Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Will K-pop ever make it in the U.S.?

It hasn't so far.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2019 2:37 AM

I hope not. It's music slavery. The performers are "products" that age out and disappear. Everything they do is programmed and produced to the nanosecond. Robotic and chilling.

by Anonymousreply 1April 14, 2019 2:24 PM

It's the same with most child/teen performers.

by Anonymousreply 2April 14, 2019 2:28 PM

Language barrier.

by Anonymousreply 3April 14, 2019 2:54 PM

They’re just Asian Menudo.

by Anonymousreply 4April 14, 2019 3:46 PM

K-Pop is already popular with schoolkids.

by Anonymousreply 5April 14, 2019 4:02 PM

It did.....for a few months.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 14, 2019 4:33 PM

There was an attempt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 14, 2019 5:47 PM

haha. NO.

by Anonymousreply 8April 14, 2019 5:49 PM

Apparently K-pop just made its debut on SNL with BTS. Sounds like American music to me, The singers don't even have an accent I can hear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 14, 2019 6:43 PM

It's too faceless and derivative to truly become a cultural phenomenon over here. I tried listening to some of it since there was so much hype in online blogs, etc, but all I see and hear is a competent, but conveyor belt copy of North American pop, performed by interchangeable bands, factory designed to appeal to young Asian girls. There isn't even anything particularly "exotic" or Korean about it. Why bother with this if you have the template already in place i.e. disposable American pop music.

by Anonymousreply 10April 14, 2019 6:50 PM

My Asian co-worker cannot even tell them apart. The Koreans have too much plastic surgery and all go for similar look.

by Anonymousreply 11April 14, 2019 6:50 PM

This is not music, it is trash.

by Anonymousreply 12April 14, 2019 6:51 PM

Girly boys. They look like they were made in a laboratory by a mad bisexual pedophile.

by Anonymousreply 13April 14, 2019 7:28 PM

Chinese k-popper ‘Victoria’ Song Qian of f(x) makes my heart pound, she’s so gorgeous. I want her to slap me and spit in my mouth.

She’s a classically-trained dancer out of the world-acclaimed Beijing Academy of Dance, so she’s really too good for pop-choreo but she’s beautiful and charismatic so praise be.

Some of the women in other vintage k-pop bands are talented in other areas (I used to have a crush on former model Nana of AFTER-SCHOOL because of her moves) they don’t have Vic’s cool beauty and shine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 14, 2019 8:55 PM

I'm surprised Lee Hyori didn't give it a shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 14, 2019 9:08 PM

These bitches probably all look like shit without make up. I remember the videos online...the before and after were horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 16April 14, 2019 10:05 PM

The most talented beautiful idols keep mysteriously dying. There's been a wave of deaths over the last few years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 14, 2019 10:34 PM

And I'm sure a lot of them were suicides.

by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2019 4:56 AM

R14 Nana was a member of Orange Caramel. I like their outfits in the following video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 15, 2019 5:43 AM

One or two of them probably will. Just a matter of time. But as a music phenom I doubt it. Even euro music doesn't except for a few and far between breakthroughs.

by Anonymousreply 20April 15, 2019 10:21 AM

R14/R19 Nana is an attention-getting dancer and she has amazing bone-structure plus endless legs. She’s one of those idols who should have broken out.

Nana totally stole the show in that notorious pole video AfterSchool did for their song ‘Cheossarang’ (‘First Love’).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 15, 2019 4:21 PM

Lot of pandering to BTS by American popstars rn. Is this gonna be the new normal?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 15, 2019 11:42 PM

ET Canada: BTS Is The First Band Since The Beatles To Have Three Billboard No. 1 Albums In One Year

K-Pop group BTS is soaring to new heights.

The band that has taken the world by storm has just reached another milestone as the first group since the Beatles to have three No. 1 albums on the Billboard 200 album chart in one year...

“Before BTS, the last traditional group...to log three leaders within such a quick span was the Beatles in 1995-96, when the band’s archival releases ‘Anthology 1,’ ‘Anthology 2’ and ‘Anthology 3’ all debuted at No. 1 in a stretch of 11 months and a week,” Billboard said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2019 2:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!