Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Coachella

It really looks like a magnet for douchebags. Has anyone been?

by Anonymousreply 306April 26, 2019 6:43 AM

Yes, it is huge magnet of wealthy hipster trash of the East coast variety; vulgar and yet so soft, the West coast just stupid and soft. They descend on PS resorts around me, flouncing around buying everything in the Ralphs while defecating in the parking lots. The fact that this festival of opulence and flat out fuck greed exists while a war has been going on for hoe many years is a testament to the younger generation and their supposed caring for the future. Also the guy that puts it on is a conservative fucktard.

by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2019 6:34 PM

Today's live stream just went live

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2019 11:19 PM

I don't get Coachella at all. It's filling up my Instagram. All the pseudo celebs i.e.. reality show stars, models, influencers etc... are all there. The women are dressed in either slutty attire or costume like garments. The "celeb' women even get their make-up professionally done. I mean it's an outdoor concert! The men are all hipstered up too.

by Anonymousreply 3April 14, 2019 3:17 AM

It is owned by an antigay right winger and yet these supposed progressives still go.

by Anonymousreply 4April 14, 2019 3:18 AM

Yes, went for 7 years in the 2000s until it became a huge corporate cash grab, catering to the lowest common denominator. Jumped the shark in 2008 when Prince and Roger Waters headlined. After that, they realized people were willing to drop coin just for the privilege and cachě of being able to say the went to Coachella, so there was no reason to pay millions of dollars for a headliner. Turned into a fashion show swarmed by various corporations pumping their brands.

Early days Coachella was a lot more about the music with headliners like Bjork, no top 40 artists. People were bitching about Madonna being given a 45 minute set in the smaller (circa 2006) Sahara dance tent, saying she's too pop and doesn't belong at Coachella. Those same people would have had a coronary if they had known Beyonce would headline 12 years later. It would have been unthinkable to even consider artists like that back then.

by Anonymousreply 5April 14, 2019 3:51 AM

At least twice Rivers Cuomo said it may be the last time Weezer is invited back to Coachella. Though not as old as David Byrne who performed last year, their music is tired especially with the last cd filled with covers. It was like watching a Weezer tribute band tonight.

Jambinai was great. They're like a Korean version of Sigur Rós. I also enjoyed Mac DeMarco, Childish Gambino, J. Balvin and I'm listening to Tame Impala now who sound incredible.

by Anonymousreply 6April 14, 2019 6:59 AM

Not giving Aphex Twin a proper headline in favor of that italian hoe Ariana Grande this year is just disgraceful. People may complain that Coachella was being mysoginistic and whatnot but Bjork was a proper female headliner for an allegedly alternative festival. Lady Gaga, Beyoncé and Ariana Grande are hardly real musicians.

by Anonymousreply 7April 14, 2019 8:57 AM

Weezer?

From 1995?

by Anonymousreply 8April 14, 2019 8:59 AM

I loved Rosalia, her flamenco meets hip hop vibe was great. Calypso Rose gave a great performance and she's 79 years old! I watch for the music and this year felt more international with the Kpop girls too.

by Anonymousreply 9April 14, 2019 9:00 AM

Once you get the guys "mellowed out," lots of nice cut cock.

by Anonymousreply 10April 14, 2019 9:44 AM

And the Oscar for douchebags goes to...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 14, 2019 12:58 PM

And the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills attended only to be "trolled" by people saying they were too old to be there. Ha!

by Anonymousreply 12April 14, 2019 1:12 PM

Do people camp out like Burning Man, or do they just come for the day?

by Anonymousreply 13April 14, 2019 1:22 PM

it.s like woodstock but like totes betta

by Anonymousreply 14April 14, 2019 1:23 PM

WHat's with the gay guy and bandanas? So not stylish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 14, 2019 1:37 PM

The seething envy is thick as the rotund waistlines

by Anonymousreply 16April 14, 2019 2:20 PM

There is camping.

by Anonymousreply 17April 14, 2019 2:24 PM

No one wants to be around when Coachella hits so lots of people rent their homes out.

by Anonymousreply 18April 14, 2019 2:42 PM

Isn't it also called crotch-ella?

by Anonymousreply 19April 14, 2019 3:19 PM

Squad:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 14, 2019 3:29 PM

R13, not everyone went for the whole weekend, back in the day, so the accommodation situation varied. It used to be a two day festival for which you could buy single day passes, then it became a three day festival (still allowing single day passes). 2010 is when they made it mandatory to buy a pass for all 3 days, so you had to buy the 3 day wristband.

A lot of the younger people would camp with a large group because camping passes were super cheap, but older people, wanting the creature comforts, would stay in one of the many local hotels or motels and drive in (which itself was a traffic nightmare). I would always stay in palm springs and drive in or take the Coachella shuttle.

by Anonymousreply 21April 14, 2019 3:46 PM

Also, they've amped up the camping options, so you have regular ghetto camping all the way up to super luxurious camping available.

by Anonymousreply 22April 14, 2019 3:48 PM

I just discovered Tame Impala last night. They put on a gorgeous, dreamy set last night. YouTube is streaming next weekend, too, so make sure you catch them on the livestream next Saturday night.

Kevin Parker, the Australian frontman of the group, has the sexiest speaking voice. It's so smooth and chill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 14, 2019 4:04 PM

Beyonce's Netflix documentary about her historic Coachella performance premieres this week.

I'm not a big Beyonce fan, but this documentary looks amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 14, 2019 4:09 PM

Better, worse, or just as bad as Burning Man?

by Anonymousreply 25April 14, 2019 4:16 PM

My friend got selfies with Kyle Richards and her husband Mauricio.

by Anonymousreply 26April 14, 2019 4:35 PM

Was not a fan previously but Childish Gambino put on a powerful set on Friday. Tame Impalla was insane.

Couchella next weekend with your Easter candy or edibles. The Youtube stream is free. :)

by Anonymousreply 27April 14, 2019 4:35 PM

Douchebags? Yes. Cindy Crawford's DUI kid, Presley Gerber, has arrived.

by Anonymousreply 28April 14, 2019 4:39 PM

Where do people go for anonymous sex?

by Anonymousreply 29April 14, 2019 4:53 PM

Brother Kellyanne Kanye is bring the love of Jesus to Coachella Easter Sunday.

He is so wise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 14, 2019 4:56 PM

Is the fashion always this terrible?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 14, 2019 5:01 PM

Lots of forced fun. Gay anon sex in the Tack Room restrooms. Ick factor to see 35-40 and up with hipster doofus hats hiding a chrome dome.

by Anonymousreply 32April 14, 2019 5:04 PM

I see some Fire Islanders in those IG pictures and they're all pushing 40.

by Anonymousreply 33April 14, 2019 5:33 PM

Kanye West's Easter Sunday service should be fascinating. It happens next Sunday morning at 9am PT. I think YouTube is live-streaming it. The entire Kardashian/Jenner clan will be there, including Caitlyn Jenner.

by Anonymousreply 34April 14, 2019 5:46 PM

Stop it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 14, 2019 6:22 PM

Kanye's Sunday Services are like the Gospel Brunch Oprah held during her Legends celebration. Gospel music - in Kayne's case, Gospel reimagining of his songs, some motivational speaking, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 14, 2019 6:26 PM

Tame Impala were amazing!

