Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What’s the matter with Sandy Dennis?

She seems like she pushes her words out. Stressy. WTH? Also, I remember in the 1980’s she was living with Eric Roberts who was way younger than her . This was during Roberts coke years. Is she a drug taker too? Why was she with him? Why was he with her? lol

by Anonymousreply 12August 22, 2019 9:07 AM

The only drug she’s on now is formaldehyde.

by Anonymousreply 1March 24, 2019 3:58 PM

Exactly, R1. What’s wrong with her is that she’s dead.

But Sandy Duncan is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 2March 24, 2019 4:01 PM

Why do you think there was something wrong with her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 24, 2019 4:02 PM

She just had giant upper teeth, as well as an overbite. She had to push the words out or they'd get stuck in those teeth.

by Anonymousreply 4March 24, 2019 4:04 PM

In her Westport, Conn., home, actress Sandy Dennis faces another day of domestic disarray. Up since 5 A.M., her usual rising hour, she’s been feeding, fondling and frantically ministering to her 37 cats and three dogs. It’s barely noon, and Sandy has already scrubbed away five stains, removed two cats from potted plants and is on her third load of laundry—mostly rugs. Now she’s attempting the impossible, preparing lunch for human guests. In the kitchen she heats up some lasagna, swiping at cat Stanley when he comes sniffing the pasta. She protects her cheese platter by placing it in the safest place in the house, the bathroom. As Sandy surveys this stage where she has chosen to lead her life, she seems content. “You know, if I didn’t have these 37 cats and three dogs, I think I would have been compulsive.”

by Anonymousreply 5March 24, 2019 4:06 PM

After Sandy’s first day in kindergarten, the teacher called home to report that Sandy was dyslexic—she had recited the alphabet backward. “Well, that’s the way I taught her to say it,” says Yvonne [her mother]. “We played the ouija board backward too.”

by Anonymousreply 6March 24, 2019 4:08 PM

By 1968 Sandy was a big box office draw and the darling of the critics. “Let me tell you about Sandy Dennis,” wrote New York Times theater critic Walter Kerr. “There should be one in every home.” But her maddening mannerisms were soon attracting notice. At first the comments were cute. “Sandy Dennis is the only actress I know who can take a pause in the middle of ‘uh,’ ” said director Vivian Matalon. Then they turned cruel. “Sandy Dennis has made an acting style out of postnasal drip,” wrote New Yorker film critic Pauline Kael. Dennis says Kael was right. “I did speak from my throat back then, but I don’t anymore.”

More comfortable with criticism than compliments, Sandy begs to hear more of her bad reviews. “She either runs on her sentences incoherently or scrambles them with false starts, jerky internal word repetitions and teeth-baring snorts,” said New York Times theater critic Frank Rich in his 1982 review of Come Back to the 5 & Dime, Jimmy Dean. Sandy nods in agreement. “That’s absolutely right. Know why? ‘Cause I used to say things and it didn’t sound right and I would start again. When I began teaching acting, I used to go to class and say, ‘Hello, how are, I mean, hello, oh, I mean.’ ” As for her recurrent gesture of covering her mouth with one hand, which has irritated several critics, Sandy says, “I had these big buck teeth as a kid, and they called me Bugs Bunny. I had braces for five years, but they just didn’t work. Then this wonderful dentist filed them off.”

by Anonymousreply 7March 24, 2019 4:11 PM

She was fine and enjoyed anal.

by Anonymousreply 8March 24, 2019 4:24 PM

[R8], if you're going to quote directly from her obituary, please add an attribution.

by Anonymousreply 9March 24, 2019 4:30 PM
by Anonymousreply 10August 22, 2019 8:23 AM

She did a very good English accent in A Touch Of Love (1969)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 22, 2019 9:03 AM

Sandy had an early role as an understudy in the Broadway production of The Dark at the Top of the Stairs and I believe she copied a lot of her acting style from Eileen Heckart who was in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 12August 22, 2019 9:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!