Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mayor Pete: Chick-fil-A and I could broker a LGBT peace deal

South Bend., Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg (D) said Tuesday that he could one day be in a position to broker a "peace deal" between the Chick-fil-A fast food chain and the LGBTQ community.

"I do not approve of their politics, but I kind of approve of their chicken," Buttigieg quipped, drawing laughter on "The Breakfast Club," the hip-hop morning show on New York's Power 105.1.

"Maybe if nothing else, I can build that bridge. Maybe I’ll become in a position to broker that peace deal," he added.

Buttigieg, who is openly gay, has formed an exploratory committee but has not officially declared his candidacy for the White House in 2020. His comments came as he elaborated on ways people from different backgrounds can come together.

"We’ve got to find a way to use our identities to reach other people," Buttigieg said. "…What can we talk about that brings us together? Because I have no clue what it’s like to walk in the shoes of so many other people. But I can talk about some of the pieces of what I carry with me, and see if it rhymes with their life experience."

“Good art has that, good music has that, good literature has that," he continued.

"Good chicken sandwiches," Charlamagne Tha God chimed in, before Buttigieg noted that good politics "ought to have that quality too."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 24, 2019 2:30 AM

Eugh, his mind. He speaks so much sense, I get a bit hypnotized just reading the words.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2019 8:11 PM

Not surprising that someone who wants to kiss homophobic Chick fil A' ass is the same guy who supports the transing of gay kids. No self-respect.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2019 8:31 PM

I still don’t want to eat that shit.

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2019 8:42 PM

He came up with a diplomatic, witty comment instead of being full-out hostile. He's got a good head on his shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2019 8:52 PM

Agree R4. People should learn a lesson from this.

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2019 9:52 PM

Keep an eye on this guy. I like him. I think he has legs. I have no use for the other 59 Democratic candidates.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2019 11:32 PM

I’m done with this guy. Pro-military, pro-Israel, pro-nationalism, and now this Uncle Tom garbage. Fuck off Mayor Pete. We can do a lot better than this sniveling little bootlicker.

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2019 10:37 PM

He's a gay man who got elected mayor of a small city.

He was not elected as the spokesman for all gay people and does not speak for all of us.

There is no peace to be brokered because we are not obligated to follow him on this matter, even if he were elected president.

by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2019 10:41 PM

Should we all be surprised? He is a centrist. One propped by the establishment. The fact that people are pushing him on this site let’s me know there are sometime with an agenda

by Anonymousreply 9April 22, 2019 10:44 PM

So, Mayor Pete thinks he is for the gays what Al Sharpton thinks he is for African Americans.

by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2019 10:45 PM

Talk about pandering to black listeners of the show. Chik file A???

by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2019 10:48 PM

R7 is a troll. “Pro-military”? Yes, he served in the military. So have a lot of other people who ran for President. For decades you could not run unless you were in the military. FDR, JFK, Nixon, Ford, Bush 1&2. Clinton is the first one that didn’t and he had a very hard time. Obama was born at a time between wars and no draft, and he was still attacked for not serving. The fact that someone served in the military is not disqualifying for the vast majority of Americans. That’s just not realistic.

Pro-Israel? Name a candidate that isn’t. It’s news to me.

“Uncle Tom garbage”? Hi Boris.

by Anonymousreply 12April 22, 2019 10:50 PM

[quote] I have no use for the other 59 Democratic candidates.

59 candidates and you can only find one that you like? Yeah, you sound like a reasonable voter.

by Anonymousreply 13April 22, 2019 10:57 PM

Peace with a chicken restaurant that donates money to right wing non-profits?

✌ He's Churchill, this man. ✌

by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2019 10:59 PM

R12, you live in a mighty deep bubble if you think I’m Boris.

by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2019 11:05 PM

R12, read up buddy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2019 11:08 PM

R14 more like Neville Chamberlain!

by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2019 11:12 PM

Well, liking shit fast food explains him and the hubby's sagging titties.

by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2019 11:13 PM

[quote]“Pro-military”? Yes, he served in the military. So have a lot of other people who ran for President. For decades you could not run unless you were in the military. FDR, JFK, Nixon, Ford, Bush 1&2. Clinton is the first one that didn’t and he had a very hard time. Obama was born at a time between wars and no draft, and he was still attacked for not serving. The fact that someone served in the military is not disqualifying for the vast majority of Americans. That’s just not realistic.

How old [italic]are[/italic] you? You’re ridiculously out of touch. Also, serving in the military is not “pro-military” in and of itself, so you’re pretty dumb to conflate the two.

by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2019 11:15 PM

R2 what is the “transing of kids”? Like staring them on hormones young enough to block this puberty?

Isn’t it true those hormones are dangerous and we don’t know all of the long term effects? I heard that many different types of cancer were common among older men that had taken a lot of estrogen. How prevalent is this? Are many of these children going to get sick in their late 40s-65 or so from some type of cancer?

