Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hold Me Papi, I'm Scared: Netflix cancels new One Day At A Time

It was so good, too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 27, 2019 8:42 PM

That is a real shame. I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 1March 14, 2019 6:31 PM

was it actually good? the clips on social media are so cheesy

by Anonymousreply 2March 14, 2019 6:38 PM

It was too cheesy for modern sensibilities.

by Anonymousreply 3March 14, 2019 6:39 PM

It was good, especially after the first few episodes.

And Todd Grinnell needed to be shirtless and naked. often.

by Anonymousreply 4March 14, 2019 6:40 PM

Sadly, it probably had a built in limitation of an audience because

a) it was about a Latino family

b) it was very liberal, obviously

c) the daughter is a lesbian & dates a "non binary" person.

by Anonymousreply 5March 14, 2019 6:41 PM

Since Netflix makes money off subscriptions (not advertising,) they greenlight and renew shows based on how many new subscribers they bring in. There's no incentive for them to keep renewing shows for new seasons once the shows have attracted as many new subscribers as they ever will. Few people will unsubscribe because a show was canceled, because once in the Netflix ecosphere, they find other shows they like as well.

This is the main difference between old advertising revenue model of networks (in which shows continued to be valuable for as long as they brought in eyeballs for advertisers) and new subscriber model (in which they're only valuable for recruitment purposes.)

by Anonymousreply 6March 14, 2019 6:49 PM

[quote] had a built in limitation of an audience

Yes. The show's agendas were plain from any single review. Entertainment didn't appear to be on the list.

by Anonymousreply 7March 14, 2019 6:51 PM

Too bad, we managed nine seasons with a 25 episode order...

by Anonymousreply 8March 14, 2019 6:56 PM

It was very entertaining. Don't mind R7, she can't take a shit with that stick in her ass.

by Anonymousreply 9March 14, 2019 7:04 PM

I like it, the second season was the best.

by Anonymousreply 10March 14, 2019 7:59 PM

It was a cringefest

by Anonymousreply 11March 14, 2019 8:05 PM

I started watching the show in January of this year and really found it entertaining. What I liked about it was, though they proselytized their particular agendas (which is fine, it's their show and they can espouse what they choose), they always had someone chime in to gently chide when someone (usually the lesbian daughter) got too far up on their high horse, and I thought it was a brilliant strategy. The person chiding fully supported the views of the person, but knew when to come in and say- ok, we get it. Stop going overboard. No one is nailing you to a cross. And it allowed the show to make its point without you feeling like you were being browbeaten by an agenda.

I will say that in Season Three, they kind of lessened the opposition and the agendas got very, very preachy, and the show was less funny than it had been, but it was a real quality show and Rita Moreno should have two Emmys for it.

by Anonymousreply 12March 14, 2019 8:07 PM

The second half of S1 and all of S2 were the best.

But this season had some good stuff too. I liked the episode about Elena's first time....even though it started with cringy SJW talk there was something very sweet about it.

by Anonymousreply 13March 14, 2019 8:20 PM

Also, Justina Machado pulled some major hotties for an overweight middle aged woman with two kids who lives with her mother.

by Anonymousreply 14March 14, 2019 8:26 PM

That guy she dated in S2 (played by Ed Quinn) was the hottest fuck ever.

He's like 6'5" and just drips sex!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 14, 2019 8:29 PM

Yup. Totally hot. I didn't buy he would have given her the time of day, and I didn't buy even more than she would have dumped him.

by Anonymousreply 16March 14, 2019 8:36 PM

I agree the third season went off kilter. It's ok to be preachy if it's funny but at times the third season was too much drama and not enough laughs.

by Anonymousreply 17March 14, 2019 8:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 14, 2019 8:43 PM

r6 That's the same model that the pay-cable networks (HBO, Showtime, etc.) have used for years.

by Anonymousreply 19March 14, 2019 11:45 PM

[quote]And it allowed the show to make its point without you feeling like you were being browbeaten by an agenda.

It could be cheesy but there were darker themes lurking behind the smiles.

The episodes where they gave the mother PTSD from her time in the war were wonderful. The twist was that her own mother, who didn't understand why she needed medication, chided her for taking it.

