Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Destroyer- Nicole Kidman

It got so so reviews-

Just finished it on Hulu.

Holy SHIT. Nicole Kidman was amazing and I really enjoyed it-

I really was gobsmacked by her performance- Should have been nominated for the Oscar and I think I would have given it to her!

by Anonymousreply 43April 15, 2019 9:14 AM

I've always liked Nicole Kidman. I'll have to watch this.

by Anonymousreply 1April 11, 2019 11:33 PM

R1- She has always been a fave of mine- but after this she is now in my top 3 with Ms. Lange.

There is a scene with Bradley Whitford on the earlier side of the film that knocked my socks off.

I am beyond shocked that she did not get Oscar traction with this. This was far better than Glenn in The Good Wife-

by Anonymousreply 2April 11, 2019 11:37 PM

Kidman was fine but the makeup was something else. I saw it in the cinema and it was like watching Zombie Nicole Kidman for two hours.

Sebastian Stan tho.

I watched Karyn Kasuma’s previous film The Invitation last weekend, it is worth seeing, with Logan Marshall Green and Tammy Blanchard. It certainly seems like Jordan Peele has seen it.

by Anonymousreply 3April 11, 2019 11:41 PM

Why, did she wear a prosthetic nose, R3?

by Anonymousreply 4April 11, 2019 11:43 PM

R3- I agree, she did NOT need all that makeup-

LOVED THE INVITATION

I am telling you all again. I highly recommend this film.

And I am curious what everyone will think!!

by Anonymousreply 5April 11, 2019 11:47 PM

The Destroyer got a 6 on IMDb, so I will probably pass.

by Anonymousreply 6April 11, 2019 11:48 PM

Hulu has it. Just watched and I liked it much more than I thought I would. Not a classic like a The Invitation but maybe in time. I knew he was in movie but I didn’t realize DL Fave Sebastian Stan was Nicole’s love interest. I also thought instead of a few closeups she looked beautiful in movie.

by Anonymousreply 7April 13, 2019 4:23 AM

I really liked this movie. Much more entertaining than The Wife.

by Anonymousreply 8April 13, 2019 5:03 AM

She was good in Big Little Lies season 1. Now with her side by side with Meryl in season 2 should be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 9April 13, 2019 5:10 AM

skunt will do anything for a nomination.....

luv her ever changing nose jobs...

u can alwys count on nic's face to be 'new' ev year....

by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2019 5:20 AM

Just watched it - total crap. 1/10

by Anonymousreply 11April 13, 2019 5:26 AM

Must we keep rubbing it in that The Wife sucked? I mean have some pity.

by Anonymousreply 12April 13, 2019 6:11 AM

Terrible film

by Anonymousreply 13April 13, 2019 6:32 AM

Poor poor Glennie.

How is that , you poor dear ?

by Anonymousreply 14April 13, 2019 11:20 PM

Enjoyed it. I thought Kidman gave a great, raw performance. I felt she deserved an Oscar nomination. She did some really good work last year with Destroyer and Boy Erased.

I thought I would roll my eyes at her having to play 29 opposite Sebastian Stan but it wasn't that distracting and they had great chemistry.

My only problem is that I think the ending created a plot hole.

by Anonymousreply 15April 13, 2019 11:25 PM

This movie was billed as Ugly Nicole but the exception of a few closeups I thought she never looked better. The color of her hair and the cinematography made her eyes beautiful when she was supposed to be ugly.

by Anonymousreply 16April 14, 2019 1:14 AM

Yes, despite the 20 year age difference you would have never known but Nicole made a good couple with Sexy Man SS.

by Anonymousreply 17April 14, 2019 1:16 AM

Interesting, r6; which "The Destroyer" would that be?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 14, 2019 1:25 AM

I cannot say enough how much I loved Nicole in this role. Between this and Big Little Lies, she has truly become one of my favorites-

Based on the shit I have read about her father, that I 100% believe, she has a darkness in her that really lends herself to these roles.

I am scared of the real Nicole, quite frankly.

But she is a fantastic actress.

