Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Great Documentaries

What are some documentary recommendations you have? It's probably my favourite type of film and I'm always looking for new ones.

by Anonymousreply 93June 1, 2019 5:52 PM

This popped up in my youtube recommendations. I'd already seen it some time ago. The time a supercarrier almost blew up and sank with John McCain on board..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2019 5:55 AM

Searching for Sugarman

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2019 6:01 AM

Czech Dream

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2019 6:03 AM

I watch all kinds of documentaries. I like the ones that are more like podcasts and you don't need to look at the screen. There is a wiki just about documentaries. DocuWiki.net that lists documentaries on file sharing networks.

Now I am watching an enjoyable and fascinating one called Ancients Behaving Badly. Its 10 years old and has cheesy music and a pulpy narrator and the stories are good. Its about madmen leaders - narcissists and psychopaths from ancient history. It's good food for thought, nowadays and always, really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2019 6:06 AM

I love all of Joanna Lumleys overseas travel docos, eg. Japan, Greece, India, Silk Road.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2019 6:10 AM

Simon Schama's Power of Art

Journey to the Edge of the Universe

The Salt of the Earth

The Story of Film

Indie Game: The Movie

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2019 6:26 AM

Tickled

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2019 7:18 AM

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2019 4:52 AM

The minimalists and free solo

by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2019 4:56 AM

The Man Who Skied Down Everest

Touching the Void

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2019 4:58 AM

I am eager to hear more docs on this thread. I love them. My vote for one of the best is an old one but oddly relevant these days: Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky. Although old now, the statement on media and its power is valid even today.

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2019 5:02 AM

Something's the Matter with Aunt Diane

Robin Williams: Come Inside My Mind

Crumb

Grey Gardens

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2019 5:02 AM

Really enjoyed RBG.

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2019 5:25 AM

The Sorrow and the Pity

Epic account of Vichy France.

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2019 5:28 AM

Team Foxcatcher was a very odd haunting documentary that I actually found to be more gripping than the feature film. Blackfish , Roman Polanski :Wanted and Desired, Man on Wire, and The Rachel Divide were all pretty interesting.

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2019 5:41 AM

There was one about the Beslan school massacre but can't find the video anymore. Harrowing, heartbreaking and horrific.

Oh, and any animal ones. Blue planet, Nat Geo, etc. Tons of clips on YT.

Obviously just google documentaries and watch to your liking. Everyone has a specific taste or wanting too see and learn from.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2019 6:08 AM

Truth or Dare

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2019 6:22 AM

The Imposter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2019 6:29 AM

Stevie

In the Realms Of the Unreal

Hell House

Eyes of Tammy Faye

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2019 6:32 AM

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2019 6:34 AM

Helvetica, a documentary about typeface.

I second The Sorrow and the Pity.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2019 6:37 AM

Yes, Helvetica was interesting.

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2019 6:59 AM

Winged Migration.

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2019 7:01 AM

Grey Gardens

Gimme Shelter

Grizzly Man

The act of killing

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2019 7:06 AM

Alone in the Wilderness

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2019 7:16 AM

Salesman

by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2019 7:22 AM

"Paris Is Burning" is an old documentary that I recently saw for the first time. I think it holds up. I later found out that Dorian Corey (one of the characters) had a dead body in his apartment (discovered after Corey died).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2019 7:27 AM

20+ years ago, R25, I’d just smoked a bowl and began flipping through the channels. I stopped on PBS where an old looking film had just started. It was Alone in the Wilderness. I enjoyed it so much! It’s still one of my most memorable TV watching experiences.

by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2019 7:43 AM

The everlasting "friendship" of Kinski and Herzog : the contrast between the two main chatacters makes it comic. A great laugh (sometimes).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2019 7:45 AM

Harlan County USA

Three Identical Strangers

Thirty Feet From Stardom

Shoah

In The Year Of The Pig

by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2019 7:55 AM

Jesus Camp

Dark Star: Inside H.R. Giger’s World

Marwencol (the original documentary, not the stupid Steve Carrell film based on it.)

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2019 8:07 AM

I love whores glory and love at the twilight motel

by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2019 8:11 AM

Herb and Dorothy.

