Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Fosse/Verdon" Series Premiere, 4/9/19: "Life is a Cabaret"

Who's watching?

by Anonymousreply 601April 21, 2019 10:03 PM

What channel?

by Anonymousreply 1April 10, 2019 1:58 AM

F/X

by Anonymousreply 2April 10, 2019 1:59 AM

Ugh the wig on Michelle is awful.

by Anonymousreply 3April 10, 2019 2:03 AM

She does sort of look like Gwen Verdon though.

by Anonymousreply 4April 10, 2019 2:13 AM

She's prettier than Gwen. Gwen would never have been cast to play herself.

On stage she was a star, in front of a camera she wasn't. Just like Haney.

by Anonymousreply 5April 10, 2019 2:28 AM

Who's playing Liza?

by Anonymousreply 6April 10, 2019 2:31 AM

Kelli Barrett, r2.

by Anonymousreply 7April 10, 2019 2:33 AM

Año hone know if I can stream it anywhere? I don’t get F/X.

by Anonymousreply 8April 10, 2019 2:42 AM

[quote]Ugh the wig on Michelle is awful.

It's perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 10, 2019 2:47 AM

They are playing around with the time but it seemed they were talking about "Sweet Charity" and Gwen said she and Nicole went past The Ziegfeld and there was a line but "Cabaret" played but Charity played The Rivoli on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 10April 10, 2019 2:52 AM

r10, maybe you want to rethink that sentence? It doesn't make sense.

by Anonymousreply 11April 10, 2019 2:53 AM

sorry... Cabaret played The Ziegfeld and Charity played The Rivoli.

by Anonymousreply 12April 10, 2019 2:57 AM

It's deeply important you get it right!

by Anonymousreply 13April 10, 2019 3:08 AM

If not for the voice, I would have never guessed that was Paul Reiser playing Fosses agent, Cy.

by Anonymousreply 14April 10, 2019 3:13 AM

It's an odd decision to have so many Broadway stars playing the parts when (since they got Rockwell and Williams to do the series) they probably could have had actual names most everyone other than Broadway queens would recognize.

I'm glad they are giving these good Broadway actors some work, though.

by Anonymousreply 15April 10, 2019 3:15 AM

I was so bored. Sam Rockwell is so flat and dull as Fosse. How do you make Fosse boring?

This makes me appreciate All That Jazz and Roy Scheider that much more. He really captured the layers of Fosse and why people were drawn to him.

by Anonymousreply 16April 10, 2019 3:15 AM

It's hard to think who the audience for Murphy shows is other than gay people and their admirers, but in an era of niche programming, probably gay people and their admirers is enough of an audience. Especially when its going to be a more upscale demographic among them than Bravo gets.

by Anonymousreply 17April 10, 2019 3:30 AM

Its not a Murphy production. Lin Manuel Miranda is one of the executive producers....its a Fox 21 television production.

by Anonymousreply 18April 10, 2019 3:36 AM

. I think the problem is Sam Rockwell. He's an excellent character actor but lacks the charisma needed to play this part. The relationship between Fosse and Verdon isn't that interesting. She put up with his crap. That's it.

I'm trying to think who should have played Fosse... Jude Law, Ben Affleck, , somebody with more sex appeal than Rockwell for sure.

by Anonymousreply 19April 10, 2019 3:45 AM

And Aya Cash looked like she was acting in some high school production. Terrible.

by Anonymousreply 20April 10, 2019 3:47 AM

What's the countdown to - his death?

I saw Dancin' in Chicago years ago, maybe around 1979. Such fun.

by Anonymousreply 21April 10, 2019 3:48 AM

Ben Affleck would be too tall and too fat, and I don't think either he or Jude Law can dance well enough.

by Anonymousreply 22April 10, 2019 3:48 AM

R19 Maybe some man who can dance?

by Anonymousreply 23April 10, 2019 3:48 AM

Another problem Rockwell has, I believe, is Roy Scheider's presence is still deeply felt with any Fosse fan. You'd have never thought it before ATJ came out, but Scheider turned out to be brilliant casting. He wasn't a dancer, but he had that middle-aged sinewy body and was really able to sell it. And he wasn't particularly good looking, but dammit, he was sexy. But only in that movie!

And to think, originally it was supposed to be Richard Dreyfuss. That would have been awful!

by Anonymousreply 24April 10, 2019 3:55 AM

**another fun fact about 1979's All That Jazz. Fosse's first choice before Dreyfuss? It was Paul Newman!

by Anonymousreply 25April 10, 2019 3:57 AM

[quote] Another problem Rockwell has, I believe, is Roy Scheider's presence is still deeply felt with any Fosse fan.

It's nice they appointed you to speak for all of them.

by Anonymousreply 26April 10, 2019 3:59 AM

I thought Scheider was hot in Marathon Man too. I didn't know Newman had been considered for All That Jazz. I can't picture it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 10, 2019 4:01 AM

Well, he is kinda right r26. Scheider's performance is iconic, brilliant and truly captured Fosse's spirit and style.

Rockwell is dour, charmless and unsexy in this role.

by Anonymousreply 28April 10, 2019 4:03 AM

This is a horrible show. Only Broadway queens will like it.

by Anonymousreply 29April 10, 2019 4:06 AM

R26 I know, huh???

by Anonymousreply 30April 10, 2019 4:07 AM

Does Michelle do the Verdon voice?

by Anonymousreply 31April 10, 2019 4:09 AM

"I didn't know Newman had been considered for All That Jazz."

It was very early on. It might have been mentioned in the IMDB trivia section among other places. It might have been more about Fosse's fantasy to have the most beautiful man in Cinema history play him.

by Anonymousreply 32April 10, 2019 4:09 AM

Hated the theatrical flashbacks inserted into the scenes (keep that technique in the theater please) but loved everything else.

Williams sounds exactly like Verdon. She’s doing a great job.

And executive producer Nicole Fosse made sure there was plenty of her in it. A little too much. Her bits are meh.

by Anonymousreply 33April 10, 2019 4:11 AM

Honestly, I just want to see Liza. Fosse’s art interests me, his personality doesn’t.

by Anonymousreply 34April 10, 2019 4:12 AM

I'm halfway thru, really, I think I'd rather be watching All That Jazz for the 20th time, (except for Michelle Williams).

by Anonymousreply 35April 10, 2019 4:14 AM

Yeah, Michelle is fine. The rest, meh.

by Anonymousreply 36April 10, 2019 4:14 AM

"Yes. I turned down 'All That Jazz,' which was a great mistake. I didn't think the character [which won Ray Scheider an Oscar nomination last year] was redeemable. And, of course, I didn't take Bob Fosse [the director] into consideration. It was a dumb, dumb mistake!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 10, 2019 4:24 AM

Ugh. The Liza stuff was just awful.

by Anonymousreply 38April 10, 2019 4:36 AM

I actually liked the Liza they got.

by Anonymousreply 39April 10, 2019 4:53 AM

^I did too.

by Anonymousreply 40April 10, 2019 5:10 AM

It's a weird show. That's not much drama to it except for the countdown to Fosse's death, and it's hard to care about that all that much since he seems to pop off as it is at any minute (even though it's 19-15 years away in this episode). It's not like "Feud," where they had the constant battle of wills between the two main women to keep the dramatic interest going.

I'll keep watching because I love the period and the atmospheric recreations, and I think Broadway queens will watch it for the same reason. But they didn't find much of a way for other people to care about it. I will bet it's a ratings flop.

by Anonymousreply 41April 10, 2019 5:27 AM

R37 Wow. Thanks for finding and posting that. It would have been a very different movie.

It's funny. The movie alludes to the fact that a lot of the women who sleep with Fosse do so hoping to get a part in one of his musicals; something Fosse himself believed and used to his advantage. But if Newman had played the role, hell, they'd have slept with him because he looked like Paul Newman!! haha

by Anonymousreply 42April 10, 2019 5:39 AM

I also feel like it's trying to make us feel sorry for the young Bobby, and I don't much. (That was a problem with the movie, too.) All young dancers have to work hard, and are exposed to sex very early.

by Anonymousreply 43April 10, 2019 5:40 AM

I love it. Fosse/Verdon is fascinating. I haven't been this transfixed since Feud/Davis-Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 44April 10, 2019 5:44 AM

[quote]If not for the voice, I would have never guessed that was Paul Reiser playing Fosses agent, Cy.

Cy isn't Fosse's agent. He's Cy Feuer, who produced the film "Cabaret."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 10, 2019 6:04 AM

Who's Bob Fosse & Gwen Verdon?

by Anonymousreply 46April 10, 2019 6:08 AM

The Liza performer did a great job mimicking her voice and affect and gestures, but was much prettier than Liza.

The Shirley McLaine actress looked nothing like Shirley, which was weird since that's all she had to do..

Michelle Williams did a fantastic job evoking Gwen Verdon both physically and vocally..

by Anonymousreply 47April 10, 2019 6:10 AM

There’s only one Liza Minnelli, which the recreations make abundantly clear.

by Anonymousreply 48April 10, 2019 6:12 AM

Well, then why complain?

by Anonymousreply 49April 10, 2019 6:16 AM

[quote] Who's Bob Fosse & Gwen Verdon? —Mrs. Jay-Z

Oh you remember, honey: the choreographer and his wife from whom you stole your moves for the "Single Ladies" video.

by Anonymousreply 50April 10, 2019 6:18 AM

R50, Bey didn't just steal Fosse and Verdon's moves for "Single Ladies," her whole "Get Me Bodied" video is an homage to "Sweet Charity."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 10, 2019 6:33 AM

I'm surprised Lin-Marie didn't cast himself as Jack Cole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 10, 2019 7:18 AM

I enjoyed the first episode

by Anonymousreply 53April 10, 2019 8:33 AM

I liked the first episode but I doubt I will watch the whole series since it really doesn't have a plot you need to follow

by Anonymousreply 54April 10, 2019 8:49 AM

still cant believe someone greenlit this. Haven't seen it yet, but this is so ultra-niche it sounds like it was produced just for the DL. And i'm afraid ratings will soon prove me right.

by Anonymousreply 55April 10, 2019 9:01 AM

R55 Well, not everything needs to be tailored to the DWTS & Real Housewives crowd.

R51 "homage" - that's cute.

by Anonymousreply 56April 10, 2019 9:18 AM

[quote]Who's watching?

Not me. Strike one: Ryan Murphy. Strike two: LMM. Strike three: made by a subsidiary of IgerCorp (née Disney).

YerrrrrrrrrrOUT!

by Anonymousreply 57April 10, 2019 10:17 AM

r57 I don't think Ryan Murphy is involved with this

by Anonymousreply 58April 10, 2019 10:29 AM

Is All that Jazz streaming anywhere? I googled and searched all my tv platforms.

by Anonymousreply 59April 10, 2019 10:37 AM

r52: So Jack Cole is in it then?

by Anonymousreply 60April 10, 2019 11:00 AM

His character should be since Verdon left him to work with Fosse. To be played by Christopher Tocco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 10, 2019 11:13 AM

The comparisons to Roy Scheider are ridiculous. Claiming that he better captured Fosse...unless you knew him personally, you would never know.

I suspect that Rockwell is much closer to the real man. Roy Scheider was Fosse's fantasy of himself. Roy Scheider was who he wanted to be. The few people i know who knew or met Fosse in the 70s describe him as kind of skeevy and not at all charismatic when not doing an interview or appearing before the public.

by Anonymousreply 62April 10, 2019 12:01 PM

Loved the show, can't wait till the next episode

by Anonymousreply 63April 10, 2019 1:04 PM

It was so awful. Only a show tunes queen would like this. These people were not half as famous as The Countess.

by Anonymousreply 64April 10, 2019 1:12 PM

I didn't care for Michelle Williams as Monroe a few years back so I wasn't expecting much from her Verdon but she's the most impressive thing in this production so far. Love they made this but not sure I love it yet.

by Anonymousreply 65April 10, 2019 1:25 PM

R62, thanks for the perspective... I watched Tuesday night episode and found Rockwell's Fosse so flat that I was wondering if it was an actual portrayal or just bad acting.

In the TV show, Fosse does seem somewhat skeevy... especially with the bad comb over. It's interesting as well to see how Verdon is the muse whispering in his and others ears... behind-the-scenes, creating much of the 'magic' that was Fosse's signature look and feel.

I wasn't wowed by last night's episode, but will tune-in next week.

BTW - I didlove the end to the first episode... being minutes away from Fosse's coronary. The make-up for Rockwell in that final scene was excellent...

by Anonymousreply 66April 10, 2019 1:27 PM

Not watching. I saw Gwen Verdon in "Chicago," and not interested in Bob or Liza.

by Anonymousreply 67April 10, 2019 2:01 PM

R16, I felt the same way.

by Anonymousreply 68April 10, 2019 2:39 PM

Who is playing Ann Reinking?

by Anonymousreply 69April 10, 2019 2:42 PM

They are greenlighting the Bobby Van story right now!

by Anonymousreply 70April 10, 2019 3:49 PM

I liked it. I agree with R62. Rockwell's Fosse is an insecure but brilliant man. Verdon is the real genius. Talk about behind every great man. And Michelle Williams is doing great. She was by far the best thing about last night's episode. I always find it hard to believe that Fosse was such a pussyhound because he always has a gayness aura around him. His real problem is the smoking/pill popping. Rockwell's problem is that portraying any director is difficult because their only real charm comes out in the work, not their personality. I also wondered last night was Verdon didn't have her own career as a director/ choreographer. As for the rest the dancers are great . The actress playing Liza is a better singer than the real one, but not as charming and real. I like the idea of showing 19 years left, 16 years left. I also think there is a limited audience for this show, but there is a limited audience for most shows on television now that it is so vast.

by Anonymousreply 71April 10, 2019 5:12 PM

I watched the trailer. It shows Gwen watching rushes of the film Cabaret and pinpointing what’s wrong with it.

What is the dialogue? I can’t make it out.

by Anonymousreply 72April 10, 2019 5:30 PM

"I'm trying to think who should have played Fosse... Jude Law, Ben Affleck, , somebody with more sex appeal than Rockwell for sure."

Those guys look even less like Fosse than Rockwell does. Who the fuck would believe Ben Affleck as a dancer for ten seconds?

by Anonymousreply 73April 10, 2019 5:31 PM

Few people know who Fosse was. Older people may have seen Gwen Verdon on Broadway decades ago. Did the creative team expect people would watch, @lLin-Manuel?

by Anonymousreply 74April 10, 2019 5:45 PM

Young Sam Shepherd would have been good.

by Anonymousreply 75April 10, 2019 6:09 PM

Dick Van Patten!

by Anonymousreply 76April 10, 2019 6:10 PM

[quote]Roy Scheider was Fosse's fantasy of himself.

