Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Is it the best movie ever? Yes. Angela Lansbury deserved the Best Actress Oscar, not Hanoi Jane. And whoever cut the film to minimize Roddy McDowall’s small but integral part should be shot.

No movie is better than this. No movie ever will be. It’s just not physically possible. So roll over, [italic]Citizen Kane[/italic] and tell [italic]Vertigo[/italic] the news.

by Anonymousreply 48July 19, 2019 9:13 AM

How have you been, resident B & B troll?

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2019 11:59 AM

I remember seeing this movie at Radio City Music Hall back when they showed movies. I loved it as a kid, strange thing for an adult to be obsessed over OP. I doubt it holds up very well.

by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2019 12:03 PM

Fine until Disney unrestored it. That they cut 20 minutes that explained the plot was one thing. To cut another 20 minutes upon reissue was an act of war.

Disney should not be allowed to exist after that. I haven’t given them a dime since that cut version-only Blu-day came out.

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2019 12:03 PM

If only the Radio City audience could have seen the whole thing. The way Disney treated the Shermans by gutting their shows was just ungrateful and petty, and to turn around and do it to Kasha and Hirschhorn for the similarly underrated [italic]Pete’s Dragon[/italic] was just a dick move.

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2019 12:05 PM

No OP it is far from the best movie ever. It's a nice family movie but that's it. Are you taking medication for your mental problems?

by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2019 12:09 PM

I've never seen it and I probably never will. Angela Lansbury is unbearable. She's a hammy amalgam of rolled eyes and swinging shoulders. Layer after layer of affectation slathered on top of affectation. Only on rare occasion will she step up to the plate and do justice to her considerable talent by actually acting. She is usually content to count her money and perform like a trained seal for her undiscerning fans.

For the reasons cited above, no Bedknobs and Broomsticks for me.

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2019 12:10 PM

R6 is projecting Julie Andrews’ faults as an actress onto Angela, who has always been the better actress and singer of the two. And what does it say when Angie had MSW, a syndication perennial to this very day, while Mrs. Edwards had three flops on TV in three different decades?

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2019 12:13 PM

It's one of those movies that reminds me of my childhood in the 80s. This and Mary Poppins, also The Love Bug , were staples for me. My grandma would record them on vhs and we would watch them together. Ahhh great days. I loved the Isle of Naboombo

by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2019 12:13 PM

Lots of invisible posts. R5 and R8 among them. Now I know why.

by Anonymousreply 9April 22, 2019 12:14 PM

Meds jokes are hate speech that make you a shill for big Pharma. Putting a stop to them would be, as Miss Price would say, a step in the right direction.

by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2019 12:15 PM

Does anyone else notice how classic Disney movies are becoming more and more obscure? Most kids today don't watch stuff like this or "Willie the singing whale" (1946) or "golliath 2" (1960) or "The Reluctant Dragon " (1941) or how about "The story of Ichabod and Mr Toad" (1949)?

by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2019 12:19 PM

What’s that got to do with my knob?

by Anonymousreply 12April 22, 2019 12:22 PM

It’s a more realistic depiction of the military than anything Jerry Bruckheimer ever pulled out of his ass.

by Anonymousreply 13April 22, 2019 12:23 PM

Why "A Step in the Right Direction" didn't get an Oscar nomination is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2019 12:36 PM

Disney cut that song, submitted “Age Of Not Believing,” and lost to the theme from [italic]Shaft[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2019 12:48 PM

R15 Thank you for letting me know that. I probably just heard it on the original cast album since IMDb doesn't list it as having been restored. I see it on YouTube with a single still with this interesting little misspelling: "cutted from "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" "

by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2019 12:53 PM

Disney fandom is strange because it includes both gays and religious conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2019 12:59 PM

R17, that would also be two groups of people who refuse to grow up.

by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2019 1:23 PM

[quote][R15] Thank you for letting me know that. I probably just heard it on the original cast album since IMDb doesn't list it as having been restored

They found everything intended for inclusion that was cut but that. All that’s left is a photo mock-up done at NTSC video resolution with still photos. Unlike similar partially lost scenes from 1954’s [italic]A Star is Born[/italic], the photos are in color.

by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2019 1:28 PM

The age of not believing is perfect. Watched bedknob and broomsticks this past Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2019 3:37 PM

Was Roddy McDowell rumored to have a small part?

by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2019 3:41 PM

This is the greatest Disney film:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2019 3:44 PM

No. Just no. Nope. I said NO!

