Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The movie "Doubt"

At the end, Sister Vicious Power Hungry Bitch (played by Meryl Streep) says, "I have doubts."

Is she talking about:

1. The accusations against the priest;

2. Her faith; or

3. Both?

by Anonymousreply 108June 19, 2019 10:05 AM

Poor movie adaptation.

Streep too mannered. Loved Cherry Jones on Broadway.

PSH poorly cast; looks too much like a perv.

Broadway actor much better, handsome, personable, made case seem doubtful. Which was the point.

by Anonymousreply 1March 28, 2019 3:56 PM

Pretty much agree, r1.

by Anonymousreply 2March 28, 2019 4:00 PM

The dried up old nun's doubting her sexuality, and acknowledging her inherent pussy lapping ways.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 28, 2019 4:00 PM

This was her best role.

by Anonymousreply 4March 28, 2019 4:04 PM

Patrick Shanley refused to answer that question in an interview. He said that even he, the author didn’t know

by Anonymousreply 5March 28, 2019 4:04 PM

To me it reads as: she has her doubts about the priest’s innocence.

by Anonymousreply 6March 28, 2019 4:06 PM

She has her doubts about acting alongside the vanilla and amateurish Amy Adams.

by Anonymousreply 7March 28, 2019 4:07 PM

I thought Amy Adams was excellent. She was playing a vanilla and amateurish nun. The contrast with the principal was important.

Viola Davis steals the entire movie in that one scene. It was shocking and done to perfection.

by Anonymousreply 8March 28, 2019 4:20 PM

^^^Agreed 100%!

by Anonymousreply 9March 28, 2019 4:37 PM

She was talking about her upcoming undeserved Oscar nod #253.

by Anonymousreply 10March 28, 2019 4:50 PM

That one powerful scene is where Viola’s snot acting began. Unfortunately it has continued in every rolr she has since assayed making it ludicrous and fake in hindsight.

by Anonymousreply 11March 28, 2019 5:03 PM

That snot deserved its own Oscar for a supporting role.

by Anonymousreply 12March 28, 2019 5:05 PM

She's saying that she doubts whether Pam Anderson's boobs are real, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 13March 28, 2019 5:05 PM

I didn't see the play, but the movie made it clear that the priest was guilty of molesting the boy. That's why the boy's mother's reaction is so shocking and understandable at the same time.

I thought Mother Meryl's doubts was about the church, and perhaps her own sexual desires.

by Anonymousreply 14March 28, 2019 5:28 PM

I thought the whole point was that it was ambiguous, and the theme of the whole movie.

by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2019 5:39 PM

To have a lying psychopath satanist portray a holy nun on screen was indeed a sacrilege.

by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2019 5:41 PM

The role would have been a nice bookend for Vanessa.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 28, 2019 6:52 PM

It’s deliberately ambiguous. It could be her trust in the church. It might be how her actions rebound on her faith. (In the play—and maybe the movie—she says something like “in the pursuit of truth, you step away from God.”) On a practical level, she might be wondering about the efficacy of her decision: by pursuing her accusations, she ends up getting him transferred to another school, and had she not, she’d have been able to keep him under her watch.

by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2019 6:59 PM

What does that mean?

‘in the pursuit of truth, you step away from God.‘

by Anonymousreply 19March 28, 2019 7:01 PM

[quote]"In the pursuit of truth, you step away from God."

I love the play overall, but I've never understood that line. Sounds like the kind of line that SEEMS like it should have some deep, profound meaning but really doesn't make sense.

by Anonymousreply 20March 28, 2019 7:08 PM

In the relentless search for truth you end up doing unpalatable, and maybe sinful, things (like harassing children and their mothers, accusing innocents, invading people’s lives, etc. Not that esoteric.

Was the priest definitely guilty? I don’t remenber that.

by Anonymousreply 21March 28, 2019 7:15 PM

Meryl Streep played a old male Rabbi in Angels In America to a bronx accented Nun in DOUBT.

by Anonymousreply 22March 28, 2019 7:28 PM

[quote]In the relentless search for truth you end up doing unpalatable, and maybe sinful, things (like harassing children and their mothers, accusing innocents, invading people’s lives, etc. Not that esoteric.

