Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Petty things that bug the hell out of you

It's stupid things like this that bother me, even though it shouldn't. This should say "from 4/7 10pm to 4/8 4am". Have we become so insular that we have to bow to the idiots that don't know 4am that follows 10pm isn't on the same day? Or people who don't understand that Noon isn't 12am (there are plenty out there). Or going to a local grocery/bodega and see "Apples 0.75¢". No, those apples are $0.75, because if you're selling them for 0.75¢ I'mma buy as much as I can carry.

Datalounge is full of pettiness, so I'm sure there's plenty out there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321June 5, 2019 8:47 PM

When someone who thinks 12AM is noon thinks he has the right to judge the stupidity of others.

by Anonymousreply 1April 6, 2019 3:25 PM

I agree, although putting an end date on the closure of the store you're referring to would sort of make sense if it's a limited time thing. But, maybe you mean that those are the daily hours. If so, then yes attaching a date is stupid.

My petty annoyance of today is people who do not answer the question being asked. "Hey, would you rather Italian or Mexican?" "Oh yeh, that's great." WHICH ONE, DUMBASS, I GAVE YOU TWO FUCKING OPTIONS? The moron assumes you would know they meant the latter? I hope you choke on whatever food we decide to get.

by Anonymousreply 2April 6, 2019 3:25 PM

When someone asks what you're doing that evening, and you tell them, at which point they say, "What time are you going and I'll meet you!" If I wanted you to go i would have INVITED YOU!

by Anonymousreply 3April 6, 2019 3:31 PM

Uber-petty thing that makes me go ballistic: cheap paper towels that never tear away cleanly; there's always a little corner that sticks on. (God I wish this was my biggest problem in life.....)

by Anonymousreply 4April 6, 2019 3:31 PM

> Or people who don't understand that Noon isn't 12am

> When someone who thinks 12AM is noon thinks he has the right to judge the stupidity of others.

I think we're talking the same thing, here.

by Anonymousreply 5April 6, 2019 3:31 PM

OP, I’m confused. You the pic you posted says:

[quote]...on 4/7 from 10pm to 4am.

You advocate

[quote]This should say "from 4/7 10pm to 4/8 4am".

Then say,

[quote]Have we become so insular that we have to bow to the idiots that don't know 4am that follows 10pm isn't on the same day?

How is saying, for example, we will be closed on Monday from 6pm until 6am bowing to the idiots that don’t know we mean Tuesday at 6am?

by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2019 3:49 PM

That the US is one of the last places on Earth that still uses Imperial measurement, and when I visit, I have to struggle to remember ounces, pounds and feet, inches and miles.

by Anonymousreply 7April 6, 2019 3:54 PM

That’s not petty, R7. It’s profound.

by Anonymousreply 8April 6, 2019 3:57 PM

Any and all basic grammar/spelling errors.

Call me a grammar nazi all you want, but any adult who has at least finished high school should know the difference between there/their/they're, your/you're, then/than, etc. They should also know that "would of/could of/should of" is wrong.

This also goes for over-corrections such as "I feel badly" or when people who don't understand phrasal verbs contort their sentences into pretentious messes to avoid ending a sentence with a preposition (which isn't always wrong).

I'll always think you're an idiot when you do any of those things, but will suffer in silence.

by Anonymousreply 9April 6, 2019 4:04 PM

Seeing tire shine on tires. Don't like the look of shiny rubber.

by Anonymousreply 10April 6, 2019 4:19 PM

Amen, sister r10

by Anonymousreply 11April 6, 2019 4:21 PM

People who don’t know that Puerto Rico is part of the US.

by Anonymousreply 12April 6, 2019 4:28 PM

R12 So like nearly all deplorables. Yeah, true.

by Anonymousreply 13April 6, 2019 4:31 PM

Murder. Yeah, I'll go with murder

by Anonymousreply 14April 6, 2019 4:32 PM

English teacher at r9: what is your opinion of "try and"? As in, "We should try and go to the moon." It stops me cold when I read it, whether in a book or an article, as I have to stop and rewrite it in my head as "try to"....

by Anonymousreply 15April 6, 2019 4:33 PM

"Try and" is grammatically incorrect. One tries TO do something.

by Anonymousreply 16April 6, 2019 4:39 PM

I have three:

Punctuation placement is one of my petty issues. Especially commas. For example ,it follow a word. Nor does it , for example , get put directly in the middle of two words with a space on either side. Perhaps I need correction sometime on when to use a comma, but at least I know where to place it when I'm keying it in. Also, the dollar sign $ goes before the amount, like this: $4 and not at the end: 4$,

Do people not know how to search for answers on the interwebthing? Yesterday, a Facebook friend asked his FB friends where to find the website for a very well-known person. Being a good friend I went to Google and typed in the person's name then posted the link on his page. How difficult can it be to look something up?

People who do not set their phone to silent when at a restaurant, on a bus or train, or other public event. Heaven help me if I hear someone's phone during a play. My phone is by default silent and I only turn it off when I'm expecting a call or a text.

by Anonymousreply 17April 6, 2019 4:40 PM

For me, it’s spaces before commas. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 18April 6, 2019 4:41 PM

This doesn't bug the hell out of me but I notice the misuse of "different than" instead of "different from." Different isn't comparative. "This pomelo is [more] different than the persimmon." No, the pomelo is different from the persimmon, and conversely the persimmon is different from the pomelo.

"Alot" bothers me. Try looking that four-letter string up as an entry in an online Merriam-Webster or Collins dictionary website, or look it up in a library copy of an Oxford dictionary.

by Anonymousreply 19April 6, 2019 4:44 PM

Apostrophe abuse. You don't use an apostrophe to pluralize a word, in fact, it takes less effort to leave it out!

by Anonymousreply 20April 6, 2019 4:45 PM

The mispronunciation of the word "warrior".

Hint: It does NOT rhyme with "lawyer".

WAR-EE-OR. Three syllables. Not two. It's not "Woy-yer".

This issue is enraging for no good reason. But I cringe every time someone who should know better says it wrong on TV or in commercials or in movies. It's like finger-nails on a chalk-board.

by Anonymousreply 21April 6, 2019 4:47 PM

Honey, you’re OCD.

by Anonymousreply 22April 6, 2019 4:47 PM

R6 I don't mean in regular "We're open 7 days 9am to 6pm" is confusing. In an isolated event, like a banking downtime or something, if you're going to put in the start date with the time, then put in the stop date if it's technically the next day.

by Anonymousreply 23April 6, 2019 4:50 PM

On the grammar side, the difference between its and it’s.

Simply put, “it’s” is only used when you intend to say it is. All other uses, including possessives, should be written as its. I have learned to give a little leeway with this due to autocorrect. Indeed, just typing this I had to force the phone to say its and not it’s.

by Anonymousreply 24April 6, 2019 4:53 PM

Pronouncing electoral as ee-leck-TORE-al instead of el-LECK-toral. It sounds so hillbilly and ignorant. Chuck Todd is one of the worst offenders.

by Anonymousreply 25April 6, 2019 4:53 PM

Oh, I got you now, OP/R23.

by Anonymousreply 26April 6, 2019 4:54 PM

Don’t get me started on mispronunciations, R25.

by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2019 4:56 PM

R17 You have a lot of incomplete sentences, however.

by Anonymousreply 28April 6, 2019 4:57 PM

Also EYE-ran and EYE-raq.

by Anonymousreply 29April 6, 2019 4:59 PM

r20 wins. Thread Closed.

by Anonymousreply 30April 6, 2019 5:11 PM

For me it’s seeing those little plastic flossing things laying on the ground/grass. I’ve never actually seen someone floss on the go, but those “portable flossers” seem to be everywhere. How busy are you that you can’t floss your fucking teeth before or after you brush? The inventor of that shit should be shot.

by Anonymousreply 31April 6, 2019 7:36 PM

When people order over-the-top coffees at various coffee places. Just order coffee, add some sugar, whatever. But nope, "I'd like a Triple, Venti, Half Sweet, Non-Fat, Almond Milk, Caramel Macchiato, but only heated to 120" - all while talking on their fucking cellphone. I hope they die.

by Anonymousreply 32April 6, 2019 8:26 PM

Fuck off R30 - who made you the fucking “wins” commentator. You lose, cornball.

by Anonymousreply 33April 7, 2019 5:00 AM

The sound of other people’s bass through walls and cars.

by Anonymousreply 34April 7, 2019 5:10 AM

I'm annoyed every time I go to the grocery store and see the "15 Items or Less" sign on the express checkout lane.

by Anonymousreply 35April 7, 2019 5:18 AM

“Between you and I...”.

It’s like nails on a chalkboard. For some reason soaps were very bad about this.

by Anonymousreply 36April 7, 2019 5:52 AM

Bass abuse is not at all petty, r34.

by Anonymousreply 37April 7, 2019 5:53 AM

R35, I love my grocery store chain, because it correctly says "15 items or fewer". Thank god.

Using "less" when they should use "fewer" is one of my biggest pet peeves.

by Anonymousreply 38April 7, 2019 6:15 AM

Things packaged in that damn stuff they call clamshell, making it impossible to get out.

by Anonymousreply 39April 7, 2019 10:41 AM

[quote]The mispronunciation of the word "warrior".

Admit it, how many of us after reading this said the word out loud to see how we pronounce it?

