Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Beto 2020 Has No Reason to Exist"

From Slate. This article does a good job of capturing my own misgivings about Beto. TL; DR version:

“Those in the know tell the Atlantic that Beto is planning to run as a candidate “offering hope that America can be better than its current partisan and hate-filled politics, and that the country can come together,” but that—brace yourself—he hasn’t yet “landed on how he’ll propose to actually make that happen.” That’s more of the same empty words Beto’s been offering in public since his loss to Cruz. “I don’t know where I am on a [political] spectrum, and I almost could care less,” he said at a recent stop in Wisconsin. “I just want to get to better things for this country.”

The rest of the article goes on to document his refusal to take positions in favor of calls for “debate” and “national conversation”, mixed with empty platitudes. This is the same thing that was so annoying about his Senate campaign ads – they were just Beto saying how this election was critical, and people should vote, without ever dipping his toe into actual positions on issues. I find it scary that he relies so much on image (Exhibit 1: Vanity Fair glamour shots) while giving out so little substance. Is Beto "all hat and no cattle"? Is this really the character we want in a Presidential candidate?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157March 17, 2019 2:28 PM

OP= Hillbot

by Anonymousreply 1March 14, 2019 11:42 PM

He may be the most empty candidate that has ever existed.

by Anonymousreply 2March 14, 2019 11:46 PM

[Quote] Is this really the character we want in a Presidential candidate?

Can he win? Then, yes.

Next.

by Anonymousreply 3March 14, 2019 11:46 PM

The Dems could nominate a house plant to run against Trump in 2020 and I would vote for it.

by Anonymousreply 4March 14, 2019 11:59 PM

That's not even his real name

It's Francis

He's already called lying politician

by Anonymousreply 5March 15, 2019 12:03 AM

[quote]...and I almost could care less,”

Thats a DL disqualifier right there.

by Anonymousreply 6March 15, 2019 12:03 AM

That bothered me too, R6 -- am I being petty?

On the other hand, my reasons for liking him are also superficial:

He has a sense of humor -- he says that every male in his family has the middle name Francis and his son is named Ulysses Francis, so the kid's nickname is UFO;

He's kind of cute, sort of a better-looking version of Bobby Kennedy (also Robert Francis, like Beto).

by Anonymousreply 7March 15, 2019 12:19 AM

Maybe he's being smart and not staking out hard positions on some issues so people can't use them against him.

Is any politician that smart?

by Anonymousreply 8March 15, 2019 12:27 AM

He is a total narcissist

by Anonymousreply 9March 15, 2019 12:29 AM

^^ hard positions YET

by Anonymousreply 10March 15, 2019 12:37 AM

I really don’t get the hate for him. He seems fairly down to earth, and the publicity campaign is simply par the course.

by Anonymousreply 11March 15, 2019 12:53 AM

Beto’s ego is a turn-off.

by Anonymousreply 12March 15, 2019 1:01 AM

And the Irish curse.

by Anonymousreply 13March 15, 2019 1:14 AM

At least he's not running while already in office, as so many of his freeloading compatriots are doing.

With all the laws the govt passes, they should enact one that says you have to resign your public post to run. Not on my fucking dime!

by Anonymousreply 14March 15, 2019 1:20 AM

This is a Kamala attack.

by Anonymousreply 15March 15, 2019 1:33 AM

[quote]At least he's not running while already in office, as so many of his freeloading compatriots are doing.

Yes, but the flip side of that is normally most candidates who run for the Presidential nomination have held a high office of some sort (eg. Senator, Governor, Cabinet Member, etc.) Compared to the other candidates who are running for the Dem nomination, he hasn't held a high office.

by Anonymousreply 16March 15, 2019 1:33 AM

R16 it doesn't matter. He served in Congress, which is the same morass as the Senate. I still say: you declare, you resign. Run on your own time, without a govt salary and benefits paid for by ME!

by Anonymousreply 17March 15, 2019 1:36 AM

Yes, R17, he has served in the House as a Junior Congressman.

But it's rare for someone who has only served as a Congressman to get the Presidential nomination. It usually goes to Senators, Governors, Vice-Presidents, Cabinet Members, etc.

