Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jeopardy! - Part 16

Who will replace our beloved Alex Trebek???

by Anonymousreply 22412 hours ago

James could have made his record untouchable yesterday, if only he had bet a larger amount (which he could have).

He could have wagered up to $60,000 and still won the game, which would have given him over $130,000.

by Anonymousreply 104/10/2019

Only 54k today lol. The reign continues, but Laura kept it interesting even though she ruined her momentum with the failed DD. Jeff was cute but didn't stand a chance against the other two.

by Anonymousreply 204/10/2019

At least the female contestant wasn't the one who was iced out today.

by Anonymousreply 304/10/2019

Less than an hour until I can watch.....

AND the Stanley Cup playoffs begin tonight....life is good.

by Anonymousreply 404/10/2019

Why does that matter, r3?

by Anonymousreply 504/10/2019

I read somewhere that this week's episodes were taped on February 11, nearly a month before Alex announced his cancer diagnosis on March 6.

by Anonymousreply 604/10/2019

James, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 704/10/2019

Good game - some wacky categories.....

by Anonymousreply 804/10/2019

Alex was rather rude to Jeff with that "You're going back to Canada." remark.

by Anonymousreply 904/10/2019

Her vocal fry was a deal-breaker for me right off, even though I'm incredibly tired of James' runaways and Double searching. How the Canadian homo passed the test I dunno? What's a "nautilus" shell? Do you think James firmalky objected to Bull Run? I got that they were looking for the creek itself right away.

From her frantic buzzer action, James seems to have mastered the timing, as well as knowing a lot. He's going to have to blow a daily double or two to lose.

by Anonymousreply 1004/10/2019

(From the old thread)

[quote]I totally agree with James going after the larger amounts first. Never understood why contestants always go in ascending order.

I always thought it was because the "daily doubles" are usually hidden in the pricier clues. So if you start picking from the $800 or $1000 levels, you could find the DD before you amassed any cash, and would be limited to wagering a small amount. Instead, clean up on the $200 and $400 levels, and you could have two or three thousand before you bump into the DD.

by Anonymousreply 1104/11/2019

I'm glad she's gone: vocal fry and buzzer technique like last month's doctor who went to Columbia.

by Anonymousreply 1204/11/2019

Good gambler, but that's his profession. I think he has good general knowledge but not great. Clearly good in sports, but that's also his profession. And great on the buzzer, but he's no Ken Jennings. Clearly has memorized Oscars, Constitutional Amendments, Canadian geography among others.

by Anonymousreply 1304/11/2019

I couldn't help but notice that following Wednesday's game, James' post-win wandering on the set once again stymied Alex's traditional handshaking routine. Alex seemed to take it in stride.

by Anonymousreply 1404/11/2019

It occurred to me that he's going to get screwed under the new tax laws. There's a cap of $10,000 worth of deduction for all of that California non-resident income tax withheld.

by Anonymousreply 1504/11/2019

Wonder what kind of living he makes in his profession? Does his wife like to live on the edge—or perhaps she has a steady job?

by Anonymousreply 1604/11/2019

Has he mentioned his education, if any?

by Anonymousreply 1704/11/2019

r17: I was wondering about that too. He seems well-enough educated. I think I read online he has a BS in mathematics, can't remember from where. He doesn't mispronounce words, which is rare enough, even among Jeopardy candidates (remember Ken Jennings saying "Titti-an"--I was embarrassed for Ken). Wonder why James never got his teeth/jaw fixed. Guess if you're married with a kid or kids you have other priorities.

by Anonymousreply 1804/11/2019

DL Fave Ben Mankiewicz giving clues for a TCM category!

by Anonymousreply 1904/11/2019

Background article on James from his home town paper Napierville, IL.

by Anonymousreply 2004/11/2019

Close game after the first round!

by Anonymousreply 2104/11/2019

What are some of "those informational children's books" he talked about in r19?

[quote]"They are chock-full of infographics, pictures and all kinds of stuff to keep the reader engaged," he told The Washington Post via email. "I couldn't make it through a chapter of an actual Dickens novel without falling asleep."

by Anonymousreply 2204/11/2019

My guess would be like those 'ZooBooks' kids would get in the mail.

A runaway after DJ for James, but it's closer today. I wonder how much he'll wager in FJ.

by Anonymousreply 2304/11/2019

Wow, lowest amount for champ, but still great! Over the 300k mark.

by Anonymousreply 2404/11/2019

R11, it's also so that you get a feel for the category and eliminate some of the possibilities before you get to the higher dollar clues. For instance, if it is states or months or African countries, etc., you know that they won't be repeated in the category.

by Anonymousreply 2504/11/2019

Thank Godddddd Stephanieeeeeeeee didn'ttttttt wynnnnnnnnnnn.

by Anonymousreply 2604/11/2019

R26, I hated her. Even when she said the category names she sounded like she was asking a question.

by Anonymousreply 2704/11/2019

Glad Alex has a super contestant during this time.

by Anonymousreply 2804/11/2019

No, r27, it's not the "question" voice, it's the draggginnnnng out the last syllablllllle sound. "Question" is upspeak. "Draggginnnnnng" is vocal fry.

by Anonymousreply 2904/11/2019

I hate runaway games. The second he wins his daily doubles, I take the dog out for a walk.

by Anonymousreply 3004/11/2019

I love runaways, I especially love when the margins are huge like James has been doing! I like winners.

by Anonymousreply 3104/11/2019

I hate runaways for days on end. I knew when she gave her first answer I couldn't deal with her for more than a day. No love for gay Lewis Black?

