Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Four days in Boston in the summer

Which is a better day trip - Salem, Portland ME or Provincetown?

by Anonymousreply 117August 13, 2019 4:58 PM

Portland for outstanding cuisine

by Anonymousreply 1April 14, 2019 4:35 PM

Provincetown, or really anywhere on Cape Town, should be on the top of your list. Remember that Provincetown is about a two-hour drive from Boston, but traffic can make it a lot longer in the summer. There's a ferry from Boston to Provincetown that takes about 90 minutes. Salem has some mild historical interest, and Portland isn't a bad day trip (again, a couple of hours from Boston), but they can't compare with Provincetown.

by Anonymousreply 2April 14, 2019 4:37 PM

Provincetown is too far, even by boat.

Salem is fun. The witch stuff get's kinda tired though.

I go to Ogunquit. Its a little over an hour from Back Bay.

Its by York and Kennebunk. Lots to do.

by Anonymousreply 3April 14, 2019 4:38 PM

Portland does have outstanding cuisine, but how much are you going to eat in one day?

by Anonymousreply 4April 14, 2019 4:39 PM

There's plenty to see in Salem that has nothing to do with witches - it;s the home of the Peabody Essex Institute, the nation's oldest art museum and has spectacular Federal period architecture.

by Anonymousreply 5April 14, 2019 4:40 PM

If you want to whore it up go to Rock River in southern Vermont. Two and a bit hours but endless fun in the woods.

by Anonymousreply 6April 14, 2019 4:43 PM

I won’t have a car so I can’t go driving anywhere. Id take ferry or train to any of these places.

The round trip ferry to Provincetown is 90 minutes and $100. Worth it? I just keep picturing Wilton Manors, Florida but with pale skin and that dead fish smell.

by Anonymousreply 7April 14, 2019 4:46 PM

Provincetown. Stay overnight so you can really enjoy it. Beach, good men's stores, tea dance. dinner, dancing. Town is so small it is easy to do it all in one day.

by Anonymousreply 8April 14, 2019 4:48 PM

Ptown is expensive but fun if you want a gay experience. Salem is not worth it; don't waste your time. Portland is a much more laid back, quiet experience.

by Anonymousreply 9April 14, 2019 4:48 PM

^^^^ Yes. Stay in an inexpensive , but clean place like The Gifford House or the Provincetown Inn. You will only be there to sleep and shower.

by Anonymousreply 10April 14, 2019 5:05 PM

Agree with everyone, but you HAVE to swing by Salem.

He's waiting...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 14, 2019 5:06 PM

P-town is amazingly fun, especially for the odd mix of New England gay guys and European families mixing so effortlessly. I used to take the ferry, which is expensive, but a fun day when I'd get a rare midweek day off. The only problem is the water can be unswimmably cold--and I like cold water on a hot day. You didn't ask, but Newport is a great day trip too. Lots of sights, walkable, and good food.

by Anonymousreply 12April 14, 2019 5:07 PM

R2 says "Provincetown is about a two-hour drive from Boston, but traffic can make it a lot longer in the summer"

The only time one could drive to Provincetown from Boston in two hours, whether in winter, spring, summer or fall, would be between the hours of 10 pm and 6 am. Granted there are stops and a 30 minute transfer time in Hyannis, but in the winter the bus from Boston to Provincetown is scheduled at 4 hours and 20 minutes

The high-speed ferry is $96 r/t in the summertime.

You won't get laid unless you get lucky at the beach (sand flies, though...) if you go to P-Town for a day trip. If you stay overnight you'll probably get laid but you'll have one less day in Boston and will either have to pay for a hotel room or rely on the kindness of strangers for a place to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 13April 14, 2019 5:20 PM

I'd see if a stop in Newburyport and (right across the state line), Portsmouth, NH is possible. Both are beautifully preserved and Portsmouth has fascinating history and some lovely restaurants. Marblehead and Gloucester are also worth a visit.

by Anonymousreply 14April 14, 2019 10:25 PM

Am I allowed to pile on OP’s thread? I too will be there for four days this summer, just in Cambridge. Would love local recommendations from the coterie of queens.

by Anonymousreply 15April 14, 2019 10:35 PM

I'm in Cambridge. About what?

by Anonymousreply 16April 14, 2019 10:42 PM

Ogunquit sounds like a good option, since it’s closer than Portland, and I would like to see Maine. How does it compare with Provincetown?

