Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best non-fiction gay book

Let’s keep it real.

by Anonymousreply 113May 2, 2019 1:01 AM

The Velvet Rage: Overcoming the Pain of Growing up Gay in a Straight Man's World by Alan Downs

And the Band Played On by Randy Shilts. This has come under fire in recent years for its somewhat fictional portray of "Patient Zero," however, it's an incredibly thorough documentation of the beginning days of AIDS from someone right on the front lines of the epidemic. It has that "non-fiction that reads narratively" thing going for it.

The Best Little Boy in the World by John Reid and Andrew Tobias. The classic 1970s account of growing up gay in America.

An Unpublished Vice by Edmund White

Chronicles of a Plague, Revisited: AIDS and Its Aftermath by Andrew Holleran. The incredibly empathetic Holleran revisits his book of "Christopher Street" essays, first published in 1988 from the front lines of the AIDS ravaging warpath.

At Danceteria and Other Stories by Philip Dean Walker. Although this is classified as fiction, it features fictionalized accounts of real nights that occurred and all the characters in the book are celebrities or famous people. The series of stories focuses on the swirling nightlife of the 1980s where celebrities, "keep the party going as the AIDS plague gathers."

by Anonymousreply 1March 20, 2019 4:08 PM

I loathed The Best Little Boy In The World. Something was 'off' about that guy's personality. I got the same feeling as when I read Young Man From The Provinces, and also Harold Norse's memoir.

by Anonymousreply 2March 21, 2019 8:33 AM

R1, Conduct Unbecoming, Shilt's other "big" book about gays and lesbians in the military, is really good.

by Anonymousreply 3March 21, 2019 9:08 AM

Becoming a Man Paul Monette's memoir of discovery and accepting his sexuality

Last Watch of the Night is also by Monette A collection of essays

by Anonymousreply 4March 21, 2019 9:19 AM

Charley Shively's two books on Whitman: • Calamus Lovers: Walt Whitman's Working Class Camerados

• Drum Beats: Walt Whitman's Civil War Boy Lovers

A lot of Whitman scholars won't acknowledge their debt to him, because they're unapologetically gay, and -- while Whitman had been outted by the time of their publication, they outted him in a way that fully exposed his homosexuality and pederasty. Many straight scholars still haven't come to terms with it. And sure as hell the greater public haven't.

And let's have a nod two to the Rev Boyd MacDonald, with his first peerless collected work...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 21, 2019 9:28 AM

States of Desire, Edmund White.

by Anonymousreply 6March 21, 2019 9:33 AM

Byron and Greek Love. Great great book. And revealed the whole reason he headed east was in search of sodomy. It published two letters that had been lying in a fucking cupboard in the offices of Byron's publisher John Murray since his death, almost certainly because of their sensitive contents. Absolutely beyond belief. Scandalous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 21, 2019 9:33 AM

A Class Apart.

The fact that it revealed this fantastic relationship, and the photos of the gorgeous Ralph, which all could have ended up in a dumpster, is a miracle. The fact it is long out of print is another scandal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 21, 2019 10:00 AM

Looks interesting r7.

by Anonymousreply 9March 21, 2019 10:01 AM

Plato’s Symposium.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 21, 2019 11:21 AM

Gay New York by George Chauncey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 21, 2019 11:33 AM

r8 I purchased a new(er) edition on Amazon last year!

by Anonymousreply 12March 21, 2019 11:43 AM

A Great Unrecorded History: A New Life of E.M. Forester was wonderful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 21, 2019 12:26 PM

[quote],Becoming a Man Paul Monette's memoir of discovery and accepting his sexuality

This one

by Anonymousreply 14March 21, 2019 12:28 PM

How To Survive a Plague: The Inside Story of How Citizens and Science Tamed Aids by David France.

by Anonymousreply 15March 21, 2019 12:38 PM

I've read most of the books listed so far, and liked all of them except The Velvet Rage. I never felt gorgeous enough to think the writer was talking to me. It really is an A-Gay primer, and it just produced more rage.

