Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why were so many of the Actors on The Cosby Show incapable of being funny?

Phylicia Rashad, Lisa Bonet, Sabrina Lebeauf, Joseph C. Phillips... not to mention the various jazz-playing grandparents....

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2019 3:41 PM

Because Bill Cosby wasnt funny and he needed to make sure that no one would outshine him, which would not have taken much.

by Anonymousreply 1April 14, 2019 5:41 AM

it was never about humor. it was a serious attempt to show an upper middle class successful black family that was highly educated, conservative in values, and just as preppy as white yuppies.

by Anonymousreply 2April 14, 2019 7:46 AM

Rashad could be funny.

"I'm not angry. I'm MAD."

by Anonymousreply 3April 14, 2019 7:52 AM

Echoing what R2 said, I just wanted to say that they remind me of white upper class yuppies. I’ve never known any to be funny.

by Anonymousreply 4April 14, 2019 7:52 AM

I would guess r1's answer is partially correct too.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2019 4:24 AM

Lisa Bonet was funny in that episode where she made a terrible shirt for Theo.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2019 4:42 AM

I never watched this deadly dull and self-congratulatory show. Most black families were huge fans, but I think it was the joy of representation rather than the quality of the laughs.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2019 5:27 AM

Fucking hated this show. It was as horrible as M*A*S*H*. As unfunny too.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2019 5:32 AM

Great show, great atmosphere, great outer facade of the house; they had Placido Domingo in it as a series guest star playing a role, not himself, the third greatest classical singer in history, and maybe the greatest Heldentenor ever, I know, I know, this is not an argument in any way against OP. Good intro, the song was partially composed by Bill Cosby, I found him a good dancer as well, and good mover. Didn't find him unfunny. It was very successful here in Germany, and bad US sitcoms did not have it easy here, and German, Austrian and Swiss television did not let in bad Hollywood shows easily.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2019 3:30 PM

Plus they had paintings done by black artists. Don't forget that.

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2019 3:32 PM

Joseph C. Phillips is a deplorable Republican against same sex marriage and affirmative action. It was weird seeing him show up on 13 Reasons Why as one of the parents.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2019 3:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!