The episodes where her daughter's best friend "Carmen" were sneaking into their home were good. The twist was that Carmen's family deported so that's part of the reason why she was sneaking into their home.

Schnider's alcoholism was a great story that we'll never get to see the results of.

And the daughter's "coming out" which her father did not approve of was not resolved in a single episode or season.

The show had a devoted following but Netflix also never bothered to promote it or any of the actors on it, which helped do it in. People are upset because there's nothing on the air like it.

I appreciated that they added MacKenzie Phillips in a recurring role as a group counselor for vets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 14, 2019 11:55 PM

Apparently part of the problem was that the show was owned by Sony, and Netflix wants to only run things that they themselves own.

Bitches.

by Anonymousreply 21March 14, 2019 11:58 PM

This was so good. It really deserves better treatment. CBS should rescue it.

by Anonymousreply 22March 15, 2019 12:46 AM

It was cheesy at times. But that added warmth. It was very gay affirming. The Season 1 finale was so sweet. It was predictable. And you saw it coming from a mile away. But you smiled and felt warm inside anyway. Just like the original series.

by Anonymousreply 23March 15, 2019 1:55 AM

I did not like the group therapy scenes. They weren't funny, I didn't care about those women and they were just wasted airtime that took away from the family. (And the Asian tranny who couldn't act that they stuck in there and pretended was just another gal was eye rolling.)

by Anonymousreply 24March 15, 2019 2:27 AM

I really liked the show overall. It speaks about issues that are rarely talked about in network sitcoms. It could be very uneven, but the show had a strong cast and the boat always seemed to right itself if they had gone astray. I hope it finds a new home. I think everyone loves Rita, but Justina Machado is criminally underrated. Her performance on 6 Feet Under was incredible and because of her dramatic chops she could really play what could have been a "sitcom" character and give her depth. I'd love to see more like this from Fell.

by Anonymousreply 25March 15, 2019 2:35 AM

[quoite] I think everyone loves Rita, but Justina Machado is criminally underrated.

She was really great.

I liked Todd too...beyond the hotness. Everyone was good. It just gelled nicely.

by Anonymousreply 26March 15, 2019 2:44 AM

[quote] I appreciated that they added MacKenzie Phillips in a recurring role as a group counselor for vets.

They also had Glenn Scarpelli from the original in a brief scene as the front desk clerk at the hotel where Elena and Syd check in.

by Anonymousreply 27March 15, 2019 2:44 AM

And he was terrifying looking

by Anonymousreply 28March 15, 2019 2:49 AM

[quote]c) the daughter is a lesbian & dates a "non binary" person.

Hard skip. You can't appease this nonsense or it will fester.

by Anonymousreply 29March 15, 2019 2:59 AM

[quote] Hard skip. You can't appease this nonsense or it will fester.

Lucky for you Tim Allen is back.

by Anonymousreply 30March 15, 2019 3:02 AM

[quote] (And the Asian tranny who couldn't act that they stuck in there and pretended was just another gal was eye rolling.)

LGBTQ Nation even had article asking, amazingly, if anyone could the trans actress in the newest season

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 15, 2019 3:24 AM

It stuck out like a fake vagina.

by Anonymousreply 32March 15, 2019 3:42 AM

Great show, loved it

by Anonymousreply 33March 15, 2019 3:51 AM

I didn't know they rebooted it until just reading today that it's cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 34March 15, 2019 4:05 AM

Here's another livestream since the ABC one went down:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 15, 2019 4:07 AM

This was a great show. It was better than other shit about blue collar families like Roseanne S10/Conners.

by Anonymousreply 36March 15, 2019 4:16 AM

Somewhere in heaven, Bonnie Franklin is smiling with that wide mouthed grin of hers

by Anonymousreply 37March 15, 2019 4:45 AM

I never understood why it was a re-boot of One Day At A Time, when it did not resemble anything of the original other than Schneider. Who is so fucking hot on the show. The series seemed like an after school special at times, but overall it was a solid sitcom. They did a great job with Rita Moreno's character, she reminded me so much of my latina grandmother. The only thing I hated was the annoying theme song sung by Gloria Estefan. I skipped it whenever possible.

by Anonymousreply 38March 15, 2019 5:14 AM

[quote]I did not like the group therapy scenes. They weren't funny, I didn't care about those women and they were just wasted airtime that took away from the family.