You shouldn't need to "harass children and their mothers" in pursuing truth. You shouldn't need to "accuse" innocents -- asking questions is not the same as accusing someone, though of course there are more and less accusatory ways of asking questions. Etc.

At any rate, there's no reason why the pursuit of the ACTUAL TRUTH should require anyone to "step away from God." If you're trying to find a "truth" that's NOT factual, that is a totally different story. Also, there are good and bad methods of pursuing the truth. So if the line in the play were "In the pursuit of truth, people sometimes step away from God," I would buy it. But the line is "In the pursuit of truth, you step away from God," which means that one must NECESSARILY step away from God in pursuing the truth.

by Anonymousreply 23March 28, 2019 7:45 PM

Cherry Jones didn't work in the role -- insufficiently dried-up and shrewish as Streep was -- and thus threw the plot off.

by Anonymousreply 24March 28, 2019 7:48 PM

[quote] That one powerful scene is where Viola’s snot acting began. Unfortunately it has continued in every rolr she has since assayed making it ludicrous and fake in hindsight.

Oh, yeah.

In retrospect, I think all the praise she got was unjustified. She seems so laboured and overdone in that scene. Like she's black stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 25March 28, 2019 7:50 PM

My read on the ending is that she has doubts about everything: God, the Church, the priest's guilt, her life etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2019 8:18 PM

Were this to be revived - but, let’s be honest, why should it coming after our marvelous film - perhaps Glenn would excel in the piece. As the pedo priest.

by Anonymousreply 27March 28, 2019 8:28 PM

She has doubt about her decision to go after the priest, not because he was innocent, but because he became more powerful as a result of the investigation.

by Anonymousreply 28March 28, 2019 8:37 PM

[quote]She has doubt about her decision to go after the priest, not because he was innocent, but because he became more powerful as a result of the investigation.

And also maybe because she now realizes that she may have done more harm than good in terms of the boy whom the priest was supposedly molesting, which is why the boy's mother had begged her not to pursue it.

by Anonymousreply 29March 28, 2019 8:42 PM

I took “I have doubts” to apply to everything - the priest, the accusation, her faith, her calling.

Am I remembering correctly, but wasn’t it much more ambiguous in the play whether or not the priest was guilty? I felt in the movie it was far more obvious, in your face that yes, the priest did this. Any others who saw both the play and the movie have an opinion?

by Anonymousreply 30March 28, 2019 9:03 PM

[quote] Tony W.: I thought the whole point was that it was ambiguous, and the theme of the whole movie.

Exactly! We’re not supposed to know.

The actual line is: [italic] “In the pursuit of wrongdoing, one steps away from God...of course there is a price.” [/Italic] I have this clip saved on YouTube, as I like the message and how it’s delivered. The organ music, too.

I took “I have doubt” to mean her accusation against the Priest, who’s guilt or innocence is not clear to me, R14. It’s supposed to be unknown. Might she have accused an innocent man, through her own hubris?

Further, the movie was set right during or after Vatican II, which really shook-up the Church in the USA, if not everywhere. The Xmas movie playing in the last scene invokes the story of Christ’s birth, and over which she might have doubt. Imagine the certainty one must have to devote your life to a religious calling! A lot of religious people left the Church in the 1960s, including my cousin the nun who then married a former Priest.

Since it’s a movie and play, and not a really conversation, I think it’s intended to have a message, this one directed at all the uncertainty in life.

I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with people who can express with certainty something for which there was insufficient evidence for certainty. Like they have secret knowledge as a superpower. Now I know such people are either BSing, or foolish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 28, 2019 9:38 PM

^I meant: The Xmas music playing, not The Xmas movie playing

by Anonymousreply 32March 28, 2019 9:39 PM

Mother Teresa of Calcutta acknowledged that she occasionally had doubt. Attached, four Saints who had doubt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 28, 2019 9:51 PM

Recall how controlling and regimented Sr. Aloysius was. She had an opinion on ballpoint pens, even! I think that the idea of criticizing her superior, a Priest, of something so horrible, and to then be uncertain about it, that the Priest might have actually been doing good, makes her question everything she knows.

