Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THE UNFORGOTTEN on PBS tonight!

The Unforgotten starring brilliant Nicola Walker as a police detective investigating cold case crimes returns to PBS' Masterpiece Mystery tonight for its 3rd season! Check your local listings, in NYC it'll be on at 10 pm.

This is one of the best police procedurals to come out of the UK since Happy Valley. If you haven't watched the first 2 seasons, they can be accessed at PBS.org.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102March 14, 2021 8:25 PM

And the ubiquitous Keeley Hawes won't be in it!

by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2019 8:00 PM

I've perched for that for a couple of weeks now! It's arguably one of the best, if not THE best UK crime drama. Nicola Walker is a goddess!

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2019 8:03 PM

^^been perched

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2019 8:03 PM

Only just caught this series by accident at about 3am. Really loved what I saw and ended up making my insomnia even worse by catching the whole first season in almost one go! It was so well done, and I loved the appearance of Ruth Sheen who has always been a bit underrated.

It aired in a funny order here in Australia, I missed S2 so i'm hoping I can catch up with that afterward. But they're playing S3 now. I'm guessing since they start a new case every season it won't ruin anything?

I've only watched the first episode but so far I like what I see (even if the sister's *scene* on the boardwalk was a bit Bold and the Beautiful). Seems like her lack of sleep angle might lead to more personal drama for Walker's character, which is a good move for the show because in the first season she's more of a 'lens' for the audience than a fully formed complex character (not that it suffered because of that). The next two episodes are in my TV ready to go.

Nicola Walker is a great lead, she's very focused and workmanlike. I love the scenes where they interview people, you can instantly tell what she thinks of them.

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2019 8:33 PM

S2 is even better than S1 (in my opinion.)

by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2019 8:43 PM

I want to see an Unforgotten/Happy Valley crossover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2019 8:55 PM

Frances Tomelty (Sting's 1st wife!) was unforgettable in Season 2 as the victim's mother.

It's funny, the writing isn't necessarily that special, I don't think , but most of those British actors are just so brilliant at creating an entirely empathetic character history in just a few short scenes.

And Tom Courtenay, also that season! OMG.

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2019 8:56 PM

Great opening episode, as always! This show has such humanity.

by Anonymousreply 8April 8, 2019 3:14 AM

also on Amazon Prime

by Anonymousreply 9April 8, 2019 3:32 AM

how many threads do we need.

by Anonymousreply 10April 8, 2019 4:29 AM

If there's another thread, please link it.

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2019 12:43 PM

Bumping for Episode 2.

by Anonymousreply 12April 14, 2019 11:59 PM

You like that shit?

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2019 12:01 AM

Yes, but I don't like people with shitty tastes like you, R13.

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2019 12:02 AM

Oh my, r14! Pull that stick out of your ass!

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2019 12:03 AM

I'm up to episode 4 of the third season. Don't worry, I won't spoil anything. Just to say that i'm liking it so far even if it took me an episode to get into.

I still think the sister of the victim is over-acting her ass off. Yes i'm aware she's playing someone experiencing grief, but it's just those constantly tensed eyes and eyebrows, crying or whispering every word out, the intense way she looks at Nicola's character. Even the actress playing the hysterical mother is more subtle.

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2019 1:46 AM

I just love this series so much.

As formulaic as it's quickly become, the tension that's slowly and gradually created is amazing. Nicola Walker's performance is a master class in small screen acting. Her every blink and smirk is a joy to behold.

The twin sister looks like a real person, not an actress, so her over the top performance rings true for me. All of the casting is always so great....American TV would never cast all of these ordinary-looking actors to play ordinary people.

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2019 2:48 PM

Should I watch it?

by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2019 2:55 PM

R17 Eh, I think most of the actors on the show look like real people. From the two leads down to the minor players (I mean Ruth Sheen in season one couldn't look LESS like an 'actress'). It's more her overwrought, hammy, forced and self conscious performance.

But hopefully she will improve in the next few episodes for me.

by Anonymousreply 19April 15, 2019 3:01 PM

Lewis Reeves is cute. He has an unfortunate head shape but I found a picture where you don't see it as much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2019 7:31 PM

I mean, it’s not Bron/Broen but it’s an entertaining show.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2019 7:34 PM

Very little is Broen, to be honest, but Unforgotten has its own more subdued, less grisly charms.