by Anonymousreply 16March 21, 2019 12:40 PM

I haven't read it r16. Thanks for your input. It goes lower on my "to do" list.

by Anonymousreply 17March 21, 2019 12:50 PM

Memoirs:

Palimpsest - Gore Vidal

My Lives - Edmund White

City Boy - Edmund White

On The Move - Oliver Sacks

Social/Cultural history:

The Gay Metropolis - Charles Kaiser

by Anonymousreply 18March 21, 2019 1:09 PM

[quote]The Velvet Rage ... really is an A-Gay primer

That was not my impression at all. The book may focus on a relatively narrow range of gay men, but I think the insights into insecurity, shame and self-loathing apply to all levels of our community. Of course, the author's perspective pretty much confirms my own worldview, so I'm biased.

by Anonymousreply 19March 21, 2019 1:29 PM

Since people have already included Paul Monette books, I'd like to add another. Borrowed Time is the story of his boyfriend Roger who dies in the early stages of the AIDS epidemic. It's got all the righteous anger of Becoming a Man (the book of his that means the most to me), but it also has the love story. It gets a little high falutin at times - Monette can really gild the lily. Still, it's a wonderful book about gay love and yet, by the end, you'll wanna pick up your torch and burn everything to the ground. It's a great companion piece to Randy Shilt's or David France's books.

by Anonymousreply 20March 21, 2019 1:42 PM

Covering - The Hidden Assault on Our Civil Rights, by Kenji Yoshino.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 21, 2019 1:47 PM

Quentin Crisp. Great overviews of an out (femme) gay mans life in UK and US pre-WW2 London through the turn of the century NYC. A role model in many ways and truly one of a kind.

A Naked Civil Servant How to Become a Virgin The Last Word: An Autobiography

A few others that are non-fiction as well.

by Anonymousreply 22March 21, 2019 1:53 PM

Stonewall: The Riots That Sparked The Gay Revolution by David Carter. Read it for the 50th anniversary and as a corrective to the lies of the Transtapo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 21, 2019 1:56 PM

Huzzah, huzzah r23.

by Anonymousreply 24March 21, 2019 2:00 PM

More non-fiction from David France. I may be biased because I knew the guy and survived.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 21, 2019 2:01 PM

Oooh - that was such a good, dark book R25. Loved it! Also a nice description of pre-AIDS NYC and Philly.

Turns out that crazy Andrew Crispo lives (lived?) 4 blocks away. He had recently (early 200s) been charged with threatening to murder a prosecutors young son because she was prosecuting a case a neighbor brought against him. A true sociopath - who scarily continued to live free into old age.

by Anonymousreply 26March 21, 2019 2:48 PM

I will add Paul Monette's Halfway Home to the list, dealing with aids and family and aids and dating - a nice time capsule about what it was like.... And Paul, we miss you very much...

by Anonymousreply 27March 21, 2019 3:06 PM

Faggots, by Larry Kramer.

by Anonymousreply 28March 21, 2019 3:11 PM

Imagine what a powerhouse Randy Shilts would be had he lived. Tremendous loss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 21, 2019 3:15 PM

A true icon R29. At least he created works that will live on and will always be remembered as a critical voice in the darkest period of gay history. Critical reading for every gay man.

by Anonymousreply 30March 21, 2019 3:22 PM

R29 Except And the Band Played On opportunistically reinforced what we now know is a false Patient Zero narrative and Shields never came out in his own writing about his own AIDS. Other than that, sure, great guy.

by Anonymousreply 31March 21, 2019 10:06 PM

I enjoyed The Scarlet Professor by Barry Werth.

by Anonymousreply 32March 21, 2019 10:21 PM

The Lavender Screen

by Anonymousreply 33March 22, 2019 8:42 AM

The sequel to At Danceteria will apparently have a Gaëtan Dugas (Patient Zero) story that tries to reconcile with the problematic Shilts portrayal.