I also liked the Priest’s sermon on “Gossip”.

by Anonymousreply 34March 28, 2019 10:05 PM

Good grief. She had no doubt about whether Father Flynn had molested the boy. She knew he had. She had doubt as to whether or not she had done the right thing by getting Father Flynn reassigned. At least if he were still there, she could have been keeping an eye on him. And her doubt about whether she had done the right thing had in turn caused her to doubt her own judgment about things in general, and her certainty about things was the foundation of her approach to life. So she had begun to doubt her approach to life, which Shanley would say is good.....Her journey from certainty to doubt represented progress. Many of us who are sure of things need not to be quite as sure of them as we think we are.

by Anonymousreply 35March 28, 2019 10:12 PM

[quote] “In the pursuit of wrongdoing, one steps away from God...of course there is a price.”

I think this is just a rationalization. Consider that the lie she told, about calling a Nun at the Priest’s former Church, was a pretty small lie, but an effective one. It seemed to scare the Priest. But I think she’s created a generalization that just isn’t necessarily true.

Perhaps we are left in doubt as to her meaning.

by Anonymousreply 36March 28, 2019 10:13 PM

I like what r35 wrote, except that I think her doubt also includes whether or not she accused an honest and good man of something awful.

by Anonymousreply 37March 28, 2019 10:16 PM

Oh, also, the reaction from the boy’s mother may have caused her to question everything she knows.

by Anonymousreply 38March 28, 2019 10:18 PM

I worked on the crew of Doubt and found out that PSH had determined that Father Flynn was guilty of the previous molesting accusations but wasn’t guilty of anything with Donald. He was trying to help Donald as a way to “atone” for his sins. He told the script supervisor Dianne Dreyer who then told us on sets years later, after PSH had died.

by Anonymousreply 39March 28, 2019 11:57 PM

She is doubting the shitty accent she used for this role.

by Anonymousreply 40March 29, 2019 12:15 AM

R40, I liked her rough accent. It helps convey the image that she’s a tough ‘ol broad and regular person, not a saintly, passive nun.

by Anonymousreply 41March 29, 2019 1:03 AM

It’s interesting that Sr. Aloysis was widowed when her husband died at Anzio, in WWII Italy.

The Mother Superior in the movie ”Agnas of God” was also a widow.

by Anonymousreply 42March 29, 2019 1:10 AM

Queen Meryl's finger flick as she expressed her doubts is classic.The eye movements,head lean and hint of unsure terroritory in her voice.Streep is a superior actress barnone.

by Anonymousreply 43March 29, 2019 1:12 AM

It’s 1964 in the Bronx. Vatican II was 1962-1965.

Did you all know that prior to Vatican II, nuns kept their hair shaved. Hence the constant head covering.

by Anonymousreply 44March 29, 2019 4:01 AM

I am completely convinced by Merly’s accent. My parents kept some Brooklyn accent their whole lives so it sounds ok to me.

Do we have any Brooklyn or Bronx natives who can judge?

by Anonymousreply 45March 29, 2019 4:11 AM

She doubts it really was a dingo.

by Anonymousreply 46March 29, 2019 4:19 AM

Streep's accent is perfect and very necessary for the role and the film's mood. That's something that the film does quite well that couldn't be done onstage: it successfully manages to convey 1964 New York. It's integral. Is Sister Aloysius just a common dame who couldn't cut in the real world and took vows because of that? Are her concerns justified or is she just a relic in a changing world? The accent makes her seems tough and real, like a real nun, that the ones we usually get in film.

by Anonymousreply 47March 29, 2019 12:00 PM

[quote]PSH poorly cast; looks too much like a perv.

I saw the movie when it was in theaters and didn't notice back then. A few months ago, I watched it on Netflix and thought that he looked too pervy.

by Anonymousreply 48May 19, 2019 1:18 PM

I only just saw the movie about a month ago and find most of the criticism here based on personal feelings about Meryl et al. than on the actual film. Meryl was very good and for once I didn't see her use the same few acting tricks she always goes to in so many movies. Davis was fantastic; after literally years of being unimpressed by any film or performance, I was astonished that I could still be so impressed by an actor. I've seen in her in movies that post-date DOUBT and didn't once get the feeling that she was simply playing actorly tricks that she pulls out in every film.

