Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Frank Sinatra Stories

A continuation of anecdotes about the greatest singer of our time and all time.

by Anonymousreply 65June 19, 2019 12:14 PM

Sinatra and Streisand. There was interest in having both of these legends team up for a TV special somewhere around 1967-68. It might have been between Barbra's Central Park concert and film premiere of "Funny Girl." Sinatra apparently was interested, as was Streisand's long time manager Marty Ehrlichman. It would be a show of just them singing, but Streisand seemed to chicken out. Something about Sinatra made her wary. Perhaps, he was one of those few on whom she couldn't pull her take over shit. It would probably have happened around the time of Frank and Ella's special. He was still in fine voice and the pairing of the two of them might have been classic. Does anybody know more about why this never came to be?

by Anonymousreply 1April 9, 2019 9:47 PM

Lena Horne hated his spaghetti eating guts. The feeling was mutual.

by Anonymousreply 2April 9, 2019 9:58 PM

Because Lena had very similar temperament. A egocentric, rude, nasty bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3April 9, 2019 10:00 PM

Lena and Ava happened to be very close friends. Very close...

by Anonymousreply 4April 9, 2019 10:01 PM

Too OLD, R1. Plus Funny Girl was Bab's show, she didn't want to take second billing. It would have been a nightmare with one-take-Frank not working as hard as nervous Streisand the Perfectionist.

R3, Frank thought Lena was one of Ava's former lovers, hence the dislike.

by Anonymousreply 5April 9, 2019 10:02 PM

Maybe she could have given Frank suggestions on a better rug to wear. An afro maybe.

by Anonymousreply 6April 10, 2019 1:45 AM

Bump. This thread should have been titled Frank Sinatra Anecdotes Part 2!

by Anonymousreply 7April 19, 2019 4:38 AM

Frank was probably bipolar or at least suffered periodically from episodes. Very moody..very depressed or very high and often angry. He would sulk for weeks then go on a crazy party jag in which he could be very generous and funny. Most of his young and ' Rat pack ' years were fueled by drugs booze and sex. He is often called a nasty punk with a bad attitude. He mellowed in his later years .

by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2019 5:32 AM

R8 Maybe. I don't think so, though. I think he was just spoiled and entitled.

by Anonymousreply 9April 19, 2019 5:37 AM

Did not like his singing

by Anonymousreply 10April 19, 2019 5:41 AM

Frank, why'd you fuck up "New York, New York" with your "A-number one" bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 11April 19, 2019 9:22 AM

R8 is the Sinatra was Bipolar troll. It isn't working.

Sinatra was a punk, add alcoholism and a massive chip on his shoulder. There are no excuses for his boorish behavior. Being an asshole is being an asshole. He got depressed? Boo hoo.

by Anonymousreply 12April 19, 2019 2:59 PM

Frank did not take drugs, moron r8.

by Anonymousreply 13April 19, 2019 3:04 PM

Sinatra hated drugs and people who did them, although he was on Elavil at the end of his life for mood control thanks to Barbara.

by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2019 3:04 PM

He is adequate at best

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2019 4:36 PM

He's was like me, only not good looking or as good.

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2019 4:37 PM

Frank by the mid 1960s was taking daily injections of testosterone administered by a nurse, according to Kitty Kelley's book "His Way." This was in his 50ish change of life period when he married Mia and felt compelled to keep up with a younger generation that would leave him behind.

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2019 5:30 PM

Sinatra was not bipolar. He was Italian.

by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2019 5:33 PM

R!8 Same Thing.

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2019 5:47 PM

R14, Elavil destroys your sex drive, not that Frankie had much in later life.

by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2019 5:58 PM

The stories about Sinatra at the end of his life are kind of sad, what with his greedy dominating 4th wife feuding with his kids, who didn't see all that much of him at the end because otherwise they'd tear Barbara's wig off.

I finished the book by Sinatra's valet - highly recommended, a hoot - and want to at least read Tina's memoir published a couple of years after his death. I think Nancy Jr's book would be a bit sappy, while Tina probably digs a bit deeper and certainly would go full in on her stepmother and all the problems there.

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2019 7:29 PM

If I were any of Frank's kids, there's no way that two-bit whore would have kept me from my father on his death bed. I would have broken through the gates, grabbed that ostrich-necked, fucked out old Zeppo relic and done some expert pillow therapy and then thrown her in the pool like Carol Wayne. The nerve!

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2019 8:21 PM

[ 13 ] Moron. In the late 50s early 60s Frank was known to be a " patent " of Dr Feelgood ,Max Jackobson. Do you think those injections he received were just vitamins ? So before you start calling other individuals " Moron " I suggest you know what your talking about...Jackass

by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2019 9:22 PM

It all started catching up with him when his voice starting showing wear and tear and by 55, he looked 70. At 70, he looked 85. He had the good sense to retire in 1971. Should have stayed that way.

by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2019 9:40 PM

R21, that's a fun book, but 50% is ridiculously false. He saw Garbo and Dietrich making out in the pool? He claims the Lena-Sinatra feud started because she refused him? Puleeese.

by Anonymousreply 25April 19, 2019 10:04 PM

"Frank was probably bipolar or at least suffered periodically from episodes. Very moody..very depressed or very high and often angry. He would sulk for weeks then go on a crazy party jag in which he could be very generous and funny."

