Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Do We Allow Cars?

I mean their exhaust poisons the lungs and causes global climate change. They regularly run over and kill and maim innocent civilians. They blight the landscape with ugly highways. They eat up tar and pavement. Hundreds of square feet of valuable real estate is taken up by parking. Cars are terrible. Why do we put up with them? Why don't we ban them, or at the very lease, levy a huge tax on all car owners to help mitigate the dire effects of global warming?

by Anonymousreply 82March 21, 2019 11:39 AM

People perceive their cars as status symbols, rather than simply the means of getting from point A to point B. It's a mindset in most - not all - countries and one that you can't simply legislate away.

Migrating to electric vehicles will help a lot with localised pollution and health damage that comes with it, and with all pollution once the grid is finally powered by renewables predominantly or even exclusively. Some cities in Germany are banning diesel cars from city centres, and some all ICE cars entirely. So that's a good first step. Second step would be to stop the trillions in subsidies for the fossil fuel industry.

Also, ridesharing, carpooling... whatever you want to call it, all help. I doubt people in the US will switch to using public transit en masse soon, as it would require huge public investment to improve it first. But you can only do that when enough people are using it already, in order to justify that investment. It's a vicious cycle.

by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2019 8:23 PM

Well, ya see OP, teleportation has been invented yet and people have to get around. Cars beat walking and horses and sedan chairs.

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2019 8:24 PM

Because people have to get around, so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2019 8:25 PM

Because jobs. Have to get to them somehow, duh.

by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2019 8:25 PM

People got around and got to jobs before the invention of the internal combustion engine. At the very least, we need to charge huge rates for parking on public streets. There's no other personal possession I can think of that cities allow to be stored free of charge in public.

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2019 8:43 PM

[quote]Why don't we ban them, or at the very lease,

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2019 9:15 PM

I agree with OP. The world was a much nicer place when we had dirt roads that turned to mud mixed with horseshit streets when it rained.

Much nicer smell. And probably healthier, too.

Oh how we long for the old days.

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2019 9:17 PM

There’s always trains and buses

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2019 9:17 PM

Are you trolling us, OP? The future is renewable based electric cars. Maybe you've heard about this amazing new technology in your town, too.

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2019 9:21 PM

And don't get OP started on indoor plumbing or bathing more than once a year.

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2019 9:29 PM

R9 Renewable ? Where do you think the electricity comes from ? Fossil fuel

by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2019 9:31 PM

R11 is an idiot. Proves a "little knowledge" is a dangerous thing.

by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2019 9:45 PM

R12=Elon Musk

by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2019 10:52 PM

because our whole way of life is geared around cars. Our housing nation wide is built around the automobile...the suburbs etc. Its too late to change and we dont have the money in the USA to devote to the massive infrastructure resources needed to build trains, subways, etc. Besides, trying tro convert to mass transportation and phase out the automobile would still result in massive amts of natural resources used to build all the infrastructure and release just as much co2 in the atmosphere anyway and push us just as fast into unstoppable global warming. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2019 11:00 PM

electric cars..what a joke..think it thru.. You still have to expend the massive resource to build electric cars, thus shoving continous co2 into the atmosphere. Electric cars still depend on steel, metal and all the other things that go into building a car, including shipping various components around the world to the mfg plant. Once the electric car is built you still have to generate the electricity to run the electric cars. Installing a million windmills and solar panels everywhere simply isnt enuf to power the worlds electric grid. So the increased needs to generate electricty has to come either by nuclear reactors or coal. Additionally you have to mfg and build the solar power components and the windmill parts. I live in the midwest near a large mfg plant for electic wind turbines. When driving on interstates in the area the roads are just packed with huge semis delivering all these wind turbines. How much of our natural resources are being consumed doing all this?? Electric cars are simply a subsitute for the gas engine and isnt an answer to our climate change problems.We are an industrial society and are completely dependant on oil and there is no way we can reduce significantly the co2 being pumped into the atmosphere slowly cooking the planet to its inevitable extinction.

