Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Coachella

It really looks like a magnet for douchebags. Has anyone been?

by Anonymousreply 24210 hours ago

Yes, it is huge magnet of wealthy hipster trash of the East coast variety; vulgar and yet so soft, the West coast just stupid and soft. They descend on PS resorts around me, flouncing around buying everything in the Ralphs while defecating in the parking lots. The fact that this festival of opulence and flat out fuck greed exists while a war has been going on for hoe many years is a testament to the younger generation and their supposed caring for the future. Also the guy that puts it on is a conservative fucktard.

by Anonymousreply 104/13/2019

Today's live stream just went live

by Anonymousreply 204/13/2019

I don't get Coachella at all. It's filling up my Instagram. All the pseudo celebs i.e.. reality show stars, models, influencers etc... are all there. The women are dressed in either slutty attire or costume like garments. The "celeb' women even get their make-up professionally done. I mean it's an outdoor concert! The men are all hipstered up too.

by Anonymousreply 304/13/2019

It is owned by an antigay right winger and yet these supposed progressives still go.

by Anonymousreply 404/13/2019

Yes, went for 7 years in the 2000s until it became a huge corporate cash grab, catering to the lowest common denominator. Jumped the shark in 2008 when Prince and Roger Waters headlined. After that, they realized people were willing to drop coin just for the privilege and cachě of being able to say the went to Coachella, so there was no reason to pay millions of dollars for a headliner. Turned into a fashion show swarmed by various corporations pumping their brands.

Early days Coachella was a lot more about the music with headliners like Bjork, no top 40 artists. People were bitching about Madonna being given a 45 minute set in the smaller (circa 2006) Sahara dance tent, saying she's too pop and doesn't belong at Coachella. Those same people would have had a coronary if they had known Beyonce would headline 12 years later. It would have been unthinkable to even consider artists like that back then.

by Anonymousreply 504/13/2019

At least twice Rivers Cuomo said it may be the last time Weezer is invited back to Coachella. Though not as old as David Byrne who performed last year, their music is tired especially with the last cd filled with covers. It was like watching a Weezer tribute band tonight.

Jambinai was great. They're like a Korean version of Sigur Rós. I also enjoyed Mac DeMarco, Childish Gambino, J. Balvin and I'm listening to Tame Impala now who sound incredible.

by Anonymousreply 604/13/2019

Not giving Aphex Twin a proper headline in favor of that italian hoe Ariana Grande this year is just disgraceful. People may complain that Coachella was being mysoginistic and whatnot but Bjork was a proper female headliner for an allegedly alternative festival. Lady Gaga, Beyoncé and Ariana Grande are hardly real musicians.

by Anonymousreply 7Last Sunday at 12:57 AM

Weezer?

From 1995?

by Anonymousreply 8Last Sunday at 12:59 AM

I loved Rosalia, her flamenco meets hip hop vibe was great. Calypso Rose gave a great performance and she's 79 years old! I watch for the music and this year felt more international with the Kpop girls too.

by Anonymousreply 9Last Sunday at 1:00 AM

Once you get the guys "mellowed out," lots of nice cut cock.

by Anonymousreply 10Last Sunday at 1:44 AM

And the Oscar for douchebags goes to...

by Anonymousreply 11Last Sunday at 4:58 AM

And the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills attended only to be "trolled" by people saying they were too old to be there. Ha!

by Anonymousreply 12Last Sunday at 5:12 AM

Do people camp out like Burning Man, or do they just come for the day?

by Anonymousreply 13Last Sunday at 5:22 AM

it.s like woodstock but like totes betta

by Anonymousreply 14Last Sunday at 5:23 AM

WHat's with the gay guy and bandanas? So not stylish.

by Anonymousreply 15Last Sunday at 5:37 AM

The seething envy is thick as the rotund waistlines

by Anonymousreply 16Last Sunday at 6:20 AM

There is camping.

by Anonymousreply 17Last Sunday at 6:24 AM

No one wants to be around when Coachella hits so lots of people rent their homes out.

by Anonymousreply 18Last Sunday at 6:42 AM

Isn't it also called crotch-ella?

by Anonymousreply 19Last Sunday at 7:19 AM

Squad:

by Anonymousreply 20Last Sunday at 7:29 AM

R13, not everyone went for the whole weekend, back in the day, so the accommodation situation varied. It used to be a two day festival for which you could buy single day passes, then it became a three day festival (still allowing single day passes). 2010 is when they made it mandatory to buy a pass for all 3 days, so you had to buy the 3 day wristband.

A lot of the younger people would camp with a large group because camping passes were super cheap, but older people, wanting the creature comforts, would stay in one of the many local hotels or motels and drive in (which itself was a traffic nightmare). I would always stay in palm springs and drive in or take the Coachella shuttle.

by Anonymousreply 21Last Sunday at 7:46 AM

Also, they've amped up the camping options, so you have regular ghetto camping all the way up to super luxurious camping available.

by Anonymousreply 22Last Sunday at 7:48 AM

I just discovered Tame Impala last night. They put on a gorgeous, dreamy set last night. YouTube is streaming next weekend, too, so make sure you catch them on the livestream next Saturday night.

Kevin Parker, the Australian frontman of the group, has the sexiest speaking voice. It's so smooth and chill.

by Anonymousreply 23Last Sunday at 8:04 AM

Beyonce's Netflix documentary about her historic Coachella performance premieres this week.

I'm not a big Beyonce fan, but this documentary looks amazing.

by Anonymousreply 24Last Sunday at 8:09 AM

Better, worse, or just as bad as Burning Man?

by Anonymousreply 25Last Sunday at 8:16 AM

My friend got selfies with Kyle Richards and her husband Mauricio.

by Anonymousreply 26Last Sunday at 8:35 AM

Was not a fan previously but Childish Gambino put on a powerful set on Friday. Tame Impalla was insane.

Couchella next weekend with your Easter candy or edibles. The Youtube stream is free. :)

by Anonymousreply 27Last Sunday at 8:35 AM

Douchebags? Yes. Cindy Crawford's DUI kid, Presley Gerber, has arrived.

by Anonymousreply 28Last Sunday at 8:39 AM

Where do people go for anonymous sex?

by Anonymousreply 29Last Sunday at 8:53 AM

Brother Kellyanne Kanye is bring the love of Jesus to Coachella Easter Sunday.