Let alone his first choice, PAUL FUCKING NEWMAN!!!

by Anonymousreply 77April 10, 2019 6:33 PM

I took a leak next to Bob Fosse in the summer of 1981, at the common rest room of some floor at 890 Broadway rehearsal studios. A college junior-cum-senior, I was there rehearsing for a theme park show, and he was at the studio next door rehearsing an upcoming TV version of Pippin. For a wide-eyed college kid, it was great seeing Ben Vereen and Chita Rivera roaming in the halls.

But Fosse was a dilapidated disappointment. Forget that he was a little bald 5’4” twirl who smelled like cigarettes... his dick was tiny!

by Anonymousreply 78April 10, 2019 6:39 PM

Who the hell asked you to look?

by Anonymousreply 79April 10, 2019 6:50 PM

I agree it's not going to do well--the niche demographic is so tiny as to be absurd. But I just don't think they're doing a very good job with it. There's no dramatic tension.

It's also odd to me they seem to be repeating all the worst things about "All That Jazz":

*Lots of boring discussions and arguments between Fosse and boring middle-aged/elderly Broadway producers

*Scenes of Fosse's hard work as a child dancer so we feel sorry for him (although HE was the one who wanted to be a dancer)

*Nicole's prettiness and adorableness as a child being treated as personality traits (when in both works she actually seems to have no personality as a child)

by Anonymousreply 80April 10, 2019 6:55 PM

Chill out, r79--this is a gay gossip forum. If you don't want to hear gossip about his dick size, go elsewhere--you're on the wrong forum.

by Anonymousreply 81April 10, 2019 6:58 PM

Liza has a unique, unmistakable voice. She's first and foremost a storyteller who makes you understand the lyrics from the singer's point of view. This girl is just a singer.

She had a difficult time acting Mein Herr. Liza's bit with the fedora at "And bye-bye" is a perfect little moment that Kelli did not nail.

I didn't mind her rendition of "Cabaret" in the bar.

by Anonymousreply 82April 10, 2019 7:01 PM

And Sally is supposed to be a shitty singer

by Anonymousreply 83April 10, 2019 8:03 PM

FX's FOSSE/VERDON opens with 614,000 same-day viewers and a 0.1 A18-49. I'm guessing delayed viewing will bring the show up to around 1.2M.

Same-day audience is on par with BETTER THINGS, POSE or the most recent season of LEGION. It is far below the premiere of FEUD (2.3M L+SD)

by Anonymousreply 84April 10, 2019 8:19 PM

R71, two good friends worked on the Debbie Allen revival of "Sweet Charity". They all greatly respected Gwen and very much appreciated her contributions but although she put the ingredients together, it was Fosse who shaped the production. The day he came into rehearsal, everything changed and became much sharper, faster and pointed. One compared Verdon to Baayork Lee's unending stagings of ACL. They can get the frame correct but something is missing.

by Anonymousreply 85April 10, 2019 8:27 PM

What the hell was that bit with Gwen calling Bob in Germany to say that their kid had brought Seconal to school? That is weird and random scene to stick in and it went nowhere. Wonder if it really happened or the daughter is doing anything to get her character mentioned.

I usually can't take Michelle Williams - I find her stiff and unemotional, but she's bringing me around with this role. She's showing a lot of naturalness and has a light in her eyes.

by Anonymousreply 86April 10, 2019 8:31 PM

I loved the recreations of Hey Big Spender and Mein Herr.

It got me all tingly

by Anonymousreply 87April 10, 2019 8:37 PM

When is FX going to do Ledger/Williams?

by Anonymousreply 88April 10, 2019 8:44 PM

The reviews are in:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 10, 2019 8:55 PM

I found it tedious.

by Anonymousreply 90April 10, 2019 8:58 PM

Why was Fosse so tortured? He had it all. We know why Johnny Carson was a mess.

by Anonymousreply 91April 10, 2019 9:06 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 10, 2019 9:08 PM

R91, as a boy he was sexually molested by strippers. Well, that's what he wanted you to believe.

Fosse and Carson were good friends, BTW.

by Anonymousreply 93April 10, 2019 9:09 PM

Thanks for the scoop!

by Anonymousreply 94April 10, 2019 9:16 PM

r91 Because he was an insatiable pussy hound. He couldn't love anyone, including himself.

by Anonymousreply 95April 10, 2019 9:20 PM

HEH! Heh-HEH!

R52 and R60 both said "JackHole."

HEH! Heh- HEH!

by Anonymousreply 96April 10, 2019 9:23 PM

Pussyhounds can never fill that hole inside of them no matter how hard they try.

by Anonymousreply 97April 10, 2019 9:41 PM

[quote]Older people may have seen Gwen Verdon on Broadway decades ago.

People might not know her name but many today would recognize her from the "Cocoon" movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 10, 2019 11:19 PM

She aged naturally.

by Anonymousreply 99April 10, 2019 11:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 10, 2019 11:29 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101April 10, 2019 11:33 PM

Are they trying to take the shine off Fosse in this series?

This article refers to him as a "sexual predator"? Is that fair?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102April 11, 2019 12:10 AM

When is the episode with Lens Dunham as Totie Fields? Can't wait!! :)

by Anonymousreply 103April 11, 2019 12:22 AM

R10 They were talking about the movie playing at the Ziegfeld movie theater, as Fosse mentions that he thought Herbie the Love Bug was playing there and not his movie and that is what they were lined up to see.

by Anonymousreply 104April 11, 2019 12:40 AM

R98 Cocoon was almost 35 fucking years ago, no one remembers the movie and she wasn't even the star.

by Anonymousreply 105April 11, 2019 12:43 AM

And if you do happen to remember the movie, r98 hates you.

by Anonymousreply 106April 11, 2019 12:44 AM

I love the windows in their apartment, with the angles small brick like panes and the panels of stain glass. That is the type of apartment I always imagined having in the 70s in NYC, very artsy and comfortable with lots of friends over for entertaining. Even the pillows Gwen lounged on looked vintage with their great burnt oranges, harvest golds and avocado greens. The production design is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 107April 11, 2019 12:45 AM

I see Imogen Coca sometimes in Gwen.

by Anonymousreply 108April 11, 2019 12:49 AM

When will HER story be dissected?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109April 11, 2019 12:52 AM

I am wondering why R104 felt the need to explain R10 's comment.

We all understood that R10 was saying. And his correction of the mistake in the Fosse/Verdon script is easy to verify.

by Anonymousreply 110April 11, 2019 12:59 AM

It's an interesting time for television. Or I guess I should just call it content at this point because it can be viewed across a variety of platforms.

I doubt anyone is under any illusion that Fosse/Verdon will do well in the ratings. But a prestige, high class production like thid can have an impact on branding a network or streaming service. When you have a show about Bob Fosse and Gwen Verdon with Lin-Manuel's name on it as a producer, you're making a huge statement about what you are and what your platform does. So big bucks are shelled out for what amounts to niche programming. It's great. We all kinda win.

I love this bit Gwen did with Debbie Allen on Fame. Gwen was so graceful and classy. I suspect the music has been swapped out, though. Can anyone confirm this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111April 11, 2019 1:09 AM

[quote] People might not know her name but many today would recognize her from the "Cocoon" movies.

The last of those was more than thirty years ago.

by Anonymousreply 112April 11, 2019 1:53 AM

Sweet Charity was the first Broadway show I ever saw. I was a teen then, and Verdon was mesmerizing on stage, a real star. Ben Vereen, an unknown at the time, was a showstopper too with his Rhythm of Life number.

by Anonymousreply 113April 11, 2019 2:07 AM

"FX's FOSSE/VERDON opens with 614,000 same-day viewers and a 0.1 A18-49. I'm guessing delayed viewing will bring the show up to around 1.2M."

I remember seeing the ads for the show and thinking...this might be interesting, but who's going to watch it besides 70-year-old gay men? I guess I was right.

by Anonymousreply 114April 11, 2019 2:27 AM

[quote]Sweet Charity was the first Broadway show I ever saw. I was a teen then, and Verdon was mesmerizing on stage, a real star. Ben Vereen, an unknown at the time, was a showstopper too with his Rhythm of Life number.

I think you're experiencing what they call the Mandela Effect; Ben Vereen was only in the movie version. His big Rhythm of Life moment was as a backup dancer for Sammy Davis Jr.

by Anonymousreply 115April 11, 2019 2:45 AM

[quote]They were talking about the movie playing at the Ziegfeld movie theater, as Fosse mentions that he thought Herbie the Love Bug was playing there and not his movie and that is what they were lined up to see.

She was telling him they went past the theater to see the line out front. He kidded that it was The Love Bug which was a huge hit that year at Radio City Music Hall. "Sweet Charity" actually played at The Rivoli in a Roadshow Engagement and played for seven months before opening wide. Top ticket was $5.00 which is about $35 today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116April 11, 2019 3:28 AM

R111 - I like Verdon's reported response to Debbie Allen trying to explain the Evolution of the Dance number. She said, "Honey, just tell me what you want me to do."

by Anonymousreply 117April 11, 2019 3:42 AM

Her mother was such an influence on her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118April 11, 2019 3:51 AM

So cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119April 11, 2019 3:55 AM

I liked it. It's television candy. Not particularly nourishing, but enjoyable while it lasts. I agree that Williams is very good. She nails that strange hesitant quality to Verdon's voice. Rockwell is OK so far. It wasn't until the scenes from upcoming episodes that I realized they were going to go back further than the "Sweet Charity" (film) starting point of this episode.

As for the actress who played Liza, I gave her credit for keeping it modulated. It's so easy for a Liza interpretation to tip into satire.

by Anonymousreply 120April 11, 2019 4:34 AM

What’s a nourishing tv show?

by Anonymousreply 121April 11, 2019 4:35 AM

Chicken Soup with Lynn Redgrave

by Anonymousreply 122April 11, 2019 4:38 AM

I’d love to movie remake of Cabaret using the broadway 1998 version. Naughty and politically timely, unfortunately

by Anonymousreply 123April 11, 2019 4:45 AM

Why are they still trying to pretend Fosse was straight?

by Anonymousreply 124April 11, 2019 4:47 AM

It's an understatement to say that Bob Fosse was challenging to work with. He was irritable, inappropriate and often clashed with his collaborators in front of all his dancers. The show doesn't sugar coat any of this.

by Anonymousreply 125April 11, 2019 5:05 AM

R121 Good point. We are talking television.

by Anonymousreply 126April 11, 2019 5:08 AM

Kelli Barrett as Liza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127April 11, 2019 5:15 AM

[quote]Why are they still trying to pretend Fosse was straight?

You know something no one else does? Because he was creative and a dancer that makes him gay? By all accounts he was a huge pussyhound almost to the point of cruelty to others.

by Anonymousreply 128April 11, 2019 9:03 AM

Tedious? I loved it. A series that shows the making of Sweet Charity and Cabaret and god knows what else (Chicago, All That Jazz, Lenny?) I mean c'mon.

Tedious for me is Walking Dead or Game of Thrones.

I'm a gay man. This is heaven.

I can't wait for the next series of Wolf/Dunaway (omigod that would be delicious - 70s rock meets 70s Hollywood)

by Anonymousreply 129April 11, 2019 9:11 AM

R128, He was also very well hung and proud of it. Debbie Reynolds recounted in her book that when they were both at MGM, he would rehearse in just dance tights and liked to rub his package up against his female partners.

by Anonymousreply 130April 11, 2019 9:17 AM

[quote] He was also very well hung and proud of it.

Then he was a grower, because when I peed next to him, it looked like pee was coming out of his clasped thumb and index finger.

Could have been the meds, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 131April 11, 2019 9:36 AM

Or Debbie is full of shit/prone to exaggerating. A very possible answer.

by Anonymousreply 132April 11, 2019 9:38 AM

I enjoyed it so much I watched it twice. I know, MARY!

Hair, make up, costumes, lighting, sets, music, acting, choreography - all captivating.

Can anyone here comment on the choreography and dancers? Are the rehearsal scenes inspired or replicated Fosse choreography? My one complaint is that some of the shots were so tight that the viewers could not appreciate the choreography.

by Anonymousreply 133April 11, 2019 10:57 AM

Verdon asking if Liza could act... Liza has a Tony and Oscar nomination already by 1971. Just saying...

by Anonymousreply 134April 11, 2019 11:21 AM

Hell, he was a lot bigger than Agnes!

by Anonymousreply 135April 11, 2019 11:43 AM

Who is Kelli Barrett? Should we know her?

by Anonymousreply 136April 11, 2019 1:13 PM

R130 Any dick was too big for Debbie.

by Anonymousreply 137April 11, 2019 1:48 PM

Kelli Barrett.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138April 11, 2019 1:56 PM

Mario Cantone should've played Liza.

by Anonymousreply 139April 11, 2019 1:59 PM

More, more, more! More of your opinions and knowledge and gossip! I loved musicals as a kid. I can’t watch a clip of Hamilton without feeling embarrassed for everyone, and I really dislike the social issue musicals, so I haven’t cared as an adult.

But I love the 60s/70s stuff when show business was sexy.

by Anonymousreply 140April 11, 2019 2:00 PM

Chita Rivera was featured in the Big Spender number in the film of Sweet Charity,as was Paula Wayne, but neither are in it in this series.

WTF?

by Anonymousreply 141April 11, 2019 2:14 PM

Lens Dunham plays Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme later in the season. She was a dancer in "Sweet Charity" for a hot minute.

by Anonymousreply 142April 11, 2019 2:17 PM

Bianca Marroquin as Chita Rivera.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143April 11, 2019 2:19 PM

Kelli Barrett is known for her work on Broadway as well as her role in Marvel's The Punisher, and plays the iconic Liza Minnelli—who seems to be a personal hero of Barret's. "Thank you for inspiring me all of these years with your balls-to-the-wall unapologetic bad assery," Barrett wrote in a recent Instagram post.

by Anonymousreply 144April 11, 2019 2:21 PM

You call it "ballsh-to-the-wall" -- I call it DRUNK!

by Anonymousreply 145April 11, 2019 2:25 PM

“I call it, ‘mama, can you hear me!?’”

by Anonymousreply 146April 11, 2019 2:27 PM

Schweeter than a Shunschweet prune on top of Schierra Towersh at shunrishe!

by Anonymousreply 147April 11, 2019 2:33 PM

I'm one of the old queens who is loving the show. Michelle is perfect. Sam is sexier than Bob. I hated ALL THAT JAZZ. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

As for Fosse and his sexuality, he was SO sexual that I could totally believe that he had his dick sucked at least Once by a male dancer he really liked (as a person and dancer) just out of curiosity to see what it was all about. He was surrounded by gay men, he must have been hit on all the time (even if it was for a chance to land a role in a Fosse show). I never found Fosse attractive; he was cute in the early years but he grew out of that.

by Anonymousreply 148April 11, 2019 3:10 PM

r148=total fantasist. Can you not cope with the fact that the guy was a raging heterosexual?

by Anonymousreply 149April 11, 2019 3:14 PM

Calm down R149. You seem very invested.

by Anonymousreply 150April 11, 2019 3:17 PM

Au contraire. It's r148 who seems very invested in his fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 151April 11, 2019 3:23 PM

During rehearsals, Bobby, who was so in love with his own well-endowed self, would come up behind me and press his “gift” into my backside to tease me. It was obvious he wasn’t wearing a dance belt; I could feel everything he wanted to share. And Bobby didn’t respond to subtle discouragement, like being pushed away vigorously. Fed up, I went to a nearby drugstore one day at lunchtime, to purchase a jockstrap for him, hoping to help him contain his enthusiasm. “Give me the biggest jockstrap you carry,” I told the clerk. “An extra-extra large.” He looked at me, puzzled. “I have an extra large size,” he responded, “but the only color it comes in is black.” Perfect. I bought it. Back at rehearsal, I placed my present in Bobby’s locker. He got the message and never poked me again.

by Anonymousreply 152April 11, 2019 4:27 PM

I have no idea who these people are but I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit. Especially the actress playing Liza.