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2019 8:30 PM

Lewis Reeves is VERY cute! I didn't know his real name so thanks for posting his photo, r20. I wish he had a little more screen time.

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2019 8:37 PM

Here you go, honey!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2019 8:40 PM

more

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2019 8:41 PM

Goodness!

Should we know Lewis from some of his other credits?

by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2019 8:44 PM

IMDB is your friend. He's playing the Prince of Wales in some B movie coming out this year.

by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2019 8:49 PM

Do they do oral & anal?

by Anonymousreply 28April 18, 2019 12:30 AM

Season 2 was intense. It’s always great to see Mark Bonnar.

by Anonymousreply 29April 18, 2019 6:00 PM

Well I finished S3. It's so middle-brow yet very watchable, as usual. I identified the main criminal early but hoped for an end of season surprise, futilely.

Everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end.

by Anonymousreply 30April 18, 2019 6:19 PM

Back off, r29 - he’s mine!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 18, 2019 7:42 PM

Ah, Mark Bonnar! He played the gay daddy in S2, correct?

Love him! What else has he been in that's worth a look? Is he gay in real life??

by Anonymousreply 32April 18, 2019 10:47 PM

Not gay.

He has supporting roles in “Shetland” and “Catastrophe” - both are well worth watching even though he’s not the lead. He was also hilarious in “Psychoville” - Season 2, I think.

by Anonymousreply 33April 19, 2019 12:56 AM

[quote] Well I finished S3. It's so middle-brow yet very watchable, as usual. I identified the main criminal early but hoped for an end of season surprise, futilely.

I don't think "Unforgotten" is meant to be your typical whodunnit. Yes, we know that all four men are somehow involved but the real story is about what drove them to it, how the murder affected their lives, as well as the life of the victim's family in the past 20 years, and how their lives are going to unravel after the investigation is reopened.

by Anonymousreply 34April 19, 2019 1:13 AM

R33 Ah, Catastrophe - Bonnar was great in that. I watched Shetland but don't remember him. It's been awhile since I've seen though. I love his voice and accent.

Just finished S2. Loved it. As someone said upthread, the show isn't sensationalistic or full of clever twists, but it has such humanity. It handles people who are damaged, suffering and flawed with such patience and compassion. Like Marion from s2- I went from being annoyed at her poor choices and constant anger to completely sympathizing with and understanding her; the actress was also fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 35May 2, 2019 11:26 PM

that actress is a scene stealer in Gentleman Jack

I agree about Bonnar. S2 was outstanding. The converstion between him and Nicola was gut wrenching. Understated and affecting.

by Anonymousreply 36May 2, 2019 11:56 PM

[quote]Understated and affecting.

Perfect way to describe that scene and s2. It's amazing that they managed to lay out a story with such sordid details in a way that didn't sensationalize or fetishize the subject matter, but instead slowly revealed the victims' torment and sublimated fury.

The other thing I like about Unforgotten is that in both s1 and s2, it gives very damaged people hope and a chance for rehabilitation. In both seasons, I thought certain characters would be killed off or punished and forgotten about (as they usually are in such shows) but there is always a little something for those people, even very minor characters.

by Anonymousreply 37May 3, 2019 12:20 AM

It’s ok. I don’t get the orgasmic gushing over it. It’s your basic Brit short detective series and Nicola Walker does her usual stuttering and silent gargling schtick.

by Anonymousreply 38May 3, 2019 1:27 AM

So who do we think the killer is?

by Anonymousreply 39May 3, 2019 4:26 AM

Just binged season 1-2, and starting 3. Love this series. It gets better each season.

by Anonymousreply 40May 5, 2019 5:59 PM

Just brilliant

by Anonymousreply 41May 5, 2019 6:04 PM

I would rank Season 2 as the best, followed by Season 3.

by Anonymousreply 42May 5, 2019 6:06 PM

I'm scared to read this thread too closely because I'm afraid someone will place a spoiler. But I love this show. Picked up the first series at the library. The Brits do television brilliantly. And the US gets stuck with Two Broke Girls. Also the opening song is starting to grow on me in S3.