The music industry is in a really good place right now. Thanks to Drake, Ariana Grande and Post Malone, the music industry is making the most money they've made for the past 14 years. Record labels are making more than they have in decades. I haven't seen so many people into music like this in a long, long time.

You see that enthusiasm reflected at Coachella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 14, 2019 6:28 PM

[Quote] The music industry is in a really good place right now.

It is??

by Anonymousreply 38April 14, 2019 6:29 PM

Can't compare it to burning man. One is a music festival with in-out privileges, the other is a multi-day commitment in the middle of nowhere desert landscape. Sometimes Coachella will have sculptures on display that were originally built for the burning man playa, however.

by Anonymousreply 39April 14, 2019 6:31 PM

A sea of entitled cunts. Insufferable. And many of them are WAY too old to still be doing this shit.

by Anonymousreply 40April 14, 2019 6:33 PM

Is it mandatory to dress tacky?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 14, 2019 7:13 PM

r37 Unfortunately, music is in a terrible place.

by Anonymousreply 42April 14, 2019 7:19 PM

More or less r41. It is de rigeur to have a weirdo hipster outfit of some kind when at Chella.

by Anonymousreply 43April 14, 2019 7:20 PM

R352: I find it funny because i was reading an article on a spanish paper and all the comments were the exactly opposite, all they care was about Weezer

by Anonymousreply 44April 14, 2019 7:24 PM

I agree that music is in a bad place, it's made shitty and generic for the stupid masses. Post Malone is supposed to be good? He wasn't even hip hop to start out with, the industry made him change to fit what is popular with the masses, it's all a complete farce.

by Anonymousreply 45April 14, 2019 7:44 PM

What was Malone to begin with?

by Anonymousreply 46April 14, 2019 7:45 PM

R5 pretty much nailed it. It used to be a festival for people actually into music but that was years ago now. It has long become a place for yuppie scenesters to pretend to be music hipsters.

It's funny people still call Coachella hipster, hipsters hate Coachella.

by Anonymousreply 47April 14, 2019 7:48 PM

I love this doctor in Reelz. The crowd at cowchilla is young, hipster and upper middle class. Chowchilla is near a womans’s prison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 14, 2019 7:49 PM

r46 Some weird emo shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 14, 2019 7:50 PM

I assumed Post was always a rapper but per his Wiki entry he was in a heavy metal band, then segued into soft rock then hip hop.

I like Post and I thought people slagged his Coachella performance unfairly only because he was the act before Beyoncé and everyone was hating on him because they just wanted him off the stage. But I can see him going into more southern rock or folk like Uncle Kracker or Everlast.

by Anonymousreply 50April 14, 2019 7:51 PM

"I didn't say fucking Yee!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 14, 2019 7:56 PM

DLers who have been to both --> please compare and contrast Coachella and Bonnaroo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 14, 2019 7:58 PM

[quote] I just discovered Tame Impala last night. They put on a gorgeous, dreamy set last night.

[quote] Tame Impala were amazing! The music industry is in a really good place right now

Tame Impala is a great psychedelic band (perfect for outdoor festivals), but they haven’t released a new album since 2015 (4 YEARS ago). I discovered them in 2015 at Austin City Limits festival. They also played at London’s All Points East fest last year. They released a few new tracks but nothing freshly epic in the last almost half a decade. Unfortunately, it seems they are creatively stuck or out of ideas.

[quote] It’s fair that Tame Impala might not want to flood their set with new songs but [bold]delivering mostly the same set as every summer for the past 4 years feels a little like you’re being short-changed[/bold].

by Anonymousreply 53April 14, 2019 8:26 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 14, 2019 8:28 PM

It looks empty, dry and dull

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 14, 2019 8:49 PM

When did he get so hot? He looks amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 14, 2019 9:43 PM

Music hasn't been about music for a very long time...

by Anonymousreply 57April 14, 2019 9:51 PM

McDonalds has their own booth?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 14, 2019 9:55 PM

Jaden Smith performed yesterday

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 14, 2019 9:56 PM

J. Balvin's stage set was incredible last night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 14, 2019 10:02 PM

There's always Hipster Girl Hat Bingo to play at Coachella...................

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 14, 2019 11:07 PM

"I luuuuuuuuuuv McDonald fries, with ice cream, I'm so random!!!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 62April 14, 2019 11:12 PM

never heard a song by or watched at all anything starring of...beyonce

she bores me to tears.

by Anonymousreply 63April 14, 2019 11:47 PM

I'm discovering so many great artists thanks to the Coachella live stream. Artists that I've never heard of before, or even thought I'd be in to. That's the beauty of music festivals.

Mansionair just finished their set and I'm now a fan. I watch them again next weekend. Some of the people in the audience were high as a kite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 15, 2019 12:00 AM

R64 You know other streaming and radio stations provide a better and regular opportunity to discover new music?

by Anonymousreply 65April 15, 2019 1:54 AM

Same, R64. I am on the east coast and was not all that familiar with either but I stayed up for Childish Gambino and Tame Impala and really enjoyed both. Blood Orange, on now, is good too. I even enjoyed Kacey Musgrave, and Billie Ellish, which surprised me.

Highly recommend Couchellaing it next weekend. Will defo have some mimosas ready for the whole Yeezus thing next weekend. Kanye has been working with various gospel choirs and session musicians and it has potential to be very entertaining, one way or another.

The live stream can be rewound by pulling it to the left. Seems like the prior day can be viewed up to the stream starting the next day, then it can go back to the beginning of the day that is currently streaming.

by Anonymousreply 66April 15, 2019 2:02 AM

[quote]Billie Ellish

I enjoyed her performance. I'm listening to Dermot Kennedy right now. He's pretty good. He reminds me of Paolo Nutini a bit.

by Anonymousreply 67April 15, 2019 2:07 AM

It's handy that all the douchebags (male and female) flock there. We could eliminate them all at once and raise the average IQ in the country by 20+ points.

by Anonymousreply 68April 15, 2019 2:14 AM

I do not think Billie Ellish turns 18 until late this year. Her confidence and self possession are remarkable. She was in an amazing slot, had her set delayed and disrupted due to tech difficulties and more than held her own.

I even liked The Wallows who reminded me a bit of the very young Arctic Monkeys when they first played at Glasto as teens.

The live stream has been so fun on a rainy weekend and like someone posted, I have really enjoyed watching bands I knew nothing about. Sure hope Kanye will be on the stream.

by Anonymousreply 69April 15, 2019 2:19 AM

The person who surprised me the most was Wiz Khalifa of all people. I've never heard any of his music before, other than "See You Again" with Charlie Puth. He puts on a damn good show. I think he's a good starting point for people who don't care for rap all that much.

Catch him next Saturday if you can.

by Anonymousreply 70April 15, 2019 2:27 AM

They just announced that Kanye's Sunday Service is being live-streamed on YouTube on Easter morning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 15, 2019 2:34 AM

Zedd looks so damn hot tonight.

by Anonymousreply 72April 15, 2019 2:54 AM

OMG! Ariana Grande's crowd will be over 200,000 tonight.

by Anonymousreply 73April 15, 2019 3:01 AM

I want to be Zedd, it looks really fun!

Can believe that for Ariana, Childish Gambino kept talking about 100k.

by Anonymousreply 74April 15, 2019 3:05 AM

Zedd just brought out Katy Perry.

Her career could use some revitalizing, lol.

by Anonymousreply 75April 15, 2019 3:05 AM

Erm, maybe Zedd should have brought out Halsey.

