Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

HGTV - A Very Brady Renovation

The HGTV crew has been at this for several months now and judging from project video updates it's starting to take shape. But taking two steps back for a minute... is this place going to be spot on and an exacting replica of the Brady house or will it just be a shit show with major design compromises everywhere? They seem to have all hired hands on deck and have obviously thought this all out, but I'm not convinced the end result will be anything close to the original. I'm familiar with tear downs, gut renovations, demolition of an entire structure minus the facade and I don't see how this is all going to come together. If they pull it off they will all have done something far out and really groovy with this pad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 27, 2019 11:41 AM

HGTV wouldn't bother if they didn't think they could pull it off. What's really difficult is that on the inside the house wasn't real, so converting a TV show set into a real house that fits into the real exterior is the challenge

by Anonymousreply 1March 28, 2019 10:46 AM

Count me in as someone who will be watching.

by Anonymousreply 2March 28, 2019 11:58 AM

They had to compromise in some respects. Gregs attic room has to now be a basement because structurally the exterior would have to be altered from what we all know in order to build up.

by Anonymousreply 3March 28, 2019 12:25 PM

The height of the house seems to be too short to accommodate the high ceilings on the show. Even the 2nd floor ceilings on the set appear to be 9 to 10 ft high. I have a feeling we're gonna be disappointed but I'm still following the project. I think they're going to have to custom make those fish wall decorations in the kitchen.

I would love to know who designed those sets originally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 28, 2019 1:10 PM

I don't understand how the finished product can be anywhere near the original set - that is the key work - it was a set that was used for the interior shots and had no semblance to the outside. Unless they pull a "moon landing" on us and the finished interior is actually on a sound stage

by Anonymousreply 5March 28, 2019 1:11 PM

R5 back again - regardless - a fun project - very nostalgic. Who doesn't long for the days of "Poppy Orange" or "Harvest Gold" or "Avocado Green"? Related to set design I wrote the other day on the Bewitched thread that I always loved the Bewitched set - that was perfectly designed to match the homes exterior - but the Brady Bunch set - was always just a set. If you watch a lot of sitcoms you realize that many designs are basically the same as they work for being in front of an audience or camera movement - Everyone Loves Raymond was pretty much All in the Family's set design - Reba's set was pretty much Roseanne's set design. And none of them made any sense to the exterior shots. Interestingly - back in the day studios used the exact same sets for different shows - I can't think of specific examples but I remember Hazel's kitchen was used in other shows and there are others from the 1960's.

by Anonymousreply 6March 28, 2019 1:20 PM

Why is that sometimes the wood work and cabinetry on the Brady set seems to have a definite green tint and other times it reads a deep chocolate brown? I thought maybe they had re-stained the wood in a darker tone in later seasons but I see the color fluctuation exists in earlier episodes as well.

Maybe the film stock and color processing of the era has something to do with the inconsistency..

Green:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 28, 2019 1:21 PM

Now brown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 28, 2019 1:22 PM

Now back to green.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 28, 2019 1:22 PM

Do the Bradys have a sunken living room?

by Anonymousreply 10March 28, 2019 1:23 PM

My guess is a combination of lighting and film degradation. Yes, they had a sunken living room - very classy at the time as it was more expensive to construct - now the design shows seem to be leveling them out. Everything goes in cycles I guess. I am waiting for the washed out gray look to go away.

by Anonymousreply 11March 28, 2019 1:27 PM

[quote]Do the Bradys have a sunken living room?

The whole first floor is "sunken". '

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 28, 2019 1:30 PM

They step down from the front door and have to step up to go to the stairs and the master bedroom suite - so maybe not technically a sunken living room but stepping in from the front door it would give you the illusion of being sunken

by Anonymousreply 13March 28, 2019 1:37 PM

I can’t believe they got Eve Plumb to participate.

by Anonymousreply 14March 28, 2019 1:54 PM

Can they renovate Susan Olsen?

by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2019 2:07 PM

Here's a good article on the interior of the house .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2019 2:25 PM

I thought that the actual house didn't even have a second floor, and that they just put fake windows on the exterior to make it look like there were. How can they remedy that without radically changing the exterior?