by Anonymousreply 43May 5, 2019 6:40 PM

I can't say enough good things about this series. I even like how realistic Cass's home life is. Her relationship with her dad and sons feels authentic. I wish they'd write the same for Sunny. His home life seems more sitcom or soapy.

by Anonymousreply 44May 5, 2019 6:43 PM

Shit, I thought they were showing the season I'd already seen. Anybody know where you can get the 3rd season now?

by Anonymousreply 45May 5, 2019 9:02 PM

^^^ streaming or on PBS's webpage

by Anonymousreply 46May 6, 2019 12:58 AM

I thought this was the last episode, with the arrest of the last man after the other three had been eliminated but there' s more. I think I know who did it since it's not one of the en.

by Anonymousreply 47May 6, 2019 3:07 AM

R47, Do you think it's the cop who originally investigated the case? Or one of the wives?

by Anonymousreply 48May 7, 2019 3:25 AM

My guess: the crazy wife.

by Anonymousreply 49May 8, 2019 3:09 PM

Everybody hides away

by Anonymousreply 50May 8, 2019 4:09 PM

Not crazy about the opening song.

by Anonymousreply 51May 10, 2019 6:34 PM

I'm terrible at remembering character names. The scene was masterful where the man with the beard explains what happened in his life. Just wonderful acting.

by Anonymousreply 52May 11, 2019 12:06 AM

So do we think the doctor is the culprit or will we get a surprise?

by Anonymousreply 53May 11, 2019 10:52 PM

The finale blew me away. I did not see that coming at all.

I have 2 questions though-- whose funeral was everyone attending at the end and was this the series finale? It appears Cassie quit the police force.

by Anonymousreply 54May 13, 2019 11:35 AM

I'm pretty sure that the funeral was for Pete, the failing insurance (or whatever) salesman who was stabbed in a previous episode.

by Anonymousreply 55May 13, 2019 5:09 PM

[quote] The scene was masterful where the man with the beard explains what happened in his life. Just wonderful acting.

James Fleet.

He’s one of those actors who’s in everything, like Rupert Graves. And Keely Hawes, Nicola Walker, Phil Davies. They do everything.

by Anonymousreply 56May 13, 2019 5:19 PM

[quote] Not crazy about the opening song

Sorry, but all modern detective series must open with a woman singing in a waily voice nowadays. It’s a requirement. Even The Affair, season one, seemed to be a detective series at first and had a shitty lady song opening it up.

by Anonymousreply 57May 13, 2019 5:24 PM

The best crime drama out of the UK was without a doubt PRIME SUSPECT starring Helen Mirren.

by Anonymousreply 58May 13, 2019 5:25 PM

I keep confusing Unforgotten with the other one where the killer was the detective’s husband.

by Anonymousreply 59May 13, 2019 5:28 PM

R59

Broadchurch

by Anonymousreply 60May 13, 2019 5:43 PM

You know, with that actress who’s the Queen in those things and Dr. Who number whatever.

by Anonymousreply 61May 13, 2019 5:43 PM

Yes!

by Anonymousreply 62May 13, 2019 5:43 PM

I agree, R55, but it was confusing that it was supposed to be 3 months later.

by Anonymousreply 63May 13, 2019 7:30 PM

R55 and r63. The funeral for the dead girl. The gravestone said “Hayley Reid”

by Anonymousreply 64May 14, 2019 3:14 AM

R61 Olivia Colman

by Anonymousreply 65May 14, 2019 3:54 AM

R56 yes, James Fleet who was in Four Weddings and a Funeral and a regular in the Vicar of Dibley. His character marries the verger, portrayed by Emma Chambers.

by Anonymousreply 66May 14, 2019 3:59 AM

Sometimes I think I'm watching Tom Couttenay when watching James Fleet. There's something similar about their acting styles.

by Anonymousreply 67May 14, 2019 5:10 AM

There was a funeral and the gravesite visit.

by Anonymousreply 68May 14, 2019 5:17 AM

One of the many things that Unforgotten does beautifully: show you active listening, one character, often Cassie (Nicola Walker), listening to someone explain the terrible mess of evidence and life choices. It's as if the whole show is about how desperately we need someone to listen to our stories.