by Anonymousreply 17April 14, 2019 10:42 PM

Salem is only fun in the Fall months. It's a dusty tourist trap in summer.

by Anonymousreply 18April 14, 2019 10:46 PM

I'm gonna throw out another suggestion. Rockport. Maybe you've already been. Easy to get to by train. The last stop. Very scenic. Salem is closer by train. It's fun but all the witch stuff is a little hoaky. I loved it but not everyone does

by Anonymousreply 19April 14, 2019 10:47 PM

Feh on Ogunquit! Well, the fugly mudflats beach, anyway. It's far to walk to, even when "near." The gourmet market is middling at best. I don't do nightlife, though, so.... But Perkins Cove, with the lobstering boat excursions, is charming.

Newburyport is okay, for about three gentrified blocks. Portland's wharf attractions are only two blocks square, at best.

Provincetown is funky, colorful, pedestrian-friendly, and mercantile. Plus, you can go on a whale-watching trip from the heart of downtown.

If you had a car, but only a day, I'd suggest Rockport. (GMTA, r19!)

https://www.rockportusa.com/photo-gallery/

by Anonymousreply 20April 14, 2019 10:50 PM

r16 is the nearest gay bar really over by Fenway? where’s your favorite happy hour? any favorite restaurant i really shouldn’t miss?

by Anonymousreply 21April 14, 2019 10:51 PM

I'm from California and really not used to humid weather, but Boston had more humidity than even New York in mid-summer, and I found it pretty unbearable, even though it's a very picturesque and walkable small city. So I would think you would be much happier at a beach town unless humidity doesn't bother you.

by Anonymousreply 22April 14, 2019 10:52 PM

[quote]Boston had more humidity than even New York in mid-summer, and I found it pretty unbearable

that’s cute.

by Anonymousreply 23April 14, 2019 10:53 PM

Just 45 miles south is Providence, RI a city that is circling the drain as I type. See it before it all gets torn down.

by Anonymousreply 24April 14, 2019 10:55 PM

Who remembers this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 14, 2019 10:56 PM

I thought Providence had fairly extensive historic districts and preservation codes? In addition to Brown University and Federal Hill, I think 80% of the downtown is landmarked.

Great little city, or was when I last visited.

by Anonymousreply 26April 14, 2019 10:57 PM

[quote]Boston had more humidity than even New York in mid-summer, and I found it pretty unbearable, even though it's a very picturesque and walkable small city. So I would think you would be much happier at a beach town unless humidity doesn't bother you.

I live in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 27April 14, 2019 10:57 PM

I live in Houston but I used to live in Boston. Boston was worse than Houston summer. The reason is that they don't do air-conditioned properly, so you're exhausted from the continual changes of temperature. Even air-conditioning in large, institutional buildings is off. Then when you get home or to your hotel, the humidity is set too high in the a/c systems for it to provide a cool and restful atmosphere. You will see what I mean. It's totally different from and worse than Florida.

by Anonymousreply 28April 14, 2019 11:02 PM

I love Ptown. Everyone can find a scene that fits him. It’s a even mixture of gays and straights. Very chill vibe.

The food, however, is pretty awful except for a few places. The ice cream is amazing

by Anonymousreply 29April 14, 2019 11:16 PM

R21 Depends on where you are in Cambridge. Paradise (it wasn't), the only gay bar in Cambridge, closed last year so Novartis could build more labs and offices. It lasted as long as it did because the guy who owned the bar owned the building - if he hadn't it'd have closed five years ago.

Ramrod/Machine at 1254 Boylston Street (near Fenway Park and The Fenway, which is a park that's cruisy at night) isn't that far - it's across the river from Area II/MIT. Take the #1 bus to Boylston Street and walk.

If you're in Kendall Square, you'd actually be closer to the Alley Bar which is downtown on Pi Alley close to Quincy Market. You could walk, but I'd take the MBTA Redline from Kendall to Government Center.

If you're staying in Central, Harvard, or Porter Squares, you're too far to walk to any of them. Lots of rent-a-bikes around, though.

The Eagle, Club Cafe, Trophy Room and Cathedral Station are all in the South End, once Boston's gayborhood but furthest from Cambridge. None are exactly convenient to get to or from Cambridge - taxi or Uber.

