Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sometimes It's Hard Not To Have Racist Thoughts...

...even if you never thought you were one.

An example: My city in one of the Great Lakes states is always counted as one of the most liberal college towns in the country. There is not one Republican who who occupies a post in the city government. Our representative in the House is a gay man and our Senator in D.C. is a lesbian.

The minority population is not large (about 7%, it that. The city has spent a ton of money on affordable housing, educational opportunities, job training, you name it.

Yet, at least 95% of the crime is committed by POC. One very nice affordable housing building with about 40 units and in a nice neighborhood opened last August. POC's occupy 36 of the 40 units. Well, the brand new building has already been trashed, there have been nearly 300 police calls there just since it opened. Gunshots almost every night. Neighbors have been assaulted and are almost afraid to leave their homes and find it impossible to sell due to the violence. Two years ago, this was a quiet, we'll-kept neighborhood and considered semi-upscale.

The latest is that groups of minors from the building (some as young as 12 years) have been roaming not only this neighborhood, but are venturing out further, stealing cars, smashing windshields, attacking sometimes elderly (white) people at gas stations or entering or leaving businesses. When (and if) the cops apprehend them, these kids just laugh in their faces and say things like "I don't care, haul me in. I'll be out in an hour." And they're right.

So, I ask you, is it any wonder that a majority of other residents, who have had a history of being supportive, have become alarmed and angry? With feelings of racism often rising to the surface?

How does one overcome this?

by Anonymousreply 30April 15, 2019 10:57 PM

[quote]...even if you never thought you were one.

And that makes you a liar.

[quote]How does one overcome this?

You're a racist and let's be honest... you really don't want to overcome it!

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2019 6:00 PM

"Notre Dame is on fire and no one was paying attention to me, so I decided to start some trollbait threads."

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2019 6:02 PM

Just be racist, OP. You wouldn't be the first racist and you won't be the last. In fact, I'm sure you'll get replies that reflect your concerns. Feel free to visit 8chan as well if you want to feel less alone.

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2019 6:06 PM

So, only a few comments so far, but I just assume you guys would be just fine with everything described? (And it you say yes, you're a liar.)

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2019 6:10 PM

OP, most DLers are racist...towards white rednecks. Nobody wants to be around a deplorable. I dare anyone not to be racist towards a redneck deplorable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2019 6:31 PM

It really isn't, OP, if you're not deplorable trash.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2019 6:50 PM

I agree with original poster. You don't overcome. You never will. The same way the repliers are against you because they have made decisions about you, with EXTREME PREJUDICE, you do the same with your experiences. It's how we stay safe.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2019 6:54 PM

OP I like Madison and would not want that kind of activity but I live in a city of 20 per cent POC so this is NO surprise and have no solutions

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2019 6:59 PM

Just remind yourself that you hate scumbags, no matter what color. That tends to cover it.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2019 7:22 PM

Well if you consider the discrimination against skin color that results in economic injustice then you see why POC's commit those crimes.

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2019 7:30 PM

This is about economics and trickle down poverty OP, not race. I grew up in a predominantly white area of the UK, and the same stuff happened on the mostly white council estates. Oh, and you're not an accidental racist, are you, you nasty little muppet.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2019 7:35 PM

Really r5? Most DL worship them if they clean up their look and are muscular

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2019 7:41 PM

OP is just a racist and has no interest in understanding the deep issues underlying what he’s seeing. This is America.

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2019 7:49 PM

It’s actually not hard not to be racist or have racist thoughts, just as it’s not hard not to be a pedophile.

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2019 7:55 PM

I think the OP, and some subsequent replies, raises an interesting, if unintentional, point. I wonder how much of the hatred we have directed against Trump, his base, the deplorables, etc. is because they are giving voice publicly and proudly to some opinions we have, that we’ve kept to ourselves, and/or only voiced in private. Think about it.

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2019 7:59 PM

Some of you seriously are disgusting

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2019 8:00 PM

R15, I thought about it. Did you vote for Trump, since you seem to agree with him and the deplorables? If the answer is no, why not?

Think about it.