by Anonymousreply 17March 28, 2019 2:46 PM

Robert Reed would have loved this.

by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2019 8:24 PM

Eve channeling Cheryl Ladd in 1982. Harry Langdon had the magic touch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2019 12:50 PM

Gosh, and to think R19, all she got out of that HS was a guest-starring role as a nun on The Facts of Life.

by Anonymousreply 20March 29, 2019 4:50 PM

R9 - the brown stain on the wood definitely had a green cast / undertone to it - which would have been in style at the time - and colors can indeed look different on film depending on how things are lit and color corrected - even the same stock could look very different from a different batch, or if it was processed in a different chemical bath.

by Anonymousreply 21March 29, 2019 6:14 PM

It will be interesting.

A mish mash of HGTV personalities involved - it depends on who's doing the "master design" - since most of their on air talent are not really designers or contractors they'd need help.

by Anonymousreply 22March 29, 2019 6:20 PM

Is it just me or is that Ford woman from Restored by the Fords one of the smarmiest, fake-ass, contrived personalities these design shows have ever foisted upon us? Hell, she even makes Paige Davis look sincere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 30, 2019 1:49 AM

The most important question (and the reason I’ll be watching): Will Maureen and Eve actually interact since they hate one another?

by Anonymousreply 24March 30, 2019 2:03 AM

[quote]Will Maureen and Eve actually interact since they hate one another?

I think the rancor is more on Eve's part---Maureen seems to want to patch things up.

I know Eve is probably somewhat misunderstood but she DOES seem like a real drag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 30, 2019 3:40 AM

Maureen is the drama queen. Eve just doesn't have time for her craziness.

by Anonymousreply 26March 30, 2019 4:03 AM

How much did they pay Eve Plumb? She looks like she's having fun, or maybe she really is a good actress. Anyway, this show looks like it's gonna be good and I love this thread!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 30, 2019 4:30 AM

[quote]Maureen is the drama queen. Eve just doesn't have time for her craziness.

I have a feeling Eve brings the drama----she's just stealth about it.

by Anonymousreply 28March 30, 2019 4:32 AM

Why is the drunk from The Office there?

by Anonymousreply 29March 30, 2019 4:32 AM

Is that the original front doors?

by Anonymousreply 30March 30, 2019 5:10 AM

I love how the acrimony between Maureen and Eve stems not just from Maureen's allegation that they lezzed it up, but also because she said that Eve used to fart all the time in the dressing room and when she and Susan complained about it, Eve responded, 'Get over it!'

by Anonymousreply 31March 30, 2019 11:08 AM

Did Eve play softball?

by Anonymousreply 32March 30, 2019 1:40 PM

Apparently every Brady fucked all the others.

Nothing anyone wanted to see, think about or hear about!

by Anonymousreply 33March 30, 2019 2:07 PM

I smell bread puddin'.

by Anonymousreply 34March 30, 2019 2:28 PM

No way you can smell that from the hallway.

by Anonymousreply 35March 30, 2019 2:29 PM

Given that she didn't like to be associated with the show in the past (didn't do reunions, etc.), I'm surprised that Eve saved all that memorabilia.

by Anonymousreply 36March 30, 2019 3:47 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the producers staged all of Eve's memorabilia. Except maybe for Ann B. Davis' gift.

by Anonymousreply 37March 30, 2019 7:05 PM

Can't wait for this. When does it start airing?

I'm glad Eve got the stick removed from her ass. She should've joined the convention bandwagon a long time ago. She could've made a the bundle she didn't get from syndication.

by Anonymousreply 38March 30, 2019 8:54 PM

[quote]Robert Reed would have loved this.

Robert Reed would have boinked the guy who wrote it.

by Anonymousreply 39March 30, 2019 10:03 PM

Eve was railed for not returning for the first revival - the notoriously awful variety shows. She seemed to be the only one to see how dumb that was. She came back for all the others.

