Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hulu's Shrill starring Aidy Bryant

I caught a little bit of it this morning and it while Aidy is likable the humor seems kind of clichéd and obvious. Like of course we see unflattering shots of her body. Of course she is fat shamed within the first minute of the show. Of course she is a square peg in a hip/trendy workplace. Of course her roommate/confidante is a no-nonsense black lesbian with a British accent.

It just seems over-engineered for this post-Lens Dunham world.

by Anonymousreply 69December 6, 2020 6:22 PM

I was afraid to create a thread on this because her character is the thing DL hates the most. But I intend to check out the first episode this evening. The reviews I've seen have been middling.

by Anonymousreply 1March 15, 2019 4:34 PM

I'm going to check it out tonight.

I have my reservations, but I love Aidy. She's just so damn likable I can't really envision her being annoying.

by Anonymousreply 2March 15, 2019 4:41 PM

Is this a retread of Rebel Wilson's now-defunct show Super Fun Night?

by Anonymousreply 3March 15, 2019 4:45 PM

Male nudity quotient?

by Anonymousreply 4March 15, 2019 4:51 PM

Does Hulu even do nudity?

by Anonymousreply 5March 15, 2019 4:52 PM

A waitress once asked me if I was sure I wanted dessert! waaah

by Anonymousreply 6March 15, 2019 4:56 PM

She came across as really likable on her interview on Fresh Air last night, but the clips of the show sounded a bit one-note.

by Anonymousreply 7March 15, 2019 5:10 PM

Is her hottie husband on the show as well?

by Anonymousreply 8March 15, 2019 5:36 PM

r8 Thanks for reminding me that I hate her because she gets to fuck that dude.

by Anonymousreply 9March 15, 2019 5:51 PM

I'd never seen her husband before. They actually make a really cute couple. Agree that Aidy Bryant is a treasure. Will be checking it out this weekend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 15, 2019 5:54 PM

As soon as I heard the pitch, I thought, “Lindy West?” And what do you know, apparently this is all based on a book written by Lindy West. I like Aidy Bryant a loooooooooot more than LW, I really hope it doesn’t suck for her sake!!

by Anonymousreply 11March 15, 2019 6:59 PM

I just watched the first two episodes.

Datalounge is going to absolutely HATE this show. Not only is the lead actress overweight, but the entire concept of the show is about how overweight people are human beings who deserve happiness just like fit people do.

Datalounge HATES fatties and would never consider one worthy of respect and happiness.

by Anonymousreply 12March 15, 2019 7:56 PM

I just watched the first two episodes as well and I really liked it - very smart. Yes, a lot of it is about her size but I think the underlying them is being disenfranchised in general. Aidy is wonderful in it - who knew. I really like the show.

by Anonymousreply 13March 15, 2019 10:04 PM

I watched the first episode and thought she was lovely and sweet and funny, but it skews too young for me. I'm 44. Couldn't care less about her problems. And John Cameron Mitchell-- sticks out like a sore thumb.

by Anonymousreply 14March 16, 2019 1:25 AM

I just finished all six episodes and have to agree with r14. It's weird to think Annie is the same age or older as MTM in The Mary Tyler Moore Show, because her concerns seem like those of a junior high kid.

I'm sure Annie, Aidy and Lindy all have caught flak for being fat, but this confrontational stuff (the workout instructor calling her a "fat bitch," for instance) isn't at all right for Portland, where it's all about not causing offense. And, frankly, there are no shortage of young women with Aidy's shape in Portland.

They did get the beardo boyfriend right — there are a lot of 35-to-40 year old men there who are still living like teenagers (complete with entry-level jobs) who skateboard and collect comic books and act like adolescents even as they head into middle age.

by Anonymousreply 15March 16, 2019 3:45 AM

The pool party episode was great. Loved it. Also, trying to imagine how the casting call for that went out.

by Anonymousreply 16March 16, 2019 10:41 PM

Aidy Bryant seems like a genuinely lovely fun person. She’s best buddies with Kate McKinnon who I love.

by Anonymousreply 17March 17, 2019 12:50 AM

Watched it all. Loved it. Aidy is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 18March 17, 2019 2:20 AM

Not a bad show, but does every young female comedy today have to feature their lead character having a abortion? Even the highest estimates is that only around a quarter of woman will have one in their lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 19March 17, 2019 2:45 AM

A quarter of all women is still more than there are gays around, and we see gays in almost every show now. So yes, abortion needs to be shown until you aren't constantly on the edge of getting it outlawed.

by Anonymousreply 20March 17, 2019 2:52 AM

R20 Gay people can't stop being gay, however there are a wide variety of ways to prevent pregnancy.