I know I did.

by Anonymousreply 40April 7, 2019 11:09 AM

Attractive arab and middle-eastern men who lie that their large dicks are "XXL". Southern Italians will do so as well.

by Anonymousreply 41April 7, 2019 11:29 AM

Trashy people who leave their grocery carts beside their parking space instead of walking a few feet to put them in a cart corral. Especially egregious on sunny days!

by Anonymousreply 42April 7, 2019 11:39 AM

[quote]Things packaged in that damn stuff they call clamshell, making it impossible to get out.

Oh yes, especially the crap at places like Home Depot where the packaging probably cost more than the item inside it.

by Anonymousreply 43April 7, 2019 11:52 AM

You all need to start meditating.

It’s amazing how meditation makes you stop worrying about petty things

by Anonymousreply 44April 7, 2019 12:19 PM

When I see someone wearing a baseball cap with the adjuster in the back sticking out too far, I want to take a scissors and chop it off.

by Anonymousreply 45April 7, 2019 12:23 PM

"tho" instead of "though": lazy or stupid?

by Anonymousreply 46April 7, 2019 12:25 PM

R25, what bugs me is mispronunciation of Scallops. It's SKAH-lops, not SKAL-ops.

by Anonymousreply 47April 7, 2019 12:27 PM

Callers who don't identify themselves before demanding to know who I am.

by Anonymousreply 48April 7, 2019 12:32 PM

[quote]Call me a grammar nazi all you want, but any adult who has at least finished high school should know the difference between there/their/they're, your/you're, then/than, etc. They should also know that "would of/could of/should of" is wrong.

I worked with a mid-level manager who didn't understand any of these, but took every opportunity to announce that he was "college-educated" and to stress the importance of a quality education.

by Anonymousreply 49April 7, 2019 12:41 PM

[quote]Honey, you’re OCD.

No, we are not OCD. We have OCD.

by Anonymousreply 50April 7, 2019 12:56 PM

^Armchair diagnoses of mental health conditions, which is common on DL and grates on my nerves.

In that same vein, the layperson use of "OCD" to mean someone who is fussy/anal retentive. People who proclaim "I am sooo OCD about that" or similar almost never have any grasp of what the actual illness is.

by Anonymousreply 51April 7, 2019 2:03 PM

Thank you, r50.

by Anonymousreply 52April 7, 2019 2:20 PM

[quote]For me it’s seeing those little plastic flossing things laying on the ground/grass.

Uh-oh.

by Anonymousreply 53April 7, 2019 2:24 PM

R21 Wohr-ree-ah

by Anonymousreply 54April 7, 2019 2:35 PM

When I see music incorrectly dated as being released a year later than it was on You Tube.

by Anonymousreply 55April 7, 2019 3:22 PM

People who say “me and him went to the store”—seems like so many Millenials talk like that

by Anonymousreply 56April 7, 2019 3:29 PM

Someone interjecting "like" at a rate of once every four or five words in her sentence:

"Like, I went to her, 'like, maybe you, like, shouldn't?" And she was like, 'I don't like it when you, like, talk like that?"

I can overlook it once, but if I'm stuck behind or in front of her in a line for a few minutes, and she's doing most of the talking and the sentences come out like that, it's abominable.

by Anonymousreply 57April 7, 2019 3:35 PM

People who say everything is awesome! OMG AWESOME. "You're off on Wednesday?" Awesome! OMG this weather is awesome. Does Friday work for dinner? Ok, awesome! How was your cab ride? It was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 58April 7, 2019 3:40 PM

[quote]I'll always think you're an idiot when you do any of those things, but will suffer in silence. —English Teacher

I thought you did not insert a comma unless you're connecting two related clauses in the same sentence, i.e., "I'll always think you're an idiot when you do any of those things, but [bold]I[/bold] will suffer in silence."

Without adding the subject word "I" to the sentence, isn't it then just a phrase, which doesn't require a comma?

by Anonymousreply 59April 7, 2019 4:06 PM

Rediculous!!!!

by Anonymousreply 60April 7, 2019 4:13 PM

Exactly!

by Anonymousreply 61April 7, 2019 4:14 PM

One thing you'll learn as you get older is that there's a lot of stupid out there. Some will try to cover their ignorance but most of the time they fail miserably.

Now let it be known I have a fairly high tolerance. There's only one person that can break it but in public it takes a hell of a lot for me to unload on you like a ton of bricks. But there have been times in my life - one is from when I was 14 years old - this girl in a gas station pissed me off an I let her have it. She told my dad about it and his statement was "You must have really pissed him off."

And another happened in my 40's, some Christian shit stain was trying to spread the message of Christ to me. I asked him if Christ existed why didn't the Romans record ANYTHING about Jesus. It's true the Greeks, Romans, Egyptians etc. kept all sorts of records. I also asked him to explain where the people in Nod came from in regard to Genesis 4:16-17. And then how the Triune god thing wasn't hashed out until some 300 years after the founding of Christianity. He backed the fuck off then.

by Anonymousreply 62April 7, 2019 4:21 PM

The assumption that if you care about language you're being petty troubles me. Nobody is surprised if they're corrected by a sports fan, or a car nut, or gun aficionado if they say something ignorant in those fields. The usual response is, "Huh, I didn't know that - thanks." And you learned something. But with grammar, people get offended or dismissive. Odd.

by Anonymousreply 63April 7, 2019 4:26 PM

I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce warrior the same way they would pronounce lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 64April 7, 2019 4:30 PM

The lazoids who insist on spelling with numbers. 4=for, str8=straight. If it wasn't too much to write the words when we used quill pens, it certainly wouldn't hurt you now. Lazy!

by Anonymousreply 65April 7, 2019 4:39 PM

Also, R56, people who say "her and I went." I’ve even heard people on CNN, MSNBC and NPR say this!

by Anonymousreply 66April 7, 2019 4:41 PM

When you’re entering the highway and the car in the right lane doesn’t have the courtesy to move over to the middle lane, in spite of the road being wide open!

by Anonymousreply 67April 7, 2019 5:08 PM

R63, as a grammar nazi myself, I’ve realized that’s one of the only times corrections are seen as pedantic. I think people who get annoyed see it as though you’re implying they’re unintelligent and that stings.

However, if you look at r59’s post, you’ll see why there are so many problems with correct usage of the English language. It can be very confusing.

Then you have the other subset who don’t realize you’re genuinely trying to help them not look like idiots in the business world, which is more important today than it ever has been with written communications being so prevalent.

by Anonymousreply 68April 7, 2019 5:16 PM

People who use "LOL."

by Anonymousreply 69April 7, 2019 5:21 PM

Right on R67; hugging the lane like a train car on rails.

by Anonymousreply 70April 7, 2019 5:33 PM

R69, in writing or speech?

by Anonymousreply 71April 7, 2019 5:38 PM

On my dog's metal ID tag (which was made by some teenage girl at a pet supplies store), my phone number is written as:

[quote](555)-555-555

with the unnecessary hyphen in front of the parenthesized area code, instead of just

[quote](555) 555-5555

which is how you see most phone numbers formatted.

By the time I got to see it, it had already been engraved and whatnot.

by Anonymousreply 72April 7, 2019 5:42 PM

Not only that, r72, she apparently got your telephone number wrong. I just tried to call you to say hello.

by Anonymousreply 73April 7, 2019 5:46 PM

Fine comment R73; very fine.

by Anonymousreply 74April 7, 2019 5:53 PM

People who start every sentence with "So". This seems especially prevalent with millennials.

by Anonymousreply 75April 7, 2019 5:58 PM

YouTube tutorial videos with:

- music; not necessary. I managed through K-12, and four years of university, to not have a soundtrack during my learning, I don't need it for 20-30 minutes of tutorial.

- uptalk? Hello? I'm a subject matter expert? I made this tutorial for you? Let's get started? This is how I sound like I know what I'm doing? But I'm sounding like I'm asking for your approval or buy-in? Because I don't want to sound authoritative by making declarations when I'm teaching?

- helloeveryonehowareyouetsgetstarted. Firsthingwedoisopenupaterminalsessionyoushouldhavethisthisandthisinstalledbeforebeginning.

by Anonymousreply 76April 7, 2019 5:59 PM

[quote]because if you're selling them for 0.75¢ I'mma buy as much as I can carry.

OP's petty gripes are canceled out by his idiotic use of "I'mma."

by Anonymousreply 77April 7, 2019 6:00 PM

[quote]what bugs me is mispronunciation of Scallops. It's SKAH-lops, not SKAL-ops.

This is a difference in regional dialects, not really a mispronunciation. New Englanders say "skawl-ups," while Midwesterners say "skal-ops."

by Anonymousreply 78April 7, 2019 6:05 PM

R60, that's like nails on a chalkboard for me. UGH!

by Anonymousreply 79April 7, 2019 6:13 PM

[quote]I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce warrior the same way they would pronounce lawyer.

Maybe you just haven't paid any attention. Because it's VERY common, especially among actors and news readers and other talking heads that should know better. I hear it ALL THE FUCKING TIME and it drives me nuts. And from national figures, so no, it's not "regional".

by Anonymousreply 80April 7, 2019 6:14 PM

R75, that's a habit I'm trying to break myself of... it's harder than you'd think. I do it mostly in writing, when replying to work emails. "So, that's not how that works". That kind of thing. It just feels so natural to me, but I've noticed I'm doing it so much it actually started to annoy ME. I'm trying to be better here.

