Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

College theatrical productions should always feature male nudity

Can I get an Amen up in here?

Tell us about your experience watching or acting in college productions of Equus, Take Me Out, Love! Valour! Compassion! etc.

by Anonymousreply 38April 24, 2019 9:22 PM

I tried out for Equus but didn’t get the part. I was prepared to show dong for art.

by Anonymousreply 1April 19, 2019 12:54 AM

Oh Calcutta!

by Anonymousreply 2April 19, 2019 1:02 AM

In college, I was cast in the title role of Equus. I was specifically told to keep my clothes on.

by Anonymousreply 3April 19, 2019 1:04 AM

I remember reading that Zach Gilford from Friday Night Lights played Alan Strang when he was in college. I would have liked to have seen that.

by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2019 1:06 AM

Lots of college productions don't include the nudity for Equus. It is pretty easy to eliminate. They cut the nude scene in my college production of Hair. I didn't even know where it went until I saw the last Broadway revival. (it was totally tacked on and not part of the plot in the least. What a gimmick.)

by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2019 1:11 AM

I’d love to see a college production of Take Me Out.

by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2019 1:14 AM

I saw Take Me Out in a local production, and because of a limited pool of talent and limited willingness to be publicly naked in a relatively small city, the men were not much to look at -- they certainly were not baseball hunks. It was embarrassing. It also made me wonder -- this show was performed on Broadway? Did people just buy tickets so they could see naked men? Average-looking guys aside, It was not that good of a show.

by Anonymousreply 7April 19, 2019 1:16 AM

There wasn’t anyone in my college theater department who needed to be nude. They did West Side Story one year and the Sharks/Jets chorus boys were the nanciest bunch of theater queens you could imagine.

by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2019 2:02 AM

Even better... a High School production of "Take Me Out"....!

by Anonymousreply 9April 19, 2019 2:12 AM

So few replies mean there have been very few such productions.

by Anonymousreply 10April 19, 2019 2:38 AM

I've seen community theater productions of "Hair" where they cut or severely restricted/modified the nudity. I'm going to another one next month--I'll be interested to see what they do with it.

by Anonymousreply 11April 19, 2019 3:01 AM

We did FOLLIES.

I sang " In Buddys Thighs."

by Anonymousreply 12April 19, 2019 3:14 AM

I saw Andrew Sullivan, of all people, play Alan in a college production of EQUUS at Harvard (where he was a graduate student and I was an undergraduate).

I remember he had a nice if unremarkable body at the time, but I do not remember his dick at all.

He was very impressive in the part, but then he played both Hamlet and Ferdinand in THE TEMPEST in other college productions exactly the same way.

by Anonymousreply 13April 19, 2019 3:20 AM

We did BENT at my theatre school.....one very well hung actor was naked the entire production. We also did Hair, I've never seen so much cock and tits flopping around ..it was awesome!

by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2019 3:21 AM

Seeing Marissa Jaret Winokur nude in "Hair" (professional production - not college) turned me gay.

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2019 3:42 AM

I can't imagine why a college would do Take Me Out, unless they're located in The Castro or Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2019 3:49 AM

I saw Daniel Radcliff in Equus. And four or five years later sat next to him in a restaurant.

The men in Take Me Out on Broadway we're attractive with great bodies

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2019 3:56 AM

I had a crush on a pretty blond boy theatre major in college but he wasn't into me. He had a hot cock too because I would see him and it cruising in one of the gym steam rooms. I went to see him in Bent, and I was perving on his beauty through the whole sad story.

by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2019 4:17 AM

Paul Rudnick’s The New Century would be an excellent choice for a college show. There’s a great full frontal part for an attractive young himbo.

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2019 12:02 PM

R13 are you talking about Andrew Sullivan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2019 12:56 PM

Our local university's production of Midsummer Night's Dream added a whole lot of full male nudity. Oberon was an adequate actor, but had a stunning body and dick that would project to the back balcony. All of the male fairies were naked, and all well-gifted. I'll bet the auditions were intersting.

Years ago, when I attended that school, I saw a ridiculously pretentious original production for which the set was a bunch of video screens showing various graphic shots (including close-ups) of the director jacking off. With cum-shots.

