Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

John Irving author

OK. What the fuck is with all the bears?

by Anonymousreply 134February 13, 2021 2:04 PM

If you've never seen the bears in the Vienna zoo, you wouldn't get it.

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2019 1:33 PM

I think it is like, symbolism.

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2019 1:31 AM

He's into bears

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2019 1:42 AM

I've always found him hot.

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2019 1:43 AM

me too r4. I had some Rolling Stone issue with him in a wrestler's outfit (I think it was an Annie Leibowitz photo) that I liked in high school.

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2019 1:45 AM

He used to host wresting tournaments at his home.

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2019 1:46 AM

The Cider House Rules and A Prayer For Owen Meany gave me great pleasure back in college. I remember many scenes and lines from those books still. Irving is a very tangential and redundant and obsessive and sentimental and sexually adventurous and inelegant writer. Of a time. Hard to figure what's behind some of it but he finishes every character's story all the way to the end. His big fame is before my time but yeah he was gym teacher hot. He wisely escaped to Canada.

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2019 1:56 AM

R5 Leibovitz photo from Vanity Fair. Yum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2019 3:16 AM

Did anyone ever read The World According to Garp or The Hotel New Hampshire? (I saw the movies a long time ago)

Are they worth reading?

Owen Meany is a great book.

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2019 4:48 AM

He moved to Canada so bears would be a natural progression.

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2019 5:13 AM

bump for an answer to #9

by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2019 4:36 AM

R9 yes, The World According To Garp is worth reading. It’s a mess of a novel, but you fall in love with the characters: in the beginning with Garp and his mom, and by the time the novel ends, you love all the people they’ve gathered around them to form a ridiculous family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 22, 2019 5:27 AM

Keep passing the open windows.

by Anonymousreply 13April 22, 2019 5:28 AM

It was all a ploy to get Nastassja Kinski into a bear costume.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2019 5:33 AM

I still read him faithfully but he’s been reshuffling the same elements over and over in his books since Garp... some combination of bears and Vienna and prostitutes and novelists and sex with older women and wrestling and freak accidents and death. The last couple I really had to drag myself through.

by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2019 5:39 AM

Speaking of bears.....

"Bear" won the Governor General's award for fiction. About a librarian having actual sex with a bear. No wonder there's a meme out there called "What The Actual Fuck, Canada?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2019 5:45 AM

Yes, there are lots of bears and New Hampshire residents in his novels. There are also trans characters, young boys who grow up with missing parents, stern nurses, bisexuals, authors, lumberjacks, apples and prostitutes in his books.

by Anonymousreply 17December 2, 2019 1:13 AM

The input here pretty much covers his oeuvre. I admire the way he spins a story. He is a little man, but hot.

by Anonymousreply 18December 2, 2019 1:40 AM

He's admitted he's bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2019 1:56 AM

Predestination vs. Free Will

by Anonymousreply 20December 2, 2019 1:56 AM

When did he say he's bi? That better be true, don't toy with me!

by Anonymousreply 21December 2, 2019 2:05 AM

I read ...Garp in high school and loved it. When Hotel New Hampshire came out, I bought a hard cover and devoured it. Same with Cider House Rules when I was in college. As soon as I finished reading, I started it again and read it twice in a row -- that's how much I loved it.

Then grad school left little time for pleasure reading, so I didn't pick up A Prayer for Owen Meany until the mid-90's. Soon after, I bought and read A Son of the Circus. I think I had outgrown Irving. ...Circus was absolutely tedious.

Nevertheless, I will always remember how much I adored Garp, Hotel, and Cider House. After you read one of his books, the themes and character devices in the next one(s) become predictable. But my first Irving books brought me great joy. That's a nice thing.

by Anonymousreply 22December 2, 2019 2:13 AM

r19, he said he had crushes on wrestlers in school but it turned out that he liked girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2019 2:16 AM

yes we can

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 2, 2019 2:16 AM

I liked In One Person very much--it's especially poignant as his gay son inspired it.

He and Edmund White are good friends, which I find interesting.

by Anonymousreply 25December 2, 2019 2:21 AM

They never should have made Hotel New Hampshire into a movie. Bovine closeted Jodie Foster fucking her brother. Yeesh!

by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2019 2:47 AM

Everything was great until A Son of the Circus. Haven't been able to get through any of his work since them. APrayer for Owen Meany is my favorite novel. The movies weren't great with the exception of Cider House Rules

by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2019 3:12 AM

I read ALL THE BOOKS>

i'm so sorry, I was but a teen

by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2019 3:18 AM

John Irving is my favorite living American author.