Guessed Olivia Newton-John for final.

by Anonymousreply 3204/11/2019

Today was the first day he looked vulnerable. He missed a couple, didn't know a few others, and missed what was a pretty easy FJ...at least if you're a certain age.

by Anonymousreply 3304/11/2019

And James keeps plugging along. Neither of the others was worth losing James for..... I got FJ only because of the year and number of videocassettes sold.....it couldn't have been a music video....had to be a self help video....Jane Fonda it was.

by Anonymousreply 3404/11/2019

[quote]a pretty easy FJ...at least if you're a certain age.

And James isn't. Nor was Fryyyyy girllllll. You had to be old like the guy on the right and remember the time before MUSIC videos. I am old. I got it.

by Anonymousreply 3504/11/2019

You had to be over 40 to know Jane Fonda did workout videos in the early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 3604/12/2019

I'm rooting for James to stick around for a while. I like him,

Only thing that irritates me about James is the clinched teeth smile. Looks so forced and unnatural.

by Anonymousreply 3704/12/2019

Yeah, he has the most painful smile. It's like he's being tortured into smiling. It's fun when Jeopardy has an extraordinary player but multiple blowout games can get tedious.

by Anonymousreply 3804/12/2019

Guess what, r36.

by Anonymousreply 3904/12/2019

Not a regular Jeopardy viewer, but read that this current crop of shows was taped in February, before his announcement.

by Anonymousreply 4004/12/2019

Maybe you read that at R6.

by Anonymousreply 4104/12/2019

I hope James uses some of his money to get his teeth and jaw fixed. I imagine he was bullied a lot as a kid--maybe it made him the big reader he obviously is.

by Anonymousreply 4204/12/2019

R33, Very surprised that James thought Ella Fitzgerald died in 1959.

FJ was ridiculously easy, but I just turned 67, lol.

by Anonymousreply 4304/12/2019

I missed it today. Did James win. Was a Vocal Fryer one of his opponents?

by Anonymousreply 4404/12/2019

I typically post here early as new episodes air at 3:30 in my area. I also missed today due to a doctor appt. I also want to know what the outcome was today.

by Anonymousreply 4504/12/2019

He cruised again and had a huge FJ bet and a huge win...over 80k.

by Anonymousreply 4604/12/2019

For a teacher/writer, Mike gave some idiotic responses.

We need to see at least one of James' wedding photos with him in swim trunks.

Again, FJ could not have been easier.

WOF indulgence: Both female contestants failed to correctly guess two very obvious puzzles.

by Anonymousreply 4704/12/2019

This James dude sucks and these questions are easy as fuck! I remember this James dickhead was on THE CHASE and I couldn't stand him on there! The Jackie bitch from the runaways was also on the chase and missed every question and she ended up being a fucking five day champ.

by Anonymousreply 4804/12/2019

What's funny, R41, is that I was the poster at R6!

by Anonymousreply 4904/12/2019

What’s funny is you weren’t, R4O. Get lost.

by Anonymousreply 5004/12/2019

But indeed I was, R50.

by Anonymousreply 5104/12/2019

I know it was one of those that where I knew the answer before he finished reading the question.

Mike was indeed quite dense. I like the gal well enough, but by the time she even gained a small amount of traction it was far too late.

I wanted to walk R30's dog after his first Double!

I inferred that the Chippendale get up involved Speedos.

by Anonymousreply 5204/12/2019

James clearly has a monster cock.

by Anonymousreply 5304/12/2019

These games are becoming so boring. I want him to lose ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 5404/12/2019

omfg James is annoying the hell out of me. He seems nice but I hate his grit-smile, I hate how he always finds the daily doubles, I HATE the weird betting values he uses and I REALLY HATE how it's always someone's fucking birthday in his final jeopardy answer.

He's annoying me as much as Austin last year even though he doesn't have those antics.

by Anonymousreply 5504/13/2019

The "Happy Birthday" thing is a bit much. I've never understood that - is it the person's birthday when the show was recorded? Or do the players know in advance what days their episodes will air? And how can he possibly know people (and their DOB) with birthdays on April 8th, April 9th, April 10th, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 5604/13/2019

Alex always refers to holidays that fall on the day a show airs, and special categories are timed to coincide with events like the TCM film festival one this week, so it’s likely the contestants know when their episodes will air.

by Anonymousreply 5704/13/2019

I'm inclined to think that if James had a monster cock then he wouldn't have needed to create a 'monster cock' game plan.

by Anonymousreply 5804/13/2019

Whatever that means, r58.

by Anonymousreply 5904/13/2019

I think his games are thrilling, like watching someone on a tightrope.

by Anonymousreply 6004/13/2019

R60, I agree.

by Anonymousreply 6104/13/2019

I never knew HBO remade Fahrenheit 451. I liked the old one with Julie Christie, but it never got much of a release. I get HBO, but I don't remember seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 6204/13/2019

They know the air dates of the episodes at the time of recording and the contestants know as well.

by Anonymousreply 6304/13/2019

R62, It received a major release in 1966.

by Anonymousreply 6404/13/2019

Thanks for the update, all. Had to attend a play and missed Friday's episode!

Go, James!

by Anonymousreply 6504/13/2019

@R59 . I'm saying that maybe he's compensating.

by Anonymousreply 6604/13/2019

The HBO version was very disappointing. It wasn't terrible but my expectations may have been too high.

by Anonymousreply 6704/13/2019

As of Friday's show, James has the two highest single day cash payouts.