I want to recommend the very recent non-fiction book, When Brooklyn Was Queer by Hugh Ryan. It just came out, but I was lucky enough to read an advance copy a couple months ago. It's really good and very well-researched.

by Anonymousreply 34March 22, 2019 2:16 PM

One hopes, r34, that the word "problematic" will not be contained therein.

by Anonymousreply 35March 22, 2019 2:21 PM

It's funny, R35, because I actually almost put that word in quotes in my own post.

by Anonymousreply 36March 22, 2019 2:26 PM

R36, why did you use it at all? You could simply have said "negative" or "controversial." Or nothing at all (just "with Shilts' portrayal").

by Anonymousreply 37March 22, 2019 2:30 PM

I probably just shouldn't have, R37. It was a last-minute addition meant to comment on the characterization Shilts' portrayal has received in recent years.

Can you ever forgive me?

by Anonymousreply 38March 22, 2019 2:32 PM

Lindsey Graham: My life presenting hole across the world

by Anonymousreply 39March 22, 2019 2:36 PM

The making of gay New York

by Anonymousreply 40March 22, 2019 2:43 PM

As long as you promise not to use it again, r38, no problem.

by Anonymousreply 41March 22, 2019 2:50 PM

This book, r40? It's one of the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 22, 2019 2:51 PM

What does "keep it real" mean?

by Anonymousreply 43March 22, 2019 3:58 PM

The Day I Stopped Being Pretty... by Rodney Lofton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 22, 2019 4:30 PM

True Confessions of the Wrigleyville Cumdump

by Anonymousreply 45March 22, 2019 5:07 PM

All the Derek Jarman memoirs. It’s kind of sad most Americans aren’t aware of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 22, 2019 6:11 PM

Gothic by Richard Davenport-Hines. Did you know that, like the Renaissance, and the Enlightenment, the entire Gothic revival was practically invented by queens? You didn’t? Well now you do. They even stuck a dead tree in Kensington Palace Gardens — because THAT, my dears, is what living with bravura is all about!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 22, 2019 6:20 PM

Others have mentioned Edmund White's memoirs. I'd like to put a plug in for his "Inside a Pearl," which chronicles his time in Paris. It had me laughing out loud at times. At one point he describes how his Parisian good friend noticed how bored her husband was. She thought that all he needed was an affair. White arranged for the husband to meet his American friend, a rather plain American academic. Well, they have an affair, but then the husband left his Parisian wife for the younger American woman to the chagrin of the wife. White is terrific at describing the different attitudes of the French and Americans toward affairs.

by Anonymousreply 48March 22, 2019 6:22 PM

I really liked "Between the Acts" by Kevin Porter and Jeffrey Weeks which is a book of interviews with English gay men living from the late 19th century up until the repeal of the Sexual Offenses Act in 1967. There is a range of men from all classes and walks of life. I think the thing that really sticks with me about it is the witness that gay people have always existed and have found each other, even in less contemporary and more isolated and oppressive times and eras. But besides the gay aspect, the act of an older person looking over and examining their own life was quite interesting.

by Anonymousreply 49March 22, 2019 6:25 PM

The Andy Warhol Diaries!

by Anonymousreply 50March 22, 2019 7:38 PM

Princes Under The Volcano.

