Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Whom do you regret seeing perform live?

I sadly am too young to have seen Led Zeppelin live, but I like the picture.

When I was young, I saw Gary Lewis live. He was drunk and it was an embarrassing disaster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354June 25, 2019 2:15 PM

Since I'm an Eldergay, I saw Led Zep. They were quite good in concert (especially when you are stoned to the tits). The weirdest was the Stones - they played San Antonio 2 nights. First night sucked (they were late, fucked up, not together) second night was awesome.

Obviously, all 3 of these performances were before most folks here were born.

by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2019 9:23 PM

Your dad at that club. I want my money back

by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2019 9:24 PM

I saw the infamous Justin Carter, the rising star, perform his hit song. I really feel Justin would have been the next, Luke Bryan, with all his sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 3March 23, 2019 9:32 PM

I was always very selective on who I see live. I rarely saw an act I was not a fan of. REM stands out as a band that I saw in 1985 that was really bad live at the Beacon Theater. Stipe kept singing off key and the band was off. I was a huge fan so I was very disappointed. Supposedly they played hot and cold back then. I was still a fan and bought all their records, but I ever tried to see them live again.

by Anonymousreply 4March 23, 2019 9:32 PM

OP'S mom.

I hear she puts on a great show. The thing she does with ping pong balls is legendary.

by Anonymousreply 5March 23, 2019 9:41 PM

Janeane Garofolo at Philadelphia's Tower Theater probably 15 years ago. She read her act from notecards that were out of order and had mistakes. One joke started out referring to the restaurant chain "Chili's" which became "Ruby Tuesday's" mid-joke. We understood the notecards were the problem when she shuffled through them trying to figure out why the restaurant chain name changed and she muttered "oh, they're out of order but that still doesn't make sense". And then, happily, she said "you wouldn't get the joke anyway".

by Anonymousreply 6March 23, 2019 9:42 PM

Jefferson Starship - enough said

In high school, our choir went to Dallas for competition. We went to Six Flags - Arlington, where Starland Vocal Band (Afternoon Delight) played. One guy, a Mormon kid, was so sheltered he'd never been to any non-classical concerts, so for him this was a big treat.

by Anonymousreply 7March 23, 2019 9:55 PM

That sounds terrible, r7

by Anonymousreply 8March 23, 2019 9:59 PM

Donald O'Connor. He was doing concert dates with Mimi Hines all over the country. She did the first half. He followed after the intermission. Mimi wa s great. Donald showed up... drunk? Hard to say, really. But in no mood and no condition to perform. He talked for awhile. Apologized profusely for being a mess. He tried to do one of his hat tricks from Make 'em Laugh, but dropped the hat. Then when picking up the hat, he stumbled and ripped the crotch seam of his pants. He apologized again, thanked everyone for cooming, then said, "I have to go." And he left the stage.

Curtain. Lights up. The End.

by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2019 10:09 PM

Richard Marx he was overly skinny, very scrawny, complete ASSHOLE, very ugly and had bushy hair. He thought he was hot shit. People would throw roses on the stage and he said, ‘No more!’ He bent down and threw all the flowers, etc back at the audience. Yes, he could sing. But he thought he was all that - we thought he was a hot mess. This was around 1986 in Seattle at Bumpershoot. Disgustingly rude man ugly man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2019 10:16 PM

In retrospect (yes, duh), most, if not all, artists that I saw in an outdoor stadium concert. The smaller, amphitheaters are good, though.

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2019 10:17 PM

I watched Aretha Franklin walk through a concert in the '80s - come to think of it, it was outdoors, R11. She was wearing military fatigues and seemed tired and cranky. Remember, Aretha was headed for bargain bin/ oldies circuit right before Luther Vandross produced "Jump To It," which saved her career imo.

by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2019 10:20 PM

Woody Allen

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2019 10:30 PM

Natalie Merchant - she was dreadful at Wolftrap in VA a few years ago. She clearly did not want to do that - she was sour and unpleasant. It was odd.

by Anonymousreply 14March 23, 2019 10:31 PM

Mozart. I've heard wonderful things.

by Anonymousreply 15March 23, 2019 10:33 PM

Prince.

by Anonymousreply 16March 23, 2019 10:36 PM

R16 wtf?

by Anonymousreply 17March 23, 2019 10:36 PM

Rick James, Dallas Reunion Arena, early/mid-80's. The height of "Super Freak" being a hit. The opening act was great., but then Rick took way too long to come out. House lights kept going off and on, rounds of boos sweeping through the crowd. He finally hit the stage very late, to cheers, and made it through one and a half songs before he passed out. They carried him off and a short time later he came back out to cheers again, and he apologized. As he spoke it was clear he was out of his mind fucked-up (people cheered and hooted at this too). He then made it through one song and again passed out. A guy came out and said the concert was over due to illness and the houselights went on. Horrible night.

by Anonymousreply 18March 23, 2019 10:42 PM

The Police in their prime were a snooze. Much better when they reunited on their “Let’s Cash In” tour long after they stopped recording.

by Anonymousreply 19March 23, 2019 10:50 PM

I’ve seen REM a few times. Usually good, but once they stormed off after 20 minutes because the crowd wouldn’t stop rushing the stage. Miss Michael had a hissy fit. To be fair, they were worried about crowd safety.

by Anonymousreply 20March 23, 2019 10:51 PM

Andrew Dice Clay.

Ravi Shankar.

by Anonymousreply 21March 23, 2019 10:52 PM

Green Day. BJ was a dick.

by Anonymousreply 22March 23, 2019 10:53 PM

R16 expand. I’m very curious why Prince’s concert sucked.

by Anonymousreply 23March 23, 2019 10:55 PM

Erasure at the L.A. Forum in Inglewood (1990ish?). It was for their "Wild" album which wasn't a good one at all. A friend had gotten me hooked on "The Innocents" album so I went hoping they'd play some of those hits; they didn't.

Andy kept talking to the crowd about sitting on big dicks (truly). He seemed pretty lit. I just wanted to walk back to the parking lot and sleep but didn't want to be rude to my friend.

by Anonymousreply 24March 23, 2019 11:03 PM

A friend had a date cancel on him to see Garrison Keillor. I went along, only vaguely aware of who he was. An excruciating 2 hrs. of hearing him taaalk and not be funny or interesting at all.

I couldn't believe people got all gussied-up and paid hard-earned money to see that.

by Anonymousreply 25March 23, 2019 11:08 PM

Henry Rollins did a speaking/slideshow thing here a while back. It was absolutely great, but he very obviously wasn’t interested in the meet-and-great/photo op/Q&A that a handful of us paid A LOT for. Even though it was set up to be very a very quick thing (we were only allowed to ask one question and take one photo each, and they screened questions so we had to write it down beforehand). He himself rushed through it even faster, seemed put out by the whole thing, and was pretty short even though I give him credit for trying to fake it and not be rude. I love Henry and totally get that being moody is his schtick, but if you don’t want to do these things, don’t take people’s money for it.

Also not a concert, but John Cleese did a fundraiser thing for a university department that he sponsors. His pre-written speech was pretty funny and that was worth the donation/ticket price. The Q&A was pretty bad. He gave off a vibe that it was beneath him to take questions from the audience. Maybe he just wanted them to ask questions about the topic of the fundraiser but of course they didn’t. I felt a little bad too because he’s nearly deaf and couldn’t hear a single question people asked him, and so each question had to be repeated more than once. He got a little more irritated at us in the crowd with every repeated question. And, I guess I would be pissy too if all people ever asked me were the same old 40+ year old Monty Python observations and “How nice was Jamie Lee Curtis to work with?”

by Anonymousreply 26March 23, 2019 11:10 PM

Patti Labelle opened a club in NYC years ago. She showed up at 3 am, sounded drunk, and forgot all the words

by Anonymousreply 27March 23, 2019 11:12 PM

R16, I saw Prince at Madison Square Garden. He was a good performer. I just didn’t understand why he was getting all the over-the-top reviews.

It wasn’t even among my top ten concerts

by Anonymousreply 28March 23, 2019 11:14 PM

Fox News

by Anonymousreply 29March 23, 2019 11:14 PM

30 seconds to Mars - Last year. It was so fucking bad. They had the crowd sing 50% of the time. The worst.

One Republic - Terrible singing live and really boring on stage.

by Anonymousreply 30March 23, 2019 11:19 PM

R19 But Sting was hot then, not now.

by Anonymousreply 31March 23, 2019 11:23 PM

Madonna on Broadway in SPEED THE PLOW.

She could barely keep up with Joe Mantegna and Ron Silver. Stunt casting of the first order.

by Anonymousreply 32March 23, 2019 11:28 PM

Ted Nugent in 1982. I got a free ticket and I still felt ripped off.

by Anonymousreply 33March 23, 2019 11:38 PM

I got invited to see Elaine Stritch at Town Hall years after her brilliant turn in "At Liberty" at The Public. I knew it would be a disaster without the John Lahr/George C. Wolfe script and direction and it was. Elaine couldn't be told anything, especially when to quit trying to perform live and she was an addled unpleasant mess attempting to recreate her scripted storytelling between songs. She couldn't really tell a story without getting lost down the rabbit hole, and she forgot the lyrics to EVERY SONG she croaked, except "Ladies Who Lunch", but even then was searching for the lyrics in her head. It was sad and embarrassing. She was just too old and had lost the ability to sing without reading the words which she was too obstinate to do. It was well after she returned to drinking and the dissipation was obvious.

by Anonymousreply 34March 24, 2019 1:37 AM

Add me to the band of REM malcontent. I saw the Monster tour (not their best album to begin with) and the whole show was so.fucking.dull that I barely remember anything about it.

Oh, and Aretha in the late 90s. She gave the world’s most apathetic performance and abruptly ended it 45 minutes in.

by Anonymousreply 35March 24, 2019 1:45 AM

Culture Club when Boy George was so drugged out.

by Anonymousreply 36March 24, 2019 1:46 AM

R18, was the opening act Teena Marie?

by Anonymousreply 37March 24, 2019 1:50 AM

Not firsthand, but friends of mine saw Rick Springfield and said it was just embarrassing. Evidently people in the audience kept handing him flowers and he did some weird thing where he held them against the guitar so the petals would fly everywhere when he hit the strings hard.

by Anonymousreply 38March 24, 2019 1:50 AM

My mom likes to say that Chaka Khan concerts have disappointed her in 3 separate decades. Chaka was always drunk or high and doesn’t do a full show.

by Anonymousreply 39March 24, 2019 2:01 AM

I saw Chaka two times and she was great both times.

by Anonymousreply 40March 24, 2019 2:02 AM

Yes Madonna was horrible in Speed the Plow. I saw it again with Elizabeth Moss and it was much better.

Aretha performed gospel at the closing act of a benefit concert. She was so loud and I hated the music so much, I left early.

by Anonymousreply 41March 24, 2019 2:12 AM

Milli Vanilli. In my defense, we were given the tickets.

by Anonymousreply 42March 24, 2019 2:57 AM

Patti Smith poetry reading. Snotty..pretentiousness personified. She was totally unprepared and acted like she was doing everyone a favor by just showing up. A horrible person.

by Anonymousreply 43March 24, 2019 3:32 AM

R42 I actually liked Milli Vanilli and would have loved to see those handsome men. It’s sad, their lives have been plagued with drama and suicide. Although, how stupid can you be?

by Anonymousreply 44March 24, 2019 3:50 AM

I walked out of a Chaka Khan concert not long ago. Couldn't take it.

by Anonymousreply 45March 24, 2019 4:06 AM

I saw Vanilla Ice back in the 90s. He really only had one hit and one album, so there were long periods during the concert where he danced the running man, while the crowd chanted "Go white boy, go white boy ..."

One second thoughts maybe I should have posted this under the "Most awesome Concert Ever" thread.

by Anonymousreply 46March 24, 2019 4:14 AM

R42 Why would you regret that? They've become legendary, (although not in a good way). It might have been an excruciating 2 hours, but now you've got a great tale to tell for the rest of your life.

by Anonymousreply 47March 24, 2019 4:22 AM

Linda Ronstadt in the 90s. She stood behind the microphone like a statue for 45 minutes. Zero stage presence or charisma. Voice was okay, but nothing outstanding. I've seen Streisand twice, and her voice is far superior to Linda's in every way.