Oh bull, he wasn't bipolar, he was just emotional. Like most people.

Sometimes he'd feel happy and confident, and other times he'd devote days or weeks to nursing a grudge or feeling sorry for himself. Because he was rich, surrounded by yes-men, and connected, he didn't have to snap out of those moods and earn a living or deal with his family's needs, he could take as long as he liked with his asshole moods. And snap out of them by having his goons rough someone up.

by Anonymousreply 26April 19, 2019 10:13 PM

Starting at 6:42, Barbra doesn't appear to be all that enthused by Frank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 20, 2019 1:01 AM

^ neither is anyone else...especially since "STAR" was a humongous BOMB-0 in 1968.

by Anonymousreply 28April 20, 2019 1:06 AM

R28 but the song was okay

by Anonymousreply 29April 20, 2019 1:40 AM

[ 25 ]. " oh bull, He was just emotional " You sound like a simpleton.

by Anonymousreply 30April 20, 2019 3:14 AM

For r27....Frank , in his final performing years and even at the very last performance was still interesting and worth listening to, he never really lost 'it',,,, on the other hand Babs today.......well - to be charitable - it would have to be 'an acquired taste'.

by Anonymousreply 31April 20, 2019 9:09 AM

R31, Sinatra was at his peak of his fame and performance in the 1960s, he was deemed a legend and could still sing great. He produced best selling LPs, was still a movie star and appeared in a series of excellent and highly rated TV specials. The problem for him - and all of the other adult popular singers - was the change in music and lack of good material. The record companies dumped on these singers (sing contemporary music or out), and subsequently drove their fans out of record stores. Sinatra "retired" for two years as a result.

R30, I didn't say "He was just emotional," that was R26. But Sinatra was an insecure swaggering bully who threw his weight around because he could. Friends have testified that he was basically an unhappy person who couldn't be alone. That's not bi-polar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 20, 2019 3:21 PM

r23 r30 Please learn how to reference earlier posts. Until then, you shouldn't be calling anyone else "moron."

by Anonymousreply 33April 20, 2019 5:37 PM

Sinatra probably thought that drugs "medicine" prescribed by doctors were not drugs.

by Anonymousreply 34April 20, 2019 6:47 PM

[R33] You're absolutely right. Prissy Ribbon clerk would be far more appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 35April 20, 2019 6:55 PM

OP, you are supposed to post a link to the original or previous thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2019 6:58 PM

Boy, that performance of "Star" at the Academy Awards was painful. A lackluster, rendition (he was out of synch with the orchestra and throwing in those "ring-a-ding-ding" extra words) plus all the stone-faced actresses just staring at him! Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 37April 20, 2019 7:08 PM

R37 You are so right about those actresses. Raquel Welch looked like she was squirming in her seat until she knew the camera was on her. Patricia Neal needed an Anacin, Barbra was like "Cut the shit and get to the Best Actress category." Kim Hunter looked like she had such dined on a formaldehyde cocktail. Only Jane Wyman managed a carefully timed smile. And poor Frank was showing his age with probably one of the better of his many broadloom toupees. He was fighting vocally with a lousy song from one of the biggest budgeted box office bombs in movie musical history, and the notion of retirement was probably more than a suggestion for him and his bloated buddy Roz Russell. The best thing about the clip was Sidney Poitier who gave me a woody. Still hot by today's standards.

by Anonymousreply 38April 20, 2019 9:53 PM

r35 Still not right.

by Anonymousreply 39April 21, 2019 12:54 AM

The George Jacobs bio says that when the marriage to Mia was at its worst, Sinatra threw a firecracker at Mia's deaf white cat and scared the animal so badly that it took off into the woods surrounding the house and never came back. Probably got eaten by a coyote or run over.

Sinatra had his generous moments, but he could be a cruel bully when things weren't going his way, as the above attests. Also, Jacobs details Frank's pattern of cutting off people for little or no reason and never acknowledging them again. He doesn't sound bipolar to me: He sounds like a borderline.

by Anonymousreply 40April 21, 2019 2:34 AM

He sounds like a fucking asshole to me

by Anonymousreply 41April 21, 2019 2:36 AM

We still cannot believe how fantastic Loretta Young looked - at 56!

by Anonymousreply 42April 21, 2019 9:05 AM

in the sinatra 'star' clip

by Anonymousreply 43April 21, 2019 9:13 AM

Regardless of his own boorish behavior, I believe Sinatra would have PUBLICLY trashed pres Trump.

by Anonymousreply 44April 21, 2019 12:58 PM

Did Sinatra record many Sondheim songs? The only 3 I can think of are "Send in The Clowns," "All I Need is The Girl" from "Gypsy, and "Good Thing Going" from "Merrily We Roll Along."

by Anonymousreply 45April 26, 2019 2:53 AM

Frank really "got" Send in the Clowns...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 26, 2019 2:26 PM

Antiques Roadshow is asked to appraise a Frank Sinatra letter. I find it pretty amazing. He is answering a priest who has written him on behalf of the two men who kidnapped his son. Sinatra writes back a 6 page, very well written, letter. Where he tells the priest off, stands up for his son, but does it more delicately than I would have thought.