He is so wise.

by Anonymousreply 30Last Sunday at 8:56 AM

Is the fashion always this terrible?

by Anonymousreply 31Last Sunday at 9:01 AM

Lots of forced fun. Gay anon sex in the Tack Room restrooms. Ick factor to see 35-40 and up with hipster doofus hats hiding a chrome dome.

by Anonymousreply 32Last Sunday at 9:04 AM

I see some Fire Islanders in those IG pictures and they're all pushing 40.

by Anonymousreply 33Last Sunday at 9:33 AM

Kanye West's Easter Sunday service should be fascinating. It happens next Sunday morning at 9am PT. I think YouTube is live-streaming it. The entire Kardashian/Jenner clan will be there, including Caitlyn Jenner.

by Anonymousreply 34Last Sunday at 9:46 AM

Stop it

by Anonymousreply 35Last Sunday at 10:22 AM

Kanye's Sunday Services are like the Gospel Brunch Oprah held during her Legends celebration. Gospel music - in Kayne's case, Gospel reimagining of his songs, some motivational speaking, etc.

by Anonymousreply 36Last Sunday at 10:26 AM

Tame Impala were amazing!

The music industry is in a really good place right now. Thanks to Drake, Ariana Grande and Post Malone, the music industry is making the most money they've made for the past 14 years. Record labels are making more than they have in decades. I haven't seen so many people into music like this in a long, long time.

You see that enthusiasm reflected at Coachella.

by Anonymousreply 37Last Sunday at 10:28 AM

[Quote] The music industry is in a really good place right now.

It is??

by Anonymousreply 38Last Sunday at 10:29 AM

Can't compare it to burning man. One is a music festival with in-out privileges, the other is a multi-day commitment in the middle of nowhere desert landscape. Sometimes Coachella will have sculptures on display that were originally built for the burning man playa, however.

by Anonymousreply 39Last Sunday at 10:31 AM

A sea of entitled cunts. Insufferable. And many of them are WAY too old to still be doing this shit.

by Anonymousreply 40Last Sunday at 10:33 AM

Is it mandatory to dress tacky?

by Anonymousreply 41Last Sunday at 11:13 AM

r37 Unfortunately, music is in a terrible place.

by Anonymousreply 42Last Sunday at 11:19 AM

More or less r41. It is de rigeur to have a weirdo hipster outfit of some kind when at Chella.

by Anonymousreply 43Last Sunday at 11:20 AM

R352: I find it funny because i was reading an article on a spanish paper and all the comments were the exactly opposite, all they care was about Weezer

by Anonymousreply 44Last Sunday at 11:24 AM

I agree that music is in a bad place, it's made shitty and generic for the stupid masses. Post Malone is supposed to be good? He wasn't even hip hop to start out with, the industry made him change to fit what is popular with the masses, it's all a complete farce.

by Anonymousreply 45Last Sunday at 11:44 AM

What was Malone to begin with?

by Anonymousreply 46Last Sunday at 11:45 AM

R5 pretty much nailed it. It used to be a festival for people actually into music but that was years ago now. It has long become a place for yuppie scenesters to pretend to be music hipsters.

It's funny people still call Coachella hipster, hipsters hate Coachella.

by Anonymousreply 47Last Sunday at 11:48 AM

I love this doctor in Reelz. The crowd at cowchilla is young, hipster and upper middle class. Chowchilla is near a womans’s prison.

by Anonymousreply 48Last Sunday at 11:49 AM

r46 Some weird emo shit.

by Anonymousreply 49Last Sunday at 11:50 AM

I assumed Post was always a rapper but per his Wiki entry he was in a heavy metal band, then segued into soft rock then hip hop.

I like Post and I thought people slagged his Coachella performance unfairly only because he was the act before Beyoncé and everyone was hating on him because they just wanted him off the stage. But I can see him going into more southern rock or folk like Uncle Kracker or Everlast.

by Anonymousreply 50Last Sunday at 11:51 AM

"I didn't say fucking Yee!"

by Anonymousreply 51Last Sunday at 11:56 AM

DLers who have been to both --> please compare and contrast Coachella and Bonnaroo.

by Anonymousreply 52Last Sunday at 11:58 AM

[quote] I just discovered Tame Impala last night. They put on a gorgeous, dreamy set last night.

[quote] Tame Impala were amazing! The music industry is in a really good place right now

Tame Impala is a great psychedelic band (perfect for outdoor festivals), but they haven’t released a new album since 2015 (4 YEARS ago). I discovered them in 2015 at Austin City Limits festival. They also played at London’s All Points East fest last year. They released a few new tracks but nothing freshly epic in the last almost half a decade. Unfortunately, it seems they are creatively stuck or out of ideas.

[quote] It’s fair that Tame Impala might not want to flood their set with new songs but [bold]delivering mostly the same set as every summer for the past 4 years feels a little like you’re being short-changed[/bold].

by Anonymousreply 53Last Sunday at 12:26 PM

by Anonymousreply 54Last Sunday at 12:28 PM

It looks empty, dry and dull

by Anonymousreply 55Last Sunday at 12:49 PM

When did he get so hot? He looks amazing.

by Anonymousreply 56Last Sunday at 1:43 PM

Music hasn't been about music for a very long time...

by Anonymousreply 57Last Sunday at 1:51 PM

McDonalds has their own booth?

by Anonymousreply 58Last Sunday at 1:55 PM

Jaden Smith performed yesterday

by Anonymousreply 59Last Sunday at 1:56 PM

J. Balvin's stage set was incredible last night.

by Anonymousreply 60Last Sunday at 2:02 PM

There's always Hipster Girl Hat Bingo to play at Coachella...................

by Anonymousreply 61Last Sunday at 3:07 PM

"I luuuuuuuuuuv McDonald fries, with ice cream, I'm so random!!!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 62Last Sunday at 3:12 PM

never heard a song by or watched at all anything starring of...beyonce

she bores me to tears.

by Anonymousreply 63Last Sunday at 3:47 PM

I'm discovering so many great artists thanks to the Coachella live stream. Artists that I've never heard of before, or even thought I'd be in to. That's the beauty of music festivals.