Katy Perry said she has been doing Coachella for 17 years, um, way to emphasize your age, Katy. And you cannot dance.

She should grow her hair out, her career has tanked ever since she went for the hard/Pink look. It does not go with her bubblegummy music. How long is she gonna do the fauxmance with Orlando?

by Anonymousreply 76April 15, 2019 3:13 AM

Variety says of Billie Eilish:

[quote]Rock isn’t dead at Coachella, a vast amount of evidence to the contrary notwithstanding. It was alive and well in a performance by Billie Eilish that pushed every rock ‘n’ roll button except the one that demands there be an electric guitar on stage.

Does anyone under 50 even know what rock is anymore? It would seem not.

by Anonymousreply 77April 15, 2019 3:16 AM

Eilish is so wiggerish — that always mortifies me so.

by Anonymousreply 78April 15, 2019 3:17 AM

So EDM is like a DJ with karaoke by the audience with lots of visuals and everyone on E?

I had thought it would be more like a rave but with so many people packed in, it is kind of a bounce and wave your arms thing.

Zedd has played songs by Whitney and now Queen, so it is not just his work? Pays really well though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 15, 2019 3:24 AM

Zedd, lemme taste that ass

by Anonymousreply 80April 15, 2019 3:38 AM

The attendance cap at Coachella is 126K people, so they're not even allowed to let anywhere near 200K people at the venue.

by Anonymousreply 81April 15, 2019 3:38 AM

Posers obsessed with letting others know how much fun they're having?

Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 82April 15, 2019 3:39 AM

The career of Khalid continues to mystify me, I must admit.

by Anonymousreply 83April 15, 2019 3:41 AM

Yeah, the bands are great, but it seems like overkill with the poseurs.

by Anonymousreply 84April 15, 2019 3:43 AM

Zedd is a good dude.

He worked with Kesha after the Dr Luke accusation when nobody else would speak up for her or work with her out of fear. This was like a year before Taylor Swift wrote the 200k check

by Anonymousreply 85April 15, 2019 3:45 AM

Nice to know, thanks, R85.

by Anonymousreply 86April 15, 2019 3:47 AM

Katy Perry playing at Coachella 17 years?!? Which years is she claiming she played? I'm not seeing her listed in a single lineup going all the way back to 1999.

by Anonymousreply 87April 15, 2019 3:48 AM

I think she meant attended, she grew up in the area so likely started going as a teen? So, she is pushing mid-30s kinda hard.

by Anonymousreply 88April 15, 2019 3:52 AM

More re: Zedd and Kesha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 15, 2019 3:52 AM

Gesaffelstein is streaming now. He's a darker EDM guy who works a lot with The Weeknd.

by Anonymousreply 90April 15, 2019 3:54 AM

Yeah, I am watching that too. I listened to the Spotify Coachella playlist when it first dropped and kinda discovered him then. Really like it. I used to listen to a lot of Front 242 back in the day and it reminds me of that.

by Anonymousreply 91April 15, 2019 4:00 AM

SO IF THE OWNERS ARE ANTI GAY THEN WHY ARE SO MANY GAYS SHOWING UP? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 92April 15, 2019 4:01 AM

The music, I think, R92?

I am just streaming for free so am not giving them a dime.

by Anonymousreply 93April 15, 2019 4:03 AM

For the same reason so many gays eat Chik-Fil-A

by Anonymousreply 94April 15, 2019 4:03 AM

@LosFelizDaycare

PLEASE let us know if your toddler will be at Coachella this weekend and make sure to specify if they're performing, making an appearance as an influencer or just attending with an Artist Pass.

by Anonymousreply 95April 15, 2019 4:04 AM

THEY'RE FUCKTARDS, R94?

by Anonymousreply 96April 15, 2019 4:04 AM

R93, I don’t think you understand how the internet works. You also probably don’t think Facebook makes any money off of you either.

by Anonymousreply 97April 15, 2019 4:09 AM

Anyone else watch Guava?

Shirtless Glover is easy on the eyes. Rhianna has a charm as an actress that I did not expect. Cuba is lovely and sad.

by Anonymousreply 98April 15, 2019 4:09 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99April 15, 2019 4:11 AM

R89 That's a great look for Kesha.

by Anonymousreply 100April 15, 2019 4:12 AM

Yikes, Leo is even older than Katy Perry! Are we supposed to think he is young since he is bearding with a 21 year old?

Coachella is supposed to have some really good drugs.

Burning Man seems like more of an old geezer thing, but it is farther and more of a commitment.

by Anonymousreply 101April 15, 2019 4:18 AM

I see that Beyonce is releasing a documentary of her Coachella show last year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102April 15, 2019 4:22 AM

Are she and Jay still in a lot of debt?

by Anonymousreply 103April 15, 2019 4:25 AM

R92 FOR THE GRAM, DUH

by Anonymousreply 104April 15, 2019 4:34 AM

How does Coachella work? Like stream 3 seems weaker than the steam 1. Do you have to buy tickets to certain stages or you go where you want?

by Anonymousreply 105April 15, 2019 4:35 AM

The rainbow towers off the main stage are so cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106April 15, 2019 4:36 AM

It's about being seen these days, not about the music. I'd rather go to SXSW, at least everyone isn't dressing like douchebags

by Anonymousreply 107April 15, 2019 4:38 AM

R105, it's a music festival. You pay about $350 for GA pass. You walk from one stage to another based on your music preferences.

by Anonymousreply 108April 15, 2019 4:41 AM

[quote]How does Coachella work? Like stream 3 seems weaker than the steam 1. Do you have to buy tickets to certain stages or you go where you want?

You buy passes to the fest and go wherever you want. The set times/stages are posted a day or so before Coachella so you decide where you want to go.

by Anonymousreply 109April 15, 2019 4:41 AM

Passes are $450 and they sell out fast. The first weekend this year sold out in 30 minutes. So you have to plan ahead if you want to attend.

by Anonymousreply 110April 15, 2019 4:43 AM

A person Dicaprio's age going to Coachella is just embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 111April 15, 2019 4:51 AM

OMG GUYS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 15, 2019 4:52 AM

Chella in a nutshell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113April 15, 2019 4:53 AM

[quote]What was Malone to begin with?

Pre Menstrual

by Anonymousreply 114April 15, 2019 4:53 AM

I haven't been since 2012, passes were about $300 back then.

by Anonymousreply 115April 15, 2019 4:53 AM

When did it go from being an actual music festival to douchebags in indian headdress photoshoots?

by Anonymousreply 116April 15, 2019 4:55 AM

I thought I saw Aunt Becky's daughters in the background of one of the interviews.

by Anonymousreply 117April 15, 2019 4:55 AM

Justin Bieber just now spotted in the audience looking high as a kite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118April 15, 2019 5:01 AM

Wow at R113. That's a whole other level. I've seen these Instagram influencers getting their hair and make-up professionally done and thought that was crazy. The wardrobes on the women and men is over the top.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119April 15, 2019 5:01 AM

Glad he is having fun, R118. I expected to hear he was sobbing.

H.E.R. is only slightly older than Billie Ellish, these kids have balls these days.

by Anonymousreply 120April 15, 2019 5:02 AM

Remember when Justin got thrown out even though Drake had invited him? Hope he has a better night. Marriage to the Baldwins does not seem to be agreeing with him.

