Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Disney now owns 20th Century Fox. Predictions?

1. Searchlight will be sold or shuttered within three to five years

2. 20th Century Fox will only release five to seven tentpole pictures a year, mostly remakes of its IP, with one Oscar-bait movie (studio schmaltz like Green Book) at Christmas

3. Disney+ will not feature much of the content from Fox’s massive catalogue of classic films preferring to keep the brand focused on Disney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 16, 2019 12:31 AM

Bloodbath today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 21, 2019 10:01 PM

Guaranteed prediction. I'm not subscribing to Disney +.

by Anonymousreply 2March 21, 2019 10:10 PM

The front page of Deadline is all firings... smh

by Anonymousreply 3March 21, 2019 10:58 PM

[quote] The front page of Deadline is all firings

That may be just as well. Looking it up now now I see there isn't a single Fox network show I watch.

by Anonymousreply 4March 21, 2019 11:08 PM

Fox Network wasn’t included in the transaction.

by Anonymousreply 5March 21, 2019 11:12 PM

Maybe a reboot of Peyton Place...?

by Anonymousreply 6March 21, 2019 11:16 PM

They can take advantage of this opportunity to learn computer programming.

by Anonymousreply 7March 21, 2019 11:17 PM

Well, that's the end of the X-Men I actually partway enjoyed and appreciated. It was nice while it lasted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 21, 2019 11:19 PM

Murdoch wants to do 2 things now: Sport and "News". God knows what he will do with the FOX TV Network and the OTA stations now that he's stated his intentions. All he owns now are his rag newspapers here, in the UK, and Oz, Fox Nazi News and Fox Nazi Business, Fox Sports 1 and 2, plus Sky Nazi News Australia and a few other sports channels. Man can't die soon enough, and I have no problem saying that.

by Anonymousreply 9March 21, 2019 11:19 PM

It doesn't seem a benefit for movie goers and movie lovers.

by Anonymousreply 10March 21, 2019 11:20 PM

R9 We won't know until later SEC filings but if Murdoch took all the Disney stock he could in the merger, he will control a large amount of Disney stock, which will give him a voice in the future of that company. The speculation is that he will try to position one of his sons as a potential successor to Iger.

OP, you are forgetting that as part of this deal Disney now controls 60% of hulu, with speculation that they will shortly make a move to acquire Comcast's 30% and AT&T's 10%. If so, I can see hulu being their more Adult focused streaming service, and the home of FOX classic films, with Disney+ being their Disney focused service.

by Anonymousreply 11March 22, 2019 12:15 AM

[quote] as part of this deal Disney now controls 60% of Hulu.

Guess I'd better finish my rewatch of 'Drake & Josh' before Nick shows get booted off the service.

Does this acquisition mean Spotify student users may get their free Hulu access rescinded? AFAF.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 22, 2019 9:48 AM

How you gonna like it when Disney eventually acquires every entertainment property on the planet?

The world will be Disney, Apple, and Amazon .

by Anonymousreply 13March 22, 2019 9:56 AM

I loathe Disney so much. They're just evil. The Monsanto of entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 14March 22, 2019 10:10 AM

[quote]The world will be Disney, Apple, and Amazon .

Excuse me?

by Anonymousreply 15March 23, 2019 1:49 AM

AT&T owns those properties -- at this time.

Wait.

by Anonymousreply 16March 23, 2019 3:40 AM

I think OP is right on the money with those predictions and I'll add that Disney won't be releasing any Fox back catalogue stuff on physical media (DVD/Blu Ray).

by Anonymousreply 17March 23, 2019 3:46 AM

The DoJ really should have prevented this acquisition due to antitrust concerns.