Though the German interpreter calling herself a translator did make me cringe. That distinction is literally the first thing you learn when you study to become an interpreter/translator.

by Anonymousreply 153April 11, 2019 4:36 PM

Gotta remember Debbie was a tiny thing, maybe five foot and ninety pounds. A full grown man would feel big to her.

by Anonymousreply 154April 11, 2019 5:27 PM

R154, Remember, Debbie lost her virginity to Eddie Fisher's beer can cock.

by Anonymousreply 155April 11, 2019 5:45 PM

[quote]Though the German interpreter calling herself a translator did make me cringe. That distinction is literally the first thing you learn when you study to become an interpreter/translator.

Is this what you are referring to?

[quote] On the surface, the difference between interpreting and translation is only the difference in the medium: the interpreter translates orally, while a translator interprets written text. Both interpreting and translation presuppose a certain love of language and deep knowledge of more than one language.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156April 11, 2019 5:56 PM

Fosse's choreography is inventive but at the same time, I find it twitchy and off-putting. There's the dancing in Pajama Game, during the song "Once a Year Day" where Carol Haney and a bunch of female dancer jerk around screaming "whee!" like slow adults. Then the whole crowd holds hands and does Twister (the game) moves. Also, the "Lola" dance in "Damn Yankees", Gwen twitches and flails around like a meth addict. However, there's a scene in My Sister Eileen where Fosse does some great, athletic moves.

by Anonymousreply 157April 11, 2019 5:56 PM

He seems like a predator.

by Anonymousreply 158April 11, 2019 6:35 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159April 11, 2019 6:37 PM

Fosse had a very limited dance vocabulary which is why his style is so identifiable and easy to mimic. By the time he got to Chicago, he stopped choreographing for character and scene. They were fun and exciting but in Sweet Charity, he was using dance as expression. Either he was lazy or just started losing the talent for it. The booze and drugs were already taking its toll.

by Anonymousreply 160April 11, 2019 6:42 PM

How was he molested? By the creepy dance instructor who doesn’t want to see the work/sweat? He’s looming over the flashbacks...

by Anonymousreply 161April 11, 2019 6:55 PM

I don't suppose they'll go back as far as KISS ME KATE.

Didn't Fosse choreograph the 'From This Moment On' number? Although it was credited to Hermes Pan, it sure has the Fosse style.

BTW, Tommy Rall is still alive, at age 89

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162April 11, 2019 6:58 PM

They wont be able to get someone sexier than Tommy Rall to play him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163April 11, 2019 6:59 PM

Fosse choreographed only his section of "From This Moment On," according to some doc I saw somewhere (either A&Es Biography series or That's Entertainment).

by Anonymousreply 164April 11, 2019 7:00 PM

Fosse choreographed that middle section; the style is distinctly his. The rest I think was Pan.

by Anonymousreply 165April 11, 2019 7:01 PM

IMDb lists Fosse in the credits (as "uncredited"), and I'm sure some documentary or article specifically said that he did the section for himself and Haney.

by Anonymousreply 166April 11, 2019 7:05 PM

That one minute Fosse choreographed (with himself and Carol Haney) just blew everything else in KISS ME, KATE out of the water.

It must have been especially arresting in 3-D.

by Anonymousreply 167April 11, 2019 7:06 PM

It's pretty spectacular. The only thing that tops it is Tommy Rall's jump from what must be 20 feet up.

by Anonymousreply 168April 11, 2019 7:09 PM

[quote]Hermes Pan

That has to be the queeniest name in Show Biz History.

by Anonymousreply 169April 11, 2019 7:11 PM

It's hilarious when Ann Miller starts tapping in that number. She's actually very good and didn't have to rely on that like a crutch but I guess it's what her audiences expected.

R161, remember that scene in ATJ where the young Joe Gideon is aroused by the strippers and he goes onstage having ejaculated in his pants? That was a regular occurrence and in the Gottfried bio, they used to bet as to who could get him hard fastest before he went on the stage. When he was 15, he was named the other man in a divorce document one of the stripper's husband filed.

by Anonymousreply 170April 11, 2019 7:23 PM

I think it’s great. Michelle Williams never fails- she is a phenomenal character actress, she can disappear into any role. She should have an Oscar, she can act circles around JLaw and Emma Stone.

by Anonymousreply 171April 11, 2019 7:55 PM

How many hips have been replaced in the name of Fosse?

by Anonymousreply 172April 11, 2019 9:31 PM

Too many.

by Anonymousreply 173April 11, 2019 9:35 PM

[quote]Verdon asking if Liza could act... Liza has a Tony and Oscar nomination already by 1971.

I thought the same thing!! Sterile Cuckoo anyone?

by Anonymousreply 174April 11, 2019 9:44 PM

Fosse wasn't an irresistible seducer. He got sex the same way Roger Ailes did, by making female employees put out if they wanted to work.

by Anonymousreply 175April 11, 2019 10:05 PM

I watched a documentary and they pronounced his name as "Foss" and not "Fossee" as I always have.

by Anonymousreply 176April 11, 2019 10:07 PM

Oh, Dear God.

Did someone owe Bob a favor?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177April 12, 2019 1:14 AM

Poor Ann. It wasn't her idea. She was very much caught in the middle. The Academy made the choice not to allow Phil Collins to perform the song live. They invited her, she agreed, and then Phil Collins started complaining to the press that he wasn't allowed to perform his own song.

She couldn't back out, she'd already agreed. A sucky situation all around brought about by I guess the stodginess of the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 178April 12, 2019 3:53 AM

Everything worked out in the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179April 12, 2019 3:57 AM

Michelle Williams is one of the great american actresses. You're lucky to have her.

by Anonymousreply 180April 12, 2019 5:28 AM

If Reinking did a good job, no one would have cared about what led up to it. But she gave one of the most legendary bad performances in Oscar history. And the question still is how did she fuck up the lyrics when it was prerecorded?

by Anonymousreply 181April 12, 2019 5:32 AM

Margaret Qualley is Ann Reinking. Qualley is best known for her role in HBO's The Leftovers. But 2019 is poised to be her breakout year, between her turn as actress and dancer Ann Reinking, and her portrayal of Kitty Kat in Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time of Hollywood, slated to hit theaters this July.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182April 12, 2019 5:36 AM

Qualley is also Andie McDowell's daughter, if that hasn't been mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 183April 12, 2019 11:50 AM

[quote]A sucky situation all around brought about by I guess the stodginess of the Academy.

Tell us about it.

by Anonymousreply 184April 12, 2019 12:18 PM

The first episode was so boring. Was there any plot at all?

by Anonymousreply 185April 12, 2019 12:41 PM

Following the commercial failure of his filmmaking debut, Sweet Charity, director-choreographer Bob Fosse is determined to make his next project, Cabaret, a success, even if it means defying producer Cy Feuer and cheating on his wife, Gwen Verdon.

by Anonymousreply 186April 12, 2019 12:42 PM

I hope they cover the making of Lenny.

by Anonymousreply 187April 12, 2019 2:46 PM

Fosse stole much from Jack Cole - including Gwen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188April 12, 2019 3:04 PM

If Beale Street could talk...

by Anonymousreply 189April 12, 2019 3:11 PM

Lenny is covered. Read the review posted sometime before above in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 190April 12, 2019 3:23 PM

Thanks R190

by Anonymousreply 191April 12, 2019 4:10 PM

Lizha won't go toplessh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192April 12, 2019 4:22 PM

////

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193April 12, 2019 4:27 PM

What I've learned on this thread is that Bob Fosse was a major mussyhound who would have been best played by Ben Affleck.

And people say Broadway queens have trouble with reality!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194April 12, 2019 4:35 PM

I quite enjoyed the first episode. Michelle Williams was pretty terrific and Sam Rockwell is pretty excellent, too.

by Anonymousreply 195April 12, 2019 5:47 PM

Oh R195, of course you enjoyed it, everyone here did, but it's Datalounge, you're not supposed to admit it.

by Anonymousreply 196April 12, 2019 7:26 PM

I enjoyed the first episode, but I had to keep explaining things to my husband like “oh, that’s Neil Simon’s wife” and “That’s Harold Prince.” I’m puzzled how the producers or network thought this would appeal to anyone but hardcore theater queens (like me).

by Anonymousreply 197April 12, 2019 9:02 PM

Actually Liza was already a Tony WINNER by the time she did Cabaret. It was kind of stupid writing when Gwen asked if she could act. Gwen must’ve known her in Broadway circles or known of her.

by Anonymousreply 198April 12, 2019 9:23 PM

[quote] Actually Liza was already a Tony WINNER by the time she did Cabaret. It was kind of stupid writing when Gwen asked if she could act.

Yes, all Tony winners are of course automatically GREAT actors!

by Anonymousreply 199April 12, 2019 10:14 PM

R199 don’t be dense. Liza received an Oscar nomination too in 1970. Plus she won her Tony in the musical category, so it’s safe to say she had more of a modicum of talent, both acting and performing, to pull off Cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 200April 12, 2019 10:31 PM

r200, don't YOU be dense.

You were making the dubious claim that having won a Tony Award for Best Actress meant Liza was automatically a great actress, when my point is that of course Merman and Tune are/were terrible actors, but both have won the Tony for acting in a musical.

]

by Anonymousreply 201April 12, 2019 10:36 PM

R175, When shows were out of town in previews, Fosse would phone vulnerable females in the production after midnight and summon them to his hotel room.

by Anonymousreply 202April 12, 2019 10:47 PM

This is what I've leaned after the first episode: Fosse was a sleazy, predator asshole who owns his success entirely to his wife's talent.

by Anonymousreply 203April 12, 2019 10:52 PM

Gwen was being bitchy because she probably knew Bob would go for her.

by Anonymousreply 204April 12, 2019 11:30 PM

Lucy was cast as Sally Bowles, but Gary....

by Anonymousreply 205April 12, 2019 11:32 PM

R201 You may not like Tune or Merman. Fine asshole. You try doing Broadway. Its a massive endeavor for a performer. There are always people who win a major acting award who are more deserving or less deserving. But by 1971 when Cabaret started filming, Liza had proved herself and was on the map with a career on Broadway and an Oscar nomination in film. So Liza’s talent wasn’t a fluke with one Tony win. I stand by what I said. For Gwen not to have seen Liza in her musical she won for or Sterile Cuckoo doesn’t ring true. What have you done with your life you dense idiot?

by Anonymousreply 206April 12, 2019 11:43 PM

Flora the Red Menace only ran for some 90 performances in 1964 from May to July. It was a huge flop and there's no reason Gwen or Fosse would have seen it. Liza mainly won the Tony because there was no serious competition that year in her category.

The Sterile Cuckoo was a small indy film that appealed mostly to college students. It did not play any of the big "picture houses on Broadway" (as DL fave Arlene Francis might have noted). Until Cabaret, Liza had never appeared in a musical film.

I think it's completely reasonable that Gwen would not have been acquainted with Liza's talents. At the time, most people still thought of Liza as Judy's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 207April 13, 2019 1:31 AM

Or maybe Gwen never really said, “Can Liza act?” in real life and it was just a lousy screenplay line.

by Anonymousreply 208April 13, 2019 1:43 AM

[quote] What have you done with your life you dense idiot?

Oh yes, your pathetic and impotent little hissy fit has shown me the emptiness of my entire life.

by Anonymousreply 209April 13, 2019 1:56 AM

R209 comebacks and sharp retorts will be never be something you’re smart enough to do, so give it a merciful rest.

by Anonymousreply 210April 13, 2019 2:08 AM

[quote] But 2019 is poised to be her breakout year, between her turn as actress and dancer Ann Reinking

If her turn is anything like every other supporting actor turn in this mess then she may be waiting for 2020 to be her big breakout year.

by Anonymousreply 211April 13, 2019 2:39 AM

I was lucky to see Liza'sopening night at the Winter Garden in January 1974. Vincente Minnelli was there. Not sure about Fosse.

by Anonymousreply 212April 13, 2019 2:41 AM

[quote] I was lucky to see Liza'sopening

No. No you weren't. Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 213April 13, 2019 3:06 AM

r210, you're blocked

by Anonymousreply 214April 13, 2019 3:44 AM

So who plays Kidd you know the guy who made Gwen an overnight star in one of the most legendary happenings in Broadway history?

Charity would have played seven months at the Rivoli and had a long line outside only in Fosse's dreams.

And I waited in a long line outside Radio City to see TLB on a Sunday afternoon at Easter time in '69 and on the way seeing the large billboard on the back of the Rivoli for SC.

Rall wipes the runt Fosse off the screen in both MSE and KMK.

by Anonymousreply 215April 13, 2019 4:10 AM

Cabaret is the most overrated movie musical in history. The original musical is so much better.

I also saw Cliff Gorman in Lenny on Broadway and though I was still a boy it was one of the most memorable theatrical experiences of my life. The movie was pretty weak in comparison. Fosse at his peak is The Rich Man Frug in the film of SC. Utterly spectacular to this day.

by Anonymousreply 216April 13, 2019 4:25 AM

R216 I very much disagree with you. I watched Cabaret recently and was pretty stunned at how fantastic it was. I think it's a different animal from Hal Prince's stage version, but brilliant in its own right.

Honestly, I was also shocked by how much of what's going on today I recognized in some of the scenes. Pretty fucking chilling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217April 13, 2019 4:34 AM

[quote] [R210], you're blocked

He was right. You do suck at comebacks and sharp retorts.

by Anonymousreply 218April 13, 2019 4:34 AM

[quote] Honestly, I was also shocked by how much of what's going on today I recognized in some of the scenes. Pretty fucking chilling.

