Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

9 Year-Old Syrian Refugee Commits Suicide After Being Bullied

Syrian refugee family’s hopes for a better life in Canada were shattered after the death of a nine-year-old girl who died by suicide.

What a sad story

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2019 8:12 PM

I thought Canada was supposed to be some sort of paradise where the government strews fresh rose petals on immigrant doorsteps each morning?

by Anonymousreply 1April 14, 2019 1:36 AM

Lol, R1

by Anonymousreply 2April 14, 2019 1:37 AM

We basically do that, R1.

Also, we have a SHIT TON of muslim kids, I don't understand why she would have been bullied.

Did the parents do something to cause her to die?

by Anonymousreply 3April 14, 2019 1:38 AM

How did this child kill herself? I have a 9-year old and I don’t think she’d have any understanding of how to kill herself. I’m sorry for that poor girl, but there’s something weird going on here.

It reminds me of a story about a boy who killed himself and there was a lot of fuckery going on in his home. His parents were truly insane.

And why do little girls have to cover their heads? Because their sexy hair will tempt men to sin? That’s the message.

by Anonymousreply 4April 14, 2019 1:40 AM

[quote] , I don't understand why she would have been bullied.

The family is living in Alberta, HELLO?!

by Anonymousreply 5April 14, 2019 1:40 AM

This is a very sad story. I feel like I’ve read about kids committing suicide at younger and younger ages lately (8–10 year olds)—and it’s always allegedly due to “bullying”.

How do they even know *how* to kill themselves that young? And why are they considering it so strongly as an option when they’re that little? It seems so young to get an idea like that into their heads....

Is this all due to little kids having internet and cell phone access??

by Anonymousreply 6April 14, 2019 1:41 AM

Canadians, in general, are nice people. The ones from the middle are ok and very friendly but conservative. The Quebec ones are assholes. The biggest assholes of all of them are the white rich British Columbian snowbirds. They are an awful experience all the time, sickening and entitled.

by Anonymousreply 7April 14, 2019 1:41 AM

Calgary is a major city.

This DID NOT HAPPEN.

Also, why the photo of the girl NORMAL and then a photo of the girl in SLAVE GEAR (muslim attire for a female)?

What did her family do to her?

by Anonymousreply 8April 14, 2019 1:42 AM

[quote] The biggest assholes of all of them are the white rich British Columbian snowbirds

A.k.a. my grandparents.

by Anonymousreply 9April 14, 2019 1:44 AM

I’m relieved to see I’m not the only one who finds this story stinks.

I wonder how much the family will sue the school district for. (Or is this a particularly American train of thought?)

by Anonymousreply 10April 14, 2019 1:45 AM

Where is DL compassion?

by Anonymousreply 11April 14, 2019 1:46 AM

This is very sad but she's a refugee from a war zone; could something else be responsible for it? These are traumatized children from war torn countries who have witnessed some horrific things. .

by Anonymousreply 12April 14, 2019 1:46 AM

Did the Prime Minister cry about this?

by Anonymousreply 13April 14, 2019 1:46 AM

[quote] How do they even know *how* to kill themselves that young?

They watch mommy pop pills and drink booze.

by Anonymousreply 14April 14, 2019 1:51 AM

R12, I think you’re right.

And what’s this about refugees not knowing about all the services available? How can that be? Don’t the providers have connections to the immigration services and community outreach? I have a feeling they are offered and not accepted, the majority of the time. You mean we have to learn English? no thank you.

by Anonymousreply 15April 14, 2019 1:53 AM

[quote]The family is living in Alberta, HELLO?!

Calgary's mayor since 2010 has been Naheed Nenshi, the first Muslim mayor of a major North American city. Cf. beloved non-bullies Rob and Doug Ford in Ontario.

by Anonymousreply 16April 14, 2019 1:57 AM

[quote] Calgary's mayor since 2010 has been Naheed Nenshi, the first Muslim mayor of a major North American city

And do you know how much be gets bullied online?

by Anonymousreply 17April 14, 2019 1:58 AM

And re-elected.

by Anonymousreply 18April 14, 2019 2:00 AM

[quote] And re-elected.

Only because he got out the Youth vote -

by Anonymousreply 19April 14, 2019 2:01 AM

[quote] Also, we have a SHIT TON of muslim kids, I don't understand why she would have been bullied.