This concentrates the industry in too few companies and consumers will suffer.

by Anonymousreply 18March 23, 2019 3:52 AM

Disney shouldn't own The Bob Newhart Show but now it does. That's an obscure example, but you get the idea.

by Anonymousreply 19March 23, 2019 4:00 AM

R17 Of course they will release the FOX back catalog as long as they can make money off of it. It is ridiculous to think that they spent billions of dollars acquiring something, only to lock it away.

by Anonymousreply 20March 23, 2019 4:46 AM

Why did this acquisition go through? Are there no antitrust lawyers anymore? This is a sad day. Hollywood is dying. Or dead.

by Anonymousreply 21March 23, 2019 5:05 AM

R21 It was cleared by anti-trust authorities in the US, EU, Mexico, Brazil, and China, among others. I would much prefer for Disney to consolidate with Fox, than for a Chinese company to buy it.

by Anonymousreply 22March 23, 2019 5:16 AM

They won't outright buy Hulu. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually pull all the content and sell their stake. Hulu doesn't make money, and having controlling interest means they can't hide the losses on their earning statements. Which is a shame, their Hulu Live service is the best cable replacement I've tried (better than DirecTV Now, Playstation Vue, and especially Philo). They've already announced Marvel and Star Wars projects for Disney+. The Star Wars one has already finished filming.

They'll use the Fox banner the way they used to use Touchstone, for middle-budget films aimed at adults. Lucasfilm and Marvel Studios will continue to do their thing. Fox Animation is already dead. Searchlight will be their new Miramax.

The X-Men and Fantastic Four are coming back to Marvel finally. I think that leaves the Universal right-of-first-refusal distribution for the Hulk, plus whatever long-term deal they work out for Spider-Man. The New Mutants film will either be buried and the earth salted or the announced reshoots that have not happened and are not currently scheduled (despite being five months out for its third announced release date) will be canceled and they'll dump it on Disney+ and hope no one notices. They'll reboot a bunch of Fox IPs, probably the X-Files (a full reboot, not another revival) and almost certainly Buffy. We'll probably eventually some IPs in the theme parks, although the most likely candidate, the Simpsons, is already over at Universal.

This deal was all about getting their hands on Fox's back catalog so Disney+ will be a full Netflix competitor out of the gate.

by Anonymousreply 23March 23, 2019 9:59 AM

How are people just not at all bothered by this?

by Anonymousreply 24March 23, 2019 10:03 AM

Disney now owns the very anti-Disney Simpsons.

by Anonymousreply 25March 23, 2019 10:04 AM

[quote]Disney shouldn't own The Bob Newhart Show but now it does. That's an obscure example, but you get the idea.

They also own [italic]Small Wonder[/italic]. If that doesn’t scare you, then it should.

by Anonymousreply 26March 23, 2019 3:02 PM

[quote]Disney now owns the very anti-Disney Simpsons

They’re so anti-Disney they did a full episode parody of one of the studio’s worst Walt-era movies right before the show went to seed.

by Anonymousreply 27March 23, 2019 3:04 PM

R23 According to Variety, "Disney CEO Bob Iger has told investors the strategy is to make Hulu its SVOD platform for adult-targeted premium programming, while Disney+ is aimed at kids and families. Iger also says Disney is looking to expand Hulu internationally."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 23, 2019 4:00 PM

I use Hulu Live, but if other content providers pull away from it because of Disney control, might have to switch.

by Anonymousreply 29March 23, 2019 4:19 PM

Searchlight is my favorite prestige disrtibutor, I hope it doesn't go to hell...

by Anonymousreply 30March 23, 2019 4:32 PM

They're shutting down Fox 2000, even though they stated they wouldn't. Filmmakers loved Elizabeth Gabler, and the studio produced mid-budget fare (Love, Simon, Hidden Figures, The Hate U Give), which is sadly hard to find in theaters these days.

by Anonymousreply 31March 23, 2019 4:42 PM

I, for one, welcome our new rodent overlords.

by Anonymousreply 32March 23, 2019 4:48 PM

They also own Ricky Schroder’s ass as seen on [italic]NYPD Blue[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 33March 23, 2019 6:10 PM

hey, sounds like the record business 20 years ago!

by Anonymousreply 34March 23, 2019 7:23 PM

R24 people in the industry are: the firings (er, layoffs) began yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 35March 23, 2019 7:30 PM

They also now own Modern Family, all of the old Ryan Murphy stuff (Glee, Pose, etc.) and This Is Us!

by Anonymousreply 36March 23, 2019 11:18 PM

Alan Horn shocks CinemaCon crowd by admitting he didn’t “get” The Shape of Water

Searchlight is doomed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 3, 2019 11:19 PM