Mansionair just finished their set and I'm now a fan. I watch them again next weekend. Some of the people in the audience were high as a kite.

by Anonymousreply 64Last Sunday at 4:00 PM

R64 You know other streaming and radio stations provide a better and regular opportunity to discover new music?

by Anonymousreply 65Last Sunday at 5:54 PM

Same, R64. I am on the east coast and was not all that familiar with either but I stayed up for Childish Gambino and Tame Impala and really enjoyed both. Blood Orange, on now, is good too. I even enjoyed Kacey Musgrave, and Billie Ellish, which surprised me.

Highly recommend Couchellaing it next weekend. Will defo have some mimosas ready for the whole Yeezus thing next weekend. Kanye has been working with various gospel choirs and session musicians and it has potential to be very entertaining, one way or another.

The live stream can be rewound by pulling it to the left. Seems like the prior day can be viewed up to the stream starting the next day, then it can go back to the beginning of the day that is currently streaming.

by Anonymousreply 66Last Sunday at 6:02 PM

[quote]Billie Ellish

I enjoyed her performance. I'm listening to Dermot Kennedy right now. He's pretty good. He reminds me of Paolo Nutini a bit.

by Anonymousreply 67Last Sunday at 6:07 PM

It's handy that all the douchebags (male and female) flock there. We could eliminate them all at once and raise the average IQ in the country by 20+ points.

by Anonymousreply 68Last Sunday at 6:14 PM

I do not think Billie Ellish turns 18 until late this year. Her confidence and self possession are remarkable. She was in an amazing slot, had her set delayed and disrupted due to tech difficulties and more than held her own.

I even liked The Wallows who reminded me a bit of the very young Arctic Monkeys when they first played at Glasto as teens.

The live stream has been so fun on a rainy weekend and like someone posted, I have really enjoyed watching bands I knew nothing about. Sure hope Kanye will be on the stream.

by Anonymousreply 69Last Sunday at 6:19 PM

The person who surprised me the most was Wiz Khalifa of all people. I've never heard any of his music before, other than "See You Again" with Charlie Puth. He puts on a damn good show. I think he's a good starting point for people who don't care for rap all that much.

Catch him next Saturday if you can.

by Anonymousreply 70Last Sunday at 6:27 PM

They just announced that Kanye's Sunday Service is being live-streamed on YouTube on Easter morning.

by Anonymousreply 71Last Sunday at 6:34 PM

Zedd looks so damn hot tonight.

by Anonymousreply 72Last Sunday at 6:54 PM

OMG! Ariana Grande's crowd will be over 200,000 tonight.

by Anonymousreply 73Last Sunday at 7:01 PM

I want to be Zedd, it looks really fun!

Can believe that for Ariana, Childish Gambino kept talking about 100k.

by Anonymousreply 74Last Sunday at 7:05 PM

Zedd just brought out Katy Perry.

Her career could use some revitalizing, lol.

by Anonymousreply 75Last Sunday at 7:05 PM

Erm, maybe Zedd should have brought out Halsey.

Katy Perry said she has been doing Coachella for 17 years, um, way to emphasize your age, Katy. And you cannot dance.

She should grow her hair out, her career has tanked ever since she went for the hard/Pink look. It does not go with her bubblegummy music. How long is she gonna do the fauxmance with Orlando?

by Anonymousreply 76Last Sunday at 7:13 PM

Variety says of Billie Eilish:

[quote]Rock isn’t dead at Coachella, a vast amount of evidence to the contrary notwithstanding. It was alive and well in a performance by Billie Eilish that pushed every rock ‘n’ roll button except the one that demands there be an electric guitar on stage.

Does anyone under 50 even know what rock is anymore? It would seem not.

by Anonymousreply 77Last Sunday at 7:16 PM

Eilish is so wiggerish — that always mortifies me so.

by Anonymousreply 78Last Sunday at 7:17 PM

So EDM is like a DJ with karaoke by the audience with lots of visuals and everyone on E?

I had thought it would be more like a rave but with so many people packed in, it is kind of a bounce and wave your arms thing.

Zedd has played songs by Whitney and now Queen, so it is not just his work? Pays really well though.

by Anonymousreply 79Last Sunday at 7:24 PM

Zedd, lemme taste that ass

by Anonymousreply 80Last Sunday at 7:38 PM

The attendance cap at Coachella is 126K people, so they're not even allowed to let anywhere near 200K people at the venue.

by Anonymousreply 81Last Sunday at 7:38 PM

Posers obsessed with letting others know how much fun they're having?

Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 82Last Sunday at 7:39 PM

The career of Khalid continues to mystify me, I must admit.

by Anonymousreply 83Last Sunday at 7:41 PM

Yeah, the bands are great, but it seems like overkill with the poseurs.

by Anonymousreply 84Last Sunday at 7:43 PM

Zedd is a good dude.

He worked with Kesha after the Dr Luke accusation when nobody else would speak up for her or work with her out of fear. This was like a year before Taylor Swift wrote the 200k check

by Anonymousreply 85Last Sunday at 7:45 PM

Nice to know, thanks, R85.

by Anonymousreply 86Last Sunday at 7:47 PM

Katy Perry playing at Coachella 17 years?!? Which years is she claiming she played? I'm not seeing her listed in a single lineup going all the way back to 1999.

by Anonymousreply 87Last Sunday at 7:48 PM

I think she meant attended, she grew up in the area so likely started going as a teen? So, she is pushing mid-30s kinda hard.

by Anonymousreply 88Last Sunday at 7:52 PM

More re: Zedd and Kesha.

by Anonymousreply 89Last Sunday at 7:52 PM

Gesaffelstein is streaming now. He's a darker EDM guy who works a lot with The Weeknd.

by Anonymousreply 90Last Sunday at 7:54 PM

Yeah, I am watching that too. I listened to the Spotify Coachella playlist when it first dropped and kinda discovered him then. Really like it. I used to listen to a lot of Front 242 back in the day and it reminds me of that.

by Anonymousreply 91Last Sunday at 8:00 PM

SO IF THE OWNERS ARE ANTI GAY THEN WHY ARE SO MANY GAYS SHOWING UP? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 92Last Sunday at 8:01 PM

The music, I think, R92?

