Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Is this eclectic done right?

We had on here a few days back, a home in Indianapolis that was crammed full of stuff and it felt quite jarring. I came across this house and while it's fanciful, it also feels restful. Are we looking at a a style setter, or do you feel it doesn't work?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 17, 2019 2:14 AM

Holy Hell. Who designed the room in picture number 12? What color is that? And who is the poof hanging on the wall? Are they going to try and tell us that's a relative?

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2019 9:04 PM

It looks big from the outside, but is very divided-up and small on the inside.

One of the rooms (the one R1 highlighted) is surprisingly gaudy for such a rustic place.

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2019 9:07 PM

I think it’s charming

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2019 9:11 PM

No. Eclectic doesn’t mean “throw a bunch of shit together and call it a day.” You still need balance in scale and proportion and common threads in color and form.

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2019 9:12 PM

eh, no. Some rooms verge on shabby chic or md-century, such a mish mash with no direction. The rooms are too small for this "look". That kitchen really sucks too, I hate it when people take antique furniture and turn it into counter tops. It's also been for sale since 2013, so there must be something wrong with it other than the way it looks.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2019 9:15 PM

Actually this makes the Indianapolis home appear very well done. While this is a lovely property, many of the furnishings are not appropriate for the style of decor most suitable. The mid-century and other modern pieces do not bode well in my opinion. It would be better in a more traditional New England styles.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2019 9:20 PM

Agreed it is a lovely property, but the house exterior (tiny upstairs windows) and interior border on ghastly...

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2019 9:32 PM

I'm curious as to your thoughts on suitability. R6. Because the house dates from 1780, does it need to be furnished exclusively to that period? I am definitely pro-preservation, but I think it's important not to keep something trapped in amber like a museum.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2019 9:36 PM

Tis very connecticut

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2019 9:37 PM

I actually like it. I love the house (living room?) opening up onto the sun room, very nice. The blue bedroom is a bit eye-searing, but nothing paint won't fix.

I agree the bits of mid-century modern furniture are out of place, but that's a small thing.

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2019 9:43 PM

Looks like 2 gays decorated it out of years of weekends spent at "antique barns" and thrift shops. Why is a porch lantern serving as the lustre over a glass patio table, for 4, in the dining room with 6 likable enough chairs? And so on. In fact one of them surely owned a a shabby chic shop that failed after 5 years, in the late 90's. They are hopefully in their mid to late 60s, which would explain what has happened here.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2019 9:46 PM

Hi R8. I, myself, would decorate this in a more classic New England style. I would use more classic pieces with fine antique pieces mixed in. Because of the home’s geographic location I think a few very tasteful pieces that are authentic to when the home was built would be a nice touch, but I wouldn’t be looking for hoop skirts and bonnets anywhere.

As I said, I think the home is lovely. The mid century pieces are questionable to me but many others may love it like that.

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2019 9:48 PM

I'm 6'3" so I am instantly aware of all the low ceilings. OK for a summer cottage or weekend getaway

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2019 9:48 PM

R11 ding ding ding! The winner.

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2019 9:50 PM

I like the wood beams on the ceilings.

I don't like the red walls.

Is it haunted?

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2019 9:50 PM

It looks like they just tried to cram modern and traditional together, with it really just looking like traditional with bright splashes of color. They should've stuck to one or the other, this mixture doesn't work for me.

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2019 9:55 PM

Check out the ugly, pointless abstract painting in pics 5 and 7. Might as well be the corporate art featured in Gremlins 2. I wonder how much that set them back.

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2019 10:01 PM

Yes, why stainless steel in that kitchen in CT?

Who painted each chair in the sun porch a whimsical color? Hopefully a nice neighbor boy, old bohemian broke branch of a good family, sent as a day student to Kent School?

by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2019 10:01 PM

Tacky gay 90s decor

by Anonymousreply 19April 15, 2019 10:05 PM

I do like their table lamps.

by Anonymousreply 20April 15, 2019 10:11 PM

I recognize that place. Overlooks the river

by Anonymousreply 21April 15, 2019 10:16 PM

[quote] Who painted each chair in the sun porch a whimsical color?