NSYNC are supposed to be special guests of Ariana. Cannot stand any of them and am gonna turn in on the East Coast. Seems like there are more tech issues, it is gonna run really late.

Happy Couchella to all next weekend!

by Anonymousreply 121April 15, 2019 5:05 AM

R116, that started happening around 2008-2009. My friends went to the first Coachella in 1999 and it was only $100 for both days (it was just a two day event back then). Bare bones compared to today. You walked in and they handed you a free bottle of water. No fashion show, no flower crowns, or any of that other pseudo-hippie gear.

by Anonymousreply 122April 15, 2019 5:05 AM

When did Instagram start? Bet it happened around then.

You can still hear some great music tho, just ignore the rest.

by Anonymousreply 123April 15, 2019 5:12 AM

What sets would you recommend hearing? I've only seen Rosalía and Aphex Twin.

by Anonymousreply 124April 15, 2019 5:30 AM

Parcel, an Australian band that has a sound like Daft Punk, were great.

by Anonymousreply 125April 15, 2019 5:46 AM

N'Sync (minus JT) with Ariana Grande was weird.

by Anonymousreply 126April 15, 2019 6:06 AM

It was so lame and FAT, r126.

by Anonymousreply 127April 15, 2019 6:07 AM

Why am I behind? No *NSYNC yet from what I'm watching.

by Anonymousreply 128April 15, 2019 6:09 AM

Ariana's set so far is really boring. She's killing the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 129April 15, 2019 6:10 AM

[quote]Why am I behind? No *NSYNC yet from what I'm watching.

Are you watching Stream 1 with Ariana Grande? Or have you been pausing your stream? When I paused mine it paused the performance despite being live so I refreshed and it picked up where the performance really was.

by Anonymousreply 130April 15, 2019 6:16 AM

People on social media are saying Ariana's stage background is the Illumi Sign.

by Anonymousreply 131April 15, 2019 6:22 AM

Nicki Minaj with Ariana is an absolute MESS! Ariana said in her mic "we can't hear anything." MESS!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 132April 15, 2019 6:25 AM

They need to talk about Nicki's mic being messed up and how it screwed her up making them both look crazy.

People can hate Beyoncé for whatever reason but she beat the brakes off of Coachella last year. She set the bar high with her performance.

by Anonymousreply 133April 15, 2019 6:25 AM

SYNC(no Justin) were awesome, they sounded great and it was lovely that Ariana is such a fan she made it happen.

by Anonymousreply 134April 15, 2019 6:28 AM

I thought it was a convention where they got together and sold and traded purses.

by Anonymousreply 135April 15, 2019 6:32 AM

[Quote] SYNC(no Justin) were awesome, they sounded great and it was lovely that Ariana is such a fan she made it happen.

Now it makes sense why she had that little riff from Makes Me Ill on that silly breakup song.

by Anonymousreply 136April 15, 2019 6:35 AM

Ariana Grande and N'SYNC playing at Coachella is a skit on SNL that writes itself.

by Anonymousreply 137April 15, 2019 6:55 AM

I prefer it when Ariana belts out a song instead of doing that breathy simpering.

by Anonymousreply 138April 15, 2019 7:03 AM

No dedication to Mac from Ariana?

by Anonymousreply 139April 15, 2019 7:15 AM

Why is Leo and that girl walking around confused, back and forth, like they lost something in R99?

by Anonymousreply 140April 15, 2019 8:16 AM

The Hell R48? I think that autopsy doctor is hot too...but why post that here?

by Anonymousreply 141April 15, 2019 9:22 AM

These older gals from Australia are there. You know Coachella has jumped the shark when the D-grade celebrity WAGS have arrived.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142April 15, 2019 9:39 AM

R129 she’s a terrible performer.

by Anonymousreply 143April 15, 2019 9:50 AM

Passes are $450? When will Bernie get involved to make it free for everyone?

by Anonymousreply 144April 15, 2019 10:23 AM

Do DLers even know what Bonnaroo is?

by Anonymousreply 145April 15, 2019 11:32 AM

It seems like a gathering where Hollywood celebrities can go and display their real selves, the low class trashy people they are when they're not putting on a "look at me I'm so classy" act for the cameras.

by Anonymousreply 146April 15, 2019 11:44 AM

Seems like the best place to score douchebag hot cut Jock dick.

by Anonymousreply 147April 15, 2019 12:27 PM

There were a lot of sound & tech issues all weekend. Before Billie Ellish and H.E.R. were some of the most glaring. Nikki had plenty of company.

I cannot understand the career of Ariana. She was recently in my city and much of the audience was elementary school kids and their parents, according to a co-worker her took her 8 year old son. But, the rumor was she was a replacement, either for Timberlake or for Kanye when they pulled out.

by Anonymousreply 148April 15, 2019 12:33 PM

Gesaffelstein was really good.

by Anonymousreply 149April 15, 2019 12:40 PM

What’s with the ultra-quirk act names these days? Childish Gambino. Tame Impala. Parcel.

by Anonymousreply 150April 15, 2019 12:42 PM

Like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, R150?

by Anonymousreply 151April 15, 2019 2:08 PM

@vanessafranko

So Ariana Grande did NOT allow our professional photographers to capture her #Coachella set. When this happens, I have Terrible Stick Figure drawings like a courtroom artist, terrible because I can’t draw. Here’s the first from #Arichella

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152April 15, 2019 2:29 PM

Weekend 1 is when all the Instagram whores, Youtubers, trust fund, Greek life and celebrity kids go.

Weekend 2 is more of DL people. Though I do imagine it would be fairly easy to get it in with DL faves either weekend.

by Anonymousreply 153April 15, 2019 3:00 PM

R152 lol of course there's a donut joke.

by Anonymousreply 154April 15, 2019 3:46 PM

R149, their song Blast off, with Pharrell is really good.

by Anonymousreply 155April 15, 2019 3:52 PM

I just can't with the Woodstock cosplay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156April 15, 2019 5:47 PM

Joel Kinnaman, Kylie Richards and Leo have gotten some shit for attending. I will thrown in Chris Appleton because he's nearly 40 and if people cared, he would be mentioned too.

by Anonymousreply 157April 15, 2019 6:12 PM

So many ways to hate them. So little time to chose among them.

by Anonymousreply 158April 15, 2019 6:34 PM

A friend of a friend went there this year. She is an influencer and had her own make-up team and hairstylist with her there. I find it ridiculous. I saw plenty of outfits posts on Instagram and barely anything about the bands or music. Does anyone there even care?

And has Glastonbury turned into a social media influencers/hipsters paradise as well?

by Anonymousreply 159April 15, 2019 9:02 PM

This was such a moment!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160April 15, 2019 9:12 PM

I follow an English presenter and she just came out and said it's not as much fun as it used to be -- while she was there and wearing clothing with marketing partners and so on.

Refreshing honesty, maybe, but it's just as likely to be that British way of shitting on everything American.

by Anonymousreply 161April 15, 2019 9:12 PM

R160 get lost deluded ariantor, she sucks

by Anonymousreply 162April 15, 2019 9:18 PM

a moment of shit. that bitch can't sing.

by Anonymousreply 163April 15, 2019 9:19 PM

Why couldn't this shit pile have caught fire instead of Notre Dame

by Anonymousreply 164April 15, 2019 9:20 PM

R163 or perform or dance or not be an uninteresting airhead

by Anonymousreply 165April 15, 2019 9:20 PM

The blackpink girls were the only interesting show this year, Ariana show was boring, Billie is overrated but Jaden Smith was the worst.

by Anonymousreply 166April 15, 2019 9:40 PM

I would have liked to have seen Kid Cudi. I caught some of this rap group, YG or something like that, and it was just embarrassing. Really terrible.

by Anonymousreply 167April 15, 2019 9:56 PM

Kid Cudi's set was okay. I'm not a big fan of his music, but lots of people are obsessed with him.