Because kids bully other kids. That's what they do. And they always target meek and sensitive kids.

by Anonymousreply 20April 14, 2019 2:02 AM

Despite what happened to this child, I think it's deplorable how the world is treating these refugees or immigrants or Illegals. Put yourself in someone's place; it's called "empathy". It's not their fault they were born in shithole country. And then they get asylum somewhere and get abused by the locals. Or caged.

by Anonymousreply 21April 14, 2019 2:03 AM

[quote]And do you know how much be gets bullied online?

Key words : "9 YEAR OLD"

by Anonymousreply 22April 14, 2019 2:03 AM

I.e. she isn't online.

by Anonymousreply 23April 14, 2019 2:03 AM

R23 they just bullied her to her face in the playground

by Anonymousreply 24April 14, 2019 2:04 AM

[quote][R23] they just bullied her to her face in the playground

9 Year olds, cry, they don't "kill themselves" like Jon Benet.

by Anonymousreply 25April 14, 2019 2:06 AM

I didn't read the article, but it could be that she was just bullied, no necessarily because she was a refugee. I've read many news stories lately (granted, all of those stories were from the US) of very young children killing themselves due to bullying.

by Anonymousreply 26April 14, 2019 2:07 AM

R25 read R26

by Anonymousreply 27April 14, 2019 2:07 AM

Poor baby. She would have been a beautiful woman.Perhaps she saw the way her mother and her mothers friends were forced to be chattel ,even in a modern western city,and decided to opt out. 9 year olds in this day and age arent like 30 years ago.They are way smarter than you think thanks to the internet.

by Anonymousreply 28April 14, 2019 2:09 AM

R28 how can you be so cruel at a time like this

by Anonymousreply 29April 14, 2019 2:11 AM

sorry, I have so much trouble believing this child killed herself. It’s possible, I guess, if she had some sort of PTSD from her home country.

She must have had a terrible life outside of school. I know kids who get bullied but they have friends outside of school or they have a family support or interests that keep them going. She didn’t have any little friends who also wore the head coverings? She couldn’t have been the only one.

by Anonymousreply 30April 14, 2019 11:12 AM

I don't buy this story for a second. Rare for nine-year olds to know how to suicide, and Muslims are treated with kid gloves in Canada by 99.99% of the populace.

What is not rare is for middle eastern parents to be hard on their kids, especially girls. If the kid did manage to kill herself, the "bullying" was likely far closer to home.

by Anonymousreply 31April 14, 2019 3:02 PM

[quote]What is not rare is for middle eastern parents to be hard on their kids, especially girls. If the kid did manage to kill herself, the "bullying" was likely far closer to home.

This. And I'm betting it was "suicide by parents".

by Anonymousreply 32April 14, 2019 3:06 PM

There was a 9yo kid in my grade school who committed suicide in 1980, a 12yo former student of mine who also committed suicide in 1999, and the young brother of a former classmate shot himself when he was 11 in 2002.

This isn't new, sadly. I don't know why people think little kids don't know what suicide is, they see it on the news, TV and internet.

by Anonymousreply 33April 14, 2019 3:07 PM

This is very sad.

by Anonymousreply 34April 14, 2019 3:10 PM

I can’t ever remember kids of 9 killing themselves. What a disgusting world we live in.

by Anonymousreply 35April 14, 2019 3:11 PM

I am reminded of this girl, whio live-streamed her suicide.

At 12, and certainly at 9, children don't have a clear understanding of death's permanence. One suicide researcher posits that most suicides engage in magical thinking about their deaths. I imagine this is especially true of children.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 14, 2019 3:14 PM

I find this story troubling whether you think she actually killed herself or whether you think something more nefarious has been perpetrated.

by Anonymousreply 37April 14, 2019 3:26 PM

Look at her face in OP’s picture. Obviously one of those evil mozzies the alt-right and Zionists are always warning us about!

by Anonymousreply 38April 14, 2019 3:30 PM

When shit like this happens (Westernized Muslim family holding down daughter, stuffing plastic bag in her mouth and suffocating her to death - all for wearing a short-sleeved shirt), I'm going to remain skeptical about any story claiming 9 year old girl from a recently migrated Muslim family "committed suicide"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 15, 2019 3:30 AM

Unbelievably sad story. Poor little kid.

by Anonymousreply 40April 15, 2019 3:44 AM

Suicide rates for kids in the US are climbing. I know the story is from Canada, but after reading the story I started googling suicide rates. Kids as young as 5 have killed themselves. This article says more boys die by suicide but more girls attemp it. This is so sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 15, 2019 3:46 AM

[quote]Suicide rates for kids in the US are climbing. I know the story is from Canada, but after reading the story I started googling suicide rates. Kids as young as 5 have killed themselves. This article says more boys die by suicide but more girls attemp it. This is so sad.