"Happy Hour" is *still* illegal in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, not just in Boston. Which is not to say something like Happy Hour doesn't happen, but 2 for 1 drinks, for example, don't happen here. If I had to choose between 'em, it'd be the Eagle but it's pretty basic. In fact, the entire Boston gay bar scene is pretty basic: acceptance means integration and orientation no longer means segregation. When I was younger there were 27 gay bars in Boston. Now there are six or seven. The aps and prosperity (aka, "redevelopment") killed 'em. I know that's not much help to an out of towner looking for something or someone to do, but there you are.

Cambridge has too many good restaurants to name 'em all, but I like The Harvest (American, high-end) in Harvard Square, Oleana (Eastern Mediterranean) in Inman Square, Waypoint (fish) in Central Square, Alden and Harlow (American) in Harvard Square, and Benedetto (Italian) in the Charles Hotel in Harvard Square. Mamaleh's is an update on a Jewish deli in Kendall Square which I used to love but it seems to have fallen off over the last six months or so. The burgers at Mr. Bartley's in Harvard Square are great, but it's a tourist trap - there'll be a wait. Tatte Bakery and Cafe in Harvard Square is great for relatively cheap eats, as is Cambridge 1 for pizza and beers.

by Anonymousreply 30April 14, 2019 11:56 PM

Is there anything of old gay Boston left?

by Anonymousreply 31April 15, 2019 12:01 AM

R29-I wouldn't say the food is mostly awful in Provincetown it's mostly AVERAGE. It seems like most places are selling the top of food that the MAGA crowd would like-Hot Dogs, Fried Clams, Pizza , French Fries, Cheeseburgers etc.

by Anonymousreply 32April 15, 2019 12:02 AM

thank you r30. i’ll be there for harvard with some evenings free. most/all of my friends at home are straight so visiting a gay bar would be a legit vacation activity for me. i may just head to sira and wander around in the twilight.

by Anonymousreply 33April 15, 2019 12:05 AM

If you go to Providence, check out Waterfire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 15, 2019 12:12 AM

R33 No you won't unless you first get a doctor to certify you (that's $200 or so) and then wait a month or more to get your ID card ($50 to the state) in the mail from the Cannabis Control Commission. And that won't happen unless you're a resident of Massachusetts. Sorry. Other state's MMJ cards are not accepted.

Sira Naturals (one location on Mass Ave between Harvard and Central Squares and another in Davis Square in nearby Somerville) is a dispensary: MMJ sales only. NETA (stands for New England Treatment Associates) is the closest recreational pot shop to have opened near Boston so far. It's in Brookline Village which is easily accessible on the MBTA Green Line (subway: Harvard Square to Park Street and then change trains) but over and back will mean a two hour r/t.

If you're looking to wander into the night (the stars don't come out at twilight), you could do worse than to wander for a mile or so along the banks of the Charles along the Memorial Dive (parkway on the Cambridge side of the river) between, say, JFK Street (Harvard Kennedy School) and Western Avenue or, put another way, from Riverbend Park to Magazine Beach. If you do, remember that bug spray is your friend.

by Anonymousreply 35April 15, 2019 12:31 AM

Does the Christian Science Center still have its reflecting pool?

by Anonymousreply 36April 15, 2019 1:25 AM

Yes, although I suspect it'll be in shadow and not reflecting much when the new Four Seasons/One Dalton Street building next door is completed.

by Anonymousreply 37April 15, 2019 1:58 AM

I'm trying to remember what was there before r37? I lived across the street, briefly, in the early 90s, in the Greenhouse Apartments. (Small and pricey)

by Anonymousreply 38April 15, 2019 2:05 AM

Nothing - it was a triangular-shaped vacant lot for years. The Pru is on the far right in the photo below, the Sheraton-Boston on the right, and the Back Bay Hilton (not sure it was built then) to the left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 15, 2019 2:20 AM

Thanks r39. And no, the Back Bay Hilton wasn't there then.

by Anonymousreply 40April 15, 2019 2:24 AM

[quote](the stars don't come out at twilight)

thanks for the mansplain.

by Anonymousreply 41April 15, 2019 8:33 AM

There is no comparison between Ptown and Ogonquit, Maine. Ptown is funky, hip, happening, gay destination. Ogonquit is not. It's a decent little town with a tiny gay clientele--don't blink or you';; miss them, with a decent beach, but it's not a happening place. If you lived in New England, yes, make a visit to Ogunquit. But since you only have limited time, don't go to Ogunquit. It's out of the way and in the total opposite direction from where you want to be.

