Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Palm Springs is it still a dump?

It used to be swanky in the 1980’s but it’s a remodeled dump now.

by Anonymousreply 198July 4, 2019 10:14 PM

And you're typing from where?

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2019 9:26 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2019 9:28 PM

Embalmed Springs. 60 yrs is chicken.

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2019 9:29 PM

I'm still here, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2019 9:36 PM

Grammar and punctuation; is it still that difficult?

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2019 9:40 PM

Ugh! Grammar trolls are the worst. Tiresome! Get a life!

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2019 9:41 PM

There are no grammatical errors in OP’s post.

by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2019 9:49 PM

R5 where are the errors?

by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2019 9:49 PM

It’s just an old once glamorous desert town.

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2019 9:53 PM

You're all stupid.

Subject; question. It needs a comma or semi-colon.

I'm always amused by social media and web posts by functional illiterates. You have jobs where you type and no one has called you out?

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2019 9:57 PM

Is this Sony Bono's fault?

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2019 10:01 PM

R5 Answer the question, dipwad.

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2019 10:02 PM

Go back to community college, cunt crumb R12.

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2019 10:04 PM

I would have put a dash after "Palm Springs" or maybe an ellipsis (3 periods).

And "1980's" should be "1980s" without the apostrope.

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2019 10:06 PM

It's fine, OP. It sends its love.

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2019 10:08 PM

R14 wins.

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2019 10:08 PM

This is a beautiful place to visit or stay in Palm Springs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2019 10:10 PM

Palm Springs is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2019 10:12 PM

I retired in La Quinta and it is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2019 10:16 PM

[quote] We're sure Parma OH is glamorous.

GURL!

Drag her!

by Anonymousreply 20April 23, 2019 10:17 PM

R14 you are really in a dump. Don’t go in the pools.

by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2019 10:17 PM

[quote] Is this Sony Bono's fault?

Oh, DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 22April 23, 2019 10:18 PM

R20 Parma white socks..

by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2019 10:24 PM

Palm Springs real estate is grossly overpriced anymore. I wouldn't want to spend over a million for a place you can't even use several months of the year due to extreme heat.

by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2019 10:25 PM

I love grammar trolls. They're saving DL from insta and twitter speak. My 2sents. Just tryna help. Prolly not gonna tho.

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2019 10:27 PM

Poor Sony he’s a good guy ain’t he

by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2019 10:31 PM

It was fine until all the postal workers started wearing furry vest and bell-bottoms.

by Anonymousreply 27April 23, 2019 10:31 PM

"Sony" Bono's fault indeed. Here I thought it was the San Andreas Fault. Dead center of the Coachella Valley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 23, 2019 10:36 PM

Me too R19. Howdy neighbor!

by Anonymousreply 29April 23, 2019 10:37 PM

Is there still the White Party every Easter weekend? I was last there for it 20 years ago, stayed in Cathedral City.

by Anonymousreply 30April 23, 2019 10:39 PM

the question is idiotic. Palm springs has been a boom town for over 20 years and has drawn a hell of a lot of gay people to the area to retire. A sizeable chunk are well to do couples. Palm springs is at least 50% gay and because of all the money influx it isnt a tired old dump. For younger generations yes there are a lot of older people in the area, but aging happens to everyone. If you dont like to be around older people, dont visit the area..

by Anonymousreply 31April 23, 2019 10:39 PM

Sonny & Cher actually did Sony commercials in the early 70s playing off the name similarity.

Am I the only Eldergay who remembers this?

by Anonymousreply 32April 23, 2019 11:21 PM

[quote]I was last there for it 20 years ago, stayed in Cathedral City.

This is where he stayed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 23, 2019 11:39 PM

I love this hotel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 23, 2019 11:43 PM

I love vacationing in Palm Springs with a group of friends, renting a place with a pool, and just enjoying a quiet, relaxing weekend. That it's a very gay city with lots of midcentury modern architecture is a plus. What is there to hate?

by Anonymousreply 35April 23, 2019 11:43 PM

Palm Desert?

by Anonymousreply 36April 23, 2019 11:45 PM

[quote] I wouldn't want to spend over a million for a place you can't even use several months of the year due to extreme heat.

People don't live here year round, you halfwit.

This is a town where one lives 8 months out of the year. Living here year round is for The Poors.

by Anonymousreply 37April 23, 2019 11:47 PM

[quote]apostrope.