A long time ago, I had to break myself of the bad habit of starting every sentence (or ending it) with "Basically, "

Verbal ticks can become ingrained.

One of my cousins had the whole "Awesome" problem for several years... every fucking thing was just awesome all the time. He grew out of it I guess.

by Anonymousreply 81April 7, 2019 6:19 PM

I'm seeing this more and more in publications that should know better: using a hyphen or dash in a numerical range preceded by [italic]from:[/italic] "Open from 8 a.m.-7 p.m." Either drop the [italic]from[/italic] or spell out [italic]to.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 82April 7, 2019 6:26 PM

I can't stand the use of "I'mma" for "I am going to..."

by Anonymousreply 83April 7, 2019 6:30 PM

R83 how about "finna"?

by Anonymousreply 84April 7, 2019 6:32 PM

Even WORSE! Auugghhh -

by Anonymousreply 85April 7, 2019 6:35 PM

[quote] R62, LuciferTheLightBringer: ...some Christian shit stain was trying to spread the message of Christ to me. I asked him if Christ existed why didn't the Romans record ANYTHING about Jesus. It's true the Greeks, Romans, Egyptians etc. kept all sorts of records...

I can answer this, Lucifer. In his lifetime, Jesus wasn’t too much different from any of the many other “holy men” wandering Judea. He was crucified, which is how the lowest criminals were executed. The people who knew how to write weren’t writing about him.

In comparison: we know the Romans crucified many, many thousands, but there is physical evidence of only one crucifixion, discovered only within the last couple decades. A nail through an ankle into a piece of fossilized wood. The nail bent on a knot, and couldn’t easily be pulled back out, so it was left. We don’t assume that the lack of evidence of crucifixion using nails to mean that the Roman’s didn’t crucify anyone in that manner.

Likewise, Jesus was judged by Pontious Pilot, the Roman Procurator of Judea. IIRC, he served over 20 years in that capacity and was a very important man. There should be a lot of records about him; however, outside of the Bible, there is little in the historical record. IIRC, there were no contemporaneous records about him at all, except for a column with an inscription that was discovered in the last 50 years or so. He gets one or two mentions by Roman historians, who wrote long after his death. He did exist, but where are all the records?

Lastly, the Bible was oral history that was written down decades after Jesus died by people who never met him. It’s a jumble, but it is a history, of a kind. We do have letters from Paul, and other books in addition to the four gospels. We tend to discount these when we really shouldn’t, as long as we consider the source, and motive of the authors - as we should with all histories!

(I once heard a Priest say that Christianity could have existed without Christ, but not without St. Paul, since he was so instrumental in spreading the religion to non-Jews. I think the Priest was trying to be cute.)

So, it should be no surprise that there are no contemporaneous records of Jesus, aside from the Bible. The real mystery is why we know of him at all.

by Anonymousreply 86April 7, 2019 6:39 PM

Being in my 50's and being invisible to other gay men in their 50's. And 1/2 are making an effort to ignore and look through each other.

by Anonymousreply 87April 7, 2019 6:43 PM

I think of starting a sentence with "So..." as a New York thing, definitely not millennial. Possibly from the Yiddish term "Nu"?

I though I was the only OCD guy driven crazy by the paper towel pieces! I have run across books with "I called my lawyer and got an appointment for 3PM the next day."

One not mentioned: airlines call boarding for first class and top-tier elites initially, who have to wade through a mass of lower-tier elites who know this is the case but insist on mobbing the non-coach lane access anyway. The term for the phenomenon I understand to be "gate lice".

by Anonymousreply 88April 7, 2019 6:53 PM

A trend I hear a lot now is people starting replies with 'I mean'. Ask them a simple question- "Are you going to the store?" And they'll answer "I mean, yeah..." or whatever they say. I hear it in many interviews as well.

I can't stand that.

by Anonymousreply 89April 7, 2019 6:59 PM

White people talking like black people.

by Anonymousreply 90April 7, 2019 6:59 PM

[quote]I think of starting a sentence with "So..." as a New York thing, definitely not millennial. Possibly from the Yiddish term "Nu"?

Definitely not a New York thing. Born and raised New Yorker here and only heard this relatively recently. It’s horrible when you watch Shark Tank:

How long have you been in business?

So we’re going on three years now.

What’s your annual sales?

So, this year we’ll do....

It’s grating on the ears.

by Anonymousreply 91April 7, 2019 7:00 PM

Awwww I like the shiny tire look R10. Without tire shine the tires look dull and yucky.

by Anonymousreply 92April 7, 2019 7:01 PM

Werd, r90. I feel you, bro!

by Anonymousreply 93April 7, 2019 7:01 PM

[quote] R62, LuciferTheLightBringer: I also asked him to explain where the people in Nod came from in regard to Genesis 4:16-17. And then how the Triune god thing wasn't hashed out until some 300 years after the founding of Christianity. He backed the fuck off then.

I don’t know about the Nod, but the Apostles were very human men. When Jesus was arrested by the Romans, they fled. Peter denied Christ three times, because he was afraid. Thomas didn’t believe Jesus had risen from the dead when he was standing right in front of him. He had to put his fingers through the holes in Jesus’ hands to be convinced.

So, these numskulls were tasked to spreading the word based on what they’d been told and seen, but they didn’t know everything. When it came to the Trinity, they, and their followers thereafter, tried to understand it as best they could, and being human, there were a lot of well-intentioned but varied understandings. None of them could text God and ask for clarification or re-writes. They prayed for guidance and did the best they could. Then they had councils of the best minds, to debate it, try to make sense of it, and vote on what the consensus understanding was to be.

Bear in mind that a lot of people, priests and laymen alike, really aren’t interested in the details or can’t comprehend the complexity. Sometimes, over-explaining something just leads to more misunderstanding, not less.

I think we error when we expect our religious leaders to have some kind of dedicated line to God. They’re just people. Hopefully well intentioned, intelligent, educated, and experienced, but still just people.

by Anonymousreply 94April 7, 2019 7:03 PM

"Nome sayin?" every 5 words.

by Anonymousreply 95April 7, 2019 7:03 PM

When people mix up lose/loose. I hate the your/you're, its/it's, they're/there/their mistakes as well, but for some reason loose/lose drives me nuts.

by Anonymousreply 96April 7, 2019 7:03 PM

A nice clean car with fingerprints all over the doors.

by Anonymousreply 97April 7, 2019 7:05 PM

Recently I've seen "Opening Hours" signs on doors. "Open" will suffice. Where did this affectation begin?

by Anonymousreply 98April 7, 2019 7:05 PM

Water around kitchen or bathroom sinks. Or when people wipe down their kitchen counters and don’t dry them. Drives me nuts! I like to have a dry counter.

by Anonymousreply 99April 7, 2019 7:06 PM

I hate when on the highway, and I use my turn signal to indicate a lane change, and the guy behind takes that as a signal that they should speed-up and into the spot that I had just signaled that I was moving into. Sometimes, if I see this happening in my rear view mirror, I just pull over anyway. This typically infuriates the guy behind, which is exactly what he or she deserves. I have to wonder, “what on Earth did he expect?”

Similarly, when I leave a save distance between me and the car ahead, and other cars take that as an invitation to squeeze in, leaving all three cars vulnerable if a quick break is needed for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 100April 7, 2019 7:10 PM

No, r59. Having "will suffer" in the second clause makes it the second clause, not just a phrase. The subject, "I," is understood.

by Anonymousreply 101April 7, 2019 7:12 PM

[quote] OP: Or people who don't understand that Noon isn't 12am (there are plenty out there).

[quote] Definition of ante meridiem: being before noon. Definition of post meridiem: being after noon

Before the computer age, neither am nor pm meant noon or midnight. If you meant noon or midnight, you said so. This is why trains and planes are usually scheduled for 11:59 am or 12:01 pm, to avoid confusion. I would expect that some well-respected computer-standards organization long ago decided that 12:00 am and 12:00 pm are to be defined as one thing or another. I always have to look it up, because I never remember and don’t trust that the source is using whatever standard I know.

Traditionally, there’s no such thing as 12 am or 12 pm.

by Anonymousreply 102April 7, 2019 7:19 PM

What are you talking about r102? You are completely wrong. I grew up long before the computer age and midnight and noon have always been the same in writing.

People may [italic]say[/italic] 12 midnight or 12 noon, but it was always 12am and 12pm. I learned that in kindergarten.

by Anonymousreply 103April 7, 2019 7:25 PM

I cannot say if R102 is wrong, but I have always understood 12am to mean midnight and 12pm to mean noon; just as R103.

by Anonymousreply 104April 7, 2019 7:38 PM

[quote] Webster Definition of ante meridiem (AM): being before noon. Definition of post meridiem (PM]: being after noon

R103, well, take your argument to Webster’s and the Poor Clair Sisters of Obedience. Saying something is 12 am is saying “12 before noon”. 12 pm is “12 after noon”. It’s nonsensical with a circular numbering system.

by Anonymousreply 105April 7, 2019 7:44 PM

R105, now you're just being pedantic.

am is 'the morning' and pm is 'the night' so it's kind of obvious what is what here.

