Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Grey Hair

I just all of a sudden have ALL of my hair growing in grey. Has anyone successfully had it return to semi normal after a stressful event? I may be doomed to coloring it for life.

by Anonymousreply 79April 2, 2019 2:44 AM

It will not return. Start using that shampoo in color now.

by Anonymousreply 1March 27, 2019 3:29 AM

Age is a bitch--embrace him!

by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2019 3:29 AM

[quote] Has anyone successfully had it return to semi normal after a stressful event?

I have.

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2019 3:45 AM

I started going grey in my 20's. I tried to cover it for a decade or so but if you keep it up eventually eventually you're that guy who looks like he has shoe polish in his hair. In my forties every hair on my face except my eyebrows and most of what comprises a goatee went stark white. I almost wish the hair on my head would do the same. The drab steel gray it has become is as blah as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2019 3:59 AM

Grey looks great on some men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2019 4:14 AM

Grecian formula!

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2019 4:21 AM

[quote] I tried to cover it for a decade or so but if you keep it up eventually eventually you're that guy who looks like he has shoe polish in his hair.

Only if you're using cheap, drug store stuff and doing it yourself.

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2019 4:22 AM

My partner looks better with some greys now, its like cool highlights.

I'm just staring to get a few (barely noticeable) on the sides, I won't mind getting it in my 30s.

I'm far more concerned about the future of the skin under my eyes. I'm increasingly convinced that by 50 (I'm nearing 30), I'll have to do some sort of minor to moderate cosmetic procedures. Its perfectly fine for now, but I already feel the skin getting too thin and It'll look horrible later on. I remember my grandmother having a similar trait, where as she got too old and sick, she looked liked a zombie under her eyes. I obviously won't be that bad for at least several decades, but my point is that its a trait that'll most show my age. For my hair? So far its a few greys and arguably a bit of receding hairline. Honestly on freshened days/fashion, I look mid-20s.

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2019 4:23 AM

The grave can't be far off. Can I have your stuff, OP?

by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2019 4:23 AM

I started getting grey in my late 30's. By my 50's it was Phil Donahue grey. I have embraced it. My father was fully grey in his 50's. Embrace it. Men who color their hair look weird,. If you ask me. At least I have a full head of Irish men's hair. I'd rather this than bald(ing).

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2019 4:28 AM

All the Irish men I know have male pattern baldness and you must be fucking ancient to be referencing Phil Donahue.

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2019 4:58 AM

Don't think it'll go back, OP. I started going grey, well white, in my teens. By 30s over 50%. Dying needs to be done every 2-3 weeks. Most people I know have it now in their 30s-40s, however, I also know people who don't have any. It's more genetic than anything else. Better than being bald.

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2019 5:02 AM

[quote]I tried to cover it for a decade or so but if you keep it up eventually eventually you're that guy who looks like he has shoe polish in his hair.

Not if you are a blonde of Northern European ancestry and don't try to cover all the grey (white) hair.

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2019 5:05 AM

We had a 62-yr old coworker whose hair was completely white. It was thick and beautiful. He combed in low pompadour and swept the side back into a small duck tail. So many men were jealous of this man. His hair looked a bit like Sean Connery's in Hunt for Red October. We had 20-somethings with receding hairlines. He walked like a king among them.

I never knew straight men were so vain!

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2019 5:05 AM

Some men look good with gray hair, yes, but usually only if they are already good looking and on the younger side, going gray early. White I have always found to be nasty and makes one look so old. I would rather be bald (or have a bald guy)

by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2019 5:12 AM

Just For Men Control GX

Covers the gray gradually. You have to use it often (every day or every other day for a couple of weeks) to achieve the look you want, but it works. It is a shampoo-in product. It's quite good. There is one product for darker hair and one for blond hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2019 5:14 AM

R15 is absolutely right! Many people say, "Oh, some men look good with gray hair." I reply saying, "Yes, some men. I'm not one of them."

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2019 5:16 AM

R15. Except I don't want to be bald. I'll take the gray hair and use Just For Men Control GX.

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2019 5:18 AM

I love my partner’s gray hair.

by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2019 5:18 AM

OP, was there a stressful event that you think made your hair go gray all at once?

You hear anecdotes about people’s hair going white overnight from grief but I always assumed that was an old wives’ tale.

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2019 5:21 AM

OP and R20, could be worse, a friend of mine (we're in our 20's) was going through a really stressful month... he literally had half his hair fall out over the course of a week. He'd wake up and find his hair all over his pillows. It was a few years ago and it hasn't grown back.

