Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lawrence Welk: Did any of the male singers make you tingle a bit?

I remember as a teenager staying over my Grandmother's and being forced to watch this Christian dribble of a show, but some of the men were hunky in their own way. I remember one named Steve Smith who made me realize I had a same sex attraction.

Anyone have a favorite?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 12, 2019 12:34 AM

Steve Smith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 6, 2019 12:50 AM

🤮 puke!

by Anonymousreply 2April 6, 2019 12:52 AM

Clay Hart

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 6, 2019 12:56 AM

I was so in lust for Guy Hovis. He still makes my bits tingle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 6, 2019 12:56 AM

Jack Imel does it for me in this picture.

And I’m a millennial! (30s) I watch it on PBS. It’s like comfort food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 6, 2019 12:57 AM

Tom Netherton was a homosexualist who apparently had an affair with Kathie Lee Gifford's first husband. Welk was always commenting on the fact that he wasn't married. ("And ladiies, he's still single.") He never did marry. He died last year, still in the closet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2019 12:59 AM

Guy was hot.

by Anonymousreply 7April 6, 2019 12:59 AM

The Otwell Twins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 6, 2019 1:01 AM

Neil LeVang

Wasn't the organist gay (and arrested on a morals charge, post-Welk)?

My favorite Lawrence Wlk moment: after tap dancer Arthur Duncan finished his routine, Welk applauded and said "Arthur Duncan, a wonderful dancer, and a credit to his race"

by Anonymousreply 9April 6, 2019 1:03 AM

Bob Ralston (who played, yes, the organ) got himself into trouble with underage boys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 6, 2019 1:04 AM

The conductor has that certain twinkle. He’s cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 6, 2019 1:11 AM

TLWS was hip, y'all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 6, 2019 1:11 AM

The Happy Norwegian, Myron Floren

by Anonymousreply 13April 6, 2019 1:12 AM

Ken Delo and his magnificent hairpiece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 6, 2019 1:17 AM

I was watching TLWS on the local PBS station and Miss Netherton appeared. I had to get a fire extinguisher to put out the flames coming from my TV set.

by Anonymousreply 15April 6, 2019 1:19 AM

My Aunt Bunny was watching with me and she had this to say:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 6, 2019 1:23 AM

Tom Netherton's nether regions smelled like Wonder Bread and his bedroom smelled of poppers

by Anonymousreply 17April 6, 2019 1:30 AM

Our babysitter loved this show in the late sixties. I know it well.

by Anonymousreply 18April 6, 2019 1:30 AM

I had fantasies about a three way with the Otwell twins. Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 19April 6, 2019 1:31 AM

Yes! I’m still turned on by the thought of hairy 80’s cock.

by Anonymousreply 20April 6, 2019 1:33 AM

Bobby and Sissy were favs

by Anonymousreply 21April 6, 2019 1:35 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 6, 2019 1:35 AM

No, I wasn’t into squares.

by Anonymousreply 23April 6, 2019 1:42 AM

I love squares. They’re stealth sexy.

by Anonymousreply 24April 6, 2019 1:44 AM

I watch this shitshow on PBS every week just for the kitsch and camp. Love all the pastel costumes, and you can almost smell the Aquanet.

by Anonymousreply 25April 6, 2019 1:51 AM

OP The Lawrence Welk Show, wasn't a "Christian" show, it was just a continuation of the way most mass market entertainment was until the revolutions of the 1960s changed things. The idea was basically to be as inoffensive as possible and to be something that everyone in the family could watch together, whether they were 4 or 84.

by Anonymousreply 26April 6, 2019 1:57 AM

My dear grandmother would make us a cup of hot chocolate (with condensed milk,yum !) and toast sliced french bread slathered in butter and melted cheese,and we'd cuddle up on her love seat and watch lawrence Welk and have a little nosh. Till the day Ill die I remember the feeling of being snuggled against her side (she in her yellow quilted house coat) sipping that chocolate and smelling her talcum powder ( she liked rose scented) and feeling so incredibly safe and loved. For that memory alone Ill always love lawrence Welk.

by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2019 2:05 AM

I can't remember the Otwell Twins but they were on The Lawrence Welk Show for 5 years. Pretty cute guys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 6, 2019 2:08 AM

That’s sweet r27.

by Anonymousreply 29April 6, 2019 2:10 AM

The King Family was where it was at!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 6, 2019 2:12 AM

The Otwells look like the Lost Osmonds.