Go to Boston, Ptown or Newport Rhode Island, which is not gay but a nice town. And no need to go to Salem. It's kind of dumpy and not worth the drive. The Salem Witch Museum, no, sweetie, no.

by Anonymousreply 42April 15, 2019 9:13 AM

R25 That 45 page PDF reminds me of the Official Michfest Rules and Regulations

by Anonymousreply 43April 15, 2019 9:49 AM

R25 That 45 page PDF reminds me of the Official Michfest Rules and Regulations

by Anonymousreply 44April 15, 2019 9:49 AM

Is there any small town on the Maine Coast that is like something from Stephen King?

by Anonymousreply 45April 15, 2019 4:17 PM

How is Provincetown during Carnival Week?

by Anonymousreply 46April 17, 2019 1:49 AM

R46 - MOBBED!

by Anonymousreply 47April 17, 2019 1:56 AM

Oy. I have no desire to see anything remotely resembling this. Unfortunately it looks like the week I will be going is the week this thing happens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 17, 2019 2:02 AM

will you be there over a weekend? The commuter rail sells $10 passes, unlimited use. You could go to Providence and Salem and leave after an hour if you don't like it. (You can't take it to ptown though.) Ptown is amazing but it's more bitchy and moneyed/overpriced now than it was 10-15 years ago when it was funky/artsy. Too expensive for that now (kind of like manhattan).

Link shows other places you can go for $10 for the weekend. It's a great deal for tourists. I don't know why they don't publicize it more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 17, 2019 2:26 AM

Thanks but I will be there during the week

Hypothetically I will do one day in Provincetown and one day at the MFA. Which will leave a day and a half to see other things.

by Anonymousreply 50April 17, 2019 2:35 AM

Marblehead and Yarmouth.

by Anonymousreply 51April 17, 2019 2:40 AM

Marblehead is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 52April 17, 2019 3:31 AM

OMG, go to PTown, no question.

Salem is a boor, but it you went, my 4th great grandpa and a cousin have paintings at the Peabody-Essex Museum. Look for them!

Also there, another 4th great grandpa who served on the Friendship and built the ~5 foot model at the link, on the trip from Salem to Batavia and back. Look at the rigging! He later died on a gunboat in NY Harbor during the War of 1812.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 17, 2019 3:50 AM

what restaurants are good in ptown?

by Anonymousreply 54April 17, 2019 3:53 AM

Oh, shit, R54, none of them.

Eat well in Boston. Enjoy the Cape, eat out, but don’t expect “good”.

Btw, despite R13, just don’t drive to PTown at rush hour. Go before 4 pm, or after 7 pm, and it’s a quick 2 hour drive. When returning, leave very early, or after 4 pm. When I did the trip regularly, I prepared for Monday’s workday before the weekend, so I could just jump into bed when I arrived back home, late.

by Anonymousreply 55April 17, 2019 4:04 AM

r55, none of them? not even close? The two places i used to like are gone: Fat Jacks, the throwback Kennedy-era red sauce place, and that south african cafe which i guess has moved to the mid-cape.

Why is the food so mediocre in ptown?

by Anonymousreply 56April 17, 2019 9:59 PM

R56, it’s a once-a-year kind of crowd. They don’t count on repeat customers the way a Boston restaurant might, for example. Also, the staff at most places largely changes every year, too.

I do recommend The Nut House for their scones, though.

by Anonymousreply 57April 18, 2019 2:31 AM

How are the Harvard Art Museums?

by Anonymousreply 58April 18, 2019 2:39 AM

Aside from snooty?

by Anonymousreply 59April 18, 2019 5:21 AM

r58 the recently renovated building complex is impressive, the collection is interesting but not worth going out of your way for. If harvard sq is on your itinerary it's worth stopping in. But if make a special trip just for the museum you might be disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 60April 18, 2019 2:51 PM

Anybody saying that there's no good food in Ptown is lying or eating packaged salads from Stop-n-Shop. There's Jimmy's Hideaway, Ciro&Sal's, Fanizzi's, Mac's on Shankpainter Road, all great. Pepe's has great lobsters rolls and a harbor view, and welcomes dogs. The Squealing Pig has fabulous fried chicken. Even the places the queens eye-roll over --Lobster Pot, Bubala's -- are fun and pretty good. There are "elegant" places too, but why do that in a beach town?

by Anonymousreply 61April 18, 2019 3:09 PM

I personally would like to see Harvard Yard so I will probably check out the museum.

