Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Should Walt Whitman be #cancelled?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 14, 2019 3:49 AM

"I have the kiss of Walt Whitman still on my lips." -Oscar Wilde [who should probably also be #cancelled]

by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2019 9:08 PM

Good luck finding anyone from the past or present who isn't "problematic".

by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2019 9:16 PM

Yes, he’s been on ABC long enough!

by Anonymousreply 3April 20, 2019 9:17 PM

Any gay who doesn't love Uncle Walt needs her card revoked.

by Anonymousreply 4April 20, 2019 9:19 PM

The person who should be #cancelled is Trump, yet we're not doing that.

by Anonymousreply 5April 20, 2019 9:26 PM

Walt Whitman was a racist, and not just towards African Americans; he was also bigoted against Native Americans, Hispanic people and Asians as well.

Yes, cancel him.

by Anonymousreply 6April 20, 2019 9:31 PM

What percentage of white Americans do you think WEREN'T racist towards those groups in the mid-late 1800s, r6?

by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2019 9:33 PM

Apparently we are going to "cancel" much of our history. A lot of people from the founding of the country through the middle of the 20th century will turn out to be "problematic."

by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2019 9:33 PM

OP, this article uses the Q-word. They’re the ones who should be cancelled. And not in a few generations but NOW!

by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2019 9:39 PM

He had such compassion for the wounded soldiers. I love his poetry.

by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2019 9:43 PM

Walt Whitman is the rock much of 20th century poetry is built on. To erase him is to erase them too and completely forget where we came from. Stupidly short-sighted.

by Anonymousreply 11April 20, 2019 9:49 PM

From the article:

"The charge of racism was particularly fraught because it was levied against Walt Whitman, the poet who in Leaves of Grass sang of American democracy as a project of radical inclusion, the poet who wrote about tending to the runaway slave, the poet who looked upon the enslaved person on the auction block and saw in them their generations of descendants, the poet who declared that the enslaved were the equal of those who enslaved them."

I give.

by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2019 10:09 PM

The author of OP’s article is a q-word user. Cancel this hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 13April 20, 2019 10:12 PM

It's a fact that Abraham Lincoln did not believe that blacks were equal to whites. He hated slavery but he believed in the supremacy of the Anglo-Saxon race.

by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2019 10:38 PM

Whatevs, we're talking about Walt.

by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2019 10:42 PM

OP has started the”Kate Smith is cancelled “ and “Let’s Be Woke Twitter” threads, can’t wait for their “Hey You Kids, Get Off My Lawn” thread next.

by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2019 10:54 PM

You're going to have a long wait r16

by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2019 10:57 PM

No, but you should be.

by Anonymousreply 18April 20, 2019 11:14 PM

We are going to measure people from the past against today’s ultra-woke standards and delete all of the impurities from history! Delete all Roman poets please — none of them ever had anything positive to say about Trans.

by Anonymousreply 19April 20, 2019 11:58 PM

Where does this end? Are they eventually going to alter the credits of that very special [italic]Silver Spoons[/italic] with Bruce Jenner as a guest star even though he was still Bruce then?

by Anonymousreply 20April 21, 2019 12:13 AM

Considering all the stuff that's taken place at his rest area ... well, you decide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 21, 2019 12:15 AM

When we start looking under every rock, nook, and cranny of every *great* artist of most genres, doubtless we will encounter much to object to. And not just from the past. Was it not just recently the King of Pop MJ was dethroned for his Pedophilia? ((although that was already known) Chaplin was equally abominable. Don't gaze close at your Heros for heaven's sake, you won't like what you see.

by Anonymousreply 22April 21, 2019 12:28 AM

We REQUIRE that our literary heroes be morally perfect, like we are!

by Anonymousreply 23April 21, 2019 11:59 AM

That’s “Woke FOLX”, you bigot

by Anonymousreply 24April 21, 2019 12:34 PM

wont dignify this crazy dumb millennial with a reply. BTW i want to read that book about Whitman and the NY gay community in 19th-early 20th century. sounds interesting. cant remember the title now.

by Anonymousreply 25April 21, 2019 12:38 PM

Walt Disney should be cancelled if Disney+ doesn’t include [italic]Song Of the South[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 26April 21, 2019 12:39 PM

Senile dementia is a bitch, eh r25?

by Anonymousreply 27April 21, 2019 12:39 PM

Walt Whitman is LITERAL VIOLENCE!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 28April 21, 2019 1:19 PM

More and more, I’m realizing that 98% of the population doesn’t deserve a voice.

Blow up Twitter now. And immediately decapitate all the employees and writers for Huntington Post, Jezebel, and JSTOR Daily.

by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2019 1:27 PM

So what white person in the 19th century was not racist?

by Anonymousreply 30April 21, 2019 1:39 PM

When will the SJWs come for Mohammed for marrying a 9-year-old girl when he was pushing 60?