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2019 3:47 PM

No!

by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2019 3:55 PM

Tough shit, R23 and R24. The movie is a classic and your refusal to admit it says nothing about it and everything about you.

by Anonymousreply 25April 22, 2019 3:57 PM

I like the scene in the market

by Anonymousreply 26April 22, 2019 3:59 PM

R26, stop projecting the flaws of inferior films onto this one.

by Anonymousreply 27April 22, 2019 4:02 PM

I meant R24.

by Anonymousreply 28April 22, 2019 4:02 PM

"The Age of Not Believing" is an excellent song and completely wonderful in the story!

by Anonymousreply 29April 22, 2019 4:07 PM

Why haven't they brought that to Broadway, r22?

by Anonymousreply 30April 22, 2019 4:09 PM

It won’t be cheap to do it right. I heard rumors it was finally getting done in Chicago, but no follow-ups.

by Anonymousreply 31April 22, 2019 4:11 PM

First film I ever went to see.

Terrified me.

by Anonymousreply 32April 22, 2019 4:11 PM

This is one of those movies that I loved as a child but find rather dull now.

I read a review of it where the reviewer said basically the same thing, it's a movie whose special effects and magical story seem to lose their luster for an adult.

But I can watch other children's movies and still enjoy them.

by Anonymousreply 33April 22, 2019 4:59 PM

Yes R33 revisiting childhood favorites can be trucky. I used to find most of the classic Disney's so well animated. But some of my old faves like The Aristocats and The sword in the stone look cheap now.

by Anonymousreply 34April 22, 2019 5:47 PM

That reviewer was an idiot and so are you, R32.

by Anonymousreply 35April 22, 2019 5:48 PM

Bah. When I was a child, I saw "Strangers on a Train" on television. Loved, loved, loved it. Of course, I got none of the gay sexual subtext when I was in elementary school, but I loved the starkly heightened characters throughout the film. And when I got to ride on a carousel, I always pretended it was going out of control and we were all going to die!

If you somehow prefer Bedknobs and Broomsticks, then go right ahead. But "Strangers on a Train" is really the better choice.

by Anonymousreply 36April 22, 2019 5:49 PM

I hate Strangers on a Train

by Anonymousreply 37April 22, 2019 5:53 PM

#MeToo died the day they went after Lansbury as far as I am concerned.

by Anonymousreply 38April 22, 2019 5:54 PM

No movie is better than this. It literally has everything.

by Anonymousreply 39April 22, 2019 5:55 PM

R36, fuck your square and conformist taste in movies.

by Anonymousreply 40April 22, 2019 5:57 PM

R38. I agree total over reaction by crazy lynch mob mentalists

by Anonymousreply 41April 22, 2019 6:00 PM

All the good songs went to Mary Poppins. And does anyone in this movie actually SING? The whole fucking movie is that "talk-singing" shit that Rex Harrison did whenever he was inexplicably cast in a musical. Awful movie.

by Anonymousreply 42April 22, 2019 11:43 PM

Lansbury sings "The Age of Not Believing" (Oscar-nominated) when the teenage asshole boy doesn't buy the story about the bed being able to transport them wherever they wish. She sings a couple of other forgettable songs, too, but other than that, it's Professor Brown (or whatever his name is) who sings.

Surprisingly, the kids never sing.

And again, this IS NOT the greatest children's movie ever. It's not even the best Disney movie ever.

by Anonymousreply 43April 23, 2019 3:00 PM

Give it up, OP/Matt. You're not convincing ANYONE on here that B & B is the greatest movie ever made. It's not.

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2019 3:08 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 45April 23, 2019 3:35 PM

You’re silly, OP. As a kid, I LOVED this movie and saw it at Radio City Music Hall. I recently watched it with nieces and nephews and, well, it was pretty sucky. Angela, however, is always a delight.

by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2019 3:44 PM

by Anonymousreply 47April 24, 2019 5:59 PM

R22 I couldn't watch that movie (too scary).

But is that Anne Baxter?

by Anonymousreply 48July 19, 2019 9:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!