I hope they put the 20th Century Fox fanfare back in the Star Wars films.

by Anonymousreply 38April 3, 2019 11:39 PM

Yeah, because when a monolithic multi billion dollar global conglomerate consolidates even more power into its borg-like core, the an 18 second snippet of music is first thing people should be worried about.

by Anonymousreply 39April 4, 2019 1:23 AM

Alan Horn is the same guy who took over for Norman Lear when [italic]All in the Family[/italic], [italic]Sanford And Son[/italic], and [italic]Maude[/italic] faded out and gave way to [italic]Diff’rent Strokes[/italic], [italic]The Facts Of Life[/italic], and [italic]Silver Spoons[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 40April 4, 2019 1:34 AM

Then he should be shunned, if not tarred and feathered. Those are three of the most anemic, toothless, and unfunny shows tobvome out of that period.

He's no Norman Lear.

by Anonymousreply 41April 4, 2019 1:56 AM

Those are all masterpieces compared to the godawful [italic]Who’s the Boss[/italic]. That show is a Geneva convention violation.

by Anonymousreply 42April 4, 2019 1:57 AM

tobvome = to come

by Anonymousreply 43April 4, 2019 1:58 AM

[quote]Those are three of the most anemic, toothless, and unfunny shows tobvome out of that period.

Hey, what about me?

by Anonymousreply 44April 4, 2019 2:04 AM

Make it four.

by Anonymousreply 45April 4, 2019 2:24 AM

Miller-Boyett’s output was exponentially worse, even (and especially) when poaching Embassy’s casting rolls. And without Garry Marshall and Ed Milkis around to filter out the most obviously stupid ideas, the results were dire. Lori Laughlin going to jail is long overdue.

by Anonymousreply 46April 4, 2019 2:30 AM

Garry Marshall was at Touchstone making cheese for the mouse while M-B were stinking up ABC.

by Anonymousreply 47April 4, 2019 3:31 AM

That's true. Look at FrauBait - sorry, I mean Beaches.

by Anonymousreply 48April 4, 2019 3:34 AM

The 1990s took everything wrong with the 1980s and made it worse. The difference is we had the internet to remind us what we lost.

by Anonymousreply 49April 4, 2019 3:53 AM

And speaking of [italic]The Facts Of Life[/italic], ever notice how Molly Ringwald’s relevance to movies, such as it was to begin with, ended when that show went off the air? Around that time, Touchstone offered her [italic]Pretty Woman[/italic] And [italic]Betsy’s Wedding[/italic]. I don’t need to tell you which one she took, nor the fact that her career never recovered from it.

by Anonymousreply 50April 4, 2019 3:59 AM

[quote]The 1990s took everything wrong with the 1980s and made it worse. The difference is we had the internet to remind us what we lost.

WW x 1,000,000

Can this be made into a bronze plaque, and be mounted just inside the front door of DL?

by Anonymousreply 51April 4, 2019 12:03 PM

Those criminally bad Disney Channel shit-bombs started before Alan Horn joined the company. And if Horn should be tarred and feathered for anything, it’s for pissing all over Walt Disney’s legacy with these shitty computerized remakes of everything under the sun. If you don’t complain then you are an enabler.

by Anonymousreply 52April 4, 2019 12:20 PM

Warner Bros under Alan Horn was responsible for The Dark Knight trilogy and Harry Potter.

The problem with Disney under Alan Horn is what you get when your chairman is a billion years old, he put every Disney IP in the pipeline because he wants to make it under his thumb before he dies.

Under the legendary Eisner/ Katzenberg/ Wells troika, Disney released only one animated musical a year. Never could anyone have imagined they would try to pull off the release of the Aladdin and Lion King remakes two months away from each other.

by Anonymousreply 53April 4, 2019 12:27 PM

Are you under contract to Warners?

by Anonymousreply 54April 4, 2019 1:51 PM

Great. So, now they'll be selling Bart Simpson dolls in their parks' gift shops as though he were a Disney character. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 55April 4, 2019 2:13 PM

Oh, Boy! I sure hope they do a remake of 'Weekend in Havana.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 4, 2019 2:17 PM

Capitalism run amock. No anti trust laws. This is sad.

by Anonymousreply 57April 4, 2019 2:44 PM

How ironic the Sherman (no relation to the brothers) Antitrust Act proved useless in stopping this.

by Anonymousreply 58April 4, 2019 3:31 PM

[quote]Under the legendary Eisner/ Katzenberg/ Wells troika, Disney released only one animated musical a year.