Yup. Fill that biergarten with a bunch of trannies and Cabaret could be ripped from today's headlines.

by Anonymousreply 219April 13, 2019 4:35 AM

[quote]Cabaret is the most overrated movie musical in history. The original musical is so much better.

And I agree with people that say "Cabaret" the movie isn't a musical. The STAGE version is, all the characters break out in song. In the movie only people on stage sing. No one thinks of "Lady Sings The Blues" released the same year, is a musical, but as with Liza, Diana Ross only sings songs onstage and it has a 35 cut double soundtrack album that "Cabaret" doesn't. "A Star Is Born" '76 & '18 aren't considered musicals and they both won the Best Song Oscars their years. A full blown movie version of the musical of "Cabaret" would be nice.

by Anonymousreply 220April 13, 2019 6:48 PM

Let's not forget the reformatting of The Boyfriend!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221April 13, 2019 7:00 PM

R192 Liza is such a sloooooooooow interview.

by Anonymousreply 222April 13, 2019 7:06 PM

Fun fact:

Liza is a mere Grammy away from EGOT status.

by Anonymousreply 223April 13, 2019 7:14 PM

"Who's Got the Pain" from Damn Yankees looks like an incredibily stupid filler song.

by Anonymousreply 224April 13, 2019 7:16 PM

Not any more than Steam Heat or Turkey-Lurkey. It's about the choreography not the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 225April 13, 2019 7:19 PM

R223, so am I.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226April 13, 2019 7:19 PM

[quote] It's about the choreography not the lyrics.

Why can't a number be about both? I'd rather have no lyrics than stupid ones.

by Anonymousreply 227April 13, 2019 7:22 PM

[quote] Not any more than Steam Heat or Turkey-Lurkey. It's about the choreography not the lyrics.

Well, what does that even mean, though?

I mean, you're right that they are remembered for their choreography and not for their lyrics, but only Broadway show queens remember them at all. It's not as with certain musical dance numbers where people will hum them because both the melodies/lyrics were great. I've heard people singing "Mein Herr" and "Get Me to the Church on Time," and even "A Secretary is not a Toy," because the songs were great even though they were just mostly dance numbers. I've never heard anyone sing "It's Turkey Lurkey Time" to themselves.

by Anonymousreply 228April 13, 2019 7:32 PM

[quote] [R223], so am I.

Except Liza actually has a chance at a Grammy.

by Anonymousreply 229April 13, 2019 7:49 PM

Cher's only a Tony away from an EGOT

by Anonymousreply 230April 13, 2019 7:51 PM

I didn't say it couldn't be both, r227. I hate to break it to you, but life isn't always about your....

by Anonymousreply 231April 13, 2019 7:51 PM

I go back and forth on the Cabaret movie. It's got some really great moments, but I miss the landlady romantic subplot from the show. It's a really beautiful and moving section and I don't feel like the movie has much heart. You don't really care about what happens to Sally or Cliff (isn't it Brian in the movie for some reason?). I also feel like Liza is simply too strong a performer to convince me that she wouldn't have made it somewhere by that point. I love the idea of Sally being this mediocre talent who believes she's something spectacular. It fits in with everyone else's delusions. The pace also feels much slower than the stage version.

by Anonymousreply 232April 13, 2019 8:13 PM

Cher won an Emmy in 2003 for Cher- The Farewell Tour.

So why the fuck are we still stuck with her?

by Anonymousreply 233April 13, 2019 8:31 PM

[quote]Except Liza actually has a chance at a Grammy.

It’s kind of hard to imagine for what at this point.

by Anonymousreply 234April 13, 2019 8:39 PM

[quote] It’s kind of hard to imagine for what at this point.

I was thinking Lifetime Achievement, Living Legend, that kind of thing. Competitive- no.

by Anonymousreply 235April 13, 2019 8:49 PM

[quote]Cher's only a Tony away from an EGOT

If "The Cher Show" wins Best Musical, she gets it. She is a producer.

by Anonymousreply 236April 13, 2019 10:50 PM

[quote]If "The Cher Show" wins Best Musical

HaHaHaHa!

by Anonymousreply 237April 13, 2019 11:05 PM

she won't even be a Tony nominee

by Anonymousreply 238April 14, 2019 12:57 AM

The plot twist where Gwen Verdon is some kind of genius because she flies from Germany all the way to NYC just to find the *perfect* gorilla costume. Then there’s impending DRAMA when she flies back with the costume in hand and shows up at Bob’s front door ... where he’s in bed with the German translator! Cliffhanger!

by Anonymousreply 239April 14, 2019 1:33 AM

And who’s the German Translator supposed to be? Was she a real person or some weird writer’s idea?

by Anonymousreply 240April 14, 2019 1:36 AM

She's just some pussy I wanted at the time.

by Anonymousreply 241April 14, 2019 1:41 AM

R240 Most of it seems to be fantasy

by Anonymousreply 242April 14, 2019 1:44 AM

The translator was supposedly real since Cabaret was made in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 243April 14, 2019 1:53 AM

R240, the translator was Ilsa Schwarzwald. According to Wasson, she was described as resembling Verdon. Verdon found out about the affair when Ilsa's husband wrote to her about the relationship.

by Anonymousreply 244April 14, 2019 2:00 AM

r219 must be the anti-trans troll. Nice of you to drag trans people into EVERY discussion

by Anonymousreply 245April 14, 2019 3:09 AM

R245 Fuck off, you Loon

by Anonymousreply 246April 14, 2019 3:30 AM

r246, you're the loon. This thread was fun before it was taken over by Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 247April 14, 2019 3:45 AM

R245 is the stealth homophobe troll.

by Anonymousreply 248April 14, 2019 3:48 AM

Pic from the 2nd episode. I thought that sliding chair bit was in the Damn Yankees number Too Lost Souls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249April 15, 2019 4:25 AM

Cannot WAIT to see Lens Dunham as Ann Miller later in the season. Rumor has it she recreates the "Tom, Dick, or Harry" number from Kiss Me Kate, and blows it out of the park!

by Anonymousreply 250April 15, 2019 5:06 PM

no, r250. she just stands there guzzling Campbells Soup.

by Anonymousreply 251April 15, 2019 8:49 PM

Fuck that soup business, honey!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252April 15, 2019 8:54 PM

It’s NOT Campbell’s!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253April 16, 2019 9:53 AM

r207 you are wrong Liza's first movie was n the Good Old Summertime"-1949- a musical .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254April 16, 2019 5:49 PM

Could she act?

by Anonymousreply 255April 16, 2019 9:53 PM

I always thought I read an article that Gwen wasn't a smoker so it was weird seeing Gwen smoking in the 1st ep. and always was amazed she was with a mega chain smoker like Fosse... maybe I'm confusing her with someone else

by Anonymousreply 256April 16, 2019 11:33 PM

R254 She looks like her father. Poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 257April 16, 2019 11:36 PM

2nite!

Strong language and sexual situations!!!

by Anonymousreply 258April 17, 2019 2:01 AM

My God. Michelle Williams is so good as Gwen. Every gesture.

by Anonymousreply 259April 17, 2019 2:22 AM

What just happened with Joan and she couldn’t walk? Miscarriage?

by Anonymousreply 260April 17, 2019 2:22 AM

Oh she’s dying. Never mind!

by Anonymousreply 261April 17, 2019 2:31 AM

Fosse was a monster of selfishness apparently.

by Anonymousreply 262April 17, 2019 2:39 AM

Sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263April 17, 2019 2:42 AM

The actress reminds me so much of Tina Fey. I had to check twice.

by Anonymousreply 264April 17, 2019 2:47 AM

Holy shit, that was terrible. They should never have shown Williams trying to dance but the biggest sin was the episode was boring. Good luck trying to hang on to ratings.

by Anonymousreply 265April 17, 2019 3:00 AM

Uh oh, I fell asleep for most of it.

by Anonymousreply 266April 17, 2019 3:02 AM

I wonder if they offered it to Fey?

by Anonymousreply 267April 17, 2019 3:05 AM

So odd to me that such a terrible song -- Who's Got the Pain -- saved the act.

Williams is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 268April 17, 2019 3:12 AM

Fosse never went to see his dying wife after he got together with Verdon.

by Anonymousreply 269April 17, 2019 3:23 AM

What is it about him that drove these women wild? I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 270April 17, 2019 3:45 AM

R270, Fosse chain smoked, so his breath must have stunk 24x7.

by Anonymousreply 271April 17, 2019 3:48 AM

r270, it's called being rich and famous

by Anonymousreply 272April 17, 2019 3:52 AM

Yeah, but they had their own fame, money and cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 273April 17, 2019 3:54 AM

He obviously had magnetism and a good dickgame that doesn't come across on film.

by Anonymousreply 274April 17, 2019 3:57 AM

R270, sometimes talent is an aphrodisiac.

by Anonymousreply 275April 17, 2019 3:58 AM

Gwen was no beauty.

Bob was better looking than her when young, but lost his looks very drastically.

The fact that he got to sample Jessica Lange's twat later shows how it was about his power.

by Anonymousreply 276April 17, 2019 3:59 AM

Susan Misner is Joan McCracken.

by Anonymousreply 277April 17, 2019 3:59 AM

Susan Misner looked like McCracken, but I think she was a bit too young. McCraken was 10 years older than Fosse. That didn't come across in this show.

by Anonymousreply 278April 17, 2019 4:00 AM

Fosse was an insufferable drama queen. He threatened to commit suicide TWICE in this one episode.

by Anonymousreply 279April 17, 2019 4:01 AM

He has the artistic temperament.

by Anonymousreply 280April 17, 2019 4:03 AM

Liza already has an honorary Grammy, which makes her an EGOT winner.

by Anonymousreply 281April 17, 2019 4:05 AM

R256 She smoked -- you can hear her voice go from very strong in 'Damn Yankees" and get less strong with each succeeding show recording.

by Anonymousreply 282April 17, 2019 4:09 AM

That could just be age and also I thought Gwen was a health food nut so smoking doesn't jive with that.

by Anonymousreply 283April 17, 2019 4:11 AM

Yeah, there's a famous picture of Fosse and Verdon rehearsing, and they both have cigarettes dangling from their lips.

by Anonymousreply 284April 17, 2019 4:12 AM

R228 Come around to my place Thanksgiving time. I do my Donna McKechnie impersonation and sing the shit out of "Turkey Lurkey Time". But gotta warm up those arm rolls at the end -- they're killer!

by Anonymousreply 285April 17, 2019 4:14 AM

Wow, Susan Misner is 48. She looks a lot younger.

by Anonymousreply 286April 17, 2019 4:16 AM

Jesus, Sam Rockwell has all the charisma of peeling paint. This has rapidly gotten unwatchable, no matter how good Michelle Williams is.

by Anonymousreply 287April 17, 2019 4:18 AM

Joan McCracken was ten years older than Fosse, but she was still only 43 when she died. The problem isn't so much Misner's look, as the fact that Sam Rockwell at 50 is a little long in the tooth to play Fosse in his 20s and 30s, which is when Fosse was married to McCracken.

by Anonymousreply 288April 17, 2019 4:38 AM

Bob: I'll kill myself. I swear.

Gwen: No, Bob. You can't. You're greatest work is ahead of you. I just know it.

by Anonymousreply 289April 17, 2019 4:49 AM

oops. mean to wrote Your greatest ...

by Anonymousreply 290April 17, 2019 4:51 AM

I am going through Paul Reiser withdrawal.

by Anonymousreply 291April 17, 2019 5:44 AM

It was driving me crazy trying to place where I knew the actress who was playing Fosse's wife before Verdon...... she played Stan's wife on The Americans.

by Anonymousreply 292April 17, 2019 6:37 AM

Does this show stink? I watched episode 1 and thought it was ok. If episode 2 was no better, or worse I might not bother.

I think the impossible thing with any Fosse biography type thing is to live up to All That Jazz. It's just not possible. ATJ, and documentary footage of Fosse's work with Verdon, Ben Vereen, Ann Reinking or whoever else is bound to be superior to any filmed thing like Fosse /Verdon. Though, I do think Michelle Williams did a great job imitating Gwen Verdon.

by Anonymousreply 293April 17, 2019 7:12 AM

Don't bother R293 you sound like a crank.

by Anonymousreply 294April 17, 2019 8:42 AM

[quote]What just happened with Joan and she couldn’t walk? Miscarriage?

Diabetes

by Anonymousreply 295April 17, 2019 9:07 AM

R16 - I'm with you. After the first 15 minutes, I turned it off. I could tell that the preciously tedious pace was going to ruin the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 296April 17, 2019 9:18 AM

I don't care for the non-linear time sequence.

by Anonymousreply 297April 17, 2019 9:40 AM

Here's Michelle on Busy Tonight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298April 17, 2019 11:21 AM

Apparently we’ve all forgiven Michelle for causing Heath’s demise. Musical comedy is that powerful.

by Anonymousreply 299April 17, 2019 11:46 AM

I have never really liked Michelle or Busy

by Anonymousreply 300April 17, 2019 11:54 AM

Heath over-medicated. How is that Michelle's fault?

by Anonymousreply 301April 17, 2019 12:34 PM

In the late 40s and early 50s, Fosse was "cute" in an elfin way, but that don't age well.

by Anonymousreply 302April 17, 2019 12:42 PM

r283 - I didn't know Gwen could dance jive.

by Anonymousreply 303April 17, 2019 1:27 PM

So they are both horrible people. Because they were talented we are suppose to overlook that they are scum. Love women who go with a cheater and then are hurt when he cheats on them.

by Anonymousreply 304April 17, 2019 1:32 PM

Wait: how did she get to be scum, r304?

by Anonymousreply 305April 17, 2019 1:36 PM

She's dating a guy and fucking married Fosse, even after she found out the wife is sick, and gets pissed that he won't leave the sick woman. But's it's ok, she's a great dancer.

by Anonymousreply 306April 17, 2019 1:53 PM

Last week was fine. This one was very boring. Don't know if I'll make it to the end. Just like I gave up on FEUD. Michelle is the best thing. Gwen started messing with a married man. No sympathy. Fuck them both. R297 Me either.

by Anonymousreply 307April 17, 2019 1:56 PM

[quote]I don't care for the non-linear time sequence.

I can handle that. But his memories of childhood tapping away in front of him is a theatrical device that translates very poorly, if not outright corny, when used on a TV movie.

by Anonymousreply 308April 17, 2019 1:58 PM

I don't find this series particularly compelling, or innovative, or original. Didn't we already know most of this stuff about both of them (or did know at some point)? Not sure why they took the trouble to make it.

by Anonymousreply 309April 17, 2019 2:03 PM

^^^I agree

by Anonymousreply 310April 17, 2019 2:07 PM

I know I'm a broken record here, but am I the only one who thinks Sam is simply doing a toned-down "Chuck Barris"?

by Anonymousreply 311April 17, 2019 2:33 PM

Neil Patrick Harris would have been an interesting Fosse.

by Anonymousreply 312April 17, 2019 3:15 PM

I can't believe Gwen left that big hunk of man in her room to go with Fosse.

by Anonymousreply 313April 17, 2019 3:18 PM

R313 I was thinking the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 314April 17, 2019 3:27 PM

[quote]I'm with you. After the first 15 minutes, I turned it off. I could tell that the preciously tedious pace was going to ruin the whole thing.

