Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

We need to talk about the Best Actress Nominations, 1966 - because there's a whole lot to say.

[bold]Julie Christie – Darling as Diana Scott - WINNER[/bold] (& the gayest movie of the '60s in more ways than one)

Julie Andrews – The Sound of Music as Maria von Trapp

Samantha Eggar – The Collector as Miranda Grey

Elizabeth Hartman – A Patch of Blue as Selina D'Arcey

Simone Signoret – Ship of Fools as La Condesa

A couple of them TOTALLY forgotten.

(& in this photo, if J.C. isn't thinking "Gurl, puhlease!" - I don't know what she was thinking)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2019 12:48 AM

A lot of the idiots on imdb used to go on and on about what a travesty Julie Andrews didn't win.

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2019 12:03 PM

Forgotten by who? Certainly not movie lovers.

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2019 12:09 PM

A Patch of Blue as Selina D'Arcey

Simone Signoret – Ship of Fools

Never even heard of them.

The Collector was a bad, very studio bound movie, but a good book. Terence Stamp was mediocrity itself as an actor and Samantha Eggar a "B" movie actress.

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2019 12:10 PM

Julie Christie should have an Oscar but not for this.

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2019 12:24 PM

This particular year and award keeps me up at night, stewing.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2019 12:29 PM

Loved Eggar.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2019 12:32 PM

I was born 20 years later when movies were in color. Are any of these actors still alive?

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2019 12:50 PM

You don’t know that Julie Andrews is still alive?

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2019 12:53 PM

I was born in 1936.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2019 12:53 PM

Which one is Julie Andrews?

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2019 1:01 PM

Technicolor is so old, his memory is slipping.

He was born in 1916. Not 1936.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2019 1:34 PM

Not really an incredible year for Best Actress, especially after 1964. Julie Andrews was basically playing Mary Poppins with an acorn stuffed up her crack. Elizabeth Hartman gives a beautiful performance in "A Patch of Blue". I haven't seen "Darling" in years and remember very little about it. Off hand, the only other strong performance I can think of (not nominated) was Anne Bancroft in "The Slender Thread". You had Bette as "The Nanny" which isn't as camp as it could have been, a feisty Jane Fonda in "Cat Ballou" (the Academy wasn't ready for her as a nominee), Elizabeth Taylor in the trashy soap opera "The Sandpiper", Jean Simmons in "Life at the Top" (a sequel to "Room at the Top", for which Simone Signoret won the 1959 Oscar; Doris Day in another sex comedy, "Do Not Disturb", and Deborah Kerr in the sex comedy "Marriage on the Rocks". No Joan C., no Stanwyck, no Hayward, no Olivia, no to the two Hepburn's. Vivien Leigh was good in "Ship of Fools" but was overshadowed by Signoret. Incredible year for men, though, and they gave it to Lee Marvin for a western comedy!

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2019 2:03 PM

I’m old-school: when someone says 1966 Best Actress Oscar, I think:

Elizabeth Taylor in Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (winner)

Anouk Aimee in A Man and a Woman

Ida Kaminska in The Shop On Main Street

Lynn Redgrave in Georgy Girl

Vanessa Redgrave in Morgan!

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2019 2:15 PM

Having seen them all, I think Christie was the best choice. It’s generally conceded she won for Doctor Zhivago too. Christie was everywhere and got a lot of great press after her two films were released. Without Christie, I think Hartman would’ve won over Andrews, despite the huge popularity of TSOM. Hartman was magnificent in POB. But Christie excelled in two quite different films.

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2019 2:27 PM

Christie was SO good in Darling - NO contest!

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2019 2:37 PM
by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2019 12:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!