Whitney Houston came to my college in the 80s before she hit it big. It was right before her debut album came out. The only songs she had out at the time were the duets with Teddy Pendergrass and Jermaine Jackson. She was good, but her voice didn't blow me away like Streisand's did, and Streisand was much older.

I've taken my nieces to see Ariana Grande, and she is a more impressive live singer than Whitney Houston was in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 48March 24, 2019 4:25 AM

In 2013 I saw Liza at the Hollywood Bowl and it was pretty awful

by Anonymousreply 49March 24, 2019 4:34 AM

R46- I wish I went to that concert with you.

by Anonymousreply 50March 24, 2019 4:36 AM

In the late 1980s, I went to see Neil Young, whom I greatly admired. Neil was in one of his "I hate the world" phases, so his show wasn't good at all. He opened with an acoustic guitar only, and whined when people yelled at him to play some of his best loved songs. He was especially reluctant to play "Heart of Gold" which was probably his biggest hit at the time. After the solo set, he came out with an electric band and played some songs from his current LP "Life" which was sort of underwhelming. But, he seemed at least engaged at playing these songs. Not a great show at all.

by Anonymousreply 51March 24, 2019 5:03 AM

Not really on-theme, however . . . . I was given a ticket to go to Marlene Dietrich in concert. I thought it would be fucking tragic and a huge joke, so off I toddled. Serves me right. She was brilliant. One of the best shows I have ever seen. That'll teach me to have pre-conceived opinions!! Brava Marlene xxx

by Anonymousreply 52March 24, 2019 5:06 AM

I saw Bob Dylan in 1992, deep in the heroin years. It was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 53March 24, 2019 5:07 AM

Mariah Carey. The Emancipation of Mimi Tour.

She was a mess. Wore ill-fitted outfits. Uncomfortable on stage. Ran around the stage and couldn't relax. The good notes were obviously dubbed (as evident by the NYE disaster).

by Anonymousreply 54March 24, 2019 5:20 AM

Those boys I hired from Helix. Maybe I gave them too much coke.

by Anonymousreply 55March 24, 2019 5:28 AM

Agree that the Police were boring in concert. U2, on the other hand, can work a large crowd.

I've heard that Chaka Khan is awful in concert. Not sure why people are still going to see her.

by Anonymousreply 56March 24, 2019 5:36 AM

Pat Benatar circa 1979.

by Anonymousreply 57March 24, 2019 5:42 AM

Clarence "Frogman" Henry. He was the third of three opening acts for the Beatles in September, 1964. By the time he came onstage and started croaking (literally) the audience of mostly 12,000 young girls (and a few boys like me) were so bored, fed up and impatient to see the Beatles that his act was sheer torture for the entire audience. I don't remember boos but there were a lot of teenaged angsty groans...like, oh, no..will you please just stop and go away! The poor old guy had only one hit song: (I Ain't Got No Home) but sang three or four songs. It was painful, for the audience and for Clarence who was a senior citizen by then. He was only on this show because all of the Beatles loved him. Jackie DeShannon and The Bill Black Combo were the two other opening acts. Mercifully Clarence finally quit singing and left the stage and a couple minutes later the entire Coliseum erupted with chaos as the Beatles were introduced and took the stage.

by Anonymousreply 58March 24, 2019 6:10 AM

Lou Reed at, I believe, the Bottom Line. Came on late and started playing “Sweet Jane.” And playing it and playing it. After about thirty minutes my friend and I looked at each other and agreed to leave. Only time I walked out of a concert.

by Anonymousreply 59March 24, 2019 6:24 AM

That's hilarious, r59.

Do you remember the year?

by Anonymousreply 60March 24, 2019 6:27 AM

I saw Chaka whom I love at Foxwoods. Hated every second of her boring, sloppy, undisciplined show.

Saw Madonna whom I used to love at the Boston Garden in the 2000s. I wasn't impressed. A jazzy dance routine with a Jumbotron flashing epilepsy-inducing bullshit.

Saw Aretha whom I love at the Wang Center. She phoned it in. Sounded good but acted like she was mad we showed up.

Saw Whitney whom I love at Concerts on the Common. She bitched about the weather all night. People booed her at one point when she stopped the set until she got a pair of gloves. It was September. Cmon girl.

Michael Buble whom I hate anyway was a douche and a half. I thought it would be a mature audience who enjoyed the Great American Songwood. It was sorority girls on dates and bachelorette parties.

by Anonymousreply 61March 24, 2019 7:25 AM

The cast of the current revival of Merrily We Roll Along

by Anonymousreply 62March 24, 2019 7:48 AM

Mika was awful in concert. Don't remember the year (not terribly long ago), but it was romper room onstage and his voice sucked.

by Anonymousreply 63March 24, 2019 8:54 AM

Blondie at Lovebox a few years back.

Debbie Harry couldn't remember the words to her songs and it was generally rubbish.

by Anonymousreply 64March 24, 2019 9:14 AM

Worst concert ever for me was the Doobie Brothers back in the mid 70's. They were so wasted and the guitars were out of tune. It was just AWFUL.

by Anonymousreply 65March 24, 2019 9:18 AM

Josh Groban. A friend invited me. Zero stage presence. He just stood and oversang. Then there is this weird moment where he sings You Raise Me Up and all the frau “Grobanites” (mostly chunky white women) raise their light stick they brought and they all have this moment together where they sway and sing it together. Cheesy AF.

by Anonymousreply 66March 24, 2019 9:31 AM

[quote]In the late 1980s, I went to see Neil Young

[quote]He was especially reluctant to play "Heart of Gold" which was probably his biggest hit at the time.

Only if you hadn't listened to his albums since 1972.

by Anonymousreply 67March 24, 2019 9:40 AM

[quote]it was romper room onstage

What does that mean, r63?

by Anonymousreply 68March 24, 2019 9:42 AM

During one of our rare vi$its to Las Vegas we noted that Redd Foxx was performing in the lounge. We wanted to see him but decided to wait until he came to LA. Sadly, shortly thereafter he went to heaven instead.

by Anonymousreply 69March 24, 2019 9:46 AM

I guess I haven't been to enough concerts. I only remember being at a James Taylor concert in the early '70s, and wishing it would end so we could be in the "back in the dorms, talking about it" phase of the evening. Same with a very early Emmylou Harris concert in 1973.

by Anonymousreply 70March 24, 2019 9:52 AM

Concerts aren’t that fun when I think about them. In most of those that I have attended, I remember standing in lines that crawl along very slowly. The worst is when you’re packed into seats and surrounded by people who sing louder than the performer. I’ve seen a few altercations with some very drunk people. It’s not a great experience.

Splurging on VIP seating and a “meet & greet” sound sexy like a better plan, until you discover the performer is annoyed at participating. That happens a lot. Bonnie Raitt was one example.

Patti Smith also seems to hate her audience. Blondie can be uneven but always seem so amiable when touring. To be fair, some fans get very disinhibted and that must be hard to deal with over the long haul.

by Anonymousreply 71March 24, 2019 10:09 AM

R71 here...”sound sexy” is meant to spell “sounds like” ...goddamn spellfucker.

by Anonymousreply 72March 24, 2019 10:11 AM

I don't regret it, but I saw Johnny Winter a couple years before his death. He had zero stage presence. Didn't interact with the audience in any capacity.

I think he was nearly blind by that point.

by Anonymousreply 73March 24, 2019 10:12 AM

[quote]goddamn spellfucker.

TURN IT OFF, DUMBASS.

by Anonymousreply 74March 24, 2019 10:18 AM

Ute Hagen. Legendary actress and teacher of Acting with a capital A. She disappeared from the stage for a period of time during the 1970's, but came back to Broadway in a much ballyhooed (almost) one-woman show entitled CHARLOTTE. A 90 minute monologue from Goethe's wife. Maybe mistress. I don't recall. It wouldn't lessen the pain of the evening, if I did.

She was awful. She was prompted for lines several times. Her director was Charles Nelson Reilly. He put himself into the play as a man she to whom she could speak and explain things. But he had no lines, so he never replied, except to nod knowingly, or alternatively, nod quizzically. His presence complicated all the blocking. It was all just a wretched mess, not ready for Broadway, but not even ready to try out in a small regional theater in the dead of winter.

So, a huge disappointment with my first opportunity to see the great Ute Hagen on stage.

Several seasons later, she appeared at the Roundabout in G.B. Shaw's "Mrs. Warren's Profession." It's a great play and she was playing Mrs. Warren, a great role. She played it with all the the savoir faire of a Polish truck driver. Awful.

I don't know what she had when she was young, but "Virginia Woofl" must have depleted it. All of it.

by Anonymousreply 75March 24, 2019 12:44 PM

James Taylor was supposed to perform at my friend's school (way back in the early 70's) and I made the 200+ mile trip to see him with my friend, but apparently he was drugged out of his mind and was unable to even leave his hotel room and the whole thing was cancelled. At one point we heard the cops had to show up at the hotel. Needless to say I was royally pissed I had made that drive for nothing and instead of staying the weekend I left the next morning.

by Anonymousreply 76March 24, 2019 1:48 PM

Dolly Parton. Ugh. Nothing but lip sync. Really bad lip sync. Some of her talk talk and stories were lip synced too. What seemed fun on TV was just an overplayed cheap joke. It was pretty bad. This was about ten years ago.

by Anonymousreply 77March 24, 2019 2:10 PM

This thread is pretty fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 78March 24, 2019 2:12 PM

I saw a painfully bad Jane's Addiction show in their early days. Perry's drug mix must have been off that night.

A friend persuaded me to go to a big, outdoor Sting concert that was sooo boring and a waste of money.

Then there was the time Grace Jones was 4 or 5 hours late for a club performance, came on around 4 am, and did three songs. But I saw her in Palm Springs a few years later and she was fucking amazing.

by Anonymousreply 79March 24, 2019 3:00 PM

The Eagles.

YAWN!

by Anonymousreply 80March 24, 2019 3:05 PM

I went to see the Stones and Bruce Springsteen back I the 80's. I was an 18 year old nerd and didn't really know either of them, but went because my new college pals told me I HAD to go.

Awful. So loud I was completely deaf for 3 days afterwards. The fans were drunk and obnoxious. Tried to be cool, tried to enjoy it so I could feel part of the new college kid crowd. But I hated every second of it.

I just do not like that music experience.

by Anonymousreply 81March 24, 2019 3:08 PM

I stood 20 feet away from Chaka Khan at the Sunset Junction street fair about 20 years ago. What an amazing experience.