Tuesday = $110,914

Friday = $89,158

Before that Roger Craig's $77,000 was the record.

by Anonymousreply 6804/14/2019

Wired article on James' playing strategy

by Anonymousreply 6904/14/2019

I've grown tired of him. Let me know when he loses.

by Anonymousreply 7004/14/2019

I'm hoping he makes it to at least 10 wins and $500,000.

by Anonymousreply 7104/14/2019

Just as a little aside, there's something strange about how James pronounces the letter R. It's not a genuine speech impediment, like Elmer Fudd has, it's just a…hell, I can't describe it. Just listen to how he pronounces the word "hundred" when he asks for a category. From that point on you'll always be aware of it.

by Anonymousreply 7204/14/2019

r72: With his weird lower jaw, I'm surprised James doesn't have more speech issues. His brain is in good shape, I'll say that. I hope he keeps winning. Having a big champ always brings the eyeballs, so I think the producers will do everything they can to keep the questions in his wheelhouse. He seems like a nice, unpretentious guy, unlike some of the more recent previous big winners.

by Anonymousreply 7304/14/2019

There’s a new commercial airing for April. Says a new record will be broke then you hear Alex saying 2 million dollars.

by Anonymousreply 7404/14/2019

My kid and I love watching James. And I disagree with the poster up thread—I think he is really very smart. I realize Jeopardy seems to be getting easier, but in his first 4 or 5 games, James missed just 4 questions. And, given how many questions he answered, that’s remarkable. Go, James. Live long and prosper!

by Anonymousreply 7504/14/2019

Some stats about James winning streak:

Friday’s show: Las Vegas resident James Holzhauer, 34, won his seventh consecutive game, earning $89,158 to increase his total to $415,035.

In the form of a question: He has answered correctly 219 times in 228 attempts.

Daily Doubles: He’s 14 of 15 for net earnings of $139,689.

Final Jeopardy: He’s 6 of 7.

Single-game earnings: He’s No. 1 with $110,914 and No. 2 with $89,158 in the 35-year history of the game show.

Chasing Jennings: Ken Jennings, of Edmonds, Wash., is the all-time regular play earnings leader with $2,520,700, winning 74 consecutive games in 2004. Holzhauer is fourth on the list with $415,035.

by Anonymousreply 76Last Monday at 12:20 AM

And he was Governor of North Carolina!

by Anonymousreply 77Last Monday at 6:56 AM

LOL r77

They two names are pronounced almost identically, but spelled differently. James Eubert Holshouser was governor of North Carolina from 1973 to 1977.

by Anonymousreply 78Last Monday at 6:59 AM

Good, r78. You need to know politics to compete!

by Anonymousreply 79Last Monday at 8:43 AM

Would "What is Iwo Jima?" have been enough as today's FJ question? I noticed everyone said "raising the flag on" as well. I would simply have written "What is Iwo Jima?"

by Anonymousreply 80Last Monday at 3:34 PM

I thought that too, I would have written "the raising of the flag over Iwo Jima" if I hadn’t run out of time.

by Anonymousreply 81Last Monday at 4:32 PM

The question about the seven orifices had me laughing and counting.

by Anonymousreply 82Last Monday at 4:33 PM

James blowing a DD is an omen.

The lady appeared disgusted as the game progressed.

Yet another FJ a middle school student would know.

by Anonymousreply 83Last Monday at 5:36 PM

R83, an omen? You’re such a savant.

by Anonymousreply 84Last Monday at 6:48 PM

I'm thinking of getting a dog just so I can walk it during the show.

Tonight, I noticed that there was enough of a buzzer lag before he generally rang in with a correct answer, to have given the challengers long enough to ring in if they knew it. It didn't seem as though he was relying solely on buzzer skills to rack up answers.

by Anonymousreply 85Last Monday at 7:11 PM

This was the first game that I was actually worried for James. The guy in the middle was giving him some stiff competition. And James missed a ton of questions.

That said, I'm still glad he won.

Does anyone else think that Alex kind of tempts James into betting it all, just to see him lose? That Alex is a sly one.

by Anonymousreply 86Last Monday at 8:06 PM

damn. I got my hopes up when James blew all his money in the first round but then quickly he got it back.

He needs a smile coach.

How many fucking bdays does he know of?

I hope someone stops him this week

by Anonymousreply 87Last Tuesday at 12:37 AM

What's wrong with me? I'm not attracted to James, but I'm not one bit annoyed by him. He can stay forever AFAIC.

by Anonymousreply 88Last Tuesday at 1:43 AM

How could any faithful Jeopardy! viewer not be enjoying James' juggernaut?

by Anonymousreply 89Last Tuesday at 3:40 AM

[quote]How could any faithful Jeopardy! viewer not be enjoying James' juggernaut?

It's impressive, for sure. But part of the fun for me is watching players compete against each other. I find myself getting bored by his run. There's no drama involved when he's up by $5000 at the first commercial break. There's no strategy involved in the Final Jeopardy wagering. It's like watching one person stand there and run through the board to see how many they get right.

I'm a fan of tennis. I'd much rather watch a match between two players go to a third set tie breaker, than watch a player beat another 6-0, 6-0. I find a 6-0, 6-0 match result impressive, the winner probably played wonderfully, but the match holds no interest for me. Same concept at work here.

by Anonymousreply 90Last Tuesday at 3:51 AM

R90, Just accept it for what it is, something we might never see again, and enjoy watching an exceptional player.

by Anonymousreply 91Last Tuesday at 4:02 AM

R89 asked how someone might not enjoy his run, and I answered. I'm not bitching about him or his achievements, I'm not campaigning for rule changes, etc. I'm just stating that I don't enjoy the shows as much.

I don't know why you think I haven't "accepted it for what it is".

by Anonymousreply 92Last Tuesday at 4:26 AM

I'd like to see a five-day max rule and then automatic qualification for Tournament of Champions.

by Anonymousreply 93Last Tuesday at 4:36 AM

I wish they'd had that rule in place for Ken Jennings, r93.

by Anonymousreply 94Last Tuesday at 4:44 AM

R92, Gee, this could be why . . .

