Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's your take on Dachsunds?

Which sort do you prefer?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 15, 2019 12:00 AM

Don't know what a Dachsund is.....

But I do like DACHSHUNDS, the small long dogs!

by Anonymousreply 1March 31, 2019 12:30 AM

Miniature longhaired

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 31, 2019 12:31 AM

I like the miniature smooth ones the best, like our little doggie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 31, 2019 12:33 AM

Are those your passwords, taped on the bottom of your screen, OP???

I prefer Dachshunds that are smarter than you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4March 31, 2019 12:52 AM

Cows are smarter than you, R4.

by Anonymousreply 5March 31, 2019 12:57 AM

Standard size,short hair. Red or black. Either is great.

by Anonymousreply 6March 31, 2019 12:59 AM

They're the cunts of the dog world.

by Anonymousreply 7March 31, 2019 1:36 AM

Too chewy and gamey for my tastes.

by Anonymousreply 8March 31, 2019 1:38 AM

I've never owned one, although they look so cute. What are they like in terms of personality?

by Anonymousreply 9March 31, 2019 1:57 AM

My sister-in-law swears by them, saying they are the most wonderful, loyal dog. However, they bit 3 members of my family, so I'm not too keen on them. Very barky, very attached to only a few people.

by Anonymousreply 10March 31, 2019 2:01 AM

I have had five of them. All short hair and red. 4 tweenies and one mini. They are very devoted, like to be cuddled like babies, love to be under blankets no matter what the temperature is. Mine were all barky. And they can be very stubborn,but they are also very comical.

by Anonymousreply 11March 31, 2019 3:20 AM

It's my least favorite breed of dog. Many are tough to train and often pee and poop wherever they please. I believe they're also the top breed for biting, you just never hear about it because they don't do damage the way pitbulls and Rottweilers do.

by Anonymousreply 12March 31, 2019 3:26 AM

R2, he/she is an absolute beauty.

by Anonymousreply 13March 31, 2019 3:29 AM

Advice from my dogs’ neurologist: if you get a dachshund, get pet insurance. The breed seems to have faulty genetics that cause all kinds of shit to go wrong with their backs.

I like the wire haired ones, btw.

by Anonymousreply 14March 31, 2019 3:48 AM

The cowboy told me to get a long, little doggy.

by Anonymousreply 15March 31, 2019 4:28 AM

I have had multiple Dachshunds and not one has ever bitten anyone. Mine also have all been housebroken. My standard long-haired male tells you when he needs to go out. You have to be the Alpha with them period.

Yes, they are stubborn and headstrong. They love to bark. I call mine "gang members". However, they are loving and loyal little bastards.

Once, you have one, you probably won't get another breed. There is something about them that just sucks you in.

If you read up on the breed, they were bred this way. They were allowed to go hunt on their own and didn't need human twlling them to do it. They had to have a loud bark to be heard when they were underground going after prey.

My two right now are true hunters. Watching their noses track scents is a sight to see. I would never, ever let them off leash at a dog park.

by Anonymousreply 16March 31, 2019 5:14 AM

I think the r2 pic is the Irish cream color. I grew up with basset hounds and love all short legged dogs. But barking would be a problem for me. I heard of one that couldn’t go back to the vet as it was biting everyone!

by Anonymousreply 17March 31, 2019 5:20 AM

They tend to have 1 favorite person in the household and bond strongly with that person. They can be very moody and sit around sulking and pouting if something is not to their liking.

by Anonymousreply 18March 31, 2019 5:26 AM

Beach party for British sausage doggos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2019 5:58 AM

I like all dogs, but I have never met a Dachshund I liked.

by Anonymousreply 20March 31, 2019 6:05 AM

R20 then u don’t like all dogs.

by Anonymousreply 21March 31, 2019 6:15 AM

I've had three, all standard longhairs. Great breed, but not crazy about strangers and little kids. Like the books say, they do "announce guests" by barking like the Hounds of Hell. I think the longhairs a a bit more mellow than the shorthairs, but not by much.

They do have back problems, mostly because they're greedy little swine who get fat and their backs can't take it. One of mine needed surgery, the others I kept from getting fat and never had problems.

As far as hunting, I took mine to a cabin in Minnesota once. He saw some animal (chipmunk?) run into a woodpile as soon as we got there, and spent the entire week, all day every day, pacing back and forth, sniffing, digging, and generally trying to find whatever he saw run into that woodpile.

by Anonymousreply 22March 31, 2019 6:20 AM

Don’t forget what they were bred for they are smart, have just as much energy as a big dog and are highly amusing and social. Get a standard, less chance of genetic messups.

by Anonymousreply 23March 31, 2019 7:03 AM

I can't afford to get attached to a dog who. has a 25% chance of winding up paralyzed or needing tremendously expensive surgery.