by Anonymousreply 69May 14, 2019 8:05 PM

Spot on, R69. The scene in the final episode where they are interrogating the serial rapist and killer was brilliant: you can see Cassie falling apart on the inside to the point where she just couldn't sit there and take it any longer, in spite of being a seasoned inspector who's seen those types of cases.

by Anonymousreply 70May 14, 2019 8:40 PM

A backhanded compliment: Nicola Walker is an argument in favor of no cosmetic surgery. Her performance is so internal, with a realization or devastation registering on her face with those sad sly eyes.

by Anonymousreply 71May 14, 2019 8:56 PM

R64, That would work if there is another time lapse between the funeral and the detectives meeting the mother and sister at the cemetery.

by Anonymousreply 72May 14, 2019 9:03 PM

The funeral at the end was for the original victim. Nicola Walker's character comes with yellow tulips to lay at the gravesite. The mother and sister were there. Pretty obvious.

by Anonymousreply 73May 14, 2019 9:18 PM

I did not see that confession coming - I kept thinking that somehow they were going to divulge that the doctor's ex-wife (who accused Tim of beating her) was the woman who murdered Hayley.

Will there be a season 4?

by Anonymousreply 74May 14, 2019 9:40 PM

Alex Jennings is such a great actor. I won't do a spoiler--if you don't know who I mean, look up the cast list. Anyway, he also plays Uncle Leopold (the King of Belgium), Victoria and Albert's uncle in Victoria. He's great in everything that he's in (and does a lot of audiobook narrations--I think he did the Patrick Melrose novels IIRC).

by Anonymousreply 75May 15, 2019 12:07 AM

I binged watched this recently and really loved it.

by Anonymousreply 76May 15, 2019 12:22 AM

R76

Binge watch last season's Unforgotten. It was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 77May 15, 2019 1:49 AM

Alex Jennings is also in "Victoria"? I hadn't made that connection R75, but now I can see Leopold in my head and am gobsmacked! Thanks for passing along.

by Anonymousreply 78May 15, 2019 9:11 AM

Alex Jennings was also in A Very English Scandal. His scenes with Ben are among the best in the show.

by Anonymousreply 79May 15, 2019 10:11 AM

Alex Jennings almost passes for straight on THE UNFORGOTTEN. In The Crown and especially VICTORIA he's such a QUEEN himself.

by Anonymousreply 80May 15, 2019 12:47 PM

They broke Nicola Walker! Still, there’s a season 4... so.

Is everybody watching season 5 of Line of Duty (guy that created The Bodyguard) on Acorn TV?

by Anonymousreply 81May 15, 2019 12:51 PM

I was surprised at how Cassie just lost it in the interrogation room when questioning the doctor---and then later fleeing a crime scene that she's in charge of. I mean wtf? As a detective, should she get so personally involved in these cases? It's one thing to have natural empathy for families of victims, but quite another to get all soppy with the victim's family, always on the verge of tears. I felt more sympathy for the doctor's wife and his daughters---how do they get through that? It seems that Cassie is always moaning, crying, stressed out.

The Helen Mirren character as a detective was more plausible---despite being a fucked up alcoholic, etc. she wouldn't have literally run away from a job assignment, blubbering away, where her team is finding new evidence/a new body. This running away shit also feeds into the stereotype that women get too emotional in jobs like that and are prone to nervous breakdowns.

by Anonymousreply 82May 15, 2019 1:17 PM

Holy shit, that was Alex Jennings in A Very English Scandal. Of course. He was fantastic and slimy with his tittering abetting of the affair.

by Anonymousreply 83May 15, 2019 4:53 PM

Well, I was surprised it was the doctor. Especially since they ended the previous episode with him getting arrested. I was waiting for a twist (his crazy ex wife) but the twist was there were more killings. He just switched though. They were interrogating him about the first two girls and he had an answer for everything--it still could have been the ex who put the "souvenirs" in the basement and who accompanied him to the conference . Then he just said, There are others.

