Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Great casting choices for people supposed to be related.

So often in TV and movies, people who are supposedly related look NOTHING alike, but sometimes they get it right.

Teri Garr looked like she could actually be Phoebe's mother on Friends.

Similarly, the actresses who played Joyce Summers on Buffy and Catelyn Stark on GoT looked like they could literally be Buffy's and Sansa's moms (respectively).

Oddly enough, except for Catelyn/Sansa, none of the other Starks look alike.

Others?

by Anonymousreply 233May 10, 2021 12:29 AM

Can we do imagined ones? A multigenerational Lifetime movie with Ali MacGraw as Katie Lee’s mother. And then Katie Lee as Kendall Jenner’s mother.

by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2019 3:37 PM

Ellen Burstyn and Cybill Shepherd as mother and daughter in THE LAST PICTURE SHOW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2019 3:38 PM

I've been binge-watching Mr. Robot, and I think Rami and the woman who plays his sister have similar enough bone structure that they could be brother/sister. I think the same of the person who plays Rami's character's father. (trying to not be a spoiler here).

Side note, when I first started watching Schitt's Creek, I didn't know Daniel was Eugene Levy's son, and thought wow, he really looks like he could be Eugene Levy's character's kid.

I might not be the best person to weigh in on this question, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3April 20, 2019 3:42 PM

Kind of a random one, but I thought Emjay Anthony looked like he could actually be Sofia Verrrrgarrra’s kid in “Chef.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 20, 2019 3:50 PM

OP, not true that only Sansa and Catelyn favor one another: Arya looks like her onscreen father. It’s due in great part to styling, but the resemblance is remarkable. And smart, I think, to make one girl look more like mom and the other like dad, which happens in real life but rarely onscreen. I also buy Bran as the offspring of the two parents featureswise; he has Catelyn’s broad cheeks. I’m not sure if Rob is as believable lookswise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 20, 2019 3:54 PM

Cersei and Jaime pass as siblings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 20, 2019 4:25 PM

Hollywood is shockingly bad at this. They cast like brown eyed LA latinx kids as the children of white couples. Or jewish kids as the children of wasp couples.

by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2019 4:49 PM

Julia Roberts and Kyra Sedgwick as sisters in Something to Talk About.

by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2019 4:56 PM

Kelsey Grammer and David Hyde-Pierce from Frasier look more like brothers than many actual sets of brothers.

by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2019 4:57 PM

Six Feet Under had the best sibling casting. Boardwalk Empire did a really good job of casting younger versions of it’s cast for flashbacks during the last season. I was especially impressed by young Steve Buscemi. It’s not like he has a lot of clones out there.

by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2019 4:59 PM

This hasn't been done yet, but I think that Timothee Chalamet and Finn Wolfhard should play brothers in a future film.

by Anonymousreply 11April 20, 2019 5:00 PM

SPOILER!!!

R3 Absolutely! I watched the show entirely through it's original run, and just binge-watched a second time with my roommate who hadn't seen it. First time around, I was totally shocked by the revelation about Darlene in episode 8 or 9? (trying not to give too much away). Watching it the second time, it totally makes sense. Everything she does.. She is totally acting like a bratty little sister. And the resemblance is remarkable. How could I not have figured it out the first time?

by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2019 5:02 PM

Evidently, Ellen DeGeneres and David Spade were cast as brother and sister in a TV pilot that never happened. That would've worked.

by Anonymousreply 13April 20, 2019 5:03 PM

R11, are they similarly donged?

by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2019 5:05 PM

Anybody remember My So-Called Life? Angela's friend/next-door-neighbor Sharon. I kept thinking she looked like a young Mary Kay Place. Then they cast Mary Kay as her mom!

by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2019 5:06 PM

Tim Allen and Jonathan Taylor Thomas

by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2019 5:20 PM

Robert Wagner as Michael Weatherly’s character’s father on NCIS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2019 5:39 PM

Robert Deniro and Dan Hedaya in Marvin's Room. I always thought they had similar mannerisms.

by Anonymousreply 18April 20, 2019 6:37 PM

^^as brothers.

by Anonymousreply 19April 20, 2019 6:37 PM

I always thought that the Owenses on "Mr. Belvedere" looked like they could be related to each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 20, 2019 7:14 PM

River Phoenix as Harrison Ford's son in The Mosquito Cost, and later as young Indy in The Last Crusade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 20, 2019 7:18 PM

The Wonder Years had good family casting. The older brother and dad looked the alike as did the sister and mother.

by Anonymousreply 22April 20, 2019 9:05 PM

I agree, R9. Also, the actor who played their father was a good choice: He had that same pugnacious jaw.