Compared to Elizabeth Warren, Amy Klobuchar, Kamala Harris, Cory Booker and other possible candidates like Joe Biden, Beto is in a weaker position.

by Anonymousreply 18March 15, 2019 1:39 AM

He is the second biggest joke of a candidate ever.

by Anonymousreply 19March 15, 2019 1:49 AM

At first blush, I like Beto but his "We have to work together" BS has got to stop or I'm tuning out. I don't want to work with Republicans. I want literally to see them swinging from the gallows - like the traitors they are. Fuck working with the republicans. They have never wanted to work with democrats. I remember Mitch saying in 2008, that republicans sole purpose was going to be seeing that Obama was a one term president. Didn't even pretend to want to work with him for the good of all Americans. Fuck republicans and uniting. And Fuck Beto if that's his platform.

by Anonymousreply 20March 15, 2019 1:49 AM

He doesn’t just work with Republicans, HE VOTES WITH THEM!

Fuck this narcissistic loser.

by Anonymousreply 21March 15, 2019 1:50 AM

The "We must be united for the good of our country" line is one of the reasons why I don't support Joe Bidden. That and the fact that at 80, he's just simply too old to be president.

by Anonymousreply 22March 15, 2019 1:55 AM

What's the alternative to saying we have to work together? Whatever it is will antagonize some independents we need to win over.

by Anonymousreply 23March 15, 2019 2:00 AM

R2 writes,

[quote] [Beto O’Rourke] may be the most empty candidate that has ever existed.

His supporters relate to emptiness. There is no shortage of them on [italic]Datalounge[/italic] and on this thread: “BREAKING: Beto O’Rourke Confirms He’s Running For President.”

by Anonymousreply 24March 15, 2019 2:05 AM

This is America in 2019

Politics and celebrity culture have been melded together by a combination of the 24 hour news cycle and social media

We need someone we can cast as the hero. Someone who gives good sound bite and who gets social media.

Beto gets social but he's not doing a mirror image of Trump like AOC. He's got a totally different vibe and it's hopeful and vibrant.

People get that you can have a website full of well thought out white papers with hundreds of footnotes, but none of that matters when the other party is dead set on shutting down everything you do, just because.

Beto is the anti-Trump and so he just might win.

by Anonymousreply 25March 15, 2019 2:07 AM

Trump says Beto has weird hand gestures. Well, see the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 15, 2019 2:10 AM

All Trump has to do is keep calling Beto by his real name, Robert, exposing his hypocrisy and he will be immediately neutralized.

by Anonymousreply 27March 15, 2019 2:14 AM

Exactly R2

He's a vapid airhead.

The male Sarah Palin.

by Anonymousreply 28March 15, 2019 2:15 AM

I can't help but think after the insane wild swings we've had politically since Trump that America is going to be searching for a moderate, even-tempered solution. And like it or not, moderate Dems have the best chance to win over people, and I think they are legion in both parties, who just want reasonable government, not wild-ass personalities and politics.

We'll see

by Anonymousreply 29March 15, 2019 2:18 AM

I haven't really focused on anything other than that fine ass so far.

by Anonymousreply 30March 15, 2019 2:21 AM

I agree with you R29

People want moderation and they want hope.

Trump keeps validating the fact that they've been screwed over but he's going to build a wall so they don't get screwed over any more.

I think Americans are just ready for someone who seems like a good person.

by Anonymousreply 31March 15, 2019 2:20 AM

Prediction:

Half of DL will hate Beto because he reminds them of rich straight boys they knew growing up who glided through life on looks and charm while they studied and did all the Best Little Boy In The World stuff.

Half of DL will love him for the same reason, because they always crushed on guys like Beto and he reminds them of the cool straight guys who were always nice to them in high school and never called them "f@g."

by Anonymousreply 32March 15, 2019 2:22 AM

At least Palin was a mayor and a Governor.

by Anonymousreply 33March 15, 2019 2:23 AM

He was a congressman, R33.

Oh, wait, maybe that was Lincoln?

by Anonymousreply 34March 15, 2019 2:30 AM

Lincoln had a hot ass but he couldn't live forever.

by Anonymousreply 35March 15, 2019 2:35 AM

R31 I constantly wonder how everyday Republicans can stomach Trump. I know everyone here thinks all Reps are deplorables, but I know many of them that feel the same way I do about gays, helping the poor via social programs, legal immigration, and a woman's right to choose. Isn't a moderate candidate the way to possibly win those Rep voters that are tired of histrionics and posturing?

I don't think pounding the stump for the massively expensive Green New Deal, for example, is the answer. Climate change needs to be dealt with, but even I feel hypocritical promoting it while driving a huge SUV. There is a way to combat it, and promote it politically, without going to extremes

by Anonymousreply 36March 15, 2019 2:42 AM

[quote]OP= Hillbot

You know, that "fucking bitch cunt" you hate so much is not running, right?

