Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ohio to change child exploitation law after 9-year-old performs in drag

Miss Mae Hem is the child drag performer at the center of the controversy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2019 4:58 AM

Good.

by Anonymousreply 1April 21, 2019 2:28 PM

So are child beauty pageants now banned?

by Anonymousreply 2April 21, 2019 2:29 PM

He's a terrible dancer (2:37 mark).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 21, 2019 2:31 PM

Excellent news

by Anonymousreply 4April 21, 2019 2:35 PM

R2 they should be

by Anonymousreply 5April 21, 2019 2:55 PM

[quote]Jerri Measley said: ‘Jacob is just a guy who likes to dress up and dance and feel pretty. It’s kind of like Halloween every time he has the opportunity to do it.’

[quote]She claims critics ‘grossly warped’ her family’s intentions. Measley does understand why people are against her son performing in a bar, but says that is the only place for him to explore drag culture.

Too fucking bad, Jerri. Drag culture is sexual and it's meant for adults. If your son likes to wear dresses and feel pretty, feel free to get him involved in age-appropriate cosplay convention stuff where he can dress like his favorite Disney princess or whatever. No child should be collecting cash tips from adults for dancing in a goddamn bar, FFS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 21, 2019 3:00 PM

Good for Ohio. Bad enough that Afghanistan has 'dancing boys' for grown men, it doesn't need to be a worldwide trend.

by Anonymousreply 7April 21, 2019 3:22 PM

Agree, R6. Why can't he dress up, dance and "feel pretty" at home? Mom basically admits that the audience of grown-up men offering cash are a necessary ingredient to her son's "exploration".

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2019 3:31 PM

I'm sure there are plenty of little boys who have/would like to put on their mum's make-up and and a sparkly dress to perform in front of the family and why not? kids performing songs and dances and plays at home is entirely normal. My dad even put a curtain up across the beam in our living room so one half could become a 'stage' when necessary (we were all girls, a boy in a dress may have been less welcome admittedly).

But performing for grown men in a bar is not normal, not at all. Why does he need to 'explore drag culture'? can't he just be a boy in a dress singing a song for his family? I feel like people's ideas of what is normal or acceptable has become seriously distorted these days.

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2019 5:15 PM

Sign the kid up for children’s theater, for a dance troupe, for ballet, whatever. There are tons of outlets for creative little kids that don’t involve dancing a in a bar for adults.

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2019 5:20 PM

This is just more of the recent acceptability of children in bars generally. It seems like breweries in particular attract parents with young children. The last time I was around extended family one of the cousins said they had recently taken their baby to a Widespread Panic concert! When I told them how inappropriate I thought that was they said, “We put earplugs in his ears!” like the biggest problem was the child’s potential hearing loss.

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2019 5:26 PM

It's sad that these kinds of laws are needed, but not surprising given how few parents actually care about their children.

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2019 5:32 PM

R10 they are not interested in their kid being "creative". They want to $exualize junior and set him on the road to earning money for them.

by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2019 5:33 PM

If he were a girl, he'd have his own show!

by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2019 9:50 PM

There's a snide article in the Guardian about this. They try to frame it as conservative push-back, with a heading about a 'Republican' wanting a change in the law, but have to concede at the end that a Democrat they quote also supports the bill on the grounds of child protection. Also some odd phrasing suggesting that the boy himself 'sparked the ire of local politicians', as opposed to the adults who are exploiting him as facilitating all of this.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/20/ohio-boy-drag-queen-law-children

by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2019 3:55 AM

^^ Because you know, making sure that people know you're woke is obviously more important than child protection, which is just for right-wing conservatives....or something.....

by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2019 4:03 AM

What about protecting children from receiving puberty blockers/hormones and undergoing genital mutilation surgeries while still a minor? Where are the Democrats standing up against that?

by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2019 4:12 AM

No R17, I don't think anyone's standing up for that, yet. When the lawsuits start coming in in a few years everyone will conveniently forget they supported these medical experiments on children.

by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2019 4:20 AM

R18, oh, THEY might forget but the Internet never forgets. That is going to be fun. Spotlighting all the people - both celebrities and regular folks - who forcefully supported medical experimentation on perfectly healthy children.

by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2019 4:24 AM

I'm sure he's a nice kid and I wish him well. That being said, I'm just not a fan of children in adults spaces. I want to return to a time where there were genuinely adult only spaces. It's gotta be frustrating to go to a bar/club and want to let loose, but feel pressured to censor yourself because there are kids around. The whole point of these places is to have an atmosphere that isn't so censored, where you can be a little crude/ wild (within reason of course ). In the past there was probably too sharp a division between children and adults (speak only when spoken to, etc ). Now the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction and people want to involve their kids in everything. As r11 pointed out, it's just out of control!

by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2019 4:29 AM

I think it's part of the way in which the demarcations between adults and children are getting much fuzzier. It goes along with parents wanting to be their children's friend rather than setting boundaries, but also the way in which children and young people are treated more like agentic adults in some ways - expected to have greater awareness of the world, while adults take forever to grow up compared with previous generations, acting as 'kidults' into our thirties.

I really feel like we need to remember that children aren't just little adults and it's we who need to draw the boundaries since they can't, and that we can't just throw away everything we know about vulnerability and the need for child-protection. This of course links in with the transing of children that is being discussed in another thread - the idea of a pre-pubecsent child as self-knowledgeable, agentic, and 'consenting' to serious medical intervention in this way is concerning.

by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2019 4:45 AM

Baby June

by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2019 4:50 AM

I really don’t see a problem with this.

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2019 4:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!