Is there anything worth seeing at MIT?

by Anonymousreply 62April 18, 2019 3:16 PM

There is an MIT museum that's a short walk from the main campus, it's right near the MIT bookstore. On the main MIT campus you can visit the Barker reading room, which is a library under the main dome. you can also go to the Stata center, which is a very cool Gehry building.

by Anonymousreply 63April 18, 2019 3:52 PM

OP, MIT is full of aspie, slouching foreigners with bad hygiene and haircuts. NOTHING to see there. Now, Harvard, Northeastern and BC on the other hand....oh you said summer huh? Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 64April 18, 2019 4:03 PM

[quote] R61: Anybody saying that there's no good food in Ptown is lying or eating packaged salads from Stop-n-Shop.

You forgot that burger joint in Town center, just off the street, on the pier. I’ve forgotten it’s name. Love it for the greasy food. It has or had a whale mural. Is it still there?

I admire you’re enthusiasm, R61, it’s just that I worked there as a waiter, and I also picked up the food in Boston for a restaurant. PTown is a great place to simply BE, in my opinion, but not “dine”.

by Anonymousreply 65April 18, 2019 4:19 PM

R65 Mojo's is what you're thinking of. Now that you mentioned that place, please refrain from offering any opinion on dining LOL -- it isn't "greasy food", it's "foody grease"

by Anonymousreply 66April 18, 2019 4:22 PM

Mojo’s, of course! My God, it’s kept the same name for at least 30 years! Mojo’s at least “meets expectations”, lol.

by Anonymousreply 67April 18, 2019 4:30 PM

I had a short, stout guy approach me at the PTown Stop & Shop when I was getting my salad, [italic] R61, [/italic] a few years ago. He said, “Do you know me?” I thought it was a confrontation. Then I realized it was my restaurant boss who I was fond of, from 30 years before.

I would have hugged him, but he’s Sicilian and straight and, well, queer about that. I paused, then yelled, “John!” Anyway, really nice seeing him. His (now) former wife is a Jewish woman from Brooklyn with all the ethnic (verbal) clues and I loved her too. Oy!

by Anonymousreply 68April 18, 2019 4:39 PM

I saw Norman Mailer, Farrah, and Ryan O’Neill at the Red Inn when they were filming a movie there. They (not Norman) floated across the room in an ethereal way that must have been taught. Is the Red Inn still the go-to restaurant for best-in-show?

by Anonymousreply 69April 18, 2019 4:44 PM

R69

The Red Inn - while the site is outstanding - is over-rated and over-priced.

I wish, at least, they would dial down the attitude, which would make it bearable.

by Anonymousreply 70April 18, 2019 5:04 PM

Norman Mailer used to totter along with his much-younger wife in his later years. One day they passed me crossing the town parking lot, and he was saying, "Well, I'm sorry you didn't have a good time," and she said, "Oh, no, it was fine, I had a good time," in a voice that said, Jesus, when is this old fuck gonna die and leave me his money?

by Anonymousreply 71April 18, 2019 5:05 PM

The Red Inn is beautiful to look at, beautiful to look from (at the sea), and has a great White Party on the lawn in August The cocktails are great, so who cares about the food?

by Anonymousreply 72April 18, 2019 5:08 PM

R72

The White Party is not at the Red Inn. It's held on the lawns of Delft Haven, a condominium association down the block.

by Anonymousreply 73April 18, 2019 5:19 PM

R73 Is that why none of my friends showed up ? Damn, you're right -- and Delft Haven is my dream retirement cottage, btw.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 18, 2019 6:32 PM

OP, comeon-a my house, I’ll give you candy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 18, 2019 8:45 PM

Why is everyone white?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 20, 2019 3:38 PM

Question if I do Provincetown and get there on the 9am morning ferry is there enough to do there to take the 4pm ferry back or should I wait for the 830;pm ferry?

by Anonymousreply 77April 20, 2019 3:52 PM

R76, I don’t see a lot of Black people at the beach. However, I did see a really fat Black, topless Lesbian at Herring Cove 30 years ago and that taught me that Black people get tans, too.

by Anonymousreply 78April 20, 2019 4:24 PM

More diversity on Martha's Vineyard

by Anonymousreply 79April 20, 2019 4:28 PM

OP, if you are only going for four days then I suggest you maximize your fun by spending all of that time in P-town. A day trip to P-town from Boston is a weary day spent mostly traveling and you'll end up seeing just enough of P-town to feel frustrated that you didn't plan for more time there.