Written by the very upper class and gay Raleigh Trevelyn, it came out in the 70s, and is a huge opus of a book. The main character is Tina Whitaker, who was THE fag hag (for want of a better word) to the international set in the 1890s. Every English gay who was any gay headed to her mansion in Sicily, but also of course, for the boys. So all those characters you’ve come across in books, such as Lord Ronald Gower. and Percy ffrench etc., rock up. It also has great footnotes. I think it must havd nonplused a lot of people when it first came out, because it details an entire gay social universe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 23, 2019 12:25 AM

London and the Culture of Homosexuality, 1885-1914 is very good. And I love the cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 24, 2019 10:10 AM

Bump for intellect

by Anonymousreply 53April 3, 2019 11:03 AM

Jeb and Dash

by Anonymousreply 54April 5, 2019 2:33 PM

Another here who loves Paul Monette. Borrowed Time is the most moving book I've ever read.

by Anonymousreply 55April 6, 2019 3:25 AM

Not a book but The Normal Heart play by Larry Kramer is very poignant and is based on true events around the first few years of the AIDS crisis.

by Anonymousreply 56April 6, 2019 3:28 AM

Faggots, by Larry Kramer

by Anonymousreply 57April 12, 2019 1:48 PM

[QUOTe]Faggots, by Larry Kramer

This is a novel. And not a particularly good one.

by Anonymousreply 58April 12, 2019 5:19 PM

Maybe it needed to be turned into a Ross Hunter musical, R58.

by Anonymousreply 59April 12, 2019 5:31 PM

It's funny how Dancer from the Dance and Faggots both came out the same year and cover much the same milieu, but could not be more different novels.

by Anonymousreply 60April 12, 2019 5:34 PM

by Anonymousreply 61April 19, 2019 4:26 PM

i find Edmund White's books shallow and devoid of any wit or charm.

by Anonymousreply 62April 19, 2019 6:43 PM

Marc Doty "Heaven's Coast"

by Anonymousreply 63April 19, 2019 6:45 PM

R60 A significant difference being that Holleran writes with grace and power and Kramer can barely put a whole sentence into grammatical English and is a scolding self-serving Jeremiah to boot?

by Anonymousreply 64April 19, 2019 7:01 PM

The Noel Coward Diaries - when he get bitchy, there's no stopping him.

Mississippi Sissy by Kevin Sessums

by Anonymousreply 65April 19, 2019 7:55 PM

R64, true. I love the letters at the start of DFTD. The whole book is like an elegy to a pre AIDS idyll. The deaths of the two main characters and the fire at St Marks bathhouse eerily foreshadows the deaths of so many, beginning the year after the book was published.

It begins 'everyone is dying of cancer'. Holleran could not have known how prescient his novel would prove to be.

by Anonymousreply 66April 19, 2019 8:13 PM

r64 = Dinky Adams

by Anonymousreply 67April 19, 2019 8:15 PM

r66 = Marie de Maintenon

by Anonymousreply 68April 19, 2019 8:18 PM

"Except And the Band Played On opportunistically reinforced what we now know is a false Patient Zero narrative."

It wasn't exactly "false." Gaetan Dugas, the "Patient Zero", was a whore who even after being told he had a deadly disease that could be spread through sexual contact continued to go to bathhouses and bareback with unsuspecting anonymous sex partners. He did a lot to spread AIDs.

by Anonymousreply 69April 19, 2019 8:24 PM

"After the Ball: How America Will Conquer Its Fear and Hatred of Gays in the 90's" by Marshall Kirk is a good one. I read a long time ago and thought it made a lot of sense.

by Anonymousreply 70April 19, 2019 8:38 PM

"Smashcut" by Brad Gooch. 70's-80's gritty New York. Lots of references to Andy Warhol, Derek Jarman, Keith Haring and other artists of the era. Memoir of losing his lover.

"City Poet", also by Brad Gooch, great biography of Frank O'Hara.