As in anything, consistency is key. More singers should take acting lessons and not leave it up to how they "feel" on any particular night.

by Anonymousreply 82March 24, 2019 4:54 PM

Unless it was an amazingly bad experience, r82, you're posting in the wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 83March 24, 2019 5:11 PM

Went with friends to see Neil Young, early 90s, I guess. At that point he was using distortion as an "instrument" in his concerts. Painful. You could see other fans in the audience with fingers in their ears, the faces expressing "we want [italic]acoustic[/italic] Neil." I love a lot of his songs, but that was not a fun concert for me. The opening acts were Social Distortion, then Sonic Youth. Social Distortion put on a good show. I was glad we saw them. But Sonic Youth? Self impressed and overrated. I never got the love for them. Overall a C- evening.

by Anonymousreply 84March 24, 2019 5:29 PM

The Mavericks in Philadelphia. No between song banter, no how ya doin Philly, nothing. Might as well have saved the money and put on a cd.

by Anonymousreply 85March 24, 2019 5:35 PM

Oh, fuck off R83 hall monitor. It was a reply to the ones who didn't like Chaka in concert.

by Anonymousreply 86March 24, 2019 5:54 PM

Neely O'Hara at The Pits, Reno. This was in 1974 before her second comeback. She rolled in a half hour late, weighing just shy of 200 lbs and clad in a bejeweled caftan. It was sizzlingly hot out and the hotel's AC system had broken down; she was sweating through the whole performance. Worst of all she forget the lyrics to It's Impossible and when a stagehand failed to prompt her on them she berated loudly with a string of homophobic slurs.

by Anonymousreply 87March 24, 2019 6:16 PM

r87 for the win

by Anonymousreply 88March 24, 2019 6:18 PM

We saw Liza in concert in 1987. As we sat there we were thinking (observing that every expense had been spared with a three piece 'orchestra') that we were glad we did not pay for the tickets.

by Anonymousreply 89March 24, 2019 6:22 PM

I regret seeing Dolly Parton a couple years ago. I had seen her in the 90s and it was truly live because they messed up a song or two. When I saw her in 2017 every bit was lip sync - even her playing her instruments - was painfully embarrassing. I was up close and you could tell it was all taped - I was so disappointed, because she does play many instruments and has an adequate voice. But, I guess that time had passed!

by Anonymousreply 90March 24, 2019 6:25 PM

I went to a Motley Crue concert in the '80s with a guy I eventually dumped for having a small penis. Nothing good to report about any of it.

by Anonymousreply 91March 24, 2019 6:32 PM

A fabulous fisheldersister we know saw Dietrich's final LA concert around 1976...., she wondered if she was actually singing and commented about the audience: " .....and there was not ONE str8 person in the audience, it was ALL queens!"

by Anonymousreply 92March 24, 2019 6:42 PM

Liza in Vegas where she was recovering from hip surgery and sat on a stool the whole show her chatting was incomprehensible, lost her eyelashes and was a general mess. Mahavisnu Orchestra: oy the noise, the volume. I left after 15 minutes. Gordon Lightfoot at The Troubadour in LA, a surly, unlikeable performer.

by Anonymousreply 93March 24, 2019 6:48 PM

Milli Vanilli

by Anonymousreply 94March 24, 2019 6:54 PM

There are only a few popular singers who are good in concert, which is shocking considering that it's their main source of income these days.

The good ones: Beyonce, Madonna, Gaga, Celine Dion, Ariana Grande, Pink, Barbra Streisand, Taylor Swift, Adele. Katy Perry puts on a good show, but she can't sing....at all. They put on consistently excellent shows and have respect for their audiences. It's not easy putting on a good show in a cavernous arena, but they try their best to do it.

For the men: Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars, Billy Joel, Jimmy Buffett, Coldplay, Garth Brooks put on great shows. Elton John used to, but I don't know about recently.

by Anonymousreply 95March 24, 2019 6:55 PM

Anyone seeing Whitney on her last tour? I've heard only horror stories.

by Anonymousreply 96March 24, 2019 6:59 PM

R96 search youtube - quite a few clips - so pitiful.

by Anonymousreply 97March 24, 2019 7:06 PM

For some reason I went to see Pauly Shore at Caroline's in NYC. Awful show. He was drunk, pissy, and sour. Halfhearted delivery and spent much of his onstage time insulting himself and audience members. Terrible.

I also saw Sinatra when he opened the Knickerbocker (now the Pepsi Arena) in Albany. Ava Gardner has just passed away a few days before and Sinatra was *bombed*. He drank throughout the evening from a fifth of Jack he had onstage with him. At one point he reached into a bucket of ice, threw a handful of ice up in the air and tried to catch them in his glass and failed miserably. His One For My Baby that night was amazing though.

by Anonymousreply 98March 24, 2019 7:23 PM

Sir John Gielgud in the bathroom at the Old Vic

by Anonymousreply 99March 24, 2019 7:25 PM

Michael Jackson

by Anonymousreply 100March 24, 2019 7:25 PM

R61 - The Whitney concert -- was that around 1991/92? My roommate went with his girlfriend, and came back and said it was the worst concert he'd ever attended.

by Anonymousreply 101March 24, 2019 7:28 PM

You had a straight roommate? Did you get to see his cock? Was he hung?

by Anonymousreply 102March 24, 2019 7:31 PM

Sophie B Hawkins, trashed off her buns at D.C. Gay Pride. Aggressively crazy and furious about having to be shooed off the stage. Funny now but it felt scary at the time.

Lou Reed. Ugly mullet after that style was done. No stage presence. A cheesy Casio-type synthesizer churned out all his "guitar solos" as he mimed rock god moves.

by Anonymousreply 103March 24, 2019 7:37 PM

R102 - Yes. No. Not sure, but I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 104March 24, 2019 7:38 PM

Lou was a lost soul, r103

by Anonymousreply 105March 24, 2019 7:39 PM

The Kinks around 1980. They were drinking and Ray Davies got sloppier as the show went on. Eventually, he couldn't remember lyrics and told the crowd to take over singing on a few. songs. Musically, the band was nothing special that night, either.

Steely Dan in 2011, or Fagan and Becker specifically. Fagan didn't look healthy and sounded like he had COPD. He also made it clear he liked his songs from Aja onward. Anything he said about the original band was either a backhanded compliment or a negative comparison to his touring musicians. He left most the original band's best songs off the playlist but seemed to play every damned song from Aja and Gaucho. I was walking to the parking lot and could hear the band closing out the show with a really fast run through of Reeling in the Years. It was the most polarizing concert I've seen. Fans of the original band were sitting there shaking their heads while the Aja/Gaucho fans were on their feet.

by Anonymousreply 106March 24, 2019 8:03 PM

I liked Aja and Gaucho most among all Steely Dan albums. I have a hard time remembering which song is from which album on the earlier ones, except The Royal Scam, which I also like. I like The Nightfly most. It and Gaucho are the only ones I can say I love.

by Anonymousreply 107March 24, 2019 8:24 PM

R107

They left "Do It Again," "Rikki, Don't Lose That Number," "Don't Take Me Alive" and "King of The World" off the playlist. They did play "Show Biz Kids" but changed the music to sound like the Aja era style and Fagan had the back up singers carry the song. And Reeling In The Years was a rush job. Fagan just doesn't like that song anymore.

I think Steely Dan should have advertised they were going to perform the entire Aja Album.

by Anonymousreply 108March 24, 2019 8:31 PM

Joni Mitchell..boring.

Lana Del Rey....ditto.

by Anonymousreply 109March 24, 2019 8:34 PM

r108, I might have enjoyed the concert more than you did, but I don't go to concerts anymore. I can't stand the way audiences act now, and 2011 would be included in my "now."

by Anonymousreply 110March 24, 2019 8:41 PM

Neil Young when he was promoting a new album, Greendale or some such. He had actors onstage, miming to the songs. The audience was bored stiff. I went to the bathroom and EVERYONE was bitching ing about it. We left shortly after that.

by Anonymousreply 111March 24, 2019 8:48 PM

Wow, really disappointed to hear about Dolly Parton, R90. I would have thought she sang live, not lip synched. So many clips of her on YouTube singing live with an awesome voice. Also, it seems like she would have a better work ethic & understanding that poor-ish people spent money on her shows.

by Anonymousreply 112March 24, 2019 8:51 PM

I am grateful the only times I've seen Neil Young were in the 1970s. NO REGRETS.

by Anonymousreply 113March 24, 2019 8:52 PM

Willie Nelson at some Civic Center in South Dakota my relatives dragged me to. There must have been some drama offstage between Willie and his band because the band came out and started talking among themselves with a lot of gesturing and head shaking. They were obviously agitated. When Willie finally came out you could see he was scowling, and he looked back and made some comments to the band several times during the show, even in the middle of songs. It was the shortest concert I've ever been to, under 40 minutes, and as soon as it ended he walked off without so much as a nod to the audience.

I didn't want to be there anyway, so I didn't care, but the people I was with were in shock. I. gather he's usually pretty good to his audiences, but not that night.

by Anonymousreply 114March 24, 2019 9:07 PM

R89 Erna, how was Liza’s voice, though?

by Anonymousreply 115March 24, 2019 9:11 PM

I saw Lou Reed at one of the clubs on Sunset - must have been the early 80s - and yeah it was pretty bad. .. As I recall we waited and waited and WAITED listening to his band do warm ups. .. He only performed for like 35 minutes. I was actually glad it was that short.

by Anonymousreply 116March 24, 2019 10:03 PM

A friend was producing the Tracey Ullman show and I went to watch them tape it live. I loved Tracey... until I watched her with the other actors -- she was rude, unpleasant, treated the audience as if they were they luckiest people in the world to see her in person, made a few nasty remarks about the crew and then refused to sign any autographs or even talk to the peons who came to watch.

No wonder why, as talented as she is, she never really became a star. And on top of that, she sued everyone involved with The Simpsons for money as that's where the show got its start, interspersed in hers. She claimed that they suckled that show off her tit.

Some tit.

She lost.

by Anonymousreply 117March 24, 2019 10:19 PM

Billy Joel at MSG in 2016. He was clearly there to collect a paycheck and get the hell back to Long Island. The surreal part was when they wheeled out Itzhak Perlman for a couple of duets. To be fair, BJ did do a serviceable rendition of Piano Man, which was all anyone was there for.

by Anonymousreply 118March 24, 2019 10:51 PM

Throughout the decades, I've seen Elvis Costello three times. The first time was at a large, indoor arena. Terrible. EC refused to sing his popular songs (e.g., "Pump It Up") and wanted to only play new songs. The crowd literally booed him and he was surly in return.

The second and third times I saw Elvis Costello were much, much better. Smaller venues and he seemed happy to play his old songs. At one of the shows, he hit the stage with, "Oh-oh, I just don't know where to begin ..." ("Accidents Will Happen"). His voice was in good shape and he was cheerful and put on good shows.

I'm glad I didn't give up after the first concert.

by Anonymousreply 119March 24, 2019 11:16 PM

Judy Garland's "Judy at Carnegie Hall" was the best selling album in the U.S. in the summer and fall of 1961. She toured the country often playing in sold- out areas.

Later the complete concert was released. No additional songs, but she talks to the audience and the conductor. And you can hear her dancing in between the break of the orchestra playing during "That's Entertainment."

Highly recommend. Best concert album for hearing what Judy was like at the greatest year of her life and career.

by Anonymousreply 120March 24, 2019 11:21 PM

Link for R98

Your post reminded me to google on when I saw Frank in Dayton. I remember that some lady down in the front asked him if his whisky was real and he assured her it was, with amused charm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121March 24, 2019 11:33 PM

I saw Karyn White back during her peak and, for some reason, she disappeared from the stage for like 20 minutes... people were booing.

by Anonymousreply 122March 25, 2019 12:21 AM

Went to a Miami Sound Machine concert because I was invited and would rather have been asleep in bed.

by Anonymousreply 123March 25, 2019 12:40 AM

For R123:

In bed, throw the covers on your head

You pretend like you are dead

But I know it, the rhythm is gonna get you

by Anonymousreply 124March 25, 2019 12:51 AM

Plus Gloria is so hard on the eyes. A fucking dog.

by Anonymousreply 125March 25, 2019 12:52 AM

Whitney Houston at Radio City Music Hall in '94. She was either high or coming down but she clearly didn't want to be there. I thought she was going to fall asleep on the stage. Her voice kept cracking and she couldn't hit the notes. Her backup singer had to cover for her. She did three sloppy, overly long medleys and screeched through I Will Always Love You! Awful!

by Anonymousreply 126March 25, 2019 1:09 AM

I've never heard anyone say that Aretha gave a great all-in performance. Never.

I've seen Elton John many times and he's never disappointed. He always does songs from every part of his long career, even songs that you're sure he would've forgotten about.

by Anonymousreply 127March 25, 2019 1:12 AM

GLORIA, NO!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128March 25, 2019 1:12 AM

Kenny G. at Jones Beach in '94. BORING! And we only went because Toni Braxton was supposed to open for him but pulled out of the tour shortly before that show!

by Anonymousreply 129March 25, 2019 1:14 AM

How could you not know Kenny Geek was going to be boring?

by Anonymousreply 130March 25, 2019 1:18 AM

I saw Natalie Cole years ago. It was weird. She wouldn't face the audience a lot of times while she sang, and it was very perfunctory. No banter. Bleh.

by Anonymousreply 131March 25, 2019 1:25 AM

[quote]I've never heard anyone say that Aretha gave a great all-in performance. Never.