The minis certainly are cute little critters but there are a lot of other, healthier dogs that are cute.

by Anonymousreply 24March 31, 2019 7:07 AM

My take is that you can take them. Make my small dog Italian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 31, 2019 5:24 PM

The Meghan Markles of the dog world. They can act comic, playful and adoring but are sulky, narcissistic and will bite if not constantly catered too. It's all about THEM.

by Anonymousreply 26March 31, 2019 5:32 PM

My aunt had one named Fritz. Devoted to her, but notoriously nasty to everyone else. I was quite afraid of him as a kid. I can still hear that vicious growl and ear-piercing bark of his. Fuck Fritz.

by Anonymousreply 27March 31, 2019 5:35 PM

They’re the best dogs in the world. Stubborn as fuck, completely oblivious of how tiny they are and they bark REALLY loudly, but I’d never get any other breed.

by Anonymousreply 28March 31, 2019 5:38 PM

they are on our short list of getting another dog. Also thinking about Toy Fox Terrier. My parameters are no yapping( that falls on us thru training) no biting , and must travel by air(size restriction)I

by Anonymousreply 29March 31, 2019 5:43 PM

If no yapping and no biting aren't within your parameters, r29, your list just got shorter.

by Anonymousreply 30March 31, 2019 5:46 PM

Are toy fox terriers yappy?

by Anonymousreply 31March 31, 2019 5:52 PM

Love them - but agree with above. They are stubborn and can be sulky if they don't get their way. Very very smart though - and will get back at you if the opportunity arises. Example - if the dog doesn't get treats or gets to sit on the couch, then strangely enough, half of the pee makes it on the puppy pad, half does not. Never happens any other time.

Backs are an inherent issue - my bf spent $6000 to correct a disc issue on his. They are intensely cute, smart, snuggly (they LOVE to be held and are extremely affectionate - I mean, they can go all night and never tire of it) and entertaining.

Stubborn as fuck though - and they seem to think they are above other dogs.

by Anonymousreply 32March 31, 2019 5:59 PM

I have become the owner of 4 of them. Three longhair and one wire. My father died, and they were his dogs. Stubborn to a fault. They are natural hunters, and love digging. They all have different personalities. One is very moody you are not holding him (Murphy). I am the only person (other than my late father) who he likes. Two of them are always bringing back dead rodents, and lizards from their adventures in the fields. Max & Oliver) The wire hair (Otto), is the clown of the group, and is always looking for someone to cuddle with him. 2 of the 4 can get snappy. The one that hates everyone but me, and Max, if you try to take a dead rodent/lizard away from him.

My dad had them pissing allover his house because he was using pee-pads. So when I got them they were not potty trained. It took me about 2 weeks to get them trained. Thank god I don't have carpet. People say they are hard to potty train, but I don't think any dog is. Just don't be a lazy fuck, let them out on a schedule, ad they get the hint.

Keeping their weight down is 100% a must to avoid spine issues. I also have them on joint supplements, and a raw food diet.

by Anonymousreply 33March 31, 2019 6:01 PM

The first time you try to get a dachshund on a leash to move when he doesn't want to move gives you a whole new appreciation of the importance of a low center of gravity.

by Anonymousreply 34March 31, 2019 6:21 PM

Toy fox terriers bark at everything. Plus their thin little legs are very prone to breaking. Same with min pins. Weiners have serious back problems.

by Anonymousreply 35March 31, 2019 6:42 PM

Toy fox terriers are just as cute as can be,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 31, 2019 7:31 PM

They’re wonderful! I have one and just performed a Doxie adoption at my rescue.

by Anonymousreply 37March 31, 2019 7:50 PM

[quote]They are intensely cute, smart, snuggly (they LOVE to be held and are extremely affectionate - I mean, they can go all night and never tire of it) and entertaining.

Unlike you know who...DL fave, Oliver.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 31, 2019 8:51 PM

Aren't they rather like Spaniels in that they don't age well?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 31, 2019 8:56 PM

[R39] Not in my experience.. our mini smoothie is 16 going on 6, she's amazing and still very black and tan, still a very keen ratter.

by Anonymousreply 40March 31, 2019 9:07 PM

I love black & tan Dachshunds like my sweet Duke. He’s 5.

by Anonymousreply 41March 31, 2019 9:09 PM

Post a pic, R41...if you know how.

by Anonymousreply 42March 31, 2019 9:10 PM

I've been afraid of them since I heard about the dachshund that ate a baby's penis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 31, 2019 10:10 PM

I' currently have 2 Dach's that are going on 16, and 2 prior. I've never had an issue with biting Proper training with any dog is a must to ensure they're properly socialized.