Love all the Paul Monette love on here.

by Anonymousreply 71April 19, 2019 10:15 PM

Faggots, by Larry Kramer

by Anonymousreply 72April 20, 2019 7:27 AM

R68 = Andrew Sutherland

by Anonymousreply 73April 20, 2019 8:04 AM

Another gay autobio I just read and enjoyed a lot is Dry by Augusten Burroughs. It's about being an advertising executive and an alcoholic in the early 90s in NYC, and takes in the death of his ex lover from AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 74April 20, 2019 9:21 AM

by Anonymousreply 75April 20, 2019 3:43 PM

A lot of people here are really struggling with the concept of ‘non-fiction’!

by Anonymousreply 76April 23, 2019 1:11 PM

R76, Faggots and Dancer are strictly fiction I guess but the others aren't.

by Anonymousreply 77April 24, 2019 12:11 AM

by Anonymousreply 78April 25, 2019 1:19 PM

Donald Vining's GAY DIARY, in several volumes. Not written to be published, they contain remarkable vignettes of the daily lives of gay men in NYC from 1946-1982.

by Anonymousreply 79April 25, 2019 1:40 PM

Sorry. ^^. Volumes start in 1933.

by Anonymousreply 80April 25, 2019 1:53 PM

The James Lees-Milne diaries. Gay but self-loathing, and married to a lesbian, as one did. They illuminate decades of upper class English life. Endless great anecdotes. eg the tank commander who took a salute from the Queen while being sucked off from below.

by Anonymousreply 81April 25, 2019 2:14 PM

[quote] And let's have a nod two to the Rev Boyd MacDonald, with his first peerless collected work...

Nothing comes close. The interviews are masterpieces of editing oral history. Boyd was a Harvard guy as I recall. He deserves to be put on a pedestal alongside the great Studs Terkel.

by Anonymousreply 82April 25, 2019 2:14 PM

A caution: apparently reissues of some of the Rev McDonald’s collected volumes have been bowdlerised of some of their, a-hem, ‘intergenerational’ encounters. So if you want the unconforming truth, ensure you purchase the first editions.

by Anonymousreply 83April 25, 2019 2:22 PM

Another recommendation for Paul Monette’s beautiful “Borrowed Time,” an AIDS memoir.

For poetry, Mark Doty is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 84April 25, 2019 2:23 PM

I gotta say: Robert Scobles two recent Baron Corvo volumes are gorgeously produced books. Appropriately they sold out very quickly and have now become increasing high priced collectors items.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 25, 2019 2:29 PM

I read After The Ball when it came out and mainly remember the authors saying that gay men needed to hide the drag queens and butch it up if we wanted acceptance in the straight world. Fuck that!

by Anonymousreply 86April 26, 2019 10:59 PM

The Celluloid Closet by Vito Russo. First published in 1981.

Important then and now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 26, 2019 11:05 PM

Queer and Loathing: Rants and Raves of a Raging AIDS Clone by David Feinberg

Openly Bob by Bob Smith

Way to Go, Smith! by Bob Smith

by Anonymousreply 88April 26, 2019 11:16 PM

Another vote for STATES OF DESIRE.

by Anonymousreply 89April 27, 2019 1:46 PM

R88 I still find it startling to realize Smith has died, even though it's been a few years. I loved his stand-up, especially with Funny Gay Males. And his writing captured that wry voice. Feinberg's writing was very important to me in the early 90s, when I needed to hear the rage of men in the epicenter of the epidemic (I was geographically removed from gay community at the time). John Weir's second novel is a lightly fictionalized version of his friendship with Feinberg. Weir himself is a fine writer.

by Anonymousreply 90April 27, 2019 5:29 PM

Running with Scissors and Dry by Augusten Burroughs. Lust and Wonder is also good, about how he met his current HIV positive husband after a spell in rehab.

by Anonymousreply 91April 27, 2019 11:48 PM

The Secret Life Of Oscar Wilde is a remarkable piece of work. Anyone read the new Matthew Sturgis bio of Oscar?

The Quest For Corvo would have to be up there, particularly as it has inspired so many other books in the literary quest genre.

Love In Earnest is another important book, but would struggle to find a mainstream publisher today, which is kind of shocking in itself.

