Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Plastic how can I stop?

Everything is in plastic. I finally care about the oceans but every day to day item is encased in plastic.

by Anonymousreply 63April 26, 2019 11:34 PM

Try to buy less stuff in plastic. Put your plastic in recycling. Voice your concerns with the manufacturer.

No one's perfect, every little bit helps. At least that's what I tell myself.

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2019 2:26 AM

Thank you R1 I recycled last week. I want to stop drinking beverages from plastic too.

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2019 2:29 AM

Bottled water is the worst.

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2019 2:37 AM

I look for things I need in glass, cans or paper. I buy eggs in cardboard cartons, and I save those thin plastic bags used for produce and reuse them at the store when I need vegetables or fruit.

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2019 2:43 AM

As if ANYTHING you did would affect the oceans. Get over yourself, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2019 2:44 AM

Change your tampon, R5.

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2019 3:01 AM

Why the hostility, R5?

by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2019 3:01 AM

If you were a frau, OP, you'd already know about Bea Johnson and how to have a plastic-free, zero waste home. She has 350,000 followers on social media!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2019 3:02 AM

If you really care about plastic pollution, stop buying anything from China or India, the countries provide the bulk of the plastic refuse that ends up in the sea.

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2019 3:04 AM

Buy a 4ocean bracelet? might take away from your plastic guilt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2019 3:13 AM

You can melt it and have some doctor inject it into your body!

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2019 5:39 AM

Stop shopping at Walgreens or any store that continues handing out millions of plastic bags every day.

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2019 5:42 AM

Paper bags don’t hold up to wet garbage.

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2019 5:56 AM

It's too late. You not using plastic isn't going to help. Can you get everyone to stop? If you can't than your efforts will be in vain.

It's like saying I will throw a glass of water on the house fire. It won't help put out a house fire. So you can throw a thousand glasses on it, it won't put it out. You need a thousand people throwing glasses. Do you have hundreds of million people agreeing to do this? No? Then why bother.

And don't give me that bullshit "If everyone did..." crap. "If" means "IF" and since that isn't applicable it carries no value.

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2019 6:02 AM

Here you go, OP. Have fun!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2019 6:17 AM

Stop buying cheap crap. Plastic is the cheapest materiel to may anything out of from a bottle to a chair. You can buy cloth or canvas shopping bags for 1 dollar at most grocery stores. Use glass instead of disposable containers for food. Stop using straws and drink from a glass like an adult.

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2019 6:51 AM

If they hadn’t banned hemp this would be a non-issue.

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2019 6:54 AM

R14, we've got to try. Change has got to start somewhere even if it's woefully late. Buy glass, aluminum or things in paper. Tell waiters you don't need a straw. Get a stainless steel water bottle. Bring your own cup for coffee to go. Get some bamboo utensils to store in your glove compartment or bag to eat on the run. Get reusable grocery and produce bags. Try to buy things that are better made and will last longer, even if it is more expensive. Try to repair things or buy second hand. Avoid buying things that maybe cute and cool, but are just plastic junk in the long run.

It won't be perfect and it won't be easy, but as you change your mindset and get used to thinking about it, you'll get better.

by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2019 7:33 AM

The oceans have so much plastic junk and it’s hurting the sea life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2019 11:10 AM

r14 is too fatalistic. You make the difference in YOUR life, OP, and the repercussions will be there.

Most of us will never know if we make a difference but by god it is your duty to get the fuck up every day and TRY!

by Anonymousreply 20April 23, 2019 11:11 AM

The straws are horrible. No more straws! We have lips, a throat to swallow with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2019 11:13 AM

I never recycle anything but I’m starting to do so.

by Anonymousreply 22April 23, 2019 11:16 AM

For bottles if you do not have access to good tap water them Brita water filer bottles are a great choice.

by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2019 11:22 AM

I think we need to do our part but where the fuck is science and industry? By now, knowing what we know there should be a biodegradable version of plastic in the market place or a plastic alternative.

by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2019 11:51 AM

R24 I agree with you. They need to stop making so much plastic.

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2019 11:54 AM

I bought a set of five nylon bags that I use when I grocery shop. They are washable, too.. as the bags can get a little gross, after so many uses. I got them through Amazon, which has other types of bags, too. I'll have to be more mindful about food packaging. I don't always do that. I recycle when I can. I'm trying to get this more into my conscious.

by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2019 12:22 PM

I also use silicone and metal straws...washable and reusable.

by Anonymousreply 27April 23, 2019 12:25 PM

I think they need to go after those industries who are dumping into the oceans in the first place. You and I using plastic straws and throwing them away to go in landfills is a problem, but not the ocean problem. They're missing the mark here.

by Anonymousreply 28April 23, 2019 3:54 PM

You "finally" care about the ocean? What were you doing before, working up your nerve?

by Anonymousreply 29April 23, 2019 5:22 PM

Stop using plastic hypodermic needles.