I am just streaming for free so am not giving them a dime.

by Anonymousreply 93Last Sunday at 8:03 PM

For the same reason so many gays eat Chik-Fil-A

by Anonymousreply 94Last Sunday at 8:03 PM

@LosFelizDaycare

PLEASE let us know if your toddler will be at Coachella this weekend and make sure to specify if they're performing, making an appearance as an influencer or just attending with an Artist Pass.

by Anonymousreply 95Last Sunday at 8:04 PM

THEY'RE FUCKTARDS, R94?

by Anonymousreply 96Last Sunday at 8:04 PM

R93, I don’t think you understand how the internet works. You also probably don’t think Facebook makes any money off of you either.

by Anonymousreply 97Last Sunday at 8:09 PM

Anyone else watch Guava?

Shirtless Glover is easy on the eyes. Rhianna has a charm as an actress that I did not expect. Cuba is lovely and sad.

by Anonymousreply 98Last Sunday at 8:09 PM

Man last year I said to myself "Please let this be the last time 43 year old Leo sits down in the dirty field with a bunch of kids getting fucked up at Coachella."

Cue this year and 44 year old Leo is there again!

by Anonymousreply 99Last Sunday at 8:11 PM

R89 That's a great look for Kesha.

by Anonymousreply 100Last Sunday at 8:12 PM

Yikes, Leo is even older than Katy Perry! Are we supposed to think he is young since he is bearding with a 21 year old?

Coachella is supposed to have some really good drugs.

Burning Man seems like more of an old geezer thing, but it is farther and more of a commitment.

by Anonymousreply 101Last Sunday at 8:18 PM

I see that Beyonce is releasing a documentary of her Coachella show last year.

by Anonymousreply 102Last Sunday at 8:22 PM

Are she and Jay still in a lot of debt?

by Anonymousreply 103Last Sunday at 8:25 PM

R92 FOR THE GRAM, DUH

by Anonymousreply 104Last Sunday at 8:34 PM

How does Coachella work? Like stream 3 seems weaker than the steam 1. Do you have to buy tickets to certain stages or you go where you want?

by Anonymousreply 105Last Sunday at 8:35 PM

The rainbow towers off the main stage are so cool.

by Anonymousreply 106Last Sunday at 8:36 PM

It's about being seen these days, not about the music. I'd rather go to SXSW, at least everyone isn't dressing like douchebags

by Anonymousreply 107Last Sunday at 8:38 PM

R105, it's a music festival. You pay about $350 for GA pass. You walk from one stage to another based on your music preferences.

by Anonymousreply 108Last Sunday at 8:41 PM

[quote]How does Coachella work? Like stream 3 seems weaker than the steam 1. Do you have to buy tickets to certain stages or you go where you want?

You buy passes to the fest and go wherever you want. The set times/stages are posted a day or so before Coachella so you decide where you want to go.

by Anonymousreply 109Last Sunday at 8:41 PM

Passes are $450 and they sell out fast. The first weekend this year sold out in 30 minutes. So you have to plan ahead if you want to attend.

by Anonymousreply 110Last Sunday at 8:43 PM

A person Dicaprio's age going to Coachella is just embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 111Last Sunday at 8:51 PM

OMG GUYS

by Anonymousreply 112Last Sunday at 8:52 PM

Chella in a nutshell

by Anonymousreply 113Last Sunday at 8:53 PM

[quote]What was Malone to begin with?

Pre Menstrual

by Anonymousreply 114Last Sunday at 8:53 PM

I haven't been since 2012, passes were about $300 back then.

by Anonymousreply 115Last Sunday at 8:53 PM

When did it go from being an actual music festival to douchebags in indian headdress photoshoots?

by Anonymousreply 116Last Sunday at 8:55 PM

I thought I saw Aunt Becky's daughters in the background of one of the interviews.

by Anonymousreply 117Last Sunday at 8:55 PM

Justin Bieber just now spotted in the audience looking high as a kite.

by Anonymousreply 118Last Sunday at 9:01 PM

Wow at R113. That's a whole other level. I've seen these Instagram influencers getting their hair and make-up professionally done and thought that was crazy. The wardrobes on the women and men is over the top.

by Anonymousreply 119Last Sunday at 9:01 PM

Glad he is having fun, R118. I expected to hear he was sobbing.

H.E.R. is only slightly older than Billie Ellish, these kids have balls these days.

by Anonymousreply 120Last Sunday at 9:02 PM

Remember when Justin got thrown out even though Drake had invited him? Hope he has a better night. Marriage to the Baldwins does not seem to be agreeing with him.

NSYNC are supposed to be special guests of Ariana. Cannot stand any of them and am gonna turn in on the East Coast. Seems like there are more tech issues, it is gonna run really late.

Happy Couchella to all next weekend!

by Anonymousreply 121Last Sunday at 9:05 PM

R116, that started happening around 2008-2009. My friends went to the first Coachella in 1999 and it was only $100 for both days (it was just a two day event back then). Bare bones compared to today. You walked in and they handed you a free bottle of water. No fashion show, no flower crowns, or any of that other pseudo-hippie gear.

by Anonymousreply 122Last Sunday at 9:05 PM

When did Instagram start? Bet it happened around then.

You can still hear some great music tho, just ignore the rest.

by Anonymousreply 123Last Sunday at 9:12 PM

What sets would you recommend hearing? I've only seen Rosalía and Aphex Twin.

by Anonymousreply 124Last Sunday at 9:30 PM

Parcel, an Australian band that has a sound like Daft Punk, were great.

by Anonymousreply 125Last Sunday at 9:46 PM

N'Sync (minus JT) with Ariana Grande was weird.

by Anonymousreply 126Last Sunday at 10:06 PM

It was so lame and FAT, r126.

by Anonymousreply 127Last Sunday at 10:07 PM

Why am I behind? No *NSYNC yet from what I'm watching.

by Anonymousreply 128Last Sunday at 10:09 PM

Ariana's set so far is really boring. She's killing the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 129Last Sunday at 10:10 PM

[quote]Why am I behind? No *NSYNC yet from what I'm watching.