So why are you here?

by Anonymousreply 315April 17, 2019 3:28 PM

I wonder what Gwen would have thought of being portrayed in this scandalous way.

by Anonymousreply 316April 17, 2019 3:45 PM

One thing I don't think they are getting is how much more attention Gwen would have been getting over Fosse at this time.

She was a Tony-winning star of the show. They make it look like they were equals during Damn Yankees. There were not.

by Anonymousreply 317April 17, 2019 3:54 PM

Fosse/Sternin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318April 17, 2019 4:12 PM

Misner was great in a L&O CI playing a bad girl turned nun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319April 17, 2019 4:23 PM

I think (hope) this bloated indulgent mess will teach the director, producers, writers and everyone else involved that just because you have a certain amount of hours doesn't mean you have to abandon certain techniques like pacing and editing. Last night's bomb could have easily been condensed into ten minutes or less. All of that time used to showing the minutia of Who's got the pain was dreadful. The irony is that they didn't show the bad number that the producers threw out so we could see some comparison. Instead, they had Williams badly faking "Pain".

It did remind me of Michael Bennett's greatest skill in shaping a show, which was his excellent pacing.

by Anonymousreply 320April 17, 2019 4:25 PM

The “I will stop watching!” crowd will continue to watch each episode and bitch about them on Datalounge which is always fun.

by Anonymousreply 321April 17, 2019 4:27 PM

R303, that's what I told everyone who said I ripped her off

by Anonymousreply 322April 17, 2019 4:31 PM

There were times in this that Williams looked uncannily like Shirley MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 323April 17, 2019 4:34 PM

I usually dont like Williams, but she is doing an excellent job....she really does look like Verdon in her younger years and shes doing an exceptional job with the recreations of the dances.

by Anonymousreply 324April 17, 2019 5:09 PM

What a strange, sexless little boy body Williams has in her dance tights. No ass, no legs, big boobs. Good thing her face is so photogenic and expressive. But that is NOT a dancer's body.

by Anonymousreply 325April 17, 2019 5:12 PM

How much can we blame of this on Miranda?

by Anonymousreply 326April 17, 2019 5:37 PM

I love Carmen Miranda! Leave her out of this.

by Anonymousreply 327April 17, 2019 5:38 PM

Since he wants all the credit, he can take all the blame.

by Anonymousreply 328April 17, 2019 5:39 PM

He's one of several executive producers. Is he trying to hog credit for the whole thing?

by Anonymousreply 329April 17, 2019 5:41 PM

I agree with the poster upthread about the non linear storyline. It’s like they’re trying too hard to get people hooked right away that it ruins the pace. We can handle the story being told straight way through. The way it is now makes it hard to get into the story. I watched it with my boyfriend who is unfamiliar with Fosse or Verdon and he couldn’t follow it enough to enjoy it.

It’s a shame Ryan Murphy isn’t behind this. It’s in his wheel house and I think it would’ve been better with his input.

I think Rockwell and Williams are doing great though.

by Anonymousreply 330April 17, 2019 5:42 PM

Oh, Lin “Manwell” Miranda is a producer?

No wonder it sucks

by Anonymousreply 331April 17, 2019 5:43 PM

R320 Yea like how they showed us that same clip of Verdon standing outside the hotel door knocking, holding the gorilla head. I think they showed that like four times.

by Anonymousreply 332April 17, 2019 5:46 PM

This show is not dynamic at all when it's focusing on Fosse - he is is black vacuum of who cares. Whining and blackmailing and cheating and threatening suicide. I know he was a womanizer but had no idea he was so emotionally damaged ("I'll kill myself!") but the actor isn't making me feel anything for him, not even pity.

by Anonymousreply 333April 17, 2019 5:49 PM

r329: He's the one flooding social media with his references to the series....tripping over his zillions of posts about casting for the In the Heights film and for WSS--which he has no claim to whatsoever, unless you count providing some lyric translations for the Arthur Laurents revival (lyrics that were jettisoned halfway through the run).

by Anonymousreply 334April 17, 2019 5:57 PM

R325, how can Williams have a little boy body when you claim she has big boobs. Actually, many female dancers did have little boy bodies and resorted to bolt on titties like Sandahl Bergman

by Anonymousreply 335April 17, 2019 6:06 PM

I agree, r333. Michelle Williams is doing all the heavy lifting here. I’m enjoying it for the most part, but there’s a sort of listless quality to it and the structure of the episodes are clumsy. I definitely think it would have benefited from Ryan Murphy’s touch. Rockwell’s Fosse is also flat and lifeless and seems to be a drag on this production.

by Anonymousreply 336April 17, 2019 6:09 PM

This would NOT have benefited from any Ryan Murphy association

by Anonymousreply 337April 17, 2019 6:12 PM

They are borrowing from his production techniques...and its obvious.

by Anonymousreply 338April 17, 2019 6:14 PM

It simply didn't need to be made; it's lifeless.

by Anonymousreply 339April 17, 2019 6:20 PM

It is problematic to have one of the main characters so unlikable/unsympathetic.

It would be one thing if he were being portrayed as a villain, but we are supposed to want them together.

by Anonymousreply 340April 17, 2019 6:28 PM

R335, I guess I mean little body except for the boobs. You have to agree about her ass though. And no waist. I like her performance, I just think she lacks any kind of va voom, which Verdon had in spades.

by Anonymousreply 341April 17, 2019 6:32 PM

Yeah, she does kind of have a boy body which is why I didn't buy her as Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 342April 17, 2019 6:34 PM

R341, I was more offended that they didn't just get a double to do the dancing like they did for Jennifer Beals in Flashdance and use her face in closeups. Speaking of no waist, Reinking was always thick along with no neck and linebacker's shoulders.

I seem to recall in the Gottfried Fosse bio that one male chorus dancer said that seeing Verdon for the first time in leotards was incredible. He said she had that white skin contrasted to the black leos with the red hair, long legs and "swells of a stripper" which was a line I remembered because it was so descriptive.

by Anonymousreply 343April 17, 2019 6:37 PM

quote]What a strange, sexless little boy body Williams has in her dance tights. No ass, no legs, big boobs. Good thing her face is so photogenic and expressive. But that is NOT a dancer's body.

Verdon was no bombshell, Dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344April 17, 2019 6:41 PM

And Gwen had a face for the back row.

by Anonymousreply 345April 17, 2019 6:43 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346April 17, 2019 6:44 PM

R346 Now, THOSE are hostess pants.

by Anonymousreply 347April 17, 2019 6:46 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348April 17, 2019 6:47 PM

Fuck you R344, R345.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349April 17, 2019 6:48 PM

Phallic symbol. Get it? To think, Chicago hit the high ticket price of $17.50 to see this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350April 17, 2019 6:51 PM

First problem is the series title: "Fosse/Verdon."

Clumsy sound, plus a slant mark implying closerthanthis, even surpassing Romeo AND Juliet.

by Anonymousreply 351April 17, 2019 7:14 PM

Verdon flying to Germany to save the film Cabaret is just nonsense. Never happened.

by Anonymousreply 352April 17, 2019 7:31 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353April 17, 2019 7:32 PM

R352 Why? Because you say so?

She did fly to the set to help him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354April 17, 2019 7:54 PM

You got to give the daughter credit for allowing such unsympathetic portrayals of them.

by Anonymousreply 355April 17, 2019 8:19 PM

Two episodes and we still haven't seen the scene where Verdon catches Fosse in bed with the translator and it's been teased all through both installments. Since it was a breaking point in their relationship, why introduce it so early.

I thought the scene with Joan and Gwen in the ladies room was the best in the series so far. You can see Verdon's jealously about the marriage yet it's Joan who is very subtly telling Gwen she knows what's going on and what will eventually happen. It happened to her and it will happen to Gwen. They're the same woman because Fosse will never change.

Overall, I was surprised with the tender portrayal of the Fosse/McCracken relationship. Nice detail when he carries her out of the studio and we see she's soiled her dress. Then again, the article posted above suggests that she had an intellectual grip on Fosse which is what a man who felt inferior the way he did needed. He idolized Verdon's talent but that wasn't enough for him.

by Anonymousreply 356April 17, 2019 8:23 PM

[quote] Two episodes and we still haven't seen the scene where Verdon catches Fosse in bed with the translator and it's been teased all through both installments. Since it was a breaking point in their relationship, why introduce it so early.

To keep us watching r356. That door might not open until the last episode!

by Anonymousreply 357April 17, 2019 8:42 PM

R357, I'm sure the four people who are still watching til the last episode will be riveted.

by Anonymousreply 358April 17, 2019 8:43 PM

To think that by 1967, the three gals at r353, were at the top of the theater, TV, and film industry, one each.

by Anonymousreply 359April 17, 2019 8:44 PM

Everyone has seen McCracken in "Pass That Peace Pipe" but watch this not well known number from "Hollywood Canteen", "Ballet in Jive 1944". She's just amazing. Technically she's great but she has this Lucy-like lovability in her looniness and naivety.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360April 17, 2019 8:56 PM

[quote]Overall, I was surprised with the tender portrayal of the Fosse/McCracken relationship.

I wonder how much of that is just trying to make Fosse more sympathetic to the audience.

For example, in the show, she leaves him. But in real llfe, he abandoned her.

by Anonymousreply 361April 17, 2019 9:26 PM

R361, they didn't care about making Verdon unsympathetic in that instance. She tells Fosse he has to leave McCracken. A great line. McCracken: You want my permission? You've got that. But it's not enough, is it"?

by Anonymousreply 362April 17, 2019 9:43 PM

Susan Misner as Liz.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363April 17, 2019 9:45 PM

A slightly different version.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364April 17, 2019 10:16 PM

Wiki's plot for episode 2 is up - "As Gwen and Bob's marriage deteriorates following the discovery of his latest extramarital affair, Gwen reflects on how they first met during pre-production for Damn Yankees as well as how their personal and professional relationship began at the cost of Bob's marriage to ailing Broadway star Joan McCracken."

by Anonymousreply 365April 17, 2019 10:17 PM

I hope Gwen Verdon doesn't know I am secretly judging her for being the Rielle Hunter in the relationship.

by Anonymousreply 366April 17, 2019 10:21 PM

[quote]Apparently we’ve all forgiven Michelle for causing Heath’s demise.

You misspelled Mary Kate Olsen

by Anonymousreply 367April 17, 2019 10:27 PM

I loved the “audition” scene in episode 2

If Ryan Murphy had anything to do with this, Datalounge would lose its mind.

Do we really need to see Gwen explode when she finds the translator in Bob’s bed? Since we’ve seen the fallout of her discovery of the affair, the discovery scene itself would have little new to offer about the characters or the story.

by Anonymousreply 368April 17, 2019 10:28 PM

R368, since it's the catalyst of their breakup, yeah, we need to see it.

by Anonymousreply 369April 17, 2019 10:32 PM

Susan Misner's IBDB....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370April 17, 2019 10:34 PM

R352 Wrong.

For those interested Nicole posted receipts showing her tickets, what she bought for costumes (Liza Tedd $35 and the Gorilla head)

by Anonymousreply 371April 17, 2019 10:34 PM

Gwen actually found Fosse in bed with two German women, apparently he said he was rehearsing the "Two Ladies" number and was doing research, or something to the effect.

by Anonymousreply 372April 17, 2019 10:36 PM

Fosse/Verdon: The Tragic Story of Bob Fosse’s Second Wife, Joan McCracken

“Joan McCracken was single-handedly responsible for getting Bobby Fosse his first job as a choreographer on Broadway.”

Good read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373April 17, 2019 10:41 PM

Verdon should have been played by an actress of color. It's ridic that they cast yet another white woman

by Anonymousreply 374April 17, 2019 10:41 PM

I wish Fosse had been married to Lorena Bobbitt.

by Anonymousreply 375April 17, 2019 10:43 PM

That would have made the bent knees style understandable.

by Anonymousreply 376April 17, 2019 10:47 PM

"I'm trying to think who should have played Fosse... Jude Law, Ben Affleck, , somebody with more sex appeal than Rockwell for sure.

Bob Fosse had NO sex appeal. His choreography style was sexy but he sure wasn't. In fact, he always looked sickly even when young; pale, thin, with thinning hair. Constant smoking, poor diet, drink and drugs, little sleep...all that contributed to his unwell appearance. A good looking, sexy actor as Bob Fosse would have been miscasting.

by Anonymousreply 377April 17, 2019 10:49 PM

[quote]any Fosse biography type thing is to live up to All That Jazz

All That Jazz is fictionalized, and only deals with a specific period in Fosse/Sam Gideon's life. While it would have been great to see Leland Palmer actually play Gwen Verdon in a Verdon biopic, she doesn't get to do that much in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 378April 17, 2019 10:52 PM

Fun fact: Joan's first husband was Truman Capote fave Jack Dunphy.

by Anonymousreply 379April 17, 2019 10:57 PM

[quote] Verdon should have been played by an actress of color. It's ridic that they cast yet another white woman

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 380April 17, 2019 10:57 PM

Very true, R376.

by Anonymousreply 381April 17, 2019 10:58 PM

R380 One of those people who have been hired by Actors Equity with an official title, but in reality to make a barrier to make it more difficult for white folks to be cast, even though enough minorities don't show up when there are roles for POC.

by Anonymousreply 382April 17, 2019 11:32 PM

Really, r382? I kind of assumed that was a lame joke.

by Anonymousreply 383April 17, 2019 11:58 PM

I assumed it was a joke, too, a spoof of the kind of SJW thinking that goes on these days.

by Anonymousreply 384April 18, 2019 12:25 AM

Yeah, but you never know -- some folks take it too far.

by Anonymousreply 385April 18, 2019 12:38 AM

^^What, here on the DL? Impossible!

by Anonymousreply 386April 18, 2019 12:43 AM

r335, are you saying Sandahl's BARE titties in All That Jazz were fake?

by Anonymousreply 387April 18, 2019 12:51 AM

R387, what do you think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388April 18, 2019 12:56 AM

Who IRL was Autumn who was dancing with her?

by Anonymousreply 389April 18, 2019 1:00 AM

Leland Schwantes. Son is also a dancer.

by Anonymousreply 390April 18, 2019 1:01 AM

r388, they look real to me but I'm far from an expert.

by Anonymousreply 391April 18, 2019 1:03 AM

R391, when they stand straight up, they're implants. See, you learned something about titties on DL.

by Anonymousreply 392April 18, 2019 1:35 AM

I think the outside skin and the nipples are real, it's the stuffing which is suspect.

by Anonymousreply 393April 18, 2019 2:30 AM

"I assumed it was a joke, too, a spoof of the kind of SJW thinking that goes on these days."