Snort your smack instead.

by Anonymousreply 30April 23, 2019 5:25 PM

How are you gonna carry your grocery bags in the rain in they are made of paper? They are gonna charge 5 cents for shitty paper. Fucking cunts. I like plastic bags, I reuse mine all the time.

by Anonymousreply 31April 23, 2019 5:31 PM

R31 buy reusable cloth bags! They sell them everywhere now!

by Anonymousreply 32April 23, 2019 5:34 PM

R32. cloth? How is it gonna hold up? Doesn't sound like it can hold heavy items well.

by Anonymousreply 33April 23, 2019 5:38 PM

Get a gorgeous wicker basket, R33

by Anonymousreply 34April 23, 2019 5:40 PM

Great scene from the movie "The Graduate" circa 1967. Friend of the family calls Ben aside at his college graduation party and says he has one word for him - "plastic". Can we reverse 50 years of insanity? Recycle everything you can. Refuse bags both paper and plastic and bring reusable bags.

by Anonymousreply 35April 23, 2019 5:59 PM

Keep your laws off my Tupperware.

by Anonymousreply 36April 23, 2019 6:08 PM

Combined, all of the real Housewives have more plastic in their bodies than in all of the plastic bottles produced in one year.

by Anonymousreply 37April 23, 2019 6:18 PM

Flour, cereals, pasta can all be weighed and purchased in your own glass containers in some grocery shops or at food markets. Hot beverages to go can also be served into your personal container. Usually it's no problem.

by Anonymousreply 38April 23, 2019 6:21 PM

I drink water from a metal flask that I carry everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 39April 23, 2019 6:22 PM

Everything R18 said + get your own glass containers for cereal, flour, rice, pasta, dried fruit... It works.

I've also decided to boycott Forbes 40. That is everything from everyone on that list. They don't need a cent from me, and they need to pay their taxes so that every citizen can access quality healthcare and education.

by Anonymousreply 40April 23, 2019 6:25 PM

R31 is an idiot, anyone can use those so-called "tote" bags (textile) to go grocery shopping, who needs plastic anyway.

by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2019 6:27 PM

YEP R35.

by Anonymousreply 42April 23, 2019 6:27 PM

You guys must be shopping at health food stores or fancy niche markets. Almost all my food comes in plastic of some form. I don't have the option of using glass containers for pasta or cereal.

by Anonymousreply 43April 23, 2019 6:27 PM

[quote] It's too late. You not using plastic isn't going to help. Can you get everyone to stop? If you can't than your efforts will be in vain. It's like saying I will throw a glass of water on the house fire. It won't help put out a house fire. So you can throw a thousand glasses on it, it won't put it out. You need a thousand people throwing glasses. Do you have hundreds of million people agreeing to do this? No? Then why bother. And don't give me that bullshit "If everyone did..." crap. "If" means "IF" and since that isn't applicable it carries no value.

Fuck this. I understand that it seems daunting and pointless, but I refuse to make this issue worse.

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2019 6:28 PM

R21 your lips are meant for bitching and sucking, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 45April 23, 2019 6:28 PM

Really? What’s wrong with plastic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2019 6:30 PM

As an elder gay, I remember the days when everything you bought was put in a paper bag, no matter how small or large.Plastic hadn't been developed yet that was not biodegradable. When it became available to use we all thought-- like in the Graduate-- it was wonderful but now has turned into an environmental nightmare!

by Anonymousreply 47April 23, 2019 6:58 PM

Hospitals are the worst about plastic, imo.

Everything is disposable and wrapped in plastic. It's disgusting how much is thrown away after one use. They don't even reuse blood pressure cuffs anymore, FFS! Those are disposable plastic as well.

Madness!

by Anonymousreply 48April 23, 2019 7:12 PM

I know someone already mentioned this.. but, can't a plastic type bag be invented that is biodegradable? I'm sure that solution exists, but the cost is too high.

by Anonymousreply 49April 24, 2019 3:07 AM

Those nylon shopping bags are surprisingly strong. I've put in heavy milk/juice cartons, cans, gallon laundry detergent, etc... and filled them up. They are heavy to carry, but nothing is breaking through or ripping.

by Anonymousreply 50April 24, 2019 3:15 AM

I carry a super nice glass with silicon to go cup with me everywhere, Starbucks, anywhere. I try to only use possibly one take out cup a week, or none.

I sometimes carry a glass container and ask to weigh it when using it for take out foods.

by Anonymousreply 51April 24, 2019 3:21 AM

R34 = Sebastian Flyte

by Anonymousreply 52April 24, 2019 4:41 AM

Cereal belongs in a GLASS CANISTER!

Not only is it visually appealing, you can see if they cheated you out of raisins.

by Anonymousreply 53April 24, 2019 4:44 AM

R49, they are developing cellulose film for packaging that is compostable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 24, 2019 4:50 AM

Reuse your rubbers.

by Anonymousreply 55April 24, 2019 6:56 AM

Bless you, OP, for caring and making an effort.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 24, 2019 7:05 AM

Support local efforts and set an example in using reusable and biodegradable things. Especially if you're attractive. Everyone will copy you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 24, 2019 7:07 AM

They should make an international global “Pick up Trash Day!” It could bring awareness to plastic pollution.

by Anonymousreply 58April 25, 2019 12:21 AM

I don’t recycle because I’m not sure if some items are recyclable and if I need to wash it.

by Anonymousreply 59April 25, 2019 12:24 AM

R51 where did you buy your silicone glass cup.

by Anonymousreply 60April 25, 2019 12:26 AM

R60... Check Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 61April 26, 2019 10:45 PM

I’m just glad I’m 49 and don’t care about the future of the environment. I don’t reuse or recycle.

by Anonymousreply 62April 26, 2019 10:51 PM

I think we could pay more taxes to have ever better recycling and very interesting results from incineration. It doesn't all need to end up in oceans. A grocery chain just offered to build an enormous many many acre greenhouse to grow peppers in the winter and the local Greens had a conniption fit, somehow. The peppers would be organic and not polluted - they just get the heat from the incinerator -- but the Greens blocked it.

by Anonymousreply 63April 26, 2019 11:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!