Casting Lillo Brancato as De Niro's kid in A Bronx Tale was inspired casting. Too bad Brancato's life went so wrong later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 21, 2019 2:41 AM

I want to see a movie or series in which Jake Gyllenhaal, Julian Morris, and Oliver Jackson-Cohen play brothers.

by Anonymousreply 24April 21, 2019 2:51 AM

Sometimes the casting is TOO good so I have a hard time telling who is who because they look so much alike. This was a problem for me in The Exorcist TV show. I couldn't believe they weren't sisters in real life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 21, 2019 2:58 AM

Speaking of The Exorcist, Ellen Burstyn and Louise Fletcher should play sisters in something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 21, 2019 3:01 AM

Mothers who suck cock in Hell...on the next Oprah!

by Anonymousreply 27April 21, 2019 3:05 AM

Ted Knight and Jack Cassidy as brothers on the MTM Show.

by Anonymousreply 28April 21, 2019 3:17 AM

Maia Mitchell and Bailee Madison were believable as half sisters on The Fosters.

by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2019 3:28 AM

It's too bad Dianne Wiest never played Renee Zellwegger's mother years ago in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 30April 21, 2019 3:33 AM

Lee Lee Sobieski should have played Helen Hunt's sister in anything. The resemblance was what killed her career, I think.

by Anonymousreply 31April 21, 2019 3:53 AM

Jennie Garth and Ann Gillespie as mother and daughter on Beverly Hills 90210.

by Anonymousreply 32April 21, 2019 3:55 AM

Mayim Bialik and Michael Stoyanov on Blossom

by Anonymousreply 33April 21, 2019 4:01 AM

Lauren Ambrose and Frances Conroy on Six Feet Under.

by Anonymousreply 34April 21, 2019 4:11 AM

Kim Gordon's daughter Coco will eventually play Chloe Sevigny's daughter or sister in something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 21, 2019 4:12 AM

The lady they cast to play older Geena Davis in a League of their own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 21, 2019 4:15 AM

The first time I saw the Spice Girls, I thought Baby Spice was Suzanne Somers’ daughter.

by Anonymousreply 37April 21, 2019 4:16 AM

I know this is a thread for great casting choices. Here's some bad casting choices for people supposed to be related.

-The Barlett daughters on The West Wing

- Kyle Chandler and Linda Cardellini didn't look like they could be related to rest of the family on Bloodline.

-Reese Witherspoon and Christina Applegate were awful choices to play Rachel's sisters on Friends

by Anonymousreply 38April 21, 2019 4:21 AM

Genie Francis and Julie Berman played mother and daughter on General Hospital

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 21, 2019 4:25 AM

R38, not even close. Sofia Coppola playing Kathleen Turner's sister in Peggy Sue. Her parents in the movie were Don Murray and Barbara Harris, which made it seem like it was some kind of an adoption.

by Anonymousreply 40April 21, 2019 4:25 AM

Speaking of soap operas, does anyone remember when they cast Josh Duhamel and Rebecca Budig as lovers on AMC? It was so bizarre because they resembled siblings. They should have been cast as fraternal twins.

by Anonymousreply 41April 21, 2019 4:28 AM

We won't get bogged down in soaps but Kate Mulgrew really did seem like she was Helen Gallagher's daughter in Ryan's Hope.

by Anonymousreply 42April 21, 2019 4:31 AM

Sophia Lillis as the young Camille/Amy Adams in [italic]Sharp Objects[/italic]

Martin Landau and Jerry Orbach in [italic]Crimes and Misdemeanors[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 21, 2019 4:35 AM

Fiona and Carl look alike, Debbie believable too. Debbie could also be Darlene’s daughter given that she had a more pleasing face like her father, David.

by Anonymousreply 44April 21, 2019 4:35 AM

Darlene is fucking ugly and she could easily be Roseanne’s daughter, DJ’s brother, and even Becky who is just blonde and takes more after her father.

by Anonymousreply 45April 21, 2019 4:36 AM

Lindsay Lohan and Dennis Quaid in The Parent Trap

Lauren Ambrose and Michael C. Hall in Six Feet Under

Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan in Freaky Friday

Frances Fisher and Kate Winslet in Titanic

by Anonymousreply 46April 21, 2019 4:37 AM

R45 I agree.

by Anonymousreply 47April 21, 2019 4:38 AM

Omg the only ones fr SFU who slightly favor each other are Nate and David.

by Anonymousreply 48April 21, 2019 4:38 AM

Frances Fisher could be the uglier mother of Kate Winslet. That’s actually not a bad choice though one was drop dead gorgeous and the other with a sharp redneck look to her.

by Anonymousreply 49April 21, 2019 4:40 AM

Everybody loves Raymond, dark haired dark eyed parents have blonde blue eyed children.

by Anonymousreply 50April 21, 2019 4:44 AM

That creepy little girl from IT was born to play the younger Amy and that’s it. She can go away now.

by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2019 4:44 AM

R38 I agree about Reese Witherspoon, but have always thought Aniston and Applegate resembled each other. So I think that was actually a good call.

by Anonymousreply 52April 21, 2019 4:44 AM

R50 it was a bit odd. The show actually referenced it once. The parents were having some argument over whether the wife was sufficiently devoted to Romano's character or something. The wife said "Ray, I gave you two children " and he retorted "Yeah, two blonde children ".

by Anonymousreply 53April 21, 2019 4:50 AM

R50 One of the kids, the boy who played the son, killed himself at about 20. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 54April 21, 2019 4:51 AM

R52 they all were supposed to have had a lot of plastic surgery so it made sense maybe they all had their fathers ugly jewish nose.

by Anonymousreply 55April 21, 2019 5:05 AM

James Gandolfini and Aida Turturro as Soprano siblings.

by Anonymousreply 56April 21, 2019 5:34 AM

Josh's son on Transparent. There isn't even a slight resemblance, not in looks or demeanor.

by Anonymousreply 57April 21, 2019 5:42 AM

I meant to use that as an example of bad casting.