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2019 11:12 PM

Big idiot @ r15

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2019 11:17 PM

OP=idiot

by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2019 11:19 PM

Because they're the most useful invention of all time dumbass! What a stupid question!

by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2019 11:19 PM

Ever heard of hydro, R11?

by Anonymousreply 19March 18, 2019 11:19 PM

OP is AOC

by Anonymousreply 20March 18, 2019 11:21 PM

Gee let’s just outlaw trucks as well. Then we would all starve to death because whatever you see in the store a truck brought it to you. And let’s outlaw these HUGE cargo ships while we’re at it!

by Anonymousreply 21March 18, 2019 11:26 PM

And freight trains too, let's get rid of those too.

by Anonymousreply 22March 18, 2019 11:27 PM

If e-cars are running on electricity produced by burning dirty fossil fuels, climate benefits are limited. Because of the complex batteries they use, it currently takes more energy to produce an electric car than a conventional one

by Anonymousreply 23March 18, 2019 11:49 PM

I was hoping this was a take down of the Disney movie.

by Anonymousreply 24March 19, 2019 12:26 AM

[quote]And don't get OP started on indoor plumbing or bathing more than once a year.

We done had our bath in May.

by Anonymousreply 25March 19, 2019 12:36 AM

OP you really need to get out of the city every now and then, it is a whole different world out there.

by Anonymousreply 26March 19, 2019 12:49 AM

[quote] There's no other personal possession I can think of that cities allow to be stored free of charge in public.

Apparently R5 can't think of bikes, motorcycles, Semi Trucks, buses, motor homes, trash cans, newspaper vending machine, food trucks, street vendors, Federal Express boxes.

by Anonymousreply 27March 19, 2019 12:57 AM

If I had control we would warn everyone in advance that their car would be confiscated on a certain date, and when that date came a series of gigantic magnets would be suspended over the earth from low-orbiting satellites, and would instantly scoop up all the cars on the earth and they would then be consolidated into another satellite, a second moon, this one made by man to remind man of man's selfishness and self-destruction. Abolish all cars!

by Anonymousreply 28March 19, 2019 2:03 AM

I'm with you OP. Things are changing. Take rideshare to help bring about their near-end.

by Anonymousreply 29March 19, 2019 2:08 AM

There are uneven and unequal kinds of public transportation options in the US cities. For example in some cities in the DFW area you have to drive to get to a public transit stop. They may be working on making it better, but my experience is there is no reliable public transport or network that connects the cities around Dallas to Dallas or even each other. .

by Anonymousreply 30March 19, 2019 2:30 AM

That is a HUGE problem, r30, that infrastructure is essential, and it's totally missing across most of the USA

by Anonymousreply 31March 19, 2019 2:33 AM

OP = AOC

by Anonymousreply 32March 19, 2019 2:36 AM

YI assume this is a parody of the smoking troll.

by Anonymousreply 33March 19, 2019 2:37 AM

[quote] Why Do We Allow Cars?

For the same reason we have cheap suburban development and urban sprawl, so that people who don't have as much net worth as they think they do can (a) feel that they are rich or upper middle class and (b) feel separate from The Poors.

It sounds like something that affects just them, until you factor in the ridiculous amounts of roads, highways and bridges that must be sustained so that Joe Trumper can get to work 8 minutes sooner than over city streets.

by Anonymousreply 34March 19, 2019 2:39 AM

Yeah let’s just pack everyone into apartment buildings like sardines. R34 has it all planned out for us—he’ll be in charge of rounding us up and herding us into cities for our new digs in these swanky capsule pods. Then we can all be the same. We can all finally be equal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 19, 2019 2:48 AM

The cars aren't inherently bad, it's the DRIVING them that's the problem.

When someone like AOC preaches about the environment, I always wonder: does she ride in a car? does she use driveup windows? Does she heat and air condition her home? Does she fly in a plane?

If she really wanted my support, she needs to tone it down from eliminating, to doing things differently so that cars get used less, or improve their efficiency. Like make the damn traffic engineers in towns get the traffic lights timed so that the pollution that goes into the air is moving the car instead of idling at a stop light. Tax the hell out of businesses that insist that a start time of 8:00 am lunch at 12:00 pm and done at 1:00 pm and a quit time of 5:00 pm is the ONLY way to run a business. If the lights are properly timed, they can issue tickets to cars stopped at stop lights because if they were stopped, it means they were driving the incorrect speed. The fastest and most fuel efficient way between two points is to not stop. Instead of red light cameras, they need to have merge lane cameras to issue tickets to the idiot that made the bad merge that caused the freeway to turn into a parking lot.