Cider House Rules (the book) is probably the best of the bunch. I read it once a year. Heartbreaking.

Garp (the movie) was Glens' first feature. Robin Williams at his best and John Lithgow as a tranny. Really well done.

Between his hotness, his talent and his bisexuality Irving should be a regular topic.

by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2019 3:39 AM

Anyone else think Irving wished he had transitioned? He seems to have a bizarre fixation on trans and also seems to low-key fetishize the worst the world has to offer to women (rape, incest, beatings, murder). Either that, or he has a fetish for trans. That would go a long way to explain why he seems to think non-passing trans don't exist.

by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2019 3:44 AM

In 'A Widow For One Year' Ruth Cole is a female version of John Irving.

by Anonymousreply 31December 2, 2019 4:07 AM

Cider House Rules is a great book and I’m not a John Irving fan. A prayer for Owen Meany seems a bit ripped off from Fifth Business by Robertson Davies.

by Anonymousreply 32December 2, 2019 4:10 AM

R30, that makes sense

by Anonymousreply 33December 2, 2019 1:59 PM

He is repeating himself, but yes, he had a few amazing classic books.

There was a photo around a decade or so ago with him and his son that was so hot....both of them looked great.

by Anonymousreply 34December 2, 2019 2:03 PM

CIDER HOUSE RULES, GARP, IN ONE PERSON, A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY and HOTEL NEW HAMPSHIRE were terrific books, some of them I read three times.

I remember one of the significant characters in GARP was a former professional football player who had transitioned. That well rounded kind character, Roberta, I think may have been the first trans character I ever read about.

However, if one reads John Irving's works, one does find the same ingredients and elements mixed in there.

Yes, he did sort of indicate he's sort of bisexual. I did read his son is gay. Irving is an ally.

by Anonymousreply 35December 2, 2019 2:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 2, 2019 2:53 PM

I would have knelt down in front of him as he appears in R36.

by Anonymousreply 37December 2, 2019 3:03 PM

I think he is an original, a class of his own - my favorite author ever. Unfortunately, he seemed to lose his magic on his latter novels. I still haven’t finish his latest, Avenue of mysteries since over a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 38December 2, 2019 3:06 PM

He exudes sexual energy. I bet he throws a mean fuck.

by Anonymousreply 39December 2, 2019 5:42 PM

Well, he's seventy-seven, r39. His mean-fuck-throwing days were quite a while ago.

by Anonymousreply 40December 2, 2019 5:45 PM

Irving and son

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 2, 2019 5:50 PM

Adore Irving, but have not read him for decades. Garp and Hotel helped me lots, especially 'Keep Passing The Open Windows' and 'Sorrow Floats'

Oh, and the Ellen Jamesians were not future feminists, they were future trannys. Demanding demanding and chopping off body parts. He was ahead of his time

by Anonymousreply 42December 2, 2019 5:58 PM

Owen Meany is a classic. He said in an interview the gay subtext was deliberate.

by Anonymousreply 43December 2, 2019 6:01 PM

[quote]Well, he's seventy-seven, [R39]. His mean-fuck-throwing days were quite a while ago. —Anonymous

OK, Zoomer, if you say so....lol

by Anonymousreply 44December 2, 2019 7:01 PM

He sure loves wrestling

by Anonymousreply 45December 2, 2019 7:03 PM

Getting hot and sweaty with muscular young men...Who wouldn't?

by Anonymousreply 46December 2, 2019 7:05 PM

It's the bears, people with acondroplasia, young man dating older women, bisexuality, transgenders, car accidents.

He has tons of recurrent themes.