"I find myself getting bored by his run. There's no drama involved when he's up by $5000 at the first commercial break. There's no strategy involved in the Final Jeopardy wagering. It's like watching one person stand there and run through the board to see how many they get right."

by Anonymousreply 95Last Tuesday at 5:25 AM

I love the suspense. Obviously someone will eventually unseat him. It will be thrilling to see exactly how he loses. And his plans for a round-the-world trip with his wife sound wonderful; what a dream trip.

by Anonymousreply 96Last Tuesday at 5:26 AM

You're making zero sense, R95. I've "accepted" him and his accomplishments. What you're quoting from my post is an explanation of why I'm not enjoying his run. It's not that big of a deal. Some people enjoy what he's doing, some people don't. I don't understand why you're making an issue of my response to a direct question.

by Anonymousreply 97Last Tuesday at 5:51 AM

R97, R95 makes more sense than you do.

by Anonymousreply 98Last Tuesday at 6:09 AM

What have I said that doesn't make sense?

Someone asked a question, and I've responded with my opinion. You know, an opinion - like: "ice cream tastes great" or "I like the color blue". You may not agree with my opinion, and that's perfectly ok. But is there something I've said that doesn't make sense?

What doesn't make sense to me is R91 suggesting I've not accepted something, or that I should just enjoy something that...I don't enjoy. Huh?

by Anonymousreply 99Last Tuesday at 6:18 AM

Okay, r99. You've had it quoted back to you once. I'm not going to do that again.

by Anonymousreply 100Last Tuesday at 6:19 AM

So... the fact that I'm bored by runaway Jeopardy victories doesn't make sense?

by Anonymousreply 101Last Tuesday at 6:28 AM

R99, Why don't you end your personal torture and watch Inside Edition at 7:30 PM until James is dethroned?

by Anonymousreply 102Last Tuesday at 6:50 AM

My only problem with James is his horrible lockjaw smile. He can't "learn how to smile better" as someone said above--it's his lower jaw protruding out and meeting his upper teeth--called an underbite or lantern jaw. Undoubtedly he was born with this. He's actually a pleasant enough looking guy otherwise. He tries not to smile with his mouth open obviously. I guess his wife likes him the way he is. He must have made peace with it, grotesque as it is. I wish he'd use his money and get it fixed so we could see him again at some future TOC with a normal smile.

by Anonymousreply 103Last Tuesday at 12:51 PM

Imagine how the other contestant lined up for the slaughter feel. They're effectively competing for second place. I did enjoy the look on his face when he blew that Daily Double. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 104Last Tuesday at 1:16 PM

i like that he's not smug or creepy or hideous. He's a welcome break from the monotony of 1 day champs or worse having obnoxious ones. I am pulling for him to break the all time total $ earned - which I can see him do but not breaking the most wins - mainly due to him being a gambler.

by Anonymousreply 105Last Tuesday at 1:30 PM

Oh, he's plenty obnoxious but I suspect the producers egg him on. Dull is a killer on TV.

by Anonymousreply 106Last Tuesday at 3:54 PM

James does not appear to play well with others. He rarely seems to interact with his fellow contestants. I'm enjoying the ride, but not him, so I'll be okay when his reign is over.

by Anonymousreply 107Last Tuesday at 4:52 PM

R107: Actually, in the first couple of shows he was on, James actually went over and shook hands with other contestants at the end and he wasn't there when Alex came around. Eventually, the producers must have told him to stay in his own slot for the end of the show. Unless I'm mixing him up with another recent contestant, which is possible. My guess is the other contestants are intimidated by him and probably feel cheated out of a chance to win, so they don't talk to him.

by Anonymousreply 108Last Tuesday at 5:11 PM

I guess it's good for the show, but I'm tuning out when he has a huge lead at the first break. He's less human than Watson.

by Anonymousreply 109Last Tuesday at 5:18 PM

Poor Kentucky bluebird......but she did get a couple of questions......

by Anonymousreply 110Last Tuesday at 5:19 PM

I didn't really understand her story, which was sad as those were about the only time she opened her mouth. Sorry about the guy from Urinetown.

I thought Final was all of Ukraine. Had no idea Crimea was so big.

Having trouble believing they're that intimidated. Some of it has to be he's lucked out with not so aggressive opponents.

by Anonymousreply 111Last Tuesday at 7:01 PM

[quote] Imagine how the other contestant lined up for the slaughter feel

Rofl! That's exactly what they look like. Poor things.

Adam kept staring at James throughout the show. I think he had a crush on James.

I felt so sorry for that poor lady with the glasses. As if it wasn't bad enough that she was only able to ring in like 3 times, but then she gets eliminated before Final Jeopardy. How humiliating!

by Anonymousreply 112Last Tuesday at 7:09 PM

Adam wanted James deep inside him.

by Anonymousreply 113Last Tuesday at 7:14 PM

Alex likes him. I think it's great Alex is getting a spectacular champion as he approached his final days.

by Anonymousreply 114Last Tuesday at 7:17 PM

[R107], [R108] As focused as he gets on the game, I like that James laughs at the other contestants' stories (when funny, like today's urine-carrying mascot story) or silly responses; he has a friendly laugh.

by Anonymousreply 115Last Tuesday at 7:29 PM

I would love to know what it's like in the green room where the upcoming contestants are watching the games in progress.

by Anonymousreply 116Last Tuesday at 7:34 PM

The thing I like about James is that he's clearly not a fame whore like Buzzy Cohen or Austin Rogers.

James is strictly about the money and the RUSH.