And why would a Clinton supporter not like Beto?

by Anonymousreply 37March 15, 2019 2:45 AM

I think sadly, he's not running THIS campaign for the same reasons he ran his Senate one.

I think this particular campaign is the result of a big PR team who cast him in this role, and it sounds like he's trying out a whole lot of their ideas and dialogue. And, as one might expect, a lot of it sounds awkward coming out of his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 38March 15, 2019 2:47 AM

thank u, next

by Anonymousreply 39March 15, 2019 2:49 AM

I hate to say it, but is he Soros's guy? I truly lament the influence of FY money people--from both sides--in these modern-day elections

by Anonymousreply 40March 15, 2019 2:49 AM

[quote]At least Palin was a mayor and a Governor.

She was a mayor of a small town -- not a big city.

And she was Governor for a year & a half when McCain chose her.

So she had virtually no experience to be Vice-President.

by Anonymousreply 41March 15, 2019 2:57 AM

Beto is a young, non-establishment, non-elitest, non-"limousine liberal", scandal-free, straight, white male who has Obama-esque charisma and the ability to connect with the Average Joe and political peers. BUT, according to Bernie supporters, Beto shouldn't be seriously considered despite having the characteristics that they demand the next democratic presidential candidate have.

by Anonymousreply 42March 15, 2019 4:19 AM

FOR THE LAST TIME.

Beto is not a "hypocrite" for calling himself Beto. He had been called Beto since literally the age of two.

He has posted a photo of himself at that age wearing a SWEATSHIRT THAT SAYS BETO.

And still this troll meme persists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 15, 2019 4:26 AM

"Do you think that the experience [@BetoORourke] has here in the House is a strong enough foundation to jump to the Oval Office?”

@SpeakerPelosi: “And you ask me that when we have a President of the United States who never – you know – please. Yes, the answer is yes.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 15, 2019 4:55 AM

R43, please save your post, copy/paste as needed.

by Anonymousreply 45March 15, 2019 5:00 AM

R20

You are the reason Trump will win again in 2020.

Get a clue!!!

by Anonymousreply 46March 15, 2019 5:01 AM

Beto might last two weeks. Someone should have told us he was a little nutty. We do not need this young man.

by Anonymousreply 47March 15, 2019 5:09 AM

We need this compassionate, intelligent, passionate young man, who actually cares about people — and who has served three terms in Congress.

(Two terms longer than Abraham Lincoln, btw, who was later elected president.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 15, 2019 5:57 AM

Will he be taking his shirt off?

by Anonymousreply 49March 15, 2019 5:58 AM

R49 Has there ever been a shirtless pic of him? Google images didn't turn up anything.

by Anonymousreply 50March 15, 2019 6:00 AM

Wait R14 isn't already a congressman? If not, where did he get the balls to run as a failed Senate candidate?

by Anonymousreply 51March 15, 2019 6:21 AM

I certainly wish he had been elected Senator but Putin made sure the lowlife criminal, Cruz was elected.

by Anonymousreply 52March 15, 2019 6:36 AM

[quote]he hasn’t yet “landed on how he’ll propose to actually make that happen.” That’s more of the same empty words Beto’s been offering in public since his loss to Cruz

Let me know when the media gives this same treatment to Sanders and others of his ilk.

by Anonymousreply 53March 15, 2019 8:13 AM

[quote]I know everyone here thinks all Reps are deplorables, but I know many of them that feel the same way I do about gays, helping the poor via social programs, legal immigration, and a woman's right to choose.

Hooray, they sent a fiver to a Pride organization once, then voted for nothing but Republicans for decades. What goddamned heroes they are. No wonder they're your friends.

by Anonymousreply 54March 15, 2019 8:16 AM

Slate has turned into Bernie Central. They should let us know when Bernie’s going to release his taxes and how he’s going to pay for his bullshit promises.

by Anonymousreply 55March 15, 2019 8:58 AM

I can't endorse anyone who's friends with Aaron Schock. He may be a Democrat (in name only) but he's a thirsty famewhore who cannot formulate why people who are liberal should rally behind him.

by Anonymousreply 56March 15, 2019 10:32 AM

Why, to me Beto seems like a very deep and profound thinker.

by Anonymousreply 57March 15, 2019 12:07 PM

Oh look, another "Bash a Democrat" thread.

We see what you're doing, OP. It isn't going to be as easy this time as it was in 2016.