The only day trip that makes sense during a 4 day car-less stay in Boston is Salem which is easily accessible from North Station by train to downtown Salem. The best time to visit Salem, however, is October when all the Halloween stuff is happening. Whatever you do I wish you happy trails.

by Anonymousreply 80April 20, 2019 4:31 PM

R80 is right, except I disagree about Salem. I avoid it from Sept 1 until Nov 1 due to the Halloween crowds.

by Anonymousreply 81April 20, 2019 4:47 PM

[quote]A day trip to P-town from Boston is a weary day spent mostly traveling and you'll end up seeing just enough of P-town to feel frustrated that you didn't plan for more time there.

Was this a parody post?

by Anonymousreply 82April 20, 2019 5:23 PM

I would like to combine Back Bay and the South End into one afternoon. Is there anything particular I should see in either? Mostly just looking to enjoy the architecture and street life.

by Anonymousreply 83April 20, 2019 9:35 PM

I don't think so, R82. You'll want to say for more than just a day if you go there.

My suggestion? Take the ferry, stay overnight and have a blast getting home in a rental. Stop by the National Seashore in Chatham, take a swim in warm waters and have a wonderful bowl of fish stew just about anywhere. Finish up in Wood's Hole in Falmouth or Hyannis and take a whale watching cruise or a white shark tour, if that's your thing. Silver Beach in Falmouth was one of my favorite places to play in the waves and I hope it's still as nice as I remember it.

by Anonymousreply 84April 20, 2019 9:46 PM

I live in Florida.

I don’t need to see the ocean.

We have it here.

by Anonymousreply 85April 20, 2019 9:51 PM

I go to Provincetown frequently and don't feel the food is mediocre at all. OK - nothing Michelin rated but abundance of good, fun restaurants. Maybe if you are going to a walk up booth for a hot dog you might say it's mediocre. A lot of places require reservations do I definitely recommend doing that. The Mews is fine dining - always found it to be a treat - ask to be seated upstairs in the bar. It is on the water but the views are rare as the windows are fewer than I would like. We have frequently been to Central House Restaurant at the Crown and Anchor and most of the time have been very happy there - eat on the porch - ask for a table near the railing and watch the fun go buy. It's right next to the club and it is fun to see the youngun's troupe in around 8:30-9:00 for the show. Also - at Central House there is a piano bar that starts nightly at 9:30. Lobster Pot if you want lobster - or any other seafood - no reservations, touristy but a must if you are in P-town. On the water - second floor bar - some decent waterviews. Check out Harbor Lounge for a cocktail with amazing water views. I read great things about The Canteen - supposedly not to miss their lobster roll. Read good things about Baie Bar Restaurant but I have not been there. Never been disappointed in Fanizzi's (ask for the Bay Room) - right on top of the water but this is not in the middle of the action. Always wanted to get to the Red Inn - way at the end of P-town - I believe it has had a renaissance and might be good. We love Patio - outdoor dining - on the street - decent fare. Enjoyed Bubalas by the Sea last summer - again street-side dining. Ciro and Sals - down a path and lower level dining - good food. So many places I haven't been to but have heard good things - Jimmy's Hideaway, Front Street , Pepe's - the list goes on. IMO there is no place like P-town - very accepting mix of everyone and everything. Fun themes each week - but Carnival Week is the most fun.

by Anonymousreply 86April 20, 2019 9:57 PM

And if you want the gay experience - there is the Tea Dance every day 4-7 at the Boatslip - and the beach (both clothed and clothing optional) as well as the dick-dock.

OP - you want to spend more than a day for sure

by Anonymousreply 87April 20, 2019 10:01 PM

In terms of Boston - Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market (touristy), walk over to the North End for a meal (Italian), walk thru Boston Common down Newbury St to Copley Square (high-end shopping available) and circle back down Commonweath Ave and thru Beacon Hill (gorgeous brick architecture).

by Anonymousreply 88April 20, 2019 10:03 PM

North of Boston - Salem is OK - lots of history - but I would rather spend time in Marblehead, Rockport, Newburyport, Gloucestire (Hammond Castle)

by Anonymousreply 89April 20, 2019 10:04 PM

Day 1- Boston, Day 2- ferry to PTown in the morning, stay overnight (look for a place to stay now), Day 3- PTown, then ferry back to Boston, Day 4- Boston.

by Anonymousreply 90April 20, 2019 10:09 PM

I agree R90 - otherwise 4 days is being spread too thin. OP will get to P-town and have immediate regrets he has to leave. Definitely find a place now - especially if 4th of July week or Carnival week

by Anonymousreply 91April 20, 2019 10:11 PM

In Boston’s Back Bay/South End:

Trinity Church in Copley Square.