R27 is my LW crush.

by Anonymousreply 31April 6, 2019 3:00 AM

I love that story, r27. Thanks for sharing it.

by Anonymousreply 32April 6, 2019 3:02 AM

I watched it as a kid because we only had one TV and and it was what my dad wanted to watch. Oh how I hated it.

Now I watch it with glee. But only the shows from the mid 70's on. I can't stand the black and white episodes or the ones from the Joann Castle years, what a fucking ham she was.

by Anonymousreply 33April 6, 2019 4:26 AM

The Otwell twins look like bobble head dolls

JoAnn Castle’s charm was that she was a ridiculous ham - her post-Welk troubles with drugs and men only add to the frisson

by Anonymousreply 34April 6, 2019 4:56 AM

Former mouseketeer Bobby Burgess

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 6, 2019 4:57 AM

I knew an old guy, who owned a clothing shop somewhere in the South in the 1960-70s. He never said who it was from the Lawrence Welk Show, but one of the guys came to town on some sort of LW show tour, ordered a bunch of clothes from his shop, messed around with his gay teenage son, who was going through "conversion" therapy, and then skipped town without paying for the clothes. Eventually, he said the LW production company paid the bill, so they wouldn't get bad publicity.

BTW, the teenage son grew into a man, who is now a gay conversion "practitioner," but surprise, surprise it didn't work, even though he now has a wife and several sons of his own. He hit me up on Grindr several times, not knowing who I was. I'm friends with one of his sons, or I would have outed him.

by Anonymousreply 36April 6, 2019 5:07 AM

WTF kind of corny, Ryan Murphy FAGGOTRY

by Anonymousreply 37April 6, 2019 7:15 AM

THEY FART BUBBLES!

by Anonymousreply 38April 6, 2019 7:22 AM

When did this place turn into a gay nursing home?

by Anonymousreply 39April 6, 2019 7:39 AM

Was Bobby Burgess a gay?

by Anonymousreply 40April 6, 2019 7:56 AM

Bobby Burgess went to Camp Poop Chute

by Anonymousreply 41April 6, 2019 10:10 AM

[quote]from the Joann Castle years, what a fucking ham she was.

YOWTCH.

When did queens stop loving outrageous women?

Joann Castle should be canonized as a DL saint.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 6, 2019 10:29 AM

SNL: funny

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 6, 2019 10:48 AM

I had sex with a Mouseketeer in 1976. He lived in my building on the UWS. I met him in the laundry room and we went home and fucked. I don't remember his name, but he looked more like Bobby than any other Mouseketeer I've seen pics of.

by Anonymousreply 44April 6, 2019 12:33 PM

R44, was your Mouseketeer a top or a bottom?

by Anonymousreply 45April 6, 2019 12:36 PM

We did not engage in anal sex, r45. Perhaps I should not have used the word "fucked." I had only done that once, and it hurt like hell. Later that summer, someone else made me cum hands-free, and that's how bottoms are born.

by Anonymousreply 46April 6, 2019 12:41 PM

Poor Jo Ann.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 6, 2019 1:40 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 6, 2019 1:47 PM

[quote]When did this place turn into a gay nursing home?

Not interested in the subject? Then fuck off. We're not impressed with how hip you are.

by Anonymousreply 49April 6, 2019 2:21 PM

Welk gave Joanne the last name "Castle" because she was as big as a house. I could never tolerate Joe Feeney's singing. This guy - on the drums - always looked like he scored copious amounts of pussy for some reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 6, 2019 2:45 PM

If you're ever in the San Diego area, check out the Welk resort north of Escondido. The lobby of the theater has memorabilia from his career and the show. And a GIANT champagne glass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 6, 2019 3:34 PM

I scored this tray at the swap meet last year!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 6, 2019 8:48 PM

^^That's original Champagne Lady Alice Lon. Welk fired her because something she wore on the show was too provocative. Of course, the replacement Champagne Lady, Norma Zimmer, was a good Christian woman who, unlike Alice, would never dress like a cheap slut.

by Anonymousreply 53April 7, 2019 2:52 PM

R40. Bobby is/was married to Myron's daughter. I think they had a bunch of kids.