F&F and block.

by Anonymousreply 58March 15, 2019 12:37 PM

“Beto O’Rourke is the candidate for vapid morons”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59March 15, 2019 1:53 PM

R42 not exactly scandal-free...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 15, 2019 1:56 PM

His rolled-up shirt sleeve shtick is really growing old.

by Anonymousreply 61March 15, 2019 2:13 PM

He won't win. He would be a pretty disaster as a candidate. He is a gentler narcissist than Trump but Democrats NEED TO WIN this. He' like the shiny object and I hope he does not hog the spotlight and take away from the candidates with actual idea's and experience.

by Anonymousreply 62March 15, 2019 2:31 PM

No one will ever love him like he does.

by Anonymousreply 63March 15, 2019 2:45 PM

I hate this guy’s stupid name.

by Anonymousreply 64March 15, 2019 3:12 PM

I don’t give a shit if this guy’s family culturally appropriated a nickname for him when he was still in the fucking womb, it’s not appropriate for him to call himself “Beto” as an adult. I don’t use my childhood family pet names professionally and in this case he does not have the heritage to justify using that name.

by Anonymousreply 65March 15, 2019 3:15 PM

Shame on R4.

by Anonymousreply 66March 15, 2019 3:18 PM

I'd vote for a boiled turnip over Trump, and it'd be a better president.

And I totally agree with R4.

by Anonymousreply 67March 15, 2019 3:19 PM

He’ll be one of the first out. First Kamala, the Amy, then Beto.

by Anonymousreply 68March 15, 2019 3:19 PM

Amazing how predictable the Dem bashing threads are, isn't it, R58?

by Anonymousreply 69March 15, 2019 3:21 PM

He 's good-looking, but not good-looking-good-looking.

by Anonymousreply 70March 15, 2019 3:29 PM

I'm not dem bashing. I just don't think we have to settle on or pre-ordain a candidate this early. Let's get to know them. We have an abundance of riches, let's not choose the first shiny object or settle for the worn old familiar sweater (yes, I'm speaking to you Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders).

by Anonymousreply 71March 15, 2019 3:30 PM

But CHARISMA! He doesn't need policies! He has the charisma!

by Anonymousreply 72March 15, 2019 3:31 PM

That’s an AOC fan too^. I hate that word now.

by Anonymousreply 73March 15, 2019 3:35 PM

R69, stop characterizing criticism of Beto as "Dem-bashing". It isn't. No one is criticizing Democrats as a whole, just one of them. People can legitimately prefer other Democratic candidates. That doesn't make them evil. Scrutinizing candidates before an election is exactly what responsible citizens should be doing.

by Anonymousreply 74March 15, 2019 3:36 PM

Anyone who was alive in 2008 can hear echos of Obama-bashing in Beto-bashing.

It's the same nonsense too.

Haters who'd rather go down with a candidate who has "actual ideas" versus one who has actual charisma.

Because we know which one wins elections

by Anonymousreply 75March 15, 2019 3:41 PM

I actually think that Beto would be a good running mate for Kamala Harris - as her VP. The smart move would have been for two people to team up such as Harris/Beto and run as a team from the start. It's what I'm a bit afraid Joe Biden has planned with Stacy Abrams. I like her but think he is too old and has too much baggage to be president. I can see all the ads about touchy/feely Joe. I don't know how far that would take him with young women.

by Anonymousreply 76March 15, 2019 3:47 PM

I think he’s trying to channel the same kind of effect that Obama managed throughout his nomination campaign. However, although he can appear somewhat charismatic in certain situations, he lacks the same kind of effortless charm and class that Obama had.

Everything about Beto seems contrived and forced.

by Anonymousreply 77March 15, 2019 3:48 PM

If only he was "demanding" of his staff, or was 40 years older and more unkempt, or locked up mothers of kids who skipped school, or opposed school integration, or pretended to be Native American, or who hounded liberals out of the Senate, THEN he would get some respect around here!

by Anonymousreply 78March 15, 2019 3:55 PM

[quote] I actually think that Beto would be a good running mate for Kamala Harris - as her VP.

You've designed the perfect Democratic ticket. It will win in a landslide. In California.

by Anonymousreply 79March 15, 2019 4:08 PM

R75: Charisma with no policy is a recipe for disaster. Stop pretending that the two are mutually exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 80March 15, 2019 4:11 PM

R71, no one's ordaining anyone yet. But a thread tearing down a Dem like this is just another typical bullshit right-wing GOP operation. We see this shit all the time.

by Anonymousreply 81March 15, 2019 4:19 PM

One thing you have to give to the GOP is how they will get behind a candidate when they realise he has the potential to go all the way. For example, Trump was hated by many of the establishment rethugs but they more or less put their differences aside and supported him.

