Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

SNL: The Movie

From the mind of Tina Fey and directed by Amy Poehler, Wine Country proves that friendship is a trip. In honor of Rebecca's (Rachel Dratch) 50th birthday, Abby (Amy Poehler) plans a scenic Napa getaway with their best, longtime friends. Workaholic Catherine (Ana Gasteyer), post-op Val (Paula Pell), homebody Jenny (Emily Spivey), and weary mom Naomi (Maya Rudolph) are equally sold on the chance to relax and reconnect. Yet as the alcohol flows, real world uncertainties intrude on the punchlines and gossip, and the women begin questioning their friendships and futures. A hilarious and heartfelt comedy directed by Amy Poehler, Wine Country co-stars Tina Fey, Jason Schwartzman and Cherry Jones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 29, 2019 7:58 PM

Just reading about that gave me a headache.

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2019 10:34 AM

Why are they excluding Molly Shannon and Cheri Oteri?

But at least they’re being trans inclusive this time.

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2019 10:37 AM

It's enough watching these dried up cunts making a fool out of themselves every award season. I'd rather be gropped by Weisntein in prision than watching this POS.

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2019 10:57 AM

how quaint.

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2019 11:03 AM

Overly talkative, older single woman at wine tasting........Laraine Newman

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2019 11:48 AM

It was kind of formulaic. I was watching out for why it got some middling reviews. Some of the jokes don't land. It felt a little hastily put together and there's a couple of editing and continuity mistakes. My favorite bit was how they didn't want to learn about wine.

by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2019 11:16 AM

Saw previews. Basically a group of drunk hens. It’s been done a million times and it’s not even funny. If the first joke they feature is having one of them fall down drunk from a piano and then resurfacing from behind while exclaiming “I’m OK!” (how new, fresh an clever!), they’re in trouble.

Oh, wait, NOW I GET it! It’s a group of women, each with ONE discernible good quality, who collectively make THE PERFECT WOMAN!! How profound!!!

It’s a formula alright - one that expired in 1997.

by Anonymousreply 7May 16, 2019 11:30 AM

Just like Dead To Me, which apart from having one of our dear homespun puns (and don’t think for a minute that I didn’t ponder on the possibility that one of the writers could have been a DL regular), completely wastes Applegate’s and Cardellini’s talents on “Thelma and Louise v.2”

by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2019 11:35 AM

“Empowering!”

“A tour de force performance by Pohler and Dratch”

“Make room for Emmys at the mantle!”

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2019 11:38 AM

Do these granny hags ever get fucked?

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2019 11:59 AM

Like Bridesmaids without the laughs.

by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2019 12:26 PM

I would be the perfect target audience: a frau who's a faithful fan of all the SNL ladies. But this does not look appealing to me at all, just seems stale. I'd rather watch a rerun of Ab Fab for the tenth time.

by Anonymousreply 12May 16, 2019 12:42 PM

Just make a Jenna Maroney / Liz Lemon movie already.

Also Maya Rudolph has never been funny.

by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2019 12:47 PM

It's OK...

by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2019 12:48 PM

I have finished 28 minutes of the movie and cannot listen to these women any longer. I am surprised as I like many of these actresses, but I feel the joke is lost on me.

by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2019 12:53 PM

Anyone who thinks Maya Rudolph has NEVER been funny has some sort of brain damage or other impairment.

She's a national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2019 12:55 PM

This is why I refuse to believe [italic]Good Burger[/italic] was worse than any of the concurrent SNL movies.

by Anonymousreply 17May 16, 2019 12:59 PM

r16 Hi Maya!

by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2019 1:13 PM

I watched it last night. Cute, sometimes funny, always predictable. The scenes with Cherry Jones as a Tarot card reader are the best part. Pell's character is relatable and heartwarming, but she's no actress. 3 out of 5 stars from me.

by Anonymousreply 19May 16, 2019 1:15 PM

I really wanted to like it but these characters were insufferable. All the worst stereotypes of how annoying women can be.

by Anonymousreply 20May 16, 2019 1:16 PM

The lesbian made me think of Datalounge.

She's a fat and old, waiting in vain for the young person to text her: "I'm, like SO into you! I must have your pussy NOW!"

by Anonymousreply 21May 16, 2019 2:05 PM

So, the one character is a gay female tranny? Why couldn't she just be, you know, a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 22May 16, 2019 2:13 PM

I've rarely found Amy Poehler's writing or acting very funny. This is no exception.

by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2019 2:17 PM

R22, do you not support intersectionality?

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2019 2:25 PM

r24, I support not making something more complicated than it needs to be.

by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2019 2:33 PM

The Pell character was post-op KNEE surgery, and was indeed just a regular ole lesbian. 19 has it right.

by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2019 2:53 PM

^Okay, that makes more sense. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2019 2:57 PM

Never thought Rachel Dratch was funny. They all got fat.

by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2019 3:19 PM

I watched it. It was enjoyable, but nothing amazing.

There is no trans character, not sure what that's about.

I thought it was interesting that Amy was playing Leslie Knope.

[quote] Do these granny hags ever get fucked?

Yes, they all fuck Jason Schwartzman.

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2019 3:42 PM

r28=Debbie Downer

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2019 5:05 PM

I watched the first five minutes, which was a montage of them all living their type A lives, on the phone with one another wondering when they would ever have time to relax together. They were all rich and self-congratulatory. It was unbelievably hateful.

by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2019 5:07 PM

Hateful?

by Anonymousreply 32May 16, 2019 5:08 PM

oh thank god there isn't a tranny shoehorned into it.