Funny, because the people who whine about "SJWs" are mostly too busy watching Touch By an Angel reruns to care about this show

by Anonymousreply 394April 18, 2019 2:38 AM

R390 Get the fuck out of here! There were two people in the movie with the odd name of Leland, who both danced and were different genders? How bizarre is that??? Apparently, male Leland became a famous hand model, but I couldn’t find any pictures of him other than those in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 395April 18, 2019 2:41 AM

R395, watch this. It's Chita's night club act done on the Merv Griffin Show. It's the gayest thing ever and watch how fascinated Merv is with Leland who is one of Chita's dancers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396April 18, 2019 3:01 AM

McCracken was short, cute and charactery. Why would they pick Misner?

by Anonymousreply 397April 18, 2019 3:06 AM

Gwen's face was unfortunate

by Anonymousreply 398April 18, 2019 3:35 AM

Gwen put up with a lot.

by Anonymousreply 399April 18, 2019 3:48 AM

No, I'm not kidding. Actresses of color should have been considered for the Verdon role. I'm so sick of white actors getting roles by default. The privilege stinks and I'm over it.

by Anonymousreply 400April 18, 2019 9:57 AM

But r400 this role called for somebody who looks like her

by Anonymousreply 401April 18, 2019 10:54 AM

Oh, forget it, r400. It's difficult to engage with someone whose essential point is valid but who stretches it well beyond reason.

by Anonymousreply 402April 18, 2019 11:38 AM

Williams is really great in this.

by Anonymousreply 403April 18, 2019 2:19 PM

"No, I'm not kidding. Actresses of color should have been considered for the Verdon role. I'm so sick of white actors getting roles by default. The privilege stinks and I'm over it."

Trollin' trollin' trollin'

You're just here to get freepers stirred up about "political correctness" - the ones who are so concerned about color blind casting, but don't care if you cast a 30-year-old to play a 17-year-old, or if you hire a 45-year-old actor to play someone who died at 33, or if you hire a gorgeous actor to play someone who was fug in real life

by Anonymousreply 404April 18, 2019 4:00 PM

Misner was cast as Joan McCracken because producer Joel Fields had already worked with her on The Americans and she was hired as a technical advisor for the dance stuff because she’d been a Broadway dancer. Was she in Fosse’s Dancin’ when she was a very young girl?

by Anonymousreply 405April 18, 2019 5:09 PM

Why wasn't Lens Dunham casted as Gwen's love interest Dolores LaDanza?

by Anonymousreply 406April 18, 2019 5:20 PM

I guess Ethan whatsisname from Spongebob Squarepants got cut from the first episode? He was playing Joel Grey and apparently performed “Two Ladies.”

For those wondering what those random shots of Verdon taking a curtain call for it’s from when she did Can Can.

by Anonymousreply 407April 18, 2019 5:45 PM

R407, we know because she's holding her outfit in front of her, which is allegedly what happened after she did her number. The crowds were still cheering for her and she'd gotten out of her costume and had to return for a bow.

by Anonymousreply 408April 18, 2019 5:50 PM

See r370, r405. She'd was born in 1971 and Dancin' ran from 1978-82, so.....

by Anonymousreply 409April 18, 2019 6:22 PM

I think Misner did a production of Dancin’ in Japan, though.

by Anonymousreply 410April 18, 2019 6:41 PM

[quote] I guess Ethan whatsisname from Spongebob Squarepants got cut from the first episode? He was playing Joel Grey and apparently performed “Two Ladies.”

Slater is not supposed to show up until next week. He's listed as being in 6 of the 8 episodes, but not in either of the ones that have already aired.

by Anonymousreply 411April 18, 2019 6:56 PM

Why is it so boring? I thought these people were supposed to be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 412April 18, 2019 7:01 PM

R403 Absolutely! I wasn't a big fan of Michelle before this role. I think she is perfectly cast as Gwen. "Damn Yankees" has always been a favorite film of mine, and was actually my introduction to Fosse/Verdon. I love everything Fosse has done.

by Anonymousreply 413April 18, 2019 7:28 PM

R411, did you get that from imdb? That’s often wrong. I doubt Ethan Slater as Joel Grey is featured in 6 out of 8 episodes. Each episode focuses on different projects-Episode 1 focused on Cabaret and Sweet Charity and Episode 2 focused on Damn Yankees.

by Anonymousreply 414April 18, 2019 7:32 PM

I think Michelle has been surprisingly solid as Gwen. She has just enough of a singing voice to pull of the songs and she's not a bad dancer at all. The show itself is a bit meandering, but like someone else said, I don't think there are any big bombshells about Fosse and Verdon's lives that we didn't already know about.

by Anonymousreply 415April 18, 2019 8:16 PM

[quote] [R411], did you get that from imdb? That’s often wrong. I doubt Ethan Slater as Joel Grey is featured in 6 out of 8 episodes. Each episode focuses on different projects-Episode 1 focused on Cabaret and Sweet Charity and Episode 2 focused on Damn Yankees.

No it doesn't. The timeline is all over the place. Kelli Barrett is credited as being in seven episodes as Liza. They can't possibly be through with Cabaret already. It hasn't even been completed in the series, and there's no way they're going to skip its success and the fact that it did so well at the Oscars, winning for Fosse, Minnelli and Grey.

by Anonymousreply 416April 18, 2019 8:18 PM

I hope they touch on LIZA WITH A 'Z' - It did win him the Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 417April 18, 2019 8:40 PM

R417, they have eight fucking hours to kill, they should touch on it. They can tie that one in because Verdon was in the audience.

by Anonymousreply 418April 18, 2019 8:49 PM

R141 - Paula Kelly was the other 'Big Spender'. She was amazing and should have gone on to bigger things. I only remember her from SC and the first season of 'Night Court'.

by Anonymousreply 419April 18, 2019 8:58 PM

No, R416. Cabaret is never featured after Episode 1. The miniseries wouldn’t have time to return to that and still feature Lenny, Pippin, All That Jazz, Children, Children, Big Deal, Dancin’ and Star 80.

by Anonymousreply 420April 18, 2019 9:00 PM

R419, Kelly's career was killed when she appeared in Playboy and showed vage. Hairy bush didn't go over big.

I saw her about a decade or more ago judging a high school talent competition with DL fave Bonnie Franklin. She was very good in her observations.

by Anonymousreply 421April 18, 2019 9:00 PM

And the miniseries also has a section with Verdon doing the films Cocoon and Marvin’s Room. I wish it had contained her brief appearance on the daytime soap All My Children-she was a quick replacement for Carol Burnett as Judith Sawyer.

by Anonymousreply 422April 18, 2019 9:03 PM

I want to see Lilo having meltdowns over Verdon's dancing in the Garden of Eden and as an apache.

by Anonymousreply 423April 18, 2019 11:37 PM

I assume they will cover the filming of Damn Yankees.

by Anonymousreply 424April 18, 2019 11:42 PM

Lilo??

by Anonymousreply 425April 18, 2019 11:47 PM

She was the star of Can-Can and felt Gwen's success in her supporting numbers upstaged her.

by Anonymousreply 426April 18, 2019 11:48 PM

Here she is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427April 18, 2019 11:51 PM

[quote]Kelly's career was killed when she appeared in Playboy and showed vag

Word at the time was that booze and drugs are what did her in at "Night Court." I don't think anyone cared about her vag by that point.

by Anonymousreply 428April 19, 2019 12:30 AM

[quote]Cabaret is never featured after Episode 1. The miniseries wouldn’t have time to return to that and still feature Lenny, Pippin, All That Jazz, Children, Children, Big Deal, Dancin’ and Star 80.

Are you sure about that, or just guessing? Why would they have gone to the trouble of hiring Ethan Slater to play Joel Grey and then not use him? And I doubt that all those shows you list will be dealt with. I can't imagine Star 80 in it, for example. Plus, they filmed a recreation of the "Bye Bye Life" number from All That Jazz, and it sounds like it's going to be late in the series, last episode, which will lead directly to the scene on the opening night of the Charity tour when Fosse dies.

by Anonymousreply 429April 19, 2019 12:34 AM

R429, I know a crew guy on it and he told me that Pippin, Chicago, All That Jazz, Big Deal and Children!Children! are all featured in upcoming episodes and Star 80, Cocoon, Marvin’s Room and Liza With a Z are only touched on. There are only flashes of Cabaret in future episodes. Slater doing “Two Ladies” has been cut.

by Anonymousreply 430April 19, 2019 1:05 AM

Sorry, scratch that about “Two Ladies” being cut. It’s in the next episode. Fosse, his assistant Chrissy and editor David are watching it in the editing room and Fosse complains that it doesn’t move the story forward and is a “three minute jerk off.” Gwen shows up to tell her their housekeeper Diniz is sick, she has to go to a dinner meeting and dumps Nicole on Bob.

by Anonymousreply 431April 19, 2019 1:14 AM

The shooting of “Tomorrow Belongs To Me” is also in the next episode.

by Anonymousreply 432April 19, 2019 1:19 AM

[quote] Are you sure about that, or just guessing? Why would they have gone to the trouble of hiring Ethan Slater to play Joel Grey and then not use him? And I doubt that all those shows you list will be dealt with. I can't imagine Star 80 in it, for example. Plus, they filmed a recreation of the "Bye Bye Life" number from All That Jazz, and it sounds like it's going to be late in the series, last episode, which will lead directly to the scene on the opening night of the Charity tour when Fosse dies.

No, he's either trolling or he's a complete fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 433April 19, 2019 2:40 AM

I want to see Gwen and Thelma Ritter in a tie for Best Actress in a Musical accepting their awards, or at least interacting with each other. I don't know how they got on with each other, but they both sound fine on the OCR. I really like the score to "New Girl in Town".

Lilo actually had quite a nice voice on the OCR. Gwen was hired for the show since Lilo didn't dance, and the writers felt they needed a female character outside the chorus as a character in a show about can-can dancing, especially when the show is called "Can-Can". But while Lilo got mostly good reviews, Verdon stole the show. The show had some really other actors in it: Hans Conried, Peter Cookson, and Eric Rhodes (from two Astaire-Rogers films). But it was Gwen who made the sensation in it. Those are teases of her on stage holding her costume in front of her; she was recalled from the dressing room where she was already undressed and in the process of changing costumes when the audience started yelling out "We want Verdon!" for a curtain call.

by Anonymousreply 434April 19, 2019 3:01 AM

All that crap and no scenes with Gwen teaching MM and Jane Russell how to dance??

by Anonymousreply 435April 19, 2019 3:55 AM

Will there be a scene with Paula Kelly putting a curse on The Golden Girls?

by Anonymousreply 436April 19, 2019 4:09 AM

When will F/X do the Making of The Women Of Brewster Place docuseries?

by Anonymousreply 437April 19, 2019 4:12 AM

I think the theatrically based behind the scenes talent have simply lost their way on this one. They seem to think that every element of Fosse and Verdon's collaboration was worthy of examination. It's not and the audiences aren't interested in that. It's total vanity. Some of it is low grade camp, like when Fosse leaves McCracken and they started playing "Whatever Lola Wants" in the background.

by Anonymousreply 438April 19, 2019 4:19 AM

////

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439April 19, 2019 4:22 AM

Fosse's collapsing on a DC sidewalk, with Gwen by his side, will be high drama.

by Anonymousreply 440April 19, 2019 4:55 AM

R429 It also appears they will return to the filming of Sweet Charity, since the promos teased a recreation of The Rich Man's Frug number, although I guess that could be from the stage version. They haven't touched on that yet.

by Anonymousreply 441April 19, 2019 5:35 AM

Gwen on the Rosie O'Donnell Show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442April 19, 2019 6:05 AM

This is supposed to be a young Gwen but it's hard to recognize her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443April 19, 2019 10:56 AM

WIll we see them rehearsing Dancin'? Or how about "All That Jazz" with Roy Schreiber?

by Anonymousreply 444April 19, 2019 3:11 PM

^^are people posting on this thread from Shady Pines?^^

by Anonymousreply 445April 19, 2019 3:18 PM

Lail, Miranda and Levenson are all married but the production plays like a bizarre wishlist. They are looking for their own Gwen Verdon.

by Anonymousreply 446April 19, 2019 4:30 PM

One of the stand-ins on it told me that Michelle Williams was a cold cunt who got the original costume designer William Ivey Long as well as the wardrobe supervisor and hair/make-up department heads.

by Anonymousreply 447April 19, 2019 8:23 PM

Oops, I forgot to include she got them FIRED.

by Anonymousreply 448April 19, 2019 8:24 PM

R444 Was Roy Schreiber Avery's hot brother?

Scheider, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 449April 19, 2019 8:33 PM

Maybe he's a cousin of r446's Lail. AKA KAIL.

by Anonymousreply 450April 19, 2019 8:42 PM

R447 That makes me like her even more.

by Anonymousreply 451April 19, 2019 8:52 PM

6 time Tony winner William Ivey Long gets fired and doesn't make the papers?

by Anonymousreply 452April 19, 2019 9:37 PM

He was fired in pre-production.

by Anonymousreply 453April 19, 2019 10:11 PM

R447: If I had an entire production resting on my shoulders, I would ice out the pesky stand-ins and fire anyone who wasn't doing their job to make me look great, too.

by Anonymousreply 454April 19, 2019 10:36 PM

Thank you for your contribution to this thread, R454/Debra Messing.

by Anonymousreply 455April 19, 2019 11:55 PM

I saw next week's episode last night at the screening and talkback they had at the 92nd Street Y with the stars and creative team. Sam, Michelle, Lin-Manuel, etc. were all there along with Nicole Fosse (who came off as a real hoot, lots of personality). The episode was quite riveting I must say, with Michelle especially giving a beautifully-defined performance as Verdon. (Rockwell, while by no means embarrassing himself, is miscast in my opinion.) The talkback itself was sort of anemic -- none of them, save for Thomas Kail, the director, seemed to have much to say, with Lin-Manuel jumping in with jokes where needed to bridge any awkward silences. (Say what you will about Miranda, he knows how to work a crowd.)