It's like you're deliberately trying to be obtuse or make it more difficult than it is .

by Anonymousreply 106April 7, 2019 7:48 PM

Oh I also hate driving. The reason has been told already. But I usually get over in the left lane and drop the hammer. Why make cars that can do 100MPH plus and then set the speed limits to 55,65, 70?

One of the fears I do have about autonomous vehicles - they'll obey the speed limits. Well mine might not as I know how to code and I'll modify the code to speed like a demon.

by Anonymousreply 107April 7, 2019 7:58 PM

R107, you're the living breathing embodiment of one of my pet peeves.... selfish, stupid idiots who think rules don't apply to them, or aren't there for very good reasons, so you endanger everyone else with your arrogant egotistical self-involved stupidity.

Stay out of cars. You're not worthy.

by Anonymousreply 108April 7, 2019 8:05 PM

R106, no, I’m not being pedantic. When you have an argument with someone, the first thing is to make sure you’re using the same definition for your terms, and Webster’s is a good place to start.

Now, am and pm do not mean “the morning” or “the night”. While 11 am is indeed morning, when is 1 am? It’s nighttime at 1 am where I live. Likewise, 1 pm isn’t nighttime, it’s daytime. It is simply incorrect to use “the morning” or “the night” to explain this. And it’s only “obvious” to you because it’s what you’re used to.

Take a look at the attached. Apparently the US Government Printing Office swapped their usage. From 2000 to 2008, “12 am” meant noon. After 2008, “12 pm” thereafter meant noon. If you travel, you shouldn’t expect foreign countries to use the same definition as you use.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109April 7, 2019 8:09 PM

Okay, bitches. ENOUGH with the 12 am/pm chazerai.

by Anonymousreply 110April 7, 2019 8:11 PM

[quote]I think we error when we expect our religious leaders to have some kind of dedicated line to God. They’re just people.

And God is just a myth.

by Anonymousreply 111April 7, 2019 8:21 PM

[quote]No, R59. Having "will suffer" in the second clause makes it the second clause, not just a phrase. The subject, "I," is understood.

That is completely and totally incorrect.

by Anonymousreply 112April 7, 2019 8:22 PM

R86 and R94 - "Xavier" - You ought to get acquainted with some actual critical scholarship instead of repeating apologetical tropes.

Jesus didn't exist. See Richard Carrier, [bold]On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt[/bold] (Sheffield Phoenix Press Ltd. 2014).

The earliest canonical gospel, Mark, was not written as history. See Dennis R. Mac Donald, [bold]The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark[/bold] (Yale University Press, 2000).

The Apostle Paul did not exist. See Robert M. Price, [bold]The Amazing Colossal Apostle: The Search for the Historical Paul[/bold] (Signature Books, 2012).

The latter three canonical gospels were composed as polemical theological responses to the Gospel of Mark, not as eyewitness historical accounts in their own right. See Randel Helms, [bold]Gospel Fictions[/bold] (Prometheus Books, 1988).

by Anonymousreply 113April 7, 2019 8:25 PM

Waxed wood floors that make barefeet or shoes squeak incessantly! Also slippery floors!

by Anonymousreply 114April 7, 2019 8:30 PM

[quote] People who say everything is awesome! OMG AWESOME. "You're off on Wednesday?" Awesome! OMG this weather is awesome. Does Friday work for dinner? Ok, awesome! How was your cab ride? It was awesome.

They just need to spend more time with a thesaurus. They sound like they think "good" + enthusiasm = "Awesome." You and I may have a literal interpretation of "awesome" like the Rocky Mountains, the Grand Canyon, or a tropical sunset; they have a looser interpretation.

More people who need to spend more time with a thesaurus are those who caption or characterize a debater's argument as "EPIC" or "DESTROYING." The other debater is still there, s/he isn't beamed up by space aliens which would be in my mind "EPIC", or annihilated into a mound of dust which would be "DESTROYING." Even a "You're right; I'd never thought of that before and now I see I'm wretchedly defending an indefensible issue. On national TV I am willing to be humble and submit to your superior argument" would be epic, but that's not likely to happen, is it?

by Anonymousreply 115April 7, 2019 8:38 PM

r114 reminds me of how much I hate shoes you can hear.

by Anonymousreply 116April 7, 2019 8:40 PM

What strikes me as most notable, R113, is your firm assertion that Jesus and St. Paul did not exist, when absolutely no one can make those assertions with the certainty you do. Did my argument about crucifixion and Pilot not sway you?

[Italic] Lastly, the Bible was oral history that was written down decades after Jesus died by people who never met him. It’s a jumble, but it is a history, of a kind. We do have letters from Paul, and other books in addition to the four gospels. We tend to discount these when we really shouldn’t, as long as we consider the source, and motive of the authors - as we should with all histories! [/Italic]

As for the Books in the Bible, I don’t know how I could have qualified their value as a historical record any more than I already did.

by Anonymousreply 117April 7, 2019 8:56 PM

For the posters whose gripes have to do with language, grammar, punctuation, etc, check out Benjamin Dreyer’s excellent book, “Dreyer’s English”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118April 7, 2019 9:01 PM

R109, you are the very DEFINITION of the word 'pedantic'. Your picture is in the dictionary right next to the word. Seriously, let it go. NOBODY is on the same page as you. NOBODY.

by Anonymousreply 119April 7, 2019 9:06 PM

It's a delight, r118. I'm parceling it out, reading just a page or two at a time.

by Anonymousreply 120April 7, 2019 9:07 PM

[quote]they have a looser interpretation.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 121April 7, 2019 9:09 PM

R115’s head explodes if he hears hyperbole.

by Anonymousreply 122April 7, 2019 9:10 PM

LA-LA-LA I can’t hear you, R109, LA-LA-LA

by Anonymousreply 123April 7, 2019 9:11 PM

R109 sounds exhausting

by Anonymousreply 124April 7, 2019 9:15 PM

^Oops, I mean R119.

by Anonymousreply 125April 7, 2019 9:16 PM

People that start responses with "OK, so..." or "So...", or conclude statements with "so...yeah!". The former is condescending imo - as if you (the person asking a question) are of a lower intelligence scale, and the later proves you are of a lower intelligence scale, as though you've run out ideas or thoughts, and your mind just suddenly went blank.

by Anonymousreply 126April 7, 2019 9:22 PM

“No, I mean yeah...”

Doesn’t really bother me, but yeah, it does. Haha, no, but yeah.

The talking heads on MSNBC often start their comments with “no, but yeah...”, especially Steve Kornacki. I get it, it’s a way of softening an upcoming opinion, I guess. It doesn’t really bother me, it’s just an observation that I think is interesting. I’m sure it’s harder than it looks, being a talking head on TV.

by Anonymousreply 127April 7, 2019 9:26 PM

R117, my assertion is no firmer than yours that they [italic]did[/italic] exist. I simply offer some critical takes on those issues which espouse a different point of view. There's simply no evidence for Jesus or for Paul that hasn't been debunked.

[quote] Did my argument about crucifixion and Pilot not sway you?

No, it did not. I'm aware that you're offering what to you seems like the right amount of skepticism; I'm merely offering you more.

There's not any evidence of oral history, much less that biblical stories spent any time as oral traditions. 'Oral history' is an apologists' trope, proposed as a way of bridging the gap (of decades or as much as centuries) between the earliest manuscript evidence and the ostensible period being depicted in the narrative. The purpose is to perpetuate the claim that the narrative reflects some sort of eyewitness testimony of an actual historical event. It ignores the findings of critical scholarship that biblical texts show evidence of literary development, of a history of having been a written text, changing over time.

[quote][italic]We tend to discount these when we really shouldn’t, as long as we consider the source, and motive of the authors - as we should with all histories!

Considering the 'source' and the 'motive' are something you [italic]assume[/italic], i.e. the idea that "Pauline letters" were written by Paul, or that gospels were written by the apostles whose names are attached (actually, the gospels are anonymous works).

The first canonical gospel, the Gospel of Mark, wasn't written as a history but as an allegory, based upon material from the Septuagint, from Philo and Josephus (the latter from whence comes the mention of Pontius Pilate). But in the main, Mark is transvaluated from the Homeric Epics.

Later gospel authors, dissatisfied with some aspect or other of Mark, sought to rewrite or correct it. The gospels of Matthew, Luke, and John were each composed to supplant previous gospels, not supplement them. Matthew and Luke copied some 98% of Mark into their texts, altering and embellishing as they saw fit. John, although quite different from the Synoptics, nevertheless follows Mark's narrative structure.

Let me give you an example of something believers regard as a historical account, but which is instead the product of literary borrowing - the story of Paul's conversion on the road to Damascus:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128April 7, 2019 9:39 PM

Oops! I failed to close the italic from the quote. Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 129April 7, 2019 9:40 PM

[quote] I want to take a scissors and chop it off.

No, [italic]no,[/italic] [bold]NO![/bold]

You do not use "a scissors," you use a PAIR of scissors!

by Anonymousreply 130April 7, 2019 9:50 PM

R107 - Who the fuck made you the queen of rolling roadblocks? The left lane is for passing. If you're in the left lane and someone wants to pass you, move the fuck over! You must be from NY or PA.

by Anonymousreply 131April 7, 2019 10:25 PM

Give it up Xavier. You are accepting myths as actual historical events. Now you have become a petty thing that is bugging the hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 132April 7, 2019 10:26 PM

No pettiness happening in THIS thread.

by Anonymousreply 133April 7, 2019 10:52 PM

You were right the first time, R125.

by Anonymousreply 134April 7, 2019 10:52 PM

Go lay a egg R53

by Anonymousreply 135April 7, 2019 10:53 PM

Go lay an* egg

by Anonymousreply 136April 7, 2019 10:55 PM

[quote]Give it up Xavier. You are accepting myths as actual historical events. Now you have become a petty thing that is bugging the hell out of me.