In my opinion the Democrats need to do the same thing if Beto proves he has a shot. Look where all the BernieBro shit got us when it divided support for Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 82March 15, 2019 4:31 PM

I'm all for whoever makes it through. I'm betting on Biden, Beto, or Bernie, but as long as whoever it is can beat Trump, I'm fine.

by Anonymousreply 83March 15, 2019 4:41 PM

Trump's already been instructed to trash him as 'crazy' over and over. Soon, people will just think "Beto = crazy".

by Anonymousreply 84March 15, 2019 4:44 PM

It is not “Dem Bashing” to have an opinion about your party’s candidates in a primary race. It’s democracy.

Some of you have the intellectual maturity of a 5 year old.

by Anonymousreply 85March 15, 2019 4:50 PM

[QUOTE]  Let's get to know them.

R71 are you for real? None of these threads are about "getting to know" the candidates. It's bash bash bash. Around the clock. And it's transparent.

[QUOTE] No one is critisizing Democrats as a whole. Just one of them.

Are you fucking kidding me with this?.Every single Dem candidate has been bashed on DL in numerous threads.

I don't care if it's Russian bots, right wing trolls, or Bernbots who hate everyone who isn't Sanders. It's going to give Trump a 2nd term and I'm sick and tired of it.

I'll continue to use up all my F&Fs on any thread where I see it, too.

by Anonymousreply 86March 15, 2019 5:01 PM

[quote]It's bash bash bash. Around the clock. And it's transparent.

To be fair, this is DL. Virtually everyone and everything is bashed here.

by Anonymousreply 87March 15, 2019 5:05 PM

Are you for real, r85. No one’s saying you can’t have an opinion on a candidate. And I for one don’t see a problem with it - especially at this early stage. However, it seems to be overwhelmingly divisive and nasty against someone like Beto before he has even gotten a chance to get out of the starting gate.

by Anonymousreply 88March 15, 2019 5:21 PM

Yes, I’m for real, R8i. Are you? I see nothing dished out here that wasn’t flung at every other Democratic candidate since Obama ran in ‘08. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 89March 15, 2019 5:25 PM

Seth Meyers covers Beto with a slightly skeptical eye.

The Beto part starts at time mark 4:30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 15, 2019 5:38 PM

Yes Hillary/Dukakis/Kerry stan @ R80

You said the same thing about Obama.

by Anonymousreply 91March 15, 2019 5:41 PM

Biden/Beto.

by Anonymousreply 92March 15, 2019 5:56 PM

No, r89, I never saw Obama attacked as bad as this ( except by the GOP ) when he announced his intention to run. And let’s not compare Beto to Hillary, as she caused a lot of resentment when she decided to run again after she had already lost to Obama.

The GOP have always played dirty, and they are even worse now, especially with how they’re playing up even the slightest transgressions that Beto has in his past.

Beto will have enough problems dealing with the underhanded tactics of the Republicans without morons like r89 doing their work for them.

by Anonymousreply 93March 15, 2019 6:18 PM

The Beto-stanning is getting ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 94March 15, 2019 6:22 PM

What is “stabbing”?

by Anonymousreply 95March 15, 2019 6:28 PM

Damn autocorrect. “Stanning “

by Anonymousreply 96March 15, 2019 6:29 PM

Beto 2020 got no reason to exist.

He's got little hands and little eyes. He walks around tellin' great big lies. He's got a little nose and tiny little teeth. He wears platform shoes on his nasty little feet.

Well, don't want no Beto 2020 round here

by Anonymousreply 97March 15, 2019 6:44 PM

OMG: Beto was a teenage hacktivist!

While a teenager, O’Rourke belonged to the oldest group of computer hackers in U.S. history - the hugely influential Cult of the Dead Cow.

Members of the group have protected O’Rourke’s secret for decades, reluctant to compromise his political viability. Now, in a series of interviews, CDC members have acknowledged O’Rourke as one of their own.

