Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Republican William Weld launches primary challenge against Trump

Former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld (R) officially launched a long-shot primary challenge against President Trump on Monday.

Weld, the Libertarian Party’s vice presidential candidate in 2016, did not mention Trump in a statement announcing his candidacy.

“In these times of great political strife, when both major parties are entrenched in their ‘win at all cost’ battles, the voices of the American people are being ignored and our nation is suffering,” Weld said.

“It is time for patriotic men and women across our great nation to stand and plant a flag. It is time to return to the principles of Lincoln – equality, dignity, and opportunity for all. There is no greater cause on earth than to preserve what truly makes America great. I am ready to lead that fight."

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2019 2:40 AM

He’s cool...

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2019 9:36 PM

WELL, COLOR ME SHOCKED -- A Republican overcame his FASCIST TENDENCIES.

21st Century WOW!

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2019 9:36 PM

OP should have provided a link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2019 9:37 PM

[quote]Former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld (R)

That probably ends his candidacy right there.

The GOP voters in the rest of the country will call him a "Massachusetts Liberal".

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2019 9:42 PM

Bill Weld was a great Governor for us.

Smart, well spoken and a little boozy.

I don't see much hope in this but I wish him the best.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2019 9:52 PM

I liked him as the Libertarian Party's VP candidate in 2016 -- their Pres candidate didn't know what Aleppo was, but Weld seemed quite knowledgeable in general and also sensible. I'd love to see him run against Trump for the GOP nomination, he's a much better candidate than Jeb, Cruz, Rubio, etc.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2019 9:53 PM

He almost certainly won't win, but the longer he lasts the more time, money and energy Trump and the Republicans will have to spend fighting him. Bear in mind that Ted Kennedy challenged Jimmy Carter in 1980 and Pat Buchanan challenged Bush the Elder in 1992. Both ended up losing in the general election.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2019 9:58 PM

And here's the really important part: Wikipedia says that William Weld is Tuesday Weld's 3rd cousin once removed! Maybe she'll campaign for him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2019 10:00 PM

Good. Split the vote.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2019 10:22 PM

Waste of time. Wasn't he out of the race early on in 2016? And now he thinks he can go the distance???? People are so delusional.

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2019 10:25 PM

Good for him. I look forward to forgetting he ever existed.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2019 10:25 PM

I was out with friends Friday, and the wife who remains an ardent Hillary supporter, is from New England and actually said how she liked Weld and wishes he’d run (she is most def a no-Joe, no-Bernie gal). I just sent her the linked article and her reply was “Yes!!!”

I don’t know much about him, but I’m going to take it he is of the “old school Northeast republican” school?

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2019 10:34 PM

IIRC he said that if Johnson’s candidacy began to look like it was gong to help Trump get elected, Johnson should drop out.

That said, this guy and Johnson basically put Trump in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2019 10:49 PM

As long as he can split the GOP vote I'm in.

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2019 10:57 PM

R13, Johnson probably did reduce Hillary's vote margin in New Mexico (his home state), although she still beat Trump in NM.

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2019 11:06 PM

I see no reason not to wish him well

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2019 11:49 PM

Weld is a Rockefeller Republican from the days when the GOP thought that the party could attract voters by promising them a better future rather than recruiting voters to vote against their own best interests.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2019 2:34 AM

He couldn't wait until tomorrow?

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2019 2:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!