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2019 8:01 PM

We are all racists.

by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2019 8:04 PM

The most racist here are usually fem.

by Anonymousreply 19April 15, 2019 8:05 PM

Unless you were born on Mars or raised by wolves, it’s difficult (if not impossible) to prevent stereotypes of any kind from coming into your head. Like it or not, at the most fundamental level, we think in stereotypes. Which is to say, we base our initial reactions and responses to what we’ve been conditioned to think, or what we’ve told ourselves to think based on our experiences and judgments, about race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. IMHO, these stereotypes get implanted into our lizard brain (the amygdala) by whatever family and culture we have been raised in and become part of our reflexive (yet nonetheless dumb) survival mechanisms.

The important thing is what you DO with the thought. Do you accept it as the truth and apply it to every individual instance who matches the template in your lizard brain? Do you clutch your purse and cross the street? If you see a person with skin that’s not the same shade as yours being attacked in the street do you scurry away and pretend nothing happened, because, you know, he’s probably a bad person and deserves what he gets? If you're a white employer, do you choose the white person over the black person with equal qualifications?

Or do you recognize that your initial reaction was based on the stereotype, set it aside, and assess the situation like a THINKING ape, based on viewing the person as an individual human being, who likely is loved by other people, who matters to SOMEONE, who is a living being that can bleed and feel pain and the same emotions as you; along with whatever factors seem salient in that particular situation.

So you can’t PREVENT the thoughts, but you can recognize them for what they are, you can separate them from yourself, you can neutralize them, you can laugh at the stupidity of them, there are a million things you can do other than accepting them as true and letting them guide your thoughts or behavior.

One of the first things I would suggest is to ignore the word “racist,” whether applied to yourself or other people. It’s a word that’s used to stereotype, objectify, denigrate, hurt and dismiss people based on assumptions about them (they’re hateful, uneducated, bigoted, white trash, etc.), which is to say, it has EXACTLY the same usage and intent as the N-word, faggot, etc. You can’t defeat that, because it isn’t an argument. It’s a playground-level, confrontational, holier-than-thou strategy wielded by lazy-minded people who don’t know how to discuss things respectfully and civilly.

by Anonymousreply 20April 15, 2019 8:11 PM

[quote]Yet, at least 95% of the crime is committed by POC.

Bullshit. Just bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 21April 15, 2019 8:23 PM

R17 you missed the point entirely.

by Anonymousreply 22April 15, 2019 8:34 PM

UP here, and again I just chime in and ask if you people are seriously okay with assaulting the elderly, smashing the windows of a total stranger's car, terrorizing what WAS a peaceful and harmonious neighborhood, trashing a lovely building that was paid for with taxpayer dollars for YOU?

If you ARE okay with all of this, this speaks volumes about YOU. Not me.

by Anonymousreply 23April 15, 2019 9:04 PM

People like OP are in tears about Notre Dame, as they would be.

by Anonymousreply 24April 15, 2019 9:07 PM

[quote]Our representative in the House is a gay man and our Senator in D.C. is a lesbian.

Nice touch. Should be easy to figure out the area, then.

by Anonymousreply 25April 15, 2019 9:07 PM

[quote]Our representative in the House is a gay man and our Senator in D.C. is a lesbian.

OP resides in Wisconsin's Second District.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 15, 2019 9:19 PM

Good job. Now what liberal college towns are within that district?

by Anonymousreply 27April 15, 2019 9:21 PM

Madison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 15, 2019 9:23 PM

I’m doing a tech project for a county school in the rural south. The high schools have a combined 2400 grads each year. Black and white performance scores are almost identical.

Minority population is around 4%, and self segregation is rare.

Massive difference from my project work in urban city schools.

Racism seems nonexistent, since all the black kids are surrounded by white friends daily.

by Anonymousreply 29April 15, 2019 10:54 PM

An employee of the school offered a good point. She said that most of the black students were from families that had left the city limits schools so that their children were not exposed to the much higher minority population and the pathologies that have hurt City school integration of education.

by Anonymousreply 30April 15, 2019 10:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!