There is no indication that O’Rourke ever engaged in the edgiest sorts of hacking activity, such as breaking into computers or writing code that enabled others to do so. But his membership in the group could explain his approach to politics better than anything on his resume.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98March 15, 2019 7:02 PM

Applause for R20 and R52!

by Anonymousreply 99March 15, 2019 8:29 PM

Lol dudes, no one is likely to beat a sitting president in 2020 if the economy is good.

by Anonymousreply 100March 15, 2019 8:33 PM

I wish Hillary supporters would have screamed this loudly when people were talking shit about her. Let's stick anyone of these candidates in front of a republican congressional committee which will ask the same question for 14 hours and see if they can maintain the same composure as she did.

by Anonymousreply 102March 15, 2019 8:38 PM

R101 Want to turn off a complete electorate? Put Sanders against Trump. Two 80 year old white fucks spittaling at each other. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 103March 15, 2019 8:40 PM

R20: If that’s really the case then I despair for this country because the two sides are never going to come together. I keep hoping that some of the more relatively sane and “moderate” Republicans will take the party back after the whole Trump circus finally comes to its conclusion.

If the Democrats have to be the ones who extend the olive branch then I’m fine with that.

by Anonymousreply 104March 15, 2019 8:47 PM

R104, I think that's why Romney got back into it.

by Anonymousreply 105March 15, 2019 8:50 PM

R61, you don’t think he’s rad?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106March 15, 2019 8:53 PM

R101 hopes Trump wins? I hope R101 has a slow painful death...along with all the horrible people who think like her.

by Anonymousreply 107March 15, 2019 8:58 PM

R81, you’re nuts. Right wing operatives aren’t on Datalounge. Remove the tin foil hat, feed your cat, and call your mother back.

by Anonymousreply 108March 15, 2019 9:02 PM

R104 Name these "sane and 'moderate' Republicans" you speak of - because I've seen nothing but Trump loyalists voting along party lines for 2 years. Not one has stood up to the president. Lindsay Graham was the closest saying Trump was basically crazy and he would destroy the republican party. Look where he is now...so far up Trump's ass he knows what Trump had for dinner last night. Is he the type of sane and moderate republican who is going to save the party so you can have pleasantries or perhaps its spineless Romney who so badly wanted to be Trumps SOS that he groveled for the position. No thanks. I want the democrats to be as ruthless in their championship of democratic principals and the middle and working class as republicans have been with their pandering to the wealthy business class. Block their judges, block their legislation and then maybe once we get back to a level playing field after 20 years of their cheating the system in their favor, then maybe we can offer an olive branch.

by Anonymousreply 109March 15, 2019 9:13 PM

R98, if true, at least that makes him more interesting. Because he’s pretty lame.

by Anonymousreply 110March 15, 2019 9:21 PM

How about two old blacks R103.

R107– oh my.

by Anonymousreply 111March 15, 2019 9:22 PM

Repeating: Earlier Prediction:

Half of DL will hate Beto because he reminds them of rich straight boys they knew growing up who glided through life on looks and charm while they studied and did all the Best Little Boy In The World stuff.

Half of DL will love him for the same reason, because they always crushed on guys like Beto and he reminds them of the cool straight guys who were always nice to them in high school and never called them "f@g."

by Anonymousreply 112March 15, 2019 9:27 PM

R111 Are there any old black republicans? Michael Steel vs Elijah Cummings. That would be far better than Sanders v Trump.

by Anonymousreply 113March 15, 2019 9:29 PM

lol ^’R113? I think Democrats would be fine with that.

by Anonymousreply 114March 15, 2019 9:36 PM

R109: I did say I hoped it would happen. Look, I agree with a lot of what you said, but the sad truth is that many of the more moderate Republicans are too frightened, greedy, and ambitious to do the right thing.

It reminds me of the lead up to the civil war; many of the moderate Southerners never wanted it but they knew that they’d be finished and seen as traitors to the cause if they tried to speak out. And right now there’s a similar thing happening within the GOP, not all of them agree with what’s going on but they feel constrained in trying to speak out.

The big hope is that after all the dust settles with Trump the Republicans will be so damaged by the fallout that the moderates will be able to take a larger share in controlling the Party.

by Anonymousreply 115March 15, 2019 9:44 PM

Identity politics will destroy the Democratic Party and their ability to win a national election. Republicans vote in lockstep and thereby win.

by Anonymousreply 116March 15, 2019 10:03 PM

Yep R116.

by Anonymousreply 117March 15, 2019 10:04 PM

R115 I'm still waiting to hear who you think these moderate republicans are?

by Anonymousreply 118March 15, 2019 11:57 PM

They’d come out of hiding if the opportunity presented itself, r118. As I stated before they’re all cowards and narcissists, with many of them too frightened or ambitious to stand up to Trump right now. A lot of them act like they do because that’s the political environment in Washington right now, and the only way they can survive and thrive is if they get with the program.