He's all business.

by Anonymousreply 117Last Tuesday at 7:36 PM

R117, As was Alex Jacob, the professional poker player.

by Anonymousreply 118Last Tuesday at 7:43 PM

Alex said something on Tuesday's show that led me to believe James' run might be fixed. He said something like "James has done so well because he has had categories that suit him well", or something to that effect.

I have noticed in his run that there haven't been any artsy-fartsy categories i.e. Ballet, Classical Music, Art History, Museums and the like.

Am I being paranoid in suggesting that producers are helping James along?

by Anonymousreply 119Last Tuesday at 8:12 PM

I don't think it's fixed for James. James is very strong. It will be interesting to see him against other strong performers in Tournament of Champions. I wonder if he'll flame out like Julia, who seemed to benefit from a fix. Because she was terrible when pitted against fellow champions.

by Anonymousreply 120Last Tuesday at 8:20 PM

R119, Alex specifically asked him how he prepared for the show, and he was kind of evasive. It was basically, "I just shored up the weak areas."

In fact, he said that he was really bad in school, so it doesn't make sense that he would be so good at Jeopardy and trivia. He added only studied what interested him.

So how did he become so good at all-around trivia? It doesn't really make sense, and his explanation didn't help.

by Anonymousreply 121Last Tuesday at 8:24 PM

In thinking about it his story doesn't really add up to me now either. All I can think of is that he has a really good memory and forced himself to learn stuff over several years specifically for raking in jeopardy wins?

Also, he seems to be very lucky in having weak opponents. They seem to have enough time to buzz in if they want to, and you would think that they would know as much as he does on average.

by Anonymousreply 122Last Tuesday at 8:34 PM

FWIW, r122, without any preparation at all—and, of course, without having to deal with the damned buzzer—I am getting more right answers lately than at any time in Jeopardy history. Or, at least at any time in my history of watching (which is not every day).

by Anonymousreply 123Last Tuesday at 8:38 PM

and let's make sure Alex leaves the show with a big win.

by Anonymousreply 124Last Tuesday at 8:42 PM

Reba McEntire is almost assuredly being named Alex's successor. You heard it here first.

by Anonymousreply 125Last Tuesday at 9:45 PM

Are James’ opponents really weak? Or is it just that James is so strong? A player as good as James doesn’t happen very often, so of course the others will look weak.

As a teacher, I was disappointed when James said he hated school. Yeah, I realize that’s foolish.

Count me in with those who don’t understand those who are bored with these games. I think it’s a kick to see someone get a big lead by making a huge bet, or by betting it all, or by wagering $40k on FJ. It’s more fun than 3 average players with around $9k each while one of them is clicking furiously.

by Anonymousreply 126Last Tuesday at 9:52 PM

I would never watch again, r125.

by Anonymousreply 127Last Tuesday at 9:54 PM

I'll give James credit, at least he understands what he's there to accomplish and what the purpose of the Daily Double is. How many times per month do you hear Alex tell some deadhead that if they made it a true Daily Double they could take the lead, or tie, or at least get close, and then they make some pussy bet that doesn't accomplish a damned thing? Come on, try to win and stop being so scared of not being around for final Jeopardy.

What I've never understood is when a player hits the Daily Double with about a minute left, they're behind, and the DD could give them a shot, and they don't take it even though they know the category, and they've seen the clues that have already been revealed. Then, when final Jeopardy rolls around a minute later they make a huge bet, basically betting blind. Sorry, but the time to show some balls was when you had the Daily Double all to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 128Last Tuesday at 9:56 PM

I'd say I know maybe two-thirds of the answers that James gets. Honestly, most people know a lot of answers because they read a lot. However, he said he hated school and had nothing to do with things that didn't interest him. I just think it would take an awful lot of cramming to really fill in the weak spots, as he puts it.

The other factor has to do with timing. I have tried paying attention the last couple of days checking out the response time after the question is asked. I can now tell the difference between a contestant like him buzzing in right away when they absolutely know the answer, and a small amount of lag time where they have to do at least some sort of thinking. I don't notice him buzzing in immediately almost every single time. There seems to be, often enough, a lag time where they each have a chance to buzz in. However, the challengers rarely take advantage of that, as though time after time they just don't know the answer. They seem to appear to be either intimidated, or they just don't know much, so he's been really lucky with lame opponents.

For what it's worth, I should make it clear I was not a regular viewer during the Ken Jennings days.

Also, it's not that I dislike him personally, he seems like a decent enough guy. I have just tired of him as a runaway contestant like this. Two sides of the coin, where I can't understand how others are just fine with this lopsided action.

by Anonymousreply 129Last Tuesday at 10:20 PM

Julie Chen Moonves after Alex leaves.

by Anonymousreply 130Last Tuesday at 10:31 PM

I'm sick of him. I hate his betting values and I hate his constant birthday wishes. Tomorrow will he write "happy birthday no one again"?

by Anonymousreply 131Last Wednesday at 12:42 AM

I believe some of you are over thinking this.

James crammed for the show like every contestant does or should do.

So what if he hated school? Lots of people did.

I have not enjoyed watching a contestant amass so much money in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 132Last Wednesday at 2:21 AM

Me too, r132! But I've never felt sadder for a contestant in a long time than I did for the poor woman last night. She even looked like she was wearing one of those false nose and glasses contraptions. Wonder how she would have done against an average competitor and not James.

by Anonymousreply 133Last Wednesday at 7:12 AM

A few of the second place competitors against James have been able to amass $10K or $12K, which normally is a good total. But James' strategy of grabbing all the $1K and $2K questions early, finding so many Daily Doubles and betting so high, is what has set him so far apart.