Oh, dear DEAR, r14.

by Anonymousreply 38April 23, 2019 11:54 PM

Yes it’s a dump. The only good thing about Palm Springs is Edy Williams.

by Anonymousreply 39April 24, 2019 12:19 AM

R33, I love how they're all so buoyant

by Anonymousreply 40April 24, 2019 12:19 AM

R33 If that's the Desert Palms or the Villas, you are correct. I had forgotten the names but had a flash of memory that briefly took away my senility.

by Anonymousreply 41April 24, 2019 12:23 AM

Hasn't been the same since Jilly died.

by Anonymousreply 42April 24, 2019 12:49 AM

It's a shithole with many second homes. Boom town, hardly.

by Anonymousreply 43April 24, 2019 12:58 AM

We do get the breezes, on occasion.

by Anonymousreply 44April 24, 2019 2:37 AM

Still LOL @ Embalmed Springs.

by Anonymousreply 45April 24, 2019 3:26 AM

Retirees are still flooding in. About a third of all real estate is purchased by Canadians.

by Anonymousreply 46April 24, 2019 3:30 AM

"Palm Springs" . . . Is it still a "Dump"?

by Anonymousreply 47April 24, 2019 3:31 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 24, 2019 4:11 AM

Do people shit on the sidewalks?

by Anonymousreply 49April 24, 2019 4:19 AM

I know two of the guys in r33’s photo.

Which was taken at the R3 resort in Guerneville, not in PS.

by Anonymousreply 50April 24, 2019 4:21 AM

R46 that is true about Canadiennes?

by Anonymousreply 51April 24, 2019 4:23 AM

Oh dear! I was wrong about the venue (looks like CCBC) but not about the two guys I know. Don’t I feel silly?!

(The guys are from SF, which is why I assumed the pic was from Guerneville. Carry on.)

by Anonymousreply 52April 24, 2019 4:24 AM

Housing prices take a big hit whenever the economy slows, especially in PS. It is cheap though, my ex moved from the beach and got a comparable house for a third of the cost.

by Anonymousreply 53April 24, 2019 6:24 AM

r14 I love the Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel! !

by Anonymousreply 54April 24, 2019 6:34 AM

it's nice for elder gays but lots of meth heads around

by Anonymousreply 55April 24, 2019 6:40 AM

A lot of gay couples from LA and Long Beach start with a second home there for vacations. Then after a few years, they give up city life completely and move there full time. I am not sure why, its so freaking hot 3 months out of the year you can cook an egg on the ground and everyone stays indoors or in a pool.

Because of all the gays there, everything is nicely curated. Even the McDonald's or Starbucks has nice desert landscaping. It has the largest concentration of original Mid-Century Modern homes in the US so older gay men being campy love that shit to no end. It's quite, safe, and has very good medical which are 3 key things older people look for. Plus its full of good restaurants for its size.

A friend looked into buying there about 10 years ago and now he regrets not doing so because the prices keep going up. It's become very desirable with all the gay men and how we usually clean up shitty neighborhoods. And as someone mentioned above, there are a lot of Canadians buying second homes there for some reason.

It's not really that gay. It might seem like 50% at times during a weekend event but actual numbers are below 30% gay. Which is still a lot compared to other cities. Lots of older Jewish ladies all dolled up from the 60's which is fun to watch. It's very laid back so unlike other gay areas full of older gay men like Fire Island, it doesn't have all the attitude you see on the east coast gay enclaves. Every time I have been there I always seem to meet someone from out of state or from European countries.

by Anonymousreply 56April 24, 2019 7:13 AM

[quote] Then after a few years, they give up city life completely and move there full time. I am not sure why,

I imagine because it's a slower, less hectic pace and gay-friendly. You don't have to contend with the traffic and craziness of LA. Hell, I'm nowhere near retirement, and I sometimes wouldn't mind living there.

by Anonymousreply 57April 24, 2019 7:16 AM

Yeah R57, I get that, but keep in mind when you are retired, you are not stuck in LA traffic commuting every day. There are a lot of things the city has that a small place like PS cant match.

by Anonymousreply 58April 24, 2019 7:23 AM

Palm Springs was actually in a down cycle in the 80's, I don't know what the OP is talking about. It actually got its first big wave of gays in the 90's. A lot of men who had AIDS sold everything and went there to live because it was cheap. As luck would have it, same time they discovered HIV drugs that worked and most of those guys lived. Then the word got out about how cheap it was and gays flocked there snapping up real estate and cleaning it up in the process. Now its a gay enclave of mostly men in their 40+ range. There are younger people there but its more of a party town to them on weekends or spring break.

by Anonymousreply 59April 24, 2019 7:30 AM

I have lived here for two years coming from Phoenix. My observations.

Compared to Phoenix, nothing gets built here. No new apartments. No new offices. Really nothing of any note. The only things are the Rowan project and the other that languished up the street. They seem to have great difficulty with keeping the traffic signals working. Most of the street signs are old and unreadable. Landscape-wise it is a horror show of bad design mixed with "renovated" landscape design that is even worse. The water-wise landscape design is done by untalented LA nitwits. The city has a tired old feel that has a stench of bad Mid-Century renovations by seemingly two people on every building in town. Apartments are hideous, old, overpriced and have none of the basic items found in an apartment in Phoenix, such as a washer or dryer. Overall there are more bad examples of MId-Century design that have been fucked with over and over again than examples of really great Mid-Century that have been restored properly. Sidewalks and infrastructure, again compared to Phoenix is a shambles, sidewalks and roads are in awful condition. Things you need are always "on the other side", meaning going through the pass to the coast. Doctors here non-existent, healthcare is 3rd world compared to Phoenix.