And i love him, he has a lot of good novels and unlike other writers the older ones don't feel dated

by Anonymousreply 47December 2, 2019 7:08 PM

And of course he is the type of writer who celebrates his son coming out with a novel (in one person), Sebastian Barry did the same with his son (Days without end)

by Anonymousreply 48December 2, 2019 7:09 PM

[quote] OK, Zoomer, if you say so....lol

I'm Gen X, brainiac.

by Anonymousreply 49December 2, 2019 7:10 PM

John Irving novels are overall good yarns, pretty humorous, easy reads. I LOVED a "Prayer for Owen Meany," which made me laugh out loud even in repeated readings. I loved sad ol' "Cider House Rules" for a matter of fact abortion plot/theme and that ether sniffing doctor trying to give all the Fuzzy little orphans hope for a bright future. Reread that one a few times, too. Only read "Hotel New Hampshire" once, not into the Bears. Did love the character name "Egg" and named my cat after him. I don't remember loving "Garp," and didn't care at all for any of the movie adaptations of any of these books.

It's soooo long ago that I read them, I'd consider rereading if I had a lot of downtime, say, hammocking in the shade on an extended beach vacation, but I can't imagine picking them back up when my reading time is limited. (Same for Tom Robbins' novels). I saw John Irving live at the Herbst Theater in the late '80s or maybe '90 or '91...he was pretty much at his peak handsomeness as per "Rolling Stone" and was a a funny, engaging speaker. I'd have done him if he picked me outta the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 50December 2, 2019 7:24 PM

Ah, yes, the photo at R41 was the one I remembered with his son.

Very NIFTY photo, if you catch my drift.....

by Anonymousreply 51December 2, 2019 8:19 PM

I wonder if the wrestling competitions he hosted ever turned into a fuck and suck orgy?

by Anonymousreply 52December 2, 2019 8:22 PM

From Wikipedia: "In 2010, Irving confirmed that he is a second cousin of Amy Bishop"

I think they're referring to DL archvillainess DR. Amy Bishop.

by Anonymousreply 53December 2, 2019 8:27 PM

I love Garp, New Hampshire and yes, even "Son of the Circus" (which is too long) but I could never embrace Owen Meany or Ciderhouse....

I think they were too sentimental.

by Anonymousreply 54December 2, 2019 8:37 PM

Hotel New Hampshire remains on my top ten list. Just loved it.

by Anonymousreply 55December 2, 2019 8:40 PM

I read all of his works up to A Son of the Circus and Widow for One Year (even the 98-Pound Marriage and the Water Method Man). Cider House and Owen Meany are my favorites, but liked Garp and Setting Free the Bears too. (Water Method Man is fun because it is so different from his other works.)

by Anonymousreply 56December 2, 2019 8:44 PM

R7 Prayer for Owen Meany is my all time favorite novel, period. Coincidentally, I’m re-reading A son of the circus thinking I’d like it better the second go ‘round. Sadly, no.

by Anonymousreply 57December 2, 2019 8:48 PM

R38 wholeheartedly agree with your entire post.

by Anonymousreply 58December 2, 2019 9:13 PM

Is that John's gay son in the pic?

by Anonymousreply 59December 2, 2019 9:59 PM

R59 yes, that's his son next to him at R41.

by Anonymousreply 60December 2, 2019 10:13 PM

Bears, Hookers and Vienna factor into many of his books. References to New England prep schools as well.

Supposedly, he was asked about this some years back and his response was "bears make it more interesting". Translation: whenever he got stuck or bored, he'd write in something about bears to break his writer's block.

by Anonymousreply 61December 2, 2019 10:14 PM

He has three sons. Are they all gay?

by Anonymousreply 62December 2, 2019 10:15 PM

He was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2007 and subsequently had a radical prostatectomy.

by Anonymousreply 63December 2, 2019 10:16 PM

Around the time he wrote Until I Find You (which is a mess) he confessed that he was raped by a woman when he just a boy, around 10 years old, I think. It was a really upsetting interview.

by Anonymousreply 64December 2, 2019 10:18 PM

Well that puts Jenny Garp in a whole new light.

by Anonymousreply 65December 2, 2019 10:19 PM

^Jenny Fields

by Anonymousreply 66December 2, 2019 10:20 PM

Saw him do a reading of A Son of the Circus when the book was released. He walked off stage right after reading a lengthy passage and did not do a Q&A. The book didn’t sound interesting at all, although it was a bit hypnotic the way he kept repeating “Dr. Daruwalla.”

by Anonymousreply 67December 2, 2019 10:26 PM

I also stopped reading him after SOTC. I wonder what it was about that particular book? I couldn't finish it either.

by Anonymousreply 68December 2, 2019 10:31 PM

There’s a scene in his novel A Widow for one Year that is hysterically funny.

by Anonymousreply 69December 2, 2019 10:41 PM

Those are some handsome photos of John Irving. I agree with R39.