Are you watching Stream 1 with Ariana Grande? Or have you been pausing your stream? When I paused mine it paused the performance despite being live so I refreshed and it picked up where the performance really was.

by Anonymousreply 130Last Sunday at 10:16 PM

People on social media are saying Ariana's stage background is the Illumi Sign.

by Anonymousreply 131Last Sunday at 10:22 PM

Nicki Minaj with Ariana is an absolute MESS! Ariana said in her mic "we can't hear anything." MESS!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 132Last Sunday at 10:25 PM

They need to talk about Nicki's mic being messed up and how it screwed her up making them both look crazy.

People can hate Beyoncé for whatever reason but she beat the brakes off of Coachella last year. She set the bar high with her performance.

by Anonymousreply 133Last Sunday at 10:25 PM

SYNC(no Justin) were awesome, they sounded great and it was lovely that Ariana is such a fan she made it happen.

by Anonymousreply 134Last Sunday at 10:28 PM

I thought it was a convention where they got together and sold and traded purses.

by Anonymousreply 135Last Sunday at 10:32 PM

[Quote] SYNC(no Justin) were awesome, they sounded great and it was lovely that Ariana is such a fan she made it happen.

Now it makes sense why she had that little riff from Makes Me Ill on that silly breakup song.

by Anonymousreply 136Last Sunday at 10:35 PM

Ariana Grande and N'SYNC playing at Coachella is a skit on SNL that writes itself.

by Anonymousreply 137Last Sunday at 10:55 PM

I prefer it when Ariana belts out a song instead of doing that breathy simpering.

by Anonymousreply 138Last Sunday at 11:03 PM

No dedication to Mac from Ariana?

by Anonymousreply 139Last Sunday at 11:15 PM

Why is Leo and that girl walking around confused, back and forth, like they lost something in R99?

by Anonymousreply 140Last Monday at 12:16 AM

The Hell R48? I think that autopsy doctor is hot too...but why post that here?

by Anonymousreply 141Last Monday at 1:22 AM

These older gals from Australia are there. You know Coachella has jumped the shark when the D-grade celebrity WAGS have arrived.

by Anonymousreply 142Last Monday at 1:39 AM

R129 she’s a terrible performer.

by Anonymousreply 143Last Monday at 1:50 AM

Passes are $450? When will Bernie get involved to make it free for everyone?

by Anonymousreply 144Last Monday at 2:23 AM

Do DLers even know what Bonnaroo is?

by Anonymousreply 145Last Monday at 3:32 AM

It seems like a gathering where Hollywood celebrities can go and display their real selves, the low class trashy people they are when they're not putting on a "look at me I'm so classy" act for the cameras.

by Anonymousreply 146Last Monday at 3:44 AM

Seems like the best place to score douchebag hot cut Jock dick.

by Anonymousreply 147Last Monday at 4:27 AM

There were a lot of sound & tech issues all weekend. Before Billie Ellish and H.E.R. were some of the most glaring. Nikki had plenty of company.

I cannot understand the career of Ariana. She was recently in my city and much of the audience was elementary school kids and their parents, according to a co-worker her took her 8 year old son. But, the rumor was she was a replacement, either for Timberlake or for Kanye when they pulled out.

by Anonymousreply 148Last Monday at 4:33 AM

Gesaffelstein was really good.

by Anonymousreply 149Last Monday at 4:40 AM

What’s with the ultra-quirk act names these days? Childish Gambino. Tame Impala. Parcel.

by Anonymousreply 150Last Monday at 4:42 AM

Like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, R150?

by Anonymousreply 151Last Monday at 6:08 AM

@vanessafranko

So Ariana Grande did NOT allow our professional photographers to capture her #Coachella set. When this happens, I have Terrible Stick Figure drawings like a courtroom artist, terrible because I can’t draw. Here’s the first from #Arichella

by Anonymousreply 152Last Monday at 6:29 AM

Weekend 1 is when all the Instagram whores, Youtubers, trust fund, Greek life and celebrity kids go.

Weekend 2 is more of DL people. Though I do imagine it would be fairly easy to get it in with DL faves either weekend.

by Anonymousreply 153Last Monday at 7:00 AM

R152 lol of course there's a donut joke.

by Anonymousreply 154Last Monday at 7:46 AM

R149, their song Blast off, with Pharrell is really good.

by Anonymousreply 155Last Monday at 7:52 AM

I just can't with the Woodstock cosplay

by Anonymousreply 156Last Monday at 9:47 AM

Joel Kinnaman, Kylie Richards and Leo have gotten some shit for attending. I will thrown in Chris Appleton because he's nearly 40 and if people cared, he would be mentioned too.

by Anonymousreply 157Last Monday at 10:12 AM

So many ways to hate them. So little time to chose among them.

by Anonymousreply 158Last Monday at 10:34 AM

A friend of a friend went there this year. She is an influencer and had her own make-up team and hairstylist with her there. I find it ridiculous. I saw plenty of outfits posts on Instagram and barely anything about the bands or music. Does anyone there even care?

And has Glastonbury turned into a social media influencers/hipsters paradise as well?

by Anonymousreply 159Last Monday at 1:02 PM

This was such a moment!

by Anonymousreply 160Last Monday at 1:12 PM

I follow an English presenter and she just came out and said it's not as much fun as it used to be -- while she was there and wearing clothing with marketing partners and so on.

Refreshing honesty, maybe, but it's just as likely to be that British way of shitting on everything American.

by Anonymousreply 161Last Monday at 1:12 PM

R160 get lost deluded ariantor, she sucks

by Anonymousreply 162Last Monday at 1:18 PM

a moment of shit. that bitch can't sing.

by Anonymousreply 163Last Monday at 1:19 PM

Why couldn't this shit pile have caught fire instead of Notre Dame

by Anonymousreply 164Last Monday at 1:20 PM

R163 or perform or dance or not be an uninteresting airhead

by Anonymousreply 165Last Monday at 1:20 PM

The blackpink girls were the only interesting show this year, Ariana show was boring, Billie is overrated but Jaden Smith was the worst.

by Anonymousreply 166Last Monday at 1:40 PM

I would have liked to have seen Kid Cudi. I caught some of this rap group, YG or something like that, and it was just embarrassing. Really terrible.

by Anonymousreply 167Last Monday at 1:56 PM

Kid Cudi's set was okay. I'm not a big fan of his music, but lots of people are obsessed with him.