It is very small, only about 45 thousand, but the adjoining cities are toxic rich shitholes that make Scottsdale look like Mayberry in friendliness. They have their own issues also, as they seem to do everything in their power to make sure any type of multi-family projects is killed in infancy as in Palm Springs. They also make sure that any type of linking of bikeways is not completed as that would bring "undesirables" into their little upscale towns.

I do not know if I will stay here. The surrounding landscape of mountains is unique and breathtaking, but the area as in all of California suffers from such an extreme of the wealthy wanting to keep all people making less than them out by strangling any projects that can offer to house of any kind under 2000 a month for an apartment and 500 grand for a shit hovel. And yes, this is the people who live here, as it has been institutionalized by a government, local and state that makes working for the government a lottery prize and once you are in, the perpetuation of a no-build attitude is kept on track.

So overall, if you like a downgrade of basic services of a thriving clean city like Phoenix, by all means, move here, but if you want to live in a place that you know the government will have your back because you are gay, leave Arizona, and Phoenix specifically.

by Anonymousreply 60April 24, 2019 8:07 AM

You can get a fabulous house in Palm Springs for $500k, hardly a shithole. I still wouldn't want to live there but stop with the bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 61April 24, 2019 8:20 AM

R61, Fabulous? Up tour standards.

by Anonymousreply 62April 24, 2019 8:26 AM

And yes, that was TOUR standards, as I watch Mid-century devotees stand like a church congregation in front of a Deep Well remodified Mid-Century with Grecian Urns.

by Anonymousreply 63April 24, 2019 8:28 AM

[quote] Palm Springs is it still a dump?

OP is it still uneducated?

by Anonymousreply 64April 24, 2019 2:24 PM

R60 I sort of agree with you about no real new buildings, though there's been a few new things along Palm Canyon, and a few in the north PS part, which are nice and affordable but often in the windy stretch of town.

I think that has less to do with anything you've described and more to do with the whole lease land issue - where big checkerboard squares of the area are owned by Native American tribes and leased. Most developers do not want to build on lease land.

There are plenty of nice homes there, though.

by Anonymousreply 65April 24, 2019 2:28 PM

Lots of new hotels as of late.

And big warehouses for the pot industry.

And tons of snippy queens with money.

by Anonymousreply 66April 24, 2019 2:33 PM

Yes, you can cash out in LA or OC and live like royalty there but I wouldn't want to.

by Anonymousreply 67April 24, 2019 3:12 PM

What’s the lease land issue? Is it like London where houses sit on land that is leased for 99 years?

by Anonymousreply 68April 24, 2019 3:53 PM

For sisters Palm Springs is basically where those who are 'finished' - or just losers from the start - end up.

by Anonymousreply 69April 24, 2019 3:56 PM

[quote] Erna

Fetid shit eating Nazi cunt?

by Anonymousreply 70April 24, 2019 4:21 PM

Some properties in Palm Springs are on Indian-owned land, some are not. I definitely would not buy a property that is on Indian land because you could eventually be forced off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 24, 2019 4:55 PM

Last time I was there was during the Great Recession.

Unemployment 19% and half the shops were vacant/ boarded up.

Creepy, in an already creepy town filled with mostly senior citizens and antique buildings.

by Anonymousreply 72April 24, 2019 5:11 PM

Actually, no. The terms are spelled out when you purchase. Who cares if it's a 30 year lease? You'll be dead. Most lenders won't give a mortgage on a property with 5 or less years left on a lease in any case.

by Anonymousreply 73April 24, 2019 5:12 PM

What R73? Who wants to invest in a house where you don’t own the land? Even 30 years. The fact at you can’t sell it after 30 years is absurd. Why does anyone do that? It’s stupid - like pouring money down the drain.

by Anonymousreply 74April 24, 2019 5:24 PM

And we can't WAIT for you to come back, r72.

Really.

by Anonymousreply 75April 24, 2019 5:35 PM

Well, read the article in R71 to see what can happen.

by Anonymousreply 76April 24, 2019 5:37 PM

There is nothing more beautiful than swimming in a pool in Palm Springs and looking at the sky and mountains. I would buy a house there if I could afford it.

by Anonymousreply 77April 24, 2019 6:55 PM

[quote]And as someone mentioned above, there are a lot of Canadians buying second homes there for some reason.

And you can't figure out why?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 24, 2019 8:08 PM

Where are the gay communities in tree-filled areas with water? I want a forest and some shade, not a bake zone, or a strip of beach that'll be wiped out by a hurricane (Fire Island, Key West).

by Anonymousreply 79April 24, 2019 8:17 PM

I've been to PS about 5 times, and thoroughly enjoyed 4 of those times. The 5th time was during the month of June, and my love affair with PS was over. Way too hot, and everyone stayed in their pool or inside. Streets were deserted and you should a cannon down the main drag of town and not hit anything/anyone.

by Anonymousreply 80April 24, 2019 8:34 PM

Yeah, I have friends that have a condo there and they generally won't go out after the first week of June until mid September, and even then it can still be in the 100s during the day.

by Anonymousreply 81April 24, 2019 8:41 PM

I don’t get why people love Palm Springs when it’s basically unlivable outside for 4 months. Minneapolis would make more sense. Same with Florida - you avoid the winter cold but in exchange get unlivable summers.

by Anonymousreply 82April 24, 2019 9:39 PM

Can I get a decent house there for, say $250,000?

by Anonymousreply 83April 24, 2019 9:51 PM

[quote] I don’t get why people love Palm Springs when it’s basically unlivable outside for 4 months. Minneapolis would make more sense. Same with Florida - you avoid the winter cold but in exchange get unlivable summers.