I want to catch Rosalia next week on the livestream. I caught the tail end of her set on Friday and she was refreshing. She deserves to have Cardi b's career, tbh. She's a lot more talented.

by Anonymousreply 168April 15, 2019 10:10 PM

I love Kid Cudi! I’m guessing he will probably show up at Kanye’s Sunday Service

by Anonymousreply 169April 15, 2019 10:29 PM

Is Weyes Blood even performing? She just released the record of the year.

by Anonymousreply 170April 15, 2019 10:30 PM

The coachella brown suede ankle boot trend must die.

by Anonymousreply 171April 15, 2019 11:17 PM

Jumped the shark 10 years ago. Believe me, you are missing nothing. You will derive FAR more pleasure watching the free livestream from the air conditioned comfort of your own home. This is coming from a multi-year Coachella veteran who stopped going years ago after it became abundantly clear that the event had become a giant marketing platform and attendees were fee paying suckers. Don't be a sucker.

by Anonymousreply 172April 15, 2019 11:22 PM

PSA: You can re-wind the live stream to see anything you missed until the stream stream starts for the next day, then you can re-wind it to the first act for that day. Just pull to the left. Free on Youtube, everyone Couchella! :)

by Anonymousreply 173April 15, 2019 11:36 PM

What's with the age Nazis in this thread? I assume most live events are geared towards a younger crowd, but if older people have the desire and energy to attend, why not?

by Anonymousreply 174April 16, 2019 12:18 AM

R173, Cudi is nowhere to be found. I think he performed Friday, so maybe that's why.

by Anonymousreply 175April 16, 2019 12:24 AM

Yep, his set could be watched up until the stream started on Saturday. Will be the same for Weekend 2. The Sunday performances should be up until the Fri stream starts. Kanye/Yeezus will also be streamed on Sunday morning, Easter Sunday, no less.

by Anonymousreply 176April 16, 2019 12:48 AM

I went a few times and it was fantastic. Fucked a few horny guys. Mmm

by Anonymousreply 177April 16, 2019 12:56 AM

r177 how incredibly easy was it to bag Insta gays and wannabe reality stars?

by Anonymousreply 178April 16, 2019 2:55 AM

Hmmm...interesting how people boycott Chick-fil-A for homophobia but not Coachella.

by Anonymousreply 179April 16, 2019 6:50 AM

15 years ago they would have given Kate Bush her own wing of the festival to HEADLINE or paid out the rear to get the Smiths to reunite. Maybe now at best we get Will Smith and his offspring. Hell I’d even settle for the Offspring at this point. Now the Sultan of Brunei can probably buy the entire venue out for the right price :(. Might as well have those banjo playing hillbillies from Deliverance play next year cause the show has been raped of all of its dignity and originality. Corporate cash cows like Clear Channel and I ❤️ Radio might as well put it out of it’s misery and cut off whatever’s left of the balls this manufactured, generic top 40 pop, puke parade once had.

by Anonymousreply 180April 16, 2019 9:38 AM

r145 FU!!Lol

I'm a junior eldergay shut-in, and I've heard of Bonnaroo.

Legendary performance---RIP Bernie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181April 16, 2019 5:35 PM

It sounds like it could be fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182April 16, 2019 7:27 PM

Why did they give Kacey Musgraves such an early time slot? At least she got the main stage. Loved her giant mirrorball.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183April 16, 2019 8:27 PM

"People were bitching about Madonna being given a 45 minute set in the smaller (circa 2006) Sahara dance tent, saying she's too pop and doesn't belong at Coachella."

This is the one - and only - time I've gone to Coachella. I was somewhere around my mid 20's. Living in LA. My friend and I went to see Madonna, and it was the worst "set" or show I've ever seen. Couldn't see a thing in a packed clausterphobic tent, everyone tripping out, she was way late - apparently flew in on a helicopter and sang 3 songs, basically no good songs, and left. Ended up enjoying Scissor Sisters a lot more. But it wasn't my thing even then. Taking pills, boiling hot, uncomfortable and etc. If I didn't dig it then, I can't imagine being in the crowd its become now and I don't really care for the musicians anyway.

by Anonymousreply 184April 16, 2019 8:34 PM

I know people who went years ago and they said the heat is brutal. They also said everybody stinks because of it. It's nothing but the stench of B.O. everywhere. Think of that the next time you look at the picture of all the people in their Coachella outfits.

by Anonymousreply 185April 17, 2019 1:46 AM

Place sucks. music in today general sucks, Hasn't been decent in close to 20 years. Everybody goes so they can post the shit on social media and think they're fucking important. r37 works in the industry because he sounds like a promoter at a dying business.

by Anonymousreply 186April 17, 2019 1:58 AM

R186, The music industry just had its best year in 13 years. It's doing better than ever.

by Anonymousreply 187April 17, 2019 2:18 AM

Sales wise i guess it’s doing ok, I don’t pay much attention (thank you Spotify and torre.....NEVERMIND!!!!!) As far as quality, 20 years of terrible music?? Really? If you’re in SoCal and love the Coachella or yesteryear go to the IDLES and Fontaines DC show coming up in May and tell me if you feel any different. There’s still some incredible stuff out there and just because you’re older doesn’t mean you have to be out of the loop. Iggy Pop and Rodney Bingenheimer aren’t spring chickens and they’re out there promoting sensational new music like Falseheads and Shame and the Beths etc.

by Anonymousreply 188April 17, 2019 2:42 AM

With the shift to streaming, who is making any money? Not the artists, except by touring and merch and smaller bands often lose money. Who exactly is doing better?

by Anonymousreply 189April 17, 2019 3:31 AM

Well, execpt for Ari and Scooter, they are doing fine!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190April 17, 2019 3:33 AM

All of Ariana Grande's songs sound the same. Generic Auto-Tuned music for pole dancers.

by Anonymousreply 191April 17, 2019 3:37 AM

Isn't Ariana constantly touring? I don't see how she would pull people in.

by Anonymousreply 192April 17, 2019 3:42 AM

@R189 - Coachella has been live streaming on YouTube for NINE YEARS now!

by Anonymousreply 193April 17, 2019 3:46 AM

^ Friday Weekend 1 is when the "Best New Artists" are scheduled to perform:

Coachella Friday 2019 - Weekend 1: SG Lewis, Jauz, Gorgon City, Nona Kravitz, Nona en Pure, Rufus du Sol

Coachella Saturday 2019 - Weekend 2: Bob Moses, CloZee, Tame Impala . . .

by Anonymousreply 194April 17, 2019 3:52 AM

By shift to streaming, I meant Spotify. I imagine you have heard of it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195April 17, 2019 3:58 AM

Who exactly, is doing so well? The money is going somewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196April 17, 2019 3:59 AM

Spotify

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197April 17, 2019 4:01 AM

R197, That article is from 2016. Record companies have learned how to profit with streaming and are now making more money than ever. The profit made from the global sales of Drake, Ariana Grande and BTS in 2018 hadn't been seen since 2006, which was before iTunes was introduced, and long before streaming was a thing. That shows how much interest there is in music right now. I think a lot of it has to do with Trump. People want to escape the negativity and music is the best way to do that.

by Anonymousreply 198April 17, 2019 4:25 AM

RS agrees with you that some people are making $, R198. Seems harder and harder for those farther down the food chain though. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/how-musicians-make-money-or-dont-at-all-in-2018-706745/

Agree that music can be an escape. Ticket prices have gone up a great deal, although some bands make it a point to keep them affordable. Merchandise seems to be a big source of income for many and paid meet and greets are a thing.

by Anonymousreply 199April 17, 2019 4:30 AM

The reality seems more like this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200April 17, 2019 4:31 AM

Tamaryn might has well have sold shoes with her always gazing at them ;)

by Anonymousreply 201April 17, 2019 4:37 AM

Oops, link for R199

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202April 17, 2019 4:37 AM

[quote]A person Dicaprio's age going to Coachella is just embarrassing.