Not that we'd ever be able to tell, but I wonder whether this correlates to children not to learn coping mechanisms and ways to deal with conflict and disappointment (all anecdotal, as well).

Look, I'm not in favor of maliciously going around and making 5 year olds cry, but when you systematically make the world all roses and sunshine, when it's not, it must truly feel like the world is ending and there is no hope - made even worse because you haven't learned to deal with those emotions never having experienced them.

Unintended consequences - they are always in the equation, even if you don't factor them into your decisions.

Are we raising children who are so lacking in resilience because they fundamentally lack any experience from which they need to rebound that they simply can't cope?

by Anonymousreply 42April 15, 2019 3:56 AM

[quote] Not that we'd ever be able to tell, but I wonder whether this correlates to children not to learn coping mechanisms and ways to deal with conflict and disappointment

Yes. That is exactly what we have done. We have wrongly taught them that everyone wins all the time. And if they don't then someone else is to blame. We have failed to let them fail and learn and grow from that invaluable experience. And sadly I think we have done this in service to our own narcissism rather than in service to our children.

Our ONE job with our children is to teach them how to cope and mature with life and all its ups and downs. That is the best and maybe only way they can learn independence and to become their own fulfilled selves.

Our children are not about ourselves and in too many ways we have lost the ability to make things NOT about ourselves.

Excuse me I have to go take a selfie.

by Anonymousreply 43April 15, 2019 4:31 PM

Actually, r42/43, the increase in suicide among children seems more likely a result of access to information via the internet.

There is also some evidence social media has ruinous effects on girls' mental health.

by Anonymousreply 44April 15, 2019 4:34 PM

I was bullied for years as a kid (as I'm sure many gay kids were) in PA in the 80s and 90s, just for having an ethnic name and being dark, until my school intervened and shut it down. I was scarred by this abuse for a long time, and horribly depressed for years after. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been if it be layered with the PTSD these refugees doubtlessly suffer

You redditards infesting this thread disbelieving this, blaming the family, or mocking the situation are monsters.

by Anonymousreply 45April 15, 2019 4:42 PM

Dollars to donuts the girl had an unsupportive, hellish home life and her parents are pushing the "she was bullied" narrative to take the heat off of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 46April 15, 2019 9:13 PM

R46, that’s what I’m saying.

And this brings to mind the Hart women who pulled their kids out of school because they were “bullied” there. They “homeschooled”. Actually, they didn’t want mandated reporters asking why the kids were malnourished and flinching and fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 47April 15, 2019 9:32 PM

Here’s a story about a 10-year old boy who was found hanging. He was bullied and his parents are threatening to sue the school.

While I do believe he was teased at school, I think his home life was torture and his mother had Munchhausens. Very odd story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 15, 2019 9:36 PM

I’m an elementary teacher. There is a big push with children’s mental health in our school board. I’m older (over 50) and don’t quite understand what kids have to be anxious about today. I feel a lot of their problems are created from playing videos games so much and being exposed to the internet. Kids aren’t resilient either.

by Anonymousreply 49April 15, 2019 9:51 PM

R49, bless you for doing the hardest work. I’m a parent and it is my opinion that everything is pathologized nowadays. So a kid who’s got a little anxiety or draws vampires is sent to the counselor and therapy is recommended and there are meetings and groups and it’s a big deal about self-esteem — and the kicker is that it’s not helping anyone. The kids feel like freaks and fuckups and sometimes they lean into it and it’s their excuse not to do things. “I cant get out of bed today. I’m having a depressed day.” MEANWHILE the kids who really need help don’t get it.

Don’t get me started.

by Anonymousreply 50April 15, 2019 9:58 PM

I didn’t know Canada was THAT bad...

by Anonymousreply 51April 15, 2019 11:03 PM

R48, the kids name was Seven? Were they Seinfeld fans?

From the article

[quote] Her family has set up a GoFundMe page with a $60,000 goal to assist with funeral expenses, lost wages and legal aid.

The kid just died and they immediately hold a press conference.

by Anonymousreply 52April 16, 2019 7:14 PM

R52, yes. I’m convinced he was another Gypsy Blancharde but he turned his destruction inward and not outward. Sorry to take it off-topic, but that story was waving crazy red flags. The first was that he had had 26 surgeries and they could never fix the problem. Also the mom is a huge attention whore and local character and considered a saint. Sound familiar?

by Anonymousreply 53April 16, 2019 8:10 PM

Thanks, R53. It does seem fishy. But then I doubt everything.

by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2019 8:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!