This documentary is great for anyone, but especially art lovers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 16, 2019 8:12 AM

Byzantium: A Tale of Three Cities

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2019 8:12 AM

THe World at War series

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2019 8:22 AM

Most films by Frederick Wiseman.

by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2019 8:22 AM

all docs start and end with Shoah...

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2019 9:18 AM

Dear Zachary

Friends of God and The Trials of Ted Haggard

by Anonymousreply 38April 16, 2019 10:14 AM

2018 BBC Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema

This 5 parter is a very enjoyable and informative review of 5 movie genres in cinema history. I've been a movie fan and film scholar for decades and I learned insights. He's very straightforward and it's non-stop clips from a very wide range of movies, old favs to ones you've never heard of, including very recent movies.

You can use this documentary as your own good film survey class, he does all the work, and very little theory - it's for the general population but by my no means dumbed down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 16, 2019 10:24 AM

Steven Johnson's How We Got To Now.

Clean, cold, light, time, sound, glass.

It's semiotics of engineering and science in economic and social history, though he never uses any theory. Charming, pleasant and interesting discussion of developing human civilization.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 16, 2019 10:33 AM

Adam Curtis - very whacked out British documentary maker. Try his last, Hypernormalisation. In my opinion it takes Althusser Marxist theories - our inescapable interpellation by ideological state apparatuses - and then does a sort of Baudrillard look at today's "simulation" of "society" (fake world) run by international capital (real world). It's all silly and conspiratorial but his movies build up a wonderful trance like feeling with surreal images and music and droning narration. Somewhere along the way, you'll think a few times, "but it's all horrible true!" "what a nightmare!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 16, 2019 10:42 AM

Anything by David Attenborough.

The Jinx

by Anonymousreply 42April 16, 2019 11:13 AM

Eyes on the Prize - great PBS series on the Civil Rights Movement

The Civil War - one of the few Ken Burns documentaries I enjoyed

Ditto for The Vietnam War series by Ken Burns

These are documentaries for people interested in American History.

by Anonymousreply 43April 16, 2019 11:59 AM

R43 Eyes on the Prize is fabulous.

I also love Muscle Shoals - a must if you’re even a little interested in music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 16, 2019 12:07 PM

Trinity and Beyond, about nuclear weapons, narrated by William Shatner in a very subdued way. Great footage, beautiful original soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 45April 16, 2019 12:12 PM

Two of Werner Herzog's very best Land of Silence and Darkness & Grizzly Man

by Anonymousreply 46April 16, 2019 12:22 PM

Two great PBS series about art, The Shock of the New and American Visions, written and hosted by Robert Hughes.

The American Nightmare, an original documentary shown on IFC about 20 years ago, great analysis of classic 70s horror films and the cultural/political climate which spawned them, featuring interviews with Tobe Hooper and John Carpenter among others.

The Loss of Nameless Things, about avant-garde theater director Oakley Hall III, who was on track to to become one of the big name directors of the 1970s, when a fall from a bridge (probably a drunken accident but maybe an attempted murder) left him brain damaged.

The Woodmans, about a family of artists, and how the parent's coped with the suicide at age 22 of their daughter Francesca, who has bén posthumously recognized as one of the greatest photographers of her generation.

Be Here to Love Me, about the life and times of the hugely influential and famously self destructive singer-songwriter Townes Van Zandt.

by Anonymousreply 47April 16, 2019 12:28 PM

grey gardens is my altime fave

I have to watch the edies once a year, to make me belive in the lord

by Anonymousreply 48April 16, 2019 12:52 PM

The King in the Car Park, about the discovery of Richard III’s remains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 16, 2019 12:59 PM

Food Evolution. Great documentary on GMOs. You may not come away supporting GMOs, but you might be more skeptical of the antis claims.

by Anonymousreply 50April 16, 2019 1:00 PM

For film lovers:

Scorsese's Il mio viaggio in Italia and his A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies; also The Story of Film; and Hitchcock/Truffaut; and The Celluloid Closet

Gay documentaries:

Word Is Out; The Times of Harvey Milk

Ken Burns' The Central Park Five; and his The Vietnam War

Josh Fox's How to Let Go of the World and Love All the Things Climate Can't Change; also his two GasLand films

Bleed Out

Meet the Patels

Putin's Revenge (a PBS Frontline documentary)

Capturing the Friedmans

People Like Us: Social Class In America

The Clinton Affair

Hot Coffee

Food, Inc.