The group therapy scenes provided her with other women/people to talk to who weren't her mother, children or handyman. The whole point of them was that she couldn't tell her mother or kids about her problems so she needed someone to talk to.

Towards the end of last season they had her hanging out with Judy Reyes more from the group and established that she and Schneider were also close friends without any of the others involved.

[quote]One Day At A Time, when it did not resemble anything of the original other than Schneider.

The original One Day At a Time was about a divorced mother who was raising two children. Their handyman becomes part of their family. Occasionally her mother, Katherine, appears. (Starting from season 4 until the end at season 9.)

This One Day At a Time was about a divorced mother who is ... raising two children! Their handyman also becomes part of their family. Her mother lives with her. (Originally Rita was just supposed to be recurring but she and they wanted her to be a regular.)

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I will miss shirtless Todd Grinnell/Schneider.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 15, 2019 5:54 AM

He's the perfect example of dorky hot.

by Anonymousreply 40March 15, 2019 7:21 AM

I've worked on two projects with Mr. Lear and Brent. Great, great guys. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 41March 15, 2019 8:41 AM

[quote] I didn't know they rebooted it until just reading today that it's cancelled.

You must have missed the half dozen or so threads we had about it.

by Anonymousreply 42March 15, 2019 12:03 PM

R41 Are you Sally Struthers?

by Anonymousreply 43March 15, 2019 12:10 PM

It was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 44March 15, 2019 12:21 PM

It was great. Nothing even remotely terrible about it.

by Anonymousreply 45March 15, 2019 1:35 PM

[quote] The group therapy scenes provided her with other women/people to talk to who weren't her mother, children or handyman. The whole point of them was that she couldn't tell her mother or kids about her problems so she needed someone to talk to.

I don't recall asking about the reason for the scenes. I merely said they sucked balls and there were too many of them. It doesn't really matter why they were written. They were a chore to sit through.

[quote] Towards the end of last season they had her hanging out with Judy Reyes more from the group and established that she and Schneider were also close friends without any of the others involved.

Actually, no. She would hang out with Judy Reyes' character all throughout the series (once her character was established). They maybe had two group sessions total before Season 3. In Season 3 there was a group session in the majority of the episodes. It was bad writing, bad acting, and could have been done in a one-on-one pal chat with Reyes. My guess is they did it so much because it gave them a chance to use Mackenzie Phillips more (which is never a bad thing), and to show off their fetish for diversity casting. Plus it was a cheap set to construct and go back to several times. They still stunk out loud.

by Anonymousreply 46March 15, 2019 5:25 PM

I really enjoyed the show. Call me Mary! but it had heart. They managed to tackle some serious issues and gave them heart and sometimes humor.

And I enjoyed the group therapy scenes. For their fierce, camp comedy.

by Anonymousreply 47March 15, 2019 5:29 PM

The theme song to the reboot was SO much better than the original. I like the old photos of Rita. I can't get it out of my head now.

by Anonymousreply 48March 15, 2019 5:54 PM

R47 MARY!

by Anonymousreply 49March 15, 2019 6:34 PM

[quote]I don't recall asking about the reason for the scenes. I merely said they sucked balls and there were too many of them. It doesn't really matter why they were written. They were a chore to sit through.

I'm sorry. I must have not been clear, R46. I don't give a flying fuck if you "don't recall asking" I told you because [bold]you needed to be told.[/bold] Did I say that the scenes were great? No. I said they served a purpose.

Also I skipped over the part where you didn't like the "Asian" "Tranny" because you'd already given me a pretty good idea of who you are before that.

[quote]Actually, no. She would hang out with Judy Reyes' character all throughout the series (once her character was established).

It's okay to be wrong.

She hung out with her twice before this season and the first time was to get her to come to therapy. She was present in the other therapy scenes as were other women.

[quote]They maybe had two group sessions total before Season 3. In Season 3 there was a group session in the majority of the episodes.

Judy was present in 3 therapy sessions prior to season three and I know you didn't ask this, angel of mine, but once they allowed Penelope to start dating they were going to allow her to start doing other things that weren't so "kid and family" dependent. It was part of her overall arc.