Gas should probably be rationed. It's one thing to charge more, but then rich people would keep living their lives with no sacrifices other than spending more money they don't even need. My one friend is well off so he drives home and right by his gym. Takes a nap, and then gets back in his car and does an additional 10 miles round trip to go back to his gym.

There's so much that can be done to get the same work done with less fuel short of vilifying the automobile.

I always try to ride the bus. My theory is that bus is going to be spewing pollutants into the air whether I'm on it or not, and if I use my car, then I'm just adding to the problem. Then there's my mother that thinks that riding the bus is low class, and she just refuses to do it, and it pisses me off. She'll drop $40 on a cab or Uber when she can take a bus to the airport for $1.20.

by Anonymousreply 36March 19, 2019 3:24 AM

Honey try living in Grand Prarie, TX (which has no bus system) with a job in Plano. You'll understand

by Anonymousreply 37March 19, 2019 3:28 AM

Using public transport in LA is dangerous! That’s a major reason why I don’t do it.

by Anonymousreply 38March 19, 2019 3:42 AM

America is capitalist country. We do not like paying taxes to the government and would rather use that money to buy our own individual transportation. So our public transit will always be overworked, underfunded, and not quite sufficient. Same with our airports.

by Anonymousreply 39March 19, 2019 3:47 AM

We need to raise the gasoline tax. The Federal tax on gasoline haven’t been changed in decades. If you adjust for inflation, you find that Gas is incredibly cheap these days.

by Anonymousreply 40March 19, 2019 3:52 AM

If it had been up to OP, then the cavemen would never have discovered fire.

by Anonymousreply 41March 19, 2019 3:53 AM

It's a 20th Century thing. No way can we sustain this. Maybe in little hick towns, but the cities are becoming nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 42March 19, 2019 3:55 AM

[quote]When someone like AOC preaches about the environment, I always wonder: does she ride in a car? does she use driveup windows? Does she heat and air condition her home? Does she fly in a plane?

Ah yes, the strawman argument in which the subject's position is willfully misstated to make the subject look hypocritical. I'm not gonna go to bat for AOC here, but instead state the simple truth of the matter: nobody wants to take away anyone's SUV. We just want to build them to run on renewables, and accrue all of the benefits of moving technology forward for the United States (instead of letting China be first to market so that they can have a middle class). I'm America-first that way. The future is renewable energy, and we can either get with the program now and benefit ourselves, or wait for our many nemeses to do it (and treat us the way we've treated them for the last hundred years).

What's needed is a moon shot type of program in order to realign the US' energy production and use. But in doing so, we'll renew the middle class and in reality could return to the prosperity of the 60s. We had the will then to do big things; why can't we come up with the way forward and work towards it collectively? I don't mean that average people will have to work actively in the industry any more than average people worked in the space program. The public just needs to be willing to adopt new technology and — the key — pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 43March 19, 2019 3:56 AM

[quote] Why Do We Allow Cars?

Why did your parents decide to have you? I bet they regret that

by Anonymousreply 44March 19, 2019 3:58 AM

OP, IIRC, early US auto manufacturers lobbied to get LA and other cities to limit or discontinue mass transit lines like subways and bus companies, so as to boost car sales. Today, you need a car in a lot of places.

by Anonymousreply 45March 19, 2019 4:03 AM

Mass transit, my ass. People are busy. They have shit that needs doing, and riding filthy public transport with rude, dirty, confrontational, and/or unsanitary thugs, criminals, and variously assorted crazies isn't exactly what most people would consider living the Dream.

by Anonymousreply 46March 19, 2019 4:06 AM

And public transport do not have restrooms! What do people do? I could not handle that.

by Anonymousreply 47March 19, 2019 4:27 AM

r40, raising the gas tax is regressive. You punish the poor, and the rich can right on doing what they do. You have to be fair. Everyone should get to spew the same amount of pollutants into the air, not just those with money to burn.

r43, it's not a straw man. She wants 100% renewables. She's made her position clear, and she is not living by example. What, because she doesn't live in a world without 100% renewables that means she gets to do whatever she wants until it happens? At first, I didn't know how she was getting around, but apparently someone checked and reported it. She needs to take a physics and finance class.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 19, 2019 4:27 AM