As my friend who was with me pointed out, I believe the problem was that they did this talkback too soon in the series -- i.e., they only had 3 episodes to talk about. They should have waited until it was over and then had it, which would have given them a lot more breathing room to discuss what happens. (Neither Sam nor Michelle seemed all that thrilled about being there.)

by Anonymousreply 456April 19, 2019 11:59 PM

Interesting r456. For some reason, I can totally see both Sam and Michelle being cold interviews. They're excellent actors but they come across cold and aloof off the screen ( for me, anyway).

by Anonymousreply 457April 20, 2019 12:02 AM

Since you have seen episode 3 can you give us a plot synopsis please and tell of any set piece recreations.

by Anonymousreply 458April 20, 2019 12:33 AM

Michelle’s performance in this really puts her in another caliber of actors. She is simply brilliant. This is a career watershed for her.

by Anonymousreply 459April 20, 2019 12:37 AM

Everyone keeps raving about Michell's performance but I find her impression of Gwen a little too studied and forced. Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 460April 20, 2019 12:40 AM

I'm not sure saying her performance is too studied is a valid. Of course it's studied - she's playing a real person, not a fictional one. She would be criticised if she didn't try to emulate Verdon.

by Anonymousreply 461April 20, 2019 1:33 AM

R458, I don't want to give too much away but you will see a disturbing episode in Gwen's past come back to haunt her. You will also see a little bit more of Rockwell dancing as Fosse and the recreation of a pivotal moment in Verdon's career. (Peter Scolari also appears as well as Broadway favorites Norbert Leo Butz and Santino Fontana.) As for set recreations, the editor from Vanity Fair magazine who moderated the talk last night asked Nicole Fosse about their apartment. Believe it or not, she said that that entire set was reconstructed based solely on a collection of Polaroids she had taken of the apartment and that she was stunned at how close to the real thing it was. It was located at 69th and Central Park West and she said that when they lived there during her childhood it was actually a very sketchy neighborhood.

By the way, someone in the audience asked about the on-screen descriptions of time like "26 years left," etc. Lin-Manuel said those touches were lifted directly from the book that the series is based on.

by Anonymousreply 462April 20, 2019 1:35 AM

Compare Michelle as Gwen to Glenda Jackson when she played Patricia Neal in that made-for-TV movie about her strokes. Jackson used her usual English accent so made no attempt to emulate Neal's Southern one. So for me that was a failure.

by Anonymousreply 463April 20, 2019 1:38 AM

Do we ever see the actress playing Joan McCracken dancing? I wish they had cast someone with a little more quirkiness (like the original) than the generically bland brunette who plays her.

by Anonymousreply 464April 20, 2019 1:42 AM

R461, it appears you hit the nail right on the head: someone did ask Sam and Michelle last night about their technique where it came to playing these two very real people and Michelle said it was a two-pronged approach: one part studious and one part what she called "free to dream," which I took to mean approaching them just as characters at a certain point and less like real people. Sam wholeheartedly agreed with her answer.

by Anonymousreply 465April 20, 2019 1:43 AM

I saw an interview with Naomi Watts about doing Diana. She said it was daunting because she was playing a real person, and more than that, the most observed woman in the world at one time, and the actress knew the daggers would be out for her. So she studied the voice and the mannerisms, like in the famous Martin Bashir interview and for her public appearances, but then she was free to do what she wanted for private moments where no knew what was really said or what happened. Also Watts is shorter than Diana was but that more a problem for the director to cover up.

by Anonymousreply 466April 20, 2019 1:50 AM

I never knew Magnum P.I.'s mom was at one time a famous dancer

by Anonymousreply 467April 20, 2019 1:55 AM

r461, I guess what I mean is that her performance strikes me as too self-conscious. Meryl Streep's Maggy Thatcher impression seemed forced in the same way.

by Anonymousreply 468April 20, 2019 2:27 AM

[quote]Margaret Qualley is Ann Reinking. Qualley is best known for her role in HBO's The Leftovers. But 2019 is poised to be her breakout year, ...

Qualley is a much better actress than her mother Andie MacDowell.

by Anonymousreply 469April 20, 2019 2:51 AM

The ratings for the second episode dropped by almost a third and the premier wasn't a big hit to begin with. This isn't going to be pretty.

by Anonymousreply 470April 20, 2019 4:41 AM

r470 No surprise

by Anonymousreply 471April 20, 2019 4:59 AM

R456, was Rockwell’s horrible wife Leslie Bibb with him? The blonde who never shuts up on the red carpet at awards shows?

The “disturbing episode in Gwen’s life” in the next episode concerns her son who was born before she moved to NY. The episode is rather self-consciously titled “Me and My Baby.” Yeah, yeah, I know that’s a song from Chicago but still.

by Anonymousreply 472April 20, 2019 5:08 AM

R472, you just made me think of Ipji from Futurama with the "horrible wife" observation.

by Anonymousreply 473April 20, 2019 5:42 AM

R469 What do the ratings matter here though? It's a mini-series, it's been made and paid for and slotted to be seen. Whoever is interested will watch it, and if people talk about it and like it, others will watch. In other words -- quit yer bitchin' as it don't matter.

by Anonymousreply 474April 20, 2019 6:49 AM

above meant for R470 .

by Anonymousreply 475April 20, 2019 6:50 AM

[quote] Qualley is a much better actress than her mother Andie MacDowell.

Darling, Pia Zadora is a better actress than Andie MacDowell.

by Anonymousreply 476April 20, 2019 6:56 AM

Qualley's also quite a good dancer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477April 20, 2019 7:05 AM

If it was a 1920s Hollywood story Gwen's son would join her and Fosse on the circuit to be a great vaudeville act.

by Anonymousreply 478April 20, 2019 7:16 AM

I thought Williams was dreadful in episode 2. She overacted her reactions to seeing McCraken in the rehearsal room, and the crying scene on the beach was ham-city. Oy.

by Anonymousreply 479April 20, 2019 7:33 AM

R479 Did Jimmy die or something?

by Anonymousreply 480April 20, 2019 8:00 AM

Verdon was a dramatic and somewhat over the top woman, so I think Michelle was channeling her correctly by being over the top as well, in the rehearsal and beach scenes

by Anonymousreply 481April 20, 2019 9:40 AM

Jimmy did not inherit his mother's ability to dance.

by Anonymousreply 482April 20, 2019 9:42 AM

R393, You THINK "the outside is real"?! NS, S! The implants go UNDERNEATH the skin. As for r391, Man, are you dumb.

by Anonymousreply 483April 20, 2019 10:04 AM

R472, Rockwell and Bibb are not married.

by Anonymousreply 484April 20, 2019 10:08 AM

R400 is a complete moron. Would she like to see Tom Hanks, say, portray Malcolm X?

by Anonymousreply 485April 20, 2019 10:24 AM

And speaking of ethnicity, am I the only one who finds “Who’s Got the Pain” somewhat racist? I know it was perfectly acceptable in the 1950’s, but why would the producers of the mini-series choose to harp so much on a number that makes a buffoonery of an ethnic group? It would be like a biopic of Judy Garland or Fred Astaire glorifying the musical numbers they did in blackface at some points in their early careers.

Plus, the “mambo” choreography (more like a half-time merengue) was hideous. Not Fosse’s finest moment.

by Anonymousreply 486April 20, 2019 10:36 AM

Musicals of the fifties always had the obligatory mambo number and rarely was it done right (Big exceptions are West Side Story and another musical ABOUT the fifties, Dirty Dancing). But at least they weren’t as insulting as Damn Yankees, where white people poke fun at a Latin dance with retarded characterizations.

by Anonymousreply 487April 20, 2019 10:41 AM

*Not to derail the thread, BUT...I also don't think Andie MacDowell is much of an actress, but watch the new season of CUCKOO on Netflix. She's on it this season and she is excellent, totally hilarious. Not sure how they got this performance out of her.*

Back to the show: I'd never heard of Joan McCracken before this. What a talent! And sad story.

by Anonymousreply 488April 20, 2019 11:34 AM

MacDowell was also a revelation in Sex, Lies and Videotape, and Short Cuts. I guess a good director can do wonders.

by Anonymousreply 489April 20, 2019 11:36 AM

A pic of the team at the 92nd Street Y night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490April 20, 2019 11:51 AM

Not a surprise, but F/V is the lowest rated FX show of the season:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491April 20, 2019 12:09 PM

Maybe the low ratings are the reason Williams and Rockwell were less than thrilled to be at that screening.

by Anonymousreply 492April 20, 2019 12:15 PM

Look at their body language in that pic and the way they are leaning away from each other.

by Anonymousreply 493April 20, 2019 2:56 PM

Anybody go to the Paley Center exhibit? How is it?

by Anonymousreply 494April 20, 2019 2:57 PM

They got along fine on the set according to my crew friend.

by Anonymousreply 495April 20, 2019 3:00 PM

Michelle Williams is mesmerising in this. I've watched the 2nd episode (most of it) twice. Her scene with Aya Cash as Joan Simon when she asks her how it is she doesn't miss dancing and Simon says, "I'm not Gwen Verdon." Williams' response is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 496April 20, 2019 3:08 PM

Any coverage of All That Jazz seems meta to me as you have Sam playing Bob directing Roy playing Bob. it makes my head explode.

by Anonymousreply 497April 20, 2019 3:12 PM

R483 Of course the outside is real. You can't take everything here seriously. Just funning with you. Chill.

by Anonymousreply 498April 20, 2019 3:39 PM

R474 has to be LMM. Only someone associated with a flop would try to justify lousy ratings/attendance.

by Anonymousreply 499April 20, 2019 4:01 PM

Mary Ann Niles was Fosse's first wife. He asked Michael Bennett to give her a job in "Ballroom" which he did then Fosse started badmouthing Bennett publicly, especially about ACL. That was certainly jealousy because he had eclipsed Fosse but Bennett couldn't understand doing someone a favor and then have them publicly trash you.

Prince gave Nicole a job in Phantom but he never said anything about him.

by Anonymousreply 500April 20, 2019 4:12 PM

Why so fixated on ratings? In this day and age when people binge watch shows from their dvrs or on demand, and on off of streaming sites, ratings don't give a full picture of what people are watching.

by Anonymousreply 501April 20, 2019 4:44 PM

R501, LMM, don't you another touring company of Hamilton to supervise. That's a hit. Audiences love it and it sells out everywhere. F/V is not.

by Anonymousreply 502April 20, 2019 5:14 PM

The ratings won't matter.

This is a one-off. It was never going to be renewed.

It is a prestige project for FX. If it gets lots of Emmys, FX will be thrilled.

by Anonymousreply 503April 20, 2019 5:15 PM

R503, it won't get any Emmys. Williams might get a nomination but that's about it. It will be forgotten by the time the nominations roll around.

by Anonymousreply 504April 20, 2019 5:22 PM

I'm sure Rockwell will be nominated, although I think he's miscast.

by Anonymousreply 505April 20, 2019 5:25 PM

Yeah, Rockwell is hitting all sorts of false notes. Usually he's a chameleon, an actor who embodies the characters plays so completely it usually takes me a while to recognize him. But here, there are times when he comes across as an actor clumsily saying his lines, which is a first from him in my opinion.

I don't know if I'll stick this one out, but I think I'll watch as many episodes as I can fit into my odd schedule. Fosse has always fascinated me, Williams is so good, and there's Fosse choreography to watch.

by Anonymousreply 506April 20, 2019 5:34 PM

Agreed r506. I honestly just see Sam Rockwell trying to play Bob Fosse, but I completely believe Williams as Verdon.

by Anonymousreply 507April 20, 2019 5:38 PM

I think Williams is a shoo-in for a nomination. And possibly a win.

by Anonymousreply 508April 20, 2019 5:38 PM

Do you really think LMM would be here? Actually he might try to keep current on this demographics' feelings on musicals and such. No, but I'm the one called out for possibly being him when I just said that the show has already been made, so what does it really matter about ratings. There's not going to be a sequel.

by Anonymousreply 509April 20, 2019 5:42 PM

Has Michelle ever won anything? It seems she’s one of these actresses who’s always nominated but never can actually win.

by Anonymousreply 510April 20, 2019 5:42 PM

Williams is another chameleon and one who's getting it right, she really REALLY looks like Verdon.

Although as noted, she doesn't have Verdon's figure. They really should have done something about that. If Verdon could suffer through wearing the Merry Widow foundation garments of the fifties to get that shape, so should Williams!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511April 20, 2019 5:43 PM

She's won a few Critics awards but not any leading awards as of yet. She's been nominated four times for an Oscar.

I didn't know she's set to play Christa McAuliffe, the teacher who died in the Challenger disaster.

by Anonymousreply 512April 20, 2019 5:51 PM

^did you know McAuliffe had blue eyes?...

by Anonymousreply 513April 20, 2019 5:55 PM

FX sold this series on a certain ratings guarantee to the advertisers. One thing networks don't want to do is give away free air time because the series didn't hit projections. F/V almost certainly will have the bottom drop out if it's already the lowest rated show on the network.

by Anonymousreply 514April 20, 2019 6:23 PM

I don't know a lot about Fosse/Verdon backstory, so I do like learning about them. But I am not enjoying the flipping between time periods.

"2,389 days until Joan McKracken's death." REALLY?

by Anonymousreply 515April 20, 2019 6:41 PM

I wanna know who LMM really is. Not when he's acting, promoting, and kissing ass. His wife looks bitchy. I just know he's gay.

by Anonymousreply 516April 20, 2019 8:22 PM

That IS who he really is and that is what he really does.

by Anonymousreply 517April 20, 2019 9:03 PM

Williams will win the Emmy and The Golden Globe. She is this year's Jessica Lange. I predicted right here that Lange would win 5 minutes after the pilot of American Horror Story Murder House" ended.

by Anonymousreply 518April 20, 2019 9:12 PM

Mary Ann Niles became the ultimate Broadway gypsy, appearing in many Broadway choruses from the 1950s through Ballroom in 1978. She was beloved by her colleagues and even cast by Donald Saddler as one of Nanette's young "friends" in No No Nanette at the tender age of 48.

She died in 1987. I wonder if Bobby continued to pay her a hefty alimony through all of those years?

by Anonymousreply 519April 20, 2019 9:15 PM

Agreed. Michelle is deservedly a lock for this year's Emmy.

She's amazing in this and it was very smart of her to take on the project.

by Anonymousreply 520April 20, 2019 9:16 PM

Ann Reinking muscles her way through I'm a Brass Band like a tread less tank. It really makes you appreciate the fluidity of Verdon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521April 20, 2019 9:36 PM

I agree, R515, the seemingly random shuffling of time periods detracts from the propulsion of the story. Just as I'm getting invested in the plot, the scene shifts to 20 years later.

I don't care how the book is arranged, this is a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 522April 20, 2019 10:04 PM

I don't so much mind the time shifts but the scene titles are totally confusing and unhelpful. And Gwen's look doesn't change much (either in real life or on the series) so her hairdos and costumes also are no clear indication of the period.

by Anonymousreply 523April 20, 2019 10:11 PM

That's part of my problem with the setup, R523. It takes me out of the show to have to study the hair and clothing to decide where the scene fits into the timeline, and sometimes the only thing I have to go on is Sam's hairpiece.

by Anonymousreply 524April 20, 2019 10:15 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 525April 20, 2019 10:45 PM

[quote] I predicted right here that Lange would win 5 minutes after the pilot of American Horror Story Murder House" ended.

