Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Love, Simon' TV Series In Development For Disney+

[quote]Following Disney’s acquisition of 21st Century Fox, the rights for Becky Albertalli’s book have now transitioned over to the Mouse House and they intend to use the property again. Disney is set to develop a ‘Love, Simon’ TV series for the Disney+ streaming service. Elizabeth Berger and Isaac Aptaker, who wrote the screenplay for the 2017 film, are set to executive produce the TV series.

[quote]Production is being eyed to begin in August in Los Angeles. It is currently unknown whether the series will act as a sequel to the 2017 movie or will instead be a reboot and will retell the story once again. The show will release in 2020.

[quote]This is the second LGBTQ+-led show to be announced for Disney+ as the studio also announced a series titled ‘Four Dads.’ The series will focus on when two dads get divorced and then each remarry, they must navigate their new lives whilst raising their teenage daughters. It will begin filming on May 6th in Los Angeles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 24, 2020 9:15 PM

But will they cast a gay lead?

by Anonymousreply 1April 11, 2019 4:52 PM

Never heard of this website so take what they are claiming with a grain of salt. If they do do a Love Simon TV series, Disney would put it on Hulu, not Disney+ (see Disney's recent move of the High Fidelity reboot to Hulu)

by Anonymousreply 2April 11, 2019 5:16 PM

r2 I know, it does seem suspicious because all of the articles seem to be written by the same guy. How would someone like him get this exclusive scoop? Although the tweet below has 1k likes already so... Time will tell, I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 11, 2019 5:24 PM

NO!!!

Simon is a creepy dick!

by Anonymousreply 4April 11, 2019 5:26 PM

The good thing about this is that that insufferable transcult-loving hack Greg BerlANTI won’t be involved.

The bad thing is that Disney will be and that they will probably follow the movie continuity. What we still lack is an actual film version of the source material as it was written with an openly gay male lead and an all-gay cast as absolutely all movies, TV, and theater should be from here on in.

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2019 10:45 AM

Once that self-loathing guinea asshole put trannies on [italic]Supergirl[/italic] I threw out my Blu-Ray of the movie. Critics were too afraid to point out its flaws out of guilt and for fear of not getting more gay teen themed movies after it if it flopped. But it couldn’t even beat that Jason Bateman movie.

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2019 10:49 AM

My Four Dads! Can't wait to see Greg Evigan back on tv.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2019 12:11 PM

Honestly I agree with R4. Simon is not just a creep, he’s an idiot for consenting to cooperating with Martin’s blackmail, and not getting the girl is insufficient comeuppance. He needs to be punished legally. What he did was a fucking crime. If that were me, I would have gladly wrung his neck until it snapped like a goddamn twig. And doing a gay version of a John Hughes teen angst movies is foolish because those weren’t even his best work; [italic]Planes, Trains, and Automobiles[/italic] was.

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2019 12:23 PM

[quote]Never heard of this website so take what they are claiming with a grain of salt.

I was thinking the same thing, this is no name website to have such a big exclusive. I'll believe it once a real outlet reports this.

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2019 12:37 PM

The article I read said the series will be based more on the sequel, Leah On The Offbeat, where Simon is a minor character in a schmoopy happy relationship with Bram and no real stakes. The book centers around Leah being bi and falling for Abby and the two of them becoming a couple.

I loved the first Simon book when I read it years ago, long before a film was even a rumor. I didn’t so much care for the second. I do hope they cast a Simon a bit closer to the one in the book than Nick Robinson - in the book he’s short and kind of dorky with Harry Potter glasses and perpetual bedhead.

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2019 12:44 PM

[quote]I do hope they cast a Simon a bit closer to the one in the book than Nick Robinson - in the book he’s short and kind of dorky with Harry Potter glasses and perpetual bedhead.

Nick Robinson has as much personality as a glass of warm milk. And he doesn’t ping. At all. Zero. Hell, I got stronger gaydar readings from the guys from [italic]Silver Spoons[/italic] and not just Franklyn Seales.

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2019 1:18 PM

[quote] know, it does seem suspicious because all of the articles seem to be written by the same guy

His 'exclusive sources' is most likely a press release.

Deadline and THR also ran it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2019 1:46 PM

So they are doing an adaption of a movie based on a gay male character but changing the focus to a now Bi female character. nice

by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2019 1:55 PM

More str8washing from the Mouse. If they put trans-anything in it, then I’m done with this studio for good.

by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2019 2:06 PM

Love, Simone?