Minneapolis? Where it's 40 below zero for two months? No fucking thanks.

by Anonymousreply 84April 24, 2019 10:35 PM

[quote] if you like a downgrade of basic services of a thriving clean city like Phoenix, by all means, move here,

Um you do realize that to the rest of the US Phoenix is a shit hole city! Full of Trumpiters looking for cheap rent, meth labs, and more smog, heat and humidity than any other city that size in the US. Iv been there, practically no culture everything is artificial and fabricated. About the only thing it has going for it is the University of Phoenix. Even that is a joke compared to real schools. The overall crime rate in Phoenix is 60% higher than the national average. It's not just a shit hole, its a crime ridden, smoggy, man made shit hole in the middle of nowhere.

On the plus side, rents are cheap. But then so is South Central LA.

by Anonymousreply 85April 25, 2019 9:44 AM

[quote]I don’t get why people love Palm Springs when it’s basically unlivable outside for 4 months. Minneapolis would make more sense.

People flock to warmer climates before they flock to cold ones. I know a lot of people who live in PS, they say you get used to it, and most people and places have air conditioning so its not really a problem unless you just want to sit outside for hours at a time. In cold places you have to buy a lot of heavy cloths, deal with rain, snow, driving is difficult in bad weather. Not to mention more depressing when the sky is gloomy for weeks at a time.

by Anonymousreply 86April 25, 2019 9:50 AM

PS has never been a dump. The Desert Inn started out as a Tuberculosis sanitarium in the early 1900s and eventually became a swank hotel for the rich and famous from Hollywood. I hear PS now caters more to the crowd in their 40's and the eldergays are mainly concentrated in surrounding burghs.

by Anonymousreply 87April 25, 2019 10:43 AM

[quote]Where are the gay communities in tree-filled areas with water?

Guerneville, California

by Anonymousreply 88April 25, 2019 10:47 AM

The downtown stores are mostly right out of the 1980's, filled with crap no one is interested in anymore. Aside from the bars, there's really nothing to do in PS. I happen to like older guys but the older guys there are just creepy.

by Anonymousreply 89April 25, 2019 10:57 AM

It is 102 today in Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 90April 25, 2019 11:03 AM

There are Native American owned casinos, swimming pools, many golf courses, hotels, motels, restaurants, and resale stores. Snowbirds live there in the winter. It is dry heat but it can make you feel faint or dizzy no matter how much water you drink. High noon is siesta time.

by Anonymousreply 91April 25, 2019 11:12 AM

[quote]Aside from the bars, there's really nothing to do in PS. I happen to like older guys but the older guys there are just creepy.

Are you Preping for the White Party next week Dear? Why on earth would you go to a bar full of old men expecting prince charming? Do you really think a hot, smart, older daddy is going to waste time in a bar which he probably out grew as an adult in his 20s?

Twinks there are all desperate tweekers looking for a Daddy to pay the bills. Not going to happen, you'd be lucky if you got a good ride.

by Anonymousreply 92April 25, 2019 11:54 AM

Palm Springs is for Adults. So yes, a lot straight and gay people 40+. However, I know young families that live there and raise kids there. The town used to be ground zero for Spring Break college students from SoCal when Sonny Bono was Mayor. He killed that however when he put a ban on woman wearing g-stings in public. Even with the older skew of people, it regularly gets flooded younger people for various events that seem to happen every month. Some times its straight, sometimes it gay. There is a pool everywhere you go so that a sport of the young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 25, 2019 12:08 PM

The low desert area around Palm Springs is perfect for old people. Us elders don't feel the heat like you young bucks. 100 to us feels like 85 to you.

by Anonymousreply 94April 25, 2019 12:16 PM

Hiisssssss! But is it an eldergay, a lost Twink, or an angry rattler?

by Anonymousreply 95April 25, 2019 12:25 PM

R89 There are some fun stores downtown.

What I will say is that there are some old stores run by old people. The furniture and smalls stores? All the MCM stuff? All nice, and fun to check out.

But there's little to no men's fashion, and the one store that is at the bottom of the hill on Palm Canyon is hideous. It sells what 60 year old straight men would buy. Someone with a design eye could sell the shit out of a good men's store there.