Both Mitt Romney and Lindsey Graham are classic examples of this: they’ll both happily tongue Trump’s ass because it’s in their interest to do so, while behind the scenes they despise him as much as any Democrat.

None of them have any morals or integrity whatsoever, but when the political environment changes they’ll be reasonable enough to see the writing on the wall and work towards helping the Republican Party back to a more moderate position.

by Anonymousreply 119March 16, 2019 12:25 AM

Romney was 8ne of the 12 who voted against the national emergency.

by Anonymousreply 120March 16, 2019 12:28 AM

[quote] who you think these moderate republicans are

They're a functionally extinct species.

by Anonymousreply 121March 16, 2019 1:15 AM

You're being disingenuous, R108. It doesn't matter if it's "operatives" or willing sycophants (I said operation, btw, not the same thing). It's all right-wing bullshit that comes from the same source. We've watched them come and go like migratory birds over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 122March 16, 2019 1:20 AM

I have very low exceptions for a Beto candidacy. I fear he is that nothing-burger everyone always references in politics. But early on, low expectations are to his advantage. All he has to do is now is wow people like me at his first CNN town hall as a presidential candidate. It can be done. Pete B. did it in his first town hall.

by Anonymousreply 123March 16, 2019 3:31 AM

I couldn't get halfway past the video where he made the announcement for his canidacy. So much hot air with nothing to say.

by Anonymousreply 124March 16, 2019 5:16 AM

Gail Collins at NYT nails it. This is a pretty funny read about his not providing any policy details, but answering every question with "Great question!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 16, 2019 11:42 AM

Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 126March 16, 2019 12:46 PM

To me, the media picked him out, IMO, he should be older. I don't think he can win.

by Anonymousreply 127March 16, 2019 1:01 PM

According to Reuters reporter Joseph Menn, there is no indication that the teenage O’Rourke engaged in the “edgiest sorts of hacking activity” like breaking into computers while part of the group. But his participation did include creating short pieces of writing known as “text files” under a nom de plume. Archived versions of writings attributed to O’Rourke’s alias “Psychedelic Warlord” include one that criticized some women as “sluts,” mocked them for having “violent boyfriends,” and suggested a way to deal with these women was to call them “completely ugly,” or inform “Nazi Skins in your area” that they had “AIDS.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128March 16, 2019 1:07 PM

He's over now, R128. The shortest campaign for president in history.

by Anonymousreply 129March 16, 2019 1:26 PM

It’s nothing but a smear campaign. If Beto is smart he can deal with this, but he has to confront it head on before it gets out of control.

by Anonymousreply 130March 16, 2019 1:42 PM

Thank u, next. Mayor Pete 2020.

by Anonymousreply 131March 16, 2019 1:55 PM

God, I thought he’d last until atleast the first debate. Welcome to prime time, Beto 😂

by Anonymousreply 132March 16, 2019 5:26 PM

Beto is the Olivia Jade of politics.

by Anonymousreply 133March 17, 2019 2:35 AM

R133, wow! That's a low blow.

by Anonymousreply 134March 17, 2019 2:49 AM

I hope the DNC can convince Beto to step down from running. This fantasy about killing children he wrote is just too damaging for the democrats. He's a liability, too toxic to be the face of the democrats. The 3 minute video he did with his wife sitting beside him, not even speaking one word, was stupid.

I really hope he drops out.

by Anonymousreply 135March 17, 2019 2:58 AM

[quote]If Democrats are in the market for soaring rhetoric about bridging the partisan divide, they can get that from Joe Biden, Cory Booker, or Amy Klobuchar—all of whom can offer their own specific cases for what that bipartisanship can produce, unlike O’Rourke.

When has Cory Booker ever been bipartisan? Bisexual, maybe. Bipartisan, no!

by Anonymousreply 136March 17, 2019 3:32 AM

I'm telling you, Andrew Yang is the guy. He even has a lot of Trumpers on his side as well as the early adopter progressives.

by Anonymousreply 137March 17, 2019 3:38 AM

Team Yang all the way.

Beto is a freak that fantasizes about murdering children because he feels entitked to their happiness. Imagine if he’d written that about black people or women. Where woukd his campaign be now?