I want to catch Rosalia next week on the livestream. I caught the tail end of her set on Friday and she was refreshing. She deserves to have Cardi b's career, tbh. She's a lot more talented.

by Anonymousreply 168Last Monday at 2:10 PM

I love Kid Cudi! I’m guessing he will probably show up at Kanye’s Sunday Service

by Anonymousreply 169Last Monday at 2:29 PM

Is Weyes Blood even performing? She just released the record of the year.

by Anonymousreply 170Last Monday at 2:30 PM

The coachella brown suede ankle boot trend must die.

by Anonymousreply 171Last Monday at 3:17 PM

Jumped the shark 10 years ago. Believe me, you are missing nothing. You will derive FAR more pleasure watching the free livestream from the air conditioned comfort of your own home. This is coming from a multi-year Coachella veteran who stopped going years ago after it became abundantly clear that the event had become a giant marketing platform and attendees were fee paying suckers. Don't be a sucker.

by Anonymousreply 172Last Monday at 3:22 PM

PSA: You can re-wind the live stream to see anything you missed until the stream stream starts for the next day, then you can re-wind it to the first act for that day. Just pull to the left. Free on Youtube, everyone Couchella! :)

by Anonymousreply 173Last Monday at 3:36 PM

What's with the age Nazis in this thread? I assume most live events are geared towards a younger crowd, but if older people have the desire and energy to attend, why not?

by Anonymousreply 174Last Monday at 4:18 PM

R173, Cudi is nowhere to be found. I think he performed Friday, so maybe that's why.

by Anonymousreply 175Last Monday at 4:24 PM

Yep, his set could be watched up until the stream started on Saturday. Will be the same for Weekend 2. The Sunday performances should be up until the Fri stream starts. Kanye/Yeezus will also be streamed on Sunday morning, Easter Sunday, no less.

by Anonymousreply 176Last Monday at 4:48 PM

I went a few times and it was fantastic. Fucked a few horny guys. Mmm

by Anonymousreply 177Last Monday at 4:56 PM

r177 how incredibly easy was it to bag Insta gays and wannabe reality stars?

by Anonymousreply 178Last Monday at 6:55 PM

Hmmm...interesting how people boycott Chick-fil-A for homophobia but not Coachella.

by Anonymousreply 179Last Monday at 10:50 PM

15 years ago they would have given Kate Bush her own wing of the festival to HEADLINE or paid out the rear to get the Smiths to reunite. Maybe now at best we get Will Smith and his offspring. Hell I’d even settle for the Offspring at this point. Now the Sultan of Brunei can probably buy the entire venue out for the right price :(. Might as well have those banjo playing hillbillies from Deliverance play next year cause the show has been raped of all of its dignity and originality. Corporate cash cows like Clear Channel and I ❤️ Radio might as well put it out of it’s misery and cut off whatever’s left of the balls this manufactured, generic top 40 pop, puke parade once had.

by Anonymousreply 180Last Tuesday at 1:38 AM

r145 FU!!Lol

I'm a junior eldergay shut-in, and I've heard of Bonnaroo.

Legendary performance---RIP Bernie.

by Anonymousreply 181Last Tuesday at 9:35 AM

It sounds like it could be fun.

by Anonymousreply 182Last Tuesday at 11:27 AM

Why did they give Kacey Musgraves such an early time slot? At least she got the main stage. Loved her giant mirrorball.

by Anonymousreply 183Last Tuesday at 12:27 PM

"People were bitching about Madonna being given a 45 minute set in the smaller (circa 2006) Sahara dance tent, saying she's too pop and doesn't belong at Coachella."

This is the one - and only - time I've gone to Coachella. I was somewhere around my mid 20's. Living in LA. My friend and I went to see Madonna, and it was the worst "set" or show I've ever seen. Couldn't see a thing in a packed clausterphobic tent, everyone tripping out, she was way late - apparently flew in on a helicopter and sang 3 songs, basically no good songs, and left. Ended up enjoying Scissor Sisters a lot more. But it wasn't my thing even then. Taking pills, boiling hot, uncomfortable and etc. If I didn't dig it then, I can't imagine being in the crowd its become now and I don't really care for the musicians anyway.

by Anonymousreply 184Last Tuesday at 12:34 PM

I know people who went years ago and they said the heat is brutal. They also said everybody stinks because of it. It's nothing but the stench of B.O. everywhere. Think of that the next time you look at the picture of all the people in their Coachella outfits.

by Anonymousreply 185Last Tuesday at 5:46 PM

Place sucks. music in today general sucks, Hasn't been decent in close to 20 years. Everybody goes so they can post the shit on social media and think they're fucking important. r37 works in the industry because he sounds like a promoter at a dying business.

by Anonymousreply 186Last Tuesday at 5:58 PM

R186, The music industry just had its best year in 13 years. It's doing better than ever.

by Anonymousreply 187Last Tuesday at 6:18 PM

Sales wise i guess it’s doing ok, I don’t pay much attention (thank you Spotify and torre.....NEVERMIND!!!!!) As far as quality, 20 years of terrible music?? Really? If you’re in SoCal and love the Coachella or yesteryear go to the IDLES and Fontaines DC show coming up in May and tell me if you feel any different. There’s still some incredible stuff out there and just because you’re older doesn’t mean you have to be out of the loop. Iggy Pop and Rodney Bingenheimer aren’t spring chickens and they’re out there promoting sensational new music like Falseheads and Shame and the Beths etc.

by Anonymousreply 188Last Tuesday at 6:42 PM

With the shift to streaming, who is making any money? Not the artists, except by touring and merch and smaller bands often lose money. Who exactly is doing better?

by Anonymousreply 189Last Tuesday at 7:31 PM

Well, execpt for Ari and Scooter, they are doing fine!

by Anonymousreply 190Last Tuesday at 7:33 PM

All of Ariana Grande's songs sound the same. Generic Auto-Tuned music for pole dancers.

by Anonymousreply 191Last Tuesday at 7:37 PM

Isn't Ariana constantly touring? I don't see how she would pull people in.