It seems like PS is in the midst of a shakeup, as some national chains like West Elm move in. Hoping the local stores stay, but wake up from their behind the times attitudes a bit.

by Anonymousreply 96April 25, 2019 1:36 PM

There's a casino here that advertises "THE LOOSEST SLOTS IN TOWN!!!!" Makes me giggle......

by Anonymousreply 97April 25, 2019 1:49 PM

I love Palm Springs. Not a dump at all. I thought the people were friendly except for the bitch at Frank Sinatra’s house. I like the old school glamour of caftans and cocktails; I felt like I was in a time machine.

by Anonymousreply 98April 25, 2019 2:03 PM

R98 Excuse me? Who you callin' a bitch?

by Anonymousreply 99April 25, 2019 2:46 PM

[quote] Living here year round is for The Poors.

Oh dear! Are there any Poors on DL who can describe life in Palm Springs in summer?

by Anonymousreply 100April 25, 2019 2:53 PM

Esta jodidamente caliente, R100.

by Anonymousreply 101April 25, 2019 2:55 PM

R92 I'm partnered to an older guy so I'm not expecting (nor looking) to find someone else. Just saying the older guys that live there seem creepy to me.

by Anonymousreply 102April 25, 2019 6:39 PM

My two visits were unpleasant, like a bunch of Taco Bell space stations on a big frying pan.

by Anonymousreply 103April 25, 2019 7:18 PM

Sigh..........some queens are just professional disparagers. Some of you hate everything, especially if anyone else likes it. And some of you couldn't be pleased or satisfied if your miserable lives depended on it. Just a pack of negative Nellies on a chat board trying to look so above it all.

by Anonymousreply 104April 25, 2019 8:21 PM

R104

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 105April 25, 2019 8:50 PM

The whole desert landscape thing does take some getting used to, I'll say that.

It is easy for things to look kind of run down to my midwestern eyes. Especially the roads, which I realized were cracked all the time because it's so dry.

And having everything be sand colored can be less than appealing to the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 106April 25, 2019 8:52 PM

Tina Sinatra is the bitch, not Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 107April 25, 2019 9:50 PM

[quote]Us elders don't feel the heat like you young bucks. 100 to us feels like 85 to you.

I'm the opposite. As a teenager/early 20s I lived in Phoenix which is just as hot as Palm Springs, and the heat didn't bother me much. Now in my "declining years" heat really gets to me.

by Anonymousreply 108April 25, 2019 9:52 PM

It's hotter than a whore in church up in here!

by Anonymousreply 109April 25, 2019 10:33 PM

Are there young gay guys living there full time ? (not talking about coachella/spring break)

by Anonymousreply 110April 25, 2019 11:47 PM

Define "young."

by Anonymousreply 111April 26, 2019 12:10 AM

Are Margie and Vern Albright still in town?

by Anonymousreply 112April 26, 2019 12:15 AM

I’d spent a number of fun weekends in Palm Springs in the 1980s-1990s. Then I went overseas for a few years and when I returned to the States I ended up moving to Palm Springs on a whim. This was in 2001.

I grew to hate it quite quickly. Though I found the desert beautiful in many ways, PS itself is a rather soulless place. It’s filled with ugly semi-abandoned strip malls. Much of the downtown shopping is kitschy/tacky. Or stylish and grossly overpriced. You pretty much have to drive everywhere. (And you’re sharing the road with people whose licenses should have been revoked years earlier.)

Worst of all, there’s precious little culture in PS. Looking for a good bookstore or live theater or live music? Forget it. Interested in any sort of alternative cultural scene? No chance of finding it there. Despite the fairly sizable gay presence, Palm Springs feels socially conservative, bland, stuck in a time warp.

It’s still a great place for a long weekend. But if you want to live somewhere stimulating, PS isn’t it.

by Anonymousreply 113April 26, 2019 12:46 AM

Yes, things went into the shitter once Kaye Ballard died.

by Anonymousreply 114April 26, 2019 12:48 AM

What other option gay men have besides Palm Springs, Fire Island and the other one in Florida ?

by Anonymousreply 115April 26, 2019 12:57 AM

Plenty of places if you aren't trying to live on the cheap.

by Anonymousreply 116April 26, 2019 12:59 AM

R114, obits said she lived in Rancho Mirage.

by Anonymousreply 117April 26, 2019 1:22 AM

It smells like fartz

by Anonymousreply 118April 26, 2019 1:25 AM

Old gays and even older Jews.

by Anonymousreply 119April 26, 2019 4:33 AM

If what r60 says is true I'm moving there ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 120April 26, 2019 4:56 AM

[quote] And some of you couldn't be pleased or satisfied if your miserable lives depended on it. Just a pack of negative Nellies on a chat board trying to look so above it all.

You've just described the entire soul of Datalounge in two sentences!

by Anonymousreply 121April 26, 2019 6:36 AM

I love Palm Springs in the winter, overseas in the Spring and Portland, OR in the Summer and Fall.

by Anonymousreply 122April 26, 2019 9:15 AM

Palm Springs has a very good premium outlet mall for fashionable, yet penny-pinching aunties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123April 26, 2019 9:22 AM

I was there fifteen years ago. It was surrounded by slums (was that cathedral city?). I mean real slums.

by Anonymousreply 124April 26, 2019 9:29 AM

[quote]Are there young gay guys living there full time ?