But it's how he recruits new girlfriends.

by Anonymousreply 203April 17, 2019 4:40 AM

Nah, his manager hires them. Part of the deal is likely things like Coachella, to boost their own brand. He looks a bit ridiculous but the drugs are said to be good.

by Anonymousreply 204April 17, 2019 4:48 AM

Why not just take a performer home with you Leo? You know he’s counting down the days til Billie Eilish turns 18 ;) Might be a demotion for him with her never having walked the runway in angel wings.

by Anonymousreply 205April 17, 2019 4:52 AM

The internet was supposed to bring a new era of endless possibilities and creative liberty for musicians , freeing them from the claws of the evil music industry but instead it has fucked them even more.

How fucking sad.

by Anonymousreply 206April 17, 2019 4:55 AM

R206, yep. Justin Beiber comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 207April 17, 2019 4:57 AM

It really has, many call it an expensive hobby that costs them, rather than makes them money. In the early days of MySpace could not have seen this. And the Algorithms are driving and narrowing tastes to an astonishing degree as music press is also shrinking.

by Anonymousreply 208April 17, 2019 4:58 AM

R5 - Loved your post. That was my Coachella period as well. It's inevitable that, as we age, we lament that things aren't what they used to be, but those earlier days of Coachella WERE different and I'm really glad I got to go 4 or 5 times before it morphed into the scene that it is today. The fact that Coachella now nearly instantly sells out before the lineup is even announced should tell you what you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 209April 17, 2019 5:03 AM

This is Coachella in 2019

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210April 17, 2019 5:10 AM

Weekend 1, yeah. But Weekend 2 is different.

The array and diversity of acts is unusual for a festival. Even the livestream has been a treat. I have discovered quite a few artists I had never heard of. Some I have enjoyed streaming, some I have even mentioned to friends. I sent one a NYT piece on Blood Orange. Super interesting guy with a voice like vintage velvet. I may even catch some of the new favs live shows in my city, it is peak touring season coming up.

This week in between, many acts are just hanging in CA and they are doing promo and late night tv and small shows if you live in the area. It is easy to be too cool for school and trash whatever younger people are into, but it can still be about the music, even from the East Coast. Even with all the tech issues there were some powerful performances.

Would still love to make it to Glasto one year, but this has been a lot of fun.

Happy Couchella Weekend 2 everyone!

by Anonymousreply 211April 17, 2019 6:17 AM

Damn, I remember when KROQ (local LA rock station) advertised this event as some cheap, dusty, grubby concert in the desert for like $50. Boy, has it changed its image since then!

by Anonymousreply 212April 17, 2019 6:30 AM

R211, I loved Blood Orange. Definitely a stand out for me and I would've never discovered them were it not for the Coachella live stream so it's hard to hate on the festival as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 213April 17, 2019 6:36 AM

Coachella is gentrification in music festival form.

by Anonymousreply 214April 17, 2019 6:41 AM

Lots of creeps and corruption for sure in fact Leo seems so insecure I wouldn’t be surprised if he pushed for the press to get that politician all over the media to take the heat off of him and his creepy ways. He knows how to pull strings. Probably takes notes from Charlie Sheen cause they both seem untouchable in Hollywood’s eyes. Charlie of course has daddy with his good reputation always bailing him out, but once the ol’ man dies, watch out #MeToo movement. Leo is as fake as the new tits he paid for his 19 year old supermodel girlfriend to get. But he’s an award winning actor so he knows how to win over gullible, naive, feeble minded girls over with what he’s so great at, his acting skills. He doesn’t have a sincere bone in his body. He’d be Chris Hansen’s bitch if he never made it big in Hollywood. If 22 is the OLDEST he’ll go imagine how old his youngest conquests have been. If Radio Disney hosts their own concert I would watch my daughters like a hawk around him.

by Anonymousreply 215April 17, 2019 9:20 PM

Count me in as another new Blood Orange fan. I'd never heard of them before watching the livestream last weekend. They were refreshing. That's the beauty of these festivals, as they introduce you to so much new music. I found myself even enjoying some of the rap artists.

by Anonymousreply 216April 17, 2019 11:10 PM

[Quote] Probably takes notes from Charlie Sheen cause they both seem untouchable in Hollywood’s eyes. Charlie of course has daddy with his good reputation always bailing him out, but once the ol’ man dies, watch out #MeToo movement.

Charlie's untouchable? Who's his daddy?

by Anonymousreply 217April 18, 2019 12:04 AM

[QUOTE]Charlie's untouchable? Who's his daddy?

Beloved former president Josiah Bartlet.

by Anonymousreply 218April 18, 2019 2:32 AM

I LUV ME SOME COACHELLA!

The YouTube Livestream RULES!

(Don't like it? Cry louder.)

by Anonymousreply 219April 18, 2019 2:41 AM

There was a lengthy profile of Dev from Blood Orange in the NYT magazine not long ago. Interesting guy.

Looking forward to the livestream for Weekend 2, I will admit.

by Anonymousreply 220April 18, 2019 2:53 AM

r215 Leo is not actually fucking any of those girls.

by Anonymousreply 221April 18, 2019 4:34 AM

Seems like a nice party for the young folks

by Anonymousreply 222April 18, 2019 8:59 AM

Americans are suckers for paying those prices Primavera Sound has the same cool, of the moment line up for half the price. The event organizers even manage to set up some smaller satellite shows around Barcelona for those that cannot afford a ticket to the main thing.

Ceremonia Festival had many of the acts that performed at Coachella for just 60 dollars.

by Anonymousreply 223April 18, 2019 10:20 AM

lord have mercy Kanye, mr and mrs bey, etc of that ilk.... make me puke my guts out

by Anonymousreply 224April 18, 2019 10:26 AM

R168 Rosalía is so stellar onstage, a formidable drop of talent in a sea of mediocrity.

R180 That asshole from Coachella talking about how he didn't ask Kate Bush to perform because the crowd wouldn't get it when in the first place he would need to jump through hoops to even convince her to play there in the first place, she's too much of a legend for Coachella not the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 225April 18, 2019 10:49 AM

Have heard such good things, R225, looking forward to catching her set on the stream Weekend 2. Also curious about Kanye and his Sunday Services. There are sure to be special guests. Some of the gospel choirs and session musicians he has been working with have sounded amazing.