Girls! Girls! You're BOTH petty and insufferable!

by Anonymousreply 137April 7, 2019 11:01 PM

Petty things that bug me on DL threads:

When someone starts off their post with "Wait", then proceeds to ask a question by restating something already said. Even worse, "Wait, what?" Makes me CRINGE! I can't put my finger on why.

When someone starts off their post with "You do realize..." and proceeds to condescend to whoever they're addressing, usually with some beyond-obvious observation or unwittingly demonstrating that a subtle joke flew right over their head.

by Anonymousreply 138April 7, 2019 11:02 PM

Wait, what? It makes you CRINGE?

Do you realize how stupid that is?

by Anonymousreply 139April 7, 2019 11:09 PM

R9 add to the list "my husband and myself."

by Anonymousreply 140April 7, 2019 11:12 PM

People who do not wash their hands after going to the bathroom!

by Anonymousreply 141April 7, 2019 11:14 PM

A man on radio this morning referred to ASRM as an acronym which is a word created from the first letter of other words, think of SAG, Screen Actors Guild. ASRM is an initialism, like ABC, CBS, and NBC.

by Anonymousreply 142April 7, 2019 11:17 PM

[quote] R128, my assertion is no firmer than yours that they did exist... There's simply no evidence for Jesus or for Paul that hasn't been debunked.

Our assertions are independent things. You need not match mine for “firmness”, lol. In any event, its not a logical argument to make. If you said that you have seen no evidence of Jesus or Paul that you believe, I’d accept that. But that’s not what you said. You said that they did not exist, with a religious certainty that would make a Pope blush.

And I’ll acknowledge that there is no evidence for the existence of Jesus and Paul, after discounting all the evidence that there is. Certainly there is more evidence for them than there is for the existence of Pilot, or for most men of that era.

[quote] R128: It ignores the findings of critical scholarship that biblical texts show evidence of literary development, of a history of having been a written text, changing over time.

As for the rest, I won’t argue with much of what you wrote. It’s well established that the gospels were written down by men who lived long after Jesus and never met him. I think I even wrote this initially, you don’t have to convince me.

by Anonymousreply 143April 8, 2019 12:10 AM

Sign your name, R132, and I will have my responses scrubbed from your viewer.

by Anonymousreply 144April 8, 2019 12:13 AM

Why is um spelled “erm” in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 145April 8, 2019 12:18 AM

The Irish say “em” when we say “um”. The French say something that sounds like a barnyard sound.

German cows go Muh or Muhen

French cows go Meuh

by Anonymousreply 146April 8, 2019 12:29 AM

(146) Your remark was very funny!

by Anonymousreply 147April 8, 2019 12:33 AM

My petty thing that bugs the HELL out of me is when people can't seem to follow simple examples and patterns right in front of their face... like R147 here who can't seem to figure out how to refer to previous replies correctly, in spite of literally hundreds of examples.

by Anonymousreply 148April 8, 2019 12:37 AM

This... Sicilian THING that's been going on for TWO THOUSAND YEARS!

by Anonymousreply 149April 8, 2019 12:56 AM

[quote]Apostrophe abuse. You don't use an apostrophe to pluralize a word

I second this one. I see it all the time, even on signs. "Banana's 69¢/pound" and so forth. It's everywhere...

by Anonymousreply 150April 8, 2019 1:08 AM

Faulty zip lock closures for food packages. Either it takes too long to zip up or one of the zip seams rips away from the bag.

by Anonymousreply 151April 8, 2019 1:33 AM

People who wear too much cologne/perfume.

by Anonymousreply 152April 8, 2019 1:33 AM

LOUD talkers!

by Anonymousreply 153April 8, 2019 1:34 AM

LOUD chewers. Makes me want to murder the noisy eater. I get irrationally angry about this.

by Anonymousreply 154April 8, 2019 1:41 AM

People who wear PF Flyers to aerobics class.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155April 8, 2019 1:43 AM

When you're driving at night on a 2-lane highway, and a car coming the other direction won't turn down their bright headlights (high beams), even after you've signaled to them asking them to. Such arrogant assholes, creating a dangerous situation, since for a short time you can't see anything.

by Anonymousreply 156April 8, 2019 1:48 AM

"4/7 from 10pm to 4am PST"

What irks me most about this is that on 4/7 (April 7) it is daylight saving time in most of the U.S. thus it is PDT not PST. You see this error constantly. At the office, our style guide omits the daylight/standard designator and we use ET, CT, MT, PT. They also would discourage the use of 4/7 which is July 4th to many of our overseas personnel, but that's beside the point.

by Anonymousreply 157April 8, 2019 1:54 AM

[quote]Pontious Pilot

Double "oh, dear!"

by Anonymousreply 158April 8, 2019 2:19 AM

For you, R21.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159April 8, 2019 2:48 AM

Yes, yes, yes r156!

by Anonymousreply 160April 8, 2019 9:07 AM

I grew up in Massachusetts, and I had to mindfully train myself to stop saying "retarded" and "wicked." Hearing others say it is like nails on a chalkboard.

by Anonymousreply 161April 8, 2019 9:22 AM

People who say "myself" when they should be saying "me" or "I."

"It was used by my husband and myself."

by Anonymousreply 162April 8, 2019 10:01 AM

WAR-EEEE-YOOOORS...COME OUT AND....

PLAY-EEEEE-AYYYYYYYY!

by Anonymousreply 163April 8, 2019 11:01 AM

[quote]and a car coming the other direction won't turn down their bright headlights (high beams), even

Not "turn down". DIM. Like you, R156.

by Anonymousreply 164April 8, 2019 11:11 AM

[quote]You said that they did not exist, with a religious certainty that would make a Pope blush.

And you, R143, asserted that they [italic]did[/italic] exist; it was your religious certainty to which I was responding. However, you really ought to make your case with evidence, rather than insinuations about my supposed certainty, which is neither more nor less than yours.

[quote]Certainly there is more evidence for them than there is for the existence of Pilot, or for most men of that era.

Untrue. Pontius Pilate is attested in Josephus (and not in a manner like that of the so-called 'Testimonium Flavianum', a fourth-century Christian interpolation), as well as by the 'Pilate Stone,' which exhibits an inscription attesting the name. That's considerably more than for Jesus or Paul (or any of the other apostles, for that matter).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165April 8, 2019 11:20 AM

People who frequently end thoughts or sentences with "right?" Some people even confirm what you've just said by replying, "Right!?"

"Oh wow this weather is beautiful." RIGHT!?

by Anonymousreply 166April 8, 2019 11:22 AM

Riiiiggght?

by Anonymousreply 167April 8, 2019 1:47 PM

People who say "casted" instead of "cast"; as in: "Jake Gyllenhaal was casted in Brokeback Mountain" or "Luke Evans has been casted in the new Marvel movie," when it should be "Jake Gyllenhaal was cast in Brokeback Mountain" and "Luke Evans has been cast in the new Marvel movie."

by Anonymousreply 168April 8, 2019 1:55 PM

1,000 WWs for r168, were they mine to give.

by Anonymousreply 169April 8, 2019 2:03 PM

Same when TV weather reporters say "forecasted" instead of "forecast."

by Anonymousreply 170April 8, 2019 5:05 PM

Posts that begin with "Umm ..." IMO, that's passive-aggressive. You should just state your opinion without that stupid lead-up. IMO.

by Anonymousreply 171April 8, 2019 5:15 PM

Women who come to work wearing flip-flops. Who wants to see their ugly feet, and listen to that fucking sound every time they walk by? Unprofessional and GROSS.

by Anonymousreply 172April 8, 2019 5:17 PM

R165, truce!

I am trying to honor the requests from a few others to drop the topic, but that’s hard to do unless you STFU, too, so how about that?

by Anonymousreply 173April 8, 2019 5:25 PM

[quote][R165], truce! I am trying to honor the requests from a few others to drop the topic, but that’s hard to do unless you STFU, too, so how about that?

It has nothing to do with the other person. You can choose whether or not to engage. Your little argument is like a skid mark on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 174April 8, 2019 5:48 PM

People leaving the faucet on while shaving or brushing their teeth.

by Anonymousreply 175April 8, 2019 5:51 PM

I do both in the shower, cuntessa di r275.

by Anonymousreply 176April 8, 2019 6:00 PM

R174, let’s see. Lucifer posts something where he questions something about Jesus. I respond to that post. You disagree, and are pretty rude about it.

I will say that the religious devotion that you show for your belief and the unshakable faith and righteousness in your cause reminds me a lot of the religious people you deride. You have a lot in common.

by Anonymousreply 177April 8, 2019 6:10 PM

Let it go, r177. Or start your own thread so the sane ones among us can block it.

by Anonymousreply 178April 8, 2019 6:12 PM

R177 --

Matthew 5:38-40

by Anonymousreply 179April 8, 2019 8:03 PM

It costed five bucks.

by Anonymousreply 180April 8, 2019 8:49 PM

What dis button do?

by Anonymousreply 181April 8, 2019 8:56 PM

I hate "voila" being widely mispronounced as WALLAH!

by Anonymousreply 182April 8, 2019 10:08 PM

Drive by my house at 1 am with your bass thumping. I’ll thump your head you little bastard!

by Anonymousreply 183April 8, 2019 10:31 PM

The overuse, specifically on this site, of the word “sociopath.”