John Irving either won or was nominated for an Academy Award and a GLAAD literary award.

During his press junket for IN ONE PERSON, he was forthcoming about his crushes on other wrestlers. I believe he was also forthcoming about his son's coming out.

Glenn Close was Jenny Fields, yes. John Lithgow was Roberta Muldoon. I've read that novel a couple of times, but CIDER HOUSE RULES and A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY and IN ONE PERSON were the novels that I found both melancholy and outrageously funny.

by Anonymousreply 70December 3, 2019 12:53 AM

Not bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 3, 2019 1:55 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 72December 3, 2019 9:24 PM

I agree that Cider House Rules has the best film adaptation.

I've repeated one of its lines hundreds of times. My husband and I are very involved in animal rescue and have rehomed over a thousand dogs in the past two decades. For each one, we say aloud "Let us be happy for (Max). (Max) has found a family. We should be very happy for (Max".)

by Anonymousreply 73December 3, 2019 10:55 PM

His next book 'Darkness is a Bride' will be a ghost story.

by Anonymousreply 74December 4, 2019 1:56 AM

Has anyone read his autobiographical novel 'The Imaginary Girlfriend'?

by Anonymousreply 75December 5, 2019 3:23 AM

R73, you are kind and compassionate. Compliments to you and your husband.

by Anonymousreply 76December 6, 2019 12:07 AM

I’ve read almost all of Irving’s novels and loved a number of them. As others have said, Owen Meany is his masterpiece. It’s probably my all-time favorite novel.

Coincidentally, I worked with a guy who turned out to be John Irving’s long lost brother. They didn’t discover each other until their 40s or 50s. I can’t remember the details. Maybe they had different mothers or one was put up for adoption.

by Anonymousreply 77December 6, 2019 10:50 AM

I have Owen Meany at home (and Last night in Twisted river and Until i find you) at home waiting for me. I like Irving a lot but his novels are long so i need to be in the right mood. In one person was the last one i read

by Anonymousreply 78December 6, 2019 11:48 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 79December 6, 2019 5:53 PM

He still wrestles!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 6, 2019 9:48 PM

R4 Oh fuck off ya tiresome cunt

by Anonymousreply 81December 8, 2019 3:14 AM

There's always sentimentality offered without apology, deep melancholia, and some lurid subplot to balance them out in Irving's novels. I have enjoyed all the ones I've read so far.

by Anonymousreply 82December 8, 2019 3:50 AM

Garp bit Bonkers

by Anonymousreply 83December 8, 2019 3:52 AM

Garp predicted the rise of the SJW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 8, 2019 4:03 PM

The Ellen Jamesians were the precursors for the trannys

by Anonymousreply 85December 8, 2019 4:10 PM

Interesting as Irving believes trannies are real women.

by Anonymousreply 86December 8, 2019 4:28 PM

I couldn't make it through Avenue of Mysteries (his latest, 2015). That stated, A Prayer for Owen Meany is THE great American novel and should be recognized as such.

by Anonymousreply 87December 8, 2019 4:41 PM

R86 Yes, saw that too, but he really does seem to have issues with strong women

by Anonymousreply 88December 8, 2019 4:52 PM

Gloria Steinem? Gloria Allred?

by Anonymousreply 89December 8, 2019 11:03 PM

Gloria Gaynor?

by Anonymousreply 90December 8, 2019 11:30 PM

Gloria Bunker?

by Anonymousreply 91December 9, 2019 4:44 PM

R75 I have but I can't remember a thing about it. I have read all his books through Until I Find You and agree that A Son of the Circus was tedious. I love all the classics that came before that, and find the first three novels interesting, but he didn't hit his stride until Garp.

by Anonymousreply 92December 11, 2019 1:20 AM

He was a sleep around guy when he taught at the University of Iowa’s Writer’s Workshop

by Anonymousreply 93December 11, 2019 2:03 AM

I have no doubt, R93. With both men and women?

by Anonymousreply 94December 11, 2019 3:20 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 95December 13, 2019 5:37 AM

Bitty Tuck and her diaphragm.

by Anonymousreply 96December 13, 2019 1:42 PM

I hate it when people hint that they know something and then leave the thread.

by Anonymousreply 97December 13, 2019 6:41 PM

I've enjoyed John Irving's books since "World According to Garp". However, I don't the hate for "A Son of the Circus".