by Anonymousreply 58April 21, 2019 5:43 AM

I actually thought Jodie Foster and Kristen Stewart were very well cast as mother and daughter in Panic room .

by Anonymousreply 59April 21, 2019 5:44 AM

Mother and daughter dykes

by Anonymousreply 60April 21, 2019 7:10 AM

A.J. definitely looked like Tony Soprano’s son.

by Anonymousreply 61April 21, 2019 7:11 AM

DJ looked like Roseanne. Both Beckys were not believable as being the daughter of Roseanne & Dan. In real life, Roseanne’s and Dan’s children would all be overweight.

by Anonymousreply 62April 21, 2019 7:23 AM

Sissy Spacek was considered for the role of Shirley MacLaine’s daughter in “Terms of Endearment.” They look plausibly related, vs. Debra Winger and Shirley MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 63April 21, 2019 7:26 AM

In Downton Abbey, Elizabeth McGovern (Cora) and Michelle Dockery (Mary) look like mother and daughter.

by Anonymousreply 64April 21, 2019 7:28 AM

[QUOTE] . In real life, Roseanne’s and Dan’s children would all be overweight.

Not necessarily. My dad was obese and my mom very "matronly" (not obese but fluctuated between size 12-14) and 3 of their 4 children grew up to be slim even as we enter middle age.

Plenty of kids see their parents' fatness as a reason to put down the fork and work out. Especially millenial females.

by Anonymousreply 65April 21, 2019 7:30 AM

R63 Spacek wasn't considered. She was offered the role outright but turned it down because she had just given birth and wanted to spend time with her newborn child. She could have done that on the set! Though Winger turned out to be a great choice.

by Anonymousreply 66April 21, 2019 7:30 AM

Winger would have been a better match with Anne Bancroft.

by Anonymousreply 67April 21, 2019 7:40 AM

Leah Michele(sp?) as the daughter of Idina Menzel(sp?) on Glee. Brilliant casting.

by Anonymousreply 68April 21, 2019 7:52 AM

I just noticed the other day that Anne Bancroft and Katharine Ross did look like a plausible mother and daughter in The Graduate.

by Anonymousreply 69April 21, 2019 8:04 AM

Penelope Cruz & whoever it was that played her sister in Everybody Knows were completely believable as sisters (shame the film was a pice of shit).

by Anonymousreply 70April 21, 2019 8:07 AM

From Vikings, Ragnar Lothbrok's first family really did look like a real family. The real wow came with the casting of young Bjorn and grownup Bjorn. They really look like the same guy at different stages of life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 21, 2019 10:04 AM

Chloe Moretz and Jennifer Lawrence as white trash sisters in The Poker House.

by Anonymousreply 72April 21, 2019 12:49 PM

[quote]Josh's son on Transparent. There isn't even a slight resemblance, not in looks or demeanor.

I thought the same thing when he appeared in season 1. In season 2, I thought there was some going to some kind of reveal that Rita fucked other guys and that Josh wasn't the father.

by Anonymousreply 73April 21, 2019 2:13 PM

The following casting choices would work well in the future

-Rachel McAdams and Elizabeth as sisters

-Jennifer Lawrence and Brie Larson as sisters

-Kate McKinnon as the mother to trans child Shiloh Jolie Pitt aka John

-Heidi Gardner and Kristen Schaal as sisters

-Kyle Chander and James Wolk as father and son

-Elisabeth Moss and Milly Shapiro as mother and daughter

-Linda Cardellini and Tina Fey as sisters

by Anonymousreply 74April 21, 2019 2:48 PM

^ I meant to type Rachel McAdams and Elizabeth Banks as sisters

by Anonymousreply 75April 21, 2019 2:50 PM

The Heidi Gardner thing is so creepy. I don't watch SNL regularly but had it on one evening and thought to myself "why is an already accomplished comedian like Schaal bothering with SNL?"

I thought it was literally her.

by Anonymousreply 76April 21, 2019 2:56 PM

R17 Weatherly played Wagner in a TV movie as well.

by Anonymousreply 77April 21, 2019 3:00 PM

Albert Finney and Ewan McGregor as father and son in Big Fish

by Anonymousreply 78April 21, 2019 3:03 PM

Zach Braff and Dax Shepard would be believable as brothers in a movie or show.

by Anonymousreply 79April 21, 2019 3:04 PM

An awful example of sibling casting was Playing by Heart. Madeline Stowe, Angelina Jolie, and Gillian Anderson weren't believable as trio of sisters.

by Anonymousreply 80April 21, 2019 3:07 PM

They got it right the second time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 21, 2019 3:12 PM

The original Charmed ones looked like real sisters.

by Anonymousreply 82April 21, 2019 3:15 PM

The actress who played Audrey Meadows mother on The Honeymooners.

by Anonymousreply 83April 21, 2019 3:32 PM

Diverse casting usually means the mom was previously married or had an affair with a person of color, Great news! I’m your long lost sister! Bad news, mom is a whore.

by Anonymousreply 84April 21, 2019 3:36 PM

In what world do Shannen Doherty and Alyssa Milano look like sisters r82...?

by Anonymousreply 85April 21, 2019 3:45 PM

The actress playing the younger Sabrina on Sabrina the Teenaged Witch has an eerie resemblance to Kiernan Shipka.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 21, 2019 3:48 PM

R85 Sisters aren’t identical twins dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 87April 21, 2019 3:49 PM

Matthew Rhys and the kid who plays his long lost son, Mischa, in The Americans.

by Anonymousreply 88April 21, 2019 3:55 PM

Agree about Michael Weatherly and Robert Wagner

by Anonymousreply 89April 21, 2019 4:02 PM

No one has mentioned Frasier?