Hoffman does look pervy, but I definitely felt that it was plausible he hadn't done anything to the boy, yet had been accused (and possibly guilty) of prior incidents. Interesting that was his take; he absolutely pulled it off.

Amy Adams wasn't bad but around that cast, she was going to look like an amateur.

by Anonymousreply 49May 19, 2019 1:29 PM

Good question! I stopped asking myself that when I knew it was deliberately ambiguous and unanswerable.

To me, she was doubting her life's choices and possibly her faith. She had a whole other life before becoming a nun. Isn't it mentioned her husband was killed in the war?

I agree that PSH played the role as a guilty man and he came across as broken in the final confrontation, which wasn't good for the movie.

All in all I loved Streep in this, I thought she was much better than Winslet who won for the lamentable The Reader. The other actors were OK. It may have been a more compelling adaption if they used a more experienced director.

by Anonymousreply 50May 19, 2019 1:34 PM

[quote]Hoffman does look pervy, but I definitely felt that it was plausible he hadn't done anything to the boy, yet had been accused (and possibly guilty) of prior incidents. Interesting that was his take; he absolutely pulled it off.

I thought the priest hadn't done anything to the boy, but was grooming him and would have started molesting him later on. I also wondered if the priest molested the boy that Amy Adams yelled at in the classroom.

by Anonymousreply 51May 19, 2019 1:59 PM

The acting in the scene with Streep and Seymour-Hoffman was outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 52May 19, 2019 2:03 PM

Guys are you forgetting that in the same scene, when asked, she says ".. His resignation was his confession.. He is what I thought he is.." I think that makes it clear she fully believes him guilty.

I agree she may doubt she did the right think getting him to leave as now she's let him go off and start over in some unsuspecting place. She said earlier she just wants him out of her school but maybe now she doubts if this was the wisest way. Maybe she sees she's become complicit by not protesting him moving up. Remember the bitterness in her voice when she laughs and says "it's a promotion".

I also think she doubts the morality of the church in transferring him continually and not even looking into her case. She says in the same scene that she spoke to the Monsignor about her concerns and he "was not interested".

Remember earlier in the film, when she berates Sister James for the ballpoint pens, she looks out the window and sees Fr. Flynn laughing with a church superior. A boys club she could never overcome. She's worldly enough to start doubting her entire vocation based on seeing its inherant corruption.

I doubt (haha) she is questioning her faith that much as she clearly feels, although justified, she has "Stepped away from God".

I thought Streep was brilliant at conveying a less than perfect woman who happened to be a nun and resented the church for its shortcomings and attempts to modernise when she wanted to keep the status quo.

Does anyone remember Streep saying that there was one line from the play that Shanley cut from the movie and that she refused to promote the movie unless it was kept in? She said it was the most important line for her character. Any guesses from those in the know?

by Anonymousreply 53May 19, 2019 2:13 PM

I love this movie - I wish there was a poll with this thread but I am guessing people would be split 50/50 on whether or not the priest was guilty.

by Anonymousreply 54May 19, 2019 2:18 PM

R54 I never got to see the play but I agree with those who found him pretty guilty based on the movie.

R39 that really explains a lot about PSH's choices, especially in the last scene where he crumbles under repeated accusations and pleads with Sister Alolysious.

People don't really appreciate how funny Streep was in this role. I lol'ed at the scene where she pulls out a framed picture of the Pope to Sister James and advises her to hang it over the chalkboard. Sister James points out "That's the wrong Pope, he's deceased." Meryl barks back "I don't care what Pope it is! Use tha' glass to look behind ya! The children should think you got eyes in the backa your head!"

by Anonymousreply 55May 19, 2019 2:27 PM

r35 has it. She doesn't doubt that the priest was guilty; she knew he was. And as a former Catholic schoolboy, I knew he was, too.

by Anonymousreply 56May 19, 2019 2:28 PM

That isn’t accurate, R44.