by Anonymousreply 21March 17, 2019 3:07 AM

Liked the characters but needs funnier writers.

by Anonymousreply 22March 17, 2019 3:45 AM

I waited the entire series for her loser boyfriend to shave that disgrace of a disgusting beard but it never happened.

by Anonymousreply 23March 17, 2019 7:36 AM

R15, the time that the MTM shownwas on the air the average marriage age was 20 and the average age of motherhood was close to it. Both of those numbers are far later this day and age. It is naive to think that less important social constructs don’t also track with these changes.

by Anonymousreply 24March 17, 2019 7:58 AM

Kept waiting for her to please take her boyfriend to a hipster barber shop. Maybe for Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 25March 17, 2019 7:49 PM

Two episodes in and I'm loving it. I gasped when this shot opened the second episode and thought how gorgeous it looked, and then the lyrics started "The city looks pretty..." This is Portland, right? Stunning.

I loved how non-judgmental she was towards those dancers in the bar, and vice versa. They could just as easily have gone the bitter "I might be fat but at least I'm not a pole dancer" route.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 19, 2019 2:21 PM

Am I imagining things or was this couple annoying a DLer a couple of months ago? The poster kept talking about them in NYC and how he was annoyed by something they did. Is that them?

by Anonymousreply 27March 19, 2019 2:33 PM

r27 I seem to recall something similar because I remember being surprised by it, though I can't find the thread.

by Anonymousreply 28March 19, 2019 2:35 PM

R19---In the majority of shows that use 'abortion' as a plot device, the woman never has one---she considers it and then changes her mind at the last minute (Joan in Mad Men, and 100s of others,) or, it is taken out of the character's hands when a terrible accident happens and the baby is passively lost without the character taking action. I am old, and admittedly have not watched every tv show ever, but the number of tv and movie characters I've seen who actually have abortions can be counted on two hands.

R20 is right---abortion is a common experience for women, a simple medical procedure that is often chosen without extensive agonizing, by women who know they do not want to gestate, birth or care for a baby at that time. It needs to be portrayed as a medical fact of life, not a crippling moral dilemma that every single woman decides is just too awful to go through with in 99% of shows and movies.

by Anonymousreply 29March 19, 2019 3:41 PM

When are we going to get a show where a woman is HAPPY to get an abortion?

by Anonymousreply 30March 19, 2019 4:03 PM

r30 Sex Education had a scene like that recently. Also, Please Like Me before that featured an at home pill abortion and the girl seemed pretty happy about it. Though none of that is American TV, of course.

by Anonymousreply 31March 19, 2019 4:07 PM

R10 that's a lovely mother and son picture.

You're never too old for mama!

by Anonymousreply 32March 23, 2019 10:03 PM

My next movie is, "Such A Pretty Face". It's a comedy with serious overtones.

by Anonymousreply 33March 23, 2019 10:29 PM

It's a delightful little series that gets the message about overweight people across much better than the morose Dietland, which I couldn't even finish (sorry, Marti Noxon). The pool party and that scene with the woman in red seizing that crosswalk were pretty inspiring.

And Bonkers? You're a star, baby!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 23, 2019 11:35 PM

So many frauen in this thread. Take it to L chat.

by Anonymousreply 35March 24, 2019 1:14 AM

She's getting bigger.

by Anonymousreply 36March 24, 2019 1:18 AM

"There... Are... FOUR... Fraus!"

by Anonymousreply 37March 24, 2019 1:19 AM

Her husband is a hottie.

by Anonymousreply 38March 24, 2019 12:58 PM

Aidy's husband is a fug nerd with gross teeth.

by Anonymousreply 39March 24, 2019 1:30 PM

I thought this show was delightful. In addition to a more broad novelty of showing an average sized woman as human (something anyone in the country can relate to) it definitely captured this weird late 20s/early 30s sort of malaise that seems endemic to coasts. The only thing I found very odd about it is the complete absence of any talk or worry about money. I guess these people live paycheck to paycheck and don't freak out about it.

by Anonymousreply 40March 24, 2019 1:52 PM

Sadly, some squinty cunt has ruined the vibe. This Jigglypuff look alike claims that Shrill, the show, stole her idea.

It's all very weird b/c she claims a white woman, Lindy West, stole the bit about the pool party from her book, or some Ted Talk she gave, but the episode was written by Samantha Irby, who's awesome and also a black woman. And the episode was made before this fat heaux came out with her book.