The link is too long for DL. It's posted on Facebook, Antiques Roadshow page. It's worth a read.

(They appraised the letter at $20,000.)

by Anonymousreply 47April 26, 2019 2:48 PM

R32, I agree with what you said, that Frank did not seem like a happy person in his real life.

It’s funny (and I know this allegedly happens all the time) that he got everything he could have ever dreamed out of life and was still unhappy as a human being...

I would say that someone like Dean Martin seemed more secure and overall like a happy person—until his son died of course (then he seemed sad, but he didn’t seem like that before or throughout his life like Sinatra did).

by Anonymousreply 48April 26, 2019 3:12 PM

I can't imagine Sinatra signing an autograph, let alone writing a six page letter. It was probably written by George Jacobs, his valet, who frankly, answered most of the fan mail and signed virtually all of the 8x10 glossies, imitating Sinatra's signature to perfection.

by Anonymousreply 49April 27, 2019 3:24 AM

R49 Somebody should let the appraisers in on the secret. Sounds like they're valuing the letter at $20K for what amounts to George Jacobs's writing.

by Anonymousreply 50April 27, 2019 3:56 AM

I agree, R49. In fact, the story is that Sinatra's entire 1960s Playboy interview was done by someone else, someone who could do faux Sinatra and phone it in - literally. Sinatra was a lazy son of a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 51April 27, 2019 3:11 PM

It's well known there are very few authentic Sinatra autographs out there. Few people ever got close enough to him.

by Anonymousreply 52April 27, 2019 6:49 PM

We are reading the book by the valet and on page 197 he reports that Sinatra fucked bareback only - he HATED rubbers and refused to use them!

by Anonymousreply 53April 28, 2019 4:13 PM

R53 Are we talking women or dudes??

by Anonymousreply 54April 28, 2019 5:41 PM

Frank's wife Barbara Marx got her revenge in later years when Frank was old and demented. She basically pulled an Annie Wilkes and kept him a virtual prisoner in their Palms Spring home, refusing even his children access to him. Just reward for being a prick, bully, and womanizer.

by Anonymousreply 55April 28, 2019 6:22 PM

r55=fish

by Anonymousreply 56April 28, 2019 6:23 PM

R56 = geezer who still idolized the monster FS

by Anonymousreply 57April 28, 2019 6:26 PM

R14, actually Sinatra was taking amphetamines pretty heavily in the early 50s when his career was on the skids. He was working an insane amount taking whatever singing jobs were offered.

by Anonymousreply 58May 10, 2019 6:51 PM

Wasn't it during the low points of the fifties that his vocal chords got so badly damaged that he unable to sing and was coughing up blood? That might have been during the Ava years, when his career was on the skids and he was going downhill fast. His voice was never as powerful or smooth after that, but what saved his career and ass was the role in "From Here to Eternity", which he knew would be a big hit. After that he had a career as an actor again and could let his singing voice recover.

Which really makes you wonder how much of that story from "The Godfather" is true. Did he use undue influence to save himself?

by Anonymousreply 59May 10, 2019 9:16 PM

[quote] vocal chords

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 60May 10, 2019 9:29 PM

R59 Ava saved his ass. She went to Harry Cohn, the head of Columbia and lobbied for him to get the role.

by Anonymousreply 61May 11, 2019 4:42 PM

Ava did as much as anyone to bring Sinatra back from the trenches in the early 1950s. It was she who was the major star at that time, not he. But his Vesuvial ego would never permit him to acknowledge her help or thank her in any way. He believed he got that role and the Oscar all because of his talent. Ava eventually saw through this scarred up bag of bones and bid him a fond farewell, ten inches notwithstanding. A woman like Ava could have landed the primest dick on the planet, and certainly did. She didn't need a skinny wop.

by Anonymousreply 62June 19, 2019 2:22 AM

I may have told this story. I didn't see it in the previous thread. It's probably apocryphal but who cares?

Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly were sitting on the set of "Mogambo" when a native extra dropped his pants near them and changed into his costume. Grace let out a gasp. Ava looked over and said, "Eh. Frank's is bigger."

The only other thing I've heard is that a lot of songwriters didn't like Sinatra because he would change the words to their songs. I seem to remember that Cole Porter was one of them.

by Anonymousreply 63June 19, 2019 4:10 AM

I wonder if Colie actually liked Nelson Riddle's take on "I've Got You Under My Skin." He probably loathed the uptempo swinging version of "Night and Day."

by Anonymousreply 64June 19, 2019 11:36 AM

Sinatra and the mob...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 19, 2019 12:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!