Yes of course, these bitter DL queens takes exaggeration to the next level you would think the whole place is a giant retirement home if you listened to to them. It's a small town like many others with young and old, gay and straight. With a slightly higher percentage of gay men with second homes. For what it's worth, I believe there are 3 high schools there, so there are plenty of kids turning into young adults in that town.

by Anonymousreply 125April 26, 2019 9:53 AM

It's full of Ultra Modern homes like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126April 26, 2019 9:57 AM

And Mid-Century Modern homes like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127April 26, 2019 10:01 AM

Sometimes it snows up in the mountains. It's not alwasy 110F. That's only during a few months of the summer which is actually their off season. When it winter in LA it's a nice sunny 70F in Palm Springs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128April 26, 2019 10:05 AM

There is a cool tram that goes up to the top of the mountain if you need to cool off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129April 26, 2019 10:09 AM

Everyone has a pool, I mean everyone!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130April 26, 2019 10:13 AM

Lucy and Desi used to call it home back in the 50's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131April 26, 2019 10:20 AM

[quote] Worst of all, there’s precious little culture in PS. Looking for a good bookstore or live theater or live music? Forget it. Interested in any sort of alternative cultural scene? No chance of finding it there.

Yeah, this is true.

I think because most people living there year round go to LA or SD for the weekends, and anyone coming in for just the weekend is basically looking to lay around the pool during the day and drink cocktails all night.

by Anonymousreply 132April 26, 2019 12:50 PM

I keep wondering if I should buy a place out there. I live in LA County; it's usually less than 90 minutes from where I live. I'm retired, so I can go anytime. But I really would like a place to get away from the heat (it's plenty hot where I am now in the summer), not someplace that's hotter. I don't need to escape from rough winters -- it's usually temperate here. But I do like PS -- I'm 66 and enjoy the slower pace out there (and less traffic.)

What I've been doing to escape the heat is rent a place somewhere cooler on VRBO for a month during July or August. I suppose I could move to PS and still do that -- just for more than one month. Is there such a thing as a reverse snowbird?

by Anonymousreply 133April 26, 2019 1:06 PM

White Party this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 134April 28, 2019 12:45 AM

Moving there in one week. This thread is depressing BUT I do have a summer escape hatch, so just going out to drop off some things and get acquainted and then will return in OCT. Coming from flyoverstan, this is thrilling for me . Just turned 62 this month.

by Anonymousreply 135April 28, 2019 12:58 AM

I sort of liked it. A good buddy of mine would go there a few times a year (from LA). It was just fun. Cheap places to stay at. Great food. It was easy. I never went for sex. I couldn't live there. The heat is brutal. But staying there for a weekend is great.

by Anonymousreply 136April 28, 2019 1:00 AM

We'll HAVE to meet, r135. I too am a 62 year old originally from flyoverstan but fled here years ago.

by Anonymousreply 137April 28, 2019 2:00 AM

The McCallum Theater has great cultural events all school season. (Have never checked what they have during the summer). Touring Broadway shows, comedians, symphony orchestras, ballets, etc.. Unfortunately it's a bit of a schlep to get there from PS proper (it's in Palm Desert). About 20-30 minutes by car depending on traffic. Mid-winter (early January) there is the International Film Festival - one of the largest in the world. A lot of the thrift stores (which the area has in abundance probably because of the old folks dying off regularly) have fairly large collections of books. The one on Palm Canyon South even has a 3-4 bookshelf long section of LGBT books. So it's not completely devoid of culture - but I agree that you have to seek it out - it's not on every street corner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138April 28, 2019 2:13 AM

Thanks 138! LOL I went flipping thru the upcoming season and there was JACK JONES! Married 6 times.. it appears he lives in the area in Indian Wells. I'll have to pass , however!

by Anonymousreply 139April 28, 2019 2:28 AM

What'a

by Anonymousreply 140April 28, 2019 2:34 AM

[quote] The McCallum Theater

Isn't this where at least one show a year features DL legend Lucie Arnaz?

by Anonymousreply 141April 28, 2019 2:46 AM

I always wanted to see the Palm Springs Follies (at that old theater downtown) but they discontinued it a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 142April 28, 2019 2:59 AM

Yeah, I remember hearing about the final Follies shows on one of our trips out. The old theater looked like a dump. I can't remember if they've razed it yet - so much development in PS lately it wouldn't surprise me.

by Anonymousreply 143April 28, 2019 3:02 AM

R133, yes, I think “reverse snowbirds” head to places like Maine, the Cape, Traverse City, MI, etc .... I think you can find plenty of temperate Northern cities that are cooler than 100 degrees, but youll have humidity to deal with ... I think northeastern Ohio is great in the summer and real estate is cheap ... plenty of gay friendly areas ...

by Anonymousreply 144April 28, 2019 3:15 AM

Saugatuck/Douglas/Holland, MI is lovely

by Anonymousreply 145April 28, 2019 3:16 AM

R144 where in NE Ohio?

by Anonymousreply 146April 28, 2019 3:16 AM

Depends what youre looking for, if its urban/inner ring suburb with easy access to the Lake and Rocky River Metropark, look at Lakewood, Rocky River, Westlake ...if its more urban, look at Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, Beachwood ...