Barry and Maureen are the two that make the other four roll their eyes the most.

by Anonymousreply 40March 30, 2019 10:09 PM

I'm so excited about this! I have to tell my antiques dealer friends and family to see if they have anything that they're looking for! I'm in the mood for this upbeat, fun stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 30, 2019 10:50 PM

I wish we could see just ONE last Brady movie but this time with all the original kids, even though it would be very sad to not have Florence , Robert and Ann B.

It would take a brilliant script to make it all work though. Kind of a cross between National Lampoon's Vacation, The Goonies & The 1995 Brady film. Maybe a road trip/adventure comedy with just enough nostalgia and heart to ground it a little and perhaps peppered with a few naughty words and double entendres for some bite. But never the kind of scatological grossness a lot of current "comedies" seem to revel in. I think it could be really fun.

by Anonymousreply 42March 31, 2019 1:21 AM

But I mean really R40 between the DUI's, public revelations of homophobia, wacked alt-right politics, and reality shows, what grounds exactly do the other four have for rolling their eyes at anyone. They all have the dignity of a pack of feral racoons.

by Anonymousreply 43March 31, 2019 11:00 AM

R43 Barry and Maureen are the drama queens. Susan has whacked out politics but she's a pretty easy going chick.

by Anonymousreply 44March 31, 2019 3:07 PM

Can we talk about Susan Olsen's kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 45April 1, 2019 3:05 AM

Why did Susan Olsen share photos of her kitchen? Unbelievable. The veil has been lifted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 1, 2019 3:08 AM

R46 Alice is turning over in her grave.

by Anonymousreply 47April 1, 2019 3:16 AM

Love that Susan has a Mrs. Elrod cutting board in her kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 48April 1, 2019 3:51 AM

Susan eats pussy.

by Anonymousreply 49April 1, 2019 4:03 AM

I'm in love with the thought of a very Brady reunion movie. It could center around a reunion that was planned well in advance at a picturesque state or national park or maybe some sort of time share purgatory place.

by Anonymousreply 50April 1, 2019 4:11 AM

Assemble the Brady Bunch movie cast to do the Brady Brides and a Very Brady Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 51April 1, 2019 4:01 PM

And The Bradys. I would love to see Christine Taylor play drunk Marcia.

by Anonymousreply 52April 2, 2019 1:33 AM

Ty Burrell could do a fantastsic Mike Brady.

by Anonymousreply 53April 2, 2019 2:45 AM

Alice - Judy Gold

by Anonymousreply 54April 2, 2019 2:47 AM

Ellen Degeneres as Alice.

by Anonymousreply 55April 2, 2019 3:26 AM

The movie roles were already cast, use all of them.

by Anonymousreply 56April 2, 2019 9:36 PM

Eve Plumb needs to take the checks for reunions and approach it as an acting role. Just pretend you’re playing a former child actress who embraces her fandom and enjoys sharing the memories, instead of being a bitter twat waffle.

by Anonymousreply 57April 2, 2019 9:39 PM

I'm not bitter!

by Anonymousreply 58April 3, 2019 2:19 PM

R58 Sure, Eve

by Anonymousreply 59April 3, 2019 6:19 PM

When does this air?

by Anonymousreply 60April 7, 2019 6:39 PM

Hard to reconciles those two faces of Eve.

by Anonymousreply 61April 7, 2019 7:37 PM

Did Maureen ever say “Sure, Jan” on the show or is that an invention of the movies?

by Anonymousreply 62April 7, 2019 8:42 PM

It's finished...

What was the point of this agian?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 26, 2019 6:56 PM

Also, why do Bobby and Cindy look a decade older than Greg and Marcia?

by Anonymousreply 64May 26, 2019 6:56 PM

When does this air?

Not until September.

by Anonymousreply 65May 26, 2019 7:25 PM

I wish Eve would do a show like Carrie Fishers

by Anonymousreply 66May 26, 2019 7:58 PM

Die on a plane?!

by Anonymousreply 67May 26, 2019 8:48 PM

Her stage show where she talks about her life and career

by Anonymousreply 68May 27, 2019 3:31 AM

I'm Not Bitter, Dammit! An EVEning with Eve Plumb

by Anonymousreply 69May 27, 2019 11:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!