For him to go down, a player is going to have to beat him at his own game - play from the bottom of the board, scoop up all the $1K and $2K answers, then hit a DD and bet it all. And hope for the best. It would be very cool to see 2 contestants with $30K each go into a FJ and have to bet big.

by Anonymousreply 134Last Wednesday at 7:56 AM

REba McIntyre - they're not going to go with a hillbilly host...she can't pronounce Liechtenstein or Aeschylus, or Peloponnesian.

by Anonymousreply 135Last Wednesday at 8:04 AM

I think the most likely scenario for a James loss is for him to miss Final Jeopardy in a "close" game. For example, he leads with $25,000 and the 2nd place person has $13,000. It's not really close as James still dominates the game but it's not a runaway. Then he gets his HR Block question (for those who know what happened to Ken Jennings). James has to get the FJ wrong and the 2nd place contestant has the balls to bet big and get it right.

It would have to be really bad board of questions for James to not lead going into FJ.

by Anonymousreply 136Last Wednesday at 10:18 AM

Or a day where the categories align with a challenger's knowledge base.

by Anonymousreply 137Last Wednesday at 10:58 AM

As has happened in the past, James will probably be vanquished by a one day wonder contestant who got lucky.

by Anonymousreply 138Last Wednesday at 11:42 AM

"Fuck! " - Julie Chen Moonves

by Anonymousreply 139Last Wednesday at 2:11 PM

No one has even been close to being within contention at the end. He is very impressive. You have no idea how difficult it is to have a runaway game let alone 10 of them without breaking a sweat.

by Anonymousreply 140Last Wednesday at 3:53 PM

Anyone else getting into the habit of not watching the second half of the show when Mr. Teeth has a huge lead after the first round?

by Anonymousreply 141Last Wednesday at 4:17 PM

He's making it seems so easy. Just like that - he now occupies the top 4 (or 5?) highest single day winnings. Before his reign is over, he probably will have all top 10 by himself . Incredible!

by Anonymousreply 142Last Wednesday at 4:41 PM

When does this season end? How many more shows with Mr. smiley???

by Anonymousreply 143Last Wednesday at 4:46 PM

I enjoy watching him because it's such an impressive achievement. It was also interesting seeing his immediate reaction about school and how he hated it. I'm sure he was always super intelligent but really only want to read and study what HE wanted to read and study, not what someone else wanted him to do.

by Anonymousreply 144Last Wednesday at 5:01 PM

His tribute to Granny was genuinely touching.

by Anonymousreply 145Last Wednesday at 5:07 PM

I agree, r145. He was quite emotional.

by Anonymousreply 146Last Wednesday at 5:11 PM

We think James has a photographic memory. R143 I think he will be there for awhile. Perhaps, it was a coincidence, but his web site popped up when he joined Jeopardy.

by Anonymousreply 147Last Wednesday at 5:40 PM

Their accountants must hate him and probably fear similar folks getting on.

by Anonymousreply 148Last Wednesday at 7:48 PM

so he ran out of birthdays and will now start shouting out relatives and friends.

by Anonymousreply 149Last Wednesday at 8:29 PM

Most gamblers are hugely superstitious so he probably feels like he HAS to write something extra down now every day.

by Anonymousreply 150Last Wednesday at 8:37 PM

From the New York Post:

Holzhauer has taken the show by storm with his strategy of aggressively going all in on Daily Doubles.

“When I watch at home, I always root for the contestants to bet big on Daily Doubles,” he said after a win last week. “They get them right most of the time, and it can give them a big leg up on the competition. I’m proud of myself for sticking to that attitude when it was my money on the line.”

The Chicago-area native also has revealed that he studied children’s books to supplement his trivia knowledge before appearing on the show.

“The books there are filled with pictures and fun facts, and they’re a great way to learn the nuts and bolts of any subject,” he told the Naperville Sun.

by Anonymousreply 151Last Thursday at 12:35 AM

That kingjamesholzhauer.com is a fan site, and says it’s not affiliated with James or anyone in his family, etc.

[quote]King James Holzhauer is an unofficial fan site dedicated to James Holzhauer. Our purpose is to promote interest in James Holzhauer and his Jeopardy! appearance(s). We are in no way officially affiliated with James Holzhauer, his friends, or his family. This is a site made by a fan for the fans. All materials on this site are for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is ever intended. Picture copyright is owned by the respective photographers. If you want to see pictures on this website removed, please specify which ones and give us time to remove these before taking any further action. If you are a copyright holder and wish credits on your images or articles, please let me know and we will be glad to add them.

by Anonymousreply 152Last Thursday at 7:24 AM

r152 Sure, uh huh. We all believe that,

by Anonymousreply 153Last Thursday at 9:06 AM

In a way he's quite refreshing. I wonder if he's as successful at sports betting as he is at Jeopardy. I'm just glad he's not a pushy New York or LA lawyer. He is beatable, but it will take a combination of luck and knowledge to do it. A great deal of his success is his mastery of the buzzer.

by Anonymousreply 154Last Thursday at 9:17 AM

Alex looked uncomfortable when James said that "all the bookies know me."

It made him seem a little bit shady.

by Anonymousreply 155Last Thursday at 11:34 AM

If you look up babyface in the dictionary, you will find a photo of Gregory.

He also looks like that British actor who plays the autistic doctor in that tv show.

by Anonymousreply 156Last Thursday at 12:32 PM

Gregory is also family.

by Anonymousreply 157Last Thursday at 12:38 PM

Didn't register to me that James was part Asian.

by Anonymousreply 158Last Thursday at 12:39 PM

How could you not tell, R158?

It's all in the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 159Last Thursday at 12:46 PM

I know several squinty-eyed people who aren't Asian.

by Anonymousreply 160Last Thursday at 12:48 PM

^r158

by Anonymousreply 161Last Thursday at 12:49 PM

He looks more oriental here, than anything else, R158.