Summers are full of festivals, music (Cleveland Orchestra Blossom Festival, Cain Park), theatre (Playhouse Square, Cleveland Public Theatre, Porterhouse)

Lake Erie Islands are nice as well ... Kellys is quieter, Put in Bay is Straighties on Spring Break but still fun.

Great state park system, google Hocking Hills, Salt Fork, Maumee, Geneva, all in different parts of the state.

Columbus is great too, but no lake.

by Anonymousreply 147April 28, 2019 3:24 AM

Summer 2019 in CLE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148April 28, 2019 3:29 AM

Strangely I know 2 retired couples who spend summers in Clevaland area - near the lake. Nice old houses and cheap condos. Interesting city. Not a top pick - but affordable and better than PS in the summer.

Personally, traveling and /or doing Airbnb for a month or two seems more logical - especially in retirement where you want free cash and minimal financial commitments.

by Anonymousreply 149April 28, 2019 3:32 AM

Anywhere in the Pacific Northwest or Rocky Mountain states would be blissfully cool in summer compared to Palm Springs. I live in the Pacific Northwest. Many people that I know, (of sufficient means, of course), spend about 5 months in Palm Springs, and the rest of the year in the Pacific Northwest. Obviously, that's only practical for people who have retired. It's possible to get a season rental in PS area (usually 3 months) for about $4000 and nicer places for about $6000, so that's within reach for retirees of middle class means. But there are hassles involved - finding a reliable house sitter for their homes in the north, or spending a bunch of time and money winterizing it, travel back and forth, scheduling doctor and dental appointments so that they don't fall during away time, setting up kitchens with condiments and spices for cooking while in PS, budgeting for entertainment and shopping in PS, making arrangements for pets if they have them, etc. I dream about doing it (I hate Pacific Northwest dreary winters), but I'm not sure I'll have the energy and financial resources to do it when I retire.

by Anonymousreply 150April 28, 2019 3:32 AM

I'll be doing the PS/Traverse City junket.

by Anonymousreply 151April 28, 2019 3:36 AM

R151, that sounds ideal ... have a guest room???

by Anonymousreply 152April 28, 2019 3:38 AM

Thanks R147.

I am from that general region and we've thought about doing PS for most of the year and finding a cheaper place for summer. We have a good friend in CLE that bought a condo for $30K near Lakewood, so it's very attractive financially, and it's lovely during the summer months. (Like all rust belt cities, Cleveland has its rough spots, but so much of what's near the lake is very nice.)

We did Toledo/Maumee as a road trip overnight break and while the city itself is a bit in need of a shine up, I was surprised at the parks and some of the homes. Wouldn't want to buy there, myself, but can see why it's attractive.

Milwaukee is another option on our list now - cheaper than Chicago with a few nice lakeside areas, but not quite as cheap. We'll see.

by Anonymousreply 153April 28, 2019 2:52 PM

100 degrees temperature with 30% humidity is not uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 154April 28, 2019 3:25 PM

Funny to see all the Cleveland plugs on this thread. I spent my 1st eleven yrs in Cleve Heights and then we moved to Kansas City. The summers there were a complete shock to us and never did acclimate to 50 years later. . In Cleveland its important to be as close to lake as possible for temp. moderation.

R154 is that the norm in P.S.? I am hoping for 15 -20 percent humidity at that temp?

by Anonymousreply 155April 28, 2019 3:35 PM

There's very little humidity in California, unless you count the fog.

by Anonymousreply 156April 28, 2019 3:39 PM

Maybe the ideal situation is to find a family that wants to trade houses. Are there places where it doesn't get that warm, even in the summer?

by Anonymousreply 157April 28, 2019 3:41 PM

R153, NEO is cheap, but Ive never seen a condo for $30K in the last 15-20 years ... in a respectable area by the Lake ...if that was recently, they got a deal .... Id buy one now at that price and rent it. It’d be paid off in 30 months ... lol

by Anonymousreply 158April 28, 2019 6:52 PM

R133, if you want to escape from the heat, don't buy a place in Palm Springs. That would be jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Buy a mountain cabin. Maybe in Idyllwild (which is artsy and gay friendly), Big Bear Lake, Julian or even somewhere in the Sierra Nevada.

by Anonymousreply 159April 28, 2019 7:00 PM

Suzanne Somers has been trying to buy the Plaza Theatre (formerly home of “The Fabulous Palm Springs Follies”).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160April 28, 2019 7:12 PM

Is that photo in R148 truly from a "summer festival," with all those heavy winter coats?

by Anonymousreply 161April 28, 2019 9:45 PM

Lol, no thats the day after Easter ...

by Anonymousreply 162April 28, 2019 11:02 PM

Gotta find out how the rental market is there. Want to do a six month (ish) rental.

by Anonymousreply 163April 28, 2019 11:28 PM

sand!