Also, with any purebred dog to need to find a breeder that loves the breed. Too many come from puppy mills that are just pushing them out for $$$

by Anonymousreply 44April 8, 2019 2:13 AM

The only problem is that they use your lap as an ass napkin. It’s that or scooting across the carpet.

Dachshunds have bad ass hygiene because they can’t reach back there.

Oh, and you’ll pay anything for somebody to express dachshund anal glands.

by Anonymousreply 45April 8, 2019 2:45 AM

I don’t like yappy little dogs but my brother and SIL have rescued and fostered many Dachshunds over the years and I have learned that they are sweet, lovable dogs.

Yes they love to snuggle under blankets. They also like to dig in the yard. A few of the dogs have had severe back issues but my brother happily puts up with it all.

by Anonymousreply 46April 8, 2019 2:59 AM

Very erotic and a very eager partner.

by Anonymousreply 47April 8, 2019 3:01 AM

R45, I am well versed in expressing anal glands at this point.

My very tiny mini smooth haired female had to have surgery to open up her anal glands. I also make sure they have pumpkin and sweet potato in their diet

by Anonymousreply 48April 8, 2019 3:01 AM

I don't like them. They're too often yappy and bitey. I was bitten twice by one as a child just because it didn't like the looks of me.

by Anonymousreply 49April 8, 2019 3:03 AM

My sister in law had one. He jumped off the couch and was paralyzed. She kept sending the family email updates even though no one cared. He ended up dragging his legs around and she had to squeeze his little dick to get him to pee. He wore a diaper to shit in. It stunk to high heaven. She got him a dog wheelchair and wouldn't go on vacations because she wouldn't leave him. This went on for about 10 years. No wonder she's single.

by Anonymousreply 50April 8, 2019 3:14 AM

That sounds sad R50.

by Anonymousreply 51April 8, 2019 5:37 AM

I love my short-haired black & tan dachshund - Duke. He's a sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 52April 8, 2019 12:53 PM

I've always had them. Grew up with the breed. They aren't for everyone. You need to have a strong personality and be willing to put them in their place. They can be stubborn. But they're hilarious and full of fun energy, and overall my favorite breed of dog.

by Anonymousreply 53April 8, 2019 12:59 PM

my Duke sure is stubborn. He will only piss outdoors when he is good and ready. it doesn't matter how long it takes him to find just the right spot, he'll make me wait on him in all kinds of weather.

by Anonymousreply 54April 8, 2019 1:00 PM

[quote]my Duke sure is stubborn.

You really named a dog "Duke"? Where do you live, 1957?

by Anonymousreply 55April 8, 2019 1:08 PM

No, fool, I didn't name him. I adopted him when he was one years old and he was named "Duke". I do not associate his name with some old hollywood celebrity, like apparently you do.

by Anonymousreply 56April 8, 2019 1:11 PM

r55, sorry for being snotty. i was coffee-deprived when i answered. now i'm not.

by Anonymousreply 57April 8, 2019 2:06 PM

Oh, it's okay. This is Datalounge. Cunting is the default setting.

by Anonymousreply 58April 8, 2019 2:07 PM

That cunty reply was exactly how dachsunds react, so it was perfect. The dachsunds that have bitten me would snap at anything moving nearby.

by Anonymousreply 59April 8, 2019 2:48 PM

[quote][R55], sorry for being snotty. i was coffee-deprived when i answered. now i'm not.

I'm glad you apologised, R56.

R55's post was funny. Not hysterical, but funny nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 60April 8, 2019 5:29 PM

[quote]my Duke sure is stubborn. He will only piss outdoors when he is good and ready. it doesn't matter how long it takes him to find just the right spot, he'll make me wait on him in all kinds of weather.

You never taught him who's boss. So he gives you the runaround, clearly.

by Anonymousreply 61April 8, 2019 5:33 PM

There was a fat smooth haired brown dachshund that patrolled my neighborhood. He was a bit of a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 62April 8, 2019 5:39 PM

Poor dog probably hates being called "Duke."

by Anonymousreply 63April 8, 2019 5:43 PM

I don't like the wirehaired ones when they've had a haircut. They look creepy.

by Anonymousreply 64April 8, 2019 5:43 PM

Heaven is a place on earth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 8, 2019 5:44 PM

Duke loves being himself. He’s very plump and juicy.

by Anonymousreply 66April 8, 2019 5:45 PM

I guess you could say Duke's his own person.

by Anonymousreply 67April 8, 2019 6:02 PM

Yes, Duke is extremely sweet and loves to be babied. He is though his own individual and enjoys being stubborn. It’s in the Dachshund constitution.

by Anonymousreply 68April 8, 2019 6:23 PM

A friend in LA has one. Daisy has cost her more in the last three years than she could possibly spend on a child. Special ramps to get in the bed or on the sofa. Gates to block the stairs. Almost weekly visits to the vet (the above-mentioned back and hip issues) and some pretty esoteric pet meds. A sort of sling arrangement to keep her in place in the backseat of the car. Valium for when she rides in the car. Pet MRIs. Not to mention what the walker and the doggy day care and boarding the dog costs when her owner travels for work.