The Catholic Cathedral in the South End just reopened after they gutted and completely redid the interior.

Towards the end of the day, go get a cup of coffee and dessert on the top of the Prudential building, but before, after 4 pm, there is a dress standard required, IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 92April 20, 2019 10:18 PM

Check out the Provincetown Ma Instagram account for more ideas. Stunning photographs, many posted by artists, tourists posts as well as local businesses.

by Anonymousreply 93April 20, 2019 10:19 PM

R90 has it. If you're a literary sort, take that tour of Salem and then leave.

by Anonymousreply 94April 20, 2019 10:35 PM

R85, do you have whale watches or GWS tours? How about a National Seashore that goes for miles and is free?

I've been to Florida and yes, the ocean is there. So are a million tourists and loads of trash. Cape Cod is pretty neat with loads of history packed into those little towns and Wood's Hole Oceanographic Institute is a great tour, as well.

I also doubt you have fish stew like they make it here, but whatever. If you're heading up to Portland, ME, you're also going to see ocean. Boston is on the ocean, too. Wouldn't you rather go to Indianapolis?

by Anonymousreply 95April 20, 2019 10:38 PM

Don’t forget to get a lobsta while you’re here!

by Anonymousreply 96April 20, 2019 11:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 20, 2019 11:31 PM

The lobster rolls are half the reason to visit the Boston area during the warmer months. In colder months, the chowder.

by Anonymousreply 98April 20, 2019 11:38 PM

And Florida adjacent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99April 20, 2019 11:39 PM

On Sundays in the south end , there is an open market. It's pretty extensive. It's also right next to many artists' studios which are mostly open for the browsing. Fun local stuff around some interesting architecture.

I'd avoid Salem. The Peabody-Essex is a very good museum, but not worth missing the Harvard Museums and the MFA. The Isabella Steward Gardner is a small museum in Boston with a fascinating history. It's also small enough to do in one day. It's just a few blocks from the MFA. Salem creeps me out. It's entire existence is about the "witches," but there were no witches. Innocent people were murdered in the name of religion, but now they have cute witches all over the place.

The Landmark Orchestra has free concerts most Wednesday nights on the Hatch Shell (where the 4th of July Boston Pops Concert is). It's next to the Back Bay and on the river. It's a lovely night out if the weather cooperates.

I live in Boston and usually take the ferry Ptown for a day in the summer. There are TWO ferry companies. Boston Harbor Cruises leave from the Aquarium, which is just off the GreenWay (both worth visiting). Bay State Cruises leaves from near the ICA (Institute for Contemporary Art), also worth visiting. Be aware that Bay State Cruises has fast ferries and not so fast ferries. The not fast ferry ("Traditional ferry") takes more than three hours. Boston Harbor Cruises usually has a one day 1/2 price sale on groupon if you can keep track of that. It's usually in May.

Have fun!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 21, 2019 12:13 AM

Thank you R100 that is very useful information.

I would like to see the Gardner but if I am already going to the Harvard Museums and the MFA I think I can afford to miss that one.

So far my plan is Day 1: Downtown/Beacon Hill/Common; Day 2: Harvard/Back Bay/South End; Day 3: Provincetown; Day 4: MFA

by Anonymousreply 101April 21, 2019 11:30 AM

The Gardner museum is next to the MFA and more fun.

by Anonymousreply 102April 21, 2019 6:48 PM

on your way to Portland stop in at Ogunquit ME; Barnacle Billy's great lobster and bbq chicken

by Anonymousreply 103April 21, 2019 6:58 PM

Boston is my kinda town

by Anonymousreply 104May 25, 2019 12:50 AM

I'm still amazed that anyone thinks you can drive from Boston to Provincetown in two hours in summer. Can't be done, and anyone who says so hasn't seen our traffic patterns lately

This area is a shithole in summer, and overrun with foreign tourists to boot. Wait until the fall to experience our most glorious season!

by Anonymousreply 105May 25, 2019 2:45 AM

R105, push the pedal down, gramps! It’s a reliable 2 hour and 10 minute drive for me. It’s surprisingly consistent. But, I drive fast and I don’t go at rush hour.

by Anonymousreply 106May 25, 2019 12:39 PM

OP, I recommend you visit the North End’s Old North Church. That’s where the lanterns were hung to signal Paul Revere. Sit through the 20-minute lecture about the Church’s history. It’s brief enough to end before becoming boring. If they have finished with the planned refurbishments of the cellar crypts, and you’re feeling ghoulish, as I often do, pay the $5 fee and take a walk through. In crypt #4 is Robert Lash, a participant in the Boston Tea Party. Even the Church doesn’t know he’s there, the dummies. He is “tombmates” with my 3rd & 4th great grands, and about 25 others.