I entered the convent of the Dominican sisters’ Motherhouse In Amityville in 1959. As postulants we were required to wear our hair up, or cut to a length that could be covered by our shoulder length veil. As novices, we took the habit of professed sisters, with the exception of our veil being white. Frankly, most novices kept our hair cropped for comfort, though any reasonable length that could be contained in our coif was acceptable.

On profession of vows, our white veil was exchanged for black; as part of the ceremony, our coif was opened, a lock of hair was cut by Mother Prioress, before refastening the coif and placing a veil of professed sisters on the new admittance to the Order.

Most professed sisters kept our hair cropped quite short until post Vatican II, at which point the traditional coif was removed from the new, street length habit, and our veil was shortened to the shoulder. Only the most elderly sisters were permitted to retain the coif and long habit. Shaving of the head was always discouraged, being considered a form of worldly vanity.

by Anonymousreply 57May 19, 2019 2:28 PM

R57 holy shit! We have a nun on Datalounge! Welcome Sister!

by Anonymousreply 58May 19, 2019 2:32 PM

Thank you, R57. However, the Vatican granted a release from my vows in 1979.

by Anonymousreply 59May 19, 2019 2:40 PM

You're very welcome. What do you make of the DL?

by Anonymousreply 60May 19, 2019 2:41 PM

May I leave it at “I have doubts. I have such doubts!”, R60? :-)

As you might imagine, I am elderly myself now; so years of living in the lay world have equipped me to accept what is, perhaps, DL’s most common lesson - youth is often wasted on the young.

by Anonymousreply 61May 19, 2019 2:53 PM

I think her doubt was whether or not she’d win an Oscar for it.

by Anonymousreply 62May 19, 2019 3:02 PM

[quote]People don't really appreciate how funny Streep was in this role. I lol'ed at the scene where she pulls out a framed picture of the Pope to Sister James and advises her to hang it over the chalkboard. Sister James points out "That's the wrong Pope, he's deceased." Meryl barks back "I don't care what Pope it is! Use tha' glass to look behind ya! The children should think you got eyes in the backa your head!

I always laugh at that scene and the scene where Sister James uses the frame and the kids get freaked out.

by Anonymousreply 63May 19, 2019 3:49 PM

The classroom inspection scene. Loved Meryl bitching about the cough drops too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 19, 2019 4:08 PM

Thank you R64 that's exactly as I remember it!

by Anonymousreply 65May 19, 2019 9:36 PM

They should make a sequel to Doubt in which one of Flynn's victims is suing the church and he tracks down idiot Sister James who is alive at 103 to testify on his behalf. But, she still believes Flynn was innocent.

by Anonymousreply 66May 20, 2019 1:16 AM

[quote]Remember earlier in the film, when she berates Sister James for the ballpoint pens, she looks out the window and sees Fr. Flynn laughing with a church superior. A boys club she could never overcome. She's worldly enough to start doubting her entire vocation based on seeing its inherant corruption.

That part was true to life. Nuns never have that much power in the church and there are plenty of real life stories about some truly kind and innocent nuns being treated like total shit by priests who wielded the power. A couple of other scenes in the movie that drive that point is the scene where they show the nuns eating simple meals meanwhile, the priests were eating steak dinners.

by Anonymousreply 67May 20, 2019 3:46 AM

Please. The whole movie's crux is Sister Meryl being convinced that Father Philip partooketh of thee young chocolate, a huge no-no, which made her go all "J'accuse! J'accuse!" til he got the hell outta her henhouse pronto. At the end, the only thing she could possibly be doubting is if she was correct in that conviction. Yes, it is true that she could also be doubting when, if ever, she'll finally get to pop Sister Amy's vanilla cupcake tits into her hissing snarling mouth, good god, will it be before the credits roll, or during the credit roll, or maybe she'll have to wait to have at 'em in Doubt 2: Hot Titty Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 68May 20, 2019 5:40 AM

I took it to be about the central case, although obviously there's subtextual meanings as well. I think, on balance, she still overwhelmingly believes in the priest's guilt, however she still feels the same thoughts of doubt that are always going to exist in a case like this. There is no such thing as complete certainty in certain matters, and that is what sh is realizing.

