Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Dunning-Kruger Effect

[quote]"In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority comes from the inability of low-ability people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, low-ability people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.

[quote]As described by social psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger, the cognitive bias of illusory superiority results from an internal illusion in people of low ability and from an external misperception in people of high ability; that is, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."

I felt that DL should know of this immediately.

by Anonymousreply 5April 9, 2019 9:11 PM

Soon to be rebranded as the Jared Effect.

by Anonymousreply 1April 9, 2019 3:28 PM

I know someone who suffers terribly from this one. Glad to have a name for it.

by Anonymousreply 2April 9, 2019 3:34 PM

Is this what they mean when they tell me I’m not as hot as I think I am?

by Anonymousreply 3April 9, 2019 3:34 PM

Donald Trump is the poster child of Dunning-Kruger effect. He knows nothing and therefore finds that he's better at those things than anyone else. It should be called Donnie-Kruger.

by Anonymousreply 4April 9, 2019 9:08 PM

^ Absolutely.

It also amazes me how many morons with "opinions" in general fall victim to this. Is it SO hard to say "that's an area I don't know much about... let me listen to the opinions of actually informed people"

by Anonymousreply 5April 9, 2019 9:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!