ON IMDB, they really eviscerated this film. I wondered if it was the Scienos....

And yes, Sebastian Stan was stunning and also very, very good.

This film stayed with me- still surprised by the hate for the film..

by Anonymousreply 19April 14, 2019 1:33 AM

I read the regular people reviews in IMDb but above poster is right sometimes the posters feel like plants I also read rotten tomatoes even thought I heard the other one is more accurate. What is it called ? Metrocritic ?

by Anonymousreply 20April 14, 2019 1:44 AM

kidman is box office poison (botox princess omg)

who keeps hiring this stepford wife????

by Anonymousreply 21April 14, 2019 1:49 AM

She gets hired because she is a fascinating actress and I assume she makes some money oversees. Also see was the star (for the first 5 minutes) of The big moneymaker Aguaman. It was a hoot to watch her kick ass.

by Anonymousreply 22April 14, 2019 1:55 AM

Overseas.

by Anonymousreply 23April 14, 2019 1:55 AM

She was also in sleeper hit "The Upside" which has quietly made over $100 million dollars. She chooses good projects.

by Anonymousreply 24April 14, 2019 2:00 AM

Ugh. That Kevin guy had another hit.

by Anonymousreply 25April 14, 2019 2:02 AM

Funny how her talent and career long ago surpassed Tommy's, who now just does action pic sequels.

by Anonymousreply 26April 14, 2019 2:42 AM

kidman bleeds the life out of every film she violates with her prescence

by Anonymousreply 27April 14, 2019 4:36 AM

She's never been one of my favorites but I have a lot of respect for her. She has worked with directors such as von Trier, taken on roles in smaller indie movies, did "Big Little Lies", Season 2 of "Top of the Lake", etc. She's had a far more interesting career than a number of her Hollywood peers.

by Anonymousreply 28April 14, 2019 4:46 AM

many more have tanked than have made $$$.....honey

by Anonymousreply 29April 14, 2019 5:25 AM

R16 I think you mean the colour of her wig.

by Anonymousreply 30April 14, 2019 5:35 AM

does she now a days pay to be in b movies??

by Anonymousreply 31April 14, 2019 6:09 AM

I agree with your assessment, R28; she has never been one of my “favorites” either, but her brave and diverse selection of roles has earned my respect!

by Anonymousreply 32April 14, 2019 8:32 AM

She also seems to break the rule about actresses over 40 and 50 not getting good roles.

by Anonymousreply 33April 14, 2019 8:37 AM

R29 that can be said about almost any movie star.

by Anonymousreply 34April 14, 2019 8:38 AM

Hell, she was even good in "Aquaman."

by Anonymousreply 35April 14, 2019 9:25 AM

How was her season in Top of the Lake ?

by Anonymousreply 36April 14, 2019 11:06 AM

I’m curious about that too, R36?

by Anonymousreply 37April 14, 2019 11:50 AM

she made so much from Chanel and her legendary contract with them, she don't gotta work no mo...

by Anonymousreply 38April 14, 2019 12:07 PM

I thought Kidman's performance was great, but her make-up was a bit stupid and the film disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 39April 14, 2019 12:13 PM

R36 & R37 Great! And I'm speaking as a Kidman hater. The character was batshit crazy and Kidman delivered in spades. The series itself Top of the Lake: China Girl had a so-so first episode and a way too tidy it all up last episode but all the episodes in between were very good.

by Anonymousreply 40April 14, 2019 12:36 PM

I wouldn’t recommend Destroyer but if you were interested I wouldn’t dissuade you. Kusama’s previous film The Invitation is more worthy of your time.

by Anonymousreply 41April 14, 2019 2:52 PM

R41 Couldn't agree more.

by Anonymousreply 42April 15, 2019 8:08 AM

That is why most of us are interested in Destroyer we all have seen Invitation and was hoping for more of the same. When the film failed to get any oscar nominations and a major release it was assumed the movie was bad. I watched for free at Hulu while the film wasn't perfect I thought it was pretty good. Who knows it might one day be a cult classic like Invitation.

by Anonymousreply 43April 15, 2019 9:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!