Aretha in the late 60's early 70's was quite good. Her Fillmore West and Amazing Grace concerts are nothing short of amazing. But somewhere around the mid 70's, she started phoning in her shows and performances. She got better within the last decade.

by Anonymousreply 132March 25, 2019 1:30 AM

R130 LOL! You're right of course, but again, we wanted to see Toni Braxton. We didn't know she finked out until we got there!

by Anonymousreply 133March 25, 2019 1:46 AM

Aretha didn't phone it in. She screamed it in. Most overrated singer. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 134March 25, 2019 1:49 AM

I saw Aretha in the last decade of her life twice and sh was great.

by Anonymousreply 135March 25, 2019 1:50 AM

Anyone who looked at Aretha saw her twice.

by Anonymousreply 136March 25, 2019 1:58 AM

R14 ditto. Boring pretentious twat bitching about not having a stool to sing from. In opposition, Emmylou put on a great show from the same stage despite playing in the pouring rain.

by Anonymousreply 137March 25, 2019 1:59 AM

Grateful Dead at MSG with Bruce Hornsby - the only concert I've seen where the fans upstaged the performer. I never liked their music and I think jam bands are self indulgent; They played way too quietly and had no stage presence.

by Anonymousreply 138March 25, 2019 5:12 AM

^^Agree. Dylan & Grateful Dead in the late 80s.

by Anonymousreply 139March 25, 2019 5:19 AM

Nenah Cherry. She was the IT girl because of Buffalo Stance. I think it was at the Roxy in LA. She was doing a small venue tour in support of the record. She was clueless as a performer and appeared to have zero talent. The tour was cancelled as a result and the record company made up the Lyme Disease story to try to salvage her reputation.

by Anonymousreply 140March 25, 2019 7:53 AM

This thread has provided some great replies. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 141March 25, 2019 8:01 AM

I remembered another one, which I've posted on the DL before:

In my teens, I was a big Betty Buckley fan. When she came to my hometown I naturally attended.

Apparently at the time (early 2000s) Betty Lynn had a stalker. I assume the stalker followed her to all her performances. I had a seat in the balcony and noticed a woman behind me cheering a little too ... enthusiastically, shall we say. It was painfully noticeable.

After the show, they set up a table in the theater lobby. I got in line for an autograph and a picture with Betty Lynn. I noticed a woman standing off to the side, not in line, in the shadows. It was obvious from the interactions between Betty Lynn's handlers and theater security that this woman was a problem -- I recognized her as the woman from the balcony. She seemed to be waiting for a more personal interaction that the rest of us waiting our turn in line.

I don't know how the situation played out, because after I got my autograph and picture, I left. But it kind of ruined an otherwise wonderful night for me.

(The performance itself was wonderful.)

by Anonymousreply 142March 25, 2019 8:08 AM

Kristeen Young, hard to endure as an opening act. Shrill.

by Anonymousreply 143March 25, 2019 12:54 PM

When I was a college theater queen, Ethel Merman came to town with one of her evenings performed with the local symphony. She made money in her later years with these short-term commitments. One day of rehearsa. One day of performance. Fly home the next day. Her performance was tremendous. She really did have presence that filled a theater, but was undetectable to a camera. She willed herself to be thrilling and it worked.

She appeared the day before the concert at the local Peaches Records. From 2 pm to 3 pm, she would sign recordings purchased at Peaches, only, and copies of her recent autobiography. You could bring your own copy of the book, or you could buy one from the bottom who accompanied her. I, of course, was there at 1:30, as I did not want to be at the end of the line and miss my one chance to meet Ethel Merman.

It turned out that the entire world did not quite share my 20 year old's zeal. There was no line. I didn't think Ethel Merman was not that popular anymore, but concluded that the event had been cancelled. The manager explained the show would go on. "She's in the stockroom now, waiting to start."

I peeked through the window in the swinging door to the stockroom and there she was, sitting on a case of records, looking at her watch, counting the minutes. At 2 p.m., she got up and strode onto the sales floor and sat at the table. She sat down, said to the first person in line, "Whatca got for me to sign? What's your name?" She signed and handed it back to the guy, then looked past him at the next person. And so it went. No photos. No chit chat. Nothin'. It was announced she would sign and sign she did. When there was a break in the line she sipped from a cup of water and sat and waited. When 3 p.m. came, there were still a few people in line. Ethel stood up, "Okay, sorry folks. It's 3 p.m. Gotta go. I'm singing tomorrow and I've got to go back to my hotel and do my hair. Good bye!" And she was gone.

The concert was magnificent, but the book signing may have been the better lesson in show biz.

by Anonymousreply 144March 25, 2019 1:00 PM

Sia. I knew she wasn’t going to the face the audience but a 2 hour show with very little connection with the artist made for a strangely cold experience. I keep forgetting I even went. She also didn’t play any of her old music which is much higher in quality than what she puts out now.

by Anonymousreply 145March 25, 2019 1:32 PM

Japan. So back in the 80s. Really loved the band but live it was like watching paint dry. Mick Karn’s bass and movements and Steve Janssen’s drumming were great but David Sylvian had zero presence and seemed bored with it all.

by Anonymousreply 146March 25, 2019 1:48 PM

The Power Station in 1985 with OMD. It was unknown to me that Robert Palmer quit the band and was replaced by Micheal Des Barres. An underwhelming concert as the replacement vocalist gave the band a completely different sound. And OMD was boring as hell and didn't fit the bill.

by Anonymousreply 147March 25, 2019 2:06 PM

Rihanna....zero talent bitch who does anal for anyone higher up in the industry. How else to explain how this tone deaf lip synching cunt has a career. Worst concert ever.

by Anonymousreply 148March 25, 2019 2:11 PM

How do you explain even deciding to go see her, r148? I KNOW I have no business going to a concert by her.

by Anonymousreply 149March 25, 2019 2:13 PM

R148 did not attend a Rihanna concert

by Anonymousreply 150March 25, 2019 2:37 PM

R148 I never understood her appeal.

by Anonymousreply 151March 25, 2019 2:45 PM

r148 is obviously a troll

by Anonymousreply 152March 25, 2019 2:49 PM

Oh yes I did r50 much to my regret. She sucked.

by Anonymousreply 153March 25, 2019 3:46 PM

I can’t recall the name of the music festival but I believe it was in ‘96 and a Boston radio station was hosting it.

Anyways, almost every band playing that day were just awful. By far the worst was Sonic Youth. I’m pretty sure they had no idea that they were on stage or even playing together as a band at the time. Initially, I wasnt thrilled to see The Presidents of the United States of America but they were great.

by Anonymousreply 154March 25, 2019 3:51 PM

Taylor Swift sounds awful live. She relies heavily on backing tracks for most songs, but when she tries to sing live on slower songs, she sounds wonky and off-key. She does have stage presence though.

by Anonymousreply 155March 25, 2019 3:53 PM

Fabian, Bobby Rydell and Frankie Avalon: The Golden Boys of Summer. Last year at a casino.

Fabian was dreadful. Cannot sing. At all. I think he has no money and Bobby and Frankie feel sorry for him.

Bobby Rydell sounded really good. Very personable despise hobbling along with a walking cane (he also had a liver transplant and kidney transplant)

Frankie Avalon didnt have an overly great voice but put on a great show. The little old ladies were screaming away.

by Anonymousreply 156March 25, 2019 4:05 PM

Saw The Pretenders open for The B52’s around ‘96 at Radio City Music Hall. The B52’s were terrible - that kooky off-key thing they did apparently needs lots of studio help - they were a screechy mess. The B52’s were amazing live - they sounded fantastic & had tons of energy that night. My esteem for both bands did a 180 that evening.

by Anonymousreply 157March 25, 2019 4:11 PM

Obviously I meant to say The Pretenders were amazing live. It’s time for the Rest Home.

by Anonymousreply 158March 25, 2019 4:12 PM

Chrissie Hynde & Pretenders -stopped the show, told everyone to Shut the Fuck Up

by Anonymousreply 159March 25, 2019 4:15 PM

Helen Lawson. “Helen Does Gershwin” at the Latin Casino! What a bust. She had gained a significant amount of weight, she was hoarse from going on a bender the previous day and instead of singing, she rambled on about her honeymoon on the SS LIBERTE with her third husband, and how she came from the ship’s beauty salon, returned to her suite, only to find her husband, naked from the waist up, being fucked by their cabin steward.

Then she downed a glass of champagne, broke wind, and passed out onstage. Her black maid came out and dragged her offstage by her ankles.

I was so disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 160March 25, 2019 4:15 PM

I did see Zeppelin live in 1973, and what I regret about it is that I didn't have earplugs!

My ears rang for two days after the show. Seriously. I don't know how those guys maintained any sort of hearing in their advancing age, and their tinnitus must be off the charts!

by Anonymousreply 161March 25, 2019 4:18 PM

I went to a Rihanna concert and thought it was Wil Smith on stage.

by Anonymousreply 162March 25, 2019 4:27 PM

I've posted this before but since there are so many Aretha references, I'll post again. Shortly after her hit single "Until You Come Back To Me" where she was quite thin, Aretha packed on the pounds again and seemingly didn't know it. I saw her at the Riviera in Vegas. She started the show in a skin tight red sequined mini skirt which was cut almost down to the belly button and had a slit in front almost to her cooch. She faked her way through some hits and then left the stage for a costume change. The band played for about twenty minutes in what sounded like a jam session. Then Aretha made her grand entrance wearing a bra top with criss crossing cups supporting those oversized watermelons and flesh colored tights which made her look like she was naked. The audience literally screamed when she came out. She finished off the ensemble with a masquerade mask on a stick which led to everyone saying as they left "I thought she going to say "trick or treat?". I don't necessarily regret the experience because it gave me a great story to tell but it was very uncomfortable seeing someone like Aretha making a spectacle of herself, having her own fans laugh at her and showing so little performance skill.

by Anonymousreply 163March 25, 2019 4:35 PM

I saw Aretha live. All I could focus on were those huge, terrible tits!

by Anonymousreply 164March 25, 2019 4:46 PM

Rihanna is a good singer with good songs but just isn't a natural performer. Just because you stick wild costumes on her doesn't suddenly make her a stage animal. She's so stiff. (although getting better).

Beyonce, on the other hand, has a boring voice and sings boring songs but can light up a stage.

by Anonymousreply 165March 25, 2019 4:55 PM

R160. The Latin Casino. I'm from that area too.

by Anonymousreply 166March 25, 2019 6:16 PM

Thanks r144...we saw her at the Hollywood Bowl with our parents. She was fabulous! WE turned and asked our mother if they could hear Ethel in the back rows and she replied: "They can probably hear her in heaven!"

by Anonymousreply 167March 25, 2019 7:27 PM

A teenage fan of Betty Buckley? You are the gayest thing ever. Ever. I mean that with all due respect. It's not every gayling that could have asked their dad for money for Betty Buckley concert tickets.

by Anonymousreply 168March 25, 2019 9:49 PM

Diana Ross. She brought the glamor and the costume changes but she only half sang most of her biggest hits and told us when we should and couldn't clap.

by Anonymousreply 169March 25, 2019 10:23 PM

Grace Jones always had that pattern. She would take bookings for club appearances and give nothing. Late, lazy, etc. I don't know what anyone expected anyway - no band no sound no lighting etc. That's what you got - shit.

But when you bought a ticket for her, in a theatre - wow.

I think it's generally underrecognized that Grace had a real musicality - that she was a musician, besides her misc icon statuses.

by Anonymousreply 170March 25, 2019 10:35 PM

Depeche Mode at Astroworld in the late 80s. They really weren't the problem, the venue and crowd were. We were in the field behind the seated area, the two separated by a drop and a railing. The other spectators in the field decided to rush the railing, and we got swept up in the mass of bodies. My feet were barely touching the ground. I was so pleased too when the lighters came out. Yes, everyone, let's set ourselves on fire! Didn't happen, thankfully, but man was I glad when that was over.

by Anonymousreply 171March 25, 2019 10:38 PM

Since people are mentioning The Pretenders and how good they were in concert, I'll also chime in that I saw them in the '80s and was blown away by Chrissie Hynde's voice.

by Anonymousreply 172March 25, 2019 10:54 PM

I regret going to a GG Alin performance in the 80s. He really did shit on stage.

by Anonymousreply 173March 25, 2019 10:57 PM

When I was in my early twenties, I saw Liza and she put on an amazing show. I went to see Jane Olivor several times and she made you feel warm inside with her voice. Then I went to see Diana Ross and all I saw was self-adulation, an over-produced production, but no warmth, no sincerity, and very little singing. It was a shock.

by Anonymousreply 174March 25, 2019 11:08 PM

"I don't regret it, but I saw Johnny Winter a couple years before his death. He had zero stage presence. Didn't interact with the audience in any capacity."