Anyone attending Weekend 2 in person, or planning to catch the stream?

by Anonymousreply 226April 19, 2019 3:45 AM

Only one channel for Weekend 2 livestream:

Coachella Weekend Two is this weekend, and for the first time ever, Weekend Two will also stream live. It’s confirmed that headlining sets from Ariana Grande and Tame Impala will once again stream (no confirmation yet on Childish Gambino though), and there are several reports that Kanye West‘s “Sunday Service” will stream live at 9 AM Pacific (noon Eastern).

The Weekend Two livestream will be a bit different than Weekend One, as Billboard points out:

Starting Friday, YouTube will stream performances from the festival on a single YouTube channel (last weekend was streamed over three channels) with host Jason Bentley from KCRW as part of Goldenvoice’s first-year experiment with an artist-focused broadcast format that will feel more like a Summer Games broadcast than a live festival stream. Inspired by the athletes’ profiles and hometown video segments that air during Olympics, “Coachella Curated” follows Tollett across six continents as he visits the hometowns of international artists playing this year’s festival. “There’ve been a lot of artists we’ve had over the year that have really great stories,” he says, adding that they tend to get lost in media coverage and Instagram posts of SoCal’s largest cultural event. “Most people just see a name on the poster and don’t know what incredible lengths people will go for music.”

by Anonymousreply 227April 19, 2019 4:02 AM

^^ I'm totally pissed off with this news! I want Coachella Livestream Weekend 2!

I want Round 2 of Weekend 1, Dammit!

by Anonymousreply 228April 19, 2019 4:07 AM

Is Sheena Easton going to get a set?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229April 19, 2019 4:42 AM

This old lady singer just fainted on stage.

by Anonymousreply 230April 20, 2019 12:17 AM

It is something like 98 degrees there.

by Anonymousreply 231April 20, 2019 12:19 AM

I would go to see Sheena Easton.

by Anonymousreply 232April 20, 2019 12:22 AM

She dropped hard and then got back up and finished the song.

by Anonymousreply 233April 20, 2019 12:22 AM

Kasey Musgraves coming up in 30 minutes. Can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 234April 20, 2019 12:23 AM

Who was the old lady singer?

by Anonymousreply 235April 20, 2019 12:23 AM

Kate Smith.

by Anonymousreply 236April 20, 2019 12:26 AM

Dionne Warwick

by Anonymousreply 237April 20, 2019 12:26 AM

Actually, Dionne's new single is better than a lot of stuff at Coachella.

by Anonymousreply 238April 20, 2019 12:27 AM

[quote]This old lady singer just fainted on stage.

I didn't know that Madonna was performing this year.

by Anonymousreply 239April 20, 2019 12:28 AM

R208, thanks for reminding me that I discovered so many bands on MySpace in the mid-2000s. It was good networking for creative types, especially musicians. I had many local musician friends who were doing well advertising shows and niche events on there. I kind of miss it. Facebook was a terrible replacement. I still listen to bands I discovered on MySpace but get nothing but expensive concert promos and apocalyptic shit on FB. And passive-aggressive friend-adjacent people. I don't care about your baby's first burp. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 240April 20, 2019 1:44 AM

It has gotten hotter, it is now 102 at 7ish. The desert sucks. Streams should be starting soon.

A lot of stored material on MySpace was just deleted in some IT upgrade. Shame. Purportedly an accident.

by Anonymousreply 241April 20, 2019 2:19 AM

I always thought Facebook was a watered down MySpace as well yet they call Zuckerberg the mastermind genius of our generation. I never understood why. Facebook was nothing revolutionary. I always figured if Zuckerberg could blatantly ripoff another networking site and pass himself off as the king of social media so can somebody else but Facebook makes so much they can pretty much buy anyone else out at this point which is exactly what they did with Instagram. I just remember discovering all sorts of music through college rock, MySpace and Rodney on the Roq and it was just the perfect storm of new music discovery. By the time I went to the REAL Coachella in 04 I knew I was in for something truly beyond Godhead. Also 102? When I went it was 102 degrees in downtown Los Angeles alone. 102 would have been paradise.

by Anonymousreply 242April 20, 2019 2:35 AM

Not loving the curated version.

by Anonymousreply 243April 20, 2019 5:22 AM

Blackpink are the best

by Anonymousreply 244April 20, 2019 5:33 AM

Blackpink are loads of fun. Not my thing but a fun act.

by Anonymousreply 245April 20, 2019 5:38 AM

Hmmmmmmm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246April 20, 2019 6:01 AM

Ha. Of all places.

I had fun watching Black Pink and The 1975. Shirtless Matty is nice eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 247April 20, 2019 12:01 PM

Last night is still available on the rewind, pull to the left. It is still fun over coffee. Should be up until the stream for today starts.

by Anonymousreply 248April 20, 2019 12:07 PM

[quote] All of Ariana Grande's songs sound the same. Generic Auto-Tuned music for pole dancers.

It’s so sad because Grande has one of the great voices of her generation (at the Whitney Houston level) but each song is a forgettable pop creation. I saw a video of her performing and she just stands and sings for 60 minutes.

What a waste

by Anonymousreply 249April 20, 2019 12:44 PM

[quote] The music industry just had its best year in 13 years. It's doing better than ever.

Proof that shit sells if you package it well and play it over and over again

by Anonymousreply 250April 20, 2019 12:45 PM

Maybe the industry, meaning the top, streaming services, etc, did, but it is harder for musicians and smaller bands to make a go of it these days.

by Anonymousreply 251April 20, 2019 2:09 PM

Sunday Service live stream coming up in a few.

People who heard the dress rehearsal said the gospel choir is amazing. The also seemed to be running through KSG stuff too.

Kanye always has entertainment potential, you never know what he might say or do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252April 21, 2019 3:55 PM

Modern pop music sucks balls.

by Anonymousreply 253April 21, 2019 3:58 PM

Have it cued and ready.

And Kanye ever the salesman, is selling merch. A pair of socks for $50, sweatshirts for $145.

by Anonymousreply 254April 21, 2019 4:01 PM

The drama of the late start.

by Anonymousreply 255April 21, 2019 4:06 PM

Kendall Jenner, in Calvin Klein underwear, was the ad before my stream started. Keepin it in the family.

The did not start to gather on the hill until after 9. Bits of music now, to shots of a mountain.

by Anonymousreply 256April 21, 2019 4:08 PM

My Calvin Klein ad was that Noah guy from a Netflix movie and when I toggled to the Yuma stage it was Shawn Mendes.

I've known church services to go long, but never to start late.

by Anonymousreply 257April 21, 2019 4:10 PM

Will Smith joined son Jaden during his Coachella performance yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258April 21, 2019 4:16 PM

So dramatic up on the hill, lol.

Beautiful weather tho.

by Anonymousreply 259April 21, 2019 4:20 PM

Here we go

by Anonymousreply 260April 21, 2019 4:25 PM

Those suckers got up early at Coachella to hear this lame muzak. I guess Kanye is still asleep.

by Anonymousreply 261April 21, 2019 4:32 PM

So the plan is the play covers of Kool & The Gang and Stevie Wonder until Ye decides to come out?

by Anonymousreply 262April 21, 2019 4:32 PM

This is the train wreck we all knew it would be.

by Anonymousreply 263April 21, 2019 4:39 PM

The people who heard the dress rehearsal definitely spoke of singing.

There are vids of Sunday Services on Youtube, the musicians and choirs he has worked with are really talented.