Here in Mexico city riding the subway or whatever is only possible for people living in the center of the city, for those in the periferies you need to own a car to get to a subway station first. In the US is probably just as bad. I would honestly prefer to own a car but I can't afford it.

by Anonymousreply 49March 19, 2019 4:58 AM

Peripheries

by Anonymousreply 50March 19, 2019 5:15 AM

Cars have become so much more fuel efficient, I have heard they are actually less polluting than trains/buses?

by Anonymousreply 51March 19, 2019 5:25 AM

R50 I had to make an important grammar mistake so that people would acusse me of being a russian troll and this thread could get derailed into insanity...

by Anonymousreply 52March 19, 2019 5:28 AM

Because freedom.

by Anonymousreply 53March 19, 2019 5:28 AM

I wonder if people drove subcompacts instead of so many big SUVs. trucks how much pollution would be eliminated.

by Anonymousreply 54March 19, 2019 5:32 AM

Why do we allow fire?

IT KILLS MILLIONS OF PEOPLE EACH YEAR!

Fire should be banned.

by Anonymousreply 55March 19, 2019 5:38 AM

We allow them specifically to annoy you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 56March 19, 2019 5:40 AM

We shouldn't allow fizzy water either because it tingles your nose, funny girl?

by Anonymousreply 57March 19, 2019 6:29 AM

r51, when you have 1 person per car, and 50 cars on the road and you multiply the pollutants, and compare that to 1 bus with 50 people on it that took 50 cars off the road or is going to be on the road anyway, it's pretty clear that you don't know how to make proper comparisons.

by Anonymousreply 58March 19, 2019 6:50 AM

Food must be banned because it can spoil, and there are more than 38 million cases of food poisoning every year, and that's only in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 59March 19, 2019 6:51 AM

Let’s ban cows too. They produce an awful lot of gas.

by Anonymousreply 60March 19, 2019 7:11 AM

150 years ago, every big city in the US and Europe had a horrific problem: they were literally buried under increasing amounts of horse poop. Google it. It was literally a crisis. There were studies projecting that by 1950, cities like New York & London would perpetually have ankle-deep poop on main roads, and side streets would become impassable if poop-removal were disrupted for even a single day.

Obviously, that didn't happen... because cars made horses obsolete as an urban transportation mode, and the "poop problem" solved itself by the early 1900s.

And yes, this includes London, which had the most extensive & advanced subway network on earth in the late 1800s.... Because even in Victorian London, people didn't want to walk 4 blocks to the subway station (especially not when it meant wading through ankle-deep horseshit), so they took horse-drawn taxis to and from the station.

Cars were viewed as a modern MIRACLE, because next to pervasive poop, exhaust fumes are a minor nuisance.

Keep in mind, too, that the populations of cities like London and New York are now several times larger than they were circa 1870. In 1870, the population of the entire US was smaller than the population of Canada today. London's population today is approximately 4 times what it was in 1870 (approx 1 million in 1800, ~2 million during Queen Victoria's reign, ~9 million today).

by Anonymousreply 61March 19, 2019 7:23 AM

[quote]Because jobs. Have to get to them somehow, duh.

Why can’t you telecommute, telephone, teleport, take public transport or something? Do your part!

by Anonymousreply 62March 19, 2019 7:36 AM

OP has obviously smoked much, too much weed.

by Anonymousreply 63March 19, 2019 11:42 AM

Maybe if car owners had to actually pay the real price for the convenience they enjoy and being protected from the hoi polloi, it'd seem less insane.

by Anonymousreply 64March 19, 2019 11:51 AM

So R27 wants us to believe that semis and buses and motor homes and big trucks get parked on the street like cars do? Where do you live?

Food trucks are generally licensed by the city and have to pay a fee to be where they are and cannot occupy the space indefinitely, like cars can. Garbage cans are required by zoning codes, generally, and don't sit on the street permanently, but on the sidewalk and are out for only a night a week or two.