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2019 5:28 AM

My friend's sister is in her 40s and let herself go all white, not a good look for someone that young. Very few people can pull it off at that age. Even older it has to be a certain shade and facial type for it to look good. Dying is annoying, but going gray/white will age you or other people's perception of you.

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2019 5:29 AM

[[R15]] You are right to a point. Hair is beautiful if it goes with the face and color. My co-worker had that. But he was the gray hair equivalent 24-year old Kate Middleton hair. Sometimes beautiful hair, cut and styled correctly stands on it own. Really!

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2019 5:30 AM

Gray / White hair only looks good to me on really thick hair.

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2019 5:32 AM

OP here, yes I have recently gone through a very stressful time and my hair is falling out and turned about 50% grey over the past 6 months or so. I am definitely going to try GX.

by Anonymousreply 25March 28, 2019 1:03 PM

Wait'll your ovaries shrivel up.

by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2019 1:26 PM

After a certain age men should not color their hair. It looks ridiculous. Women can get away with it for longer.

by Anonymousreply 27March 28, 2019 1:27 PM

I like that Paul Manafort looks totally ridiculous with his maroon shoe polish hair color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 28, 2019 1:40 PM

Is Paul McCartney still coloring? It was OK for a while, but at 65, 66, 67 it becomes uncomfortable to look at.

by Anonymousreply 29March 28, 2019 1:52 PM

[QUOTE] He combed in low pompadour and swept the side back into a small duck tail.

That is the most unsexy thing I've heard in a while.

I can assure you no one was jealous of that.

by Anonymousreply 30March 28, 2019 1:55 PM

My hair grows in Grey, one hair at a time. Sometimes it looks blond but I know tomorrow it will be Grey again.

by Anonymousreply 31March 28, 2019 2:06 PM

My hair is 'pewter'. It's not a bad look. Just let it happen: don't fight it. If you have grey hair, at least you still have your hair.

by Anonymousreply 32March 28, 2019 2:12 PM

[quote]OP, was there a stressful event that you think made your hair go gray all at once?

It turned white after I saw a ghost.

by Anonymousreply 33March 28, 2019 2:14 PM

Is it also normal for grey hair to be itchy when its growing in?

by Anonymousreply 34March 28, 2019 2:14 PM

Consider taking something that promotes catalase. It declines as we age, which causes a buildup of hydrogen peroxide.

by Anonymousreply 35March 28, 2019 2:14 PM

R34 sometime it can be coarser and straighter..maybe that's why?

My hair turned a really cool shade of silver. The black ladies lurve it!!

by Anonymousreply 36March 28, 2019 2:23 PM

Oh for heaven's sake, OP, forget it. So you're going gray. And?

by Anonymousreply 37March 28, 2019 2:27 PM

Dress doesn’t cause your hair to go grey. That’s a myth, OP. It’s genetic. You’re stuck.

by Anonymousreply 38March 28, 2019 2:29 PM

R38 you are truly stupid. Do some research before you post your nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 39March 29, 2019 12:47 AM

An alternative to coloring my (about 10%) gray hair with chemicals (and the potential for it to look unnatural), I use an onion juice mask 1-2 times a week. It stains the gray a light brown color, which is slightly lighter than my natural color. You can also use cassia, an herb that will turn gray a light to dark blond color (depending on how you prepare it).

by Anonymousreply 40March 29, 2019 1:54 AM

My hair turned white overnight when I was 9 and the others kids started to call me "Snowball".

by Anonymousreply 41March 29, 2019 1:58 AM

Black Strap Molasses and Royal Jelly turn it back for some people. You don't have to take them both or together.

by Anonymousreply 42March 29, 2019 2:05 AM

[quote]Only if you're using cheap, drug store stuff and doing it yourself.