She's getting dragged on Twitter and Instagram, rightfully.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 24, 2019 2:01 PM

R40, Average-sized woman? Like the show all you want, but that is not average. She is OBESE.

by Anonymousreply 42March 24, 2019 2:03 PM

But in the fat acceptance world Aidy IS sort of normal sized.

Some of these bitches are ENORMOUS

by Anonymousreply 43March 24, 2019 3:34 PM

I still can't wrap my head around this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 24, 2019 6:49 PM

She's a beard, right?

by Anonymousreply 45March 24, 2019 6:49 PM

The husband seems mentally ill on social media.

by Anonymousreply 46March 24, 2019 8:00 PM

I am halfway through and really like it. It has some good music, as well. I posted one of the songs below. I can forgive certain annoyances.

I'm not fat, but I totally identified with her when she went in the kitchen and finally ate that spaghetti in the middle of the night, after her hookup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 24, 2019 11:06 PM

fwiw her boss is based on DL fav Dan Savage

by Anonymousreply 48March 25, 2019 1:26 AM

I loved this...Very Portlandia in its quirkiness. John Cameron Mitchell as the Dan Savage character is so perfect. And Aidy is perfectly cast. The ending was rather abrupt though..

by Anonymousreply 49March 26, 2019 2:03 PM

Maureen the IT technician (of sorts), played by Jo Firestone, was hilarious. I think I actually listened to Jo's game show podcast once.

by Anonymousreply 50March 26, 2019 2:11 PM

This thread reeks of fish.

by Anonymousreply 51March 26, 2019 2:13 PM

We heard you the first time, dear.

by Anonymousreply 52March 26, 2019 2:23 PM

R52 maybe you should take this discussion to the weight watcher forums

by Anonymousreply 53March 26, 2019 2:25 PM

Nobody on this board fucking cares r29.

by Anonymousreply 54March 26, 2019 2:29 PM

[quote]In addition to a more broad novelty of showing an average sized woman as human

Only in the US could a land whale like Aidy Bryant be considered "average sized." She is morbidly obese by the standards of the rest of the world.

by Anonymousreply 55March 26, 2019 2:31 PM

At least Aidy isn't as big DL fave Chrissy Metz.

by Anonymousreply 56March 26, 2019 2:33 PM

Jupiter isn't as big as DL fave Chrissy Metz.

by Anonymousreply 57March 26, 2019 2:34 PM

Renewed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 15, 2019 3:39 PM

That's dope. It was a solid show. Aidy was wonderful in it... truly special performance.

by Anonymousreply 59April 15, 2019 3:49 PM

Yay!!!! This show was an EASY watch. A simple pleasure. Nice for a change. And it's harmless. Has the Girls vibe, a show I am still proud to say that I enjoyed very much.

John Cameron Mitchell cracks me up. He is basically playing David Pressler Goings, his character from Girls! And I LOVE it!!

by Anonymousreply 60April 15, 2019 5:25 PM

I loved the slacker boyfriend.

My biggest pet peeve but I think it seems to be an Aidy thing is those dresses she wears.

by Anonymousreply 61June 20, 2019 6:54 AM

Julia Sweeney has always annoyed me but I guess she is well cast as the mom, she looks about 10 years older than her age.

by Anonymousreply 62June 20, 2019 6:58 AM

I want the boyfriend in me deeply. IRL he wouldn't be with an obese slag like her.

by Anonymousreply 63February 9, 2020 4:18 PM

I made a second season thread here but no one seems to be watching. 😕

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 9, 2020 4:19 PM

Just binged both seasons, enjoyed it.

As R60 said (about a year and a half ago!) it's an easy watch, more sophisticated than network sitcoms but does not require a whole lot of concentration.

Boyfriend looks Aidy's age (I assumed she was supposed to be late 20s/early 30s) but he's 45 IRL and in certain shots you can see it.

I had not idea Ruthie was supposed to be trans until the last episode, though the way it's brought up, it sounds like it was established earlier and I just missed it. Googling revealed that the actor who plays Ruthie, Patti Harrison is actually trans and the role was written for her.

JC Mitchell is also perfect as the aging gay hipster editor--I can totally see his character being a DLer.

by Anonymousreply 65December 6, 2020 5:25 PM

Aidy Bryant is the least talented actress on SNL in over 20 years. I just don't understand her career at all.

by Anonymousreply 66December 6, 2020 5:32 PM

Does she show beaver?

by Anonymousreply 67December 6, 2020 5:42 PM

R29, don’t listen to R54. You make valid points.

by Anonymousreply 68December 6, 2020 5:54 PM

Just started watching it and I like it so far

by Anonymousreply 69December 6, 2020 6:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!