She can afford it and it's not like the cost of dog-food means the kids are starving - she doesn't have any - but when she talks about the dog it's always, always costing her money. They don't seem to do much that's free.

by Anonymousreply 69April 8, 2019 6:40 PM

R69 some people are extreme. My Duke is healthy but plump. He goes to the vet for annual shots, nail trims and anal gland expressions. He eats Royal Canin dry food and blue buffalo canned lamb food mix.

by Anonymousreply 70April 8, 2019 6:45 PM

I love to follow Crusoe the Celebrity Dachshund on Instagram and YouTube, but I wouldn’t want to actually have one. They’re very high-maintenance.

by Anonymousreply 71April 8, 2019 6:58 PM

My Duke looks like Caruso but plumer!

by Anonymousreply 72April 8, 2019 7:37 PM

Post a pic of Duke. puhlease!

by Anonymousreply 73April 8, 2019 7:59 PM

So cute!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 9, 2019 5:28 AM

YOU take them.

by Anonymousreply 75April 9, 2019 6:17 AM

My Duke is ultra sweet and sweetly stubborn. His best friend, besides me, is Sprite, my Boston.

by Anonymousreply 76April 9, 2019 3:24 PM

Pics, please, r76.

by Anonymousreply 77April 9, 2019 3:26 PM

I don’t know how to post pics of them here via a website link.

by Anonymousreply 78April 9, 2019 3:32 PM

The only nasty dogs I've ever known have been dachshunds.

by Anonymousreply 79April 9, 2019 10:36 PM

[quote]I don’t know how to post pics of them here via a website link.

You go to the link below. Click the green box that says "NEW IMAGE" top left. Drag the photo from your computer onto the page. Copy the link and post the link here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 12, 2019 12:18 PM

thanx r80.

by Anonymousreply 81April 12, 2019 1:30 PM

Best thing I've eaten.

by Anonymousreply 82April 12, 2019 1:34 PM

My childhood dog was a dachshund. She was the most greedy, stubborn, high maintenance dog I ever had. But she had a huge personality and so much sass. She used to go wherever she pleased, she would get out and go to parties in our building, walk down the fire escape and waddle down the alley to go trash digging...she was oblivious about her size or any danger. She was fearless and entitled. There was never a dull moment with her around, that is for sure. I know other ones that are a lot sweeter and easier. Mine was a stumpy little monster.

by Anonymousreply 83April 12, 2019 1:45 PM

Dachshunds are notoriously stubborn. My Duke is his own person. Sweet as sugar yet very contrary.

by Anonymousreply 84April 12, 2019 1:48 PM

Had 2 mini long haired. The undercarriage clearance was always an issue in the winter. Had to shovel a path to the backyard area so they could go out. No walking them far in the neighborhood unless everyone shoveled their sidewalks. Plus most of the time they would thumb their nose at going out in the cold and wet weather. When they felt like it, not often, it was entertaining to watch them burrow under the snow and see a nose pop through every few minutes.

by Anonymousreply 85April 12, 2019 3:53 PM

Growing up, my family had Dachshunds. The first one was short haired, black and tan. His name was Pokey. I don't remember him too much, as I was pretty young. He seemed to have a nice disposition.. but, had an accident. He fell out of the back of our station wagon. He became crippled and dragged his hind legs. He had to be put down. The other one, was short haired and all tan. His name was Pretzel (after a childhood book). He lived to be 16, and could be very sweet and lovable. He could also be very stubborn and had a mean streak. If he was sleeping in his bed and you were near, he would growl and show his teeth. There were times he was a little bastard, but other times.. lots of fun, loved to play and be very cuddly. We had a game.. where I would run between two doors...he would run on the opposite side, and we would meet at one door. Then, we would continue, running to the other door.. back and forth. He loved to roll in shit and dead animals, too. After a bath, we had to make sure he didn't get out, because that would be the first thing he'd do. We used to have him sit up, for treats.. but, that is never good for their backs. Don't encourage that. His favorite human was my grandfather. For some reason, he went nuts when he came over. He adored grandpa. He also had a bad habit of humping the blanket in his bed. Weird little bugger.

by Anonymousreply 86April 12, 2019 4:30 PM

Don't back over them. Or get a border collie to grab 'em by the neck if you do...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 14, 2019 10:53 PM

The lovely Miniature Long-Haired!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88April 14, 2019 11:19 PM

All three varieties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 14, 2019 11:56 PM

Talking Daxy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 15, 2019 12:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!