Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The shady side of Bill Gates

I wonder of being on the spectrum prevented Gates from having any empathy for Gary Kildall. He also "borrowed" the mouse technology fron Xerox, and the spreadsheet concept that would eventually become MS Excel from 2 college professors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2019 3:07 AM

Wait, Bill Gates invented the mouse and spreadsheets?

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2019 6:32 AM

No ultra wealthy person gets their fortune by playing nice. Even if they mellow out and become altruistic later on, you can bet that they got where they are by stepping on the necks of others. That usually means some level of sociopathy. Gates is probably the most altruistic of the worlds’ 1% today, as he’s not only determined to give most of his fortune to charities but he’s also trying to convince other billionaires to sign pledges saying they’ll donate at least 50% of their fortunes.

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2019 7:04 AM

He is pure evil and wants to inflict GMO on the world.

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2019 8:19 AM

OP, not all apples are rotten like Jobs.

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2019 9:07 AM

i know someone that was at harvard at the same time as him. He did not drop out. He was asked to leave. Probably why never hear about him donating to harvard. IIRC he stayed in his room a lot and was not social, likely on the spectrum but I m not a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2019 9:19 AM

The movie PIRATES OF SILICON VALLEY (1999) shows a dark shadowy side to BG.

Anthony-Michael Hall gives a brilliant (and sadly underrated) turn as Gates in the film, and his take on the man is both eerie and adorable. This Bill is presented clearly as an earnest ambitious young mind frustrated by lesser intellects more socially-skilled than he is, and also as a predatory manipulative scammer who all but seduces Noah Wylie's pretty hot-blooded Jobs into trusting him with his priceless software. There is a sympathetic foray into Gates' behaviour in certain scenes, but for the most part he takes the villainous 'Iago' role to Jobs 'Othello' in this version of their story.

Hard to say if it's accurate, but it was writ and released thus in the 90s with the express permission of Microsoft, so take that for what it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2019 10:41 AM

R2 absolutely right

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2019 10:46 AM

R6 So Jobs was the softy in that? That man had a heart of stone, ask his first born.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2019 10:51 AM

Not exactly, R8. Wylie is easy on the eyes and his acting in POSV was soft-edged compared to other representations, but still plays Jobs as Jobs.

Wylie's Steve is presented as an egomaniacal cult leader who gets off on exploiting employees, but the plot point driving the film - what proves to be his undoing - is his inexplicable blind spot when it comes to Gates. Discounting their mutualism in the new Millennium, Steve's personal fondness for Bill is almost a killing blow for Apple and it is left ambiguous why the oft-detached Jobs falls for this so easily. It's an excellent character study.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2019 11:19 AM

What's the story on Gary Kildall? Never heard of him.

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2019 11:38 AM

Watch the video, numb-nutts

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2019 11:56 AM

[quote]but I m not a doctor.

Yeah, we can tell.

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2019 12:40 PM

This spells it all out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2019 1:34 PM

Paul Allen said things turned out the way they did also because he was the son of a librarian and Bill Gates was the son of a lawyer. Skeptical that Steve Jobs' contributions to the computer world were all that big, I guess Apple is also more about style and arts and elegance, I guess he had a good bit of help with software and all kinds of things. I read that Bill Gates' grandfather was an important eugenetist. Lost tells the story of Silicon Valley, New Technology, and their connections to New Age, and Scientology a good bit.

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2019 2:47 PM

So we stan Jobs/Gates on this board?

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2019 4:07 PM

Bill & Steve are not the legends they were made out to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2019 2:22 AM

Most cutthroat corporate types aren’t autistic, and it might take some interpersonal sophistication to do what he did in swiping that stuff. As a side note, I don’t know whether this is current thinking, but I’ve read more than once that people with autism are both less likely to lie (typically, not always) and less able to understand that they’re being lied to.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2019 3:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!