I still don't want to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 33May 16, 2019 5:12 PM

There's a trans person in the scene at the art gallery.

It's a perfectly pleasant movie. It was fine entertainment for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Not great, but decent.

by Anonymousreply 34May 16, 2019 5:36 PM

The closing credits are everything though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 16, 2019 5:47 PM

Why was this iconic movie not in theaters?

by Anonymousreply 36May 16, 2019 5:50 PM

[quote]There is no trans character, not sure what that's about.

Someone upthread said the character was "post-op." It was just a misunderstanding.

by Anonymousreply 37May 16, 2019 6:04 PM

[quote] Why was this iconic movie not in theaters?

Because grandpa no one goes to the movies anymore. Heck two of the Oscar Best Pictures were never in a theater.

by Anonymousreply 38May 16, 2019 6:10 PM

It was a typical SNL reunion-y kind of movie, the kind Adam Sandler and that crew have been doing forever. Only difference is this is the ladies, so of course DL hates it.

Some parts were funny, some parts were not. I would have thought the part of the end where they skewered millennial/hipster nonsense at the art show would have resonated with some of you old queens.

by Anonymousreply 39May 16, 2019 6:12 PM

[quote]Heck two of the Oscar Best Pictures were never in a theater.

Oscar nominees are REQUIRED to play in a theater in NY and LA.

by Anonymousreply 40May 16, 2019 6:18 PM

R40 stop being a little bitch. You know exactly what I mean. Maybe on a technicality Netflix booked Roma into a movie theater so it would be eligible but it was not a film released into theaters. Therefore the comment above dismissing Wine Country as somehow being subpar because it didn't play the suburban multiplex where you hang out looking at kids peeing at the urinal is absurd. Aside from big budget shit shows and franchises, movie theaters are dying.

by Anonymousreply 41May 16, 2019 6:23 PM

[quote]Just like Dead To Me, which apart from having one of our dear homespun puns

The expression "dead to me" is neither a pun, nor unique to DL.

I watched about 15 minutes of Wine Country last night to help me fall asleep. Did the trick, but I'm not the least bit compelled to resume watching. It's beyond formulaic and cheesy (and I'm a 54-year-old woman, so probably the target audience).

by Anonymousreply 42May 16, 2019 6:23 PM

[quote] The expression "dead to me" is neither a pun, nor unique to DL.

Now it's the name of a TV show written and cast with DL in mind.

by Anonymousreply 43May 16, 2019 6:24 PM

It was hilarious. So much better than Adam Sandlers billion dollar vacation movies he farts out every 90 days.

by Anonymousreply 44June 20, 2019 4:58 AM

Why is anything with middle aged women automatically bashed yet if this were the same type of flick and concept with middle comedic guys it would be seen as edgy and funny. At least give it a chance first, sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 45June 20, 2019 5:01 AM

r44, Ha. Your right. That is exactly what he has been putting out for the past 10 years. LOL, "Billion dollar vacation movies". I like it. LOL

by Anonymousreply 46June 20, 2019 5:03 AM

It was pretty heartfelt and relatable too. Yes, they all seemed rich, but damn if I haven't had those same conversations. The only thing I would've changed would be spoiler alert Mya'a character could've been waiting on biopsy results instead of BRCA. I loved Amy's rant about the oceans and rhinos. And loved how they all hated Brian, they never say why, but we've all known that terrible guy who everyone can see is terrible except their own boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 47June 20, 2019 12:57 PM

I liked it. The Netfilx previews were misleading as hell, it wasn't like them at all. Way more heart and smart laughs.

by Anonymousreply 48June 21, 2019 6:07 PM

On balance I enjoyed it but not enough for a second viewing.

by Anonymousreply 49June 21, 2019 6:32 PM

Rachel Dratch wouldn't have a career if she weren't friends with the overrated Tina Fey.

by Anonymousreply 50June 21, 2019 6:46 PM

[quote]Anyone who thinks Maya Rudolph has NEVER been funny has some sort of brain damage or other impairment. She's a national treasure.

No. No, she's not.

by Anonymousreply 51June 21, 2019 6:48 PM

She was great in this and always manages to have great chemistry with her costars

by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2019 11:08 PM

The hipster scene was hilarious. I thought it was harmless fun.

by Anonymousreply 53June 23, 2019 11:16 PM

Thank god Melissa McCarthy turned this down

by Anonymousreply 54June 23, 2019 11:28 PM

Both Melissa and Chrissy Meth turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 55June 24, 2019 11:43 AM

It was harmless, middle-of-the-Road, mostly middling, and formulaic.

Each generation gets to muse on getting older, not understanding contemporary culture, watching the past slip away, and facing a mortality that gets clearer each passing day.

They did it well enough. Sort of a soccer mom vibe, but soccer moms share most of the same existential predicaments as the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 56June 24, 2019 1:10 PM

I thought this was an ok movie. Paula Pell looked too old to be in that friends group. In ten years from now there should Wine Country part 2 where Tina Fey's weirdo character hosts a group friend played by Kristen Wiig, Cecily Strong, Kate McKinnon, and Vanessa Bayer.

by Anonymousreply 57June 29, 2019 1:16 AM

No Kristen Wiig?

by Anonymousreply 58June 29, 2019 1:30 AM

R57, it made sense that they all waited tables together, I'm still friends with a group from 20s and one of the gals is 60 and the rest of us are in our early 40s-early 50s. It bonded us like Vietnam. That and we all still like getting fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 59June 29, 2019 2:08 AM

Chrissy Metz wasn't offered the role because Netflix and the production companies didn't have the money for her food supply.

by Anonymousreply 60June 29, 2019 7:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!