God in America

Broadway Musicals: A Jewish Legacy

Completely agree with the previously mentions of Shoah, Eyes on the Prize (and Eyes on the Prize II), Grey Gardens, and Grizzly Man

You'll laugh at this one but I don't care: Sister Wendy's The Story of Painting

by Anonymousreply 51April 16, 2019 1:09 PM

"Finding Fela" by Alex Gibney

by Anonymousreply 52April 16, 2019 1:22 PM

Any of the Up series, Agnelli on HBO,

by Anonymousreply 53April 16, 2019 1:25 PM

The Thin Blue Line

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2019 1:25 PM

HBO - Death on A Factory Farm

by Anonymousreply 55April 16, 2019 1:26 PM

Hoop Dreams

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 16, 2019 1:27 PM

Zoo -- despite its subject matter, I thought it was well-executed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 16, 2019 1:28 PM

"The Keepers"--on Netflix

"Spellbound"--about kids who go to the national spelling bee

"7 Up" and all the Up Series docs to follow---about British class system and child development into adulthood

"Prohibition" and "Jazz" ---Ken Burns

"My Kid Could Paint That"--Art, children, hype

"Exit Through the Gift Shop"--more art & hype

"Dreams of a Life"--about a woman in London who died in her apartment and wasn't found for 2+ years.

by Anonymousreply 58April 16, 2019 2:22 PM

Crash Reel

Free Solo

by Anonymousreply 59April 16, 2019 3:06 PM

LaLee's Kin, now available on youtube. Albert Maisles made the film. That guy was an asshole, but he made a great movie here.

Alexie and the Spring, which i have on VHS (yes, from 2005), and which i cannot find anywhere. About a small Siberian village called Budische, 100km from Chernobyl. One young man (Alexei) stays behind along with all the old people of the village, rejecting a government offer to relocate them to Minsk. The most beautiful and profound film i have ever seen. Made by a Japanese documentarian. Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 60April 16, 2019 3:27 PM

Agree with R36 about Frederick Wiseman. One of the greatest documentary filmmakers...one of the greatest filmmakers, period.

The Academy recently gave him an Honorary Oscar...but the fact that his films can't get through the Best Documentary nominating process just shows how meaningless and middlebrow the Best Documentary Oscar is. Instead, they continue to reward absolute shit like "20 Feet from Stardom" -- a film made with a complete lack of vision, artistry and craft.

His most accessible films might be the recent "National Gallery" or "EX LIBRIS" but if you want to jump right in...his late 60s masterpieces "High School", "Hospital" and especially "Titicut Follies" would be the place to start.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 16, 2019 3:32 PM

R53 Second the Agnelli doc! Really fascinating. I also recommend:

Icarus

They shall not grow old

Jiro dreams of sushi

Scrum (about a gay rugby team)

by Anonymousreply 62April 16, 2019 9:40 PM

Jiro Dreams of Sushi and Thin Blue Line are fantastic. Sonis Ken Burns Vietnam War.

Will check out the Agnelli doc and have bookmarked Secrets of Cinema.

by Anonymousreply 63April 17, 2019 4:54 AM

Faces Places, an Agnes Varda doc that's just really life affirming

by Anonymousreply 64April 17, 2019 6:09 AM

The Coronation (BBC documentary on Queen Elizabeth)

Manolo: the boy who made shoes for lizards

Maddman: the Steve Madden story

McQueen ( documentary on fashion designer Alexander McQueen)

I am Heath Ledger

by Anonymousreply 65April 17, 2019 11:26 AM

Medieval lives: birth, marriage and death. A truly fascinating 3 part documentary! It's on Youtube somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 66April 17, 2019 11:35 AM

Adam Curtis - 'The Century of the Self', 'Bitter Lake', 'The Power of Nightmares' ......explains the disaster that is American clearly

by Anonymousreply 67May 11, 2019 3:26 AM

RIC Burns' NEW YORK.

An absolutely awesome achievement. All Episodes are great, but last three are the best:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 11, 2019 3:29 AM

Finding Vivian Maier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 11, 2019 4:31 AM

Grey Gardens

by Anonymousreply 70May 11, 2019 4:50 AM

R69 Surprise, she is a cunt

by Anonymousreply 71May 11, 2019 6:17 AM

Hotel Terminus the Life and Times of Klaus Barbie.

