Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Any Stephen King fans here?

I used to read his books years ago as a teen. I was browsing audiobooks the other day and I saw The Stand. I remember loving that book so I downloaded it. So far it’s pretty cool revisiting it. Any other fans out there? Any recommendations? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2019 7:10 PM

I enjoyed reading Misery. Loved the movie too!

by Anonymousreply 1March 16, 2019 1:16 PM

I read 11/22/63 last year and it's immensely enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 2March 16, 2019 1:17 PM

He lost me at "Insomnia".

by Anonymousreply 3March 16, 2019 1:53 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 4March 22, 2019 1:02 PM

11/22/63 is one of my very favorite books. Just read The Outsider and hated it, though.

by Anonymousreply 5March 22, 2019 1:04 PM

His writing was never the same after he was hit by that van. He went on the downward spiral.

by Anonymousreply 6March 22, 2019 2:05 PM

Loved Pet Sematary, The Shining, The Stand, 'Salems Lot, Doctor Sleep and 11/22/63. Tommyknockers wasn't too bad. Loathed Cell, Mr. Mercedes and Dreamcatcher. He was fantastic in his earlier years. R6... totally agree. His books have been hit or miss since then.

by Anonymousreply 7March 22, 2019 2:07 PM

I love some of his books but honestly I felt like the real reason for his grudge against Kubrick was because that movie was better than his book. Kubrick re-imagined the story. Everyone remembers that movie, they even made a movie about the movie.

by Anonymousreply 8March 22, 2019 2:09 PM

That is a very interesting point R8, he did go off the rails in the ending of The Shining (the book.)

by Anonymousreply 9March 22, 2019 2:35 PM

Not really. I admit some of them make good movies.

by Anonymousreply 10March 22, 2019 2:37 PM

Just read my first King, 'Pet Semetary', and I like his writing, but I do feel like he's a little long-winded. 'Pet Semetary' could've been 100 pages less and it'd be the same book.

I'm reading 'Salem's Lot' now.

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2019 6:26 PM

"Apt Pupil" (more like a novella or short story) was good. "On Writing" is non-fiction and talks about his writing process, including his alcoholism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2019 7:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!