It’s thrown around constantly and I don’t think people realize what an actual sociopath is.

by Anonymousreply 184April 8, 2019 10:33 PM

I keep thinking the headline is "PRETTY things that bug the hell out of you." Now, why would a PRETTY thing bug the hell out of me?

by Anonymousreply 185April 8, 2019 10:34 PM

People who don't assume single file when passing others on a sidewalk.

Tall guys who try to walk through people until they realize that tall and lanky doesn't mean sturdy and get knocked out of the way.

by Anonymousreply 186April 8, 2019 10:34 PM

Add it to the list, r184.

by Anonymousreply 187April 8, 2019 10:35 PM

[quote]I keep thinking the headline is "PRETTY things that bug the hell out of you." Now, why would a PRETTY thing bug the hell out of me?

A classic example would be Tommi DiDario. He IS a pretty little thing, but thick as a plank, and his rampant narcissism bugs the SHIT out of me.

by Anonymousreply 188April 8, 2019 10:37 PM

When people tell me 'no problem' instead of 'thank you', I want to rip their fucking heart out.

by Anonymousreply 189April 8, 2019 10:40 PM

To me, he's not even pretty, r188. Neither of them is. I put each of their threads on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 190April 8, 2019 10:42 PM

More like everyone under 50, r189, but WW.

by Anonymousreply 191April 8, 2019 10:42 PM

No problem means you've asked for something that deserves more than a thank you without giving anything back. Inappropriate in a retail situation, but in a personal situation... why do you think you deserve something for nothing?

by Anonymousreply 192April 9, 2019 12:38 AM

R84 is clearly a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 193April 9, 2019 12:46 AM

People who use "no worries" as a response to "thank you."

by Anonymousreply 194April 9, 2019 12:45 PM

People with the constant, "Right?" "Right?" "Right?" Do you need someone to confirm that every sentence you've uttered is correct? Buffoons.

by Anonymousreply 195April 9, 2019 12:48 PM

R189, I really don't get the issue with "no problem". I'm not in my 30's - I'm 42, but I worked as a server back in the 90's. If a guest made some special request, why would I respond with "thank you"? "No problem" to me is more like "got it, I got this covered".

by Anonymousreply 196April 9, 2019 1:09 PM

[quote]If a guest made some special request, why would I respond with "thank you"?

You wouldn't. "You're welcome" is what's called for.

by Anonymousreply 197April 9, 2019 1:11 PM

R197, that makes no sense. If a guest said something like "I'm allergic to [x], I would like [menu item]. but minus the [x], why would someone reply with "you're welcome"? To me, "no problem" is like saying "sure!", or "ok".

by Anonymousreply 198April 9, 2019 1:21 PM

R198, you’ve got it reversed.

We’re referring to someone says “thank you” to you and your response is “no problem,” as opposed to “you’re welcome.”

by Anonymousreply 199April 9, 2019 1:25 PM

Oh...in that instance, r198, "no problem" [italic]is[/italic] what's called for.

by Anonymousreply 200April 9, 2019 1:40 PM

People who use incorrect grammar or punctuation to explain a pet peeve about grammar or punctuation. This thread is full of that shit.

by Anonymousreply 201April 9, 2019 2:39 PM

It's a doggy-dog world r201

by Anonymousreply 202April 9, 2019 2:51 PM

[quote]People who use "no worries" as a response to "thank you."

R194 Better stay out of Australia because everyone responds to "thank you" with "no worries".

by Anonymousreply 203April 9, 2019 2:54 PM

I like responding to "Thank you" with "Certainly." Not as formal as "You're welcome" or as casual as "No problem."

by Anonymousreply 204April 9, 2019 3:50 PM

[quote] Better stay out of Australia because everyone responds to "thank you" with "no worries".

Speaking of Australians, why do they ask "How are you going?"

"How are you doing?" or "How's it going?" make sense.

by Anonymousreply 205April 9, 2019 4:23 PM

Stinky bums on the train with their whole shitty life in a Home Depot cart.

by Anonymousreply 206April 9, 2019 5:53 PM

A nice alternative response to "thank you" is, "my pleasure."

by Anonymousreply 207April 9, 2019 5:58 PM

r206

by Anonymousreply 208April 9, 2019 5:58 PM

Constant sniffling or throat clearing and if you offer a tissue or cough drop they say “I’m good”

by Anonymousreply 209April 9, 2019 6:42 PM

The ridiculous way cereal is packaged. A cardboard box with a wax paper bag inside that doesnt even have a zip lock on it. The shit is stale in a couple of days unless you transfer it to another air tight container. Can't these people update the way its packaged? Its been the same for the last 60 years.

by Anonymousreply 210April 9, 2019 6:53 PM

R108: Well we could raise the speed limit on highways to 85MPH without too many issues. Especially when everything is automated.

by Anonymousreply 211April 9, 2019 7:11 PM

[quote] "Try and" is grammatically incorrect. One tries TO do something.

Not always, such as "Try and I will punch you in the face".

by Anonymousreply 212April 9, 2019 8:04 PM

I have heard some Europeans who speak English as a second language respond to “Thank you”, with, “Of course.”, which I think is cute. Usually, they learn British English and I get a kick out of British English spoken with a splash of their native Czech, or Dutch, or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 213April 9, 2019 8:19 PM

[quote]I am trying to honor the requests from a few others to drop the topic, but that’s hard to do unless you STFU, too, so how about that?

R173, I haven't seen any requests to drop the topic. But if it's something [italic]you[/italic] would prefer to do, then I accept your concession.

by Anonymousreply 214April 9, 2019 8:20 PM

r212, shouldn't there be a comma there? "Try, and I will punch you in the face!"

by Anonymousreply 215April 9, 2019 8:51 PM

Yes, R212.

by Anonymousreply 216April 9, 2019 9:04 PM

I’m so proud of my fellow Punctuationists on this board lately.

by Anonymousreply 217April 9, 2019 9:22 PM

Stretch pants or leggings with an obvious camel toe displayed proudly 🐪 🐫

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218April 10, 2019 1:31 AM

People who take up two parking spots. God that pisses me off.

by Anonymousreply 219April 10, 2019 1:50 AM

R219

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220April 10, 2019 2:10 AM

In the past decade, the following headline style has become popular: Netanyahu SAYS Will Begin Annexing West Bank if He Wins Israel Election.

Why the fuck are they using "says" like that? It hurts the eyes and the brain. Why don't they write it as:

Netanyahu: Isreal Will Begin Annexing West Bank if I Win Election

by Anonymousreply 221April 10, 2019 4:46 PM

In this case, I have read that he has a habit of saying, or promising, stuff like that and then conveniently letting it fall by the wayside after he's attracted the attention from fans over it.

(See also: USA prez)

by Anonymousreply 222April 10, 2019 5:25 PM

[quote]Netanyahu SAYS Will Begin Annexing West Bank

What does Begin have to do with it?

by Anonymousreply 223April 10, 2019 5:27 PM

People who pronounce the holiday as "HOLLOW-ween" instead of "HALLO-ween." It's All HALLOW'S Eve, not All HOLLOW'S Eve. HALLOW. Rhymes with shallow.

by Anonymousreply 224April 10, 2019 5:28 PM

Just call it Pumpkin Spice Night, r224. Everyone can say that.

by Anonymousreply 225April 10, 2019 5:29 PM

The innumerable listings on Amazon and eBay that are clearly written by non-English speakers and/or look like they were run through Google Translate. I do not understand why they can't hire someone to clean up their language so that it isn't painful to read.

by Anonymousreply 226April 10, 2019 9:31 PM

R226, Amazon is completely flooded with cheap junk shit from China, by wannabe "entrepreneurs".

by Anonymousreply 227April 10, 2019 9:43 PM

They also conveniently post about how wealthy they are, and pitch their "training courses" on how you can be a successful entrepreneur too. It's Anthony Robbins, Susan Powter, Herbalife, Avon shit all over yet again.

by Anonymousreply 228April 10, 2019 9:46 PM

Neighbors in multi-unit buildings who lack the common sense to flatten cardboard boxes before putting them in the recycling dumpster. Every week the receptacles are overflowing within a few days after the last pickup because of these idiots, but it seems only a few people in the building care.

by Anonymousreply 229April 11, 2019 1:02 PM

Feigned masculinity in pron.

"Yeah buddy! Fuck yeah buddy! Take that cock buddy!"

by Anonymousreply 230April 11, 2019 2:05 PM

[quote]Neighbors in multi-unit buildings who lack the common sense to flatten cardboard boxes before putting them in the recycling dumpster.