Here's what you'll look like if you hold your breath long enough waiting for THAT to happen...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 21, 2019 2:13 PM

I love his samplers.

by Anonymousreply 32April 21, 2019 2:47 PM

I'm old so I don't use words like "cancelled" but I think the debate on separating a person's work from who they are as a person to be an interesting topic. Does talent or even brilliance negate actions or opinions that are wrong? I can't answer that question. I believe Michael Jackson raped young boys and I still get a buzz when I hear "Billie Jean". I believe that Lincoln thought blacks were inferior to whites but as a descendant of emancipated slaves I'm thankful for his actions. I'm not laying this at the feet of SJWs either. Humans have always wanted their heroes and idols to be unsullied. We simply live in an era where more people have the ability to expose those feet of clay.

by Anonymousreply 33April 21, 2019 3:38 PM

FFS

by Anonymousreply 34April 21, 2019 3:40 PM

r33 if we knew every private detail of every person's life, we would despise EVERYONE, including those we think we know best.

by Anonymousreply 35April 21, 2019 4:07 PM

It's amazing that we're going back and vilifying all of these long-dead icons for their past behavior when we have elected a president who is and has done far worse than any of them.

by Anonymousreply 36April 21, 2019 4:11 PM

[quote] So what white person in the 19th century was not racist?

Therein lies the problem. Whitman's attitude, or Lincoln's for that matter, is one of the factors that caused us to fail miserably at Reconstruction. Those Northern whites who were adamant about ending slavery were unable -- for a variety of reasons -- to go the next steps as far as what equality required once the war was over. It is why in the 1880s and 1890s we drifted quickly to a system of Jim Crow segregation that lasted for the next 60 years. Northern abolitionists wanted to outlaw slavery, but their fellow citizens didn't think of blacks as equals.

That is not to excuse Whitman, but to explain that he was not out of step with many of his contemporaries.

by Anonymousreply 37April 22, 2019 1:32 AM

Twenty percent of adults have a Twitter account. Just cancel Twitter, and every lazy asshole journalist who uses it as a shortcut to actual legwork.

by Anonymousreply 38April 22, 2019 1:47 AM

I don't believe in cancelling people. However, mainstream history always seems to ignore the racist views of its important figures. Society should just paint a full and honest picture of its historical figures rather than trying to sweep their bigotry under a rug.

by Anonymousreply 39April 22, 2019 2:34 AM

I hope not. I love his chocolates!

by Anonymousreply 40April 22, 2019 2:52 AM

While we're at it, let's cancel Richard Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Lewis Carroll, and Mother Theresa. You say 'hero', I say 'zero', 'hero!' 'zero!' HERO!! ZERO!! Let's call the whole thing off.

by Anonymousreply 41April 22, 2019 3:20 AM

NO!!

by Anonymousreply 42April 22, 2019 3:59 AM

I hate you Walt freakin’ Whitman! Leaves of grass, my ass!

by Anonymousreply 43April 22, 2019 4:04 AM

Do you mean "canceled" by any chance, OP?

by Anonymousreply 44April 22, 2019 4:08 AM

^ Both spellings are correct.

by Anonymousreply 45April 22, 2019 4:18 AM

What is still skated over with Whitman, as with so many other historical figures labelled as homosexual, such as Wilde, is that many were also pederastic. As well as Peter Doyle, Whitman also had Bill Duckett and many teenage soldier lovers. However their sexually is shoehorned to fit into politically correct boxes. It would be better for historical writing if 'gay' is taken to mean 'sex with males' rather than 'sex with men'.

by Anonymousreply 46April 22, 2019 4:26 AM

R32 me too! Especially the milk-chocolate clusterfucks.

by Anonymousreply 47April 22, 2019 4:55 AM

And the creamy soft-centers!

by Anonymousreply 48April 22, 2019 6:07 AM

If they are old enough to fight in war, they are old enough to fuck.

by Anonymousreply 49April 22, 2019 7:21 AM

In 1861 it would not be seen as improper for an impoverished family to negotiate the marriage of an adolescent daughter to a man of property or to a widower with children to care for. An absent or deceased father might compel a boy of thirteen to become "head of the household."

by Anonymousreply 50April 22, 2019 2:30 PM

I wonder how many of these fools who want to scourge culture of all *triggering* people own a Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen -- hell, a Ford !

by Anonymousreply 51April 22, 2019 3:43 PM

Any “head of household” would need to get off to relieve the stress of his duties.

by Anonymousreply 52April 22, 2019 3:50 PM

Whitman was a great poet, period.

by Anonymousreply 53April 22, 2019 6:25 PM

I just heard that Walt Whitman and Abraham Lincoln had an unspoken, unfulfilled, non-relationship.

They saw and admired each other but didn't actually speak.

by Anonymousreply 54October 14, 2019 12:57 AM

How will we get to Philly from South Jersey?

by Anonymousreply 55October 14, 2019 1:01 AM

CANCEL EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE. Then everything and everyone can have a redemption and comeback tour!

by Anonymousreply 56October 14, 2019 1:09 AM

It is a stunning illustration of how unsophisticated people are that OP would pose the question "Should Walt Whitman be #cancelled" while attaching an entire article that looks at the question in a lot more nuanced a manner.

by Anonymousreply 57October 14, 2019 1:10 AM

If you don't want to read Whitman, don't. Everyone else can decide for themselves. It was a different time, he probably had little exposure to the people he didn't like and his racism was more than likely borne out of ignorance. Cancel culture is idiotic and shuts down thoughtful discussion.

by Anonymousreply 58October 14, 2019 1:31 AM

But what about "From Pent Up, Aching Rivers"???????????????

by Anonymousreply 59October 14, 2019 2:07 AM

I doubt anyone can stand up to the values of today's woke people. I'm sure they will find a reason to "cancel" Phillis Wheatley and Emily Dickinson.

by Anonymousreply 60October 14, 2019 3:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!