The original show was just about Frasier and his dad. Then someone brought in a photo of David Hyde Pierce and everyone agreed he looked like a younger Grammer -- and they redid the show to add Niles, which was one of the best decisions ever made on tv.

Another great pairing -- Rob Lowe and Robert Wagner as old and young versions of the same person.

by Anonymousreply 90April 21, 2019 4:09 PM

Reply R9 did, R90. Thanks for the background.

by Anonymousreply 91April 21, 2019 4:20 PM

Nope, not buying it r87. Though maybe if you keep throwing lazy insults at people who disagree with you you'll prove your point!

by Anonymousreply 92April 21, 2019 4:44 PM

Jessica Lange, Michelle Pfeiffer, Jennifer Jason Leigh in "A Thousand Acres."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 21, 2019 4:44 PM

R93 I agree on those three as sisters. But, I thought Elisabeth Moss and Michelle Williams were totally miscast as Pfeiffer's daughters in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 94April 21, 2019 4:49 PM

Amy Schumer and Brie Larson were very believable as sisters in Trainwreck

by Anonymousreply 95April 21, 2019 4:52 PM

[quote]Or jewish kids as the children of wasp couples.

Or the other way around. Greg Kinnear-Alan Arkin come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 96April 21, 2019 4:53 PM

Marion Cotillard and Angela Sarafyan in The Immigrant.

by Anonymousreply 97April 21, 2019 4:57 PM

I have always said that I would love to see a film or limited thriller tv show featuring Elizabeth Moss and Jodie Foster as daughter and mother. To me they both have similar facial features and both are just phenomenal actresses. Given the right script I cant imagine that these two wouldn’t make bank together.

by Anonymousreply 98April 21, 2019 4:57 PM

On the other hand, there are casting choices which are so ridiculous and out there that they are actually a stroke of genius. A good example is casting Robert Wagner and Jill St. John as Mickey's (Danny Woodburn) parents on an episode of "Seinfeld".

by Anonymousreply 99April 21, 2019 5:31 PM

Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne as mother and son in Savage Grace

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 21, 2019 5:46 PM

Supernatural did a good job. Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki don't look alike but they both look like they could be related to their TV parents, especially Jensen. He resembles both Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Samantha Smith. Jared has similar dimples and coloring to JDM.

by Anonymousreply 101April 21, 2019 6:31 PM

It should have been Nancy Travis, Marisa Tomei, and Brittany Murphy as sisters. Sondra Locke as the mother to Sarah Polley and Uma Thurman.

by Anonymousreply 102April 21, 2019 7:00 PM

Samantha Mathis and Brie Larson have a slight, intangible but similar quality that would make them good sisters. Brie Larson not much like Amy Schumer, yuck. Amy Schumer would definitely be believable as the lush, pig, harridan old sister of J. Law, however.

by Anonymousreply 103April 21, 2019 7:11 PM

Sisters ScarJo and Amber Heard. In fact, Amber Heard is the basement ScarJo, isn’t she?

by Anonymousreply 104April 21, 2019 7:12 PM

Julia Roberts, Julianne Nicholson, Juliette Lewis, Margo Martindale, and Meryl Streep

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 21, 2019 7:18 PM

[quote]Amy Schumer would definitely be believable as the lush, pig, harridan old sister of J. Law, however.

That movie will probably be made in a couple of years. J.Law's next two movies will probably be Oscar bait fail movies. One is the Elizabeth Holmes movie directed by Adam and McKay and the other movie JLaw plays a war veteran with a brain injury. After those two movies flop, she'll start doing slapstick comedies with Amy.

by Anonymousreply 106April 21, 2019 7:20 PM

Julianne Moore and Emma Stone were sort of believable as mother/daughter in that movie with Steve Carrell and Ryan Gosling.

by Anonymousreply 107April 21, 2019 7:22 PM

Maura Tierney and Brie Larson could play mother and daughter.

by Anonymousreply 108April 21, 2019 7:23 PM

Amy Adams and Jenna Fischer could be sisters--that was even the point on Amy's early appearance on the office. She was a hotter version of Pam, and that's why Jim made a beeline for her.