I often fill such boxes with other recyclables. I am sure, of course, you ascertained before posting that your neighbors were not doing the same.

by Anonymousreply 231April 11, 2019 2:09 PM

Selfish grubs who don't use towels at the gym and leave their sweat on machines.

by Anonymousreply 232April 11, 2019 2:18 PM

Morons who drive someone to a grocery store, etc, and instead of parking, sit in their car in the "no parking" zone out front. Either that or they park in the handicapped spot and say "Oh, I'll just be a minute!"

fucktards

by Anonymousreply 233April 15, 2019 12:18 AM

People who dial a wrong number - mine - then get all pissy and hang up in a fury because I'm not the person they want to talk to.

by Anonymousreply 234April 15, 2019 2:05 AM

[quote]Neighbors in multi-unit buildings who lack the common sense to flatten cardboard boxes before putting them in the recycling dumpster.

Add to that neighbours in multi-unit buildings who stuff a giant garbage bag in the chute that would never possibly fit / go down the chute. Or ones that just leave the bag on the floor along with their recycling because they're too lazy to take something to the proper area for disposal.

by Anonymousreply 235April 15, 2019 2:08 AM

Dipshits that spend 20 minutes doing a 12 point turn so they can back in to a parking space. This seems to be essential parking these days, especially if it’s a crowded, narrow parking lot, and you can keep a lot of people waiting.

What is the obsession with this trend? How did we do so long without it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236April 15, 2019 3:05 AM

I fucking HATE people who insist on backing into parking spaces and making everyone wait. UGH. Just pull the fuck in like a normal person!

by Anonymousreply 237April 15, 2019 3:33 AM

roasted meat in the compost bin. takeout meals including the containers in the compost bin.

by Anonymousreply 238April 15, 2019 3:49 AM

r21, warrior is pronounced "wore your" in American English. Only in England is it war ee or

by Anonymousreply 239April 15, 2019 3:59 AM

No, R239. You are wrong.

by Anonymousreply 240April 15, 2019 4:09 AM

no r240, you're wrong

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241April 15, 2019 4:12 AM

I hear three syllables, r241. Both pronunciations.

by Anonymousreply 242April 15, 2019 4:17 AM

Scandal (feat Patty Smyth)—The War-ee-yor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243April 15, 2019 4:24 AM

People who always say "anyways".

by Anonymousreply 244April 15, 2019 4:25 AM

People that always exclaim,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245April 15, 2019 4:48 AM

"Warrior" is three syllables, and anyone who says it with only two, like "Waryer" or "Woyer" is a fucking uneducated moron.

by Anonymousreply 246April 15, 2019 4:56 AM

Or American.. Webster dictionary pronunciation guide for warrior : ˈwȯr-yər Do you see 3 syllables in that, r246? Because I see TWO

by Anonymousreply 247April 15, 2019 4:59 AM

THEY ARE FUCKING WRONG THEN. Jesus. Loo at the fucking word. "WARRIOR". There's three syllables there. There's no "yer".

Stop trying to justify a gross, stupid, bad-sounding, ignorant, WRONG pronunciation.

by Anonymousreply 248April 15, 2019 5:01 AM

I'm in eastern PA. We say "scallops" as in "gallops."

My peeve, which is now in mainstream media, is spelling the past tense of "lead" as "lead" rather than the correct "led."

How did that begin? How did it become pervasive? Are students not taught verb tenses anymore? I guess not, since so many Americans think "of" is part of those tenses.

I agree, r248. Now the dictionary is also claiming "Feb-u-ary" is an accepted pronunciation of the month! Authorities losing expertise; the center cannot hold.

by Anonymousreply 249April 15, 2019 5:05 AM

When some black folks call shrimp “scrimps”

by Anonymousreply 250April 15, 2019 5:16 AM

When people use the condescending "folks."

by Anonymousreply 251April 15, 2019 5:22 AM

Why is "folks" condescending? I don't think it's something I say, but it doesn't seem condescending.

by Anonymousreply 252April 15, 2019 5:22 AM

White people can't say folks about brown people.

by Anonymousreply 253April 15, 2019 5:24 AM

Oh. I see. I don't.

by Anonymousreply 254April 15, 2019 5:31 AM

I’m R250 and I’m black so want to try again?

by Anonymousreply 255April 15, 2019 5:35 AM

I've never heard of "scrimps," either. White, though.

by Anonymousreply 256April 15, 2019 5:36 AM

Scrimps Bowl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257April 15, 2019 5:41 AM

^^This^^ No, it actually annoys me when people write ^^this^^ in threads.

by Anonymousreply 258April 15, 2019 5:51 AM

I’m admittedly guilty of that, r258.

by Anonymousreply 259April 15, 2019 9:20 AM

I don't do "^^this^^." Too many times, I've done it and someone else has slipped in in front of me, so that what I'm then referring to makes no sense. So I quote now.

by Anonymousreply 260April 15, 2019 9:46 AM

Same here, r260. That’s why I stopped doing it, but I had to admit to r258 having done it in the past.

by Anonymousreply 261April 15, 2019 10:39 AM

How increasingly more nasal some voice pattens have become in the 21st C. Even news reporters have nasal voices now.

Nasal voices sound whiny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262April 15, 2019 10:52 AM

Cory Booker's love life. I feel like he's bullshitting. His ideas matter, not his dating status, but it bugs me he seems to be trying to pull a fast one.

by Anonymousreply 263April 15, 2019 11:21 AM

*patterns

by Anonymousreply 264April 15, 2019 11:24 AM

When pretentious nitwits (see above) insist there is only one true way to pronounce certain words.

I'm the first person to jump on bad spelling or grammar, but pronunciation often just comes down to regional dialect. And there are far too many of those to proclaim one "the correct way."

by Anonymousreply 265April 15, 2019 11:59 AM

I’ll get blasted for this, but one thing that bothers me are female news anchors who wear tight fitting (often sleeveless) dresses to deliver the news.

No I’m not a prude. No, I’m not trying to police what women wear on their own time. But it looks so unprofessional in a news setting, especially when they’re sharing the desk with a man wearing a suit. Was this the idea of some male producer who wants to titillate male viewers? Is it a sign of some kind of “empowerment” to wear clothes meant for a cocktail party? I wouldn’t take a seriously a male anchor wearing a sleeveless or form fitting shirt to deliver news about the economy, earthquakes, etc. Saw a newscast from the nineties on YouTube and was struck by how much more serious and professional the women dressed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266April 15, 2019 12:03 PM

R265, when you pronounced "warrior" like it rhymes with "lawyer", then yes, you are pronouncing it wrong. Pronunciation matters. It's how we understand each other. It's every bit as important as spelling or grammar. You're just plain wrong.

by Anonymousreply 267April 15, 2019 1:51 PM

In one of those prescription meds commercials they say:

[quote]If you’re allergic to Chantix, don’t take Chantix.

I mean, no shit! How would I know if I’m allergic to it without taking it? And if I knew I was allergic, why the fuck would I take it.

Just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 268April 15, 2019 2:49 PM

Petty Things at work (I'm sure there are thousands, but this was always my "favorite"):

You are on deadline and someone comes by to ask "just a quick question". And that "quick question" turns into a multi-layered, 5 minute "can I ask one more thing" Q &A that in fact takes up time you don't have.

by Anonymousreply 269April 15, 2019 2:53 PM

R268 I kind of understand the commercials, but only because I come from a pharmacy background. Way too often I've heard things like, "I'm allergic to Tylenol, so I took some acetaminophen." People don't often understand that drugs come in brand names and generic names.

But still, yes, annoying. Hell, most drug commercials are annoying. Lots of times the length of warnings in the hastened voiceover is longer than the narrative.

by Anonymousreply 270April 15, 2019 3:23 PM

Cutesy phrases to describe things like: woke and alpha

When manufacturers don't make a complete line of product SKUs - like they make 8-packs of items and 4-packs of only some of them, but not all of them, or when they make a refills for some of their products, but not others.

by Anonymousreply 271April 15, 2019 3:44 PM

What I hate about "alpha" is that most people on DL use it in the negative as an insult. Some asshole called Julian Morris "not alpha enough" to play a gay superhero. I'd rather be "not alpha enough" than be assholescent enough to think that, let alone type it.

by Anonymousreply 272April 15, 2019 5:08 PM

[quote]I’ll get blasted for this, but one thing that bothers me are female news anchors who wear tight fitting (often sleeveless) dresses to deliver the news.

Yes, especially when it's Marci Gonzalez, who manages to look both sleazy and anorexic. I can never help yelling "Good god, woman, eat a sandwich or something, for fuck's sake!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273April 15, 2019 5:48 PM

Scrimps @ 1:18 in R257 post. And boy do they look good! Big Mike is pretty entertaining though.

by Anonymousreply 274April 15, 2019 6:18 PM

Yeah Big Mike is having a one-man foodie party! He’s funny! 😄

by Anonymousreply 275April 15, 2019 6:43 PM

People saying gift and gifted instead of give and given. Not pronouncing the l, as in calling the Golf Channel the Gawf Channel, or pronouncing Willam as Weeyum.

by Anonymousreply 276April 15, 2019 10:20 PM

[quote]pronouncing Willam as Weeyum.

When you [italic]spell[/italic] "William" the way you do, anything is possible.

by Anonymousreply 277April 15, 2019 10:37 PM

People who do price checks in the express checkout lane at the grocery store. Disclaimer - my 76 year old dad, whom I love very much, does this constantly and it drives me nuts. The laser focused dirty looks from everyone behind us, as the line backs up, is humiliating.

by Anonymousreply 278April 15, 2019 11:06 PM

The dog ownership boom.

by Anonymousreply 279April 16, 2019 12:30 AM

WAY too fucking many dogs around.

by Anonymousreply 280April 16, 2019 12:30 AM

Women, particularly mothers, who laud each other as "badass" or "rockstar" for being ordinary.