I’ve always wanted to ask someone if all that’s true.

by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2019 11:16 PM

From the link at R16:

A senior foreign policy adviser for Buttigieg told me that “Pete doesn’t see the Israel-Palestinian issue as a zero-sum game” and while he doesn’t support the politics of far-right Israli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, he still supports Israel and views it as an ally and democratic state.

by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2019 11:16 PM

Seems like a no-brainer to say you'll stop the American taxpayer dollars flowing to Israel, but I guess not. Why is he so cosy with Israel, anyway? What have the Israelis ever done for him?

by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2019 11:16 PM

Why wouldn’t someone be “pro-military”? Even if you don’t like the things they do —they have to do what is handed down to them. Sounds like you don’t like the foreign policy that shapes their job countinuously.

I hate those people that go on and on about how much they love the military because it seems false. Like they think they will get points for patriotism. I just think a healthy respect is warranted. If we were invaded ever and you lived near the front line you’d want them to protect you and your home? You’re a citizen and that is their job... Seem odd these people that hate the military do.

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2019 11:21 PM

Have you somehow not noticed that every President of both parties has supported Israel ever since there was an Israel? Israel wouldn’t exist without our money. Suddenly yanking the money away from them would lose Jewish votes and make that person unelectable.

Trump would get the Jewish voters. Trump is already hyper-pushing Israel and Netanyahu as it is. You think he’s doing that because it’s going to hurt him? Trump has no ethics, so he’s happy to do whatever will help him even if it’s immoral. He doesn’t care.

Any Democrat is going to be pushing a boulder uphill compared to Trump moving the embassy and supporting one horrible Israeli government action after another. One President after another has refused to support those things and Trump did it.

The next President is going to have a horrible time unraveling his mess and Netanyahu has his own investigation into corruption, which he will probably get away with. So we may continue to be stuck with him. You know he’s going to endorse Trump enthusiastically and tell people to vote for him. Probably blatantly campaign for him.

Where is the Democratic candidate supposed to get enough votes to replace the Jewish votes? Bye bye Florida.

by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2019 11:26 PM

We’ve been in a state of constant war for 30 fucking years. You’d better bet a lot of us aren’t “pro-military,” and we’re getting a little sick of the knee-jerk nationalists that still are.

Who the hell are these pro-military people? Muriel, check their IP addresses please. This is extremely weird on a gay and liberal website.

by Anonymousreply 25April 22, 2019 11:26 PM

If you think any Presidential candidate of any party is going to get anywhere saying they hate the military you’ve lost your mind. Are you even American? Ever lived here?

by Anonymousreply 26April 22, 2019 11:28 PM

Where did anyone say they needed to “hate the military.”

Some of you sound psychotic.

by Anonymousreply 27April 22, 2019 11:32 PM

R27, why do you hate freedom so much? Why don’t you move to Cuba with the other commies?

by Anonymousreply 28April 22, 2019 11:49 PM

It’s the War Profiteers and the infamous Chicken Hawks that start the wars that people are against! I’ve never met anyone against the poor man on the front line.

by Anonymousreply 29April 23, 2019 12:00 AM

I understand if you’re disappointed and angry about how things have been going for so long. I am too.

When it comes to our place in the world we all have a different take. I just think that you could be underestimating some of our foes. A relaxed and semi-cautious Pentegon is just not going to happen. It’s unresonable to think that. They are Parinoid. I personally think all you need to do is wait for things to cool down since we can’t last as the “sole superpower” forever. I’m not one of those who think the West is in a rapid decline. I just think it’s natural. Time and change. I not a Nationalist either. I just love this country because my family, me and friends I know have been afforded a lot here.

I think we will become involved in WWIII (I’d bet Saudi Arabia and Co. vs. Iran and Comrades will be a big part of our scale back since we have no business in that one. You’re not wrong about us overstepping ourselves but if something goes down —we’re gonna need those people.

by Anonymousreply 30April 23, 2019 12:03 AM

None of our foreign policy is simple or easily changed. We have treaties around the world you just can’t tear up. Trump breaks the law every chance he can, but people that like that vote for Trump. Democrats don’t like throwing away every alliance and obligation we have at a whim.

The only time NATO ever acted to help one of he countries involved in NATO was 9/11, and they helped us.

You can’t assume a future military engagement won’t be to defend ourselves. It’s impossible to predict.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 23, 2019 12:12 AM

TG Pete is the top. After eating Chik-fil-A, I wouldn't go near a dick.

by Anonymousreply 32April 23, 2019 12:23 AM

The worship of this guy here and among gays online is sickening. He's as bad as Biden or Beto, if not worse. The only difference is he's gay.

Chick Fil A suports conversion therapy, which we know leads directly to suicide. Any LGBT person giving them a pass is to be avoided. They contribute to the marginalizing of our community; they are traitors, nothing less.

by Anonymousreply 33April 23, 2019 12:40 AM

R30 our military budget is 10 times anyone else's. Your concern for an imminent invasion catching us off guard is laughable. It's also extremely out of date in the post 9/11 world. We were attacked with box-cutters 18 years ago. A bloated military didn't save us then and it won't save us now.