"Interacting with the audience" wasn't his style. He was too busy playing the hell out of his guitar and he never lost his ability to do that. And he had terrible eyesight his entire life; his lack of vision didn't affect his playing at all. Johnny Winter was a rock legend, always was.

by Anonymousreply 175March 25, 2019 11:10 PM

"I love you! Don't touch me!"

by Anonymousreply 176March 25, 2019 11:16 PM

I don't regret it, but the only time I saw someone who I felt sad for was Judy Collins in her 70s. Her voice was in and out and she had to read the lyrics of her hit songs. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see her live though.

by Anonymousreply 177March 25, 2019 11:21 PM

don't you mean hit song?

by Anonymousreply 178March 25, 2019 11:26 PM

Boston back in the 80s. I love that band and know every one of their songs but they just came out and lip synced. I mean, they must have played the actual records because the songs were in the same order and there was a 2 second pause in between songs just like the albums. No banter , no hello, no goodbye, no speaking, no nothing.

Pink Floyd, also back in the 80s. It was at a stadium in Florida during monsoon/hurricane season. It was pouring, freezing rain and nowhere to take cover. It felt like I was getting stabbed by a million needles throughout the whole concert; I was drenched and shivering. I couldn't even keep my eyes open to see them.

by Anonymousreply 179March 25, 2019 11:35 PM

I hear that Van Morris is mean and miserable live.

by Anonymousreply 180March 26, 2019 12:33 AM

KISS 1979. I was a Freshman in High School and none of my friends (other closet gays and girls) would go with me so my parents wouldn't let me go. Then in 1980 and 1981 they didn't tour in U.S. (or at all) and then Peter Criss left and they took off the makeup.

It was The Return of Kiss / Dynasty tour and I was so obsessed. And then poof - the eighties hit and it was all gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181March 26, 2019 12:42 AM

Dionne Warwick on a double bill with Joel Grey in Vegas. Grey was great, so enthusiastic, always smiling. This was right after Cabaret and although the audience was there to see Warwick, he got a standing ovation after his act. Warwick was in her typical foul mood and the audience didn't go for it after Grey. She started demanding they clap and got a lukewarm response. She sang well but her stern demeanor made everyone uncomfortable. She did not return for the final bow with Grey.

by Anonymousreply 182March 26, 2019 12:47 AM

I saw Karen Black in a cabaret show in the 90s and she was an absolute loon, but my lord was it camptastic.

There were these two women sitting in the front row carrying on an intense conversation during one of La Black's dramatic ballads. Karen was clearly annoyed, and she dropped the microphone from her mouth and stared the women down with her crossed eyes as the pianist played on. The women were still deep in conversation and Karen snapped, "Don't let my singing get in the way of your conversation."

That whole night was like a fever dream that I'll never forget.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183March 26, 2019 12:56 AM

In 1969 I saw Sly and the Family Stone who were amazing but Jackie Wilson opened for them and he wasn't the sound I wanted while tripping.

by Anonymousreply 184March 26, 2019 12:58 AM

Bette Midler. Every other song was a sad ballad. Stopped the energy every time. My friend fell asleep.

by Anonymousreply 185March 26, 2019 2:16 AM

I've seen U2 three times and they just keep getting worse i love their music but they just suck live, should probably fire their sound guy.

by Anonymousreply 186March 26, 2019 2:37 AM

Van Morrison in the 90's. He stood to the side with his giant black brimmed hat pulled down over his eyes. His back up singer sang most of his songs and Van had no interaction with the audience. Never again

I've seen U2 many times and they are always amazing.

by Anonymousreply 187March 26, 2019 2:54 AM

I saw Billy Ray Cyrus at Austin Aqua Fest a long time ago. It was when “Achy Breaky Heart” was a hit, and it made me cringe. I was 18 and I just wanted to get away from that stage as quickly as possible.

by Anonymousreply 188March 26, 2019 3:23 AM

because I liked their pop rock hits and personas I went to both Pat Benatar and Cyndi Lauper's blues tours and they were both awful

c

by Anonymousreply 189March 26, 2019 4:46 AM

Is this thread about who you regret seeing or who you regret not seeing? I can’t figure out if the OP is a typo

by Anonymousreply 190March 26, 2019 4:49 AM

[quote]The Police in their prime were a snooze. Much better when they reunited on their “Let’s Cash In” tour long after they stopped recording.

I saw The Police over 25 times, I was a huge fan. I saw them at CBGBs, The Bottom Line, The Diplomat Hotel, Capitol Theater, MSG, The Ritz, Brendan Byrne Area, My Father's Place etc... through Shea Stadium. They were always amazing. Guess you saw them on an off night. They were always high energy, they always sounded better live than on vinyl. Stewart Copeland is one of the world's best drummers.

by Anonymousreply 191March 26, 2019 5:09 AM

R190, you are currently in the "Who Do You Regret Seeing?" thread.

by Anonymousreply 192March 26, 2019 5:14 AM

r190 Here is a link to the "regret not seeing" thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193March 26, 2019 5:15 AM

Four or five years ago my ex and I drove to Irvine (we live in LA) to see one of my idols: Bob Dylan. I was so thrilled. My Morning Jacket and Wilco opened and both were fantastic.

Dylan comes on and refuses to play any of the scores of songs the audience knew. And, because his voice was just gravel, no could understand his lyrics - which is, of course, why we all love Dylan to begin with. Bad music, terrible voice, no lyrics, no songs we knew, zero banter. Worst show ever.

Finally, after about 45 minutes, the vast majority of the audience just left. It was too terrible and, worse, boring.

Conversely, a good friend had extra ticket to a Lady Gaga show - someone I never gave two shits for. I went just to go. Bitch blew me away! One of the best shows I've ever seen. I'm now a 40 year old "lil monster"!

by Anonymousreply 194March 26, 2019 5:23 AM

George Carlin, in Vegas in the mid-90s. Profanity does not offend me and I probably swear more than a fair number of people, but it was non-stop to the point of being lazy and tiresome. He came across as a mess. A coked up mess?

U2, Joshua Tree tour, only because the sound was horrid (in Austin, Texas). I like the band and the performance was fine, but the sound....

Pretenders, before half the band died, were great. Sometime around 95, a friend was determined that I would go w. her to see Kathleen Battle at the Hollywood Bowl. I went as much for the who-knows-what-could-happen factor as anything, but she was in good spirits, much warm applause and bloody Hell could she sing.

by Anonymousreply 195March 26, 2019 5:35 AM

Fleetwood Mac. During the drug days. Mick Fleetwood did a 20 minute drum solo which took up half the show, while Stevie floated around the stage throwing scarves into the audience. We came for the hits, dammit!

by Anonymousreply 196March 26, 2019 8:00 AM

OMG I saw Natalie Merchant too. Like two years ago. I've LOVED her since her early days. Her voice was in fine form but she was just a drag. She looked like she hadn't showered in days, was fat, could've run a comb through her hair. Her only chat was brief hints between the songs that the world was fucked up for not buying more of her music. She seemed like she really didn't like us. Zero enthusiasm from her or the crowd. Like I say though her voice was as strong as ever but she was just SOOOOOO MICHFEST.

by Anonymousreply 197March 26, 2019 10:19 PM

I regret seeing everyone involved in this sorry-assed production of PYGMALION that played Broadway back in 1987. Peter O'Toole. Amanda Plummer. Sir John Mills. Etc., etc.

No one in the cast seemed to take any of it seriously. The NY Times review linked is not good, but remember that the performance reviewed was a press performance, the theater filled with theater critics. You can imagine what the rest of us got after the critics were out of the way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198March 26, 2019 10:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199March 26, 2019 10:33 PM

"Judy Collins... had to read the lyrics of her hit songs."

That made me giggle. Did you mean song, singular?

by Anonymousreply 200March 26, 2019 11:00 PM

I fucking saw Winger in concert last fall and the lead singer kept using an inhaler in between songs.

by Anonymousreply 201March 26, 2019 11:06 PM

R201 BEST COMMENT!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 202March 26, 2019 11:17 PM

First concert was Bette Midler - I was in junior high, and my aunt was my chaperone - Second was Sonny and Cher at the Ohio State fair....

by Anonymousreply 203March 26, 2019 11:23 PM

But do you regret going, r203?

by Anonymousreply 204March 26, 2019 11:24 PM

I think R201 is going to win this thread. OMG. I would have tossed my pack of ciggies on the stage.

by Anonymousreply 205March 26, 2019 11:39 PM

I saw Blondie in concert in 2017. The people in front of me roared with laughter when Debbie broke into a little dance on stage. I guess they’ve never seen someone that old bust a move.

by Anonymousreply 206March 26, 2019 11:44 PM

The Doors. The infamous Miami concert. Morrison was a drunken, stoned, asshole. None of them played with any skill. When they did play. The promoter removed all the seats so he could pack more people into the venue. We had to sit on a dirty concrete floor. No one even passed around a joint to make things more bearable. Not quite the riot that was written about in the press or the fantastic, mind-blowing, psychedelic happening in the Oliver Stone film. That was pure fiction. A naked girl did run on stage and he did mimic performing fellatio on the bass player. He also flashed his weinie for a microsecond. Mostly he was a sad, pathetic vulgarian.

by Anonymousreply 207March 26, 2019 11:51 PM

[quote]"Judy Collins... had to read the lyrics of her hit songs." That made me giggle. Did you mean song, singular?

She may have covered a few songs, but she still had hits from her versions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208March 26, 2019 11:58 PM

Who in the fuck goes to a Judy Collins concert?!

by Anonymousreply 209March 27, 2019 12:09 AM

R208 that image makes me remember how beautiful Judy Collins was in her prime, and that voice. Even as a little kid, I sensed she was different and special. Mary Travers, too. And also that gal from the Seekers.

by Anonymousreply 210March 27, 2019 12:11 AM

My mom and dad. I knew the words to Send in the Clouds before I was out of third grade. That's how much my mom played that song. Isn't it rich?

by Anonymousreply 211March 27, 2019 12:11 AM

Stephen Stills, r209, but he's deaf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212March 27, 2019 12:12 AM

I’m glad my mom and dad didn’t listen to Judy Collins. They loved Tammy Faye Bakker.

by Anonymousreply 213March 27, 2019 12:23 AM

The Gabor Sisters.

by Anonymousreply 214March 27, 2019 12:29 AM

Jeannie C. Riley, it wasn't long after she had decided to return to "secular" music, in the early 1990s. She came to my town to preform a free concert, so my family went. She was horrible, she might have been drunk, and she couldn't even remember the words to "Harper Valley P.T.A." When you are known for ONE song, you should really know the words to it, she had the lyrics written on papers and then got the papers mixed up. It was a sad mess of a concert. I don't think we stayed all the way to the end.

by Anonymousreply 215March 27, 2019 12:48 AM

How about a fat, Old and drunk Dale Bozzio of Missing Perdons not hot now!

by Anonymousreply 216March 27, 2019 12:57 AM

Here's an offbeat one — Charles Busch. What a reputation, what a disappointment. Couldn't carry a tune and so boring.

What made it worse for him was that Varla Jean Merman had a specialty number in the middle while he changed. She did "Ring Them Bells" while dressed as Quasimodo with Swiss bells stitched up her arms and legs. She'd written specialty lyrics which were hilarious and gave 110% professional energy as a man dressed as a woman dressed as a hunchback playing Swiss bells. The crowd went crazy.

Then Busch came back. Dead silence. The rest of the show continued monotonously. At the curtain call, he didn't invite Varla onstage to say thanks. We assumed she'd left.

... but there she was in the lobby, greeting fans and taking pictures. When I said hi I whispered to her, "You were the only good thing about that show, and he didn't even bring you back for the curtain call."

She smiled sadly and said, "Thank you so much." I think she was disappointed in him too.

by Anonymousreply 217March 27, 2019 1:23 AM

"How about a fat, Old and drunk Dale Bozzio of Missing Perdons not hot now!"