Lol, that jumped out at me too.

by Anonymousreply 22April 15, 2019 10:44 PM

I think both house and decor are pretty good. However the photographs are not flattering; they are your basic realtor pics which try to include as much as possible.

by Anonymousreply 23April 15, 2019 11:00 PM

I know that house. It's on Route 7 in Kent Connecticut. Very busy road, trucks and motorcycles on weekends. Route 7 goes from Norwalk by the sound all the way up to the Berkshires in Mass. It's one of those charming houses that is never lived in for very long as it's always for sale. Very noisy.

by Anonymousreply 24April 15, 2019 11:13 PM

r1, I used to date a designer who called that color "tongue."

by Anonymousreply 25April 15, 2019 11:20 PM

Nothing eclectic about the place except the hideous vermillion walls in that one room. Once that's painted over and the furniture is replaced, you've got a very nice old-fashioned house with lots of lovely hardwood accents. Plenty of bedrooms, nice place for a family.

Nice, but unremarkable.

by Anonymousreply 26April 15, 2019 11:29 PM

I couldn't live there, it would drive me crazy, low ceilings like that are just too claustrophobic and I am not nearly as tall as R13. There is more than a foot space above my doors and windows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2019 12:39 AM

I sort of like the house, it does seem very Connecticuty. They sure went wild with all the color and not in the best way. My guess is that it was crammed full of much more crap, the Realtor made the owners call in Trish the Stager to edit some crap and then bring in different crap to make it more marketable.

by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2019 12:53 AM

Some of these rooms look like a pediatrician's waiting room.

by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2019 1:19 AM

I like the kitchen, the trophies room is really tacky.

by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2019 1:36 AM

I like it.

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2019 1:44 AM

Boy you bitches are fickle. It's not my taste exactly, but I appreciate what they've done,

by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2019 1:56 AM

This room gives me a headache. Notice the huge, round table near the window. Obviously too big for the space. Knotted pine can make a room look stressful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 16, 2019 1:58 AM

This room is set up to look like a coffee counter at Starbucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2019 1:59 AM

This room is super ugly with the pastel orange walls. Chairs don't match the table. Room not inviting at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2019 2:02 AM

We've seen much worse on DL

by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2019 2:05 AM

Hated it!

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2019 2:05 AM

I like it but would redecorate.

by Anonymousreply 38April 16, 2019 2:09 AM

R24 , is Indianapolis in Connecticut ?

by Anonymousreply 39April 16, 2019 2:15 AM

R33, I think that room just needs a lot less stuff in it.

by Anonymousreply 40April 16, 2019 2:27 AM

What does that even mean, R39?

by Anonymousreply 41April 16, 2019 3:01 AM

Tacky, claustrophobic piece of shit. From the outside, it looks like a matchstick house with a cheap-looking roof. Ponderosa pine walls? Please. At least there wasn't a Sputnik chandelier mixed in that mess.

by Anonymousreply 42April 16, 2019 3:07 AM

Hate it.

by Anonymousreply 43April 16, 2019 3:08 AM

I like the house and all flaws are easily fixed, except those distressed ceiling beams. It just looks like crappy wood, it doesn’t look antique.

by Anonymousreply 44April 16, 2019 3:20 AM

Shady Pines, Ma!

by Anonymousreply 45April 16, 2019 3:29 AM

Nobody paints their dining room the same shade as Pepto Bismol and puts up "art" that's a cross between impressionism and cubism unless it's a cow getting milked. I can't tell. It's awful. It doesn't belong in a dining room. It doesn't belong in a barn; it would spook the cows.

it's a gut job. It makes my gut hurt.

by Anonymousreply 46April 16, 2019 3:29 AM

Looks like a great place to rent, for a weekend.

by Anonymousreply 47April 16, 2019 3:40 AM

This is only a weekend or vacation home, right? I mean, we’re all on the same page that this is a second home and not a primary residence, right?

I hate all the furniture but it’s fine for weekend or vacation.

by Anonymousreply 48April 16, 2019 4:06 AM

Why would it have to be a weekend place, R48? Seems like it could go either way,

by Anonymousreply 49April 17, 2019 2:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!