Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

If you’re thinking about joining Sinemia, DON’T!!! ✋🏻🚫

The movie subscription Sinemia is sinfully bad. They are worse than MoviePass. The app does not work and has not worked since the beginning of March when Captain Marvel opened so people can’t even buy any tickets for over a month. They don’t give refunds so your month is just wasted and you’ve paid for a service that was not rendered.

And people who are no longer profitable for the company are terminated as “fraud” with no refunds given. So if you’ve spent $120 for a year’s membership of 3 movies a month, once you’ve bought $120 worth of tickets, you’re labeled as “fraud” and your account is terminated, even if you’re only 3 months into your year subscription and no refunds are given for the other 9 months.

Stay away! Caveat emptor!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 31, 2019 11:47 PM

Both Sinemia and Movie Pass have business models that are unattainable as they are buying the tickets from the movie theater. AMC was going to start a subscription service. One tied to a movie chain would be my choice.

by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2019 12:22 AM

How do Sinimia and MoviePass make money?

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2019 12:31 AM

They don't R2. They're bleeding cash.

R1 I live near multiple AMCs and been loving AList.

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2019 1:01 AM

AMC has the $5 Tuesday deal, well at the least the one my mom goes to. No limit, every movie, any time, is $5 every Tuesday EXCEPT if it's a holiday.

I don't go to movies much anymore but that seems to be a pretty solid deal. Of course, my mom is retired so Tuesdays work for her.

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2019 1:08 AM

R2 Movie Pass is basically bankrupt and they bankrupted their parent company as well. They were trying to make money off credit card transaction fees. Sinemia is a European company. France has a subscription service that seems to work well but most of the cinema chains support it.

by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2019 4:37 AM

MoviePass was great before it collapsed but I knew it could never last.

by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2019 5:03 AM

[quote]They don't [R2]. They're bleeding cash.

I know they’re bleeding cash but how did they think they were going to make money. Offering unlimited movies a month for $7.99 a month does not make mathematical sense. How is that a business model? It’s unsustainable.

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2019 5:11 AM

The CEO of Sinemia gave a disastrous interview with Indiewire where he refutes many of the complaints and just dances around the problems customers are having.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2019 5:15 AM

Sinemia terminated people’s accounts when Caption Marvel came out because they did not want to pay for all those tickets. Then they disabled everyone’s app when Us came out since it was going to be a big movie that everyone wanted to see. The app is still disabled since Dumbo and Shazam came out and they don’t want to have to pay for people buying those tickets. And there’s no way they’re going to turn on their app when Avengers End Game comes out since paying for all those tickets would bankrupt them. So they probably won’t turn on the app until May, after the End Game hype dies down. But then it would be summer blockbuster time so most likely they won’t turn the app back on til September when no popular movies are out.

by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2019 5:18 AM

R7 Their business model was based on electronic transaction fees from credit cards.

by Anonymousreply 10April 7, 2019 5:35 AM

They recently reneged on their Premium Plan -- unlimited movies.

I PUNCHED AND DELETED.

MoviePass was good while it lasted. I guess it's back to paying full price and streaming bootlegs again.

by Anonymousreply 11April 7, 2019 6:18 AM

[quote][R7] Their business model was based on electronic transaction fees from credit cards.

What? That makes no sense. I only paid them once with my credit card for my membership. How are they making money off my credit card fee?

by Anonymousreply 12April 7, 2019 6:54 AM

No. Sinema is a bait & switch con and I want everyone to know it. I don't want special treatment or a free credit while this company continues to rip off hard working people who thought they were getting a deal. Most of them don't have a large platform to speak out, but I do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 7, 2019 1:36 PM

R12 Sorry. I should have said "transactions on debit card fees."

by Anonymousreply 14April 7, 2019 3:54 PM

R12 Also, they were planning on selling lots of movie goer's data to the studios.

by Anonymousreply 15April 7, 2019 3:58 PM

R14, debit card fees from whom? Most people bought their memberships with credit cards. And wouldn’t ANY business who takes credit cards and debit cards be making these fees too? So how is this a business model?

by Anonymousreply 16April 8, 2019 12:40 AM

Who the fuck knows, r16? We just work here.

by Anonymousreply 17April 8, 2019 12:51 AM

MoviePass was the Fyre Festival of the cinema.

The AMC program is the only one that makes sense. Everything else is just a scam.

by Anonymousreply 18April 8, 2019 12:55 AM

R13 who is Trevor Donovan and why isn't he inside of me right now?

by Anonymousreply 19April 8, 2019 12:57 AM

I’m still using Movie Pass. There was a rough period last year when I had trouble with the app plus when it did work often there were no available screenings. Of course, I’m disappointed that it’s no longer a movie a day every day, but it’s become pretty reliable lately and three movies a month for $9.95 is still a huge savings. For the last movie I saw, Gloria Bell, the actual ticket price at the theater was $17.50!

by Anonymousreply 20April 8, 2019 2:06 AM

Are we still pretending that there are 3 decent movies every month? Maybe if you like superheroes, otherwise what is the point? All quality entertainment is on tv these days.

by Anonymousreply 21April 8, 2019 2:09 AM

[quote]I’m still using Movie Pass. There was a rough period last year when I had trouble with the app plus when it did work often there were no available screenings. Of course, I’m disappointed that it’s no longer a movie a day every day, but it’s become pretty reliable lately and three movies a month for $9.95 is still a huge savings. For the last movie I saw, Gloria Bell, the actual ticket price at the theater was $17.50!