Oh, Lord, I saw them in the late Nineties and it was just pathetic! Dale was just slowly walking back and forth across the stage, tossing her hair and clicking those damn fake nails against the mic. Ugh! And she was SO HOT back in the day! Just look at those gams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218March 27, 2019 1:36 AM

Diana Ross in Vegas, although her shows were better other times I've seen her. She had a cold, but said she didn't want to disappoint her fans. The backup singers did 99% of the work, and for Endless Love the guy sang, and Diana did a pantomime.

Harry Connick Jr. was awful. He went on a 30 mintue jazz riff and half of the audience left.

Oh, and Leslie Anne Warren in a cabaret show. She was singing Losing My Mind and the guy next to us said I think I just lost my dinner.

by Anonymousreply 219March 27, 2019 1:57 AM

I waited an hour after a Sheena Easton concert for her to sign my shit and instead she rushed out of a side door and hopped in the back of a waiting limo. Then she put her window down and threw an empty Diet Coke can at her fans as the limo took off.

by Anonymousreply 220March 27, 2019 2:37 AM

Hey, R214, Eva Gabor was a hard working pro. I suspect you never saw her perform on stage. I did. She was great.

Zsa Zsa was an evil piece of work. But not Eva. She was always well liked by her co-workers, too.

by Anonymousreply 221March 27, 2019 2:44 AM

I saw Hole in the 90's and Courtney Love and her band did a solid set of songs plus two encores, with skilled playing and great vocals. Not once did Courtney vomit on stage, try to beat up an audience member up, or go on a curse-filled drunken rant. I demanded my money back!

by Anonymousreply 222March 27, 2019 2:46 AM

Who gives a fuck about Judy Collins's "hits"? She was an album artist. Her albums were her hits, you rinky-dink, 45 RPM, AM-listening musical swill queens.

by Anonymousreply 223March 27, 2019 2:49 AM

Eartha Kitt, 1984, Saugatck, MI. She had some sort of dance "hit", performed four songs and was gone. In her defense, it was a horrible venue so I guess I don't blame her.

by Anonymousreply 224March 27, 2019 2:55 AM

I saw the Pretenders once about 10 years ago and Chrissie Hynde did act like an asshole right off the bat. After the first song, she stopped the show and demanded folks stop taking pics of her. She threatened to walk if people didn't stop. Once she calmed down it was a good show. But, that has forever changed my opinion of her. After all, by that time she was nearly 60, so I'd think she'd be happy anyone wanted her pic. Life is too short to deal with such divas.

by Anonymousreply 225March 27, 2019 3:01 AM

For R68:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226March 27, 2019 3:28 AM

Our first husband , a hot hung fishfucking German/Italian who was a heavy duty jazz fan/sax player, took us to see Miles Davis. We remember very little of it since we were heavily under the influence of Miss Boozette at the time. We do recall that Miles seemed to have an arrogant and aloof attitude. We were bored by the whole performance and glad when it was over. (We also had a dear fishfriendeldersister in LA who said that she had been boned by Miles)

by Anonymousreply 227March 27, 2019 9:30 AM

R217 - I am surprised about Charles Busch. I know he is no singer but I heard his anecdotes were funny. He has spent the last few years being a cabaret performer so I figured if he keeps being paid people must think he is worth it.

by Anonymousreply 228March 27, 2019 10:36 AM

I interviewed with Judy Collins in her apt. on the Upper West Side in the 90s. She came into the room with a turban on and her famous eyes were distracting because one never seemed to focus and was wonky. I thought she was professional but just a shade away from completely neurotic and crazy. She still performs in NYC occasionally. The one song of her's I like is her own composition "Someday Soon."

by Anonymousreply 229March 27, 2019 6:34 PM

I interviewed to be her assistant.

by Anonymousreply 230March 27, 2019 6:36 PM

I forgot about skank whore the ex Mrs. Cobain. She wandered up on to the stage as the audience was leaving an outdoor venue where her worthless self had "performed" in a festival lineup. I had been there simply because of some of the other acts. She was as high as a cobra in a trance and demanded that the sound crew, who was dismantling the stage, STOP and put it back together because SHE WASN'T FINISHED!!!

Why do people like her still walk the earth?

by Anonymousreply 231March 27, 2019 6:42 PM

Liza...we we were given the tickets but I was so embarrassed for her.. .

by Anonymousreply 232March 27, 2019 8:06 PM

Elton John with full back up band is fantastic.

Elton solo with piano is the most boring concert I have ever been to

by Anonymousreply 233March 27, 2019 8:33 PM

"Elton solo with piano is the most boring concert I have ever been to."

An entire concert of him solo with piano might be boring, but there are some brilliant performances of him singing one of his hits accompanied only by his piano, very lovely and simplistic versions of songs like "Your Song" and "Tiny Dancer."

by Anonymousreply 234March 27, 2019 8:38 PM

Elton is one of the few performers from the 70s who still has his voice.

by Anonymousreply 235March 27, 2019 8:44 PM

Biggest disappointment: Aretha. She phoned it in for 1/2 hour and then let her teenaged son rap for the rest of the show.

Scariest: Rickie Lee Jones. Saw her in a small venue a couple years ago. She came on st age, complained bout the theater, lighting, sound, etc. she was really cranky. After one song she screamed, “I can’t take it!” And left the stage. We all politely waited in our seats (we’re Midwesterners), and she finally returned, totally unapologetic but then performed for 3 hours.

by Anonymousreply 236March 27, 2019 8:51 PM

Lucille Ball in Wildcat

by Anonymousreply 237March 27, 2019 8:55 PM

Circa 2002 the Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Palladium on Hollywood.

Something was wrong with John Frusciante's monitor- he kept storming off stage. At one point, they were offstage for about 10 minutes, and came back and finished a very short show. Sucks when that happens.

by Anonymousreply 238March 27, 2019 8:55 PM

I was dragged by my old client to a Jim Bailey cabaret show in Palm Springs. Of course, I was the youngest one in attendance by 30 years. He advertised that on that night he would be performing as Barbra Streisand. Well, he walked out as Judy Garland. You could hear half the audience moan, "Where's Barbra???"

He was beyond horrible and the audience was pissed off because they came to see Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 239March 27, 2019 9:40 PM

Little Richard during his last tour. He had a piano on stage, but when he came out he made a big show about how he wasn't pleased by the condition of the piano, so they quickly set up an electronic keyboard for him to play instead. It was quickly apparent that he wasn't really playing, and the keyboard was just a prop and the whole thing was a charade.. Either it was pre-recorded, or one of several keyboard players in his band was responsible for what we were hearing. I think he did his own singing, but the whole show was lifeless and a little sad.

by Anonymousreply 240March 27, 2019 9:54 PM

Wynonna Fucking Judd. Saw her at a casino in Michigan. It was after some big Judd family drama...her husband being arrested for pedophilia, I think. Initially I thought the recent drama accounted for her dead soul, but doesn’t that family have something ridiculously dramatic happen to it every goddamned day?

by Anonymousreply 241March 27, 2019 10:39 PM

Joni Mitchell in the late 70s--just beyond her peak. No connection with the audience. Obviously didn't do a crowd pleaser as her encore.

by Anonymousreply 242March 27, 2019 11:17 PM

Isn't Joni and assburger? How much connection can you expect?

by Anonymousreply 243March 27, 2019 11:19 PM

Shawn Mendes. There was no music at all. He just pulled down his pants and fingered himself. Who needs to see that?

by Anonymousreply 244March 27, 2019 11:29 PM

And the audience (vidience?) wasn't invited to join, r244?

by Anonymousreply 245March 27, 2019 11:31 PM

"Scariest: Rickie Lee Jones."

She's a nut case. Always was. I remember a review in the Rolling Stone for a show she did; it was some time after her first album, which was a huge success. The guy said she was acting like weird, rubbing up against members of her band and saying something to the effect of how she always wanted to be a stipper and maybe would incorporate it into her act. The reviewer still had hope things would get better and muttered "maybe she'll pull it off" and someone in earshot said "the show or her dress?" Later he did say "nice things" started to happen. But it sounded pretty dismal to me.

She won a Grammy for Best New Artist and came onstage acting high as a kite. She took the Grammy and went right back into the audience instead of going offstage. It so so weird. I wonder what she was on. Later in her life she became a heroin addict. She was definitely on something that night.

by Anonymousreply 246March 28, 2019 12:12 AM

Rickie had huge substance issues back then. She's been great in recent years

by Anonymousreply 247March 28, 2019 2:22 AM

Joni Mitchell-she stopped in the middle of a song because people were slow dancing and fucking yelled at the couple and said it was disrespectful to her and they needed to sit down and listen. It was bizarre.

Also, I am a fan of Bianca Del Rio, but I saw her live right after her win on RPDR. She was very sweet at the meet and greet but her jokes were not good.

by Anonymousreply 248March 28, 2019 2:38 AM

I saw David Bowie in 2004. I don't think the audience was half as impressed with him as he was with himself. Pretentious unpleasant show. We left early

by Anonymousreply 249March 28, 2019 2:52 AM

Lucinda Williams (a friend had an extra ticket) in Seattle. Drunk as a skunk - terrible concert.

by Anonymousreply 250March 28, 2019 2:55 AM

I saw GG Allin as a teenager. Left the show two songs in, and was pissed off at my best friend for persuading me to give him $8 for a ticket.

by Anonymousreply 251March 28, 2019 3:10 AM

The Fabulous Miss Peggy Lee would sometimes stop the song if she detected a mistake and scold her musicians with "Now we're going to do it over the RIGHT way"

by Anonymousreply 252March 28, 2019 9:00 AM

Ricky Martin had Jessica Simpson open for him, had to be 15 years ago. She comes out and apologizes ahead of time that she has a cold and her doctor told her not to perform but she was going to anyway....and she did maybe 3 songs, kept drinking water and coughing. It was obvious she was no singer and all this b.s. was to hide that. At the end she broke down crying and they kept the spotlight on her. Finally someone took her by the arm and off the stage. Zero applause.

by Anonymousreply 253March 28, 2019 10:01 AM

[quote]Then there was the time Grace Jones was 4 or 5 hours late for a club performance, came on around 4 am, and did three songs

She was banned for life from the Saint for pulling that same stunt and getting some patronsvinjured when her body guards violently shoved them out of the way for no reason other than to open a path for the diva.

[quote]Billy Joel at MSG in 2016. He was clearly there to collect a paycheck and get the hell back to Long Island.

Same thing when I saw him exactly 10 years prior at the same venue. Vodka on stage. And all was forgiven after Piano Man as well. But I remember wanting to go home (only four blocks away) by the second song.

Add me to the list of those disappointed by Dolly and Aretha. Chaka, Neil, and Whitney I expected. But for all the humble Dolly verbiage and all those sweaty pictures I’ve seen of Rere singing live, I would have thought their shows would’ve been a great experience. No wonder Re demanded to be paid cash and in advance.

“Músico pago no toca bien”

by Anonymousreply 254March 28, 2019 10:57 AM

Is R211 parody???

by Anonymousreply 255March 28, 2019 11:14 AM

[quote]. I knew the words to Send in the Clouds

LOL

by Anonymousreply 256March 28, 2019 11:46 AM

Nancy Kerrigan on The Tom Collins tour after her knee whacking. The floodlights were on her and she'd fall, then give a grimaced fake smile. She was underwhelming. She would not sign autographs either for all the little girls who swarmed to her.

by Anonymousreply 257March 28, 2019 12:00 PM

I attended the "Night of 100 Stars" performance during which Aretha sang "Freeway of Love." Her performance of it is not on YouTube, so maybe it never even made the final edit into the broadcast. She sang it well enough. It was only the one number, after all, and it was for television. Performers usually take it seriously for a national broadcast.

Her dress, however, was giving a performance of its own. The 'gown' appeared to have been picked up for $20 on 14th Street. It was a bright white empire waist creation. The top of the gown barely contained Aretha's massive tits and was supported by spaghetti straps that dug into her ample flesh. From her tits down, the dress was almost entirely open in the front. It overlapped a bit, just under her tits, but that was it. Every time she took a step, the skirt opened and a massive black thigh would flash. This dress would have stood out on a beach. But on stage at Radio City Music Hall, it would have been inexplicable, except that it was worn by the Queen of Soul and her sartorial tastes were well known.