by Anonymousreply 69May 20, 2019 6:12 AM

[quote]I love this movie - I wish there was a poll with this thread but I am guessing people would be split 50/50 on whether or not the priest was guilty

I don't think it would be split. It would more like 60/40 .

by Anonymousreply 70May 20, 2019 11:30 PM

It's not so important. A movie can leave you wondering or lost. But we're not. I understand clearly what Sister Aloysius means when she cries out that she has such Doubt. This is one of Streep's great performances and I'm not much a fan of hers. I like the movie too. It's completely engrossing. What more should a film be?

by Anonymousreply 71May 22, 2019 5:07 AM

[quote] The role would have been a nice bookend for Vanessa.....

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 72May 22, 2019 5:10 AM

They should have put Viola Davis in janitor's outfit instead that hideous dress.

by Anonymousreply 73May 22, 2019 12:43 PM

[quote]The role would have been a nice bookend for Vanessa....

Vanessa Chamberlain Lewis?

by Anonymousreply 74May 22, 2019 12:49 PM

So much snot from Viola. SO MUCH SNOT.

by Anonymousreply 75May 22, 2019 1:29 PM

I think they were clues all along through the movie that hints at the priest's guilt. If you watch the scenes that feature the blonde boy William and the boy Jimmy you get the vibe they were being molested by the priest and knew he was molesting Donald or planning to. The priest grabs Jimmy hands and comments about the cleanliness and he seemed disgusted at the priest's comments and grabbing his hands. The other boy Jimmy seemed to know that something was up with the priest and Donald and that happened before his outburst in the classroom. The priest in the meeting scene mentions wanting the priests and nuns to be seen as members of parish/school members' families. Predators sometimes try to get themselves seen as friendly and kind people, but it's just an act to get access to things and people.

by Anonymousreply 76May 22, 2019 10:55 PM

Both. Conviction that he was guilty and doubt that her religion chooses to ignore the truth.

by Anonymousreply 77May 22, 2019 11:07 PM

[quote]Were this to be revived - but, let’s be honest, why should it coming after our marvelous film - perhaps Glenn would excel in the piece. As the pedo priest.

Oh, be quiet Meryl. You protected that pig Harvey.

by Anonymousreply 78May 23, 2019 5:10 AM

I thought Any Adams did a good job of enjoying cotillion lessons

by Anonymousreply 79May 23, 2019 5:51 AM

[quote]r66 They should make a sequel to Doubt in which one of Flynn's victims is suing the church and he tracks down idiot Sister James who is alive at 103 to testify on his behalf. But, she still believes Flynn was innocent.

Amy Adams' character should be a bitter alcoholic who left the Church. Maybe with a borderline sleazy job - like being a chainsmoking bookkeeper for a strip club.

by Anonymousreply 80May 23, 2019 6:02 AM

G would have been just as good or better than M.

by Anonymousreply 81May 23, 2019 7:23 AM

Meryl actually won the SAG for this but Kate Winslet's "I'm so sad I don't have an Oscar!" campaign, led by you-know-who, was unstoppable that year.

Great performances from all 4 actors in this and I agree with the person who said this was the first time we saw Viola use her crying gimmick on us so it really did hit the spot and she was unforgettable, telling the nun she doesn't want to know if her gay son is being abused by the Priest, so long as he gets into a good school next year. Heartbreaking and truly shocking.

Obviously a thought-provoking. IMO underrated and intelligent movie.

by Anonymousreply 82May 23, 2019 9:03 AM

When the IMDB boards were around, there were different theories posted regarding Doubt. One poster had the theory that Flynn wasn't a pedophile, but a closeted gay man and he knew Donald was gay and was trying to protect him from others boys bullying him.

by Anonymousreply 83May 24, 2019 1:36 AM

yeah, that's what they all say - -

by Anonymousreply 84May 24, 2019 1:43 AM

There are better nun movies out there

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 24, 2019 1:46 AM

Too bad we didn't get a glimpse of Meryl's short nun hair cut.