We give over huge swaths of real estate to car storage and it's insane. I get that you want to keep getting your free stuff but maybe the rest of us are sick of subsidizing you.

by Anonymousreply 65March 19, 2019 11:57 AM

R14: I've read extensively about electric vehicles - it's said by 2023 they will outsell IC engined cars. Imagine that. And you do realize in the renewable column there's fission which doesn't emit greenhouse gases but there is the little radioactive waste problem - easily solve if you take a tack like France which reprocesses spent nuclear fuel and burns it again and again. And the ITER project is plugging along - by 2030 or so they'll have sustainable fusion of deuterium and tritium. In essence the ITER project is a big test bed. We already have achieved fusion, all be it for a few seconds at a time but ITER is designed to run for 10-15 minutes just to prove you can generate power with fusion.

by Anonymousreply 66March 19, 2019 12:02 PM

[quote]And public transport do not have restrooms! What do people do? I could not handle that.

Your car has a restroom?

by Anonymousreply 67March 19, 2019 1:05 PM

If American roads were in the same state as American public transit, there'd be a revolution in this country. America is perfectly capable of creating and maintaining decent infrastructure. It just depends on what kind. The kind used mainly by wealthy (usually white) property owners in the suburbs gets lavish attention from the government while the type used by poorer, usually browner, city dwellers goes neglected.

by Anonymousreply 68March 19, 2019 2:10 PM

OP... If we allowed rickshaws would you bitch about those as well?

by Anonymousreply 69March 19, 2019 2:27 PM

Mass used of rickshaws isn't going to cook the world, so sure.

by Anonymousreply 70March 19, 2019 2:33 PM

R35 You can do whatever the hell you want.

What you DON'T get to do is not pay for it. And most fat cow suburbanites have cars, parking lots because gawd forbid they have to waddle more than 50 steps to their Golden Corral, and get roads everywhere. All paid with money that disproportionately goes to dumb shit like that and not sensible, sustainable stuff.

If you want to live on a country estate and have a half acre of land, do it. If you can afford it. But you don't get to suck all the investment money for infrastructure. You and the other people who thought it was a fine fucking idea to live 45 minutes from where you work can all pitch in and make that fucking road yourselves.

Some of us want shared transit because we don't want to choke the earth due to our selfishness.

by Anonymousreply 71March 19, 2019 9:39 PM

Read and learn, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 19, 2019 9:52 PM

"I just drove in from Granite Falls, and boy are my feet tired!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 19, 2019 11:04 PM

Angry old men will be with us for a long, long time, The only shame is that there's no war we can declare that will thin their ranks,

by Anonymousreply 74March 19, 2019 11:55 PM

OP is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 75March 20, 2019 12:00 AM

No, just a whole lot of ostriches with their heads in the sand.....unwilling to see what's coming.

by Anonymousreply 76March 20, 2019 12:37 AM

Car enthusiasts live in this bubble of socialism they don't even acknowledge and yet think of themselves as hard-headed realists. Further, they think the people who are pointing out that their existence is incredibly precarious are dreamy hippies who live in fairy land. It's quite a racket they've got going.

by Anonymousreply 77March 20, 2019 10:04 AM

R77 exactly!

by Anonymousreply 78March 20, 2019 1:04 PM

How quickly they forget, R61,

by Anonymousreply 79March 20, 2019 1:48 PM

Lest we forget...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 21, 2019 9:37 AM

I have an Aunt who is disabled on SSDI and lives in a low income apartment complex. She doesn't own a car and she hasn't left the city she lives in in over 10 years. She takes the bus and she tells me that sometimes weirdos hassle her. Her biggest complaint is she can't buy things from more than one store on a bus trip because she can't bring her things from one store into another store. She also can't buy more than she can carry in her hands.

Now that online shopping has become popular she says it's wonderful that she can have her stuff delivered from Amazon/Walmart/Target. She sometimes takes Uber or Lyft now too. I sometimes envy her because she lives downtown in a city. But she says it sucks being so close to people like bees in a hive. She says sharing public transportation, sharing a laundry room, and not owning your own house/land is for poor, disabled and elderly people. She told me isolation from other humans is a luxury.

by Anonymousreply 81March 21, 2019 10:23 AM

Well the problem is that the middle-class socialism of the US government has afforded that luxury of isolation to people who couldn't *actually afford it. And they've come to expect it as a birthright and rage like spoiled toddlers at the idea that some small piece of it is going away, even if it is to help stop the entire planet from being cooked.

by Anonymousreply 82March 21, 2019 11:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!