Throw in Isla Fisher and you have uncanny triplets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109April 21, 2019 7:28 PM

Minka Kelly and Leighton Meester could play big sister/little sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110April 21, 2019 7:30 PM

Alison Brie made a believable sister for Emily Blunt in the 5 Year Engagement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111April 21, 2019 7:31 PM

Opinion Poll: Were the Brady Bunch kids believable casting choices? I thought the girls worked as sisters but the boys less so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 21, 2019 7:32 PM

Saffy and Edina

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113April 21, 2019 7:33 PM

Kathleen Turner as Matthew Perry's father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114April 21, 2019 7:35 PM

Elizabeth Montgomery and Pandora Spocks on Bewitched

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115April 21, 2019 7:38 PM

Steven Weber And William Fichtner as brothers on the TV series Mom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116April 21, 2019 7:39 PM

I had no idea that Jessica Lange and Jennifer Jason Leigh played sisters in something. I always thought that should happen. Is the movie any good?

by Anonymousreply 117April 21, 2019 7:46 PM

R117 It's based on a frau novel. It's ok if you're into dysfunctional family movies.

by Anonymousreply 118April 21, 2019 7:53 PM

Lol yeah Saffy and Eddy are perfect mother and daughter

by Anonymousreply 119April 21, 2019 7:55 PM

J.Law and Julia Stiles, very good.

by Anonymousreply 120April 21, 2019 7:57 PM

Julia Styles, K. Dunst, and LeeLee Sobieski

by Anonymousreply 121April 21, 2019 7:59 PM

The world is still waiting for somebody, somewhere, to cast Jason Bateman and Nathan Fillion as brothers.

by Anonymousreply 122April 21, 2019 8:01 PM

Timothee and Steve Carell daddy, definitely..

by Anonymousreply 123April 21, 2019 8:03 PM

Chloe sevigny and corky from life goes on would be great

by Anonymousreply 124April 21, 2019 8:04 PM

Whoever did the casting for Saffy should have gotten a raise. They look fucking exactly alike and on the show act exactly the same while inhabiting their strident polar opposites.

by Anonymousreply 125April 21, 2019 8:12 PM

I would like to see Jeremy Irons and Gabriel Byrne as brothers

by Anonymousreply 126April 21, 2019 8:15 PM

r86, I've worked with McKenna Grace (she was brown haired), and I saw a trailer for a movie on Netflix called, "The Silence" starring a brown haired Kiernan, which I could have sworn was McKenna.

They did a too good of a job casting the siblings/younger versions on "The Haunting of Hill House", because I had a damn time trying to figure out whom everyone was in the first few episodes.

Someone should cast these two as siblings, David Thewlis and Kelly MacDonald:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127April 21, 2019 8:46 PM

r127, your link is taking up almost my entire screen! Is this happening for anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 128April 21, 2019 8:48 PM

yes.

by Anonymousreply 129April 21, 2019 8:52 PM

Sorry guys, I used Tinypic, I don't know what happeneed.

by Anonymousreply 130April 21, 2019 8:53 PM

Lol what the fuck? You're taking over the entire thread with your pic.

by Anonymousreply 131April 21, 2019 9:00 PM

R130 is a thread saboteur. Saboteur! Saboteur! J'accuse!

by Anonymousreply 132April 21, 2019 9:11 PM

This is the weirdest DL glitch I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 133April 21, 2019 9:14 PM

Perhaps if we add enough comments we'll be able to scroll past the giant pictures?

by Anonymousreply 134April 21, 2019 9:15 PM

133 replies and no one has mentioned this piece of great casting

Phil Dunphy and his father on modern family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135April 21, 2019 9:15 PM

Stacy Martin as the younger Charlotte Gainsbourg, sure... Good find because they’re both French with that beautifully accented British English.

by Anonymousreply 136April 21, 2019 9:15 PM

I loved Melancholia but Charlotte Gainsbourg and Kirsten Dunst certainly did not seem like siblings. However, that might have been on purpose, to fit the off kilter and strange vibe of the movie. The film still worked very well though, perhaps because of the strange casting.

by Anonymousreply 137April 21, 2019 9:20 PM

Sandy and Nicole Kidman lol

by Anonymousreply 138April 21, 2019 9:33 PM

I wish Vanessa and Cindy Williams would do something together.

by Anonymousreply 139April 21, 2019 9:37 PM

I said Ewan McGregor and Albert Finney above but they were actually playing the same character at different ages, not father and son lol

by Anonymousreply 140April 21, 2019 9:43 PM

I think Idina Menzel and Jeff goldblum were well cast as Lea Michele's parents. Facially they're similar although Jeff is like 6'4" and lea is like 4ft.

by Anonymousreply 141April 21, 2019 10:15 PM

Sam and Tabitha on Bewitched

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142April 21, 2019 10:16 PM

On the opposite end... Why on earth greg kinnear and matt Damon were cast as siamese twins astounds me to this day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143April 21, 2019 10:18 PM

Shelly Fabares and Paul Peterson looked like they could have been Donna Reed and Carl Betts' children on the Donna Reed Show.

by Anonymousreply 144April 21, 2019 11:41 PM

R136 I also recall being a bit hesitant with that casting, Stacy is conventionally beautiful and kitten-like whereas Gainsbourg has jew face for days HOWEVER I thought that it helped drive the point that life for the character was idyllic during her youth, looking beautiful and sexy and when life finally catches up with her she loses her beauty, looking tired and haggard. I also found it kind of funny that they're both half french, half british.

I think Dunst and Gainsbourg where a inspired, opposite personalities and totally different faces.

by Anonymousreply 145April 22, 2019 12:33 AM

R145 Hi Stacy. Yes, something totally worked about it. Nymphomaniac~

by Anonymousreply 146April 22, 2019 12:49 AM

Kathy Griffin & Andy Dick

by Anonymousreply 147April 22, 2019 1:27 AM

Susie Essman as Ilana Glazer's mom on "Broad City."

Remember the pink-eye?

Perfect.

by Anonymousreply 148April 22, 2019 2:43 AM

The two younger children on [italic]Family Ties[/italic] resembled their mother while the two older children more closely resembled their father.