Many years ago, I was flying home from an extended stay in Rio de Janeiro and needed something to read during my very long flight home. This, of course, was pre-internet, anything "smart" didn't exist. So I ended up in a bookstore and since I do not read Portuguese, "A Son of the Circus" was the only book in English storewide, so I bought it. While reading it on the plane, I was laughing so hard that people around me were looking at me as if I was mental. Since then I've been a big fan and read everything he publishes.

PS; sorry in advance for any typo/grammatical errors, typing this on my phone and it is very hard to read.

by Anonymousreply 98December 14, 2019 12:48 AM

He just became a Canadian citizen:

‘Ending up here is a love story.’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99December 14, 2019 1:59 AM

^ Gee, strong statement.

by Anonymousreply 100December 14, 2019 5:31 AM

So his gay son is now a tranny. What a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 101December 14, 2019 7:17 AM

R101 Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 102December 14, 2019 6:04 PM

His son Everett is now his daughter Eva.

by Anonymousreply 103December 14, 2019 6:38 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 104December 15, 2019 3:03 PM

[quote]He used to host wresting tournaments at his home.

Me too!

by Anonymousreply 105December 15, 2019 7:43 PM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 106December 15, 2019 11:05 PM

R106 the tranny son news killed the thread

by Anonymousreply 107December 15, 2019 11:22 PM

I didn't realize until I read that article. It mentioned his daughter Eva and I wondered if she was a stepdaughter. I knew he had a gay son named Everett..oh wait.

by Anonymousreply 108December 15, 2019 11:26 PM

Checking out Instagram, Everett used to be cute as a guy.

by Anonymousreply 109December 17, 2019 2:26 AM

It always more tragic when the hot ones turn.

by Anonymousreply 110December 18, 2019 5:27 AM

I posted at #93 about the Writer’s Workshop and it was only women.

by Anonymousreply 111December 18, 2019 5:34 PM

I'm not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 112December 19, 2019 11:40 PM

Oh my, r8. I need to take a drink of water.

by Anonymousreply 113December 19, 2019 11:44 PM

I just read Avenue of Mysteries and was barely able to finish it. I just didn't connect with that book. Like many here, A Prayer for Owen Meany is a top 5 book for me. I'll read the one about his son now. I hadn't heard about that one.

by Anonymousreply 114December 20, 2019 12:36 PM

I'm going to try Son of the Circus. Maybe it's not as bad as everyone says.

by Anonymousreply 115December 20, 2019 9:40 PM

I liked Son of the Circus but I understand why others don't...it rambles and could use pruning. But, I liked the setting and the Dickensian characters.

by Anonymousreply 116December 20, 2019 10:10 PM

The first third of Son of the Circus is a bit of a slog but stick with it.

Yes it's long but once you get into it it's quite good.

by Anonymousreply 117December 20, 2019 11:21 PM

Years ago a DLer told a story about accidentally picking up John Irving's bag at the airport. The DLer was so starstruck he froze and couldn't let go of the luggage. It was a tug of war until Irving yanked it out of his hand and walked away with a withering look of contempt.

by Anonymousreply 118December 21, 2019 4:08 AM

Irving was on CBC's prime time news show tonight. I thought he was pretty wonderful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119December 21, 2019 8:13 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120December 21, 2019 8:44 PM

John Irving has no problem with a ten year old boy being molested by an older woman. WTF John?

by Anonymousreply 121December 22, 2019 1:59 AM

I bet he's into all kinds of kinky shit.

by Anonymousreply 122December 22, 2019 3:50 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 123December 22, 2019 7:44 PM

I think he would be intimidating in person.

by Anonymousreply 124December 23, 2019 7:29 PM

I ha€™ve always identified and sympathized with a wide range of sexual desires. As a boy, I was confusingly attracted to just about everyone: in lieu of having much in the way of actual sex (this was the 50s), I imagined having sex all the time with a disturbing variety of people.