by Anonymousreply 192Last Tuesday at 7:42 PM

@R189 - Coachella has been live streaming on YouTube for NINE YEARS now!

by Anonymousreply 193Last Tuesday at 7:46 PM

^ Friday Weekend 1 is when the "Best New Artists" are scheduled to perform:

Coachella Friday 2019 - Weekend 1: SG Lewis, Jauz, Gorgon City, Nona Kravitz, Nona en Pure, Rufus du Sol

Coachella Saturday 2019 - Weekend 2: Bob Moses, CloZee, Tame Impala . . .

by Anonymousreply 194Last Tuesday at 7:52 PM

By shift to streaming, I meant Spotify. I imagine you have heard of it?

by Anonymousreply 195Last Tuesday at 7:58 PM

Who exactly, is doing so well? The money is going somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 196Last Tuesday at 7:59 PM

Spotify

by Anonymousreply 197Last Tuesday at 8:01 PM

R197, That article is from 2016. Record companies have learned how to profit with streaming and are now making more money than ever. The profit made from the global sales of Drake, Ariana Grande and BTS in 2018 hadn't been seen since 2006, which was before iTunes was introduced, and long before streaming was a thing. That shows how much interest there is in music right now. I think a lot of it has to do with Trump. People want to escape the negativity and music is the best way to do that.

by Anonymousreply 198Last Tuesday at 8:25 PM

RS agrees with you that some people are making $, R198. Seems harder and harder for those farther down the food chain though. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/how-musicians-make-money-or-dont-at-all-in-2018-706745/

Agree that music can be an escape. Ticket prices have gone up a great deal, although some bands make it a point to keep them affordable. Merchandise seems to be a big source of income for many and paid meet and greets are a thing.

by Anonymousreply 199Last Tuesday at 8:30 PM

The reality seems more like this

by Anonymousreply 200Last Tuesday at 8:31 PM

Tamaryn might has well have sold shoes with her always gazing at them ;)

by Anonymousreply 201Last Tuesday at 8:37 PM

Oops, link for R199

by Anonymousreply 202Last Tuesday at 8:37 PM

[quote]A person Dicaprio's age going to Coachella is just embarrassing.

But it's how he recruits new girlfriends.

by Anonymousreply 203Last Tuesday at 8:40 PM

Nah, his manager hires them. Part of the deal is likely things like Coachella, to boost their own brand. He looks a bit ridiculous but the drugs are said to be good.

by Anonymousreply 204Last Tuesday at 8:48 PM

Why not just take a performer home with you Leo? You know he’s counting down the days til Billie Eilish turns 18 ;) Might be a demotion for him with her never having walked the runway in angel wings.

by Anonymousreply 205Last Tuesday at 8:52 PM

The internet was supposed to bring a new era of endless possibilities and creative liberty for musicians , freeing them from the claws of the evil music industry but instead it has fucked them even more.

How fucking sad.

by Anonymousreply 206Last Tuesday at 8:55 PM

R206, yep. Justin Beiber comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 207Last Tuesday at 8:57 PM

It really has, many call it an expensive hobby that costs them, rather than makes them money. In the early days of MySpace could not have seen this. And the Algorithms are driving and narrowing tastes to an astonishing degree as music press is also shrinking.

by Anonymousreply 208Last Tuesday at 8:58 PM

R5 - Loved your post. That was my Coachella period as well. It's inevitable that, as we age, we lament that things aren't what they used to be, but those earlier days of Coachella WERE different and I'm really glad I got to go 4 or 5 times before it morphed into the scene that it is today. The fact that Coachella now nearly instantly sells out before the lineup is even announced should tell you what you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 209Last Tuesday at 9:03 PM

This is Coachella in 2019

by Anonymousreply 210Last Tuesday at 9:10 PM

Weekend 1, yeah. But Weekend 2 is different.

The array and diversity of acts is unusual for a festival. Even the livestream has been a treat. I have discovered quite a few artists I had never heard of. Some I have enjoyed streaming, some I have even mentioned to friends. I sent one a NYT piece on Blood Orange. Super interesting guy with a voice like vintage velvet. I may even catch some of the new favs live shows in my city, it is peak touring season coming up.

This week in between, many acts are just hanging in CA and they are doing promo and late night tv and small shows if you live in the area. It is easy to be too cool for school and trash whatever younger people are into, but it can still be about the music, even from the East Coast. Even with all the tech issues there were some powerful performances.

Would still love to make it to Glasto one year, but this has been a lot of fun.

Happy Couchella Weekend 2 everyone!

by Anonymousreply 211Last Tuesday at 10:17 PM

Damn, I remember when KROQ (local LA rock station) advertised this event as some cheap, dusty, grubby concert in the desert for like $50. Boy, has it changed its image since then!

by Anonymousreply 212Last Tuesday at 10:30 PM

R211, I loved Blood Orange. Definitely a stand out for me and I would've never discovered them were it not for the Coachella live stream so it's hard to hate on the festival as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 213Last Tuesday at 10:36 PM

Coachella is gentrification in music festival form.

by Anonymousreply 214Last Tuesday at 10:41 PM

Lots of creeps and corruption for sure in fact Leo seems so insecure I wouldn’t be surprised if he pushed for the press to get that politician all over the media to take the heat off of him and his creepy ways. He knows how to pull strings. Probably takes notes from Charlie Sheen cause they both seem untouchable in Hollywood’s eyes. Charlie of course has daddy with his good reputation always bailing him out, but once the ol’ man dies, watch out #MeToo movement. Leo is as fake as the new tits he paid for his 19 year old supermodel girlfriend to get. But he’s an award winning actor so he knows how to win over gullible, naive, feeble minded girls over with what he’s so great at, his acting skills. He doesn’t have a sincere bone in his body. He’d be Chris Hansen’s bitch if he never made it big in Hollywood. If 22 is the OLDEST he’ll go imagine how old his youngest conquests have been. If Radio Disney hosts their own concert I would watch my daughters like a hawk around him.

by Anonymousreply 215Last Wednesday at 1:20 PM

Count me in as another new Blood Orange fan. I'd never heard of them before watching the livestream last weekend. They were refreshing. That's the beauty of these festivals, as they introduce you to so much new music. I found myself even enjoying some of the rap artists.

by Anonymousreply 216Last Wednesday at 3:10 PM

[Quote] Probably takes notes from Charlie Sheen cause they both seem untouchable in Hollywood’s eyes. Charlie of course has daddy with his good reputation always bailing him out, but once the ol’ man dies, watch out #MeToo movement.