Eh, it is pleasant background music for drinking mimosas and coffee.

Ye is a control freak. He may not have slept last night, lol.

Knew we would get some exploitation of the 5 dancing/singing year old. Guess the pimping gene does not fall far from the tree.

It is still in the 70s there, could not ask for a prettier day.

by Anonymousreply 264April 21, 2019 4:39 PM

I do not think it will be a trainwreck, patience is a virtue...

The socks are hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265April 21, 2019 4:42 PM

Since we're live streaming SpaceX is launching Falcon Heavy Rocket in T minus 00:09:30

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266April 21, 2019 4:45 PM

There was some speculation that mics were not working earlier. Has been an issue off and on both weekends.

Thought I saw Kanye already there? Pink hair?

by Anonymousreply 267April 21, 2019 4:50 PM

Ty Dolla $ign can sing.

I cannot look at that camera shot without wanting to throw something at the screen but the music tho.

And no creepy Hillsong perv preachers.

Bringing the black church to the whitest festival on polo grounds on Easter Sunday, love it.

by Anonymousreply 268April 21, 2019 4:58 PM

Everyone who attends this event looks like they might stink.

by Anonymousreply 269April 21, 2019 5:12 PM

Given the temps in the desert, I am sure that is true.

by Anonymousreply 270April 21, 2019 5:35 PM

Geez, all those overweight middle-aged people jumping up and down in the desert heat. I keep waiting for faintings and possible heart attacks. That said the heat's apparently not too bad at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 271April 21, 2019 5:35 PM

Nope, only a little over 80 right now.

Kanye is having a blast.

by Anonymousreply 272April 21, 2019 5:37 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273April 21, 2019 5:39 PM

Chance the Rapper can sing too.

Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 274April 21, 2019 5:40 PM

Brighter Days was amazing.

These singers are really bringing it today.

by Anonymousreply 275April 21, 2019 5:48 PM

I've been and I've done everybo... I mean, everything!!

by Anonymousreply 276April 21, 2019 5:50 PM

We all SAW, R276,

by Anonymousreply 277April 21, 2019 5:51 PM

Barfella

by Anonymousreply 278April 21, 2019 5:55 PM

Laura Lee Fulmer ‏ lauraleefulmer 10m10 minutes ago More When church choir meets go-go meets funk meets gospel meets r&b meets hip hop & returns back to church

These singers & musicians are life!

by Anonymousreply 279April 21, 2019 5:55 PM

Dj 100 K! ‏ @beatsby100k 42s42 seconds ago More

And #Kanye just cried on camera in the arms of DMX and @KidCudi. If you know all three off their stories and battles with mental health you know how much of a moment this is.

by Anonymousreply 280April 21, 2019 6:11 PM

Jesus Walks is intense in that setting

by Anonymousreply 281April 21, 2019 6:17 PM

Cudi brought out Kanye last night for a run through of KSG songs. Great set. Nice to see Kanye performing again and smiling.

And they brought it this morning. What a weekend!

The Cudi set is still on the livestream if you re-wind. Will be unavailable when the stream starts today. Not sure if that means when the Sunday Service re-plays at 3?

by Anonymousreply 282April 21, 2019 6:51 PM

People pay to see Kanye?

by Anonymousreply 283April 21, 2019 6:53 PM

You can stream for free.

If you think Kanye has no talent you must not have watched.

by Anonymousreply 284April 21, 2019 7:03 PM

Kanye has no talent.

by Anonymousreply 285April 21, 2019 7:08 PM

R285 his only talent is the ability to convince people to continue to fund the actions of a raving lunatic

by Anonymousreply 286April 21, 2019 8:21 PM

The Kids See Ghosts performance of Reborn was moving.

by Anonymousreply 287April 21, 2019 8:31 PM

I will never ever go to these events because I hate using public toilets.

by Anonymousreply 288April 21, 2019 8:34 PM

Lucky for you, Coachella has a livestream

by Anonymousreply 289April 21, 2019 8:36 PM

Why oh why is Jaden Smith performing? He's probably the only performer there with such a silly and non-successful career in music. I just watched him perform the same exact song twice in a row with his dad. And yes, I realize Will Smith probably paid for the whole thing but still.

by Anonymousreply 290April 21, 2019 8:57 PM

I think you nailed why, R290. Watched by accident and he had Willow dancing for most the set.

Reason he had such an early time slot.

by Anonymousreply 291April 21, 2019 9:13 PM

Jesus Walks tho.

Some really emotional moments this morning.

DMX was the only thing close to preaching. The rest was just the music on Easter Sunday.

Anyone have a favorite set from Weekend 2 so far?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292April 21, 2019 9:23 PM

For anyone wondering who the --token white guy-- as a friend put it, was during Sunday Service, it was Francis from Francis and the Lights.

They did a really genre blending collab with Kanye and Bon Iver.

by Anonymousreply 293April 21, 2019 9:44 PM

The history of Coachella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294April 21, 2019 9:45 PM

It can be other things too, R294. Still.

In Central America, Lolla is streamed, same with R&L and Glasto in the UK. Coachella, for all its shortcomings, is what we have that is comparable in the US.

A lot of people really enjoyed the livestreams, esp Weekend 1, and were exposed to a lot of good, new to them music. The full sets in Yuma this weekend were dope. And the black church came to the polo fields on Easter Sunday. People at the very white brunch I attended were bopping and humming along, all the way on the East Coast. Music is powerful and it is fun and it brings people together. Music can still be what it is about. Even at Coachella.

Shout out to Blood Orange, discovered by many of us on this thread, thanks to Coachella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295April 22, 2019 3:08 AM

Wow! From PJ Harvey to Harvey Levin. Watch tomorrow on TMZ, all Coachella related :( Even Rod Stewart would call them sellouts :(

by Anonymousreply 296April 22, 2019 6:38 AM

So Coachella is pretty much one big shopping mall, with lots of advertising space?

You don't pay to go into a shopping mall, so why pay to go to Coachella if its making lots of corporate dosh from every company under the sun?

by Anonymousreply 297April 22, 2019 6:54 AM

Coachella seems very Ballardian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298April 22, 2019 6:58 AM

Uh, to hear live music, R297?

Streaming, however, was free.

by Anonymousreply 299April 22, 2019 12:56 PM

You go for the gram, DUHHH.

Also, Kanye is a complete garbage human.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300April 23, 2019 12:59 AM

Not everyone has the same motives, R300. Many people watched and listened to the live stream over the 2 weekends. They were not posting that on social media, they were enjoying the music/performances.

Maybe you need to try a different crowd? Step back from social media a bit? Media in general?

by Anonymousreply 301April 23, 2019 3:33 AM

[quote]Like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, [R150]?

Actually Pink Floyd were first called the Pink Floyd Sound, because their music was initially heavily blues oriented, based on the sound of Pink Anderson and Floyd Council, so not a great example tbh.

And really Led Zeppelin isn’t either — an oxymoron of course and obviously so.

You would have done better to cite a psychedelic band name like the Strawberry Alarm Clock.

by Anonymousreply 302April 23, 2019 10:30 AM

R95 that’s so funny!

by Anonymousreply 303April 23, 2019 10:59 AM

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304April 25, 2019 10:28 PM

R302, please marry me.

by Anonymousreply 305April 26, 2019 5:26 AM

BIG outbreak of Herpes reported there.

by Anonymousreply 306April 26, 2019 6:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!