I was attracted to my friends€™ mothers, to girls my own age, and €”at the all-boys school I attended, where I was on the wrestling team €”to certain older boys among my teammates. Easily two-thirds of my sexual fantasies frightened me.

My first girlfriend was so afraid of getting pregnant that she permitted only anal intercourse. I liked it so much that this added to my terror of being gay.

It turned out that I liked girls, but the memory of my attractions to the wrong€ people never left me. What I’m saying is that the impulse to bisexuality was very strong; my earliest sexual experiences €”more important, my earliest sexual imaginings taught me that sexual desire is mutable.

In fact, in my case€” at a most formative age sexual mutability was the norm.

I don'€™t think about audiences not the €œnon-niche€ kind or any other kind. I read a writer because of how he or she writes, not because of the subject. Sophocles wasn't an incest writer; Shakespeare'€™s subject wasn'€™t royalty. As a member of the audience, I love Sophocles and Shakespeare because of how they tell a story.

by Anonymousreply 125December 24, 2019 2:50 AM

He used to play nude lacrosse with his sons.

by Anonymousreply 126December 25, 2019 6:25 AM

Bump

I have just read 'In one person'. It was fine, not that great tbh. A bit too on the nose of being (cringe, but it has to be said) 'woke' for when the story was set. He is also very pro sexual fluidity, trans etc, but there is an undercurrent of snide to the gay men in the book. After reading up about AGP after reading 'Galileo's middle finger', I have to agree with an above poster who said it feels like John is a repressing transwoman. The obsession with the topic seems odd. It's also far more common than people think for bi men, who vastly prefer women, to have cross dressing desires. Very common.

He strikes me as the ultimate AGP prototype. Many 'transbians' start out as bi men, often engaging in lots and extreme 'gay' sex, but most certainly prefer women.

by Anonymousreply 127February 13, 2021 6:10 AM

AGP is— Accelerated Graphics Port, a high-speed point-to-point channel for attaching a graphics card to a computer's motherboard Advance Game Port, a third-party GameCube accessory Aerosol-generating procedure in medicine or healthcare Ambulatory Glucose Profile Arabinogalactan protein Orosomucoid, or alpha-1 acid glycoprotein Organisations[edit] Arasan Ganesan Polytechnic, India Asom Gana Parishad, a political party of Assam Associação Guias de Portugal, the national Guiding association of Portugal Guinean Press Agency (French: Agence Guinéenne de Presse) People[edit] A. George Pradel (c. 1938), mayor of Naperville, Illinois Alejandro García Padilla (born 1971), Puerto Rican politician Arthur Guyon Purchas (1821-1906), Welsh-New Zealander clergyman Charles Marvin Green Jr., better known as Angry Grandpa (1950–2017), American Internet personality Other uses[edit] Acordo Geral de Paz (Rome General Peace Accords) ending Mozambique's civil war in 1992 Australian Grand Prix, a motor race Málaga Airport (IATA code), Spain Motor torpedo boat tender (US Navy hull classification system) Autogynephilia, a psychological typology of male-to-female transsexualism

by Anonymousreply 128February 13, 2021 6:16 AM

The last one, love

by Anonymousreply 129February 13, 2021 6:24 AM

Does he have a new novel out? i still haven’t finished his recent one Avenue of Mysteries. For many year now.

by Anonymousreply 130February 13, 2021 10:16 AM

I liked "A Widow for One Year". The Dutch cop husband character sounded hot.

by Anonymousreply 131February 13, 2021 10:26 AM

A Prayer for Owen Meany is my all time favorite book.

by Anonymousreply 132February 13, 2021 11:24 AM

Sorry but i found the "he is a represed trans women" ridiculous.

Writers are obsessive people. Most of them recicled the themes they like again and again, fortunately for Irving he is obsessed with a lot of different things (bears, achondroplasia, bisexual men, car accidents, young men falling in love and having sex with older women and yes trans women).

The world according Garp is incredibly modern for a novel wrote in the 70's.

I think In one person is his last great novel. Yes, it's uneven, some parts are not good, but the good parts are really great

by Anonymousreply 133February 13, 2021 12:18 PM

The last one I’ve read is In One Person. I enjoyed it. I read Garp and Hotel NH when I was in my early teens. I think they were the first big, “adult” books I ever read.

by Anonymousreply 134February 13, 2021 2:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!