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2019 4:40 PM

I took an acting class where one of our assignments was to undress in a group to overcome the fear of being nude onstage. I was in college at the time, but this was a class that I took at a method acting school, not at the university.

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2019 4:41 PM

Theatre started to die back in the 1950s.

"After Dark" magazine advocated for nudity on stage back in the 1980s because they knew theatre would die without the Gays (and the jews).

Theatre is pretty much dead throughout most of the nation so I only go now unless there is a chance of erotic stimulation.

by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2019 9:28 PM

In three years of grad school I had experienced several straight male actor friends stripping naked for shows.

It's quite embarrassing. (for me - they don't care)

by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2019 11:59 PM

R24, Mary!

by Anonymousreply 25April 20, 2019 2:09 AM

R21, damn... wish I was there for THAT.

by Anonymousreply 26April 20, 2019 2:32 AM

R21 ... yes, your brief account is making my mind ferment with wild imaginings.

Can you give us more details?

by Anonymousreply 27April 20, 2019 3:06 AM

My high school did Equus, with nudity. Two boys were up for Alan and they had to go with the 18-year-old instead of the 16-year-old.

by Anonymousreply 28April 20, 2019 4:09 PM

[quote] [R13] are you talking about Andrew Sullivan?

No, Rose: I was talking about Rihanna, whom I just happened to refer to as "Andrew Sullivan."

by Anonymousreply 29April 20, 2019 4:14 PM

R21 here. Sorry for my delayed response. The nudity in the recent Midsummer Night's Dream was actually effective in support of the production with the other stylistic choices they made. It was probably the best university Shakespere I've seen, and not just because of all the dick-swinging eye-candy. That somehow felt integral and natural, and connected to a primalness of the "deep forest." And also titillating, of course.

More salaciously, Oberon was a .black-haired, olive-skinned stud, tall with a naturally well-developed athletic body, with a great body-hair pattern defining his pecs and framing that proscenium-scaled cock. He was also a decade or so older than his entourage of naked fairies, who were all 19 to 22 year-old smooth blond twinks. Allegedly, that entourage were all straight, or claiming so anyway, and all good-naturedly completing to see who could cock-tease the gay director to the greatest heights of ... inspiration. I'd like to have been at those cast parties.

As far as that old original production with the director masturbating on video screens behind the action, sorry, but that was about as unerotic as it could be, given it involved a hard, spurting cock. He was not someone anyone would fantasize about, and he produced the footage to emphasize the grotesqueness of the experience . There was a sort of hypnotic, rhythmic monstrosity going on behind the excretial excesses happening onstage. Those included, during a cum-shot montage on the screens, his obese hag wearing a rubber mask and slashed black plastic garbage bags writhing around onstage with her tits squeezed out through the slashed plastic.

All things considered, the director jacking off over his own pretentious crap was probably both the worst, and the the most honest theatrical expression I've ever.seen

by Anonymousreply 30April 24, 2019 4:24 AM

[quote]Did people just buy tickets so they could see naked men?

[raises hand]

by Anonymousreply 31April 24, 2019 4:42 AM

r31, why didn't you go to a male strip club show instead?

by Anonymousreply 32April 24, 2019 4:44 AM

Better class of ass on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 33April 24, 2019 4:46 AM

Was that in the US, r28? Frankly I can't imagine any high school foolhardy enough to do full-frontal nudity. Wouldn't the local fraus go ballistic? And how did you see both of the young men naked, may I ask? Were you "auditioning" them?

by Anonymousreply 34April 24, 2019 5:14 AM

No high school has ever done Equus with nudity.

Not even back in the '70s.

by Anonymousreply 35April 24, 2019 5:19 AM

[quote]Did people just buy tickets so they could see naked men?

Fuck yes.

Add "Killer Joe" and "Take Me Out" to the list of college productions which have already featured the meats.

by Anonymousreply 36April 24, 2019 5:28 AM

I'll never forget the live dramatic production of "Dawson's 50-Load Weekend" I saw at Yale.

by Anonymousreply 37April 24, 2019 5:37 AM

[quote]I'll never forget the live dramatic production of "Dawson's 50-Load Weekend" I saw at Yale.

"Saw" or "starred in?"

by Anonymousreply 38April 24, 2019 9:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!