[quote]My guess is they did it so much because it gave them a chance to use Mackenzie Phillips more (which is never a bad thing), and to show off their fetish for diversity casting.

Diversity casting is a "fetish?"

Fool, it's a show that takes place in Los Angeles, in Echo Park, featuring a Cuban cast.

There was ONE Asian person in three seasons, ONE disabled person who was injured in the war and TWO black ladies in THREE YEARS! Everyone else was Cuban or white.

Do you understand the words that are coming out of your fingers? Nothing you said is even based in fact. You are a very stupid person and I feel bad for you.

by Anonymousreply 50March 15, 2019 10:03 PM

The Library is Open

and Miss R50

Is READING!

by Anonymousreply 51March 15, 2019 10:09 PM

I love how they paid tribute to the original series with this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 16, 2019 3:25 AM

Here's the original from 1976 (Season 2).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 16, 2019 3:27 AM

[quote] Also I skipped over the part where you didn't like the "Asian" "Tranny" because you'd already given me a pretty good idea of who you are before that.

Yes, and your completely overblown, off the rails rant gave us all a very good idea of who you are.

by Anonymousreply 54March 16, 2019 4:17 AM

R52 I laughed when I first saw that

CACKLED when I saw they had Rita doing Ginny Wriblicki. CACKLED. Brilliant, all of it.

I loved all the Easter eggs - the fact that the apartment layout was the same, Elena wearing old Schneider's uniform, seeing Mackenzie.

by Anonymousreply 55March 16, 2019 1:39 PM

SOMEONE at the NYT was PISSED.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 16, 2019 10:07 PM

I love the sense of entitlement that just because a show is woke that it is indefensible to cancel it...like Netflix is some charity.

by Anonymousreply 57March 16, 2019 10:36 PM

It's getting a little tiresome watching Netflix or HBO get beaten up for making business decisions. The fact is, no one was watching ODAAT or Sense8 or Looking, otherwise they'd still be on the air. The fact that these networks even gave them a shot AND stuck with them for more than one season when the writing was clearly on the wall is what needs to be applauded. But no one is running a charity. If you want to blame someone, blame all the claw clacking SJWs who whine and bitch and moan, but who refuse to pay for these services and watch these shows through bittorrent sites (or don't watch them at all).

by Anonymousreply 58March 18, 2019 6:00 PM

Fun show ... I just started watching it on a long plane trip .... Had some real LOL moments ...

by Anonymousreply 59May 20, 2019 12:59 AM

Its a really good show. Its the direct opposite of the Roseanne reboot

by Anonymousreply 60May 20, 2019 4:51 AM

[quote]The fact is, no one was watching ODAAT or Sense8 or Looking, otherwise they'd still be on the air.

It's a bit more complicated.

The first problem is that no one knows what the ratings for these shows are/were. That includes the showrunners and executive producers. Those could have helped them put together a better show but Netflix doesn't even tell them how well the show is doing and they actually work on it.

The second problem is that Netflix is selective with what it will promote. I'm not just talking about what it lets you see when you first log on. You might see Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda on Ellen to promote Grace and Frankie but you would have never seen Rita and Justine being shuffled around from place to place after their first season.

The third problem is that Netflix works with creators that sometimes have loftier ambitions than Netflix will allow. Sense8 was cancelled because not enough people were watching it ... for the amount of money they needed to do the series. The budget didn't match the viewership and the Wachowskis were not willing to budge. The tv series, "The Getdown" also suffered the same fate because Baz Luhrmann isn't going to skimp.

The fourth problem here is the contract. Shows can get cancelled on a TV Network and then be produced by Netflix the following season. Netflix, on the other hand, won't allow a show like One Day at a Time to do it the other way around. They have to wait for a certain period before the show can come on somewhere else, and yes they had a network interested.

The fifth problem and the biggest one for a show like ODAAT is ownership. Netflix doesn't own the show. Sony does. They'll forgive a show that they own for having lower ratings than they'd like to see but if another company owns it, that's a problem. That's standard practice with tv studios as well.

by Anonymousreply 61May 20, 2019 5:18 AM

SAVED BY POP TV

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 27, 2019 8:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!