Contrast this with [italic]The Partridge Family[/italic] where no one looked like anyone else except Keith and Laurie.

by Anonymousreply 149April 22, 2019 4:39 AM

[quote]In what world do Shannen Doherty and Alyssa Milano look like sisters [R82]...?

The same world where Shannen looked like Chad Allen’s sister on [italic]Our House[/italic]: on television only.

by Anonymousreply 150April 22, 2019 4:43 AM

Are you shitting me with R110? Those two look EXACTLY alike.

by Anonymousreply 151April 22, 2019 5:49 AM

Teri Garr as Lisa Kudrow’s birth mother on Friends

by Anonymousreply 152April 22, 2019 2:32 PM

I thought Michelle Pfeiffer and Dianna Agron were believable as mother and daughter in The Family.

by Anonymousreply 153April 22, 2019 7:26 PM

Buffy and Jody

by Anonymousreply 154April 22, 2019 10:56 PM

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off - Jennifer Grey looked like she could actually be related to the dad.

by Anonymousreply 155April 22, 2019 11:06 PM

R28 According to Shirley Jones' autobiography, MTM producers offered the role of Ted Baxter to Jack Cassidy first, but he turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 156April 22, 2019 11:56 PM

This is an older one but....Katharine Hepburn and Elizabeth Allan in A Woman Rebels. When they're onscreen together they look like twins

by Anonymousreply 157April 23, 2019 11:20 PM

[quote]Julia Roberts and Kyra Sedgwick as sisters in Something to Talk About.

That was one of the better sibling castings.

by Anonymousreply 158April 24, 2019 10:27 PM

Jennifer Lawrence and Emily Browning should play sisters in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 159April 29, 2019 2:47 AM

Lt. Joe Kenda and the actor who portrays his younger self. He wishes he ever looked that good!

by Anonymousreply 160April 29, 2019 2:50 AM

Ned and his daughter Arya on GOT. They do look related!

by Anonymousreply 161April 29, 2019 2:52 AM

Julianne Nicholson and Molly Parker

by Anonymousreply 162April 29, 2019 3:01 AM

Marie Masters (Susan) and Melanie Smith (Emily) on As the World Turns.

by Anonymousreply 163April 29, 2019 3:09 AM

Vicki Lawrence became a cast regular on the Carol Burnett show in part because of her resemblance to Carol. Although they played a number of relation-variations on the show, Vicki's 'mama' to Carol's role as daughter 'Eunice' is certainly the best known.

And, surprisingly, no one has mentioned the flawless sibling casting of Schwarzenegger and DeVito in 'Twins'. (Just kidding!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164April 29, 2019 3:36 AM

Christian Slater could have easily played Jack Nicholson's son.

Also, the actor Walton Goggins could have played Nicholson's brother.

by Anonymousreply 165April 29, 2019 3:47 AM

Matt Damon and Jesse Plemons should be cast as father and son.

by Anonymousreply 166April 29, 2019 4:16 AM

R165 jesse as the father?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167April 29, 2019 4:18 AM

I thought Jesse Plemons was well cast as Phillip Seymour Hoffman's son in The Master.

by Anonymousreply 168April 29, 2019 4:19 AM

The young cast of "Riverdale" really resemble the adult actors playing their parents. Somebody was on the ball with casting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169April 29, 2019 4:29 AM

Grace Zabriskie, Sheryl Lee, and Ray Wise looked like a real family in Twin Peaks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170April 29, 2019 4:33 AM

Lesley Manville & Timothy Spall as the parents of James Corden & Alison Garland in Mike Leigh's All or Nothing. Totally believable English housing commission family. I remember my father commenting on the brilliant casting that they really looked like a real family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171April 29, 2019 6:48 AM

Ben Schwartz and Jenny Slate on Parks and Recreation.

by Anonymousreply 172April 29, 2019 7:40 AM

R7 lives in a parallel universe where whites can't have brown eyes and Jews can't look like WASPS. Have you ever heard of Ashkenazi Jews or White Latinos? There are more Jews playing WASPS in Hollywood than any other groups I can assure you that.

That said, Claire Danes (non Jew) and Gwyneth Paltrow (Jew) should play sisters someday. Danes actually played Meryl Streep's daughter in The Hours and they look totally related.

by Anonymousreply 173April 29, 2019 7:56 AM

Speaking of Roseanne, Emma Kenney and annoying Sarah Gilbert as mother/daughter on Roseanne/The Conners are the best casting choice I've seen in recent TV. All it took was Emma dying her red hair black to become a spitting image of Gilbert. Uncanny.

by Anonymousreply 174April 29, 2019 8:08 AM

Rachel Weisz and Mila Kunis played sisters in Return to Oz or whatever it was called. They have similar colouring and have that eastern European Jewish look (dark hair, hazel eyes)

by Anonymousreply 175April 29, 2019 8:09 AM

the sugarbaker gals

by Anonymousreply 176April 29, 2019 10:09 AM

Tim Daly and Natalia Dyer were believable as father and daughter in the movie After Darkness.

by Anonymousreply 177May 14, 2019 9:58 PM

Casting Mayim Bialik as a young Bette Midler in Beaches was an astonishing stroke of genius.