And if your hair is only an inch or two long you're at the salon getting your roots done twice a month to keep them from showing - and after 45 or so you still look like "that guy" who dyes his hair, even with a pro dye job (unless you were a natural blond).

by Anonymousreply 43March 29, 2019 2:37 AM

Not true, R43. Not true at all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 29, 2019 2:43 AM

OP - what is your natural colour? If it's light brown or blond, you could always go a few shades lighter. It blends the grey (Really they're white) strands well, and the outgrowth (darker roots) doesn't look as weird as light roots-darker hair.

by Anonymousreply 45March 29, 2019 2:57 AM

It's dark brown unfortunately. I'm black Irish and don't look good as a blonde.

by Anonymousreply 46March 29, 2019 3:51 AM

(22) I had a great head of dark curly/ wavy hair, thick and lustrous. After too many years of expensive professional dye jobs, I decided to go grey. This was after assuring that what was coming in was white as snow. If you have a youthful and relatively unlined face this really works. An excellent haircut helps also. Go for it. I had a haircut yesterday and the entire head of hair is now white with a few greys here and there. I get compliments all the time. Try something new, and it is free!

by Anonymousreply 47March 29, 2019 4:07 AM

Wait till you go bald

by Anonymousreply 48March 29, 2019 4:09 AM

I feel like grey hair is thick, coarse, and possibly hollow.

by Anonymousreply 49March 29, 2019 4:10 AM

(48) I'm an adorable frau!

by Anonymousreply 50March 29, 2019 4:18 AM

[quote] you are truly stupid. Do some research before you post your nonsense.

You were saying?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 29, 2019 12:31 PM

Per Wiki:

"The order in which graying happens is usually: nose hair, hair on the head, beard, body hair, eyebrows.[19]"

by Anonymousreply 52March 29, 2019 12:44 PM

I got grey first in my body hair. Go figure. I have a few on my head but nothing obvious. Don’t know about nose or beard.

by Anonymousreply 53March 29, 2019 1:11 PM

I know my hair looks dyed. I think I look worse with grey hair than dyed hair, but I know I ain’t fooling no one.

by Anonymousreply 54March 29, 2019 2:00 PM

Yeah, R51... I was saying.

Your article literally says that stress can speed up the process of graying.

Nice try though.

by Anonymousreply 55March 29, 2019 3:30 PM

I haven't read most of the posts on this thread, but as a woman I have to say that I have to dye it! When I got my first grey hair on my head in high school, my mother said to me, 'Oh grey hair looks so beautiful on a young face'. 'LIAR!' I shrieked at her while overturning the griddle she was using to make flapjacks. I've been dying it ever since. With that said, after my divorce when I left my ex-husband after he divorced me and married another woman. I decided to let my hair go grey. Between the divorce preceedings and my Chrome's disease (not diagnosed and turned out to be undiagnosed diverticulaitis) and work trouble (don't go there!!!) I decided to go natural, I stopped dying my hair, shaving everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE! And I have to say I have never felt more liberated in my life. I recently left my apartment for the first time in a year (therapy via SKYP!!!) and went to the salon to get my hair trimmed and the lady at supercuts told me that not only should I cut my waste length hair but also dye it a 'prettier' color. 'How DARE You!' I shrieked at her, knocking over the bottles on her shelf as well as her hairstyling diploma stuck to the mirror before storming out. I am so proud of myself for doing that, something I wouldn't have been able to do before. So short story long (LOL!) let it go grey!

by Anonymousreply 56March 29, 2019 4:28 PM

^ I have no words for this!

by Anonymousreply 57March 29, 2019 4:49 PM

OP, leave your hair alone. Silver hair is hot, hot, hot.

The alternative is a lifetime of looking like Paul Manafort.

by Anonymousreply 58March 29, 2019 5:00 PM

[quote]I feel like grey hair is thick, coarse, and possibly hollow.

Oddly, mine is the opposite. My hair was originally very tightly curled, extremely coarse and thick. The gray is is fine, brittle and loosely curled or wavy. My grey is also not an attractive color. I've gone from ash brown to ash. One thing has not changed. My hair soaks up product like a sponge: pomade, gel, spray - you name it, they all disappear. I might as well have just washed and combed it. By the end of the day it's a frizzy untamed mess.

by Anonymousreply 59March 30, 2019 1:59 AM

R56 Is that you, Dawn Davenport?

by Anonymousreply 60March 30, 2019 2:07 AM

[quote]Your article literally says that stress can speed up the process of graying.

It says that there’s no concrete evidence that stress causes gray hair. The end.

by Anonymousreply 61March 30, 2019 2:11 AM

No, it says:

In short, scientists are beginning to gather clues that stress can hasten the graying process, but there is no scientific evidence demonstrating a cause-and-effect relationship.

So stress CAN cause you to start graying earlier, but there's no evidence that it will cause you to immediately go gray.

Which actually goes against what you said here:

[quote]Dress doesn’t cause your hair to go grey. That’s a myth, OP. It’s genetic. You’re stuck.