Although he only wrote bits of it, being an alcoholic mess (the rest being ghosted), I'm fond of Robin Maugham's Search For Nirvana as a curio and for its ambition. It's got such a pretty cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 28, 2019 4:43 PM

To [R66]: The bathhouse fire occurred not at the New St. Marks, but at the Everard, on West 28th St.

by Anonymousreply 93April 28, 2019 5:10 PM

Thanks, R93. I remember in the book they called it The Everhard.

by Anonymousreply 94April 28, 2019 10:50 PM

John Fraser's memoir, CLOSE UP. Not the best perhaps, but delicious.

by Anonymousreply 95April 29, 2019 2:00 PM

by Anonymousreply 96April 30, 2019 3:30 PM

Is Faggots non fiction though? Larry isn't the protagonist, is he?

by Anonymousreply 97April 30, 2019 6:15 PM

[quote]Larry isn't the protagonist, is he?

Larry is always the protagonist!

by Anonymousreply 98April 30, 2019 6:25 PM

R96 keeps posting that in this thread. She knows it's fiction.

[QUOTE]Larry is always the protagonist!

Yet, this is also true. See also: "The Normal Heart"

by Anonymousreply 99April 30, 2019 6:26 PM

I loved The Normal Heart so much.

by Anonymousreply 100April 30, 2019 6:30 PM

When my situation became clear to him, Dad went out and bought me Best Little Boy in the World. It warned me about house masters who liked to wrestle with undergrads, and "Golden Boys," so when I went to college, I wasn't completely clueless. The Harvard Square he enjoyed was almost a decade past by the time I arrived, but not the little knots of people who sometimes gave hope.

Andrew Tobais put of "The Best Little Boy in the World Grows Up" in the late 90s, and it was interesting to learn what happened not only to him, but all of his friends in the first book.

by Anonymousreply 101April 30, 2019 6:41 PM

R101 Wasn't that house master Barney Frank?

by Anonymousreply 102April 30, 2019 10:20 PM

I know When Brooklyn Was Queer by Hugh Ryan was already mentioned above, but it’s a stellar read. For another recent book, Buying Gay: How Physique Entrepreneurs Sparked a Movement by David K. Johnson is great.

by Anonymousreply 103April 30, 2019 10:57 PM

r102 -- I think Tobais did his undergrad at Yale and then went to HBS, but Barney was a Senior Tutor at Winthrop House while working on his PhD, but probably didn't wrestle the undergrads because he always had a big stogey in his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 104April 30, 2019 11:02 PM

I thought Tobias went to Harvard, but it has been decades since I read the book. I thought I read elsewhere that Frank was the tutor described but not named.

by Anonymousreply 105May 1, 2019 9:46 PM

R105 here. Just checked--Tobias did graduate from Harvard, with a BA in Slavic languages and literature.

by Anonymousreply 106May 1, 2019 10:22 PM

Thanks, r106 -- I too read the book decades ago.

Still, I can't picture the roly-poly Barney with his cigar wrestling anyone.

by Anonymousreply 107May 1, 2019 10:42 PM

"A Bone in my Flute" by Holly Johnson. Not as hard to find as one might imagine. Love that book including its Pierre et Gilles cover art.

by Anonymousreply 108May 1, 2019 10:45 PM

R90, I think I love you.

by Anonymousreply 109May 1, 2019 11:12 PM

I'm not sure there's ever been a non-fiction gay book.

by Anonymousreply 110May 1, 2019 11:14 PM

Graham Robb - Strangers: Homosexual Love in the 19th Century

Peter Ackroyd - Queer City

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111May 1, 2019 11:49 PM

BETTYVILLE by George Hodgman - "flyover country" is sneered at often, but there are well-told gay stories from there.

INSOMNIAC CITY by Bill Hayes, widower of Oliver Sacks. Not at all cashing in on his relationship, but telling his own story, as well as getting to know the private Oliver from Bill's point-of-view.

by Anonymousreply 112May 2, 2019 12:00 AM

by Anonymousreply 113May 2, 2019 1:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!