by Anonymousreply 86May 24, 2019 1:49 AM

I agree with R53 - I think she is firm in her belief that he had inappropriate contact with children. At the end, I think she is doubting her belief in God or at least her religion. If God would allow a molester to be his representative on earth, what kind of God IS that, if he/she/it even exists at all? What kind of religion would allow this molester to transfer parishes father than driving him out of the organization completely?

by Anonymousreply 87May 24, 2019 1:50 AM

[quote]r85 There are better nun movies out there

Indeed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88May 24, 2019 1:51 AM

No one ever praises my nun movie.

by Anonymousreply 89May 24, 2019 1:51 AM

I interpreted it as she has doubt about whether she was right or the church itself. She had her certainty, and was probably right, but there was no proof so anyone would be plagued with guilt and doubt. I love the movie adaptation. All four actors nominated were great and people still watch and talk about the movie.

by Anonymousreply 90May 24, 2019 1:54 AM

[quote]r89 No one ever praises my nun movie.

Dolce & Gabbana made you a [italic]free[/italic] Oscars dress, Susie, and once again the world got to see your amazing tits.

What MORE do you want??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 24, 2019 2:49 AM

What is the significance of Father Flynn having long finger nails?

by Anonymousreply 92May 24, 2019 3:28 AM

R57. Would you feel comfortable telling us why you left the sisterhood? Did you leave the church entirely? You don’t have to answer of course. I’m just curious.

by Anonymousreply 93May 24, 2019 3:31 AM

I love the scene where Sister Aloysius hands Viola a tissue and barks, "Here, make it dance" Viola looks confused. Meryl then says, "Go on, put a little boogie in it."

by Anonymousreply 94May 24, 2019 3:47 AM

"Viola Davis steals the entire movie in that one scene. It was shocking and done to perfection."

But nowhere near as good as Adriane Lenox in the original stage production.

by Anonymousreply 95May 24, 2019 3:59 AM

"there are better nun movies out there"

Like mine!

by Anonymousreply 96May 24, 2019 4:02 AM

r6, I thought she had doubts about his quilt.

by Anonymousreply 97May 24, 2019 4:34 AM

R97 When did he make a quilt?

by Anonymousreply 98May 25, 2019 1:58 AM

Weinstein also forced The Reader into Best Picture contention at The Oscars in spite of its mediocre rating with critics. Doubt should have been nominated instead.

They should have won Best Ensemble at SAG awards instead of Slumdog Millionaire - how did that happen?! All of Doubt's cast were Oscar nominated!

by Anonymousreply 99May 25, 2019 8:16 AM

The hugging scene in the hallway was creepy.

by Anonymousreply 100May 25, 2019 11:51 PM

I'd like to see Sister Aloysius Beauvier and Catherine Tramell trapped in an evevator for a weekend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 26, 2019 12:19 AM

Did anyone else think that Sister James was in love with the priest?

by Anonymousreply 102May 26, 2019 12:22 AM

It's too bad we didn't' see Meryl's hideous nun hair cut in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 103May 29, 2019 3:34 AM

R93, before anything, I must apologize for my delay in answering your question.

The reasons I left the convent are complex. At the time, I was experiencing what I had interpreted as a crisis in belief. I am now of the mind that, rather than a loss, I was experiencing an awakening of faith, and that the Church has largely abandoned its Divine mission.

By choice, I am no longer in communication with my former order, the Church, or any organized religious community. Self excommunication, I have learned, is itself a step on a spiritual path; and though my questions are more probing, my faith is stronger than ever. I do, however, continue the traditions of simplicity, prayer and contemplation that I followed while in the convent.

I am far from alone in this. Many former sisters lead lives similar to mine, and we support one another in our spiritual endeavors.

by Anonymousreply 104June 19, 2019 4:38 AM

I'll have nun of that.

by Anonymousreply 105June 19, 2019 4:47 AM

[quote]Streep too mannered.

Which role do you mean, R1?

by Anonymousreply 106June 19, 2019 4:53 AM

The best scene was when Amy's character told her suspicions.

Starting @ 00:44

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 19, 2019 5:25 AM

Lol, R106! She is always imitating a human being (very well, generally) rather than truly inhabiting a character (in my opinion)....

by Anonymousreply 108June 19, 2019 10:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!