Same here. It's really a saver for indie films because the two big indie theaters nearest to me charge $18 and that doesn't include the service charge when I buy tickets online, so MoviePass is great in that regard. I just have to wait a bit later to see it versus opening weekend.

by Anonymousreply 22April 8, 2019 2:12 AM

R21, there are tons of great movies - not superhero movies - available through MoviePass... foreign, indie, documentary, classics and more. Here are just some of the movies you can see right now with MoviePass:

Us The Wind Babylon I Can’t Sleep Mirai White Material Peterloo Diane Transit and on and on

by Anonymousreply 23April 8, 2019 3:02 AM

I desperately wanted to go to the movies this past weekend (for the popcorn) and couldn't bear sitting anything that's in theaters now. Huge release, documentary, indie favorite...it's all just dreck that costs 30 bucks (ticket and my oily-ass popcorn). Why bother?

by Anonymousreply 24April 8, 2019 3:17 AM

R23, you can only see those movies and nothing else? No Shamwow or Caption Marvel or Pet Cementary? Is it a limited list?

by Anonymousreply 25April 8, 2019 3:44 AM

Hi, R23. Yes, you can also see blockbusters and action movies and kids’ flicks, absolutely. I was just trying to say for people looking for less mainstream fare, MoviePass is also good.

by Anonymousreply 26April 9, 2019 2:59 AM

[quote]But then it would be summer blockbuster time so most likely they won’t turn the app back on til September when no popular movies are out.

It: Part 2 comes out in September, they probably won't customers buying tickets for that one.

by Anonymousreply 27April 9, 2019 3:10 AM

So they’ll probably turn the app back on in December once It 2 and the Fall movies leave theaters. Sucks for annual pass holders who won’t be able to use the service until then.

by Anonymousreply 28April 9, 2019 4:12 AM

R4 as of this week/month, it's now $6 Tuesdays if you live in the state of CA, CT, DC, GA, IL, MA, MD, NJ, NY, VA

Everywhere else I believe it's still $5.

by Anonymousreply 29April 9, 2019 4:33 AM

I want Trevor Donovan to be my husband so badly.

by Anonymousreply 30April 9, 2019 4:46 AM

They actually shut the app off so you can't use it? How can they legally get away with that?

by Anonymousreply 31April 12, 2019 4:54 PM

Business models that are solely and wholly based on breakage are dubious.

In most cases, you can't depend on a business model where your customers will pay for more than they actually receive.

by Anonymousreply 32April 12, 2019 5:00 PM

MoviePass has added a new restriction on my account -- I cannot pickup tickets any sooner than three hours before showtime, which means I can't buy in the early afternoon for an evening show.

Of course, usually by evening "there are no more screenings at this theater."

Assholes. And I mean that in a negative way.

by Anonymousreply 33May 30, 2019 9:52 PM

After dealing with MoviePass and Sinemia and having major headaches, I found the best way to save money is just to buy matinee movie tickets at the box office. I wasn’t saving any money using those services and was actually losing money with Sinemia since they stole my money.

If you buy a matinee ticket for $9 or go to discount Tuesdays at night at AMC for $5, it’s cheaper than paying a monthly subscription. And if you go to two or three movies at once, you save even more money.

by Anonymousreply 34May 31, 2019 5:11 PM

OP is exactly right.

I cancelled my subscription in March when they reneged on their terms for a premium membership. I only switched to them after MoviePass reneged.

My guess is that Sinemia was never well-known enough to have the capital to honor its terms for all of MoviePass's customers. And I think thousands of us tried to migrate to Sinemia once MoviePass was a bust and it almost bankrupted Sinemia.

There's no legit subscription service now and I'm just afraid that all of the discount memberships offered by the theater chains will end because MoviePass isn't competing.

Remember that the AMC movie chain offers 3 movies per week through their program, which can save a frequent user lots of money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 31, 2019 6:42 PM

The problem with the AMC subscription is that I don’t watch $24 of movies a month. That’s $288 per year. $9.99 a month was reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 36May 31, 2019 7:02 PM

Anyone who still has MoviePass is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 37May 31, 2019 10:34 PM

The problem with the AMC program is that there are not 12 different movies a month that i m remotely interested in seeing.

But i guess if I see two or three full-priced releases I will come out ahead...

by Anonymousreply 38May 31, 2019 10:47 PM

AMC is great (I have 5 near me). Depending on the schedule, I see 2-3 to 8-9 a month. Either way, I come out ahead. And I'm willing to take more risks on stuff I might've waited for Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 39May 31, 2019 11:02 PM

Even though technically I’m saving money with MoviePass, it was for movies I never would have paid for in the first place. And I had to play games and jump through hoops to even see those movies I didn’t want to see. I’m much happier now just paying for the movies I want to see.

by Anonymousreply 40May 31, 2019 11:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!