by Anonymousreply 164May 5, 2019 1:48 AM

Suzanne Somers should really avoid photo captions that include the words "rotting away".

by Anonymousreply 165May 5, 2019 1:51 AM

What else is there to do there besides and golf and drink?

by Anonymousreply 166May 5, 2019 2:28 AM

Golf, drink and then fuck, r166.

by Anonymousreply 167May 5, 2019 3:11 AM

What are the best gay resorts in PS that are clothing optional? Which one is the sleaziest?

by Anonymousreply 168May 5, 2019 10:18 AM

Sleaziest by far is CCBC. Basically an outdoor bathhouse (but much more expensive.)

by Anonymousreply 169May 5, 2019 5:46 PM

R33- That's a popular gay food called BEAR SOUP.

by Anonymousreply 170May 5, 2019 5:52 PM

The Triangle Inn.

by Anonymousreply 171May 5, 2019 8:00 PM

Yes it's a dump.

by Anonymousreply 172May 5, 2019 8:03 PM

There's a reason why people call CCBC Chlamydia Cove.

by Anonymousreply 173May 5, 2019 10:24 PM

CCBC? Name of the place, please.

by Anonymousreply 174May 6, 2019 10:23 AM

Has anyone been to the Shag gallery? I love his work; would love to get some.

by Anonymousreply 175May 6, 2019 11:06 AM

Triangle inn skews older and coupled if that helps at all. But its a great place to stay - great rooms, nice pool and hot tub and great owners.

by Anonymousreply 176May 6, 2019 2:48 PM

r174 that IS the name of the place. (It used to be called Cathedral City Boys Club, but they just use the initials now.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177May 6, 2019 4:33 PM

I want to treat my friend to a birthday vacation in Palm Spring in July. We know it will ungodly hot but we're from New England -- and we're only going to be for there one week so the heat sounds appealing.

Based on the posts above, the sleazy places have day passes. If either of us wishes to indulge.

My question is: which gay resort is on the higher end without being too stuffy? This would be a place where we could hang out at the pool, where they have those misting showers and we can have cocktails and do vacationey relaxing by a beautiful pool.

Thanks to anyone who can advise.

by Anonymousreply 178May 6, 2019 9:56 PM

Why would anyone want to live in the desert? I've never understood that. I don't even want to VISIT the desert.

by Anonymousreply 179May 6, 2019 11:31 PM

R178 Kekoria is beautiful

by Anonymousreply 180May 7, 2019 2:24 AM

R179 the desert has a spiritual healing effect at night time. It’s true and it feels good. I would live there in a hot minute if I could work it all out.

by Anonymousreply 181May 7, 2019 2:25 AM

Korakia Pensione is a gorgeous resort. No TVs or telephones though. It’s not gay

by Anonymousreply 182May 7, 2019 2:29 AM

^ It’s beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 183May 7, 2019 2:30 AM

Oh, please come visit, r179. We'd love to see you.

Really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184May 7, 2019 2:46 AM

Brandini Toffee is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 185May 7, 2019 12:54 PM

Is she a drag queen?

by Anonymousreply 186May 7, 2019 3:49 PM

Palm Springs is surrounded by meth heads. One wrong turn, and you're in the thick of it.

by Anonymousreply 187May 7, 2019 4:10 PM

Only in CA could Palm Springs be considered the “cheap “ place to live. Looking at listings, I would never pay that much money for those crappy condos. And any decent house is ridiculously expensive for the average person. I’d take Houston or Florida before this. Waaaay too expensive.

by Anonymousreply 188May 7, 2019 4:18 PM

r188 Some of us can't deal with humidity, not to mention the political climate in those two states.

by Anonymousreply 189May 7, 2019 4:24 PM

I absolutely LOVE PS. All I have to do I jog down Warm Sands Drive shirtless in the early evening and I am guaranteed to get laid. It’s free, fast, and they have their own hotel room.

by Anonymousreply 190May 7, 2019 5:55 PM

[quote] I’d take Houston or Florida before this. Waaaay too expensive.

Except both of those are full of Waaaay to many Trumpeters. Not to mention Florida has a rising crime rate due to all the international drug lords who have taken over and call that place home. Texas is an arm pit. People only move there out of desperation. It's like Palm Springs without the gays, good food, and cool architecture.

by Anonymousreply 191May 14, 2019 11:55 AM

R178 "Escape" is your place!

by Anonymousreply 192May 15, 2019 6:40 AM

Should I retire there or Sarasota Florida?

by Anonymousreply 193June 21, 2019 6:27 PM

Are there palm trees there and is there a spring?

by Anonymousreply 194June 21, 2019 6:47 PM

Yes and yes.

by Anonymousreply 195June 21, 2019 6:50 PM

It's a great place to steal houses!

by Anonymousreply 196June 21, 2019 7:54 PM

Has anyone on this thread rented a home/apartment there recently?

by Anonymousreply 197July 4, 2019 10:01 PM

R196 You goddamn bitch!!

by Anonymousreply 198July 4, 2019 10:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!