Up the street, there is Copps Hill Burial Ground. It’s a smallish cemetery and one of Boston’s oldest. It has those spooky headstones like you see at the Haunted House at Disney World, but they’re real. It is peaceful and open to the public. My 10th Great Grandmother is buried there. She immigrated in 1638, so she must have been a tough ol’ broad. Died age 83!

Fun fact, in the 19th century, Boston decided to “tidy-up” it’s ancient burial grounds, where people were originally buried hodgepodge. They moved many of the headstones around, to make them more orderly, so as a result, any given individual is not necessarily buried directly beneath the grave marker on the surface that bears their name.

by Anonymousreply 107May 25, 2019 1:08 PM

OP, if you don't spend the night in Provincetown, you're going to miss one of the main reasons to love Ptown: the dick dock.

by Anonymousreply 108June 1, 2019 10:22 PM

R105 so you need a wall To keep those pesky foreigners out of the town!

by Anonymousreply 109June 1, 2019 10:25 PM

Which is better for half a day - the JFK Library, ICA, the Aquarium or Museum of Science?

by Anonymousreply 110June 16, 2019 12:48 PM

OP, make sure you go to the Arlington Street church in Back Bay, which has amazing Tiffany windows. And the Boston Public Gardens, right near there, is the most beautiful park I have seen in the US.

by Anonymousreply 111June 16, 2019 6:35 PM

I enjoy cocktails at Strangers and Saints in PTown ....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112June 16, 2019 9:03 PM

My trip is next week! Any last minute recommendations?

My day will be

first day: downtown crossing, boston common & public garden, & beacon hill

day two: MFA, then evening open, maybe South End

day three: Provincetown

day four: open, but would like to do Back Bay walkaround in the morning, Copley Place & Public Library in the afternoon, and MFA in evening if I have missed anything.

by Anonymousreply 113August 13, 2019 2:32 PM

Take a ride on the swan boats, OP...enjoy your trip.

And look for Richardson Farms ice cream, you'll be in heaven.

by Anonymousreply 114August 13, 2019 2:54 PM

First day, depending on when you start and what you see, you could be done with that itinerary in 3-4 hours. Downtown Crossing is death - I was there yesterday and you didn't come to Boston to see Macy's or Marshall's or Primark, hopefully. Faneuil Hall Marketplace (nearby) is wrapped and under reconstruction - not sure what is/isn't open. The Boston Public Market, relatively new, is also nearby - great food hall.

No idea what days you're here, but S/S/M/T the MFA closes at 5 pm. Open until 10 pm W/T/F and free on Wednesdays after 4 pm. Otherwise $25.

The South End is largely residential. A couple (depending on how widely one defines the area) of gay bars, so, yes, better at night but also relatively slow on weeknights.

If you go to the Boston Public Library, check out the John Singer Sargent murals inside the Copley Square entrance and the map collection upstairs. Maloch is my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 13, 2019 2:59 PM

Downtown crossing I will simply be in that area because that is near South Station where the free bus from Logan drops you off. I have nothing particular I need to see in the area, other than Brattles, but I have time to kill until I can check in to my airbnb.

by Anonymousreply 116August 13, 2019 4:20 PM

Leaving for 9 days in Ptown on Thursday! Can’t wait. I started going there because they brought me in to DJ at the Crown & Anchor during carnival week. 6 years later it’s turned into a group trip with my husband and our friends. If you’re in Ptown during Carnival Week, I’m spinning Tuesday night at the nightclub inside the Crown & Anchor! Come say hi. It gets pretty packed in there. As for the food... we have never had a bad meal at Ross’ Grill, Jimmy’s Hideaway, Front Street, Crown & Anchor, Fanizzi’s and Red Inn. Lots of places to have a good meal in Ptown!

by Anonymousreply 117August 13, 2019 4:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!