I though we were going to get a beaver shot, but we did not. Perhaps the folks in the first 10 rows did. Had the dress been on Rihanna, it would have been inappropriate for national television. But on Aretha, it was unforgettable. And not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 258March 28, 2019 12:12 PM

Saw Prince during his Lovesexy tour. The show was supposed to be in-the-round, but 90% of the time, it was geared toward one direction, and it wasn't the side I was sitting on.

Went to see the Indigo Girls at a small outdoor venue (no, I'm not a lesbian or female), seated in the second row. As soon as they came onstage, the first row of lesbians stood up, along with others who came down from the back. For the entire show, I had people standing in front of me, with one couple making out without taking a break. I got tired of standing and left early.

by Anonymousreply 259March 28, 2019 12:29 PM

Did anyone see Bette's DOLLY? From the youtubes it looked like she lacked energy.

by Anonymousreply 260March 28, 2019 7:50 PM

She can't act. She can entertain, but she can't act. Dolly requires both. Avoided it.

by Anonymousreply 261March 28, 2019 8:17 PM

Channing can't act or sing and she made her career on Dolly R261.

by Anonymousreply 262March 28, 2019 8:29 PM

Willie Nelson and Ray Charles. Also poor Phyllis Hyman near the end...

by Anonymousreply 263March 28, 2019 8:41 PM

Willie does this irritating half-spoken thing now and ends every line on a downward inflection. It's weird. He sounds completely over performing but he's always on the road.

by Anonymousreply 264March 29, 2019 2:35 AM

I did see Diana Ross last year and it was one of the best concerts I have ever seen. She did all her hits with enthusiasm (and I mean c’mon, she must have sung them 100,000 times in her career) and she was lovely all around. So glad I got to see her.

On the negative side, I fell asleep during a Laurie Anderson performance. So boring!

by Anonymousreply 265March 29, 2019 10:42 AM

Blue Man Group. I know it's not a vocal group, except for a guest vocalist, now and then. They were just so bad. It was pure noise and so obviously completely prerecorded. They were so out of sync. What seemed so novel and new at home on TV was just stupid in person.

by Anonymousreply 266March 29, 2019 11:05 AM

Garbage. Shirley Manson is not just a bad singer, but also a phony with zero stage presence. Was embarrassed for the band.

by Anonymousreply 267March 29, 2019 11:53 AM

r265 = Lou Reed

by Anonymousreply 268March 29, 2019 12:21 PM

@R229 . FYI, 'Someday Soon' was written by Ian Tyson (of Ian & Sylvia fame), not Judy Collins.

by Anonymousreply 269March 29, 2019 12:24 PM

That's just not true, R262. Channing's voice is unlike any other, but it suits her. So, for musical theater, she gets a pass. She never tried recording opera. She never tried singing an evening of jazz. She did musical comedy, and not musical theater. She stayed strictly in musical comedy and there, her voice was a gift.

As for acting, she stayed in her lane. "Hello, Dolly!" lives or dies on those monologues in which Dolly speaks to Horace. Every night, Channing nailed it. Midler... not so much. I don't think anyone was begging for Channing's Mother Courage, and she wisely stayed away. But she always invested her comic characters with great intelligence and heart. And that's acting.

by Anonymousreply 270March 29, 2019 12:27 PM

Bob Dylan.

by Anonymousreply 271March 29, 2019 12:42 PM

Bruce Springsteen at this peak around 1980. It never ended. It was too loud, he kissed Clarence - it was all just slurry.

by Anonymousreply 272March 29, 2019 12:51 PM

I thought it was too good of a song for Judy to have written it, but I think I read somewhere online that she had written "Someday Soon" - thanks for that.

by Anonymousreply 273March 29, 2019 7:43 PM

R270=Carol writing from that great toilet in the sky.

by Anonymousreply 274March 29, 2019 8:49 PM

Second on Laurie Anderson. At the last show I saw she was talking about her dog through a vocoder. "I was dreeeeeaaaming about my pooooooodle...." Mundane, uninspired borderline frau material and sluggish delivery!

Keith Richards cannot play guitar anymore. Maybe the Stones are better off hanging up the tours.

by Anonymousreply 275March 30, 2019 11:03 PM

Morrissey. Hands down. The worst concert ever. He performed for about 40 mins and men kept jumping on the stage, getting kicked out then being let back in only to jump onstage again. He had only two guitar players and a drummer. He sounded like shit. I drove two hours to see him and wish I had those 2 hours back.

by Anonymousreply 276March 30, 2019 11:12 PM

Ruth Buzzi. Horrible gas and vag odor.

by Anonymousreply 277March 31, 2019 6:47 AM

I kinda lost respect for Laurie when I learned she was a massive enabler of Lou Reed r275

by Anonymousreply 278March 31, 2019 9:15 AM

Cate Blanchett was amazing in ‘Gross und Klein’ on stage, so a friend and I said we’d see her next outing. Which was ‘The Maids’, with Isabelle Huppert and Elizabeth Debicki. She was HORRIBLE. Forced, hammy. We saw her again in ‘The Present’ hoping that was just a bad night and she wasn’t good in that either.

Bob Dylan and Lou Reed were both awful in similar ways. Bob just seemed to be fiddling with guitar tunings and grumbling a bit, the band played noisily and I feel like he only actually did his vocals on 30% of the setlist, the rest just letting the noise play. Lou Reed just smoked and laughed into the microphone while his band also did most of the leg work, but I think at least he was actively trolling us. I saw Cat Power and she was somewhere in between.

Fleetwood Mac and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were fine musically, but totally milquetoast and uncharismatic. No talking in between the songs, no stage presence. Just sleepwalking their way through their hits. PJ Harvey wasn’t just ‘playing the hits’ but she was still very boring.

I saw Morrissey once and can second that it was a really short set, he sounded vocally shot, and kept arguing and signalling with the sound people to turn something up or down. I think he cut the show short because he was in a foul mood that night, not caring that people had paid good money to see him.

Some artists who I was surprised I DIDN’T regret seeing live (because they have such erratic reputations) were Lauryn Hill, Grace Jones, and Courtney Love. Lauryn was on time and even though her hits were a bit sped-up, she sang them beautifully (and even rapped the Fugees bandmates’ verses). Nice inspiring words for the crowd too.

The Grace Jones show was theatrical and brilliant, the woman is a real 'performance artist' (when she wants to be, I guess). Courtney Love was hysterically funny, played a really long show with two encores (hits, rarities, album favourites, b-sides, covers), and super charismatic. She could probably do stand-up comedy. I was honestly expecting her to come out and croak a few songs and smoke in our faces so it was a pleasant surprise.

by Anonymousreply 279March 31, 2019 11:42 AM

Back in the '70's, I saw Lauren Bacall in APPLAUSE. She was 45 and beautiful and she radiated stardom. 30 years later, I saw her on Broadway in WAITING IN THE WINGS. She was a bloated, bitter, old hag who no longer had anything to offer and didn't really even try. Eveyrone on stage performed as if they were professionals in a play, and she just stood there like a black hole sucking in all the energy in the theater, both from the cast and the audience.

It was no way to end a very notable career. I'm sorry I was witness to it.

by Anonymousreply 280March 31, 2019 12:03 PM

Garry Glitter (not) and The Glitter Band at my university auditorium in the early 80's. The Glitters were touring Australia a good decade after the glory days. The band took forever to get on stage, sans Gary, who was "tired and emotional". Most of the audience left when it became clear we were about to be treated to a night of The Glitter Band performing their two hits and instrumental versions of "Rock'nRoll" etc.

On the bright side I got a full frontal view of The Glitter Band's beer bellies and love handles squeezed into the faded splendour of their old glam era stage wear. It was a surreal night.

by Anonymousreply 281March 31, 2019 12:32 PM

Frankie Goes to Hollywood was terrible live and they weren't even live, it was all recorded. the opener Belouis Some was much better. I never thought their song Relax was good and their other material wasn't memorable or distinguishable from it. my friend dragged me to see them and during the concert break Joe Jackson was pissing next to him at the urinal and my friend actually asked him for an autograph. He has written some very good songs that should be classics, so unappreciated.

by Anonymousreply 282March 31, 2019 7:52 PM

"Courtney Love was hysterically funny, played a really long show with two encores (hits, rarities, album favourites, b-sides, covers), and super charismatic. She could probably do stand-up comedy. I was honestly expecting her to come out and croak a few songs and smoke in our faces so it was a pleasant surprise."

What was she doing, a comedy routine? And what "hits" and "album favorites?" And "charismatic?" She's a repulsive skank who would put her leg up on one of the monitors so the audience could get a look at her rancid crotch. Since Courtney Love can't sing and can't play an instrument the only reason to see would be to witness the spectacle of a train wreck. Some people would find it fun to watch her act like a drugged out maniac.

by Anonymousreply 283April 1, 2019 1:46 AM

The Culture Club a few years back. I’ll never go to a retro concert again. It was awful.

by Anonymousreply 284April 1, 2019 1:56 AM

I saw culture club around 2017 r284 and I was blown away at how well Boy George could still sing. To be fair though there were a bunch of 80s support bands before them so perhaps since they only had to perform for a short while rather than for a proper full concert it was easier to pull off.

by Anonymousreply 285April 1, 2019 2:28 AM

saw Culture Club at Radio City with two 80s support bands and they all were bland and pre-recorded. This was maybe 15 years ago and I can't even remember the other two bands but I believe CC came on last so they were the headliners.

by Anonymousreply 286April 1, 2019 6:12 PM

[quote]Boston back in the 80s. I love that band and know every one of their songs but they just came out and lip synced. I mean, they must have played the actual records because the songs were in the same order and there was a 2 second pause in between songs just like the albums. No banter , no hello, no goodbye, no speaking, no nothing.

Funny you should say that. It's been my critique of them for years. I only saw them once, right after the release of their first album in the mid 70's, They were opening for Robin Trower, who I had never even heard of before. I was going strictly for Boston (I was like 15). They literally got up and played the album note for note, as you said. Even as a 15 year old I was like "That's kind of boring." Then this Robin Trower guy came out - and Oh-My-Fucking-God practically blew the arena away. One of the best concerts I have ever attended. Never saw Boston again, but have gone on to see Trower at least a dozen times. In fact, seeing him again in about 3 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 287April 6, 2019 6:29 AM

janet fat ass Jackson.

possibly the worst case of lip syncing ive seen in my life.

people were storming the exit midway thru.

drinks thrown at the stage.

sad display of a once talented bitch.

by Anonymousreply 288April 6, 2019 6:33 AM

R288, you expect a lot for $8.99 with Groupon and a free Baja Fresh gift card,!

by Anonymousreply 289April 6, 2019 6:40 AM

🎻🎵🎼

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290April 6, 2019 7:08 AM

al jolson, in his infamous black face, I guess bak then the humor was different. odd huh, how do splain that?

by Anonymousreply 291April 6, 2019 11:10 AM

James Taylor with Jackson Browne a couple years ago. I went mainly to see Browne, who opened for Taylor. Browne was very good though of course his set was shorter than Taylor’s. I struggled to stay awake during Taylor, and convinced my friends to leave early because he was so boring. I find out the next day Browne came out at the end and they both rocked the joint playing JB’s songs. I was so pissed I missed it. A co-worker the next day tells me that her sister , husband and kids were at the concert—because they used to play James Taylor records for the kids when they were young at bedtime to help them sleep.

by Anonymousreply 292April 6, 2019 11:44 AM

I made the mistake of seeing the Scissor Sisters back in the day when they were at an early peak and had just started playing large concert halls. I wasn't a fan of their music or videos but I did find Jake Shears sexy at the time and thought it would be fun to see a gay band.