Doesn't look part white at all, to me.

by Anonymousreply 162Last Thursday at 12:51 PM

Jesus christ! Samantha and Gregory deserved to lose with those FJ answers!

by Anonymousreply 163Last Thursday at 12:59 PM

I think the finals have been unusually easy for finals. Part what Asian? I would guess Korean.

by Anonymousreply 164Last Thursday at 1:34 PM

How do we know he's part Asian?

by Anonymousreply 165Last Thursday at 1:42 PM

R165, because Connor Jessup wants to fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 166Last Thursday at 1:46 PM

He said today his late grandma (mentioned yesterday) moved from Japan to help raise him.

by Anonymousreply 167Last Thursday at 1:47 PM

[quote] Part what Asian?

Does it matter? Nobody cares.

by Anonymousreply 168Last Thursday at 1:47 PM

R164 yes the fj questions have been easy lately, but today, especially with how Alex read the clue, a third grader could've gotten the answer right!

by Anonymousreply 169Last Thursday at 1:54 PM

James does bear a resemblance to Dean Cain, also part Asian.

by Anonymousreply 170Last Thursday at 2:44 PM

He mentioned on the first or second show that he had lived in Japan for a while when he was a kid, so I assumed with his looks he was part Japanese.

by Anonymousreply 171Last Thursday at 4:11 PM

James was the subject of David Muir's final segment on tonight's ABC Evening News.

by Anonymousreply 172Last Thursday at 5:58 PM

I see Richard Gere when I look at him.

by Anonymousreply 173Last Thursday at 6:03 PM

Japanese, yes. I was close with Korean. I always thought Chinese were the smartest Asians.

by Anonymousreply 174Last Thursday at 6:28 PM

I think he really is benefiting from much weaker opponents.

At this point, as I can be as shallow as the next guy, I may just check the contestants that morning and unless there's a particularly attractive one, I think I may consider skipping the show until James is finished.

Alex was most definitely not down with the drag queen story from Beto, Jr. Gal's top was not exactly flattering.

by Anonymousreply 175Last Thursday at 7:01 PM

The lady in the middle looked PISSED at the end of the game.

She must have waited years to appear on the show, and then.... BAM. She comes up against James. Like a "lamb to slaughter."

I know that i'd be pissed.

by Anonymousreply 176Last Thursday at 7:19 PM

At least her tits were 6" higher than the majority of female Jeopardy! contestants, Mr. C.

The hauling a boatload of drag queens to Fire Island story was just plain stupid.

by Anonymousreply 177Last Thursday at 7:19 PM

Art Fleming turned over in his grave.

by Anonymousreply 178Last Thursday at 8:24 PM

I had to work late and missed today's show. Is it anywhere online?

by Anonymousreply 179Last Thursday at 8:39 PM

R178, Art Fleming was cremated.

Art Fleming

BIRTH 1 May 1924

New York, USA

DEATH 25 Apr 1995 (aged 70)

Crystal River, Citrus County, Florida, USA

BURIAL Cremated. Ashes scattered at sea.

by Anonymousreply 180Last Thursday at 8:49 PM

James is to Jeopardy as Julia Louis-Dreyfus is to the Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 181Last Friday at 3:45 AM

[quote]I think he really is benefiting from much weaker opponents.

I'm not so sure. The guy on the other end was hitting the button like crazy yesterday, but James was beating him almost every time.

What I don't understand is that when the other contestants did get a chance to select a question, they went right back to the top of the board even though it was obvious that a Daily Double was there to be had at the bottom. That happened twice yesterday, and both times James got control back, went back to the bottom and hit the Daily Double.

by Anonymousreply 182Last Friday at 4:17 AM

[quote]The lady in the middle looked PISSED at the end of the game.

She looked like she was in a mood during most of the game, in contrast to the Fire Island guy, who seemed amused that he didn't have a chance in hell of winning the game.

by Anonymousreply 183Last Friday at 4:21 AM

"C. King" made it obvious that Aquaman was the FJ answer, if you know your DC heroes. Otherwise, nothing in the clue to narrow it down to the King of the Seas.

by Anonymousreply 184Last Friday at 4:22 AM

I have always thought that if I were playing, I would choose across the bottom and work my way up.

by Anonymousreply 185Last Friday at 4:22 AM

Fire Island drag story was one of the most pointless stories a contestant has ever offered on Jeopardy.

by Anonymousreply 186Last Friday at 4:23 AM

I did not know this existed until now.

by Anonymousreply 187Last Friday at 4:24 AM

I know nothing about superheroes, so would have bombed badly. I thought the pun of the clue was "seeking" rather than Sea King.

by Anonymousreply 188Last Friday at 4:27 AM

I wonder what surprises James has in store for us tonight?

Poor Art......thanks for the info R180.

by Anonymousreply 189Last Friday at 6:35 AM

Do the contestants on deck know about James' performance and strategy, or have they been perfectly sequestered against it? I would think that the third-place person who goes first in Double Jeopardy ought to pick a mid-level clue in the hopes of at least blocking one of his Daily Doubles? Moreover, his recent disclosure that he's been watching Jeopardy since he was a kid leads me to believe that he's been collecting trivia knowledge for a while, in hopes of being on the show.

The other guy tonight looks fairly cute, so my shallow self will be tuning in.

by Anonymousreply 190Last Friday at 7:17 AM

If the other contestants didn't know about his winning streak, they do know seconds before they start the game and James' total winnings is announced.

by Anonymousreply 191Last Friday at 7:24 AM

Not a Jeopardy habitué, but I know that they long ago lifted the 5-game limit rule. Is there no prohibition on how long this can go on?

by Anonymousreply 192Last Friday at 7:31 AM

Jeopardy must be a gold mine. I remember when it first came back into syndication seeing local channels writing it off as "boring." It seemed to do spectacularly well with Trebek over the years, and now seems like an institution that the previous version never came close to being.

