Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Act

I’m not feeling it. Not fun or inspired. Patricia Arquette was a hoot in that Showtime miniseries not so much in this.

by Anonymousreply 3112 hours ago

Had you seen the Gypsy Blanchard documentary or followed the case in the news, OP? I like the show, but am not sure how I’d feel if I weren’t already familiar with the story. A lot the lines and scenes are interesting because of the real life background context. I’m not sure I’d find the show interesting without knowing from the beginning that Gypsy’s illnesses were being faked.

I really like the performances - both Rosanna Arquette and Joey King are excellent, although I don’t get much sense of connection from them yet. I’m also impressed by AnnaSophia Robb, who doesn’t overplay her character’s scenes with Gypsy. Chloe Sevigny wasn’t the best choice for her character - she doesn’t seem at all maternal, as if, as the mother of three or four kids, she’s never met a child before. She looks good, though.

by Anonymousreply 103/22/2019

The documentary is a must for us bitches at DL. I think it is getting bette. Joey King is the stand out but her character be so sympathetic ? Nearly impossible for Patricia to top that Ecape mini series but I am warming up to her. The always good Chloe Sevingy is a great foil but it appears on the first episode Dee Dee’s con has worked on her.

by Anonymousreply 203/22/2019

Walking lanesh to pick a daishy--

That could drive a pershon crazhy!

Homemade bread laysh here like lead--

And Polly's peach preshervesh!

Oh pleashe! My nervesh!

by Anonymousreply 303/22/2019

Chloe was the weak link in Russian Doll, too. To me, she’s still a fashion and posing-obsessed twit who lucked into an acting career. The gays were on to her bullshit years ago.

by Anonymousreply 403/22/2019

[quote]I’m not sure I’d find the show interesting without knowing from the beginning that Gypsy’s illnesses were being faked.

Spoiler alert, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 503/22/2019

There are 6 episodes and it was revealed early in e1. You are the asshole , cupcake.

by Anonymousreply 603/22/2019

Search “dee gyp blancharde” on Facebook and you will find the original page DeeDee and Gypsy shared. The post is still up even. It’s surreal.

by Anonymousreply 703/25/2019

I heard they were going to call it "Shine it On", but this is better.

by Anonymousreply 803/25/2019

It's horrible. The documentary was so much better. I think Arquette is miscast. It needed to be Melissa McCarthy.

by Anonymousreply 903/25/2019

They needed Liza

by Anonymousreply 1003/25/2019

Patricia is turning into the Shelley Winters of our generation.

by Anonymousreply 1103/27/2019

Is Coke a sponsor? Two episodes in and it’s been a major plot point each time.

by Anonymousreply 1203/29/2019

patricia alwys seemd like a dumb fat sow

how do she git awards????

she married Nicolas cage for gods sake....and she has very yellow ciggy teef

by Anonymousreply 1303/29/2019

Thin story line and it was stretched to 8 episodes of Gypsy getting tortured. I don't want to sit through that, just too much.

Probably could have gone via BBC route and get it over with in 3 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 1403/29/2019

I’m loving it! It’s all Grey Gardens and Mommy Dearest.

by Anonymousreply 1503/29/2019

Liza would have been fabulous as the mother. She would have made Gypsy wear a sequinned boyfriend jacket.

by Anonymousreply 1603/29/2019

Arquette is giving a truly wretched performance in this. Thankfully, Joey King is killing it!

by Anonymousreply 1704/02/2019

A lot of it is underwhelming, but the camp element is off the charts. Patricia Arquette seems to be doing a (bad) imitation of Piper Laurie in Carrie, so a lot of her loud, stilted line readings are hilarious. I think it will be looked back on fondly on DL as a howler.

by Anonymousreply 1804/02/2019

Shtiesh and shtablesh sure are shmelly,

Let me shniff some Kosher deli,

Brightly lit by pretty Shitty Lights!

by Anonymousreply 1904/02/2019

Did my Marty direct thish too? I hope Patrisha winsh the Oshcar! She deshervesh it. I wish I wash there everyday onshet to cheer her on! Shine it on, girlfriend!

by Anonymousreply 2004/03/2019

I think it would be getting a lot more fanfare on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 2104/03/2019

Chrissy Metz was robbed from this role, the real Dee Dee was her size. Obese actresses do not get any juicy roles !!!

by Anonymousreply 2204/03/2019

Chrissy you have enough rolls already!

by Anonymousreply 2304/03/2019

Yeah, I feel like Arquette is miscast in this and she's going overboard to compensate for it.

It's not working.

by Anonymousreply 2404/03/2019

She gave the performance of her career in that Showtime miniseries. The Act may not be her fault the writing and direction isn’t that great.

by Anonymousreply 2504/05/2019

R10 THANK YOU! The only reason I came to this thread is I thought it was about the LIZA Musical!!!

Mary, I got so excited. I love that cast album. Money Tree being my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 2604/05/2019

I think it's fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 27Last Sunday at 6:57 PM

It's a shame her brother/sister died, because I would love to see a drag queen parody version starring Alexis Arquette that uses songs from the Liza show.

by Anonymousreply 28Last Wednesday at 2:11 PM

Margo Martindale and Kim from Better Call Saul in the latest (last?) episode.

by Anonymousreply 29Last Thursday at 5:21 AM

What is Patrica Arquette doing with that accent? I guess it's supposed to be Louisianian but she sounds like pigeons cooing. By episode two I began to wonder if there was an actual pigeon's nest on the boom mic.

by Anonymousreply 3012 hours ago

The documentary was gripping and hilarious. I have no desire to see this shitty series. In this case. nothing can touch the documentary.

by Anonymousreply 3112 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!