Amazing, just amazing. You are so smart!

by Anonymousreply 526April 20, 2019 11:11 PM

[quote]Has Michelle ever won anything? It seems she’s one of these actresses who’s always nominated but never can actually win.

That's awful.

by Anonymousreply 527April 20, 2019 11:17 PM

I looked for "Damn Yankees" on streaming, and it isn't available. Shame -- it would've been nice to see it with Fosse/Verdon on now. Who was the Gwen Verdon character in All That Jazz?

(For the theatre queens here... I looked for DY on streaming and it isn't available . Shame -- it would've been nice to see it with F/V on now. Who was the GV character in ATJ?)

by Anonymousreply 528April 21, 2019 12:39 AM

R528 - the Leland Palmer character

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 529April 21, 2019 12:46 AM

Shame they really undercast Joan McCracken with Susan Misner, who’s likeable but in no way gives us any sense of what a fascinating performer McCracken was.

by Anonymousreply 530April 21, 2019 12:49 AM

I don't mind time shifting but I agree they don't really do much with the makeup and hair to distinguish them that much.

I was watching one scene and didn't realize it was still in the 50s. I thought it was the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 531April 21, 2019 12:50 AM

thanks, r528. I saw Leland Palmer in Pippen.

by Anonymousreply 532April 21, 2019 12:52 AM

Leland Palmer makes Glenn look positively fetching, doesn't she? A compliment, no?

by Anonymousreply 533April 21, 2019 1:19 AM

[quote]Prince gave Nicole a job in Phantom but he never said anything about him.

That might be because he'd been dead for several months by the time Phantom opened.

by Anonymousreply 534April 21, 2019 1:20 AM

Nicole was always way too short to have a successful career as a dancer. So she didn't

by Anonymousreply 535April 21, 2019 1:24 AM

Dear Leland Palmer. She could always kick her legs in the air higher than anyone.

And wider.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536April 21, 2019 1:28 AM

.....and Mary Ann

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537April 21, 2019 1:35 AM

Anyone who can’t appreciate Michelle’s beach scene knows nothing of the craft of acting, its complexity and the raw and honest application of technique so that none of it is visible. She is giving a master class. Engrave the Emmy now.

by Anonymousreply 538April 21, 2019 1:38 AM

You Reinking haters are nuts. And to check have gotten a copy of the 'Charity' house camera video, going to watch and check her out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539April 21, 2019 1:42 AM

and Mary Ann...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540April 21, 2019 1:49 AM

Dear Annie:

Our friends just got together and had a good laugh watching you at the Academy Awards on YouTube. We especially loved your expression at the end, like "I nailed it". Well, yes, you nailed it, all right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541April 21, 2019 2:13 AM

[quote]Anyone who can’t appreciate Michelle’s beach scene knows nothing of the craft of acting, its complexity and the raw and honest application of technique so that none of it is visible. She is giving a master class. Engrave the Emmy now.

And the scene where Gwen sees the wife for the first time in the rehearsal studios, she ran the gamut, embarrassed she was fucking her husband, shock the wife was so bad in condition she couldn't stand and all the while try not to be noticed and wanting to watch their interaction.

by Anonymousreply 542April 21, 2019 2:18 AM

r538, if a performance requires knowledge of the craft of acting in order to be appreciated, then it isn't that good.

by Anonymousreply 543April 21, 2019 2:18 AM

I watched some of Damn Yankees and Gwen was shockingly thin, and so was Fosse in Who's Got the Pain. Maybe they were on the Hollywood movie diet.

by Anonymousreply 544April 21, 2019 3:50 AM

How did you like Tab Hunter, r544?

by Anonymousreply 545April 21, 2019 3:51 AM

heres a link for the full movie Damn Yankees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546April 21, 2019 3:57 AM

R545 He stinks and has zero presence. As with every film he made

by Anonymousreply 547April 21, 2019 3:58 AM

Why didn't Gwen make more movies after Damn Yankees? She really didn't start doing movies again until the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 548April 21, 2019 3:58 AM

Because the 1950s was not into quirky looking leading ladies, r548.

by Anonymousreply 549April 21, 2019 4:00 AM

Interesting note about Damn Yankees....with the exception of Tab Hunter, the entire cast was the original Broadway cast.

by Anonymousreply 550April 21, 2019 4:03 AM

As noted many times above, R548, Gwen had a face built for the last row of the theater. She was also not the greatest actress and her voice was pretty hard to take, even in the 50s.

by Anonymousreply 551April 21, 2019 4:09 AM

It's interesting to look at All that Jazz after seeing Joan McCracken and see how Fosse filmed Jessica Lange to look like her, even though Lange looks little like McCracken. I remember at the time the film came out that there was a big profile of Fosse in, I think, Film Comment. I can't find it online, but one of the things that sticks with me is that Gwen Verdon said something about how Fosse never got over Joan McCracken dying so young on him--as if he hadn't left her. Fosse was such a messy head case, I can believe it.

McCracken clearly had a strong affect on the men in her life. Jack Dunphy claimed that if she hadn't left him, he'd have stayed on the straight and narrow and never have ended up with Truman Capote for 30 years. Ummm, sure dude.

by Anonymousreply 552April 21, 2019 4:19 AM

R552 it was such an idealized portrait of McCracken yet he really socked it to Verdon in ATJ. BTW, the series will also show his attempted assault on Jennifer Nairn Smith as well as his attempted seduction of Cheryl Clark which resulted in him firing her from the Air-Rotica number which made a star of Sandahl Bergman.

by Anonymousreply 553April 21, 2019 4:24 AM

I thought I read in one of the Fosse biographies that Lange managed to fend off his advances so that she never slept with him, yet still got that part in All That Jazz.

by Anonymousreply 554April 21, 2019 4:44 AM

R554, she was already with him before she was in ATJ, so she must have slept with him at some point.

by Anonymousreply 555April 21, 2019 4:49 AM

R545 - I was only dipping into the film here and there to remind me of Verdon. I watched her numbers and of course Tab is in Whatever Lola Wants and Two Lost Souls, the latter where he even sings and dances.

by Anonymousreply 556April 21, 2019 4:49 AM

Wasn't Lange seeing Mikhail B at the same time as Fosse?

by Anonymousreply 557April 21, 2019 4:52 AM

R554, I don't think that's true. Jessica dated Fosse briefly, but chose Baryshnikov and had his baby. Nevermind that she was still married to Spanish painter, Paco Grande, at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558April 21, 2019 5:11 AM

Back in the day, the gossip was that Lange had taken a break from Baryshnikov to have an affair with Fosse. She certainly enjoyed her youth, didn't she!

And I hadn't realized that the "Angel" figure in "ATJ" was supposed to represent McCracken, I'd never heard that one before in all our discussions about the film. But it makes complete sense, now that someone's said it. As for the "Verdon" character in that film, I wouldn't say the portrayal is completely unkind. Yes, he's unkind about the woman's aging, but you can tell that every critical thing she says about Joe Gideon is true, if not erring on the side of kindness.

by Anonymousreply 559April 21, 2019 5:13 AM

R559, don't forget the moment where she said Airotica is the best thing he's ever done and then spits out "you son of a bitch."

by Anonymousreply 560April 21, 2019 5:17 AM

Fosse discusses McCracken at 5:10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561April 21, 2019 5:22 AM

Did he fuck Liza?

by Anonymousreply 562April 21, 2019 5:27 AM

Betty Comden said McCracken was the most special to Fosse of all the women and she was really "the one" as far as he was concerned. You can really hear it in that interview.

by Anonymousreply 563April 21, 2019 5:29 AM

R562, Everybody fucked Liza.

by Anonymousreply 564April 21, 2019 5:31 AM

I wonder if Julie Hagerty will be portrayer in the miniseries

by Anonymousreply 565April 21, 2019 5:32 AM

Sorry, I meant “portrayed.”

by Anonymousreply 566April 21, 2019 5:32 AM

Fuck you R564. And I told her to keep away from Lisa.

by Anonymousreply 567April 21, 2019 5:33 AM

Anyone have any stories about another fabulous gypsy, Cathryn Damon, known also also as Skipper Damon? She's most well known for playing Mary (Jessica's sister) on "Soap".

by Anonymousreply 568April 21, 2019 6:14 AM

I never saw the Airotica comment as socking it to Verdon, more that it was socking it to himself.

Years ago, the Airotica number was on YouTube and one of the male dancers in it (Gary, maybe?) was in the comments--mentioned Cheryl Clark refusing to go topless, Sandahl Bergmann liking he-man types (no wonder she ended up in Conan), also that the Airotica number was quite difficult--specifically the male duet--he brought in a Juilliard-trained dancer for it because of the lifts.

Funny thing about Fosse is that he was an amazing dancer, but he didn't have a connection with the audience on film--it must have been weird to be someone who wanted to be Fred Astaire and have the dancing talent, but not the star quality. Meanwhile, he was terrific at showcasing the talent of others--Liza Minnelli, Joel Grey, Gwen Verdon, Roy Scheider, Ann Reinking, Ben Vereen--every one of them gave their best performance under Fosse.

Though Joel Grey is an interesting case, he'd played the emcee on Broadway under another director--he said in an interview that Fosse didn't really want him--he wanted to play the part of the emcee himself. He told the studio it was either him or Joel Grey--no one else would do. The studio picked Grey.

by Anonymousreply 569April 21, 2019 6:22 AM

That first Mary Ann Niles/Bob Fosse clip opens up for a while focusing on their feet, which perhaps might have been Tommy Tune's inspiration for the "Famous Feet" number from "A Day in Hollywood/A Night in the Ukraine" (which was a fabulous number and a really fun show!).

by Anonymousreply 570April 21, 2019 6:22 AM

What were Fosse's reviews like when he played "Pal Joey" in a revival? I think it was at City Center around 1950 or so.

by Anonymousreply 571April 21, 2019 6:24 AM

R571, With Viveca Lindfors, my ex's cousin.

by Anonymousreply 572April 21, 2019 6:36 AM

It was a short run from May 29 to June 9, 1963.

by Anonymousreply 573April 21, 2019 6:40 AM

He got a Best Actor in a Musical Tony nomination.

by Anonymousreply 574April 21, 2019 6:41 AM

Bert Lahr won for Foxy.

by Anonymousreply 575April 21, 2019 6:43 AM

Emmy nominations for both Williams and Rockwell. Williams will moreover win.

by Anonymousreply 576April 21, 2019 6:46 AM

You know, in these interviews, Fosse is better looking than Rockwell is in the tv movie and his hair isn't nearly the awful mess it looks like in the tv movie. Yes, he's balding, but it's still not the hideous combover they've given Rockwell. That wasn't nice. He's also a lot more charismatic than Rockwell. I can see why women found him attractive.

by Anonymousreply 577April 21, 2019 7:02 AM

Fosse would have looked cuter and younger when he was more mature without the goatee. You can still see the baby face there.

by Anonymousreply 578April 21, 2019 7:09 AM

I agree r577. And he seems more... joyful. Rockwell just comes across as joyless and pissed off.

by Anonymousreply 579April 21, 2019 7:29 AM

R571 - Lewis Funke in The New York Times wrote that Fosse conveyed the cynicism of the role but seemed to miss the bite and brittleness.

by Anonymousreply 580April 21, 2019 7:33 AM

The New York Times said...”Bad!”

by Anonymousreply 581April 21, 2019 10:59 AM

There are plenty of pictures of Fosse when he was older and his hair does look a mess. I think it was just very thin, very straight and stringy, and had no body, so whenever he let it grow just a bit, it got unruly.

by Anonymousreply 582April 21, 2019 11:04 AM

Hollywood Reporter article about the ratings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 583April 21, 2019 1:34 PM

After Fosse fired Clark and hired Bergman for Airotica, he then tried to pimp her out to Daniel Melnick to try to get more money and time for the movie. Bergman told him that if he made the call, she would go back to LA that day and wouldn't complete filming. She was dating Andy Bew who was the inspiration for Don in ACL. Bew also dated Kelly Bishop.

by Anonymousreply 584April 21, 2019 2:18 PM

I’m watching All That Jazz again. I haven’t seen it since the early ‘80s. It’s seems even more self-indulgent now than it did then.

by Anonymousreply 585April 21, 2019 3:50 PM

Is Ann Reinking playing herself in All That Jazz?

by Anonymousreply 586April 21, 2019 4:02 PM

Was Ann Reinking seeing Fosse while she was married to Herbert Allen, who was infamously involved in that Cliff Robertson-David Begelman check writing movie studio scandal which a book was written about?

by Anonymousreply 587April 21, 2019 4:12 PM

Don't know who that was in R561 clip but she was terrific and that was a great interview.

by Anonymousreply 588April 21, 2019 4:20 PM

Reinking was more or less playing herself in All That Jazz. She supposedly did ask Fosse if he had to be so generous with his cock.

by Anonymousreply 589April 21, 2019 4:25 PM

R587, no that was after they had broken up. Reinking and Allen were allegedly introduced by Merv Griffin who loved having Reinking on his show and Allen was a huge investment banker so she made out well.

by Anonymousreply 590April 21, 2019 4:25 PM

I wonder if she went after the role of Lily in the awful film version of Annie but got saddled with Grace, instead.

by Anonymousreply 591April 21, 2019 4:45 PM

If this thread is going to continue to thread 2, could somebody please create it and put the link here before this one closes, because the search function on DL sucks.

by Anonymousreply 592April 21, 2019 8:35 PM

Part 2......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593April 21, 2019 8:42 PM

I hope someone decides after "Fosse/Verdon" to do a full-length "Chita/Rita". Even though I don't think the two ladies interacted too much (other than Rita doing film versions that Chita created on stage), I think it could be a hoot. Of course Gerard Allesandrini's version in "Forbidden Broadway" is hootilicious.

by Anonymousreply 594April 21, 2019 9:12 PM

I’m with those who think there should be a separate thread for each episode. There are only 8 of them, after all.

by Anonymousreply 595April 21, 2019 9:51 PM

r595 second separate read on episode 2 did not even hit 100 replies, no need to perpetrate threads for every episode

by Anonymousreply 596April 21, 2019 9:53 PM

Bajour!

by Anonymousreply 597April 21, 2019 9:55 PM

Will anyone even be watching by episode 8?

by Anonymousreply 598April 21, 2019 9:57 PM

Gwen wasn't in "Bajour" - Chita was.

New Girl in Town

by Anonymousreply 599April 21, 2019 9:58 PM

R598

I will. I'm enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 600April 21, 2019 10:02 PM

Finito

by Anonymousreply 601April 21, 2019 10:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!