Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Leontyne Price sings her final MET AIDA: Oh, Patria Mia

This is one of the greatest moments in opera history and in opera on TV.

Leontyne Price was retiring from the operatic stage after one of the most loved singers in history.

She sings her signature aria (Oh Patria Mia) in her signature role (Aida). She shapes each phrase with such magnificence.

She was rewarded with a 5 minute ovation at the end of her aria as the audience was learning it would be her last appearance on the Metropolitan Opera stage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2019 8:46 PM

[quote]She was rewarded with a 5 minute ovation at the end of her aria

When she caught that baton as sparks illuminated her tear-stained face.

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2019 8:03 PM

Price was, for me, the greatest opera singer of her generation. Pure velvet

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2019 8:07 PM

She's my favorite Cio Cio San .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2019 8:16 PM

Goddess.

Watch the fascinating documentary The Opera House about the first season of the MET and what it took to get it built. NO way we could build something as complex today in NYC.

Price, now in her 90's, is interviewed and she's as smart as a tack, hilarious too.

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2019 8:40 PM

Here's a minute-long segment from The Opera House with Price

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2019 8:41 PM

Leontyne, rocks!

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2019 11:36 PM

The greatest voice I've ever heard in any musical genre

by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2019 4:54 PM

Overrated and a bit uppity if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2019 4:59 PM

Chicago Police Department (CPD) has photos of the Os*ndairo brothers driving in a car with ‘Empire’ star J*ssie Sm*llett in the days leading up to the hoax hate crime.

The rank and file members of the Chicago Police Department are furious that Cook County state’s attorney Kim F*xx intervened to drop sixteen felony counts against Sm*llett and as more evidence, such as these photographs, continue to surface, it becomes even harder to understand Kim F*xx’s decision.

The files containing the photos were first released by the Chicago area blog CWB Chicago and reviewed by The Daily Caller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2019 5:26 PM

^^^WRONG THREAD^^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2019 5:33 PM

Didn't Oprah give her some earring or a necklace for being divine?

by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2019 5:34 PM

R10, The Troll posting that on every thread

by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2019 5:38 PM

R12, who is trolling who? We are apparently not allowed to have threads dedicated to the Tupac of Hate Crime Hoax Artists.

How else to get out the news?

by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2019 6:08 PM

R13, no one cares

This about about La Lionessa Leontyne

by Anonymousreply 14April 24, 2019 7:10 PM

Astonishing breath control in that aria considering that she was retiring from opera.

Those Prima Donna albums she made, singing solos from different eras and styles, is a tour de force that I don't think any other singer has equaled. It's a three-CD set now (complete), if anyone is interested.

The first of the LPs had a square cut in the center of the cover, and when I visited a friend who owned it I always held it up and stuck my own face in the hole, because gay life is very sophisticated and arty.

by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2019 7:22 PM

^^^ Those albums ARE a tour de force.

Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2019 8:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!