Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Royce and Marilyn, let's discuss!

I did a search, but found nothing on these two wonderful campy ladies. Lets talk about them and the documentary about them here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 22, 2020 11:25 PM

Come on, does no one else enjoy watching these two?

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2019 4:06 PM

There were threads a few years ago. Yes, the phrase "It's a garbage hole!" has entered my vocabulary.

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2019 4:29 PM

Horrible

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2019 4:50 PM

I want that hat.

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2019 4:54 PM

Too bad those two old birds are dead. They were a hoot. Ever suffering Marilyn and haughty Miss I'm better than everyone Royce. I'm just surprised Royce didn't die by Marilyn's hand.

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2019 5:19 PM

They were best friend for many years, and like an old couple, were very loyal to each other despite the bickering.

by Anonymousreply 6April 25, 2019 9:05 AM

Here's a link to the documentary. It's quite a slog (almost 3 hours), but answers most questions about these two unique characters from a bygone era.

I'm believe Royce would not be happy with the skeletons from her past being exposed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2020 6:45 AM

You know nothing! Nothing!

by Anonymousreply 8August 22, 2020 6:49 AM

They're what I imagine most D listers to be; whinging old bitches living in squalor with delusions of grandeur.

by Anonymousreply 9August 22, 2020 8:34 AM

Royce reminds me of a cross between Elaine Stritch and Patsy Stone

by Anonymousreply 10August 22, 2020 9:37 AM

Why do i get the impression that Royce never had money, and never was from money or society? I think she is full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 11August 22, 2020 10:03 AM

Does Royce have bipolar or dementia or is she just an angry drunk?

by Anonymousreply 12August 22, 2020 10:09 AM

I think SNL watched Royce & Marilyn a la Grey Gardens

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 22, 2020 10:28 AM

I think Marilyn might have been a bit of a lesbo.

by Anonymousreply 14August 22, 2020 11:18 AM

Royce's whole purpose for living was to convince people she was a woman of money, how sad. Unfortunately there's plenty of people who are exactly the same. Seems she, and they, have really wasted their lives.

by Anonymousreply 15August 22, 2020 11:37 AM

Royce is a very unhappy, insecure, dissatisfied, lonely woman.

by Anonymousreply 16August 22, 2020 11:41 AM

I think Royce's past was one of much more affluence. But people like her are a dime a dozen in Los Angeles. Old crazies (especially old faded movie stars) who once live much more prosperous lives but lost it all and rather than come to grips with their current reality they live in the past trying to lie themselves into believing they're still what they once were. Royce was a low rent Norma Desmond.

by Anonymousreply 17August 22, 2020 11:43 AM

At the end of the documentary she looks like Joan Collins without money

by Anonymousreply 18August 22, 2020 11:51 AM

The documentary provides some clues to what led these two to their sad fates.

Royce admits she's an alcoholic. Court documents show a history of abusive, dysfunctional relationships. After being kicked out of the Stillwell Hotel and relocating to an even worse 'shit/garbage hole,' Royce is moved into subsidized housing.

Marilyn had children, but no mention of whether or not she maintained a relationship with them. She also mentioned a cousin living in the Pacific Northwest. She suffered a major health decline several years after the hotel interviews took place and is almost unrecognizable in the nursing home, but appears to be lucid.

Royce also seems to remain lucid, but is also unable to live independently.

My takeaway is neither of them had the wherewithal or a plan for retirement. Royce's delusions of grandeur and Marilyn's willingness to join her in this fantasy world took them down a path of making many poor choices. The financialization of the economy that occurred in the '80s and '90s exacerbated this even further.

As sad as the story may be, at least it looks like neither of them ended up on the street. I'm not so sure that would be the case today.

by Anonymousreply 19August 22, 2020 7:30 PM

I'm shocked that Marilyn died before Royce. Royce looked like she was embalmed the whole way through the documentary. I guess all the booze kept her body from spoiling.

by Anonymousreply 20August 22, 2020 11:10 PM

I enjoyed this documentary but it was a liter more depressing than I had anticipated. I always wonder about the people who live in sros. I know they’re not all junkies.

by Anonymousreply 21August 22, 2020 11:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!