POS.

by Anonymousreply 138March 17, 2019 3:40 AM

Andrew Yang FTW!

by Anonymousreply 139March 17, 2019 4:25 AM

Why is Google running the Datalounge search box? I am trying to keep Google out of my life.

by Anonymousreply 140March 17, 2019 10:42 AM

[quote] Haters who'd rather go down with a candidate who has "actual ideas" versus one who has actual charisma. Because we know which one wins elections

Exactly. I'm not sure if Beto is the right choice -- I'm waiting to see how he performs on the campaign trail. But I already see many DL'ers determined to make the same mistake we've made so many times before: assuming that voters are looking for someone with lots of experience and detailed policy proposals, someone who emphasizes substance over style. It's that mistaken belief that led us to nominate Mondale in 1984, Dukakis in 1988, Gore in 2000, Kerry in 2004 and Hillary in 2016. The only times we have won in the past 40 years are when we've nominated the "shiny new" candidate (Carter in 1976, Bill Clinton in 1992 and 1996, and Obama in 2008 and 2012).

by Anonymousreply 141March 17, 2019 11:07 AM

It's always interesting to see who is writing the articles slamming Beto. For example, the article linked at R59 ("Beto O’Rourke is the candidate for vapid morons") is written by Shane Ryan at Paste Magazine. Shane Ryan is a Bernie Bro who donated to Bernie's campaign in 2016 and is convinced that Bernie is going to easily win the Democratic nomination in 2020 (see link). Many of the attacks being made against Beto are coming from supporters of Bernie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142March 17, 2019 11:22 AM

He waited too long, teased too long. Real or not, all that has done is left me with the impression that this guy is selling the Beto show and not really interested in governing. I’m over it. We have too many good options.

by Anonymousreply 143March 17, 2019 11:42 AM

Is Beto the American Justin Trudeau?

by Anonymousreply 144March 17, 2019 11:55 AM

If I had a dollar for every "Is Beta Just A Pretty Face" type article that's running this week, I'd be able to take all of you out for brunch.

by Anonymousreply 145March 17, 2019 11:58 AM

They said Beto doesn't have his own speechwriter and everything he says is spontaneous and off the cuff. Not most politicians can do that. He has a gift but I don't think he has a big political machine behind him like Obama had. I think he will evolve once he gets the right people behind him.

by Anonymousreply 146March 17, 2019 12:21 PM

Beto is no Obama. Obama is more intelligent and his speech at the 2004 convention electrified the country so much that there was an air of destiny about his run in 2008. Also, most of the media and party establishment welcomed Obama’s announcement as the only hope to stop the then inevitable Clinton. Ted Kennedy and other heavyweights took sides early on. Not happening with Beto.

The media has been especially lukewarm. I think that Vanity Fair spread was a mistake. What I’m hearing is tepid “let’s wait and see if he has what it takes” caution from the media. Seth Myers basically mocking his ridiculous quote (which till now remains the most memorable line he’s ever uttered) is not bueno.

Of course there’s a chance he could turn it around but so far he’s stumbled out of the gates. He waited too long when only Uncle Joe (who has) and Bernie (who hasn’t) have the cache to do that. Rookie mistakes which makes me think he’s hired an inexperienced team.

Here’s Seth Myer who clearly isn’t eager to jump onto the Beto train. When Obama ran all these showbiz types were falling over each other to get on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147March 17, 2019 12:35 PM

[quote]I don't think he has a big political machine behind him like Obama had.

Great point.

It's not enough just to be charismatic. People forget that Obama had a huge machine that he & David Axelrod and others built. Obama & his team revolutionized the way politics is done in America by bringing in new election technology and internet and digital techniques and new data mining collection.

by Anonymousreply 148March 17, 2019 12:36 PM

He invented a name to connect better with Latinos... he is inauthentic. He also avoids giving clear stances on important issues...he's an airhead.

by Anonymousreply 149March 17, 2019 12:37 PM

Who could ever would want young, charismatic, articulate Beto when they could have shambling, disheveled, injury-prone, retread Bernie?

by Anonymousreply 150March 17, 2019 12:40 PM

Will this guy actually make it to 2020?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151March 17, 2019 12:48 PM

The Beto stans and Bernie Bros can take each other out for all I care.

by Anonymousreply 152March 17, 2019 1:25 PM

I cringe with embarrassment when I hear this guy talk. He believes his own hype.

by Anonymousreply 153March 17, 2019 1:30 PM

r19 and the other was from Texas and he won also.

If the man can win, I can get behind him. He does have kinda a George W vibe to me.

by Anonymousreply 154March 17, 2019 1:33 PM

He’s a dumb-dumb.

by Anonymousreply 155March 17, 2019 1:34 PM

R150 Nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 156March 17, 2019 1:59 PM

Beto is charismatic only if you are deaf. I haven't seen or heard him do anything special.

by Anonymousreply 157March 17, 2019 2:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!