"Kristin works full-time AND is home in time to put dinner on the table for her kids. What a rockstar!"

by Anonymousreply 281April 24, 2019 12:26 AM

TV news anchors when they go to a commercial break saying "say with us" "don't go away" etc.

I don't go anywhere, it is they who are going away to a commercial break. Yes I know it is petty but that is what this thread asked for.

by Anonymousreply 282April 24, 2019 12:38 AM

Hausfraus - tourist or resident - who think nothing of getting on a rush hour bus with those double wide strollers. They don't fit down the aisle, the elderly have to vacate the front seats so they can be folded up to accommodate little Madison and Jaysen and all their toys.

by Anonymousreply 283April 24, 2019 12:59 AM

Department stores like Target misspelling 'Stationery.' Ugh. I feel like saying "None of the goods in 'Stationary' can be priced to move."

by Anonymousreply 284April 24, 2019 1:01 AM

Target being considered a "department store". I suppose it is, but sad times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285April 24, 2019 1:05 AM

R266, my guess is the women are told to dress that way. It seemed to start with Fox (not FOX) and the rest have followed suit.

by Anonymousreply 286April 24, 2019 1:22 AM

For the "15 items or less" poster above, we should just do "≤ 15 items' and be done with it.

by Anonymousreply 287April 24, 2019 1:32 AM

I'd agree, R287, but you just know some store would put up "> 15".

by Anonymousreply 288April 24, 2019 1:36 AM

Coke makes a 24-pack carton of Diet Coke, but not for the far superior Coke Zero or Sprite Zero.

by Anonymousreply 289April 24, 2019 1:53 AM

I like fruit cups because they are convenient when I don't want to eat fresh fruit or frozen fruit. I hate that they are so small and designed for little kids. Its fucking fruit people, can you please increase the unit size so I dont have to open four of them for decent snack? You might even win a few new adult customers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290April 24, 2019 2:50 AM

Beanie caps or whatever they are called, worn by men over 40, inside the house.

by Anonymousreply 291April 24, 2019 2:53 AM

"Beanie" has a whole new meaning now than it had when I was a child. I can't even find a pic of what I always thought was a beanie. I'll just say it looked more like a baseball cap, only it didn't cover as much of the head, and had a much smaller brim. It wasn't the wool things people call a "beanie" today. And only Poindexters wore them. Or you could call a yarmulke a beanie.

by Anonymousreply 292April 24, 2019 2:57 AM

This is what I think of.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293April 24, 2019 4:55 AM

Those who don’t know the difference between “lie” and “lay.”

And if attempts are made to use either in the past tense - horrors always ensue.

by Anonymousreply 294April 24, 2019 5:19 AM

R276 - I share your grief.

Gifted is not a verb, hayseeds.

by Anonymousreply 295April 24, 2019 5:22 AM

Uptalking.

Particularly by other men, who should maintain some dignity and authority of expression.

by Anonymousreply 296April 24, 2019 5:25 AM

Formatting dates-

The correct method is Year - Month - Day, and the full year used. 2019-04-03 or April 03 2019

Any other way is confusing, and can be misread easily. For example, what's this? 04-03-02. It could be many dates, depending on the sequence used.

by Anonymousreply 297April 24, 2019 5:34 AM

[quote] The correct method is Year - Month - Day, and the full year used. 2019-04-03 or April 03 2019

Actually, "April 03 2019" is the confusing way. With 2019-04-03 and 03 April 2019, you're at least going from general to specific or vice-versa. With April 03 2019, you're switching directions.

by Anonymousreply 298April 24, 2019 5:40 AM

Americans (mainly) pronouncing 'roof' as 'ruf', like a dog's bark. Creek is another one that is pronounced 'funny' by Americans.

by Anonymousreply 299April 24, 2019 5:42 AM

Calling a 0 (zero) an o (oh). One is a number, the other is a letter, and they are NOT interchangeable.

by Anonymousreply 300April 24, 2019 5:49 AM

Re: R297 This is the International Standard ISO 8601

by Anonymousreply 301April 24, 2019 6:08 AM

r300 watched Beverly Hills Nine Zero Two One Zero in the One Nine Nine Zeros.

by Anonymousreply 302April 24, 2019 9:52 AM

Yes, r293. THAT is a beanie. How were you able to find it? And what do you call the moving part on top?

r292

by Anonymousreply 303April 24, 2019 9:53 AM

R299, it's not Americans, is regionally specific in the US. I notice ruff as well as not pronouncing the "t" in winter or pronouncing "button" as budden or picture as "pitcher," Not sure what part of the US this indicates. Sorry I didn't put quotations marks everywhere it was needed; I'm sure it'll needle one of you.

by Anonymousreply 304April 24, 2019 12:47 PM

Petty people are usually the world's most common annoyance.

by Anonymousreply 305April 24, 2019 1:09 PM

"Bougie" does not mean high class you fools. It means "Middle Class".

by Anonymousreply 306April 24, 2019 4:18 PM

Over the past couple of weeks the word "redacted" has reached the point of ridiculousness. An Associated Press article in today's Santa Rosa Press Democrat about a lad who fell from a cliff at Yosemite National Park said that the names of witnesses were "redacted." What the fuck? How about, "the names were WITHHELD," as the phrase has always been?

by Anonymousreply 307April 24, 2019 5:00 PM

Adding to misused words and phrases:

Using "comprised of" instead of "composed of"

Comprise is a verb that means “to include or contain” or “to consist of” as in [italic]The pie comprises eight slices.[/italic]

Compose means “to be or constitute a part of element of” or “to make up or form the basis of,” as in [italic]Eight slices compose the pie[/italic]. The key rule to remember is that the whole comprises the elements or parts, and the elements or parts compose the whole.

[italic]The Chicago Manual of Style[/italic], while recognizing its increasing popularity, states that the phrase “is comprised of” is poor usage and should be avoided. On the other hand, “is composed of” is perfectly acceptable.

I saw a steel plaque for a sculpture with the text "is comprised of" and i wondered why "is composed of" or "consists of" wasn't used.

by Anonymousreply 308April 24, 2019 5:11 PM

[quote]I like fruit cups because they are convenient when I don't want to eat fresh fruit or frozen fruit. I hate that they are so small and designed for little kids. Its fucking fruit people, can you please increase the unit size so I dont have to open four of them for decent snack? You might even win a few new adult customers?

You'd better not be tardy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309April 24, 2019 8:49 PM

R303, that's a propeller. I found it by looking for old-style beanie.

by Anonymousreply 310April 24, 2019 9:18 PM

Once again, gross and inappropriate things in each and every recycling bin in my apartment building. People are doing this on PURPOSE. They can't be this dumb.

by Anonymousreply 311April 24, 2019 9:20 PM

Like what, r311?

by Anonymousreply 312April 25, 2019 2:07 AM

For R292

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313April 25, 2019 2:13 AM

I called them Fozzie Bear hats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314April 25, 2019 2:17 AM

Oh, THANK you, r313.

by Anonymousreply 315April 25, 2019 2:18 AM

311 plastic food containers in the paper/carboard bin. Chicken carcasses,, take out fast food, in fact entire scraps from any sort of barbecue, party or dinner - including disposable grills, in the compost bin. untaxed bags of garbage in the garbage bag bin (bags are 2-5 bucks in each in my town), gigantic cardboard boxes filled with styrofoam, and plastic peanuts, just plopped into paper bin. etc etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 316April 25, 2019 8:41 PM

Where exactly is this located r316?

Asking for the Darfur Orphan.

by Anonymousreply 317April 25, 2019 8:47 PM

Switzerland. Imagine paying 5 bucks for the privilege of tossing your garbage, Darfur Orphan.

People can't be arse by the entire anal retentive oppressive Swiss organization so they deliberately chuck their shit everywhere.

The reason the county is clean is because they PAY city employees to be constantly cleaning. In accordance, the people are actually complete pigs.

by Anonymousreply 318April 25, 2019 8:51 PM

[quote]Simply put, “it’s” is only used when you intend to say it is. All other uses, including possessives, should be written as its. I have learned to give a little leeway with this due to autocorrect. Indeed, just typing this I had to force the phone to say its and not it’s.

You can also give some leeway because this one is admittedly weird and confusing. For example, "The boy walked over to the dog and started petting the dog's back" is correct, but "....started petting it's back" is incorrect. The apostrophe is correctly used when forming the possessive of the noun but not when forming the possessive of the pronoun. That tripped me up a lot when I was a kid trying to learn the rule.

by Anonymousreply 319April 25, 2019 8:59 PM

Honestly, r319, I didn’t learn this little rule until college. I must’ve done it all through high school, mainly for the reasons you described. It’s naturally very confusing.

by Anonymousreply 320April 25, 2019 9:25 PM

People (99% of the time it's women) who drive around holding their phone in front of their face like a pizza slice with one hand, while steering the vehicle with the other. It's invariably a new SUV (something large and expensive like a Range Rover or X5) that has bluetooth capabilities, but still they insist on not only being distracted while behind the wheel of 7,000 pounds of steel, but also taking one hand off of the wheel to do it.

by Anonymousreply 321June 5, 2019 8:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!