I think it's popularity with certain demographic groups keeps it going. I notice a lot of high end products get advertised on the show like SUVs and pickup trucks and GEICO of course.

by Anonymousreply 193Last Friday at 7:50 AM

I wasn't watching regularly back in the day, but wasn't Ken Jennings on for several weeks?

by Anonymousreply 194Last Friday at 7:50 AM

Assuming James's run is lengthy, they really should have some plan to bring back the best of his vanquished opponents so they can have a realistic shot at winning.

by Anonymousreply 195Last Friday at 8:17 AM

[quote]Assuming James's run is lengthy, they really should have some plan to bring back the best of his vanquished opponents so they can have a realistic shot at winning.

That is a GREAT idea! It's only fair.

by Anonymousreply 196Last Friday at 8:23 AM

[quote]Assuming James's run is lengthy, they really should have some plan to bring back the best of his vanquished opponents so they can have a realistic shot at winning.

They should have been doing that for years. Bring back the top scoring non-winners and let them go at it. There's a ton of really good players every year who don't win for whatever reason but deserve a second chance.

by Anonymousreply 197Last Friday at 8:31 AM

Tournament of Non-Champions!

by Anonymousreply 198Last Friday at 11:12 AM

Tournament of Losers

by Anonymousreply 199Last Friday at 11:20 AM

Tournament of Lost to James

by Anonymousreply 200Last Friday at 11:37 AM

Ken Jennings reign lasted for quite a while - something like 77 or so shows. King James has a ways to go. That wonky eye scares me.

by Anonymousreply 201Last Friday at 12:32 PM

Yes, but James is doing only his 11th show today, and is already almost halfway to Ken's total.

James is having an iffy start today.

by Anonymousreply 202Last Friday at 12:34 PM

The post was about how long was Jennings run, not who made more money.

by Anonymousreply 203Last Friday at 12:41 PM

It's all about the Benjamins

by Anonymousreply 204Last Friday at 12:44 PM

But he bounced back quite nicely lol

Champ has passed the $850k mark!

by Anonymousreply 205Last Friday at 12:58 PM

R190, the players are only sequestered during a tournament where it matters how much you end up with even if you don't win. The other contestants get to watch the games recorded before theirs. You can tell others have seen him because now some are starting to try to play like him by going to the biggest clue values first, not that it helps them.

It also isn't that the other contestants aren't smart enough. You can't even get on the show without doing very well on the test. He has the ringing in thing down cold and he is also exceedingly bright.

by Anonymousreply 206Last Friday at 2:00 PM

So are his teeth.

by Anonymousreply 207Last Friday at 2:02 PM

The buzzer system is extremely difficult to get a hang of, you need to predict when a question will end within a quarter of a second. It often takes over half the game for a new contestant to get the hang of, by which time it's too late. Very much benefits the incumbent.

by Anonymousreply 208Last Friday at 2:14 PM

Ken Jennings won 74 games, earning $2.5 million.

His shows aired between June 2, 2004 and Nov. 30, 2004. His 74 episode run was paused for several special tournaments and summer reruns in August.

Jeopardy currently has no limit to how many games a contestant can win.

by Anonymousreply 209Last Friday at 2:47 PM

I actually liked the two contestants tonight. Maybe they knew James was going to continue his streak so they just said heck it and had some fun.

by Anonymousreply 210Last Friday at 4:00 PM

Yeah, the contestants try to start strong, but once James gets ahead by over 10k, they know what's happening. But every contestant from now on, wants to be the one to take James down.

by Anonymousreply 211Last Friday at 4:12 PM

[R208] I believe it was Alex Jacobs who said clicking a toilet paper holder helped him practice for the buzzer.

by Anonymousreply 212Last Friday at 5:17 PM

The action of clicking isn't a problem; it's the timing of it based on the lights around the board. You have to anticipate is just right based on Alex ending the reading of the question and the returning champ definitely has the advantage.

by Anonymousreply 213Last Friday at 5:19 PM

I want carnal knowledge of Gregory.

by Anonymousreply 214Last Friday at 8:00 PM

Also, Samantha's tits were a bit weird.

by Anonymousreply 215Last Friday at 8:06 PM

I'm very sorely tempted to read the comments here so that the next show I watch will be the one where he finally loses. I'm sure James is a nice enough guy, and I don't at all begrudge him the money, but at this point I would almost rather just see an entire show with Watson alone. These continuous runaways are incredibly dreary.

by Anonymousreply 216Last Friday at 9:00 PM

R216, you’re dreary. Seriously, go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 217Last Friday at 9:53 PM

Very disappointed in Mr. C.

The James games could not be more enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 218Last Friday at 10:13 PM

I thought it might get him, but he rolled through that opera category in impressive fashion today.

by Anonymousreply 219Last Friday at 11:05 PM

I love watching James.

by Anonymousreply 220Yesterday at 3:51 AM

LOL - there's a Progressive Insurance commercial that has a game show with a contestant like James....most amusing. Game Show Gary.....

by Anonymousreply 221Yesterday at 6:38 AM

I cannot wait for the episode where James totally annihilates his competition by correctly answering EVERY SINGLE CLUE on the board.......his opponents at the end of Double .Jeopardy both at zero and not qualifying for final.....

History making! And, fixed!

by Anonymousreply 222Yesterday at 6:53 AM

If the shows we're seeing were taped in February, could James still have been the reigning champion when the Jeopardy! season ended last week?

by Anonymousreply 223a day ago

Hopefully James goes down this week.

the final jeopardy question on Friday was quite easy

by Anonymousreply 22412 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!