Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Instant Pot

I wanted a pressure cooker but I bought this instead. If you have tried an Instant Pot I would love your honesty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 17, 2019 3:07 AM

I prefer my pot to be natural

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2019 5:40 AM

Beans have to be soaked overnight even with an instant pot.

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2019 5:52 AM

I bought one during Black Friday but haven’t gotten around to using it yet. Just unpacking and washing such a monstrosity is giving me stress.

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2019 6:20 AM

This shill shows up every 6 months or so. I wonder if he's also the paid Aldi shill?

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2019 6:26 AM

I got one for Christmas and didn't expect to use it much, but I've used it regularly since, mostly for soups, and, surprising, hard-boiled eggs, which just taste better somehow when pressure-cooked.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2019 6:28 AM

Yes, hard boiled eggs are usually a nightmare to peel if you use fresh eggs, but they are so easy when pressure cooked I don’t cook them any other way nowadays.

The meat in beef stew doesn’t soak up the flavors as much because it cooks so quickly, but it is incredibly tender. My sister had the same experience with pork. I’ve been meaning to try brineing the meat overnight first to see if that helps, but I haven’t done that yet.

I haven’t tried making beans yet. I had heard you can go from dry beans to cooked beans in a few hours and am sad to hear that might not be the case. I’ll have to research that more before trying.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2019 7:11 AM

The instant pot reviewers on YouTube are the frauiest fraus who ever fraued

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2019 9:07 AM

R6, yes, you can directly cook dry beans. Rinse them first and put them in the pot. I do it every week and they come out fine. Beans need about 35 minutes cooking time, plus the time for the pot to heat up and cool down, so maybe 1.5 hours total.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2019 9:32 AM

Make sure you read the directions first or watch You-Tube videos. You can burn yourself if you don't remove the lid correctly.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2019 9:39 AM

I have both kinds of pressure cookers, stovetop and electronic.

The stovetop pressure cooker creates higher pressure, so cooks faster, while my electronic PC cooks at lower pressure. It is also more versatile with various buttons on the control panel.

Each pressure cooker does certain foods better than the other.

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2019 9:45 AM

I got a Crock-Pot Express instead because at the time it was about half as much and it's virtually the same as the Instant Pot. I use it 2-3 times a week and am always glad to have the option to make a home-cooked dinner quickly when I've been too busy and/or tired for anything time-consuming.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2019 10:03 AM

Name 5 things you pressure cook. I’ll start:

Corned beef

Pot roast

Bean soups

Boiled peanuts

Cabbage

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2019 5:53 PM

Potatoes (for mashing, or in broths)

Clam chowder

Chicken soup

Hard-boiled eggs

Cauliflower/Broccoli

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2019 9:55 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff from "Pressure Luck Cooking" (Get it? GET IT?!?) isn't a member here. He drops lots of double-entendres and way-gay references for the frau crowd. He uses blocks of Boursin cheese and seasoned salt (one or both) in almost all of his recipes. I made this one, and it was so rich, I couldn't finish it.

I love my instant pot. I make pasta dishes, potatoes, and soups. It is AMAZING with chicken (whole or cut-up), pork, and beef. The meat always comes out absolutely delicious and "melt in your mouth" tender.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2019 10:07 PM

For the corned beef, can you cook the cabbage, potatoes, and carrots at the same time? What is the recipe?

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2019 10:16 PM

Pressure Luck Jeff is about as gay it gets. I find him hot.

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2019 10:18 PM

No, r15. Cook the meat for an hour and remove it. Then add the vegetables to the pot and pressure cook for 5 minutes only; cool down quickly.

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2019 10:23 PM

I use it to cook baked potatoes all the time. I have to cook them for about 35 minutes, which seems like a long time, but they come out perfectly. I also use it for hard boiled eggs.

I have a spaghetti and meat sauce recipe that I use it for. It's Ok - generally pasta isn't something I cook in this. I make those packaged soup mixes (Bear Creek brand, etc) and throw a bunch of extra veggies in with them and they cook up very well. Lots of things I would use the slow cooker for, but I can cook in a fraction of the time.

by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2019 10:25 PM

I can’t wait to try it.

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2019 12:20 AM

Makes a mean cheesecake

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2019 12:26 AM

I've been using my grandma's Presto pressure cooker for years. All I had to do was replace the rubber ring in the lid and it works like a charm. It's the easiest, quickest way to cook whole artichokes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2019 3:22 AM

I don’t understand why you would need it to make cheesecake. It’s not any easier than baking it. You still have to mix all the ingredients. And a lot of cheesecakes are no bake anyway.

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2019 5:24 AM

Ewww...boiled peanuts R12? Any good?

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2019 6:04 AM

How else do you eat peanuts if you don’t boil them? Raw? Yuck!

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2019 6:32 AM

Raw peanuts contain cetofrexal and can cause lymph node abnormalities.

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2019 6:38 AM

R25......everything causes something from the beginning of time....

by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2019 7:01 AM

For dim r23:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2019 10:25 AM

R22 uh, no-bake cheesecake really? What are you, a 12 year old girl? The instant pot keeps the water under the cake pain instead of having a leaky cake pan sitting in a Bain Marie.

by Anonymousreply 28April 17, 2019 3:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!