Ahem. I didn’t have any songs.

by Anonymousreply 59April 4, 2019 3:33 PM

[quote]Make it four. —With various treacly Miller/Milkis/Boyett contenders circling the waters

Five. Sally Struthers’ biggest weight gain was after this show. Seriously, where the hell was Lear during this period when he wasn’t fighting with the Moral Majority?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 4, 2019 3:44 PM

R49

The 80's were a cakewalk compared the 70's: Nixon, Watergate, Vietnam, Nelson Rockefeller - first as VP and then, in 1979, for the way he left us, Gerry Ford, Jimmy Carter, the Red Brigades, the Angolan Civil War, Peron's return to Argentina, the Iranian Hostage Crisis, the worst air crash in history (583 people dead: two 747's collided on the runway in Tenerife), the Munich Olympics, the Yom Kippur War, too many airplane hijackings to count, Margaret Thatcher, the birth of the "New Right," a couple of gas crises, the Republicans' embrace of racism, disco, and too many more bad things to mention.

As well as some really fuckin' awful clothing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 4, 2019 4:48 PM

R61 how much time did you take writing that post?

by Anonymousreply 62April 4, 2019 4:50 PM

R61 i would have zero problem with certain men making those shorts a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 63April 4, 2019 4:55 PM

It’s bittersweetly ironic that Disney in the wake of the deaths of Walt and Roy spent the 1970s in a virtual time warp only to come back even stronger in the 1980s, then to forget what made that comeback possible in the 1990s.

Walt’s family never should have been pushed out of the company the way they were. A moot point 35 years later now that the major players in the Saul Steinberg affair are either dead or over 70.

by Anonymousreply 64April 4, 2019 5:09 PM

[quote]Great. So, now they'll be selling Bart Simpson dolls in their parks' gift shops as though he were a Disney character. Pathetic.

Not as long as Universal has Simpsons rides in its parks.

by Anonymousreply 65April 5, 2019 12:26 AM

Just wait.

by Anonymousreply 66April 5, 2019 10:52 PM

The Simpsons ride would totally transform DCA.

by Anonymousreply 67April 5, 2019 11:04 PM

Hopefully they don't fuck up the Buffy reboot.

by Anonymousreply 68April 6, 2019 12:09 AM

The point is, r67, that The Simpsons don't belong in Disney parks. Certain lines aren't to be crossed.

by Anonymousreply 69April 6, 2019 12:40 PM

[quote]Five.

Make it six. They told me I could finally put Peter Brady behind me with this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70April 6, 2019 2:52 PM

I'm just gonna leave this here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 7, 2019 9:47 AM

Walt Disney presents....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 7, 2019 9:53 AM

Walt Disney presents....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 7, 2019 9:54 AM

Weren't Walt Disney and Darryl Zanuck (the longtime head of Fox) the only two non-Jewish movie moguls in the Golden Age of Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 74April 7, 2019 3:57 PM

Walt Disney Presents

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 7, 2019 4:09 PM

Fox projects are starting to move to other studios as Disney freezes out mid-budget Fox movies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 9, 2019 11:48 PM

Disney cancels Fox project just days from start of production

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 18, 2019 1:50 AM

R77 Not surprising there is room for only so many mice in the world of Disney and King Mickey and Queen Minnie will cut a bitch trying to step in on their turf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 18, 2019 2:02 AM

Twentieth Century Fox will only release six movies a year

Wow, I'm good

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79May 15, 2019 7:38 PM

I fucking hate Disney.

by Anonymousreply 80May 15, 2019 7:51 PM

R77/R78 well then, I can sleep a bit better knowing REDWALL, HERMUX TANTAMOQ and the superlative DEPTFORD MICE will remain untouched another day.

by Anonymousreply 81May 15, 2019 9:43 PM

How about "Myra Breckenridge The Series" starring Zendaya

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 16, 2019 12:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!