Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hey Eldergays, at what age did you just say, "Fuck it, I'm gonna be me. Fuck the haters?"

For instance you stopped giving a fuck what people said about your. If you wanted to wear jorts, you put on a pair of jorts. You turned off the pop station and just listened to the classic rock or classic R&B or classic whatever station? That you had no clue who half the stars were on a MTV awards show. I have a gut and I'm going to the beach shirtless. That kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 39April 25, 2019 11:49 PM

ummm Never

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2019 4:37 PM

In my mid-40s.

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2019 4:38 PM

My dad wears jorts. And he tucks in his t-shirt, wears a belt.

He won't stop. I tried.

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2019 4:42 PM

Age 28

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2019 4:44 PM

Around 16-17

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2019 5:03 PM

I'm 66 and I'm sort of easing into that phase right now ... it's really difficult, but it's very liberating!

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2019 5:05 PM

Jorts (had to google that) are just sign that you're white trash.

The equivalent would be shorts made out of the same material as sweatpants (fleece?)

by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2019 5:12 PM

Not caring to follow trends or the latest fashion is one thing, but I see people in stores who clearly just don't give a shit any longer. Their hair looks like it hasn't been washed in weeks their clothes are wrinkled and dirty. I am 67 and have always attempt to look my best if out in public, but I don't care about what is the in look at the current moment. Old people wearing the latest fashion that is designed for people in their 20's just look silly.

by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2019 5:13 PM

18. I was a queer peg who was never gonna fit in pre fab holes.

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2019 5:16 PM

some time in my forties, yes, zero fucks given

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2019 5:18 PM

21 or 22. I'm 65.

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2019 5:21 PM

16. It took more energy to construct a conformist image, I always feel someone can see right through that phoniness of pretending to be among the 90% when one is part of the 10%, plus it's unfair to me and to the minority to pass as someone I'm not. If I feel isolated and removed from being individualistic without violating the social contract, someone else does too, and we need to identify and find each other.

This is larger than setting out what one wears, it's the "I watch the shows everyone else watches, although I'd rather be doing something else," "I listen to commercial radio so I have conversation topics available for coworkers who seem to enjoy commercial radio," adaptation to ephemeral mass trends and current styles and trends.

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2019 5:32 PM

Never

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2019 5:33 PM

The Four-F Rule to not giving a shit:

1) you don't Feed me,

2) you can't Fire me,

3) I don't want to Fuck you, and

4) fresh out of Fucks to give

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2019 5:40 PM

Mid-40s, yes. For me it was twofold: great to stop worrying what the other young people thought, and also great no longer kowtowing to older or perceived authority figures.

When you’re older, you can get out of things, and your quirks get excused. It’s great. One of a handful of compensations for aging. I can’t wait till I’m really old and can say terrible things, and people will just tolerate it.

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2019 5:53 PM

As soon as I retire I will really not give a fuck.

I don’t now but sometimes have to pretend to.

That shit will stop when I don’t have to go in to work everyday.

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2019 5:57 PM

Early 40s for everything except weight. I care about not being fat. I started caring after 45 when I lost the extra weight and remembered how I looked and felt when I was thin. This led to buying nicer clothes that fit properly. The rest - no fucks to give.

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2019 6:01 PM

Around 30.

by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2019 6:04 PM

[quote] I see people in stores who clearly just don't give a shit any longer. Their hair looks like it hasn't been washed in weeks their clothes are wrinkled and dirty.

Where do you live chief, and what sort of stores are you shopping in?

Goodwill?

by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2019 6:06 PM

Oh yes, suddenly weight is my pretty much my number one care. It has to be, because the days of no longer thinking about it disappear along with youth.

by Anonymousreply 20April 23, 2019 6:06 PM

33. I told my wife (now ex)

by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2019 6:18 PM

I am there age 47.

by Anonymousreply 22April 23, 2019 6:22 PM

I've lied so much about being gay that, now that I'm generally out, I don't have the guts to tell people at work.

I don't socialize with them anyway, but they would just look at me and wonder why the hell I lied.

by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2019 6:48 PM

It's not like you wake up one morning and decide "I'm gonna be me from now on." It comes in stages.

"All my life I've been that way, it happened long ago"

by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2019 6:51 PM

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2019 7:03 PM

I was too skinny throughout high school and college, and then i was overweight after college. I just wouldn;t get fucked very much. Then when I hit 29 I became massively ill (endocarditis), and lost weight and was at a great medium weight. I got fucked CONSTANTLY for about three-four years. At first I really bought into it and started going to the gym a lot, but then i realized that I was the same person as I had always been, and I was just being fucked because I was at the right weight and at the right time of my life. I stopped being so slutty, and I stayed roughly in shape but stopped going so much to the gym. Since then, I still pick up men but not so often, and just don't care that much about it--I felt like I was getting approval just for the shape of my body and not who I really was as a person.

I am amazed that looks matter so much to people for decades and decades. I look at men in their fifties and older who are still obsessed with how they look and wonder just how shallow they have to be to value that above everything else. Going to the gym enough so that it makes a huge difference takes a lot of time, and I feel as I get older I am more interested in using my time in different ways. it helps my libido is not nearly so active as it was when I was thirty, though. I only need to cum about twice a week now--when i was 30, I had to cum 2-3 times a day, so sex was constantly on my mind.

by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2019 7:09 PM

I know this site types elderly, but damn... how old do you have to be to consider listening to commercial radio as a means to being one of the ‘cool kids’??

by Anonymousreply 27April 25, 2019 8:27 PM

25 yrs old

by Anonymousreply 28April 25, 2019 8:33 PM

Just yesterday after I watched Madonna's new video. If she can do it, so can I.

by Anonymousreply 29April 25, 2019 8:38 PM

I never said it as I always fit in ...and as to the eldergays...........wording, go fuck yourself

by Anonymousreply 30April 25, 2019 8:44 PM

R29: Madonna looks old and pathetic singng pop-tunes in young gear now. Same for Mariah and Janet. After a certain age - retire or act.

by Anonymousreply 31April 25, 2019 9:25 PM

In my 20's, I worried what people thought about me.

In my 40's, I didn't care what people thought about me.

In my 60's, I realized people aren't thinking about me at all.

by Anonymousreply 32April 25, 2019 9:31 PM

by Anonymousreply 33April 25, 2019 9:33 PM

Jorts are classic, not at all trashy. I mean, what other fabric would they be? Twill? That’s very limiting, fashion-wise.

by Anonymousreply 34April 25, 2019 9:43 PM

True R 32!!!

by Anonymousreply 35April 25, 2019 9:55 PM

I’d say btw 29 and 33. I’m 35 now.

by Anonymousreply 36April 25, 2019 9:59 PM

I have never cared what anyone thinks. I went to Quaker school where you are expected to be who you are and make your own decisions. I was surprised to discover in my 20s that everyone else was following each other.

by Anonymousreply 37April 25, 2019 11:46 PM

R37 = Dick Nixion’s ghost

by Anonymousreply 38April 25, 2019 11:48 PM

Or Nixon, even

by Anonymousreply 39April 25, 2019 11:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!