Thst of course has nothing to do with if he's gay or not.

by Anonymousreply 54April 7, 2019 3:38 PM

Bill Paige played woodwinds on the Welk Show in the late 50s. Remember seeing a movie magazine "beefcake" spread on him. He had the hairiest chest and belly imaginable. What a hot man! Hubba hubba.

by Anonymousreply 55April 7, 2019 4:07 PM

We sort of knew Luanne Sims, one of the LW stars, when she lived in LA. She was fabulous and a very kind and generous person. Sadly, she is now RIP.

by Anonymousreply 56April 7, 2019 4:16 PM

My parents were strict Christians and we were not allowed to watch due to the suggestive nature of the program--it could lead to dancing.

by Anonymousreply 57April 7, 2019 4:22 PM

I worked with Tom Netherton years ago when he was on tour. Very nice guy. I tried hitting on him but he resisted, although I'm sure he was gay. Also worked with Cissy King and Bobby Burgess. Cissy was a hoot, lots of fun, very talented. Bobby was a nice man, very straight-laced, dedicated to his dancing and being very professional.

by Anonymousreply 58April 7, 2019 5:43 PM

Bobby Burgess looks great for someone in his late 70's.

I always heard Welk was pretty damn tight with a buck, but musicians were always glad to work for him. Better to work for a cheap bitch than not having a steady gig.

by Anonymousreply 59April 7, 2019 5:49 PM

Natalie Nevins. She always made me laugh when she appeared on PBS reruns. Extraordinarily prim and proper. Check out that 1960s nose job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 7, 2019 7:03 PM

I was backstage with Myron Floren while on tour on South Shore/Cohasset, Massachusetts. We were in a small bathroom talking about some last minute details of the show. Myron has to piss. He whips it out right while I was standing there. By the way Myron, I can see your Norwegian dick. Thanks for the view. You go, Myron.

by Anonymousreply 61April 7, 2019 7:16 PM

Would Bobby have lived in NY in 1976?

by Anonymousreply 62April 7, 2019 7:19 PM

Welk used to introduce Joanne Castle as the "rag time piano girl"; and friend quipped that she played a Tampax piano.

by Anonymousreply 63April 7, 2019 7:33 PM

60 Natalie was fired for lying about why she needed a day off. Returned to Philadelphia to care for her ill mother and to be near her brother, a priest She died at 85 in 2010,

by Anonymousreply 64April 7, 2019 7:36 PM

?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 7, 2019 7:39 PM

Lawrence Welk was a sadistic fuck with repressed feelings for penis

by Anonymousreply 66April 7, 2019 8:32 PM

[quote]Welk fired her because something she wore on the show was too provocative.

Yeah—she showed her knees. Welk said that kind of "cheesecake" was unacceptable and showed her the door.

by Anonymousreply 67April 7, 2019 8:39 PM

How did "cheesecake" become synonymous with "sexy"?

by Anonymousreply 68April 7, 2019 8:41 PM

He also made lady cast members who were in the family way hide their pregnant bellies. Usually it was via flowing, diaphanous, caftan-like getups or standing behind set decor such as potted plants. Occasionally he took more drastic measures, such as making Jo Ann Castle perform in a bunny costume for an Easter-themed episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 7, 2019 8:47 PM

[quote]How did "cheesecake" become synonymous with "sexy"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70April 7, 2019 8:48 PM

It was long before GG, r70.

by Anonymousreply 71April 7, 2019 8:51 PM

R69 that poor Morman, Sandi Griffiths was perpetually in the family way. They were always trying to hide her baby bumps.

by Anonymousreply 72April 7, 2019 10:07 PM

Sandi first appeared on the Welk show with her BYU classmate Sally Flynn, as the singing duo Sandi and Salli. Sally left to pursue a Broadway career and later married Clay Hart, another Welk show regular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 8, 2019 12:35 AM

Weren't there many Champagne Ladies? I seem to recall a reunion event where all the past Champagne Ladies appeared together.

In the Sixties, I remember all the gossip magazines my mom bought always had some dirt on the Lennon Sisters.

by Anonymousreply 74April 8, 2019 1:55 AM

The Welk band had a number of Champagne Ladies in the 1930s and '40s. But during the show's long run on national television, I think Alice Lon and Norma Zimmer were the only two Champagne Ladies. The show ran 16 years on ABC, from 1955 to 1971, and then for 11 years in first-run syndication, from 1971 to 1982.

by Anonymousreply 75April 8, 2019 2:05 AM

[quote]Lawrence Welk was a sadistic fuck with repressed feelings for penis

"Repressed" is right. Once he did a guest shot on The Mike Douglas Show, and Bette Midler was also a guest. He wouldn't go near her, saying he was afraid she would give him crabs.

She told him he should be so lucky.

by Anonymousreply 76April 8, 2019 2:12 AM

"And ladies, he's still single."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 12, 2019 12:22 AM

Would you look at the hair on that rascal @R77!!!

by Anonymousreply 78April 12, 2019 12:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!