Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lilly Singh is replacing Carson Daly in NBC's late-night show

The broadcast network announced in February that 'Last Call With Carson Daly' would end after 17 years. NBC has found its next late-night host.

Comedian and YouTube star Lilly Singh is taking over the 1:30 a.m. spot currently occupied by Last Call With Carson Daly, which will make her the only woman with a late-night talk show on a broadcast network.

Her new show, A Little Late With Lilly Singh, is set to debut in September. The half-hour program will feature in-studio interviews and pre-taped comedy sketches and segments.

"An Indian-Canadian woman with her own late-night show? Now that is a dream come true," Singh said Thursday in a release announcing the news. "I'm thrilled to bring it to life on NBC, and I hope my parents consider this to be as exciting as a grandchild."

A taste of Singh's comedy can be found on her YouTube channel, ||Superwoman||, where she has amassed 14 million followers since she began posting videos eight years ago. The Ontario-born actress — who has appeared in HBO's Fahrenheit 451 and the 2016 film Bad Moms — regularly performs sketches in character and is known for a bit where she impersonates her parents, who emigrated from the Punjab region of India. The multihyphenate, who has written a book and toured with the stage show A Trip to Unicorn Island in 2015, came out as bisexual in February.

Singh, 30, announced her new series on Thursday's installment of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. "To clarify, it's not Jimmy's slot," she joked, adding, "I'm so excited because I truly get to create a show from scratch." Singh likened the show to her YouTube channel, but said that now she'd have "more than three staff members and my sound guy won't also be an extra and won't also write the scripts."

READ MORE 'Last Call With Carson Daly' Ending After 17 Years on NBC NBC announced in February that Last Call With Carson Daly would end after 17 years. The broadcaster said Daly wanted to spend more time with his family but would remain involved with the network via The Voice and Today. Former Chelsea Lately host Chelsea Handler was considered a potential candidate to replace Daly, given her recently signed first-look deal with NBC. Singh joins Fallon and Late Night host Seth Meyers on the network's lineup. The three toasted to her role during her Tonight Show appearance Thursday (see photo, above).

"Lilly is truly a star and we're thrilled to welcome her to our NBC family," said Doug Vaughan, executive vp special programs and late night at NBC Entertainment. "She is a multi-talented performer who will surely have a great rapport with not only all her guests but also with our devoted late-night audience. We can't wait to get started."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 10, 2019 10:09 AM

Liza Koshy would have been a better choice but she’s too young.

by Anonymousreply 1March 15, 2019 2:04 AM

A YouTube star getting her own talk show? wTF?! Why couldn’t it have been me?

by Anonymousreply 2March 15, 2019 2:10 AM

Just be glad they didn’t give it to one of the Paul brothers.

by Anonymousreply 3March 15, 2019 2:12 AM

long long over due....daly has the charisma of a bird cage...

by Anonymousreply 4March 15, 2019 2:14 AM

Lilly Savage is replacing Carson Daly!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 15, 2019 2:22 AM

[quote]Liza Koshy would have been a better choice but she’s too young.

If I'm not mistaken she's hosting some revival Nickelodeon show. I remember her talking about it on Stephen Colbert a year or two ago.

[quote]Just be glad they didn’t give it to one of the Paul brothers.

God could you imagine? I almost want it to happen just to see the fallout.

[quote]long long over due....daly has the charisma of a bird cage...

I didn't even know his show was still on the air.

I've seen maybe one of her videos? If I'm not mistaken she's one of the few Viners that migrated to YouTube successfully. She seems sweet, though I wonder whether her young demographic will actually stay up to watch her show. They'll probably catch the segments on YouTube, but if she's a successful YouTuber then that seems redundant. Anyway, you can watch her announcement below:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 15, 2019 2:23 AM

Koshy was a Viner. She has a series on YouTube that was fairly enjoyable. I don’t watch a lot of YouTubers but she’s talented and might be successful in mainstream entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 7March 15, 2019 2:32 AM

Well this is surprising. Guess they didn't have many other choices.

by Anonymousreply 8March 15, 2019 2:33 AM

They’ve got to get that younger demographic any way they can.

by Anonymousreply 9March 15, 2019 2:36 AM

Carson Daly still had a show?

by Anonymousreply 10March 15, 2019 2:55 AM

Carson's show wasn't doing well. NBC even resorted to hiring "The Good Place" actress Jameela Jamil to occasionally interview celebrities. In fact, I wonder why she didn't get the time spot. Jameela is outspoken, funny and attractive.

by Anonymousreply 11March 15, 2019 3:08 AM

It should be Shane Dawson.

by Anonymousreply 12March 15, 2019 3:10 AM

Tommy DiDario was right there

by Anonymousreply 13March 15, 2019 3:13 AM

Jay Leno's reaction

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 15, 2019 3:15 AM

Tommy couldn't even get his YouTube channel off the ground.

by Anonymousreply 15March 15, 2019 3:17 AM

It should have been Shane Klingensmith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 15, 2019 3:18 AM

what did daly do, stand there for a second and announce the next person....nothing burger.....could have been done by

Katherine jackson

by Anonymousreply 17March 15, 2019 3:27 AM

Lilly is ||SuperAnnoying||.

by Anonymousreply 18March 15, 2019 4:37 AM

She looks way older than 30.

by Anonymousreply 19March 15, 2019 4:38 AM

Mindy Kaling is funny, Lily Singh isn't. Her comedy is geared towards 16 year old suburban girls. Can't see it lasting very long.

by Anonymousreply 20March 15, 2019 10:44 AM

She finally came out as "bisexual". It's exceedingly obvious she's a lesbian, though...

by Anonymousreply 21April 10, 2019 6:02 AM

A bisexual Indian-Canadian woman

Three SJW boxes checked off with one hire ! Very efficient.

by Anonymousreply 22April 10, 2019 6:14 AM

If only she were trans R22

by Anonymousreply 23April 10, 2019 6:22 AM

R17 exactly, have no idea who gave him a show in the first place. Most of the interviews it seems like he wasn't in the same room with them. His big job on The Voice must be interfering with his show. Sic.. Sad to be replaced by a you tuber

by Anonymousreply 24April 10, 2019 9:52 AM

Good fucking riddance to that cracker breeder goy hack. I’m tired of the oppressor classes monopolizing late night TV comedy even though THEY ARE NOT FUCKING FUNNY!

by Anonymousreply 25April 10, 2019 10:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!