Big mistake. The biggest surprise was that they were terrible musicians. I've seen many concerts over the years and I've never seen a group reach that level and be so limited musically. The songs sucked and Jake Shears looked good but had no charisma as a front man. The super young audience (mostly teens and early twenties) ate it up. At the halfway mark I gave up hope that the tide would turn and left. Lesson learned.

by Anonymousreply 293April 6, 2019 12:14 PM

james taylor is and always will be a snooze.

by Anonymousreply 294April 6, 2019 12:14 PM

Damn, r292. I'd be pissed, too. I probably would have left when you did.

by Anonymousreply 295April 6, 2019 12:30 PM

but jake is a fun fuk backstage. takes all cocks, wild hellion.

by Anonymousreply 296April 6, 2019 12:35 PM

R288, a liar. Uses the same tired ass script in every Janet thread. Bitch, we ALL know that you were the loudest one in the audience last week when she received her Rock Hall award.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297April 6, 2019 12:51 PM

I cried when she was heckled....not her fault her bro was a peddy….

by Anonymousreply 298April 6, 2019 4:10 PM

Fortunately, Janet did not perform.

by Anonymousreply 299April 6, 2019 4:54 PM

[quote]I cried when she was heckled

This did not happen.

by Anonymousreply 300April 6, 2019 6:42 PM

Who the fuck leaves concerts before they're over? I just don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 301April 6, 2019 10:26 PM

R301 I agree. I paid and I'm going to sit until the end. If I find I wasn't enjoying it, I just wouldn't stay for any encores.

by Anonymousreply 302April 6, 2019 10:42 PM

If I’m not having fun I will leave early. I’m not that fucking desperate for entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 303April 7, 2019 12:00 AM

only miss Jackson.

was almost trampled to death at the stampede of fans leaving early/getting the hell out.

man she sucked bad

by Anonymousreply 304April 7, 2019 12:57 AM

Lmao!

by Anonymousreply 305April 7, 2019 12:58 AM

Barry White, propped up to a microphone, almost as if tied there, in Frankfurt. Truly like watching a concert by Jabba the Hut.

He died soonafter so it's kind of a good memory, actually.

by Anonymousreply 306April 7, 2019 1:42 AM

the stampede to get out of j Jackson concerts is like a scene from mad magazine, with folks trampling over each other, eyeballs buggin, dyin to get the fuk away from that sound. HELP!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 307April 7, 2019 4:14 AM

I tried several times to leave early, once when Journey was going on stage, and the second time when Heart was going on stage. "OK, let's go" but my friends both times wanted to stay.

by Anonymousreply 308April 7, 2019 4:57 AM

If I’m fucking falling asleep in the middle of a concert, and I don’t give a fuck who is playing, I am outta there. Okay?

by Anonymousreply 309April 7, 2019 8:06 AM

I saw Britney Spears in Vegas and it left me worried for her. It seemed like she was performing with a gun to her head. It was so obvious she didn’t want to be there.

by Anonymousreply 310April 7, 2019 9:33 AM

i was forced to attend a Loverboy concert last summer. I truly regret it.

by Anonymousreply 311April 7, 2019 11:38 AM

Heart has gotten back together and will perform concerts this summer. The drama should be high.

by Anonymousreply 312April 7, 2019 3:22 PM

Cate Blanchett In Uncle Vanya, a few years ago at the Kennedy Center. She looked stunning, but seemed to be in a different play than everyone else. Too mannered. She was playing opposite Hugo Weaving and they didn’t mesh at all.

by Anonymousreply 313April 7, 2019 3:39 PM

Eddie Camacho at the Gaiety. He was bloated and full of bacne. He looked like he hated every second of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314April 7, 2019 4:28 PM

If you've seen one 20 minute drum solo by Mick Fleetwood you've seen them all. Luckily, the second time I saw Fleetwood Mac my sister fell down the stairs about halfway through and I had to take her to the ER.

by Anonymousreply 315April 7, 2019 5:44 PM

Forty Thousand years ago I was dragged to a Grateful Dead concert. Never cared for them. I fell asleep during some long jam and when I awakened they were playing the same song. I was out for a half hour.

by Anonymousreply 316April 7, 2019 6:05 PM

R315, admit it. You pushed your sister.

by Anonymousreply 317April 7, 2019 6:05 PM

Your sister had it coming.

by Anonymousreply 318April 8, 2019 1:57 AM

Ann Miller in 'Sugar Babies'. She could still tap, but she was draggin and scrapin' and slappin' those heels like she was about to drop.

by Anonymousreply 319April 8, 2019 2:48 AM

You take that back, R319!

I LOVED Ann Miller ... and she was FABULOUS in Sugar Babies! Mickey Rooney was the one who was barely scrapin' by.

by Anonymousreply 320April 8, 2019 7:05 AM

An Opera at the Liceu in Barcelona. A British eldersister had an extra ticket and invited us to go along. We left at intermissia lest we fall asleep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321April 8, 2019 8:21 AM

Helen Lawson at The Hollywood Bowl. It wasn't raining that night but her hair was soaked with perspiration.

by Anonymousreply 322April 8, 2019 10:26 AM

The Brady Kids at the Ohio State Fair 1974. They announced the show was canceled but they would continue to record and perform. Maureen and Barry did a duet about first love. Barry croaked but Maureen was pretty good. Susan Olsen did a solo version of Olivia Newton John's I Honesty Love You that was pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 323April 8, 2019 10:47 AM

I was injured in tht stampede to escape miss jacksons concert.

was scarey tryin to git out fore her next song

the noise was excrutiating…

and her flop sweat nd jerri curl grease reached the 18 row!!! STANKY

by Anonymousreply 324April 8, 2019 1:16 PM

r324, lmao

by Anonymousreply 325April 8, 2019 2:13 PM

best show I done ever saw was the atheist bitch: Madelyn murray o hare, in grad skool, omg she cussed and faunched and was a holy terror.. way fun and smart. why don't dey do a big movie bout her, starring jullianne moore and leo di cap

by Anonymousreply 326April 8, 2019 3:37 PM

R325 has poor taste in what she finds funny.

by Anonymousreply 327April 8, 2019 5:48 PM

"best show I done ever saw was the atheist bitch: Madelyn murray o hare, in grad skool, omg she cussed and faunched and was a holy terror.. way fun and smart. why don't dey do a big movie bout her, starring jullianne moore and leo di cap"

One on Netflix starring Melissa Leo and Josh Lucas. Underwhelming. I always thought it'd be an Oscar role too.

by Anonymousreply 328April 8, 2019 6:25 PM

anyone find a chanel black hi heel in that stampede out of the Jackson concert?

I lost one in the surge of folks do get the hell out of there.

please contact me via Variety Magazine

by Anonymousreply 329April 9, 2019 10:05 AM

Is Janet still doing the groupon thing for her concerts?

by Anonymousreply 330April 9, 2019 10:09 AM

no she flat out giving them away at shopping malls and starbucks

by Anonymousreply 331April 9, 2019 10:14 AM

Janet just got inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Meanwhile, the bulk of you are still living in your parents’ basements.

by Anonymousreply 332April 9, 2019 5:55 PM

Some DLers have their parents, especially their Moms, buried in the basement.

by Anonymousreply 333April 9, 2019 8:47 PM

This just in.... Alan Parsons. It is true; I am Bronze Age. With that, I listened to and generally liked Alan Parsons in the 70s and into the 80s. It's a big sound, all orchestral, approaching bombastic and good in small doses. It's also good through high-quality headphones with a head full of weed....

So they were in the area, at a Native American casino. Why not?

Urgh. Rather than add the orchestral stuff via a recording, they took a different approach with the songs, made them more straightforward rock/pop, which didn't come off so well. They had none of the original singers and the person who handled most of the vocals was weak.

The venue itself, a ballroom in the casino's hotel, was just a room with a small stage and full of small, shitty and uncomfortable chairs linked together, about 25-30 rows of 30-35 chairs. It's like people worked to create an environment that would suck all the life and energy out of the crowd.

I've seen a lot of shows over the years, struggle to recall one like this one, one that had nothing going for it.

by Anonymousreply 334April 10, 2019 3:45 AM

Damn that’s bad r334z

by Anonymousreply 335April 10, 2019 8:50 AM

R301 R302 - If you can’t get your money back, at least you don’t have to throw more time away.

I have only left one concert early, due to an overly talkative, squirmy-dancey guy next to me in the lawn seating, but Ray LaMontagne’s performance was also not engaging enough to overcome that distraction. I tried to find a spot away from the snake rider, but it was fully packed, so I finally just gave up and went home. Not sure how anyone could get that hyped-up by that music, but to each his own. I saw Ray L a few years later at an indoor venue where I found his performance to be much better.

by Anonymousreply 336April 14, 2019 2:42 PM

Vicky Lawrence. Her one woman show was very nasty.

by Anonymousreply 337April 14, 2019 2:46 PM

I saw Herman's Hermits in the 1960's. I don't regret the experience at all, but I do regret that it's not the sort of thing you can dine out on. No one seems to care.

by Anonymousreply 338April 14, 2019 2:48 PM

I saw Ike & Tina Turner in the 60s. I got drunk and passed out before the show started. Always regretted it.

by Anonymousreply 339April 14, 2019 2:54 PM

I hear Janet's doing a deal with Olive Garden next: spend $40 there and she comes to your table and lipsyncs.

A real step-up from her current tie-in with Panera or Whole Foods or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 340April 14, 2019 2:58 PM

"Vicky Lawrence. Her one woman show was very nasty."

Elaboratia, please.

by Anonymousreply 341April 14, 2019 3:05 PM

It was filled with very nasty jokes and filthy sex stories. I took my mom with me and was embarrassed to be with her hearing that kind of shit that was shocking and not funny.

by Anonymousreply 342April 14, 2019 3:45 PM

I'll never forget Jenny Stewart in Atlantic City circa. 1979. My parents and I went there for a weekend when I was a teenage elderday and she was performing. It was supposed to be a medley of hits she'd introduced in musicals. It started out okay, Jenny's voice was a little croaky with age and the cowl neck disco-era dress she was wearing did not flatter her sagging breasts, but it was mostly held up. The 'tropical makeup' was a little dated but my parents liked it and her afro was all it.

Then after about half and hour and many sips of the whisky she had on the piano she was sitting by to perform she began to start talking to the audience about details of her most recent divorce. It eventually became a therapy session. Then when a musician in the five piece band did something (I can't remember what) to offend her she threw her glass at him. She then had to perform the closing number -- Two-Face Woman -- with broken glass on the stage and no band. She gave it her all. But she didn't want to be there and the backstage tension was evident.

by Anonymousreply 343April 14, 2019 3:54 PM

*Her afro was all IN.

by Anonymousreply 344April 14, 2019 3:55 PM

Charlene. She sang one song over and over again for 90 minutes. Didn't engage the audience once with conversation.

by Anonymousreply 345April 14, 2019 4:27 PM

Lol r345

by Anonymousreply 346April 14, 2019 4:31 PM

Santa Monica Pier 1980 the Eight Is Enough kids/cast performed separately and then one number together. Willie Aames, Grant Goodeeve and Betty Buckley could sing but the embarrassing solo by Adam Rich - trying to be too cutesy poo - was awful. Laurie Walters and Betty Buckley did a rendition of Proud Mary, both trying to out shout each other. Dick Van Patten had the sense to just emcee and not sing.

by Anonymousreply 347April 15, 2019 8:29 AM

@R340 . From a public safety perspective, I'm relieved to hear that Miss Jackson is playing venues with a much smaller audience. This will reduce the possibility of personal injury when the inevitable outward stampede occurs.

by Anonymousreply 348April 15, 2019 12:25 PM

R347 - did Grant Goodeve sing the show's theme song?

by Anonymousreply 349April 15, 2019 1:14 PM

I regret not seein ms Jackson perform fore she turned white....

by Anonymousreply 350April 16, 2019 2:47 AM

R349 he and Betty did and he let everyone know he wrote it in 5 minutes.

Connie Newton Needham did interpretive dance to theme song. She used a gymnastics ring that she placed over her tv sibs at the end.

by Anonymousreply 351April 16, 2019 9:44 AM

I regret not seeing miss Jackson before she turned Japanese....

by Anonymousreply 352April 16, 2019 1:07 PM

R91 so you were hooking up with Nikki Sixx? (or more aptly, Nikki Five-if-that...)

by Anonymousreply 353June 25, 2019 2:13 PM

Van Halen with Sammy Hagar, they started out with Running with the Devil and it did not work without David Lee Roth's vocals

by Anonymousreply 354June 25, 2019 2:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!