I don't even know how many times I've seen it, maybe 20. Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 72May 11, 2019 6:29 AM

Thx all. Great thread

by Anonymousreply 73May 11, 2019 6:48 AM

Thank you, R47. I loved 'The Woodmans'.

by Anonymousreply 74May 11, 2019 8:57 AM

Jaco

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 11, 2019 9:05 AM

I just finished "Jane Fonda in Five Acts" from HBO. Youtube has it for free. I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 76May 11, 2019 9:48 AM

"Bus 174", about the Brazilian hostage crisis on a city bus in 2000. Though what he did was wrong, the documentary shows the perpetrator to be a sympathetic figure who left home after his mother was murdered and had been the victim of police brutality along with many other teens in the slums of Rio.

by Anonymousreply 77May 11, 2019 9:55 AM

More recommendations please! Also, Amazon can suck my dick. Hardly anything is available for free with a Prime subscription, and now they are charging another subscription on top of your fucking Prime subscription to watch most films. Cunts.

by Anonymousreply 78May 25, 2019 10:36 PM

R51 - - I went to the Kimball Museum in Fort Worth specifically because Sister Wendy had featured it.

I loved Simon Schama's History of Britain series.

Robert Hughes did an outstanding series called American Visions.

by Anonymousreply 79May 25, 2019 11:23 PM

The Secret World of Richard Nixon - BBC Documentary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 25, 2019 11:37 PM

Harlan County USA

The World at War

by Anonymousreply 81May 25, 2019 11:40 PM

Vernon, Florida is one of my all time favorite documentaries. It was the cripple capital of America because so many people committed insurance fraud by chopping off a hand or foot to claim insurance. He went there to make a documentary about it and people got wind of it and threatened to kill him.

So he was stuck there with a film crew and nothing to do. Then he just began to talk to the eccentric (non-amputee) denizens of the town and got something extraordinary. My favorite is the turkey hunting enthusiast. He’s the heart and soul of the doc.

I was so taken by this lovely old fellow and his incredible enthusiasm I began googling him and was very sad to learn his daughter is a meth addict who’s been in and out of prison for that and prostitution. He’s dead now, perhaps fortunately.

by Anonymousreply 82May 25, 2019 11:50 PM

Sorry, “he” = Errol Morris

by Anonymousreply 83May 25, 2019 11:50 PM

The recent documentary Evil Genius is also fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 84May 25, 2019 11:53 PM

Roger and Me is still, IMO, Michael Moore’s best doc.

by Anonymousreply 85May 25, 2019 11:55 PM

O.J.: Made in America was gripping.

by Anonymousreply 86May 25, 2019 11:59 PM

My favorite Errol Morris doc is Fast, Cheap and Out of Control.

Then there's this. Watch just the beginning and you'll watch the whole thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 26, 2019 12:27 AM

Director Nick Broomfield's two docs. on Aileen Wuornos: "Aileen: The Life and Death of a Serial Killer: and "Aileen Wuornos: The Selling of a Serial Killer". They really led to an understanding of what led to her bitter end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88May 26, 2019 12:44 AM

Paris is Burning is being rereleased on the big screen for its anniversary shortly. Mostly in NYC but hoping it makes it out to LA.

If you like wine, Somm is a good one. It’s about sommeliers studying for the insanely difficult Master Sommelier exam.

The Eyes of Tammy Faye is fun. She was a living caricature and not a bad person.

The doc that’s stayed with me most is Dr. Death. I don’t want to spoil the crazy twist it takes, but it starts as a film about a man who designs instruments of execution like gallows. Stranger than fiction and infuriating.

by Anonymousreply 89May 26, 2019 1:36 AM

Anyone else have CuriosityStream? I got a couple of months ago but I’ve only watched shows about space/astronomy so far.

by Anonymousreply 90June 1, 2019 5:11 PM

Anything by Frederick Wiseman. The first one I saw in 1971 was High School (1968).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91June 1, 2019 5:27 PM

The Queen of Versailles, about deplorable businessman David Siegel and his aging trophy wife trying to build the BIGGEST (and tackiest) house in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 1, 2019 5:35 PM

"Daughter from Đà Nẵng" was nominated for, and in my opinion deserved to win, the Oscar for Best Documentary, but it was the year that "Bowling for Columbine" won.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93June 1, 2019 5:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!