We need a hawk in the White House like we need a white supremacist there. Stop contributing to the problem.

by Anonymousreply 34April 23, 2019 12:43 AM

R33, he’s publicly stated that he disagrees with their politics.

by Anonymousreply 35April 23, 2019 12:48 AM

R34, what hawk?

by Anonymousreply 36April 23, 2019 12:48 AM

It must be the T and Q who want a peace deal with CFA. I sure as fuck don't want one. I'm not going to eat their shitty chicken no matter what he does.

by Anonymousreply 37April 23, 2019 12:50 AM

Fuck Pete and fuck Chick-fil-A, too. Pete was happy enough to stay in the closet for 33 years, so why should any of us be surprised to see him sucking up Chick-fil-A. It is good for his career and that's all he cares about.

by Anonymousreply 38April 23, 2019 12:54 AM

[quote]Chick Fil A suports conversion therapy, which we know leads directly to suicide. Any LGBT person giving them a pass is to be avoided. They contribute to the marginalizing of our community; they are traitors, nothing less.

Not just that; they also contribute a percentage of their profits to evangelical missions in various African nations where, having failed to criminalize LGBTs here, they now indoctrinate susceptible Christian populations with anti-gay propaganda. This has directly led to anti-gay laws, as well as vigilante action, such as hunting, beating, and sometimes killing gays, subjecting suspected lesbians to what's termed "corrective rape,' and hunting witches and burning them alive. Some of the accused are just children.

Those chicken sandwiches are blood money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 23, 2019 1:05 AM

He is a moron if he thinks this posturing will get straights to vote for him. As a straight person I thank him for supporting chick fil a but I won't still vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 40April 23, 2019 1:13 AM

[quote]As a straight person I thank him for supporting chick fil a

Then what the fuck are you doing on Datalounge, you worthless sack of shit?

by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2019 1:14 AM

R40 He is NOT supporting Chick Fil A, moron! it was a nuanced, tongue in cheek remark that fell flat. And people on here want to know why he doesn't go off script very often. Because of this stupid misconstrued BS.

by Anonymousreply 42April 23, 2019 1:17 AM

We all know Chik Fil A is bad. Nowhere has he said Chik Fil A’s policy towards gays is wonderful or everyone should go there. People are just making up shit.

by Anonymousreply 43April 23, 2019 1:20 AM

R41. I can see I hit a nerve. I am not surprised your mouth is so filthy and disgusting since you probably just sucked some guy off. You told on yourself because who is really the worthless piece of shit. I know your parents want nothing to do with you faggot.

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2019 1:35 AM

[quote]Nowhere has he said Chik Fil A’s policy towards gays is wonderful or everyone should go there.

Just like no one here said that he said those things? Stop putting words in people’s mouths and check your straw man arguments. He defended them, full stop.

by Anonymousreply 45April 23, 2019 2:19 AM

It worries me Mayor Pete's judgment has decided that Chik-Fil-A is the hill to die on with gay voters.

Fuck Chik-Fil-A and they hating, and fuck him too! Why should I hand money over to those demons restricting my rights. FUCK THAT!

by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2019 3:15 AM

If Hick-Fil-A ever supports tr*nscultism, then they’re still as homophobic as ever.

by Anonymousreply 47April 23, 2019 11:31 AM

Muriel, ban the homophobe at R44. Every f&f that asshole, please.

by Anonymousreply 48April 23, 2019 12:00 PM

Still waiting for r44 to be red tagged or greyed out. WTF, Muriel?

by Anonymousreply 49April 23, 2019 4:49 PM

He did not defend them. Here’s what he actually did say:

“I do not approve of their politics, but I kind of approve of their chicken. So I could build that bridge.”

by Anonymousreply 50April 23, 2019 4:57 PM

Pete could be a formidable candidate if he wasn’t openly gay

by Anonymousreply 51April 23, 2019 5:15 PM

I think this was more of a joking light-hearted answer. Is it really wrong? Obama talked about olive branches to our countries enemies. If they are willing to change, why not accept the progress. He isn't saying we should all be eating there or anything crazy.

by Anonymousreply 52April 23, 2019 8:19 PM

He's an equivocating assimilationist fence-sitting gun-loving centrist.

That may be what we need, but he also seems like a bit of a gay Trojan Horse.

The corporate media keeps telling us how "like-able" he is. "Hey, look, a homo who doesn't repulse us!"

Meanwhile Warren and other shave better plans and decades more experience.

by Anonymousreply 53April 23, 2019 8:31 PM

Man, some people are seriously afraid of Mayor Pete, to be flipping out like this over a joke. Try as you might to discredit him, the dude is still a Rhodes scholar, war veteran, polyglot, out gay man who has already accomplished more in his 37 years than 99% of the people criticising him ever will. And if he isn't president in 2020, he will be one day.

by Anonymousreply 54April 24, 2019 12:13 AM

It was obviously a joke in context. It was said on The Breakfast Club, not Sixty Minutes.

Here’s the context, lots of good info. Chik Fil A was just mentioned in passing, a lot of more serious questions were discussed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 24, 2019 12:34 AM

I actually like Pete

by Anonymousreply 56April 24, 2019 12:36 AM

We only let Ellen speak for us!

by Anonymousreply 57April 24, 2019 2:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!