The end.

by Anonymousreply 62March 30, 2019 2:21 AM

Girls, girls... you're both cunts!

by Anonymousreply 63March 30, 2019 3:31 AM

I went an intermediate colour before I was completely gray. It was, technically, taupe and it looked fake but it wasn't. In some lights it looked as though my medium brown hair turned blond, and other times it looked like I'd put in a beige rinse. I'm not the sort who'd bother colouring his hair so this was galling. Looks better now that it has settled on gray

by Anonymousreply 64March 30, 2019 3:39 AM

Natural sage rinse for grey hair. This works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 30, 2019 4:06 AM

I started googling R52 suggestions. It's worth a shot.

by Anonymousreply 66March 30, 2019 4:38 AM

Sunburn on the scalp renews

by Anonymousreply 67March 30, 2019 4:43 AM

Regatta race. Sunscreen 50 SPF but not on scalp. Center part exposed. Later hit hair w/brush & screamed holy murder.about 5 days later, went from burn to tan. Those follicles were shocked into defending themselves by producing melanin. So as the parted hair grew in it, at first blondish but when it tanned it resumes to light brown natural color. So freakish to have that hair at ends natural color then you can see where melanin cell started dieing as reddish in color, eventually becoming grey then the roots returning. Now just expose greying scalp area with partings & let Sun do work. Problem solved. Try it.

by Anonymousreply 68March 30, 2019 5:11 AM

Use that purple shampoo - at least it makes gray hair brighter.

Don’t say gray, say “silver“!

by Anonymousreply 69March 30, 2019 5:28 AM

My black loosely colored hair started to go white when I was in my 20s - genetic. At one point it was just growing in one area, making me look like Mrs. Munster. It spread to other areas, always in patches. I color it medium ash brown with golden highlights. Need to touch up roots every two weeks. Highlights every six weeks.

It is so expensive, I have learned to do every other salon treatment myself. But, I can't get the color right on my own - there's patches on the back of my head now and I can't do the highlights.

by Anonymousreply 70March 30, 2019 6:11 AM

Hair color AND highlights? It must be very expensive to be that vain.

by Anonymousreply 71March 30, 2019 12:30 PM

My grey is only on the center part. If I part on the side there is no grey.

by Anonymousreply 72March 30, 2019 3:40 PM

As the DL meme goes I always looked younger than my age until my hair begin to turn grey in my 40's. I tried coloring it using "Just for Men" but after a year it seemed to be getting thinner. It may have been natural aging but I thought the hair coloring was speeding it up. I keep it cut short because long wispy hair seems to look worse. The only upshot is I occasionally get senior citizen discounts without asking.

by Anonymousreply 73March 30, 2019 4:54 PM

salt and pepper hair looks great on some guys..........but its usually the ones that would look great even with no hair...........in other words killer face and killer body.

by Anonymousreply 74March 30, 2019 7:07 PM

Salt and Peppa's here

by Anonymousreply 75April 1, 2019 1:26 AM

OP, grey hair does not reverse itself. Sorry. Try a grey reducing shampoo or get it professionally colored.

by Anonymousreply 76April 1, 2019 1:36 AM

OP, you must talk to Robert about naturally colored hair after 50:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 1, 2019 1:37 AM

I started going grey in my teens, one by one. A lot more in my early 20's, was very self conscious about it. I colored it. Looking at pictures it looked like shoe polish. It's gotta be 15 years or more that I stopped coloring it, and I'm all grey/white at 47. Zero fucks. I get compliments all the time. I realize it's the first thing people look at, as I do have a good looking young unlined face. I still have a great thick head of hair. Funny I'd grow a beard when I was young to look older because of my baby face. OP, be comfortable in your own skin is my advice. It may work out well for you. Colored hair on a man gives off a self conscious vibe, not a manly in-charge vibe.

by Anonymousreply 78April 1, 2019 1:47 AM

I've heard doctors say that sometimes it's caused by vitamin deficiencies, especially when occurring quickly (a period of months or a year or two and in a substantial amount not just a random few gray hairs). In these cases, sometimes even the eyelashes lose pigment. Need a full blood workup to check which if any vitamins might be deficient. Sometimes it's the B vitamins and iron, sometimes it's others. IF that's the cause, once corrected, the next new growth can return to the natural-colored state.

by Anonymousreply 79April 2, 2019 2:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!