I didn't want it to be him because he had bought his artist friend the van to live in when he was down and out which was a very decent thing to do. Is the tv guy's career ruined? I forget what scandal came out about him. I

I love Nicola Walker who is always Ruth to me. It's great how there are all these fantastic British actors who can do both film and tv because the tv seasons are quite short. And they don't look cookie-cutter.

by Anonymousreply 84May 15, 2019 5:17 PM

[quote]As a detective, should she get so personally involved in these cases? It's one thing to have natural empathy for families of victims, but quite another to get all soppy with the victim's family, always on the verge of tears

Her own life was falling apart. The crime scene and the psychopath were triggers, not causes.

by Anonymousreply 85May 15, 2019 5:23 PM

[quote]The funeral at the end was for the original victim. Nicola Walker's character comes with yellow tulips to lay at the gravesite. The mother and sister were there. Pretty obvious.

There were two events. Funeral for the falsely accused friend (attended by the surviving friends and their families) and some time later, the visit to the original victim’s grave—which was not freshly dug.

by Anonymousreply 86May 15, 2019 5:28 PM

R84

Who is Ruth?

by Anonymousreply 87May 15, 2019 5:36 PM

I like that the man who was decent to his bipolar friend turned out to be the killer. What I mean is, this is why people say, "He never murdered me" and unnuanced shit like that. The point is, even a murderer has a soft spot here and there, and this series tends to show the good side of a character we're meant to suspect and the bad side to a character who has his shit together. I love this show.

Echoing the earlier question: Who's Ruth?

by Anonymousreply 88May 15, 2019 6:03 PM

R87 and r88. Ruth is the character Nicola Walker played on “Spooks” (called “MI -5” in the US)

by Anonymousreply 89May 16, 2019 3:46 AM

Geez I figured it was the doctor early on when they showed in a few scenes what a evil fake, two-faced cunt he was.

by Anonymousreply 90May 16, 2019 4:13 AM

James Fleet played Huge on the Vicar of Dibley. Hilarious.

This is a beautiful show. Almost perfect in every way and not like Mary Poppins at all. Just down to earth real people facing horrible things.

Why are the British so much more capable of turning out brilliant show after brilliant show? I'll throw in the Australians and Canadians as well though maybe not as consistently. I really think it has something to so with the fact that our industry in the US is so overpaid and that attracts too many avaricious, untalented people who worm their way to the top based on everything BUT talent. They barely make anything in the UK and in the US they would be rich and set for life after just one popular TV series.

by Anonymousreply 91May 16, 2019 6:34 AM

James Fleet played HUGO not HUGE - LOL! ^^^ Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 92May 16, 2019 6:35 AM

"Why are the British so much more capable of turning out brilliant show after brilliant show?"

I agree and I'll venture a guess. It's about the authenticity and sincerity of the characters' dialogue. It has to do with the way conversations are handled. American shows often (not always) have characters talking about their feelings and Brit shows don't as much. For example, in a Brit show, someone says, "Me mum died" and the other character says, "Oh no. I'm sorry. Go, then." And that's it. And the way humor is treated is different. In American shows, they think they need to show another character reacting to the joke (I see you, Friends), even though that's my job as the audience.

by Anonymousreply 93May 16, 2019 2:08 PM

Um, we never see the stinkers.

by Anonymousreply 94May 16, 2019 3:17 PM

If you like Nicola Walker, River on Netflix is pretty good.

PS: I was sure the twin was going to be the bad guy.

by Anonymousreply 95May 27, 2019 11:31 PM

Is this the one where Keely Hawes gets her head blown off in the car by a gunman?

by Anonymousreply 96May 27, 2019 11:36 PM

River was pretty good because of the performances, especially Walker's. It had a loopy premise. I guess I am surprised it got made, but pleasantly surprised. A good one-off series, no need for season 2.

by Anonymousreply 97May 28, 2019 7:02 PM

Nicola is also in "Collateral" (also on Netflix)

by Anonymousreply 98May 28, 2019 7:06 PM

Oh yeah, she played a lesbian... priest or something like that?

by Anonymousreply 99May 28, 2019 7:08 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 100May 28, 2019 7:09 PM

More of that, please. She is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 101May 28, 2019 7:11 PM

Season 4 is running now. LOVE this show. The Brits really know how to do crime dramas.

by Anonymousreply 102March 14, 2021 8:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!