by Anonymousreply 178May 14, 2019 10:12 PM

The elderly Jon Voight and Nick Nolte could be brothers.

by Anonymousreply 179May 14, 2019 10:42 PM

Before he died, I always wanted to see Tony Curtis play Robert Downey Jr.'s father.

by Anonymousreply 180May 15, 2019 4:20 AM

Dianne Weist and Renee Zellweger would have been believable as a mother and daughter in a movie or TV show.

by Anonymousreply 181June 18, 2019 2:23 PM

Jake Gyllenhaal

Julian Morris

Oliver Jackson-Cohen

by Anonymousreply 182June 18, 2019 2:31 PM

[quote]Rachel Weisz and Mila Kunis played sisters in Return to Oz or whatever it was called. They have similar colouring and have that eastern European Jewish look (dark hair, hazel eyes)

Sarah Hyland looks more like Mila Kunis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183June 18, 2019 2:33 PM

Brian Dennehy playing Leonardo DiCaprio's father in Romeo + Juliet. Also, DiCaprio and Johnny Depp playing brothers in Gilbert Grape. Except for the coloring, they kind of look alike imo with those pronounced cheekbones and similarly shaped lips. Ironically, the mouthguard they had DiCaprio wear to make him 'less pretty' (why shouldn't mentally challenged boy be pretty?) kind of took away from the resemblance.

In the future they should cast Finn Wolfhard as Natalie Portman's son. That kid looks almost like a clone of a teenaged Portman.

by Anonymousreply 184June 18, 2019 4:23 PM

This is a bit off-topic, but I always thought that John Malkovich and Gabriel Byrne should have switched roles in The Man in the Iron Mask. SPOILER: Byrne's character turns out to be the secret father of king Louis (played by Leonardo DiCaprio), but DiCaprio has a lot more resemblance to Malkovich than Byrne. But who knows, maybe there's something they didn't tell us and the Queen Mother was a slut of epic proportions who fucked not one, but two of the musketeers?

by Anonymousreply 185June 18, 2019 4:38 PM

Jane Curtin was believable as Kate McKinnon's mother in The Spy Who Dumped Me.

by Anonymousreply 186July 12, 2019 4:27 PM

Liz Hurley and the actress who played her daughter on “The Royals.” Come to think of it, Dame Joan Collins played Hurley’s mother and that was good too.

Funny how it now feels insufficient to say just “Joan Collins.” She is so affirmatively Dame Joan.

by Anonymousreply 187July 12, 2019 5:29 PM

I always thought Nanette Fabray was a great choice to play Mary Tyler Moore's mom on The MTM Show, since Mary not only looked like Nanette but (as she admitted) stole her comic way of talking while crying.

by Anonymousreply 188July 12, 2019 5:36 PM

Tim Allen and Sam Huntington in Jungle 2 Jungle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189July 12, 2019 5:39 PM

Pacino and Talia Shire as brother and sister in GODFATHER I and II.

by Anonymousreply 190July 12, 2019 9:14 PM

I thought Didi Conn was a good casting choice as Carrie Brownstein's mother on Transparent.

by Anonymousreply 191September 2, 2019 8:37 PM

The daughter was excellent casting, but there was not a single second of Hereditary where I thought Alex Wolff was the child of Colette and Byrne.

by Anonymousreply 192September 2, 2019 11:05 PM

Yeah...no.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193September 2, 2019 11:07 PM

Ronen Rubinstein was a great choice to play Rob Lowe's son on 911: Lone Star.

by Anonymousreply 194February 4, 2020 1:02 PM

Ronen Rubinstein was a great choice to play Rob Lowe's son on 911: Lone Star.

by Anonymousreply 195February 4, 2020 1:02 PM

This is pretty obscure, but Bonnie Bedelia and Lucy Deakins as mother and daughter in The Boy Who Could Fly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196February 4, 2020 3:06 PM

Arnold Schwarzenegger & Danny DeVito in Twins

by Anonymousreply 197February 4, 2020 3:33 PM

r196, I love that movie.

by Anonymousreply 198February 4, 2020 3:34 PM

The actress playing the older daughter on Little Fires Everywhere is believable as Reese Witherspoon's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 199March 25, 2020 4:39 AM

Didn't Spade once do an SNL "Weekend Update" segment, in which he said people often confused him with Lisa Kudrow?

Also, Leslie Ann Warren and DL Fave Susie Sarandon as sisters.

Also also, some movie mogul somewhere needs to cast Jakey and country music singer Thomas Rhett as bros. Talk about spittin' image!

by Anonymousreply 200March 25, 2020 5:06 AM

The casting on This Is Us is uncanny; especially all the younger kids - I believe them growing up in to Sterling, Justin and Chrissy.

by Anonymousreply 201March 25, 2020 6:23 AM

[quote]Also also, some movie mogul somewhere needs to cast Jakey and country music singer Thomas Rhett as bros. Talk about spittin' image!