Charlie's untouchable? Who's his daddy?

by Anonymousreply 217Last Wednesday at 4:04 PM

[QUOTE]Charlie's untouchable? Who's his daddy?

Beloved former president Josiah Bartlet.

by Anonymousreply 218Last Wednesday at 6:32 PM

I LUV ME SOME COACHELLA!

The YouTube Livestream RULES!

(Don't like it? Cry louder.)

by Anonymousreply 219Last Wednesday at 6:41 PM

There was a lengthy profile of Dev from Blood Orange in the NYT magazine not long ago. Interesting guy.

Looking forward to the livestream for Weekend 2, I will admit.

by Anonymousreply 220Last Wednesday at 6:53 PM

r215 Leo is not actually fucking any of those girls.

by Anonymousreply 221Last Wednesday at 8:34 PM

Seems like a nice party for the young folks

by Anonymousreply 222Last Thursday at 12:59 AM

Americans are suckers for paying those prices Primavera Sound has the same cool, of the moment line up for half the price. The event organizers even manage to set up some smaller satellite shows around Barcelona for those that cannot afford a ticket to the main thing.

Ceremonia Festival had many of the acts that performed at Coachella for just 60 dollars.

by Anonymousreply 223Last Thursday at 2:20 AM

lord have mercy Kanye, mr and mrs bey, etc of that ilk.... make me puke my guts out

by Anonymousreply 224Last Thursday at 2:26 AM

R168 Rosalía is so stellar onstage, a formidable drop of talent in a sea of mediocrity.

R180 That asshole from Coachella talking about how he didn't ask Kate Bush to perform because the crowd wouldn't get it when in the first place he would need to jump through hoops to even convince her to play there in the first place, she's too much of a legend for Coachella not the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 225Last Thursday at 2:49 AM

Have heard such good things, R225, looking forward to catching her set on the stream Weekend 2. Also curious about Kanye and his Sunday Services. There are sure to be special guests. Some of the gospel choirs and session musicians he has been working with have sounded amazing.

Anyone attending Weekend 2 in person, or planning to catch the stream?

by Anonymousreply 226Last Thursday at 7:45 PM

Only one channel for Weekend 2 livestream:

Coachella Weekend Two is this weekend, and for the first time ever, Weekend Two will also stream live. It’s confirmed that headlining sets from Ariana Grande and Tame Impala will once again stream (no confirmation yet on Childish Gambino though), and there are several reports that Kanye West‘s “Sunday Service” will stream live at 9 AM Pacific (noon Eastern).

The Weekend Two livestream will be a bit different than Weekend One, as Billboard points out:

Starting Friday, YouTube will stream performances from the festival on a single YouTube channel (last weekend was streamed over three channels) with host Jason Bentley from KCRW as part of Goldenvoice’s first-year experiment with an artist-focused broadcast format that will feel more like a Summer Games broadcast than a live festival stream. Inspired by the athletes’ profiles and hometown video segments that air during Olympics, “Coachella Curated” follows Tollett across six continents as he visits the hometowns of international artists playing this year’s festival. “There’ve been a lot of artists we’ve had over the year that have really great stories,” he says, adding that they tend to get lost in media coverage and Instagram posts of SoCal’s largest cultural event. “Most people just see a name on the poster and don’t know what incredible lengths people will go for music.”

by Anonymousreply 227Last Thursday at 8:02 PM

^^ I'm totally pissed off with this news! I want Coachella Livestream Weekend 2!

I want Round 2 of Weekend 1, Dammit!

by Anonymousreply 228Last Thursday at 8:07 PM

Is Sheena Easton going to get a set?

by Anonymousreply 229Last Thursday at 8:42 PM

This old lady singer just fainted on stage.

by Anonymousreply 23012 hours ago

It is something like 98 degrees there.

by Anonymousreply 23112 hours ago

I would go to see Sheena Easton.

by Anonymousreply 23212 hours ago

She dropped hard and then got back up and finished the song.

by Anonymousreply 23312 hours ago

Kasey Musgraves coming up in 30 minutes. Can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 23412 hours ago

Who was the old lady singer?

by Anonymousreply 23512 hours ago

Kate Smith.

by Anonymousreply 23612 hours ago

Dionne Warwick

by Anonymousreply 23712 hours ago

Actually, Dionne's new single is better than a lot of stuff at Coachella.

by Anonymousreply 23812 hours ago

[quote]This old lady singer just fainted on stage.

I didn't know that Madonna was performing this year.

by Anonymousreply 23912 hours ago

R208, thanks for reminding me that I discovered so many bands on MySpace in the mid-2000s. It was good networking for creative types, especially musicians. I had many local musician friends who were doing well advertising shows and niche events on there. I kind of miss it. Facebook was a terrible replacement. I still listen to bands I discovered on MySpace but get nothing but expensive concert promos and apocalyptic shit on FB. And passive-aggressive friend-adjacent people. I don't care about your baby's first burp. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 24011 hours ago

It has gotten hotter, it is now 102 at 7ish. The desert sucks. Streams should be starting soon.

A lot of stored material on MySpace was just deleted in some IT upgrade. Shame. Purportedly an accident.

by Anonymousreply 24110 hours ago

I always thought Facebook was a watered down MySpace as well yet they call Zuckerberg the mastermind genius of our generation. I never understood why. Facebook was nothing revolutionary. I always figured if Zuckerberg could blatantly ripoff another networking site and pass himself off as the king of social media so can somebody else but Facebook makes so much they can pretty much buy anyone else out at this point which is exactly what they did with Instagram. I just remember discovering all sorts of music through college rock, MySpace and Rodney on the Roq and it was just the perfect storm of new music discovery. By the time I went to the REAL Coachella in 04 I knew I was in for something truly beyond Godhead. Also 102? When I went it was 102 degrees in downtown Los Angeles alone. 102 would have been paradise.

by Anonymousreply 24210 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!