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2019 6:34 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 13, 2019 12:50 AM

r12 Thanks, that makes sense. I googled the news at the time and only his website came up. So the "exclusive" basically just means he published the press release first, ha! Sneaky.

by Anonymousreply 17April 13, 2019 3:45 PM

Geezus, how much material can you get from that book? It was cute movie but the plotline is simple and Simon's life isn't complicated enough to make a series.

Anyone remember Clueless the series? Me either...

by Anonymousreply 18April 13, 2019 4:01 PM

They still managed to get it wrong. They turned it into The Gay Breakfast Club at Waffle House.

by Anonymousreply 19April 13, 2019 4:03 PM

R18 It looks like so far that the tv show will based off the follow up book Leah on the Offbeat and most likely focus on the Leah character. It's also believed that none of actors from the Love Simon movie will be involved with the tv show and that the characters will be recast with new actors.

by Anonymousreply 20April 14, 2019 3:20 AM

Can't wait for the Tv series version of "Brokeback Mountain" that centers on Lureen's early years in the rodeo and the Tv series of "Call me by your Name" that's about the mother's job as a translator.

by Anonymousreply 21April 14, 2019 2:16 PM

Nick Robinson did an admirably job in the Simon role, but he was miscast. It needed an actor a bit more fey.

by Anonymousreply 22April 14, 2019 5:22 PM

I'm not sure this story line has legs for a weekly television series.

by Anonymousreply 23April 15, 2019 12:45 AM

The only way R23, is if they take the CW route, and milk the "will they or won't they" route for 7 seasons. It is insufferable, but I can't say it doesn't work. The CW has been milking this shit for years across many different genres.

by Anonymousreply 24April 15, 2019 12:53 AM

Love, Simon was the high school romantic comedy that critics and audiences both adored last year. The film focused on Jurassic World star Nick Robinson as a closeted gay high school kid who suddenly starts e-mailing with an anonymous fellow closeted classmate, striking up a romance as pen pals. But that spark is threatened when Simon is suddenly forced to be outed by another classmate who accidentally learns about his secret.

As the first popular, studio-sanctioned gay teen romantic comedy, the movie was a smashing success, and that’s what made The Walt Disney Company want to take the valuable Fox 2000 property and turn it into a TV series for Disney+. However, the Love Simon TV series won’t be focusing on the same main character from the movie. Instead, it will follow two new characters and their blossoming romance in high school.

Casting is currently underway for the Love, Simon series at Disney+, and the series lead is meant to be a Latin teenage boy named Victor. He’s described as “closeted, really cute, athletic, well-liked, and warm-hearted.” He’s also a high school soccer star. Aside from the fact that this character isn’t named Simon, that’s a remarkably different character from the original movie.

by Anonymousreply 25May 29, 2019 7:31 PM

[quote]and the series lead is meant to be a Latin teenage boy named Victor

Fuck yes, now I'm excited!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 29, 2019 7:40 PM

how the hell is this considered a "Love, Simon" series then?

by Anonymousreply 27May 29, 2019 7:48 PM

It will star the minor characters from the high school that you saw in the movie, like the gay black kid and the drama teacher.

by Anonymousreply 28May 29, 2019 7:50 PM

r27 Same way as "The Terror" season 2 is still called that, even though it has nothing to do with the book or the first season, which was an adaptation of that book. Probably an anthology sort of thing. Brand recognition is huge these days, so I guess this strategy is now officially a thing.

by Anonymousreply 29May 29, 2019 7:51 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 30May 30, 2019 5:02 PM

Hopefully they pick a good looking latin actor, latinos are underrepresented in hollywood so they better pick a hot one to represent us.

by Anonymousreply 31May 30, 2019 5:09 PM

True

by Anonymousreply 32June 1, 2019 4:44 AM

Will it suck and have a singularly charmless lead just like the movie?

by Anonymousreply 33June 1, 2019 4:47 AM

The cutest Latino ever. I'm in!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 15, 2019 8:36 PM

LOL They moved it to Hulu! Too gay for Disney Plus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 24, 2020 6:06 PM

My nominee for Victor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 24, 2020 6:39 PM

Boycott all things Disney. I honestly would rather watch [italic]Song of the South[/italic] than anything they’re turning out now.

by Anonymousreply 37February 24, 2020 8:19 PM

To me it doesn't look like the audience who watched and liked Love, Simon will be interested in a TV show adapted from the book sequel that doesn't center around Simon, the lead character of Love, Simon. It's like the book sequel of Call Me By Your Name which is mostly about the father and not about Elio and Oliver. Like, who the fuck cares about the dad?

by Anonymousreply 38February 24, 2020 9:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!