Jakey who? I'll give you Penn Badgley's brother, but Thomas Rhett resembles no Jakey with whom I'm familiar. If you mean Gyllenhaal, both Oliver Jackson Cohen and Julian Morris look more as if they could be related.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202March 25, 2020 7:01 AM

Not the best photo, but the cast of Young Sheldon look related to each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203March 25, 2020 7:09 AM

Pamela Adlon and Hailee Steinfeld as mother and daughter in Bumblebee.

by Anonymousreply 204May 4, 2020 4:06 AM

In a yet to be made R rated pic about fraternal incest, Mark Ruffalo's younger brother will be played by Andrew Scott.

by Anonymousreply 205May 4, 2020 4:32 AM

Charlotte Rampling as Judy Davis's mother in The Eye of the Storm.

by Anonymousreply 206May 4, 2020 4:57 AM

I thought Kate Winslet and Jean Smart were great choices daughter and mother in Mare of Easttown.

by Anonymousreply 207April 20, 2021 12:02 AM

Once Upon a Time, which I admit I watched for a few years, did do a good job of casting the younger version of their cast in flashbacks, especially Bailee Madison as a young Snow White. Although I think part of it with her, is she was actually a decent child actress and also nailed some of Goodwin's mannerisms .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208April 20, 2021 12:13 AM

[quote]Not the best photo, but the cast of Young Sheldon look related to each other.

The woman they got to play Sheldon's mother looks just like a younger version of the actress they got for his mother when he was older.

by Anonymousreply 209April 20, 2021 12:15 AM

David Wenham and Sean Bean in LOTR. They look like the could be brothers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210April 20, 2021 12:17 AM

Joaquin Phoenix & Mel Gibson in SIGNS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211April 20, 2021 12:35 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212April 20, 2021 12:35 AM

Fiona and Carl Gallagher in U.S. Shameless. Uncanny! The other siblings don't look anything alike.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213April 20, 2021 12:41 AM

Nancy Walker & Rhoda & Brenda

by Anonymousreply 214April 20, 2021 12:42 AM

Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz, jr. as Lucy’s kids on “ Here’s Lucy.”

by Anonymousreply 215April 20, 2021 12:50 AM

[quote]The woman they got to play Sheldon's mother looks just like a younger version of the actress they got for his mother when he was older.

That's Laurie Metcalfe's daughter.

I don't see it but Kevin McKidd and Reed Diamond played siblings in a series and McKidd said that Diamond looks more like his brother than his actual brother does.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216April 20, 2021 12:51 AM

Matthew Rhys and Irish actor Mark McKenna ("Wayne" series on Amazon Prime) could play father and son.

Michael Weatherly also looks like George Peppard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217April 20, 2021 12:52 AM

Sting and Jude Law, not only do they resemble each other, they have similar sounding voices. One night I was in another room, I had the TV on in the living room. I thought Sting was being interviewed on some late night TV show, I walked in to find out it was Jude Law.

by Anonymousreply 218April 20, 2021 1:10 AM

[quote]The woman they got to play Sheldon's mother looks just like a younger version of the actress they got for his mother when he was older.

[quote]That's Laurie Metcalfe's daughter.

Really?

by Anonymousreply 219April 20, 2021 1:12 AM

Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix as brother in Signs. Even more so in hindsight.

by Anonymousreply 220April 20, 2021 1:14 AM

This is a great topic, especially as this is such a pet peeve of mine, casting performers who are supposed to be related, yet most of them never seem to look alike, there's usually not even one similar feature.

There is no reason for this, especially as there are so many performers who do actually resemble each other.

I guess it's mostly about box office? The casting people and the directors would rather hire famous A-List performers, rather than hire actors and actresses who actually resemble reach other.

by Anonymousreply 221April 20, 2021 1:16 AM

Zoe Perry is the daughter of Laurie Metcalf and Jeff Perry (Scandal).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222April 20, 2021 1:24 AM

Cate Blanchett and Tye Sheridan could play mother and son, with Tom Hardy perhaps as her brother and his uncle.

by Anonymousreply 223April 20, 2021 1:25 AM

Teri Garr and her son (Richard Dreyfuss' family) in Close Encounters of the Third Kind believably resembled each other.

by Anonymousreply 224April 20, 2021 2:22 AM

Whereas the two youngest kids in ET looked nothing like each other, big brother or Mom. But I give Spielberg a pass because they gave fantastic performances.

by Anonymousreply 225April 23, 2021 6:27 AM

Joel Edgerton and Barry Keoghan as young Da and son! They even took this happy pic together

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226April 23, 2021 6:52 AM

It’s been said already, but Fiona and Carl is really amazing casting. It’s hard to believe they aren’t actually related.

by Anonymousreply 227April 23, 2021 1:17 PM

River Phoenix & Jadrien Steele in THE MOSQUITO COAST looked more like real-life brothers than River & Joaquin Phoenix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228May 4, 2021 3:54 PM

from my childhood -- great casting, not necessarily due to looks, but because how Diahann played her character did a lot to explain why Whitely was the way she was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229May 5, 2021 1:25 PM

Lea Michelle and Idina Menzel as mother and daughter on Glee

by Anonymousreply 230May 5, 2021 2:04 PM

I think Ed O'Neill and Christina Applegate were well cast as father and daughter on Married... with Children. Similar mannerisms and big blue eyes.

by Anonymousreply 231May 5, 2021 2:34 PM

Jennifer Beals and Pam Grier as half siblings in the L word. Lindsay Lohan and Lindsay Lohan in the parent trap.

by Anonymousreply 232May 5, 2021 2:56 PM

Carol Kane and Clea Lewis as mother and daughter on an episode of Ellen DeGeneres' '90s sitcom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233May 10, 2021 12:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!